Type keyword(s) to search

The Rap Game - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I felt so bad for Nia Kay when she said everybody was mad and didn't congratulate her. That was a big win though so everybody was disappointed. But I really hated to see her feelings hurt like that. 

Lil Key and Jayla KILLED IT!! 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I felt so bad for Nia Kay when she said everybody was mad and didn't congratulate her. That was a big win though so everybody was disappointed. But I really hated to see her feelings hurt like that. 

Lil Key and Jayla KILLED IT!! 

Lil Key and Jayla were SO good!!  This is why Lil Key needs to win.  He can write and perform.  I like the way he took Jayla Marie under his wing.  Plus, he has a great work ethic and attitude.  If he doesn't win that chain, I will be pissed. lol

I guess I am STILL not seeing what JD sees when he watched Nia Kay perform.  I like her as a person and she definitely has writing talent and brings a lot of energy. But, to me, she is squeaky and gets out of breath when she jumps around.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HZAnita said:

Lil Key and Jayla were SO good!!  This is why Lil Key needs to win.  He can write and perform.  I like the way he took Jayla Marie under his wing.  Plus, he has a great work ethic and attitude.  If he doesn't win that chain, I will be pissed. lol

I guess I am STILL not seeing what JD sees when he watched Nia Kay perform.  I like her as a person and she definitely has writing talent and brings a lot of energy. But, to me, she is squeaky and gets out of breath when she jumps around.  

I agree that Key and JM were excellent. But I also don't think it was entirely JI, Mani, and Nia Kay's fault that they didn't connect with the crowd. The beat they had to use was awful--it wasn't catchy, and it was hard to write a memorable hook for that beat. 

But Nia Kay is not a star--yet, anyway. She does lose her breath when she dances, and even when she raps. And I get so tired of her saying, "Woo!" But I liked the henna tattoo on her left hand. 

It was great to see Ms. Mullatto. She's turned into a beautiful young lady! And she seemed nicer than she was in Season 1. 

My kids laughed at JD's attempt to rap. Yeah, he's not much of a rapper. 

1 hour ago, topanga said:

I agree that Key and JM were excellent. But I also don't think it was entirely JI, Mani, and Nia Kay's fault that they didn't connect with the crowd. The beat they had to use was awful--it wasn't catchy, and it was hard to write a memorable hook for that beat. 

But Nia Kay is not a star--yet, anyway. She does lose her breath when she dances, and even when she raps. And I get so tired of her saying, "Woo!" But I liked the henna tattoo on her left hand. 

You're right. The beat did suck. But I think if they had let Nia Kay come out first is would have been better, like they said, because she does have more personality than the other two and more experience performing. The boys sort of took over.

"Woo," has to go. Seriously. Make it stop. 

1 hour ago, holly4755 said:

I liked the way that Lil Key managed JM and coached her, at least her father stayed out of it. I am afraid he won't win though because he has stumbled a lot. It was like 2 jobs for him. 

That's what I love about Key. He's a really nice person. He's not intimidated by his competition and he's willing to help the younger ones. I know he has messed up at times but I think he's more ready for a career than the others are. He's mature enough to handle himself.

If Jayla wins this thing it will be a crime. She is obviously a very good performer. Much better than I thought. But an 11 year old who doesn't write her own lyrics, needs a couple more years. That being said, when she is mature enough and finds her own voice, she'll be amazing.

• Love 2

Agreed completely with the hit list this week.  JI really stepped up and killed it, as he should have, since freestyle is his forte.  I thought maybe Nia Kay and Lil Key would have been switched since Lil Key did so well during the rap battle, but it could have gone either way after the mess that was the challenge.  I am so happy Jayla Marie didn't get number one.  IMO, even though she's cute and talented, she should never get number one over any of the other kids.

• Love 2

Actually Jayla hesitated a minute and that moves you down a peg, she did pick up after that, I just can't believe how bad the big guys were, they knew this was coming, they should have practiced it and you know yup can't start over. sheesh.  and Wow Nia kay Wow and whoo

• Love 1

I agree with all of the above comments. JI killed it this week. The question is, does he have what it takes to be SS Def's next artist? I still think the Game is Lil Key's to lose. He seems the most mature and label-ready of all the kids. I think his mom makes him nervous, though he would never admit it. When he performs, she stares daggers at him. And DeMani's mom is the opposite. I think she's too laid back--now matter how much Mani messes up, she tells him it's okay and that he was doing his best. I think she (or someone else) needs to light a fire under his casual ass. I actually think Mani did better when he worked with Key's mom. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3

I love all the kids more every week. I was critical of Nia Kay at first but now she's cute as can be. Jayla's little attitude is adorable. Mani is so relaxed so when he says something really clever, I find it to be extra funny. I still think Lil Key will win this thing though. He's just ready for it. JI did well but he's the only kid that hasn't completely won me over yet. I like him but there's a lack of charisma or something I can't put my finger on. He's talented but I think he needs more time and possibly some dance lessons. I just can't see it with him. 

