Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Walk With Me

Rewatching the early seasons, I'm annoyed knowing what comes later with John Hoynes. Not the affair, because I get that things like that happen. But the storyline with his book, re-entry as a sleazy politician, the CJ ONS, etc.  I really, really liked early seasons Hoynes.  Even when he resigned, he did it fairly honorably. He admitted he made a mistake, and he resigned.  When they brought him back, all they were lacking was giving him a mustache to twirl while he laughed evilly.

Let's see, what happened in between.....no more Aaron Sorkin! A lot of the characters got changed for the worse after Season 4.  I think it is why I had no trouble with them bringing on Santos and Vinnick etc...

• Love 3

So, I'm completely obsessed with the musical Hamilton. I think it's been well publicized that Lin Manuel Miranda is a Wingnut and he credited TWW as a major inspiration. It delights me that my still reigning champ favorite TV show inspired such a brilliant, transformative musical. Listening to the soundtrack, I noted the refrain "I'm looking for a mind at work" (a big part of The Schuyler Sisters) was said by Sam to Ainsley in The US Poet Laureate. Eliza tells Hamilton that he only needs to come home to make her happy like Jed to Ellie. 

• Love 5

@Melancholy, I have to ask- are we the same person? Do I have a second id I post under and forgot? We seem to watch the same shows and now share a Hamilton obsession?

I think I need to find the Hamilton soundtrack bc I haven't had a chance to see it yet and I really want to but it's not anywhere around and we can afford to travel to see it besides I'd have to drug hubby to get him there lol

On 3/25/2017 at 8:03 PM, twinkietwin94 said:

I think I need to find the Hamilton soundtrack bc I haven't had a chance to see it yet and I really want to but it's not anywhere around and we can afford to travel to see it besides I'd have to drug hubby to get him there lol

If you have Amazon Prime or Spotify, you can listen to it for free.  

I would suggest listening to the whole thing in order the first 2 listens or so to familiarize yourself with it.  

Eliza tells Hamilton that he only needs to come home to make her happy like Jed to Ellie

Actually first like Casey McCall to his son Charlie McCall in the Sports Night episode "What Kind of Day has it Been"...where ever have I heard that title before!!

would suggest listening to the whole thing in order the first 2 listens or so to familiarize yourself with it.

That is assuming that you don't "need" to re-listen to several of the songs as soon as they end to make sure you caught all the lines. Schuyler Sisters always requires an immediate re-listen

• Love 1
On March 31, 2017 at 8:57 PM, deaja said:

@A.Ham liked my post. I'm so excited!

Of course I did! I, too, have found my people! Even if it's less than a handful of us, hi there :)

Topic? I got nothing right now.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2017 at 1:27 PM, Melancholy said:

So, I'm completely obsessed with the musical Hamilton. I think it's been well publicized that Lin Manuel Miranda is a Wingnut and he credited TWW as a major inspiration. It delights me that my still reigning champ favorite TV show inspired such a brilliant, transformative musical. Listening to the soundtrack, I noted the refrain "I'm looking for a mind at work" (a big part of The Schuyler Sisters) was said by Sam to Ainsley in The US Poet Laureate. Eliza tells Hamilton that he only needs to come home to make her happy like Jed to Ellie. 

On 3/24/2017 at 8:21 PM, deaja said:

@Melancholy, I have to ask- are we the same person? Do I have a second id I post under and forgot? We seem to watch the same shows and now share a Hamilton obsession?

How did I only just find you, my soul sisters??? Am listening to it right now at work. Have listened to all 2.5 hours of it 5 out of 7 days every week for past year and a half. Just LAST WEEK noticed something in a line I had never noticed before.

If I may brag, I saw the orig cast last June and legit sobbed from beginning to end. I needed an EMT and a banana bag when it was over.

Edit: I'm sure I'm telling you things you already know, but if you haven't already lost days down the rabbit hole at Genius, then do so IMMEDIATELY. https://genius.com/albums/Lin-manuel-miranda/Hamilton-original-broadway-cast-recording

Good luck!

Edited by betsyboo
added link
16 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

How did I only just find you, my soul sisters??? Am listening to it right now at work. Have listened to all 2.5 hours of it 5 out of 7 days every week for past year and a half. Just LAST WEEK noticed something in a line I had never noticed before.

If I may brag, I saw the orig cast last June and legit sobbed from beginning to end. I needed an EMT and a banana bag when it was over.

