Type keyword(s) to search

The Rap Game - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've watched the first 2 episodes of this show and enjoy it so far. It's one that my kids and I watch together. 

I like Jermaine Dupri--he's teaching the kids great lessons that will help them in their careers and in life. 

The kids are fairly talented, although their wide social media presence has them convinced that they're greater than they really are. They all need a little humbling, and this show seems to be doing it so far. But in a caring way. 

And like Jermaine said, I think it's okay, that Supa Peach's sister helps write her songs. She's 12, and a 12 year old isn't supposed to be as good a writer as a 16-year old. So get over yourself, Little Mulatto.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

I like this show, the kids may have their bratty moments, but they get called onthem. they are not smiled at and winked at like chikdrn witll be children, they are expected to want this enough to take it serious, Since each kid is a hit in their own niche, it is probably a blowto their egos, but they seem to be rolling with it.

I am not a big fan of rap, but I think it is a learning experience to watch this show. I liek that the kids are encouragedto enunciate, hate when I don't understand what people are saying.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying the show as well.

I remember Niqo from his earlier record deal. Poopy is cute, way too much orssure being out on him by his family to 'bring them out of the hood,' he's 9! It's not his responsibility to provide for his grown adult parents and family. Everytime I hear that, I get irritated. Wouldn't be surprised if his daddy is a wannabe rapper who didn't make it back in the day.

Lyric, just meh. She doesn't have the It factor for me.

Seems like Peach is getting the villain edit....or she is just a villain. It seems with her mom on set, she was even more conniving and shady this week. And what was up with her being rude to the stylist lady, and rapping during the Hit List? It seems like this week with her momma around she became more unlikeable.

Mulatto is cool. I do think the deck is stacked for her to win a lot of challenges because she is older...it's a 7 year age gap between her and Poopy.

Interesting that the parents have cliques already. The kids seemed to get along, even though it is a competition.

• Love 1

Poopy is 12. He just looks really small and young. He is the same age as Peach. Niquo and Lyric are 15 and Mulatto is 16. 

Poopy does look and sound like he's about 9. I will say that he has the maturity of a 12 year old, in that he isn't bratty or disrespectful--except for falling asleep on the trolley.  but like all of the kids, they're encouraged to be really cocky. 

I agree that the parents need to chill with their constant declarations that these kids are their "ticket" to fortunate, escaping poverty, etc. That's way too much pressure for a kid. And when it doesn't turn out that way--and let's face it, it usually doesn't--then it can make a child feel worthless. 

• Love 1

I hadn't planned to watch this one, but it was on demand after Bring it! I actually really like this-we have the stage parents and the overly cocky kids, but the industry folks are very realistic, definitely are actively trying to help and support the kids in their goals, while also giving them some 'tough love', and the kids are generally likable.

I love that it's not an elimination each week, and that one slip up doesn't send a kid home.

I think Poopy needs to hang back until he goes through Puberty. I suspect he'll be in the same position NIqo was a few years ago-when his voice starts shifting, he's going to have a tough time of it. Right now, he is making it because he looks so young and cute, but has the maturity of a 12 yr old, not a 9-10 yr old. But that's not going to last forever.

I don't have problems with Peach's sister helping her write the songs now-but she needs to find her own voice. As it stands, she's coming off less a villain and more a puppet.

None of these kids should have the responsibility for their family, or should feel that their success or lack thereof in a very difficult industry should be responsible for their family's livelihood. I understand passionate kids who want to follow a goal-but sometimes, you have to say "No, I'm not going into debt or cashing in my 401K on a one in a million chance". 

• Love 1

I actually really like this-we have the stage parents and the overly cocky kids, but the industry folks are very realistic, definitely are actively trying to help and support the kids in their goals, while also giving them some 'tough love', and the kids are generally likable. [snip]

I don't have problems with Peach's sister helping her write the songs now-but she needs to find her own voice. As it stands, she's coming off less a villain and more a puppet.

