Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Breadstix

Cranberry

Can I just bow down before the site gods and thank them in all sincerity for the awesome block function?

Ah, but you miss some good entertainment.!

I think the kids on Glee in some ways are pretty entitled, and at least as far as Kurt is concerned his father Burt spoiled him shamelessly. I mean a Navigator at the the age of 15/16?   Don't get me started with Rachel and her stage  Dads,or Blaine who switches schools and buys pianos as thank you gifts.  The only character who seems to have had  it rough financially is Sam, but he's portrayed usually as such an idiot it doesn't matter.

• Love 1

I think the kids on Glee in some ways are pretty entitled, and at least as far as Kurt is concerned his father Burt spoiled him shamelessly. I mean a Navigator at the the age of 15/16?   Don't get me started with Rachel and her stage  Dads,or Blaine who switches schools and buys pianos as thank you gifts.  The only character who seems to have had  it rough financially is Sam, but he's portrayed usually as such an idiot it doesn't matter.

There is absolutely no jeopardy to what they do. If they fail Daddy can come in and rescue them. I cared about these characters at the start because even the popular and beautiful seemed to get sh*t on and I could root for them, even the ones I didn't like. Any characters I could root for are a dim and distant memory on this show. 

For those who like British TV, it's like making Del Boy and Rodney millionaires (which they did and they show was never as good). 

I don't expect them all to be middle class just because they're from Ohio. Yeah, Rachel's family seems pretty well off and Blaine's parents could obviously afford Dalton and NYADA. I don't know how successful Burt's business is or how well it paid to momentarily be a Congressman but sure, I can buy that with a lot of saving, he was able to spend his money doting on Kurt.

I forget what Artie's situation is like. I can't remember if he couldn't afford film school or if his mom was scared to let him go or if he was lying that his mom was scared to let him go. I feel like that was the most we ever heard about his home life. That and not being able to afford the robot legs.

Mike's family seems OK. I vaguely remember his dad seeming professional but knowing that there were expectations for him because of that.

Tina apparently doesn't need a scholarship to go to Brown.

Finn seemed relatively middle class.

To my knowledge, Mercedes' parents have never appeared. I don't think they gave her the money to go to L.A. and I think we're supposed to believe her comfortable apartment and all the clothes and shoes that McConaughey tore up are all due to the magical record deal.

Santana's mother did have to save up a long time to get the money to send her to school on a cheerleading scholarship, which she's been promptly wasting but she does have to work and she has the cushion of staying in Rachel and Kurt's apartment. 

The Puckerman's (Jake and Noah) don't seem that well off.

I think what has happened is that we're focusing on the most privileged characters without Finn, Puck, Will, or Quinn (once her parents kicked her out) to offset them.

Can I just bow down before the site gods and thank them in all sincerity for the awesome block function? 

We're glad people like it, but for future reference: The first rule of the block feature is you do not talk about the block feature. You can probably guess the second rule!

I've been reading every post on this forum, but I haven't really been participating in the discussion because I am now seven episodes behind with very little desire to catch up. Maybe I'll get really, really bored sometime this summer and do a mini-marathon.

I think what has happened is that we're focusing on the most privileged characters without Finn, Puck, Will, or Quinn (once her parents kicked her out) to offset them.

Part of it is that show don't want to be held back by the characters finances, and this show wants the characters who can give them the maximum number of opportunities to perform. Using characters who will need/get proper jobs like Puck or actually study in college like Quinn won't work. Although I'm still annoyed both Puck and Quinn are gone. 

One thing I just noticed, in the beginning a big deal was made about getting out of Lima, like hardly anyone did. Except every single member of New Directions that graduated left Lima, even the ones of screen are at college, or in the air force, no-one had to get a crap job, no-one missed out on college who wanted to go. SO was it really that hard to get out of Lima in the first place?

(edited)

To my knowledge, Mercedes' parents have never appeared. I don't think they gave her the money to go to L.A. and I think we're supposed to believe her comfortable apartment and all the clothes and shoes that McConaughey tore up are all due to the magical record deal.