Edit: I'm sure I'm telling you things you already know, but if you haven't already lost days down the rabbit hole at Genius, then do so IMMEDIATELY. https://genius.com/albums/Lin-manuel-miranda/Hamilton-original-broadway-cast-recording

Good luck!

So insanely jealous.   And I think I've read all those genius notes 5-10 times by now! :)  

I'll admit, when I first got sucked into the Hamilton fan universe, I didn't know that LMM was a big West Wing fan, but it made it so much better when I found out!

18 minutes ago, deaja said:

So insanely jealous.   And I think I've read all those genius notes 5-10 times by now! :) 

Spend all the money. SO WORTH IT. I get that that is easy to say and not everyone can, but if you have the means and are close enough to the tour or NYC, SPEND IT. I would have gladly dropped $2000 the next day to go again that night. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The entire thing - music, production, actors - is a phenomenon, but it is also life-changing. For me anyway. I have such a hard time trying to explain that to my brothers or people who don't like theater. To live in this day and age with a person that genius and that willing to lay his heart on the line - it's magic. The layers! The nuance! The "chess, not checkers!"  I'm with Michelle Obama - the best piece of art I've ever seen. (And I've seen both Patti Lupone AND Barbra! :-) )  I'm someone who normally likes happy musicals where they break into song in the street for no reason. When this was at the Public, my niece saw it on a field trip and was beside herself. I knew who LMM was from In The Heights, but Hamilton didn't interest me at all. She stayed on me, and I paid attention to the news, etc, when it debuted on Broadway. Then I thought - well, I guess I'd better get on this bandwagon! And I am so, so, so glad I did. The fact that it is making both theater AND history entertaining to kids makes me all happy and tingly.

It helps that I live in the city where much of the first act occurs. :-)

• Love 1

Further adding to TWW/Hamilton discussion. Lin Manuel cast a Broadway musical version of West Wing. I adore Broadway musical theater but I'm pretty ignorant of much of the players because I don't have the money or location to follow. He didn't let the TWW players who proved their Broadway musical chops keep their roles (Kristin Chenowith, Allison Janney) to further the exercise. From what I know, it looks awesome. Love Sutton Foster as Amy and Laura Bell Bundy as Ainsley and Megan Hilty as Annabeth since Kristen can't reprise her role and Nathan Lane as Bruno Gianelli and Lin Manuel himself as Santos. I don't get why he cast Mandy Patankin as CJ's dad, deliberately filling a minor role to include the amazing Mandy, instead of just casting him as Toby because I think that's perfect casting. But I'm not familiar with the actor Lin Manuel did use as Toby. 

Edited by Melancholy
On 4/20/2017 at 10:39 AM, Melancholy said:

Further adding to TWW/Hamilton discussion. Lin Manuel cast a Broadway musical version of West Wing. I adore Broadway musical theater but I'm pretty ignorant of much of the players because I don't have the money or location to follow. He didn't let the TWW players who proved their Broadway musical chops keep their roles (Kristin Chenowith, Allison Janney) to further the exercise. From what I know, it looks awesome. Love Sutton Foster as Amy and Laura Bell Bundy as Ainsley and Megan Hilty as Annabeth since Kristen can't reprise her role and Nathan Lane as Bruno Gianelli and Lin Manuel himself as Santos. I don't get why he cast Mandy Patankin as CJ's dad, deliberately filling a minor role to include the amazing Mandy, instead of just casting him as Toby because I think that's perfect casting. But I'm not familiar with the actor Lin Manuel did use as Toby.

Sorry for the late comment. This is the actor Lin-Manuel cast as Toby: Chip Zien

(edited)

And on other matters... In "The White House Pro-Am", Jed & Abbey are having a fight, about her showing support for an old boyfriend who's a possible/likely nominee for Fed Chair (among other things), & Jed says to her "Just stand there in your wrongness and be wrong...". That saying is showing up right now on  T-shirts from places like those sponsored ads on Facebook. However, 1 place has the shirt saying "sit" instead of "stand", & they don't attribute the quote as being from TWW or anywhere else; it's as if the shirt designer made up the quote themselves.

Hopefully this will take you to the first page of shirts on Google search. If it doesn't, apologies.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comma.

I’ve currently been rewatching again (as opposed to just watching random episodes) and I just have to say- wow, this show is good! I’ve also been listening to the West Wing Weekly podcasts and it really enhances everything. I’m not much of a podcast person, but this one may be converting me!