Tonight's episode was good. I really liked the focus groups and thought they would play a role in the hit list, but it seems JD only used the dance session to create the list. 

But to me the focus group was the most informative portion of the episode. Lil Niqo and Supa Peach are the two artists that the kids liked most, and these happen to be the two I like best on the show. Niqo is really my favorite. I know he's been in the middle of the pack on the show, but in terms of his voice, his style, and his potential as an artist, I think he has the most upside. 

Supa Peach was pretty subdued this episode. I wonder if she was on medication (or if her mother saying she was ADHD was a big fat lie). 

It seems like Miss Mulatto and her dad are being made out to be the villains. They are really cocky, and unlike Poopy or the other kids, they don't know how to take constructive criticism and don't feel they have any room for improvement. When the focus group kids said that Miss Mulatto screams too much when she raps, both she and her dad were like, "Whatever." How about listening to what people say and maybe considering that they just might have a point that you can learn something from?

Peach's mother is not helping her process the information, many of the parents/coaches are insulating these kids from reality and not helping them understand why they placed where they placed - to say haters to the focus group is to not understand their function and certainly not to understand the issues they bring up. I particularly hated the kid accompanying poopy who thinks that Poopy's video was his real life and how the kid is living it. Really, he is that rich and women throw themselves at him> I doubt it. 

If that was Poopy's real life in the video, I need them to stop talking about how he wants to win to get out of a bad place. He was rapping about filet mignon and money, if that's real for him he's fine. Also, his name sucks, imho. Did they explain where it came from?

I liked the focus group, and I agree that letting the kids call them "haters" was the wrong reaction. It should have affected placement on the list. I hate the concept of haters in general, though.

How long is this series? I feel like it's Supa Peach's to lose, don't know how long they can drag it out.

And it's a shame Lil Niqo doesn't dance, because he seems perfect for a boy band.

I'm not a fan of rap music, but I find this show interesting anyway.  It's especially interesting that all of these people have garnered some interest on youtube, and based on that, feel like they know it all. How to brand their kids, how to style their kids, how to develop their kids as artists...they don't need advice from anyone, not even Jermaine Dupri, who even *I* know is a heavy hitter in the industry.

Lil Poopy is a baby name. It's appropriate for someone who looks about 9 years old, but when he's 16 it won't be cute any more. Sooner or later, he'll have to drop the "Lil." Is he going to go through his adult career as Poopy? I don't suppose it occurred to anyone to come up with a name that will survive longevity. Or are we all assuming that any traction this kid gets on a career will be short lived, so it doesn't matter?

No offense to Poopy, but it took me a few minutes to figure out whether he was a boy or a girl. In fact, I assume he was a girl until someone referred to him as "he."

Supah Peach has significantly more attitude than talent. Which isn't to say she is untalented, but that her attitude really sucks. And so does her mom's. If I were Jermaine Dupri, I wouldn't sign her. If she's already arrogant and difficult at 12, it's unlikely that she will become LESS so in her teen years. Who wants to work with (and invest $$$$ in) a kid and a nightmare mom who can't take basic instructions? Especially when the kid isn't the phenom she thinks she is?

And the cape is stupid.

As others have said, it is RIDICULOUS that these parents (a) have so much riding on these kids and (b) are constantly repeating that to the kids. When Poops said he grew up in a rough neighborhood, and he wants to make it big so he can get his family out of there, it was really disturbing. First of all, he isn't grown. He still lives in that neighborhood, and when this show is over, he's going back there.  I suspect his neighbors (and family) are the type to assume that because he was on this show, he's made it big and has money. Reality tv pays no money, so it will be fun going home to find everyone waiting with their hand out. Second, how about the parents get their collective act together and "make it" on their own? How about *they* work hard to get more education or a better job, or whatever it takes to improve their own position in life?  How do you think it's ok to put "saving" the family on a 12 year old? This is  recipe for dysfunction. Ten years from now, most of these kids will resent the hell out of their momagers and popagers. They'll want to pull away and live their own lives, and the parents will be running after them screaming "Look what I sacrificed for you! If it wasn't for me, there'd be no you! You OWE me!"

