Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Wanted Dead Or Alive

I wouldn't mind one season per year and a sprinkling of specials - a judge's challenge, a few former contestants having a special competition spread out over a couple of evenings. I don't know how big the industry is, but it doesn't seem huge and I don't know if there is demand for a lot of makeup artists. Maybe there'll be some good contestants and budding makeup artists this season.

• Love 6

Thanks for the cast link.  And not a single female in the group with that hideous fake dark cherry red hair!  

I'm just hoping for another Nora this season, I looked forward SO much to watching what she produced. 

And as always, I'll be glad to see my boyfriend Glenn Hetrick again.  

Hey, did McKenzie and Patrick T. ever get married?

• Love 1

Thanks for the cast link. And not a single female in the group with that hideous fake dark cherry red hair!

Shhhh, don't jinx it! We might still see someone coloring their hair in the bathroom sink during the season!

McKenzie and Patrick got married last year. I remember it got brought up (on the forum, not on the show) when Patrick came in for one of the final challenges at the end of last season and there were some pictures posted. I think there was one of a giraffe photobombing their picture.

• Love 1

I spoke too soon, it looks like the bottom half of Yvonne's hair is that ugly red shade.  *ick*

Everybody seems personable and fairly normal.  Of course we know that will change! 

McKenzie needs to remove that red lipstick from her makeup bag,  Just a bit too bright, though I still love her. And her dress at judging was stunning. 

Lots of very young folks and lots of nose rings.   And I'm betting that Ant's real name is Anthony.  And I'm thinking he's going to be annoying. 

Good first episode, I'm glad we're back!

If Robert (Ze Jherman unt ze Texan) does not stay until the end I will shake my fist at the heavens and cry out at the injustice of it. I have no opinion yet on his art skills other than he's good at attaching feelers. It's just that he's just. that. amazing. of a personality. More asides from Robert please!

Yay Matt and Meghan are back!   Matt was the guy wearing the winning women's team makeup. Milwaukee Mom/short spiky-haired one was flirting with him though I think. BACK OFF MY MAN! I will DROP you! *sneers, makes 'Watching you' gesture*   /kidding.........maybe.

The top guys team was amazing. I saw just a glimpse of that one when they were heading to last looks and went "Wow. That was really good. Let me see that one again".

It is back. They still run these series too close together but I am ok with the talent pool so far.

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 3

Aaaaand it's back. Agree that less is more and one season per year might be a better idea, but hey. This show always ends up being fun. Though it's going to take some getting used to to remember it's airing Wednesday, not Tuesday...

Looks like some promising people this year - Robert the GermanTexan looks to be highly entertaining. I agreed with both the top looks as well as the win - I kept thinking that the yellow lizard guy (aka Matt of the Pretty Pretty Eyes) had a goiter or chipmunk cheeks or something which kept distracting me, though I liked it apart from that. So glad the two blondes won, theirs was definitely the best makeup out there.

Is it me, or is all the ink on Glenn's hands new? I don't remember noticing it before. Then again, I'm normally preoccupied with snarking on his hair, so I could've overlooked it.

Looks like they kept the short films for the final challenge, which I'm glad to see, and they're doing the gauntlet again. Sounds like they're going to keep the variety in the challenges they've struck in the past few seasons, and not sink back into endless monster/gore makeups, yay!

Welcome back, Show!

If Robert (Ze Jherman unt ze Texan) does not stay until the end I will shake my fist at the heavens and cry out at the injustice of it. I have no opinion yet on his art skills other than he's good at attaching feelers. It's just that he's just. that. amazing. of a personality. More asides from Robert please!

Jawohl!

I agreed with the top 2, but I would have picked the horned lizard alien as the winner.  And only the bottom look was really bad. Looks like a promising season.

Lastly, did I hear that one woman correctly? She belongs to a "local Star Wars bible verse club"? WTF?

• Love 2

I think she said she belongs to the 501st:

http://www.501st.com/

Not only is the ink on his hands new, I don't recall he had that much on his throat either. Which just looks awful. I don't care who you are, neck tats are hideous.

I can't remember who's who or what they did. But the look that ended up on the bottom seems to be straight from Ultraman, and the orangy-red alien looked like Louis Gosset Jr in Enemy Mine.