Santana's mother did have to save up a long time to get the money to send her to school on a cheerleading scholarship, which she's been promptly wasting but she does have to work and she has the cushion of staying in Rachel and Kurt's apartment.

Mercedes' dad is a dentist (she said that in 'Saturday Night Gleever'). Santana's dad is a 'real' doctor (as she told Carl the dentist in Brittany/Britney). So both their families are probably well-off financially too.

Edited by Glorfindel
(edited)

My impression always was that Finn, Puck, and Sam were the only true middle class characters (Sam being lower middle class) in the original new directions with everyone else, most notably Quinn, Rachel, and Kurt, being upper middle class to wealthy.  I suppose Finn's status changed when Carol married Burt but I never got the impression Burt was going to contribute to his post high school education.  

Even after Quinn's mom divorced her dad for some reason I felt like she made sure she and Quinn were well supported in the lifestyle they were used to.

Edited by camussie
(edited)

My impression always was that Finn, Puck, and Sam were the only true middle class characters (Sam being lower middle class) in the original new directions with everyone else, most notably Quinn, Rachel, and Kurt, being upper middle class to wealthy.  I suppose Finn's status changed when Carol married Burt but I never got the impression Burt was going to contribute to his post high school education.  

I thought Finn was what you would call middle class, (I'm a Brit I'd call it working class). I thought both Puck and Jake were suppose to be poor. Puck worked his way right through high school and Jake got free school meals. Also given Puck's Dad was trying to borrow money off his son I'm guessing he didn't cough up much child support. 

Edited by jtrattray

Sam's family started out much the same as we imagine Blaine's to be. His Dad was a business higher higher who took a promotion with a company that tanked. Sam had always been to a private all-boys school before McKinley, so the whole family really tumbled down those social strata.

With Santana and Mercedes there was some throwaway lines that their fathers were a  Doctor and Dentist respectively, but it didn't amount to be much because it was just a split second reference.

Middle class is a pretty relative term to a lot of Americans, so we're probably each going to label the characters differently. I would call Puck and maybe Finn when his mom was single working class. Everyone else I'd say is middle class, which I tend to think of as any family pulling in under say $200k. I wouldn't call any of them rich per se, based on what I know about them, with the possible exception of Quinn's family pre divorce and Blaine's family as we know little about them and he did go to private school.

(edited)

One thing I just noticed, in the beginning a big deal was made about getting out of Lima, like hardly anyone did. Except every single member of New Directions that graduated left Lima, even the ones of screen are at college, or in the air force, no-one had to get a crap job, no-one missed out on college who wanted to go. SO was it really that hard to get out of Lima in the first place?

I completely agree. The first season (oh those were the days) really portrayed Lima as a dusty little town and stressed that there's really no future outside of Lima after high school. To quote Finn, "We’re all losers—everyone in this school. Hell, everyone in this town. Out of all the kids who graduate, maybe half will go to college, and two will leave the state to do it." Poignant and realistic.

Fast-forward a few years and these alleged losers are accepted to Ivy League schools, several get into the top performing arts academy in NYC, a prestigious film program, a good dance program. One has a recording contract, one is a model, another is a Broadway star. What the hell? "Getting out of Lima", which once seemed like a far-away dream, turns out to be easy-peasy.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 2

I completely agree. The first season (oh those were the days) really portrayed Lima as a dusty little town and stressed that there's really no future outside of Lima after high school. To quote Finn, "We’re all losers—everyone in this school. Hell, everyone in this town. Out of all the kids who graduate, maybe half will go to college, and two will leave the state to do it." Poignant and realistic.

Every single idea in Finn's quote was belied in virtually every scene of Glee, starting with the pilot. (Aside from the characters in the show, look at the faces and clothes of the anonymous students in the background. Google high school championships in cheerleading and show choir.) WMHS is a school to which solidly middle-class Jews, Asians, educated/cultured/doting gay dads, doctors, and dentists CHOOSE to send their kids. As such, its test scores would be in the 80th percentile (minimum) in any state in the country, and virtually all its graduates would go to a college of some sort, many out of state and many highly selective. Applied in a broad-brush manner to ND's members, "loser" was one of the most ludicrously unrealistic notions ever introduced on "Glee".