• Love 2
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Nowhere said:

JI dnyid well but he's the only kid that hasn't completely won me over yet. I like him but there's a lack of charisma or something I can't put my finger on. He's talented but I think he needs more time and possibly some dance lessons. I just can't see it with him. 

Agreed. His little fit (last week?) when he didnt win was offputting too. I realize rappers specialize in confidence but his attitude was a bit much for me. I was impressed by his willingness to battle as well as his ability to track the beat. 

Dance lessons though. Ha, I could not stop laughing at the one clip they kept showing of him onstage last week. Awkward.

Mani is probably too young to have learned from Ashley Simpson that dancing it off never works. 

I like them all for one reason or another. This season doesn't make me as irritable as last season. JD always looked like he wanted to drop all of them. 

• Love 4
On 9/13/2016 at 8:56 PM, Lyinfait said:

Agreed. His little fit (last week?) when he didnt win was offputting too. I realize rappers specialize in confidence but his attitude was a bit much for me. I was impressed by his willingness to battle as well as his ability to track the beat. 

Dance lessons though. Ha, I could not stop laughing at the one clip they kept showing of him onstage last week. Awkward.

Mani is probably too young to have learned from Ashley Simpson that dancing it off never works. 

I like them all for one reason or another. This season doesn't make me as irritable as last season. JD always looked like he wanted to drop all of them. 

That really bothered me too, but I was happy that, in the end, he used that disappointment to propel himself forward.  I don't dislike any of the kids, but I too believe that this is Lil Key's competition to lose.  I just love that kid.  His positive attitude, and his bouncing back after failure make him a star, IMO.   I really don't mind his mom.  It's obvious to me that she only wants him to reach his full potential and gets frustrated when he gets in his own head.  I don't know if it's the most effective way to interact, but she's known her son his whole life, so I'll trust her judgment.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, HZAnita said:

That really bothered me too, but I was happy that, in the end, he used that disappointment to propel himself forward.  I don't dislike any of the kids, but I too believe that this is Lil Key's competition to lose.  I just love that kid.  His positive attitude, and his bouncing back after failure make him a star, IMO.   I really don't mind his mom.  It's obvious to me that she only wants him to reach his full potential and gets frustrated when he gets in his own head.  I don't know if it's the most effective way to interact, but she's known her son his whole life, so I'll trust her judgment.

Agreed. Lil Key has a great attitude and willingness to learn. He keeps trying,  adjusting, and is confident (necessary) without being arrogant. He's my pick. I like his maturity. His mom\manager seems too hard and harsh with him sometimes. It makes me cringe. I think it's just how she talks though. She seems to be someone for whom passionate equals louder and more forceful. Wouldn't work on me but he's obviously used to it. 

• Love 1

The kids' personalities and possible fates really started to emerge this week:

• Jayla Marie is cute and has a great personality. She might be a big star one day , but I don't think she's ready yet to sign with So So Def.
  • Nia Kaye cannot rap without saying "Woo!" and dabbing. Her raps all sound alike to me, and she hasn't diversified her style, though JD told her she needs to. But I do think she's talented. 
  • JI--Prince of New York is more immature than he initially seemed. I suppose he's only acting his age (14), but it makes him seem like a petulant child who throws tantrums when his mother gives him constructive criticism. And like Nia Kaye, his raps all sound alike to me. 
  • Lil' Key is consistently talented, and he has a mature, positive attitude. Mariah Carey called him "aggressive." To me, he simply has an East Coast sound. I still think the necklace and contract are his to lose. 
  • Mani was the wild card this week. He has underperformed in past weeks, but Mariah and JD were both impressed with him this week. I don't think the performance will automatically make him the Chosen One, but the show has presented this as an interesting possibility. 
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, topanga said:

The kids' personalities and possible fates really started to emerge this week:

• Jayla Marie is cute and has a great personality. She might be a big star one day , but I don't think she's ready yet to sign with So So Def.
  • Nia Kaye cannot rap without saying "Woo!" and dabbing. Her raps all sound alike to me, and she hasn't diversified her style, though JD told her she needs to. But I do think she's talented. 
  • JI--Prince of New York is more immature than he initially seemed. I suppose he's only acting his age (14), but it makes him seem like a petulant child who throws tantrums when his mother gives him constructive criticism. And like Nia Kaye, his raps all sound alike to me. 
  • Lil' Key is consistently talented, and he has a mature, positive attitude. Mariah Carey called him "aggressive." To me, he simply has an East Coast sound. I still think the necklace and contract are his to lose. 
  • Mani was the wild card this week. He has underperformed in past weeks, but Mariah and JD were both impressed with him this week. I don't think the performance will automatically make him the Chosen One, but the show has presented this as an interesting possibility. 