• Love 4

I have to say my heart sunk a little when the new facetestants were introducing themselves, and so many seemed to be in their early twenties and straight out of school. It takes time and experience in the real world to build up a set of skills and a point of view, not to mention a broad understanding of your art form's history that can inform and expand your creativity. [First person to create a slave girl/slave master set of characters because they can't figure out any other relationship to portray between two aliens needs to be booted immediately for that reason alone.] This first set of designs did not make me feel any more optimistic. But I'll still be watching. And hoping for the best.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 5

Didn't one guy say he had worked on Grimm? They need to only do one show a year - not enough potential contestants with chops, just mostly newbies. Or, just change the format and prizes. Have ALL of the contestants be fresh out of makeup school, and have the prize be a job with Glenn or Ve.

Love Robert. Hope he doesn't disappoint.

Glenn is well along in his journey of transforming himself into a goblin. And what happened to Optic Nerve? Now he owns Alchemy - I'm confused.

Edited by Ananayel
  • Love 3

My one complaint - too many guys that look alike - or at least look enough alike that it is difficult for me to tell them apart in the first episode.  I can't just think "the guy with the dark hair is the one who...." 

Well, Face Off continues to be horrible at the typical reality competition stuff, and I am still very grateful for that.  Other shows try to show clips that will leave a viewer guessing at who is going home - and they often end up leaving viewers confused at the end because there was not enough info to make the winner or loser make sense.  But this show makes picking the best and worst pretty easy ---

"Our styles don't match, we are going to be in the bottom" ... "You are bottom looks"

"If we are in the bottom, I am going home because I didn't do as much work"..."I am sorry, but you are going home because you didn't do enough work."

"I think our sculpt is awesome." "You are in top looks"

I can't figure out why they're moving this show to Wednesday night. After 9 seasons it's firmly embedded in my mind as belonging on Tuesday.

This move from Tuesday to Wednesday is going to mess me up - I predict that, sometime this season,  I will show up for work on a Saturday, because I thought it was only Friday.  

• Love 7

If Robert (Ze Jherman unt ze Texan) does not stay until the end I will shake my fist at the heavens and cry out at the injustice of it. I have no opinion yet on his art skills other than he's good at attaching feelers. It's just that he's just. that. amazing. of a personality. More asides from Robert please!

Yes to all of this! It was instant love the minute he opened his mouth.

Johnny, on the other hand, is tap dancing all over the douchbag line, and should probably shut it pretty soon. Dude, stop complaining about your partner and do something constructive!

• Love 8

Rob & Walter are the same guy, right? Just one of them stippled on some spray-on hair for a beard?

Mackenzie got a chair! You're movin' on up, girl! I wonder if she's preggers? Or maybe her feet just hurt.

The right person went home. Sorry Greg, but you took two days to sculpt a stupid news.

That's not a seed-eater beak, it's a parrot beak, and it's functionally a can opener. Parrots will rip the trim off of cars just for giggles with that beak. Agreed that it should have been worked int the design a little better, though.

I did like the Horned Toad. He had personality. Nothing else really stood out for me. Well, the feathers, maybe. I thought Dreadlocks Man was overpraised.

• Love 2

My one complaint - too many guys that look alike - or at least look enough alike that it is difficult for me to tell them apart in the first episode.  I can't just think "the guy with the dark hair is the one who...." 

Like the fake cherry-red headed women in the past few seasons.  "No, the one with the nose ring"......"Uh...No, no,  the one with the tattoos".....uh..umm...."No, the one with long hair"......"Uh...No, no,  the one with the tongue piercing".  Yeah, that one!   ;-) 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

We were laughing here at the Toaster household, we were all pretty sure that we could have sculpted a rectangular nose better than the ejected facetestant did.  Two days... we could have sculpted a 100 rectangular noses in that time, at least!  And painted grey, too, LOL.  His voice-over when he left was about what an enriching experience F/O was for him... really?  All that equipment, wigs, materials, makeup... ONE rectangle!  If I am generous I'll count the chin as a bonus trapezoid.

• Love 9

The judges on this show can be so diplomatic - "I am confident we haven't seen the best of you yet."  It could mean --

"We know you are better than this, and just messed up this time" or ---

"They wouldn't have let you on the show if all your work was this bad.  It can't be your best." or ---

"There is no way you could do worse than what you did here."

That's not a seed-eater beak, it's a parrot beak, and it's functionally a can opener. Parrots will rip the trim off of cars just for giggles with that beak. Agreed that it should have been worked int the design a little better, though.

I thought they were going to say it was part of the uniform/armor, not that it was supposed to be a body part.  