I don't think Finn's point was that no one could leave Lima. It's not the fucking Dome? There's no magical force field around the town. I think his point was that like a lot of mediocre places in America no one really aspired to anything better. No one imagined a life for themselves outside its rather circumscribed expectations. It's not that people couldn't leave Lima that made them losers in Finns mind. It's that no one aspired to.

So I don't see a contradiction here, I see the fulfillment of Will's dreams and lessons for the kids. He taught them to want something more for themselves and take it. Now certainly someone hailing from a similarly uninspiring place (as I do) is welcome to take issue with that (as I don't, because I was one of the gay kids who had to dream bigger and get out), but for once it's not a design flaw in the show. I think it was the whole point. Ryan's also one of the kids who dreamed bigger and got out, obv.

• Love 2

Daring to dream for something and working hard for it is one thing. Having every single member of the glee club get into a highly elite, in some cases world-class, institution of higher learning is another. No one is saying that there was a force field around Lima, but statistical probability was working against these kids. I could have seen a couple of the kids getting into their dream schools, and working their way up their respective educational and career ladders. But all of them? Into Yale? Brown? NYADA (the real-life equivalent of which is I'm guessing Julliard/NYCDA-caliber)? A record label at 18? It just reeked of impossibility, like Gossip Girl did (where 20-year-olds were a corporation owner, #1 New York Times bestselling author, fashion designer, and major tabloid publisher).

RIB went from one extreme (we're all "losers" destined to live out lives of quiet desperation in this podunk town) to another (we're superstars in our fields less than a year after graduating high school).

WMHS is a school to which solidly middle-class Jews, Asians, educated/cultured/doting gay dads, doctors, and dentists CHOOSE to send their kids.

I just assumed it was the only public high school in their district. They made a point of saying Breadstix was the only restaurant in their area, so I'm guessing Lima was a small town and there weren't many educational opportunities.

• Love 2

It just reeked of impossibility, like Gossip Girl did (where 20-year-olds were a corporation owner, #1 New York Times bestselling author, fashion designer, and major tabloid publisher).

I think it made a little more sense with Gossip Girl since in most cases the characters "inherited" their positions. Like if instead of being a dentist, Mercedes' dad worked in the music industry and got her a contract that would be a Gossip Girl kind of scenario. I really just think that the world of Glee is inconsistent. I do think they wanted to sell the idea of Lima losers but as they continued to flesh out the character backstories and push them towards personal successes they kind of forgot the original premise. 

Well, yes, McKinley's most recent graduating class is most definitely punching above its weight. I'm not saying the level of success they're achieving is realistic. I'm just saying it's not that hard to get out of Lima, OH, period. I still maintain Finn's point was that no one even tried. That's why they were losers in his mind.

I wonder if it was a moment of self-pity on Finn's part as well. He was quarterback, but his team never won; he was dating the head cheerleader, but she never let him get past first base; his grades were terrible; his buddies were bullies and he didn't get much pleasure out of that. Maybe Finn was projecting a lot with the "loser" comment in the pilot.

Or it was a pilot and therefore a lot of changes happened before the show got a full season and RIB couldn't decide what Lima was. Eh, I dunno.

(edited)

Paraplegic Artie (with RJR to his credit) in a top-notch film school, Mike in a great dance program, and valedictorian Tina wait-listed at Brown are all completely realistic. A girl with Quinn's looks and honor roll status, who got pregnant in high school and was kicked out by a right-wing father, would be a shoo-in at Yale with its prestigious theater program.

Julliard is for would-be opera singers, only, among vocalists. I know of no school of NYADA's type with the stature accorded to it on the show. Rachel wouldn't have just gotten in, she'd have been given a scholarship. The most unrealistic aspect of her SL was not in her being selected for Fanny (if I were a producer, I would take her any day over Lea Michele), it was in having a prodigy fail in all her auditions and, despite being terrified of wasting her high school years, devoting her time exclusively to a show choir, going so far as to leave the lead and directorship of "Cabaret" to be with her "friends". (Lea could afford such slumming because she was already a Broadway veteran.) It's the enormous discrepancy between this contrived inexperience and her sudden stardom that is so jarring.