Yep.  Ever since the first episode, JD and his various guests have pointed to Mani as someone who has the style that JD likes.  Unfortunately, he has underperformed in nearly every challenge.  But look how cute he was in this video...

My pick is Prince of NY.  I think he is a super cool kid and I liked how everything he did after being put in 5th place, was designed to show how he didn't deserve to be #5.  Darn if he didn't prove it either by catapulting up to 1st place.  Such focus and determination.  I loved the rap battle and how good he did even though he thought it might not go good.  And his mother was so proud, so proud.  I really don't mind the way she pulls for her son.  I was lol at her yelling louder than anyone else for her son during the battle.  Might be because she had a mic on, but still.

The parent who I found to be objectionable is Nia's.  He is the only one who I feel would pull shady stuff to get and keep his kid the front runner.  I put nothing pass that one.

It is almost unfair how they pull in the younger kids, Neither this year or last had a chance. They need to grow up some, it would have to be an amazing intuitent perform to sail ahead at that age. The older kids always have an advantage, but that is my problem with Mani. he should be further ahead of everyone else at this point and he is not. But he is very laid back, maybe this is what I can't appreciate. 

7 hours ago, lasandi said:

My pick is Prince of NY.  I think he is a super cool kid and I liked how everything he did after being put in 5th place, was designed to show how he didn't deserve to be #5.  Darn if he didn't prove it either by catapulting up to 1st place.  Such focus and determination.  I loved the rap battle and how good he did even though he thought it might not go good.  And his mother was so proud, so proud.  I really don't mind the way she pulls for her son.  I was lol at her yelling louder than anyone else for her son during the battle.  Might be because she had a mic on, but still.

The parent who I found to be objectionable is Nia's.  He is the only one who I feel would pull shady stuff to get and keep his kid the front runner.  I put nothing pass that one.

I would be hesitant to deal with him as an entertainment professional. Suppose he tried to sabotage a major show (or the like) just to get his daughter ahead? I wouldn't risk dealing with him. It's one thing to be an assertive manager, but another to be willing to risk the rest of the label for his own interests.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, holly4755 said:

It is almost unfair how they pull in the younger kids, Neither this year or last had a chance. They need to grow up some, it would have to be an amazing intuitent perform to sail ahead at that age. The older kids always have an advantage, but that is my problem with Mani. he should be further ahead of everyone else at this point and he is not. But he is very laid back, maybe this is what I can't appreciate. 

I think that's usually true, but last Season Supa Peach was talented enough that she could've ended up higher than she did. She could have won, if it weren't for her bad attitude, her questionable dishonesty (about writing her own raps), and her crazy managers (her mother and sister). 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, lasandi said:

I really like JI's style the best out of all of the kids.  I love his cadence.  However, I think Lil Key has an advantage over him for this competition, namely his maturity.  I like Nia Kay as a person, but I *really* don't like her dad.   Even though they understandably pull for their own children, the other parents are at least nominally supportive to the other contestants.

• Love 3
On September 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, lasandi said:

I have come to like Ji's mom better and I couldn't stand her at the beginning. She has grown on me as a mama bear. However, JI himself need not get in a little girl's face like he did. A man should not get as hostile as he did with Jayla and I don't care what she said, which IMO wasn't so bad. She was just playing her little over confident act. So what? Not worth saying he was about to snap on a girl. That didn't sit well with me. 

2 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I have come to like Ji's mom better and I couldn't stand her at the beginning. She has grown on me as a mama bear. However, JI himself need not get in a little girl's face like he did. A man should not get as hostile as he did with Jayla and I don't care what she said, which IMO wasn't so bad. She was just playing her little over confident act. So what? Not worth saying he was about to snap on a girl. That didn't sit well with me. 

I feel that they are both kids and so, therefore, not fully cooked.  They still have time to learn; she, that if you pop off at someone be prepared that they might pop off back, everyone is not going to stay quiet because you are a female and he, that you don't have to win every argument, something's are just not worth responding to.  To be honest I don't remember what they both actually said but I do remember him telling his mother he wanted to say something to Jayla and she nixed it.  

5 hours ago, lasandi said:

I feel that they are both kids and so, therefore, not fully cooked.  They still have time to learn; she, that if you pop off at someone be prepared that they might pop off back, everyone is not going to stay quiet because you are a female and he, that you don't have to win every argument, something's are just not worth responding to.  To be honest I don't remember what they both actually said but I do remember him telling his mother he wanted to say something to Jayla and she nixed it.  