The parents are clueless. Clueless, but convinced they know all they need to know to navigate this industry. A combination doomed to disaster. Tough times ahead for these kids. Even if they do achieve some success.

On a positive note, I do like the way Jermaine handles these kids. He is very professional, he treats them like artists, and he doesn't talk down to them. He's trying to mentor them on how to be smart about their careers. And he handles their (and the parents') nonsense with admirable calm and patience. He could've really tore Peach a new one for being so disrespectful when the stylist was talking to her at the Hit List. Although I wish he had bit a bit harder on her, I think he did handle it the right way. And I hope he noted that she did not apologize. She wasn't even slightly repentant, and the mom blamed it on ADD. Please JD, do not sign that kid. She is going to do whatever the hell she wants, whenever the hell she wants and her mom will do nothing but make excuses for her. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

• Love 2
No offense to Poopy, but it took me a few minutes to figure out whether he was a boy or a girl. In fact, I assume he was a girl until someone referred to him as "he."

It's a combination of the long pretty hair, pretty eyes, and the baby face.  He's cute, but I do wonder how he's going to be like when he grows out of the cute phase.

And like Jermaine said, I think it's okay, that Supa Peach's sister helps write her songs. She's 12, and a 12 year old isn't supposed to be as good a writer as a 16-year old. So get over yourself, Little Mulatto.

It wasn't so much that her sister was helping her write, but that they kept lying about it until they were specifically called out by Jermaine.  And that was annoying.  

I cringe every time I hear Little Poopie say that he's his family's only hope for escaping their awful neighborhood and lives.  Does no one else in his family work??  It's ridiculous to put all that on a child.  

• Love 1

I cringe every time I hear Little Poopie say that he's his family's only hope for escaping their awful neighborhood and lives.  Does no one else in his familys work??  It's ridiculous to put all that on a child.

I know, right? Several of the parents have quit their jobs to focus on their children's careers. And one mom said she emptied her 401K to finance the videos, studio time, etc. Are any of these kids making money? I know they all have a strong social media presence, but except for a few YouTube gamers, most video posters don't make money.

I know Matthew Knowles quit his job to manage Destiny's Child when they first started out. But they were already doing talent shows, performing at carnivals, etc. They already had careers which he was attempting to take to the next level. 

Edited by topanga

Yes, I thought this week's challenge was a good one. It showed both the kids and the adults the reality of the entertainment industry--that so much of your success as an artist depends on your ability to market your brand and to get others to come on board.

I was a little disappointed that Nique and Lyric didn't win. Nique was clearly the best at marketing, and she seemed to get people enthused about Lyric and wanting to sign up for the website. 

There obviously was a lot we didn't see. I don't know how Niqo and Miss Mulatto got the most sign-ups. The clips I did see showed them walking around the mall, occasionally talking to people but not talking much about the website. Those must have been the deleted scenes. Their managers weren't very effective, though I do like Luis as a person. 

And Supa Peach?? She is still one of my favorites, but will someone please tell her how off-putting it is for her to walk to people and say, "I am international superstar," while wearing mirrored sunglasses and a scowl on her face? It didn't make her seem like a kid I'd want to know or follow. And it looks like the numbers reflected that. But Shayne did an awful job as her manager, and I just wish he would have owned up to his own failures. But, being Shayne, he still thinks he's perfect and that everyone else is the problem. 

I dislike Peach and her whole family immensely. I hate to say that about a kid, but a kid can be a jerk as much as any adult, and with her DNA, it seems unavoidable. She's got an enormous chip on her shoulder and she's one of least gracious children I've ever seen on tv. You can be confident and "do you" but you don't have to arrogant and evil. Every word that comes out of her mouth drips with attitude and belligerence. I really hope she doesn't win, but maybe her whole attitude is ok in the rap game because it's part of her swagger. I'm trying to figure out if her name is ironic, because usually when someone is described as a peach, it's because she is nice, kind, pleasant to be around. You know...the opposite of supa peach.