The absence herein of a defense of the realism of the post-graduation success of any other character should speak for itself. And if it's injustice and/or improbability that's the issue, I'd throw in the election success of Burt Hummel and the failure of Jesse St. James.

Academically ambitious, well-to-do parents do not rely on the school that happens to be in their district. They either buy a house in a district with a good public school or go to a private one. When all else fails (as in the case of Berkeley, CA, whose lone HS serves the entire university city), they make sure there are AP/IB classes to segregate their darlings from the riff raff.

Here's real kids who might get into a NYADA:

http://video.pbs.org/program/broadway-or-bust/

Edited by Higgs

Is anyone defending the McKinley grads post hs success as realistic, or should we keep beating this straw man?

No, but the show was originally about losers who even when they had it good had to struggled, now they all have it easy and it's dull. I'd like to see 

For the first couple of seasons they struggled for everything and when they got one step forward often it was followed by two steps back. And mostly I cheered them on the whole way. I'm not a Rachel fan, but when she pulled off 'Don't Rain on my Parade' at the last minute I loved it (I love that performance too), same with the original songs at regionals (Nationals not so much). 

For the passed three seasons everyone got what they wanted, they maybe got the occasional knock back but mostly they all got what they wanted. I'd love to see what the graduates had done had their parents said 'get a job, get a proper college degree or you're on your own' it wouldn't be realistic for Rachel or Kurt but perfectly plausible for Mike, Mercedes or Blaine. Everyone around them seems to exist to facilitate their dreams (parents, teachers, colleges etc), not only is life not like that, good writing isn't like that. Characters have to overcome obstacles and these characters don't.

(edited)

Yeah, I mean, the writers of this show are terrible, what can one say, really? The reason the characters haven't struggled more is those storylines would have required more forethought and planning.

Though I've always been in this more for the hot cheerleaders so aside from Santana's (botched) struggle idgaf about people struggling to sing or whatever.

Edited by bravelittletoaster

Is anyone defending the McKinley grads post hs success as realistic

Well, the post directly above yours is.

or should we keep beating this straw man?

It's a thread to talk about Glee as a whole and we're talking about one of the main tenets of the story - that these were losers stuck in a small town with no hopes of getting out or imagining a better life for themselves. Some of us think the very premise was flawed, some think the kids' success is realistic, some think it was definitely not. I'm not seeing the strawman. 

• Love 1

And some of us (or one of us anyhow) think the show is poorly executed in myriad ways and it's a bit of a head scratcher to belabor this one point, I guess

I just think Glee not being on the face of it about a bunch of struggling losers is a bit like Breaking Bad not being about drug dealers, or Buffy not being a Vampire Slayer.

Only one person really seems to disagree with you on that, so how much energy do you want to spend restating it, you know? Like bravelittletoaster said, there are so many more problems to discuss! You know it's bad when a show involving Broadway makes Smash look totally realistic.

• Love 1

Fair enough.

You know it's bad when a show involving Broadway makes Smash look totally realistic.

Yikes. I've never seen Smash before; I'm kind of hesitant to now. Rachel's Broadway life makes me cringe enough as it is.

Oooh! Thank you. Quoting Annoying Actor Friend for truthy truthiness:

“While we’re on the subject of [Peter] Facinelli, anytime there has been a commanding older male presence on GLEE (Morrison, Stamos, Bomer), they sorta look like they are from a forty-eight year old gay man’s fantasy of a speed dating lineup. I mean, who is in charge of this show?”

• Love 1

“While we’re on the subject of [Peter] Facinelli, anytime there has been a commanding older male presence on GLEE (Morrison, Stamos, Bomer), they sorta look like they are from a forty-eight year old gay man’s fantasy of a speed dating lineup. I mean, who is in charge of this show?”

Well....

• Love 1

While we’re on the subject of [Peter] Facinelli, anytime there has been a commanding older male presence on GLEE (Morrison, Stamos, Bomer), they sorta look like they are from a forty-eight year old gay man’s fantasy of a speed dating lineup.