I agree that they're kids, but as the mother of two boys, you have to start training boys early on how to treat women. Yes, Jayla was wrong for interrupting Prince and for her general arrogance, but that does not justify him getting in her face and arguing with her. I hope his mom talked to him off-camera about that behavior being unacceptable. 

And maybe this is petty, but Nia Kay needed a sports bra. Her boobs were bouncing up and down way too much when the kids were exercising. Somehow I think that if her mother were with her, she would've made sure she had the proper undergarments. I'm surprised none of the other mothers stepped in to help this young lady. Or the show's producers. 

• Love 2

I came running in here to see what the streets were saying and crickets.  Topanga was right in his observations. Mani turned out to be the chosen one.  I think the others will be ok.  The hurt on their faces was so hard to watch but in the end their names are out there and they had plenty of publicity.  Congrats Mani.

5 hours ago, lasandi said:

I came running in here to see what the streets were saying and crickets.  Topanga was right in his observations. Mani turned out to be the chosen one.  I think the others will be ok.  The hurt on their faces was so hard to watch but in the end their names are out there and they had plenty of publicity.  Congrats Mani.

Yep, which makes me wonder what the whole point of the season was?  I think Mani is a sweet kid, and I like his mother, but he was consistently underperforming. It seems like the last nine weeks - and all of those hit lists - made absolutely no difference to the final decision.  I won't lie, I was kind of pissed for Lil Key, Nia, and JI.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, HZAnita said:

Yep, which makes me wonder what the whole point of the season was?  I think Mani is a sweet kid, and I like his mother, but he was consistently underperforming. It seems like the last nine weeks - and all of those hit lists - made absolutely no difference to the final decision.  I won't lie, I was kind of pissed for Lil Key, Nia, and JI.  

You know you are right.  What was the point of his list, the kids striving to be #1, when in the end, it didn't mean squat.  So now they all know for next season, your last performance is the bomb dot com.  Duprai did say to Lil Key that he can't sign him now, which made me think down the line he will.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, lasandi said:

You know you are right.  What was the point of his list, the kids striving to be #1, when in the end, it didn't mean squat.  So now they all know for next season, your last performance is the bomb dot com.  Duprai did say to Lil Key that he can't sign him now, which made me think down the line he will.

I caught that also.  JD said he wasn't signing Lil Key "today," so that gave me hope that he was planning to sign him in the future.

• Love 2

My entire family was surprised when JD sent LIl Key home. I agree that Mani's final performance was the best, but how did it outweigh what JD observed and noticed over the entirety of the process?   Mani?????   Maybe he has the "look" JD was going for. I just can't figure it out...

Sad for Lil key. I was rooting for him. And thought he should have won. 

• Love 3

but Mani's final performance was not even the persona he was working on, it was like he was one of the other kids. And once again the older kid who came more mature wins and he was the one to close the show after everyone in the audience was pumped up.  I needed to see their lyrics, I must be going deaf or something and my closed captioning did not capture every word so a lot was missed.

I admit, he would not have been my choice, Even if he made a mistake in the final, I think he would have been chosen. 

I also think Princes Mom did him no favors if she voiced her true opinions, needing to grow is important for these kids. And Prince is still a kid and needs to grow some. 

• Love 1

I thought Lil Key had this. Although I loved Mani's style, Lil Key actually had the maturity,  charisma, and performance experience. He's had real life experiences too that came forth in his lyrics. Let's face it. He was the realest of the bunch. If he put out an album, I'd buy it for him as a person if for nothing else and I love to hear real experience and struggles in rap. I'd probably buy what Mani puts out and actually enjoy his style but he literally didn't do shit the entire show. He didn't seem surprised that he won so I think somehow he knew. His mom was a rapper, so does she have some connections or some sort of pull? I also have to disagree with Mani doing the best this episode. I think his performance was equal to Lil Key's at best. Again, I've always liked Mani but he shouldn't have won because he didn't seem to have that fire all season. And of course snoop liked Mani. He looks like him and raps Snoop type lyrics, talking about his impala. Ok little dude. Like you really have an impala. Just be real and vulnerable like Key has displayed. If he could've done that, he would have been my favorite. I don't like that all the friends were saying Mani fits in with them the most, when they really didn't see the apparent laziness and blasé attitude displayed by Mani. So basically as long as a kid has a certain look they'll win this show. Take note future Rap Game cast. They wanted Mani from the start based on nothing but his looks.