But what do I know? I thought those 2 crucial (two crucial? too crucial?) guys were no more interesting than the other kids on the show. They were no more Supa than Peach. "You did dat. You tried dat. You copy me." Delivered with the finesse of a 5 year old.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

I think her birth name is Peaches. And her sister's name is Precious, so... what's wrong with their mother???? In addition to giving her children stupid names, she seems a little off mentally. 

I reluctantly say that Miss Mulatto blew away the competition this week is now the one to beat. I say reluctantly because I dislike her as a person, mostly because of her arrogant, rude father. Like you, sleepyjean, I hate to say that I dislike a child, but Shayne has convinced Miss Mulatto that she is perfect, has no room to grow, and is better than everyone else in the world. I did like her fan-girl reaction when Usher walked in the room. It shows that there's still a kid in there somewhere. 

But yes, Miss Mulatto's video was professional and entertaining, and she knows how to work the camera. And she interacts well with whatever actors or musicians are in a scene with her.

One thing I noticed was that in her video, Mulatto dropped that whiny, affected Nicki-Minaj Wanna-Be voice that she and Young Lyric have used throughout the competition. I am so glad. It was straight-up annoying, and I'm finally starting to hear Mulatto's authentic rap voice, not the voice she (and Shayne) think the public wants to hear. Young Lyric, unfortunately, still has that voice, and it makes me dislike her rapping. But she's a really sweet little girl, and I like her as a person. 

--I wish Niqo would have done better. His live performance at the school was much better than his performance in the music video.

--Lil Poopy is adorable, but I don't think he's ready for the big stage yet. I hate that his family has put so much pressure on him to succeed. How about you get a friggin job and get yourselves out of the 'hood instead of relying on the uncertain future of a 12-year-old??????

I think her birth name is Peaches. And her sister's name is Precious, so... what's wrong with their mother???? In addition to giving her children stupid names, she seems a little off mentally. 

I reluctantly say that Miss Mulatto blew away the competition this week is now the one to beat. I say reluctantly because I dislike her as a person, mostly because of her arrogant, rude father. Like you, sleepyjean, I hate to say that I dislike a child, but Shayne has convinced Miss Mulatto that she is perfect, has no room to grow and improve, and is better than every other rapper in the world. I did like her fan-girl reaction when Usher walked into the room. It shows that there's still a kid in there somewhere. 

But yes, Miss Mulatto's video was professional and entertaining, and she knows how to work the camera. And she interacts well with whatever actors or musicians are in a scene with her.

One thing I noticed was that in her video, Mulatto dropped that whiny, affected Nicki-Minaj Wanna-Be voice that she and Young Lyric have used throughout the competition. I am so glad. It was straight-up annoying, and I'm finally starting to hear Mulatto's authentic rap voice, not the voice she (and Shayne) think the public wants to hear. Young Lyric, unfortunately, still has that voice, and it makes me dislike her rapping. But she's a really sweet little girl, and I like her as a person. 

--I wish Niqo would have done better. His live performance at the school was much better than his performance in the music video.

--Lil Poopy is adorable, but I don't think he's ready for the big stage yet. I hate that his family has put so much pressure on him to succeed. How about you get a friggin job and get yourselves out of the 'hood instead of relying on the uncertain future of a 12-year-old??????

JD emphasized that he chose the person that was ready "right now" to go into the studio. And I'd agree that Miss Mulatto fits the bill. I do think Supa Peach has the most raw talent, and as she grows, if she improves her writing skills and her attitude, she will be a star.

Strange, I never watched the show but did see the preview where the rappers were introduced, and based on the casting, I correctly called the winner.

Interesting. Was it because she was the oldest, or did you hear clips from their raps and thought hers was the best?

Interesting. Was it because she was the oldest, or did you hear clips from their raps and thought hers was the best?

Sadly, I thought her name reflected the aesthetic the show was going for. I wanted to be wrong and maybe she really was the best, but it is what it is.

