Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: A Suitable Donor

Also they make it clear that the son recognizes Pritchard as probably somehow related to himself.

He doesn't. They explained this by inference, but did a shit job of it. He's the idealized version of himself. The presumption is he's more in shape, possibly better looking, taller, definitely better muscled, etc. Looking enough like his old self to seem familiar to his son, but not exactly.

I finished watching the rest of the episode a couple of minutes ago, and wanted to come in and update my previous thought. On the bridge, (I'm paraphrasing) Duval says to him,"If you took a blood test, what would I find?" and in return Ray says something like,"Not right now." 

Now I believe something more along the lines of what you said, Kromm--that the twins probably just made a souped-up clone of Ray.  I won't fault his son for not recognizing him. Some older people looked almost exactly like their present-day selves when they were younger, minus a few wrinkles and grey hairs. Others look different enough that a person might not recognize them at first. 

Edited by C76

I finished watching the rest of the episode a couple of minutes ago, and wanted to come in and update my previous thought. On the bridge, (I'm paraphrasing) Duval says to him,"If you took a blood test, what would I find?" and in return Ray says something like,"Not right now." 

Now I believe something more along the lines of what you said, Kromm--that the twins probably just made a souped-up clone of Ray.  I won't fault his son for not recognizing him. Some older people looked almost exactly like their present-day selves when they were younger, minus a few wrinkles and grey hairs. Others look different enough that a person might not recognize them at first. 

I don't see why people think it has to be a different body. The premise seems to be about tissue regeneration. So it would be the same body.

I won't fault his son for not recognizing him. Some older people looked almost exactly like their present-day selves when they were younger, minus a few wrinkles and grey hairs. Others look different enough that a person might not recognize them at first. 

If I ran into my father, only at age 35 where I knew him only from photographs, I wouldn't be all, "Daaaad!  How did you get genetically reconstructed and/or time traveled back into my life?!??"  I might be somewhat un-nerved by the experience, but I'd be "Wow, that guy is the spitting image of my father!"  Even if he came over and said "Pssst!  It's me!  There is this trans-dimensional warp..."  I'd be like, "Yeah, right!  Well, I dunno what your game is, but d'you wanna get lost now, or do I have to thump you first?"

• Love 1

If I ran into my father, only at age 35 where I knew him only from photographs, I wouldn't be all, "Daaaad!  How did you get genetically reconstructed and/or time traveled back into my life?!??"  I might be somewhat un-nerved by the experience, but I'd be "Wow, that guy is the spitting image of my father!"  Even if he came over and said "Pssst!  It's me!  There is this trans-dimensional warp..."  I'd be like, "Yeah, right!  Well, I dunno what your game is, but d'you wanna get lost now, or do I have to thump you first?"

That reaction is very much like Tim DeKay's character assuming his rejuvenated father was a heretofore unknown half brother.
  • Love 1

The ho is preggers, right?  This will give us a whole new "donor" specimen we will be made to care about.  Maybe the baby will grow at like five times the rate of a normal baby?  

If you're talking about Bettina and she doesn't have an abortion, that could put me off the show.  No way does a businesswoman like that carry a child.

One thing that bugged me is younger Jimmy never looked in the mirror. I understand they removed the mirrors from the re-creation of his apartment, but in the bar, he didn't look in the mirror when he rolled the drug dealer. If I were suddenly 40 years younger and a stud again , I'd be checking myself out all the time.

I noticed that just before he jumped out the window.  I thought for a moment he was checking his reflection in the glass.

It's seems weird because he isn't staring and getting used to his new self. I am betting Jimmy, after hitting 75, just is happy he's handsome and alive...

And having hot young women put their hands on their abs.

I don't see why people think it has to be a different body. The premise seems to be about tissue regeneration. So it would be the same body.

In order for it to make sense that Mary is using the same process to cure her cancer, it has to be the same body that was healed.

• Love 4

If you're talking about Bettina and she doesn't have an abortion, that could put me off the show.  No way does a businesswoman like that carry a child.

Eh, she's getting a little old for that line of work. Maybe she decides to go for it. Especially if she finds out it's very valuable.

In order for it to make sense that Mary is using the same process to cure her cancer, it has to be the same body that was healed.