• Love 2

I dont get how Lil Key lost.   I could have understood if Mani was 2nd place but to win....mind blown. What is the point of them doing those stupid challenges for the hit list every week when in the end they mean nothing.  Mani was like a Snoop 2.0.  Lil Key was different.  

• Love 6

I considered creating a new topic for season 3...but seeing as we are three episodes in and I'm the lone viewer, perhaps not. 

I don't know why I'm kinda addicted to this little show. I'm not usually a fan of children competition shows. It's more about their parents and often filled with terrible attitudes and behaviors I don't find entertaining at any age. I don't listen to rap music and have no intention of following any of these kids careers. I only know the older guest artists.  I like seeing talent though. I like seeing people work at their craft. JD doesn't have these kids marching across a bridge to bring him a pie or any other such nonsense. I like seeing hard work rewarded. I like that the challenges are learning challenges and not about getting more viewers. I like that when there is drama, it is embarrassing to JD and he nips it. 

Onto the season.

King Roscoe is young and feels young. He reminds me of some of the students I work with. He has talent, keep working and come back with a few more years. This episode made me think he thinks he's better than he currently is. I had him at 5th both weeks. He's not polished, he's new and it shows.

Flau'jae (spelling?) is also young. I could do without the references to her legendary dad I've never heard of. I like that her mother kept saying it wasn't about her dad, that she was too young to have that kind of pressure placed on her. I appreciate her wisdom given the little one last season who kept repeating that his family was depending on him. I've heard it several times and it is upsetting. Adults should not depend on a child and certainly shouldn't lay that responsibility on a child by telling them it. 

Dee. I can't remember the rest of her name. She was one of my favorites initially with her audition. The previews have me a bit worried about an attitude. I get swagger, it's all part of being a rapper. You need some degree of it. Understood. But there is an attitude that shows up that can completely detract from the talent imo. Peach, Prince of N.Y. had it. I hope not to see it this season. 

Tally. I didn't remember her from last season. She came back prepared. And she's doing the work. I like that. When they suggested that she change how she was rapping, I felt deja vu. Turned out I was remembering Nashville when Avery tried to coach/produce a vocalist and she kept adding the Britney inflection to her voice. I was waiting for Tally to storm off but she took the note and changed it. 

Nova is the one with the most all around potential to me, so far. As long as his early success doesn't go to his head. Dial it back young man. Soon as you start thinking you're just that good, you're not. So far he's just north of too cocky for me but then most rappers are. 

Guess I'll be back next week to keep up my own running commentary.

You are not the only watcher, I watch too and I do like that it is related to things they really need to learn to be a success, at least this year we did not get so much of the I am too good for this job attitude.  I do not understand What Tally did that has Dequa or what ever, that has her at her throat already A lot of people throwing shade know it is a "stance" and they get along well in real life. Tally is taking it to heart too seriously and the"d" girl is attacking in the wrong places and basically is starting to look like it is a race thing.

Tally is the oldest and I think she will fade as she tries too hard to be Iggy Azalea 2.0.  I like they are trying to get her to sing in her own voice.  I do remember her from last year, she did not do well in the private concert the first day, no one was impressed with her, he was not aggressive enough, I think she is trying to make up for it this year. 

Nova is interesting, but I don't think they revealed a lot about him, maybe we will learn more in future shows. He does have the speed clarity and memory to make it right now. 

Edited by holly4755

I think the managers and artists are a bit more grounded this season. They came in with more flexible attitudes and less braggadocio because they have YouTube views and followers. I'm not accurately describing it but there is a different vibe, more head down get to work focus on myself, that I like. 

1 hour ago, holly4755 said:

I do not understand What Tally did that has Dequa or what ever, that has her at her throat already A lot of people throwing shade know it is a "stance" and they get along well in real life. Tally is taking it to heart too seriously and the"d" girl is attacking in the wrong places and basically is starting to look like it is a race thing.

I don't know what Tally has done either, except be #1 on the previous hit list. I'll be curious to see if Dee goes after Nova next week or remains focused on Tally. 

5 hours ago, holly4755 said:

You are not the only watcher, I watch too and I do like that it is related to things they really need to learn to be a success, at least this year we did not get so much of the I am too good for this job attitude.  I do not understand What Tally did that has Dequa or what ever, that has her at her throat already A lot of people throwing shade know it is a "stance" and they get along well in real life. Tally is taking it to heart too seriously and the"d" girl is attacking in the wrong places and basically is starting to look like it is a race thing.

Tally is the oldest and I think she will fade as she tries too hard to be Iggy Azalea 2.0.  I like they are trying to get her to sing in her own voice.  I do remember her from last year, she did not do well in the private concert the first day, no one was impressed with her, he was not aggressive enough, I think she is trying to make up for it this year. 

