Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

Most of the guys come off as dbags in the 'why I'll win'section, especially the whiteam collars. Probst must be salivating because there are at least two Malcolm wannabes. The only one that's looks tolerable is the oil rig guy--which probably meando he'll turn out to be an ass.

I've already learned my first thing from Survivor Class Wars: apparently all blue collar people are from New England. And Texas.

I see that most of the younger girls are comparing themselves to Parvati in the "contestant you're most like" section. I remember Corinne saying on Rob Has a Podcast that casting tells these contestants to say Parvati. Corinne wrote down Candice and the CBS people were like "no, say that you're like Parvati". 

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 2

I remember Corinne saying on Rob Has a Podcast that casting tells these contestants to say Parvati. Corinne wrote down Candice and the CBS people were like "no, say that you're like Parvati".

Which podcast was that?  I'd like to listen to it. 

What I remember about Corinne is that she made an awful mistake in FvF2, that 1) pretty well handed the game to Stealth, and 2) got herself booted.  IIRC, she had the numbers to blindside Sherri, which would have given her alliance the majority and a favored path to F6.  All she had to to was stay quiet till tribal.  Instead she blabbed to Dawn, who with Cochran arranged to blindside Corinne.  As much as anything, the entire game turned on that one terrible play. 

Which podcast was that?  I'd like to listen to it. 

What I remember about Corinne is that she made an awful mistake in FvF2, that 1) pretty well handed the game to Stealth, and 2) got herself booted.  IIRC, she had the numbers to blindside Sherri, which would have given her alliance the majority and a favored path to F6.  All she had to to was stay quiet till tribal.  Instead she blabbed to Dawn, who with Cochran arranged to blindside Corinne.  As much as anything, the entire game turned on that one terrible play. 

I believe that it was Corrine's preview of the Cagayan cast: http://robhasawebsite.com/corinne-kaplan-survivor-cagayan-cast-assessment-preview/

The best one is clearly

Vince Sly, 32

Current Residence: Santa Monica, Calif.|

for both the occupation and for his magnificent hair style:

vincebio.jpg

I cannot wait for his individual thread to open so that I can discuss him further.

• Love 1

I'm not into the themes that Survivor tries to do. They're just gimmicky and dumb. Brains, Beauty and Brawn was a good season, but I rolled my eyes at the theme and the casting for it didn't make sense, which is a given, considering that they cast the contestants first and then decided the theme afterwards. The Beauty group was pointless because when does Survivor ever cast unattractive people and when has attractiveness ever allowed someone to win? Anyway, Probst, if you're reading, know that I watch the show in spite of these gimmicks, not because of them. 

• Love 2

I remember Corinne saying on Rob Has a Podcast that casting tells these contestants to say Parvati. Corinne wrote down Candice and the CBS people were like "no, say that you're like Parvati".

Just listened to the RHAP tape.  Corinne did NOT say casting tells contestants to say they are like Parvati.  She said her handler -- not one of the main people but a very sweet girl -- urged her (Corinne) to say she's like Parvait.  Corinne did not say anything about any other people in the cast getting urged to do anything.

• Love 1

The best one is clearly

for both the occupation and for his magnificent hair style:

vincebio.jpg

I cannot wait for his individual thread to open so that I can discuss him further.

Is this the first GUY on Survivor to have breast implants?  

• Love 4

Is this the first GUY on Survivor to have breast implants?  

At first I thought that was a photoshop man's head on a woman's body with a woman's hair, then I noticed all the chest hair.  Maybe the three teams should be Men, Women and Both.

• Love 2

Just listened to the RHAP tape.  Corinne did NOT say casting tells contestants to say they are like Parvati.  She said her handler -- not one of the main people but a very sweet girl -- urged her (Corinne) to say she's like Parvait.  Corinne did not say anything about any other people in the cast getting urged to do anything.

The handler said "we're going to need you to say that you're like Parvati" the WE meaning casting and also said "if you want to get on the show you're going to have to say you're like Parvati". This refers to casting as well since they are the ones who determine who gets on the show. The fact that it was a handler and not the casting person that actually said this is irrelevant because a) it was someone from CBS involved in the casting process, b) they were speaking about casting's preferences and c) it does support what I'm saying about how casting tries to influence potential players to say they're like Parvati.

