Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

I hope that everyone in this season are big TAR fans and one of the twins gets bounced first ep. That's the only thing that will be remotely palatable.

How about just 20 unknown people? Why can't we have that? I mean, baseball doesn't have a sterling reputation on this show, with what a douche Kent was and David's stellar play; football was ok except Jimmy was voted out because he's old but I did like Hogeboom a lot by the end. And I don't doubt John Rocker doesn't have a hell of a lot other things going on at this point.

Sports guys in general are leaving a lot to be desired in reality TV, with the dynamic duo of soccer player Cody and football player/actor/model/etc Caleb on Big Brother.

Just 20 randoms, show. It can't HURT.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Noooooooooo!!!! Not the twins!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  I cannot stand them screaming "Twinnie, Twinnie!" incessantly.  

I hope that everyone in this season are big TAR fans and one of the twins gets bounced first ep. That's the only thing that will be remotely palatable.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. I hated the twinnies on TAR, I'm not going to like them any better on Survivor. Why couldn't they go on Big Brother or The Bachelor instead?

• Love 2

Anybody else see the commercial with John Rocker?

Oh yes, I've seen it running this weekend, during the football games we've been watching. Back when we lived in Atlanta and attended Braves games, he was a hothead idiot back when he was with them. I'm betting TPTB are eager for him to fly off at the mouth and stir up some controversies. I'll be interested to get a read on his girlfriend that will play, too. 

I saw the preview special "On Demand" on the TV Guide Channel. It was interesting . . . turns out they brought in the press (including Pavarti) to beta-test a game, as opposed to just running it. The contestants seemed pretty fresh, despite the inclusion of John Rocker. And I found out Probst keeps all of the flame-snuffers, which . . . I don't like the guy, but can you blame him?

ETA: It also sounded like they were going to force players to fight loved ones for Reward and/or Exile Island. I wasn't totally clear on that, but it actually sounds sadistically fun.

ETA: It also sounded like they were going to force players to fight loved ones for Reward and/or Exile Island. I wasn't totally clear on that, but it actually sounds sadistically fun.

According to EW, the loved ones go up against each other in the reward challenge with the loser going to Exile Island.  The catch is that the only clues to the immunity idols are on Exile Island.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/27/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-cast-twists-revealed/

Sounds kind of gimmicky, but I guess at least they aren't bringing back Redemption Island.

There has been a commercial on tv that had the song with words like "follow me into the jungle."  I've heard it on a truck commercial also.  Does anyone know what the title of the song is or it it's even a real song?  I would love to have it as a work out song!

From Parvati's CBS blog about the season, where she talks about the "hot or not" moments from the premiere (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-blood-vs-water-hot-or-not/):

Not: Nadiyah, from "Amazing Race" fame, constantly calling gay Broadway performer, Josh, "one of the girls."

From her Hollywood reporter blog (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-735669?mobile_redirect=false):

Right away, I love Josh and Reed. These guys won me over on location when I went down with the press to do the preview show. They are huge fans of the show, they are vibrant and enthusiastic about the adventure, and they know how to make fire and hunt for crabs. Who knew a couple of Broadway performers could be so manly?

The first comment seems pretty hypocritical in light of the second comment. She makes the point that this was surprising because they're Broadway performers, but still. Someone in the comments section referred to this as silly and borderline homophobic. I agree. I also remember Miss Alli's disgust in her recaps when she wrote about Parvati during the Cook Islands season saying that she could sway Brad to do what she wanted because she knows how to work gay guys and knows about fashion or shopping or something.

From the article that willpwr linked to.  I spoiler tagged it because it's a quote from tomorrow's episode.

How in the world does Off His Rocker think that Natalie looks like a man??? That's a huge stretch, even for someone as delusional as him.

ETA:  Week 2 power rankings.  This week Spencer insults J'Tia and President Sarah.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2014/09/30/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-power-rankings-ladies-first-edition/

Edited by KnitsWithRaceCars

Just curious . . . how soon do y'all see commercials for the show? I'm comparing it to TAR, and it looks like the maximum number of days between commercial and episode is four . . . which means that there would be ads for the show tomorrow, because I'm not seeing any tonight.

oh dear... never heard of that show before but if they had to go on an other reality show they should have at least tried for The Amazing Race - where the pickings are so slim that they would have a real chance.

Then again, the article says they have been together for six years and Tyson has cold feet while Rachel is eager - oh vey, not promising, unless he's playing it up for show - which I wouldn't put past him .  

God, that challenge sounds awful. Who on earth thought we needed (1) that challenge brought back, (2) a random throwing element added to it just in case this show hasn't done carnival games to death since Nicaragua, and (3) a probable reuse in season 30 if his "instant classic!" bragging is anything to go by?

But there has to be a throwing challenge when there's a retired professional pitcher on the show!

Judging from his general physique, I'd about guess he hasn't thrown much more than a fit in the past decade or so.

What do they call that kind of former-muscle sag, anyway? The Steroid Slide?

• Love 3

From the article above:  Wow.:

John Rocker, on a producer’s leading questions before Tribal Council:

“One of the producers that kept interviewing me during the day–I probably did two interviews during the day–and he spent about 15 minutes on my idol. Was I going to play it? Should I play it? What were my thoughts? Are you going to take it with you to Council? I was like, I probably won’t even take it to Council tonight. The producer says, like, ‘You’re not even going to take it? I think that’s a bad move.’ And just kept harping, kept harping, kept harping. And literally, on the way to Council, I’m thinking to myself, ‘Why was I getting so many questions in my interview today about my idol? Is somebody trying to tip me off here?'”

• Love 6

LOL, see, John's the worst player Probst could ever have recruited. He says what's on his mind. He has no filter. I learned a lot when I met him. He could care less if producers try to sue him for breach of contract for running his mouth.

I wish there was a way to perma-tag a post.  That right there, boys and girls, is the most concrete statement we will ever receive on the issue of producer interference. 

Please bookmark for all discussions in future Survivor (and Big Brother,) seasons.

• Love 1

Way back in season one when Stacey sued Burnett & co., she said that it was going on there. Burnett himself was on set dictating what was going to happen, making suggestions, etc. Probst and his production people are just following protocol.

That's pretty much exactly the level of interference I've always assumed.  I tend to think that's a lot less bad than a lot of the people in the conspiracy theory thread believe is going on.  As this episode proved, it's still all in the players' hands.

• Love 2

I was imagining the same type of interference as well, KimberStormer. It is nice to have confirmation though that they do indeed do it. And honestly it does leave it more open IMO to believe that if they'd do that then who knows what else they'd do. We know they ask those types of leading question and that they pick their clothes, so I imagine they do some other things as well. It's all part of the game really. Another layer for the players to strategize around.

• Love 1

The challenges have become so elaborate, read long, that we see less and less of the tribes interacting with each other.  Season 1 is a glaring example.  The challenges were primitive by today's standard but we saw more of them in daily life.  I think a balance needs to be achieved.  We have no clue why everyone hated Baylor.  And who are Reed, Missy and Kelly?  Who is aligned with who?   Jacklyn is part of the blue tribe which we have seen more but who is she? 

• Love 1

Jacklyn is part of the blue tribe which we have seen more but who is she? 

Jaclyn is on the yellow tribe. Which I guess proves your point!

I think it's a combo of Production loving the challenges and thinking that keeping the audience in the dark about the dynamics makes the TCs more interesting or something.