Nova is interesting, but I don't think they revealed a lot about him, maybe we will learn more in future shows. He does have the speed clarity and memory to make it right now. 

My opinion in regard to Iggy, I mean Tally, is that they brought her back for the win. I think Soso def wants a white female artist and they may have given her some tips and maybe even told her what to expect for each challenge. They know they can't let her win as Iggy jr so they're showing the audience that she's gradually changing because of their advice, but I think they gave her a heads up in that regard before filming started. This new vigor and in-your-face act that she's putting on seems very fake. She's probably a rich kid who developed an infatuation with Iggy when her friends told her she looked like her, so she promptly worked to imitate her, then used daddy's money to get herself recognized. No struggle as the other girl said. I'm betting Tally wins. 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 2

I don't know enough about Tally to know how any of that would be true. Is her dad rich, but not rich enough to do more than snag her a spot on a Lifetime show? Does she have a story beyond embarrassing herself on TV? 

I also don't get why JD would go to such trouble. If he wanted to sign her he could. This isn't Idol, ratings wise, so it's not like a lot of people would witness a transformation with her, fall in love, and buy her music. Seems like rigging this in her favor would be a lot of effort for minimal reward. 

I wish the girl who dissed her would have saved it. I liked the lyrics and delivery, it was just poorly timed. Actually, though I can't spell her name that girl is my favorite so far, drama aside. I hope she gets past the Tally thing.  

4 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

I also don't get why JD would go to such trouble. If he wanted to sign her he could. This isn't Idol, ratings wise, so it's not like a lot of people would witness a transformation with her, fall in love, and buy her music. Seems like rigging this in her favor would be a lot of effort for minimal reward.

These are my thoughts exactly. Why? Izma-like machinations to accomplish what really? Sign her and don't bother bringing her back. I'd be extremely disappointed if this were the case. I think Tally (and manager) studied and calculated the attitude and persona she needed themselves. 

34ad74dbd1d0e4a3d275fa7cacad6734.jpg

I'd missed that it started, so pulled it up on demand. 

I liked the first challenge being a public concert. That is very different from rapping to your webcam, and I think it's a good one .

Roscoe looks about 10, and seems just too young compared to the others. I do like his nerd vibe.

• Love 1

here is the cast

DEETRANADA/DEE 15, Baltimore, MD

FLAU’JAE 12, Savannah, GA

KING ROSCOE 13, Atlanta, GA

NOVA 16, Reading, PA

TALLY 16, Nashville, TN

So Flau'jae is the youngest, Roscoe is small for his age. 

Don't like Tally, didn't like her last season either. Not here for an appropriating, fake accent try hard. I think she and her family are just trying to get on (sister on the Disney show) and don't care what path they take. Too bad most of the buying public aren't here to give another fake white girl a chance. I am glad that the mentors are telling her to drop that wigger/iggy shit. (no offense intended, but my opinion)

I like that the managers/family are much more mellow this time around. There is no need for them to be as nasty as they were the first two seasons and I like the way most of them seem to celebrate and uplift the kids (so far). 

Roscoe is way too young. My opinion on this also speaks to the premise of the entire show. This is not the 90s when even grown folks were rapping about relatively tame stuff. I just don't see a market for 16 and under rappers based on what's popular and what sells. I think this season came out so quickly because JD is just trying to get his show money, not really concerned about artist development...if that were the case, we'd have heard something from at least Miss Mulatto in the year plus since her win.

I like Nova and I have him as my winner unless JD forces it to Tally. I'd really like to know what all this social media demand he spoke of is. Anything I've seen on twitter in response to the show or his tweets have been basically "no cultural appropriation" "no new iggy" "no fake white girl accent with a gold chain." 

I also like Deetranada and think she could have some long term success if she doesn't get sidetracked with hating. It was rich seeing Tally storm off talking about being disrespected when they said her lines were "basic" after she released a salty ass dis rap when she got booted last season. Privilige and spoiled behavior. Bye.

I remember Camouflage because I was living in Jacksonville when he was out and he would travel down from Savannah frequently, but he was a very small player in the grand scheme of the rap world, so to hear them keep referring to him as a legend is laughable.