There was a line about his body being "the best version of you" or something like that. If his old self was born during The Great Depression, it's possible poor nutrition effected his stature and even his facial bones enough for him to look more like a relative than the actual old guy's younger self. But at this point I'm not sure the show's writers have given it enough thought to bother explaining that or another reasonable explanation.
  • Love 1

But, his son not recognizing him was along the same lines, but not as bad, as people not recognizing Clark is Superman

The thing is, Tim DeKay is old enough that he should have lots of childhood memories of how his dad looked at 35, not just a photograph or two from that time. Maybe Jimmy is considerably more buff this time around, but at least his face ought to be pretty similar to how it used to look at that age. I wish they'd had him comment that the mysterious rescuer was the spitting image of Jimmy as a young man, and then had THAT lead into the discussion about him possibly being an illegitimate half-brother. (Of course, I also think they should have considered an actor for Old Jimmy that has a less distinctive voice and look than Philip Baker Hall. Pity George Peppard is no longer with us, he'd have been a perfect older version of Rob Kazinsky.)

If you're talking about Bettina and she doesn't have an abortion, that could put me off the show.  No way does a businesswoman like that carry a child.

Also Bettina probably used a condom, as requested. Super-potent doesn't necessarily equate to bust the condom. Jimmy's super-fertile, is what I took away.

One of the old maxims was that you didn't necessarily get pregnant the first time or from one time. With Super!Jimmy, well....I think it is too early to get anyone pregnant. (Not that the show won't/shouldn't/can't go there, but we've only seen the pilot.) 

Also Bettina probably used a condom, as requested. Super-potent doesn't necessarily equate to bust the condom. Jimmy's super-fertile, is what I took away.

True. I forgot they made that clear through dialog. However, a female relative did get pregnant while on the Pill and using a condom--the women in my family are a fertile bunch: It only took once without protection to conceive each of my kids. So IRL, I don't know that superpowered sperm are as important as the fertile environment into which they swim. But this is scifi, so I'll let it go. Now if super guy uses his powers to quickly become super rich guy, I could imagine her poking a hole in a condom--but that would also poke an unpatchable hole in the Pretty Woman love story they've sort of got going. I suppose the super potent line could have just been for the purpose of letting the audience know that he knew to use protection and they did, and that it will never be mentioned again.

The thing is, Tim DeKay is old enough that he should have lots of childhood memories of how his dad looked at 35, not just a photograph or two from that time. Maybe Jimmy is considerably more buff this time around, but at least his face ought to be pretty similar to how it used to look at that age. I wish they'd had him comment that the mysterious rescuer was the spitting image of Jimmy as a young man, and then had THAT lead into the discussion about him possibly being an illegitimate half-brother.

What do you suppose was the purpose of such a statement (the one about him probably being a half-brother) if not to acknowledge they saw the resemblance? It accomplished the same thing--it informed us they were aware of the fact that he looked like their Dad. I disliked a lot of the writing on this, but this seemed to me to work as a short and economical way to accomplish what they needed to.  Economy is a good thing in a TV pilot, not a bad thing--a whole extra scene devoted to specifically to how the guy looked like dear old dad, followed by a SECOND scene where they conclude he could be a half brother would be wasteful (of precious time in a 43 minute pilot). 

• Love 1
What do you suppose was the purpose of such a statement (the one about him probably being a half-brother) if not to acknowledge they saw the resemblance? It accomplished the same thing--it informed us they were aware of the fact that he looked like their Dad.

Plus, if someone hops out of a vat all super-muscled, they may resemble but not be identical to the version that grew up without ideal fitness and nutrition or who had some injuries, etc. along the way, or who might have environmental birthmarks, or chickenpox scars, etc.

• Love 2

Point of order: if they have a process that can raise someone from the dead and restore his youth after he's been thrown off a bridge and his skull split open, is Mary dying from history's most gentle case of terminal cancer really all that bad? Why can't they just bring her back to life and dip her in the goo every 12 hours?

Mary has TV cancer like Horatio Caines wife on CSI Miami. They stay incredibly beautiful and not a hair sheds off their pretty little heads after super intensive chemo treatments. They could at least put circles under their eyes and have them act tired.

• Love 2

I know this does not mean much, but I am somewhat glad that I am not the only one who noticed that Tim DeKay (especially when he was on Seinfeld) looks a lot like Michael Shannon. At least I can now say that I am not totally crazy.