The above quote is a fatuous tautology. BY DEFINITION, "a COMMANDING male presence" in any TV, movie, or play would be sexually attractive to middle-aged gays (and also, by pure coincidence, I suppose, to HETEROSEXUAL WOMEN). While I have linked to this myself for its humor, it's a mite dangerous to use as authoritative someone who says upfront that: "I have not watched GLEE since its first season. I have only ever seen maybe four episodes of GLEE." And while we're at it, let's not forget Cheyenne Jackson, the second greatest male singer, after Groban, to ever appear on GLEE, and who actually is gay.

I mean, who is in charge of this show?

I'll tell you who's in charge. It's the same man who:

1. began with a pilot script that didn't include a single gay character in a show about a high school musical group,

2. had a gay character act on the assumption that sexuality was a choice (Kurt/Finn),

3. had a gay character deride the very idea of bisexuality,

4. mocked a gay character's acting as hopelessly effeminate (Kurt/R&J audition), far beyond the criticism accorded the talent of any other character.

Many more similar items could be added to this list. My points are that there is not and never has been a "St. Kurt", Ryan Murphy is not a talentless hack pushing a "gay agenda" or ruled by his own hormonal urges, and a great deal of the conventional wisdom about GLEE (especially regarding Rachel) is neither conventional nor wise.

Full disclosure: I couldn't stand most of Kurt!Lima and have used the term "mindless idiocy" and its variants in reference to GLEE.

mocked a gay character's acting as hopelessly effeminate (Kurt/R&J audition), far beyond the criticism accorded the talent of any other character.

I don't think anything bugged me more in season 3 than the idea that Kurt couldn't pull off a romantic lead. I didn't buy it for a second. 

Mind you I never bought that Kurt it a stereotypical gay while Blaine is 'straight acting'. Blaine acts about as straight as Jack from Will & Grace. 

He also has the attention span of a goldfish. Starts an intriguing project (darkly funny high school satire that simultaneously uses and pokes fun at the musical comedy genre), has a really good start, then absolutely ruins it, sells out, and moves on to other project, leaving behind a preachy, uber-PC, logic-free, continuity-free mess.

It somehow ends up a bigger disappointment because it started so well and seemed so promising.

Starts an intriguing project (darkly funny high school satire that simultaneously uses and pokes fun at the musical comedy genre)

It's also worth noting it wasn't his idea, which I didn't know once upon a time when I gave him too much credit.  I believe it was Ian's concept, based on his own highschool experiences [his and Jennifer Morrison's, randomly, which is why she's listed as a producer for Glee].  

But even for the concepts that Ryan did create, I mean, sure, coming up with good ideas for tv shows that you can only sustain at quality for a season is a skill.  It's not one of the great skills in my book, but I guess it's a skill to have.  But he's a pretty high maintenance talent if he has to be surrounded by a team of people to actually carry out and sustain these ideas for him long term.  

I wonder if it was a moment of self-pity on Finn's part as well. He was quarterback, but his team never won; he was dating the head cheerleader, but she never let him get past first base; his grades were terrible; his buddies were bullies and he didn't get much pleasure out of that. Maybe Finn was projecting a lot with the "loser" comment in the pilot.

Or it was a pilot and therefore a lot of changes happened before the show got a full season and RIB couldn't decide what Lima was. Eh, I dunno.

Hmmm, all good points I never thought about. Still, the Lima Loser theme was, to me, a case of telling and not showing. If we'd had had Sue Sylvester has a WM grad that couldn't leave or seen more townsfolk that couldn't leave for one reason or anotherit would have resonated bit more.

I could accept the underdogs not being underdogs anymore. Hell, that in itself could have been interesting to see the former losers being accepted by new folks for who they are and not getting slushied every day and perhaps Kurt and/or Rachel struggling with the new identity. So many other ways this show could've gone and not been an irredeemable hot mess.