• Love 1

Sadly, I thought her name reflected the aesthetic the show was going for. I wanted to be wrong and maybe she really was the best, but it is what it is.

Hmmm. I think the kids on the show had a variety of looks, ranging from very light to brown-skinned. But I do find it interesting that 4 of the 5 of the kids were black--or partially black.  I'm sure there are more Latino kids besides Lil' Poopy whose rap videos are on YouTube, and there are definitely white (and probably Asian) kids who rap. So I don't know if JD really felt these five were better than any other kid rappers on the Internet, or if he specifically wanted to give this opportunity to children of color. 

Miss Mulatto is old enough at 16 that she can sort-of be portrayed as sexy. Not too sexy, mind you. But she can wear the midriff shirts that she does, and most people won't tsk-tsk her. 

• Love 1

Miss Mulatto is old enough at 16 that she can sort-of be portrayed as sexy. Not too sexy, mind you. But she can wear the midriff shirts that she does, and most people won't tsk-tsk her.

So it's sort of like how on America's Got Talent when they keep advancing the kid acts knowing full well, they don't fit into the Vegas themed prized -- Unless this has changed, I've stopped watching.

Hope JD changes Miss Mulatto's name cause it so....just wrong.  That little Poopy should be a hair model or something.  I dont think rapping is his thing.  Can you imagine if Supa Peach's mother was your mom?  Poor Supa Peach and Lil Poopy, got grown as adults trying to live off them.

Hope JD changes Miss Mulatto's name cause it so....just wrong.  That little Poopy should be a hair model or something.  I dont think rapping is his thing.  Can you imagine if Supa Peach's mother was your mom?  Poor Supa Peach and Lil Poopy, got grown as adults trying to live off them.

• Love 1

As a mixed race individual I hated Miss Mulatto's name until the final episode when she explained it and wrote her rap for the battle. She made a conscious choice, she knows what it's about, I respect that. I hope she doesn't go too sexy.

Poopy has the name I think needs to be changed.

And I feel for Peach. I wanted JD to pay off her mom and take her away. It's gonna be hard for her, based on what we saw. And if that's her mother's on TV behavior...

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, that reunion became a hot mess. I haven't seen what happened during the commercial, but it seemed like Supa Peach and Miss Mulatto almost (or did) come to blows. I'm actually disappointed that all of those adults on stage couldn't control what was happening between two children.

ETA: Everything you said was on point. Great review.

I agree that Miss Mulatto felt very threatened by Supa Peach. And how does a 16-year old feel superior when comparing her writing skills to a 12-year old's? I'm sure that as Supa enters her teen years, she will begin to write more.

Edited by topanga
ETA: Everything you said was on point.

I disagreed with quite a bit of what you said. Supa Peach's attitude sucked. Whether or not she openly denigrated anyone else, a 12 year old running around saying she's the best, she's better than anyone else, she's the real winner, is a pain in the butt. I don't Miss M was threatened, she was annoyed by this little punk kid running her mouth instead of being a gracious loser. I think it finally got to her and she let it out. Calling Peach a little Kanye was accurate, but no complement. She has no humility. No graciousness. She's one of those special little snowflakes that think they have no flaws and are annoying as hell to everyone around them.

She did not win and she's not the best. There are plenty of things she needs to work on. Can she rap better than most people in her peer group? Probably. But she wasn't the best in this competition. Not to JD who saw more of her than any of the viewers and critiqued her plenty. If I were a professional, I wouldn't want to work with her or her mother, and if she is this arrogant at 12, she will be a complete monster by 18. Supa Peach IS wack.

Supa Peach's attitude sucked. Whether or not she openly denigrated anyone else, a 12 year old running around saying she's the best, she's better than anyone else, she's the real winner, is a pain in the butt.

But Miss Mulatto did the same thing. She said she didn't consider anyone in the house her competition because she was clearly number one. When someone else got the top spot on the hit list, she said it should have been her because she's obviously the best. Supa Peach definitely had issues, but I won't say she was more arrogant than Miss Mulatto. 