• Love 1

No love for Shirin Oskooi yet? http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/215010/

Some quotes from my preseason favorite:

If You Could Have 3 Things on The Island What Would They Be and Why? 1. A goat (or a muffin) 2. Whiskey 3. Beyoncé

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Sandra as a sassy brown woman who doesn’t take crap from anybody. Rob Cesternino as a witty, sharp, know-it-all Survivor nerd who keeps tabs on everybody.
Why Will You Be the Sole SURVIVOR: I practice “voting people out” in real life and succeed. I’m a fighter and risk-taker. I’m super smart, observant, and don’t let my emotions govern my actions at work, let alone in games. I have no qualms with using people or their secrets to get ahead.

• Love 1

Shirin is my pre-season favorite for shiz.

I also like Max and Tyler. And So is so-so, but I am predisposed toward Asian-female contestants, so she is among my favorites for the time being.

Jenn seems hilariously dry, but we will see if that translates on the island or if she just gets edited into nothingness. I like pretty much all of the women, come to think of it, except maybe Hali. But even she's fine.

The men, OTOH, may test my patience. We will see. I took a risk and picked Dan for my pool because I think he seems like a nice guy, but I reckon he's not long for this world.

Edited by Oholibamah

I just read Shirin's bio and it reminded me of why I don't read the bios. Because I hate bragging, it would make me dislike the entire cast. I realize the show must encourage them to talk that way about themselves but, yuck. Paraphrasing Shirin's bio here's how it sounds to me: "I have an extremely high opinion of myself and admire myself inordinately for things others might find routine, like giving my mother money. The people I admire most are the ones who remind me of myself, and I tend to dislike those who aren't like me. One of the things I most enjoy is being unkind to people and I look forward to doing it inside the game."

• Love 5

I just read Shirin's bio and it reminded me of why I don't read the bios. Because I hate bragging, it would make me dislike the entire cast. I realize the show must encourage them to talk that way about themselves but, yuck. Paraphrasing Shirin's bio here's how it sounds to me: "I have an extremely high opinion of myself and admire myself inordinately for things others might find routine, like giving my mother money. The people I admire most are the ones who remind me of myself, and I tend to dislike those who aren't like me. One of the things I most enjoy is being unkind to people and I look forward to doing it inside the game."

Isn't that how they ALL read, to some extent? :)

• Love 3

Love it. Love it all.

She had given me Corinne-lite vibes to begin with but couldn't explain why, but your summary makes the similarities easier to pinpoint.

The thing I've always struggled with re: Corinne is that I hate her, but can admit that A) I would probably be friends with her IRL (perhaps moreso than any other contestant they've had), B) I would be aligned with her if we played together, and C) I would probably behave an awful lot like her if I were on the show. So Shirin may be a wonderful reiteration of the Corinne type minus some of the stuff I hate about Corinne.

• Love 2

Somehow, "we keep filming Survivor in Nicaragua because the hotel is good" isn't the most disturbing thing in that article.

I understand that though. In some locations, the crew have had to live in tents and had no running water or basic necessities and a lot of them have gotten sick. Even Probst picked up some kind of parasite in Africa and was sick for a couple of years. If you look at the next two or three seasons after that, he's noticeably underweight. While Probst and a few others make enough to consider part of their salaries hazard pay, I doubt the majority of the crew makes enough money to make the risk worth it.

• Love 1
Even Probst picked up some kind of parasite in Africa and was sick for a couple of years.

Jeez, what'd he get?  I spend time in that part of the world and most of your finer parasites either respond to poison or kill you outright.  There are a few exceptions.  This is why you spend time in the dry part of africa, not the moist bits.

I don't know the details, just that he was sick. It's not surprising though. A few contestants over the years have mentioned having longer-term problems after their seasons ended -- Tony Vlachos even talked about it at his season's Reunion show -- so it stands to reason that Jeff and other crew members would be susceptible as well.

Re:  Shirin

I hate when people describe themselves as "super-smart."  It's kind of like if you use the word "classy," you are automatically not classy.