I'm going to say it now... I have absolutely nil in the way of expectations for next season. Without the promise of renewal (to use as leverage to get RM to behave), I fully expect season six to go beyond train wreak and become a disaster of Chernobyl/Fukashima proportions. There will be nothing to stop RM from indulging whatever whims float his boat. I expect more of the Lea Michele Show (since it's not even Rachel that we're watching any longer), more of Darren Criss's epic mediocrity, more of Chord's attempts to "act", more song performances that have absolutely nothing to do with the storyline, stunt-cast guest stars taking time away from actual characters and Kurt being totally sidelined up until his wedding (reinforcing that wonderful message that if you're a gay kid from a small town, you have to marry the first gay boy you meet).

I'm grateful that Chris and Kevin had projects that should keep them from having to endure too much awfulness, and I'm sure that I will take a malcious pleasure in watching the ratings plummet to 9th ring of Hell levels, but I can't help from mourn what we lost. My hope for the finale is something along the lines of what happened on Little House on the Prairie, where they dynamited the whole town. Seeing the last shot on Glee being McKinley going up in a mushroom cloud would certainly put a smile on my face.

• Love 6
(edited)

With Kevin, Chris and (I'm assuming ) Naya Rivera missing from some of the first few episodes or limited due to other projects, it's going to be Lea, Darren and Chord the leads of the show, though realistically based on last year, it was going to be those 3 regardless.

Fully expect yet another split or even triple narrative, with Sam becoming Finn 2.0 and Jane and Matt shoehorned in as McKinley Glee rises from the ashes.

The actor I most feel bad for is Matt Morrison, forced to be a prop for Leader Sam. With Jayma off Glee Matt has practically no one to play off other than Will/Sue rehashing feud # 1001. Seems Dot isn't a fave anymore so that's that. It will probably be Roz and God help us, Becky with ample screen time and whenever Paltrow can pencil in the time she will get numbers and an episode centered around her.

What not have thought this previously, but wouldn't be shocked if RM brings back the Noobs simply because he can.

As a mid season replacement, despite the loss of 4 hours of X FACTOR in the prime time schedule FOX has clearly indicated how little faith they have left in Glee as far as ratings viability.

It's not going to be pretty, unfortunately.

Edited by caracas1914

I'm going to say it now... I have absolutely nil in the way of expectations for next season. Without the promise of renewal (to use as leverage to get RM to behave), I fully expect season six to go beyond train wreak and become a disaster of Chernobyl/Fukashima proportions. There will be nothing to stop RM from indulging whatever whims float his boat. I expect more of the Lea Michele Show (since it's not even Rachel that we're watching any longer), more of Darren Criss's epic mediocrity, more of Chord's attempts to "act", more song performances that have absolutely nothing to do with the storyline, stunt-cast guest stars taking time away from actual characters and Kurt being totally sidelined up until his wedding (reinforcing that wonderful message that if you're a gay kid from a small town, you have to marry the first gay boy you meet).

It's saying something that I really don't want to see my favourite characters back next season. I hope they leave Tina, Quinn, Mike, Puck, and the newbies off screen and happy. I'd like Kurt and Artie to join them, and I'm not sure I want Santana back.  

How bad is a show when your glad your favourites are gone and don't want them back?

• Love 5

Quinn is the one character that as much as I did enjoy her, I think her major arc was finished. Her major fear was remaining a Lima Loser, ends up pregnant, becomes a social pariah but bounces back and goes off to Yale. Not much else that's been seen of her since has had any added benefit.

Which speaking of, her and Puck? Just no. Beyond the obvious in show reasons, military relationships are hard to keep up. I've seen more than a few relationships go tits up for everything from long distance issuez to PTSD. Not that we'd see any of that, but it's a nitpick I can't overlook, even if it's low on the Major Fuck Ups of Glee list.

(edited)

As long as it wasn't going to be shown, except for maybe the finale or whatever, I kinda feel like having Sam be the one she ended up with was a good way for him to end up (i.e.  write him out!).   I always kinda thought he had unresolved feelings there, and that's as good as any reason  why he then proceeded to date every other female on the show that wasn't tied down.   I also thought he had the  most believable chemistry with her, as boring as it was.    I mean, I'll always be curious what Kurt and (season two) Sam would have been like.... my head cannon has flashes of Sam yelling at Blaine  to STAY AWAY....but alas.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1