Yes, Miss Mulatto did get the contract, and I agree with JD that of all the kids, she was the most ready to begin a recording contract. But she's also the oldest. 4 + years older than Supa Peach. 

I don't know any of these kids and I'm not from any of their cities so I'm giving my opinion objectively. 

I was glad Tally left because she was copying Iggy's look and sound and I can't stand a copy cat. I also didn't like that she had no accent when she was talking but then pulled out the accent when she was rapping. She didn't seem genuine. She's most likely a kid trying to make it big in any way she can. We'll probably see her again but it probably won't be rapping.

My boyfriend likes the Prince of New York and I like HIM, not his mom. She's despicable and it makes me not want him to win. She needs to let someone else manage him because her ideas suck and her personality will be his downfall.

Jayla doesn't write her lyrics and I don't think that's fair in this game.

Nia annoys the hell out of me but she's pretty good. I wish she'd quit that whatever she does at the end of her raps. 

Mani seems bored. Makes me wonder.

That leaves me with Lil Key. None of these kids have been perfect but I really like his style and he's definitely serious about what he does. And he's good at what he does. His manager puts in the work without getting all ghetto. They are professional. He deserves it. I'd buy his album just to help the kid out if for nothing else but my hunch is, I would enjoy an album by Lil Key. He's likeable and I think that's important. Lil Key all the way for me. 

Unfortunately, I think they'll choose Prince of New York. Sad his mom makes me want him to go away. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I don't know any of these kids and I'm not from any of their cities so I'm giving my opinion objectively. 

I was glad Tally left because she was copying Iggy's look and sound and I can't stand a copy cat. I also didn't like that she had no accent when she was talking but then pulled out the accent when she was rapping. She didn't seem genuine. She's most likely a kid trying to make it big in any way she can. We'll probably see her again but it probably won't be rapping.

My boyfriend likes the Prince of New York and I like HIM, not his mom. She's despicable and it makes me not want him to win. She needs to let someone else manage him because her ideas suck and her personality will be his downfall.

Jayla doesn't write her lyrics and I don't think that's fair in this game.

Nia annoys the hell out of me but she's pretty good. I wish she'd quit that whatever she does at the end of her raps. 

Mani seems bored. Makes me wonder.

That leaves me with Lil Key. None of these kids have been perfect but I really like his style and he's definitely serious about what he does. And he's good at what he does. His manager puts in the work without getting all ghetto. They are professional. He deserves it. I'd buy his album just to help the kid out if for nothing else but my hunch is, I would enjoy an album by Lil Key. He's likeable and I think that's important. Lil Key all the way for me. 

Unfortunately, I think they'll choose Prince of New York. Sad his mom makes me want him to go away. 

I agree with just about everything in this post.  Lil' Key is my favorite contestant for his attitude (I loved what he said about overcoming struggles), but I prefer Prince of New York as a rapper.  His mother won't stay his manager for long if he gets this contract.  There is no way professionals will put up with her and she will quickly be pushed to the side.  I don't think her son would mind too much either.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, HZAnita said:

I agree with just about everything in this post.  Lil' Key is my favorite contestant for his attitude (I loved what he said about overcoming struggles), but I prefer Prince of New York as a rapper.  His mother won't stay his manager for long if he gets this contract.  There is no way professionals will put up with her and she will quickly be pushed to the side.  I don't think her son would mind too much either.

I love Prince of New York, but his mom grates. I like that he was picked for the magazine cover, and it happened to be for the only photo where he chose the pose, not his opinionated, pushy mother. I hope Jermaine has told her (off-camera, maybe?) that she's doing her son no favors with her personality. It's like Supa-Peach from last season. One of the producers even said that they would love to work with Supa, but they wouldn't want to have to deal with her mother. 

I liked Queen Latifah's appearance. I hope she did talk to the boys and that they just edited it out. It would be terrible if she only gave advice to the female rappers. The male rappers (like Snoop) gave advice to everyone. I liked that she mentioned the importance of learning to breath between lines. Nia Kaye always sounds like she's about to pass out when she inhales.