• Love 3

Wow, Johnny is distractingly tall. It was funny that his partner was named Ant, because he looked like one by comparison in some of those shots. And this week's (deserving) winner will be easy to remember because she looks like a Glenn Close doppelganger. Otherwise I've got nothing, but I'm excited for the season. I totally forgot it was starting, and it was a pleasant surprise.

• Love 1

Well, a Star Wars 501st club sounds a lot more likely than a Star Wars bible verse club, now that I know what the 501st is. But now I don't remember if I heard it that way (in which case my hearing aid needs a new battery) or the close-captioning wrote it that way (in which case someone needs to tell the close-captioner about the 501st). 

• Love 2

I honestly really enjoyed it.  I don't know, as we say every season, they're going to the well too often, but honestly, so far it seems like there's still some gas left in the tank.

Drinking game:  Neville says "form language," one shot.  Ve says "zones," two shots.

Poor twinky Greg.  He was in way over his head

• Love 1

Johnny really was into douche territory. His "he started it...I finished it..." with each piece was very condescending. Ugh. I hope for a drama free season but he's pissing me off.

I know McKenzie has back problems, she's mentioned it on Twitter before so that probably explains the chair.

Still too early but I like the German guy a lot. His partner seemed to be a little bossy though. Especially when she was whining because he was using something to glue on a piece and she'd never used it before. Suck it up buttercup.

I dunno...not thrilled by anything. Sad to see aliens again.

• Love 1

Yeah, I was not excited about aliens in the first challenge (or partners) but I was happy for McKenzie that they finally gave her a chair for judging. There is no need for her to stand there while the judges get to sit while discussing the designs. I like to imagine the producers said, "For the tenth season, we are doing something new and exciting. YOU GET A CHAIR!" and then McKenzie squealing and hugging them.

• Love 6

Johnny really was into douche territory. His "he started it...I finished it..." with each piece was very condescending. Ugh. I hope for a drama free season but he's pissing me off.

Johnny didn't take credit for finishing both pieces (that would have been a rather stupid move, considering they were in the bottom). Johnny started one of the pieces and Ant started the other, then, after Mr. Westmore's visit, they decided to trade.  When the judges asked who did what, Johnny said, "He started the face and I finished it, and I started the cowl and he finished it, and we both worked on the paint/application."  Note: I don't remember exactly which one did what.

When asked if they got along well, Johnny said "No" - I think he should have said, "We have very different styles and, unfortunately couldn't find a good way to make them work together, that is why we tried finishing what the other one started." 

I don't feel like I know any of them well enough to be annoyed by them yet (no "big personalities" so far).  If Johnny is such a Debbie Downer every week, he will annoy me, but he thought they were not doing well and he was right, so he had reason to be so negative this time.. 

• Love 3

Well, I said this when Top Chef started and I'll say it here, too. I'm already much happier than I was at the start of the previous season (s). While I'm over the starting out with a partner thing, I was relieved to see that the bulk of them had talent. And seemed ok as people. The one chick looks like a cross b/w Glenn Close and Stella from a few seasons ago, but at this point, when a show has gone over a certain number of seasons, EVERYONE looks like someone else. That GermanTexan reminds of Fade, I think, from Runway. Glad McKenzie got to sit, I too thought she was either pregnant or in pain. Her pics with Patrick were so lovely to see. I'm just so happy the show is back that I would forgive almost anything. Fingers crossed, on an upswing!

• Love 2

My poor husband will cringe when I tell him that it was closed captioned as "Star Wars Bible Verse Club", because he's in the 501st, and people who are in it tend to think of the organization is being huge and famous.  I, however, am not into it, that stuff is just not my jam, so I find it incredibly funny.  But in defense of the 501st, they all spend STUPID amounts of cash making their own characters, and raise huge amounts of money solely for charity - my husband's garrison dedicates most of their charity funds to the Children's Hospital of Atlanta.  It's overall a good thing, the 501st, but that people are now out there thinking there is a club of folks who gather together to read and worship some kind of Star Wars Bible really makes me giggle.

So why was the one guy always wearing that stupid headband, even in his flashback photos?  I sort of hope it's to cover a tattoo, or scar, or maybe to keep the top of his head attached, because if that's a fashion statement that he doesn't leave home without, then that's a gimmick I can't really get behind.  It's not even thick enough to be of help if he sweats excessively, so it has to be decorative.

One thing I like about this show is that I almost always agree with whomever the judges send home at the time they do it.  No stressing because someone who did a great job got cut for reasons that were unfair.  I never have favorites until at least halfway through the season, because it takes me that long to tell them all apart.