I wouldn't go that far, but I will say that being "super-smart" in real life doesn't always translate to being "super-smart" on Survivor. In fact, I would bet good money that there is very little correlation between the way constants describe themselves in these bios and they way they appear on the show. For instance, the following from Kass' bio seems hilarious in retrospect:

Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR: I’m pretty resourceful, logical and patient. I can assess a situation quickly and be reasonable.

• Love 1

Here's the Top 10 seasons according to the CBS magazine special issue:

10: Cook Islands
9: China
8: Amazon
7: Borneo
6: All Stars
5: Cagayan
4: Australia
3: Micronesia
2: Peal Islands
1: Heroes vs. Villains

I love that Sandra's two season are 1 & 2.

And their list of the top 10 players is:

10: Cirie

9: Yul

8: Tony

7: Cochran

6: Sandra

5: Ozzy

4: Parvati

3: Rob C.

2: Russell

1: BRob

No. Just no. Russell at #2?! BRob, what with his needing 4 chances to win, as the best? Sandra is far too low. How did Ozzy make this? And Tony? And Cochran? And Rob C. to be honest?

ETA: And only 3 women. How typical.

Edited by peachmangosteen

Top 10 Best players, or Top 10 Fan Favorite players?

I'm not sure. I just found a scan of it elsewhere and it doesn't say. The seasons list is based on a fan vote they apparently did on CBS.com. The players one probably is from a fan vote, too.

• Love 1

For readers of the now-defunct website Reality News Online, Rob had the site's founder, David Bloomberg, on RHAP this week to do an audio version of his old recurring column "What (insert season name) Survivors Should Have Learned." Used to be a must-read back in the day.

Also, the annual "Corinne's first impressions" podcast is up, too. If you've never heard it before, it's probably only listenable if you like Corinne's brand of bitchiness.

• Love 2

I agree, ratgirlagogo. Bloomberg's post-show recap was always great. His weekly "Why (blank) Lost" article was the genesis of the site. Plus, the strategy articles by Dr. Sadow were the pieces that got me into posting about the show. I didn't always agree with him, but he wrote a piece near the end of "Survivor Thailand" where he ranked the 10 best strategic performances on the show (which he then just added to it at the end of each season) that was mind-blowing to me at the time - someone who looked at Survivor players the way other people look at baseball players. I was doing that from my couch but I didn't have the foresight to actually articulate it and write about it. I had a memorable email exchange with him once after he neglected/refused to add Parvati and Cirie to his vaunted Top 20 at the end of "Fans vs. Favorites." I miss it, not gonna lie.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Love 1

Here are two promos hyping the 30th season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP7Gx1BwrqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdaaE7fLols

Lovely that the promo monkeys want to shove the "collars" theme down our throats. I'm more fascinated/grossed out by the caterpillars crawling on the lizard's face. Seriously, WTF?!? What happened to howler monkeys? I liked those.

ETA: While looking through the show's YouTube page, I noticed that only six profiles are up. Should I read anything into that?

Worlds Apart had the biggest Survivor premiere since 2012 with 10 million viewers.

Wow.  I assume most people here are ride or die Survivor addicts - but does anyone have any ideas as to why this season would attract so many more viewers who by definition aren't?  Cause I don't. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Gordon Holmes was on hand while they were filming the first episode and his recap has a bunch of behind the scenes info.

These are the most interesting tidbits, IMO:

Dan was singing, “All by Myself” in the shelter.

The White Collars were very reluctant to say what they did for a living.

Max didn’t like that Probst seemed to be using “White Collar” as a derogatory term.

Mike was totally copying off of the No Collar puzzle. In fact, when it was over he turned to the No Collars and said, “Thanks for the help.” The White Collars were not happy about this.

Nobody wanted to play the game too hard in front of Tyler. At one point Max even said, “Tyler is above the game.” It was almost like he was too innocent for the politics.

The White Collar tribe seems so annoying based on this. Get over yourselves. Especially you, Max. I find the tidbit about Tyler really interesting though since I think he seems like someone who has a good shot at being really great and getting far.

ETA:

Wow.  I assume most people here are ride or die Survivor addicts - but does anyone have any ideas as to why this season would attract so many more viewers who by definition aren't?  Cause I don't.

I imagine just because it's the 30th season, which is a pretty significant milestone.