• Love 2

I don't know what Tally's family has or doesn't have. I don't understand the whole topic of whether or not Tally has "struggled." What difference does it make? She's there in the same competition, doing the same challenges as everyone else. Whether she deserves to be there or deserves to win is determined by JD and his crew, not by Deetranada. I dislike seeing anyone flying the "my life is harder than yours" flag, especially at such a young age.  It smacks of "poor me." Let's say Deetranada has had a harder time of it than Tally. So what? In all aspects of life there will be people who have more advantages than her. Prettier, smarter, wealthier, luckier, better grades, better salary, better opportunities. There will also, ALWAYS be people who are worse off than she is. Not every kid's parents can afford a computer and a camera and a smart phone so their kid can be a youtube personality. Not every kid has a family member who can take 3 months off work to go on a reality show with their kid. I'd like her to consider that before she starts making assumptions about someone else's financial situation and talking about someone else being entitled and undeserving.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 5
On 1/22/2017 at 6:07 AM, phoenix780 said:

I don't know enough about Tally to know how any of that would be true. Is her dad rich, but not rich enough to do more than snag her a spot on a Lifetime show? Does she have a story beyond embarrassing herself on TV? 

I wish the girl who dissed her would have saved it. I liked the lyrics and delivery, it was just poorly timed. Actually, though I can't spell her name that girl is my favorite so far, drama aside. I hope she gets past the Tally thing.  

I didn't say her dad was rich, but somebody is funding her and it's usually a parent. 

The reason he would bring tally back is first of all, the fan requests, and second, a pretty, white rapper is rare enough to make for good tv and this is a reality show first and foremost. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. It's no major effort for the producers to give her a tip now and then just to make sure she looks good for the editing monkeys and to make sure she gets somewhere at the top of the chart. 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, sunsheyen said:

Don't like Tally, didn't like her last season either. Not here for an appropriating, fake accent try hard. I think she and her family are just trying to get on (sister on the Disney show) and don't care what path they take. Too bad most of the buying public aren't here to give another fake white girl a chance. I am glad that the mentors are telling her to drop that wigger/iggy shit. (no offense intended, but my opinion)

I like that the managers/family are much more mellow this time around. There is no need for them to be as nasty as they were the first two seasons and I like the way most of them seem to celebrate and uplift the kids (so far). 

Roscoe is way too young. My opinion on this also speaks to the premise of the entire show. This is not the 90s when even grown folks were rapping about relatively tame stuff. I just don't see a market for 16 and under rappers based on what's popular and what sells. I think this season came out so quickly because JD is just trying to get his show money, not really concerned about artist development...if that were the case, we'd have heard something from at least Miss Mulatto in the year plus since her win.

I like Nova and I have him as my winner unless JD forces it to Tally. I'd really like to know what all this social media demand he spoke of is. Anything I've seen on twitter in response to the show or his tweets have been basically "no cultural appropriation" "no new iggy" "no fake white girl accent with a gold chain." 

I also like Deetranada and think she could have some long term success if she doesn't get sidetracked with hating. It was rich seeing Tally storm off talking about being disrespected when they said her lines were "basic" after she released a salty ass dis rap when she got booted last season. Privilige and spoiled behavior. Bye.

I remember Camouflage because I was living in Jacksonville when he was out and he would travel down from Savannah frequently, but he was a very small player in the grand scheme of the rap world, so to hear them keep referring to him as a legend is laughable.

Agree with all of this. Question. Are you talking about Jacksonville, FL and how does it relate to camouflage?

They really shouldn't keep bringing up his legacy to his poor daughter. Ok if he was good but the poor girl is only 12 and is being pressured to be as good as her father who was a grown man. This kid may be the shit by the time she is the age he was when he became successful. Why put so much pressure on her now? The coaches should never bring him up. Ever. It's too much for a little girl. 

• Love 1

we covered Roscoe already in that he is not the youngest on the show since he is 13, Flau'jae is 12.  the oldest are Tally/Nova at 16 - so there is a 4 year spread of kids, and Roscoe is 13. Old enough to be a man in Jewish law. 

15 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Agree with all of this. Question. Are you talking about Jacksonville, FL and how does it relate to camouflage?

They really shouldn't keep bringing up his legacy to his poor daughter. Ok if he was good but the poor girl is only 12 and is being pressured to be as good as her father who was a grown man. This kid may be the shit by the time she is the age he was when he became successful. Why put so much pressure on her now? The coaches should never bring him up. Ever. It's too much for a little girl. 

Yes, Jacksonville, FL. This timeframe was the Master P, Dirty South, Cash Money, Slip-N-Slide era and everyone from the whole No Limit roster to T.I. used to ride down to Jax to do club shows. ATL, MIA, JAX, NOLA (and some TN like 8ball/MJG) was the club circuit then. Jax is only a 2 hour ride from Savannah, and while Camouflage's murder was big news (in the club/local hip hop scene) at the time, no one I knew growing up in VA had heard of him. So while it makes sense that Rick Ross knows who Camouflage was, he's pretty irrelevant to the rest of the US and most definitely irrelevant to the kids who are the focus of the show, many of whom were babies or not even born when he was out.