• Love 2

Can't say I particularlyl liked the winning look (had i been the judge, it would have been safe, nothing more, mostly because it kinda had a derpy look to it), but the horned lizard was pretty decent for a first look/collaboration between two guys who never met.

As for the bottom look, well... it really was the worst, so no surprise there.

I like German-Texan guy, he's got personality, I hope he'll stay at least for a good half of this season.

• Love 1

While I agree that having the seasons be so close to each other, stretches the pool of applicants too thin and I did prefer earlier seasons with more experienced contestants, I would point out to those saying the guy that just graduated a week ago from the Savini school (Kaleb)has no chance, that last season's winner Nora allegedly had graduated from the Savini school just the day before getting on the show. I just marathoned the previous season so it's fresh in my mind. <br /><br />I still enjoy this show although I haven't seen something as awesome or memorable as the bellboy with the drawers in his chest or the cubist art coming to life in a while. I'm looking forward to this.

• Love 1

I would point out to those saying the guy that just graduated a week ago from the Savini school (Kaleb)has no chance, that last season's winner Nora allegedly had graduated from the Savini school just the day before getting on the show.

He likely does have a chance, given the talent pool. I'm not sure that means that he's necessarily good, though. To be honest, I thought Nora was okay, but was praised way beyond what was deserved. She was a nice enough person, I just wasn't as impressed with her work as the judges seemed to be. Again, I think that's related to having too many seasons of a show devoted to a niche skill/occupation. You end up with winners like Nora, who aren't bad, but aren't spectacular, either.

• Love 6

Is it me, or is all the ink on Glenn's hands new? I don't remember noticing it before. Then again, I'm normally preoccupied with snarking on his hair, so I could've overlooked it.

I think his hands were either redone or new. He's got new ink on his neck, too, I think. I usually joke about him, but I am not mad at all those tats.

So why was the one guy always wearing that stupid headband, even in his flashback photos? I sort of hope it's to cover a tattoo, or scar, or maybe to keep the top of his head attached, because if that's a fashion statement that he doesn't leave home without, then that's a gimmick I can't really get behind. It's not even thick enough to be of help if he sweats excessively, so it has to be decorative.

Through the whole show I was musing that blonde headband woman is Lady Gaga (seriously--look at her face--twins) and Headband Guy is a backup dancer. Edited by bilgistic

Too. Much. Face Off. It's not just that it feels like 5 minutes since the last one, it's also that it feels like 10 minutes since the one BEFORE that.

I fell asleep watching the third-to-last episode in the last season three months ago and couldn't find the second-to-last episode online to stream legally. At some point, I just gave up. I fought to stay awake during this episode. Stick a fork in me.

Will Ve please take Mackenzie by the hand and wash her hair and face, and show her how to ACT NATURALLY? She has progressively looked more made up and stiff than the creature creations on the show. She's a lovely woman, but god, her styling.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

I'm Team German-Texan!!! He's so wonderfully crazy, I'll probably stop watching when he leaves.

The talent pool is getting shallower with every "season."

That said, I will take this show over so many others that are on the air, even with the lack of appropriate talent. Wow, though, these guys are young. I almost wish they had an age limit because you need some time in this field, for the MOST part, to build some chops. I, too, am one who loved Nora but also didn't think she was as great as some people thought. Was okay with her win, but mostly because she a genuine human, not due to her talent.

• Love 1

Are we the only ones who thought German-Texan's accent was a put-on?  It honestly didn't sound at all natural to us - (I'm dating myself here but) it reminded me of Sgt. Schultz in Hogan's Heroes.  He seems like a nice enough guy.

It's a good thing I have my DVR set up to automatically record new episodes of Face Off or we'd have missed this completely.  I kept checking the TV Guide on Tuesday.  I agree it seems very soon, but I don't care.  I just love this show.  Even when it's not at its best, it's still good.  :)

• Love 1

"Cool ship with spikes...we're using the shapes in the skull...the colors, we'll use them on the face..." "We're taking the sails from the ship and using them as fins.." Why?!? Where does this idea come from, that aliens must look like their space ships?!? Do humans build our vessels based on our skull shapes? No! Vessel shapes are for function! People use boats with sails and aircraft with air intakes, but we don't have fins or gills! Do we paint our vessels in flesh tones? No? Then why should aliens do it? Now, duplicating vessel shapes in the character's armor, that I can see.

We seem to have more contestants who actually work in related fields this year. Almost all graduates of cinema makeup schools? Thank goodness!

• Love 7