And Jayla Marie is a quite cocky, but there's something about her that keeps me rooting for her.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I love Prince of New York, but his mom grates. I like that he was picked for the magazine cover, and it happened to be for the only photo where he chose the pose, not his opinionated, pushy mother. I hope Jermaine has told her (off-camera, maybe?) that she's doing her son no favors with her personality. It's like Supa-Peach from last season. One of the producers even said that they would love to work with Supa, but they wouldn't want to have to deal with her mother. 

I liked Queen Latifah's appearance. I hope she did talk to the boys and that they just edited it out. It would be terrible if she only gave advice to the female rappers. The male rappers (like Snoop) gave advice to everyone. I liked that she mentioned the importance of learning to breath between lines. Nia Kaye always sounds like she's about to pass out when she inhales.

And Jayla Marie is a quite cocky, but there's something about her that keeps me rooting for her.

I am with you on the awkwardness of the Queen Latifah visit if she did only pump up the girls.  It's not that I don't like Jayla Marie, I just feel like if she can't write her own stuff, she's not on the same level of the other kids.  Plus, if she does have a staff of professional "writers," how are the others supposed to compete?  I know that a lot of artists don't write, but I think this show should feature "prodigies" and limit the contestants to kids who can create their own work.  JMO. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, HZAnita said:

I am with you on the awkwardness of the Queen Latifah visit if she did only pump up the girls.  It's not that I don't like Jayla Marie, I just feel like if she can't write her own stuff, she's not on the same level of the other kids.  Plus, if she does have a staff of professional "writers," how are the others supposed to compete?  I know that a lot of artists don't write, but I think this show should feature "prodigies" and limit the contestants to kids who can create their own work.  JMO. 

Does it make a difference to you that she's only 11 and probably will write when she gets older? 

That was my issue last season with Supa Peach. She was only 12, but she didn't write her own raps. But who's to say she won't when she gets older? 

1 minute ago, topanga said:

Does it make a difference to you that she's only 11 and probably will write when she gets older? 

That was my issue last season with Supa Peach. She was only 12, but she didn't write her own raps. But who's to say she won't when she gets older? 

I have an 11 year old daughter to compare her to objectively, so I know Jayla Marie is amazing. lol  And I really liked Supa Peach also.  I just think it should be more of an even playing field for this kind of show.  IMO, they should invite kids on the show when they can write.  I mean, would they invite kids onto Project Runway, Jr. who had teams of designers creating the patterns from the kids' ideas?  I don't think so....:/

• Love 2

I like Jayla, but she's not ready for this competition.  To not perform at all, is not acceptable.  Like Brat said,  her manager should have had a plan B.  Maybe perform half a verse rather than a full verse.  Or just the hook.....something.   Jayla's dad is a good dad, but he needs to step up as a manager.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, After7Only said:

I like Jayla, but she's not ready for this competition.  To not perform at all, is not acceptable.  Like Brat said,  her manager should have had a plan B.  Maybe perform half a verse rather than a full verse.  Or just the hook.....something.   Jayla's dad is a good dad, but he needs to step up as a manager.  

I so agree.  Jayla Marie is just not ready for this competition.  If she takes two days to get her flow together, there is no way she can compete with the kids who are creating their own work.  I thought for sure JD was going to let her go.

On 8/13/2016 at 2:13 PM, After7Only said:

I agree. I don't think she's ready for this competition. 

But none of the kids are blowing me away with their talent. I like the Prince of New York best as a person, but his rapping style doesn't wow me. And Nia Kaye (?) is just okay. 