Re: Roscoe...I guess I just think of him as the youngest due to 1) his size/appearance and 2) his kid/school nerd rhymes. He's in the same category as SupaPeach and the boy with long braids (drawing a blank) as far as childishness and the lack of desire to listen to music from him. Not just me, but my 16 year old and her peers are not interested in kiddie rappers, especially in the current climate of music.

Edited by sunsheyen
On 1/23/2017 at 5:51 PM, sunsheyen said:

Yes, Jacksonville, FL. This timeframe was the Master P, Dirty South, Cash Money, Slip-N-Slide era and everyone from the whole No Limit roster to T.I. used to ride down to Jax to do club shows. ATL, MIA, JAX, NOLA (and some TN like 8ball/MJG) was the club circuit then. Jax is only a 2 hour ride from Savannah, and while Camouflage's murder was big news (in the club/local hip hop scene) at the time, no one I knew growing up in VA had heard of him. So while it makes sense that Rick Ross knows who Camouflage was, he's pretty irrelevant to the rest of the US and most definitely irrelevant to the kids who are the focus of the show, many of whom were babies or not even born when he was out.

Re: Roscoe...I guess I just think of him as the youngest due to 1) his size/appearance and 2) his kid/school nerd rhymes. He's in the same category as SupaPeach and the boy with long braids (drawing a blank) as far as childishness and the lack of desire to listen to music from him. Not just me, but my 16 year old and her peers are not interested in kiddie rappers, especially in the current climate of music.

'Lil Poopy! I do think he was too young for the competition, but something about him has stayed with me and my kids (we still say, 'I can take a loss or two'). I do think this season's young kids are in the same boat--Roscoe and Flau'Jae (Lord help her if she tries to get a job in corporate America). But Supa Peach was different. She was talented, she was mature, she had great stage presence, and I think she did have the potential to win--or at least go farther than what she did. But her bad attitude and the drama with her mother and sister did her in. The fact that she didn't write her lyrics was turned into drama, but it shouldn't have been. Most of the younger kids don't write their own raps, and it was never presented as a negative the way it was with Supa Peach.  

On 1/22/2017 at 7:07 AM, phoenix780 said:

I think the television exposure will help the artists--and JDs own relevance in the world of hip-hop. But why haven't heard anything from Miss Mulatto? Or Mani for that matter? JD needs to strike while the iron's hot and get those kids out there. While people still know who they are. 

20 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I'm from Jacksonville. I guess I missed all that. Interesting. 

I don't know your age range but I was in the clubs from late 90's thru mid 2000's and had close friends who were (and are still) popular DJ's and promoters in the area so maybe I had a little bit more exposure/investment in the scene. All that (plus my earlier comments) to say, unless you were really into rap and clubs back then, you wouldn't know who Camouflage was, so the hype they're giving him is really isolating to the larger audience.

1 minute ago, topanga said:

'Lil Poopy! I do think he was too young for the competition, but something about him has stayed with me and my kids (we still say, 'I can take a loss or two'). I do think this season's young kids are in the same boat--Roscoe and Flau'Jae (Lord help her if she tries to get a job in corporate America). But Supa Peach was different. She was talented, she was mature, she had great stage presence, and I think she did have the potential to win--or at least go farther than what she did. But her bad attitude and the drama with her mother and sister did her in. The fact that she didn't write her lyrics was turned into drama, but it shouldn't have been. Most of the younger kids don't write their own raps, and it was never presented as a negative the way it was with Supa Peach.  

I think the television exposure will help the artists--and JDs own relevance in the world of hip-hop. But why haven't heard anything from Miss Mulatto? Or Mani for that matter? JD needs to strike while the iron's hot and get those kids out there. While people still know who they are. 

Ok first to address the name...when Mama Flau'Jae made her comments about "being able to get a job," I held on to hope that she named her differently and Flau'jae is just her nickname/stage name. Who knows, though, maybe she caved after daddy was shot. 

Peach was different, I agree. Maturity (and parental influence notwithstanding), there still is not, in my opinion, a market for kid rappers in today's world. I don't see them getting airplay on urban stations, I heart radio/"mainstream blend", or anything else unless JD opens some sort of pipeline with Disney/Nick and even then, the kids would be selling to those even younger than them, which is not much of a demographic. (how's that for run on)

I just think we are past the days when little kid rappers can make it big. Even the bigger teen stars (Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, Nick Jonas) aren't taken seriously as musicians until they are at least 18, and JD's kids don't have the advantage of a hit tv show behind them to build an audience until they age out.

• Love 1

Miss Mulatto appeared in season 2 of the show have no seen or heard of her anywhere else. Lil Nikko appeared on Bring it last year as a singer at a lavish sweet 16 party.  Being out there is part of growing a career.  Have not seen any of the others though. 

• Love 1