I really feel like, unless something unexpected happens, Lil Key has this in the bag.  Nia Kay's dad is kind of evil to try to sabotage a kid like that.  I'm glad he got called out.  Also, I feel like Jayla Marie's dad was wrong to pull rank on JI's mom like he did.  That was not following the rules of the challenge.  Personally, I'm tired of Jayla Marie still being there.  She hasn't completed two of the challenges and didn't listen to the criticism of the (hilarious) focus group.  Speaking of the focus group, whoever that little snarky kid was. he needs to be on a show. lol

• Love 5
4 hours ago, HZAnita said:

I really feel like, unless something unexpected happens, Lil Key has this in the bag.  Nia Kay's dad is kind of evil to try to sabotage a kid like that.  I'm glad he got called out.  Also, I feel like Jayla Marie's dad was wrong to pull rank on JI's mom like he did.  That was not following the rules of the challenge.  Personally, I'm tired of Jayla Marie still being there.  She hasn't completed two of the challenges and didn't listen to the criticism of the (hilarious) focus group.  Speaking of the focus group, whoever that little snarky kid was. he needs to be on a show. lol

Lil Key actually looked really hurt when he found out about the attempt at sabotage. Fuck Nia Kay's dad.That puts her below J.I my mind just because of her dad. The parents are sabotaging their own children by their terrible attitudes. 

I get the feeling that Jayla Marie's parents just want her to be famous in any way. Sorry but I can't respect that. It seems like they woke up one day and decided to try rapping so that maybe she'd get enough attention to be on the Disney channel one day or something. That's why she keeps trying to sing when they tell her not to. She's trying to get discovered by somebody. Anybody. Remember, she's a model too. It wouldn't surprise me if it comes out that she's also done some acting. She just doesn't strike me as real. Of course, rap for me comes from the 90's when people had a lot to say and most artists had real life experiences that would have these kids crying and hiding under their beds. 

I hated The Prince of New York's YouTube video that was played for the focus group, saying he's got shooters in the bushes. Haha, really? Just keep it real, children. No reason to get all gangster. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I hated The Prince of New York's YouTube video that was played for the focus group, saying he's got shooters in the bushes. Haha, really? Just keep it real, children. No reason to get all gangster. 

I just watched that video a few days ago and I kept thinking, "He needed a word to go with 'uber.'" 

I agree about the appropriateness...but JI is nowhere near LilPoopyLevel. lol

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HZAnita said:

I just watched that video a few days ago and I kept thinking, "He needed a word to go with 'uber.'" 

I agree about the appropriateness...but JI is nowhere near LilPoopyLevel. lol

It's a little bit Dr. Seussish in the chorus.

• Love 2

I mean, I guess she did good if you watch it back but I'm just such a Lil Key fan. I loved how he fit in with the group of dancers like just some dudes kickin it, instead of a little girl dancing in front of a bunch of creepers. Oh well. Let her have her time. She won't win the show.

And Lil Key does have a sweet smile, bless his little heart. I'm glad they told him to smile more. His video stood out to me because of that.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 2
On 8/27/2016 at 2:05 PM, Nowhere said:

I mean, I guess she did good if you watch it back but I'm just such a Lil Key fan. I loved how he fit in with the group of dancers like just some dudes kickin it, instead of a little girl dancing in front of a bunch of creepers. Oh well. Let her have her time. She won't win the show.

And Lil Key does have a sweet smile, bless his little heart. I'm glad they told him to smile more. His video stood out to me because of that.

You hit the nail on the head. I couldn't figure out why my mind won't let me fully embrace Nia Kay. She's talented, sure, but she looks like a little girl pretending to be a rapper.  So I guess I respond to her on that level. It's not the braces or her short stature, either. She's just child-like to me (not childish, mind you). 

And you're right--Lil' Key (no more "Lil"s! Please) fit in well with the group. He seemed like a featured rapper in the video who just happened to be a teenager. And I don't care if his moves weren't "choreographed." Key moved well to the beat of the song, and that was fine. I think JD felt he had to throw a bone to Nia Kay to honor her effort and her self-motivation. 

As compared to last year's kids: Lil (arggh!) Poopy did seem young, but Miss Mulatto fit in well with other rappers. And so did Supa Peach, even though she was only 12. I never got a child-like vibe from her. (My kids keep telling me to get over Supa Peach -- they say I should stop trying to make Fetch happen).

• Love 2