Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: A Suitable Donor

Watch a special preview of the Series Premiere of FOX's thrilling new action-drama SECOND CHANCE in its entirety!

Season 1 Episode 1 TV-14 - See more at: http://www.fox.com/watch/590491715746/7765920768

I was pleasantly surprised. It engaged me, wrapped things up in a way that pilots don't normally do, brought a lot of favorite actors back to TV (where did the girl assistant come from? I know that assistant!), introduced some really cool special effects, and has a hero who is nicely flawed.

The twins didn't get any time to be developed but I'm invested in JrSheriff and his Prostitute Girlfriend.

• Love 1

Will Fox never give up on greenlighting questionable Sci-Fi shows?  (My bar is set pretty high with this kind of show since CBS' Limitless managed to actually do a great job)

There are parts of this which might work with good writing, but I'm not sure how likely it is that it will get that.

I did like that this is near future but without belaboring that. They don't slam you on the head with the fact that not just the tech used to restore him, but even the everyday computer stuff clearly marks this as not 2016.

Some of the acting was pretty bad in this though, and at this point those twins are just annoying. Also, an unlikeable lead is always a tough sell, and so far this hasn't sold him well enough.

There's potential here--and of course (like Limitless) the Pilot may not be the best representation. But it's an uphill climb I think.

• Love 2

And they're clearly telegraphing that female twin (Mary, right?) and YoungOldGuy are fated to bone, aren't they? I mean after she makes her miracle recovery.  And the other twin isn't going to like that. 

I did like though that they built in a way to explain why he's going to (inevitably) be hanging around his family (the whole "he must be a secret half-brother" thing).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I found myself playing with my phone a few times during the pilot. I like the concept but something just didn't jell for me. I guess it felt cliched. Of course he has super-human strength. Of course he gets all the ladies. Of course the FBI agents are all dirty and it goes all the way to the top. Of course the female twin has feelings for him. Of course he was saved in the nick of time. Snore.

• Love 5

I did like though that they built in a way to explain why he's going to (inevitably) be hanging around his family (the whole "he must be a secret half-brother" thing).

They also did set up the investigative angle with the car license plate  evidence at the end of the episode too.

Will Fox never give up on greenlighting questionable Sci-Fi shows?  (My bar is set pretty high with this kind of show since CBS' Limitless managed to actually do a great job)

Probably not since they haven't learned at this point and it usually doesn't work out for them.

I found myself playing with my phone a few times during the pilot. I like the concept but something just didn't jell for me. I guess it felt cliched. Of course he has super-human strength. Of course he gets all the ladies. Of course the FBI agents are all dirty and it goes all the way to the top. Of course the female twin has feelings for him. Of course he was saved in the nick of time. Snore.

It reminded me of an old tv series, Now and Again, in terms of the premise.

I can see why they got rid of the Frankenstein reference in the title, it's just super strength that has to be 'recharged' for plot convenience.

I liked it.   I'm not familiar with any of the actors, but I thought they were all pretty good.  It was interesting, without being totally cliche, which I especially appreciate after watching "Colony."  The only questionable character for me is the FBI's sister (Helen?) who really is boring.  I assume the granddaughter will figure it out, which will be awesome when she becomes grand-dad's partner.  I don't think Jimmy and Mary will hook up for quite a while, until the show needs a bump, since he's got the prostitute girlfriend.   I didn't get the super strength thing, unless it's a plot device to ensure that the twins and Jimmy stay connected

• Love 1

I assume the granddaughter will figure it out, which will be awesome when she becomes grand-dad's partner.

I certainly hope not. It's kind of cliche city. Or rather if she does figure it out (how? I mean the very idea is ludicrous) I imagine it'll just be an excuse to damsel in distress her a bunch of times. I can't see a good result with making her too collaborative with him.

I don't think Jimmy and Mary will hook up for quite a while, until the show needs a bump, since he's got the prostitute girlfriend.

I think they'll play out the prostitute pretty quickly, but I agree the Jimmy/Mary thing will be somewhat unrequited for some time. That won't keep the brother from getting upset though--they can play on that even if the two are just flirting while Otto watches on his little screen. Clearly his fear of losing her will take multiple forms.

I didn't get the super strength thing, unless it's a plot device to ensure that the twins and Jimmy stay connected

It's in service of the show's original name/concept "The Frankenstein Code". He's supposed to be Frankenstein's monster. The thing keeping him connected to the twins isn't the super strength of course, but the cliched clock countdown thing where if they don't dip him in revival goo ever so often, his body rejects whatever sciency mumbo-jumbo was done to him and dies. Also I suppose that will be supplemented by him wanting to bone Mary--her name is no coincidence--think who wrote Frankenstein. Can't say I understand where they got the name "Otto" though, since Mary Shelley's brothers were named "William" and "Charles". Edited by Kromm

I hope it's not Otto Frankenstein.

Victor Frankenstein + Otto Goodwin = Otto Frank?

I have to say I'm dubious. 

Mary is clear of course. Not only for "Mary" but also "Goodwin" (Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin Shelley).

If we're digging for Ottos, admittedly there aren't a lot. There's Anne Frank's Daddy, sure, but I don't see any other connection other than "Frank". There's Otto Preminger. There's fictional Otto Octavious (at least he's a mad scientist). There's Otto von Bismarck. 

Okay that runs me out of Ottos. Lets just say Dr. Octopus merged with Anne Frank's Dad and became siblings with a hot Indian version of Mary Shelley.

But I do really want a Bishy. Did anyone's names or nicknames sound particularly Bysshe-ishy? I will also pay  out of my pocket for a stone craft store called Wollen's.

So I guess we should be looking for people or places named Percy? It's a lot easier to slip that into a contemporary story than a "Bysshe".

I'd also look for Byrons, of course.

Really the real people were more scandalous than anything they could do here. I mean since we just have a pair of twins and no other siblings, it's not like you could have a Byron banging their sister Claire.

Edited by Kromm

I've heard that this and the so-called "preview" (present as episode 0 in this forum) are actually identical, so you guys may want to merge the topics (after verifying that, of course).

• Love 1

It was interesting.  I am interested.

Jimmy seems like some truths are gonna hit him a bit hard, but the disgraced, retired sheriff may not let it get him down too much. Not since his patron/angel/roomie is Mary. Then again, he seemed to like The Not-Too-Many Questions Hooker, who'll take someone home after meeting him for about 10 minutes.

Timmy! I am hoping that the dialogue for Otto gets better.  I am glad that Arthur seems to mostly be aware, but he seems 'shippy to me. ( O: " What is that expression on Mary's face?" A:" I believe it is longing.") I like the scruffy look on Otto.

Mary is okay, as well, so I totally get Eve's observation that anyone/-thing could have subbed for Otto and Mary.  The actress is lovely, and I think she was trying to hit the concern and  shame ( for playing god and bringing Jimmy back for herself.) Still, scriptwriters? Go easy on the " That's you going into me" crap, huh? Jimmy is 75. He was resurrected at night, and last night at that, but he's no dumb bunny.

Tim DeKay is fine, but I was disappointed that Duvall didn't play Devil's Advocate and think about how deep the rabbit hole went wrt dirty officemates. 

"I may be superpotent" needs to be the title of the quotes thread.

I'm still processing, but  I now understand why Eve kept pushing "Next".  It's like potato chips!

• Love 2

I thought it was ok, and will probably keep watching.  Three things bugged me:  (1) the sister/daughter Helen, I don't know if it's bad acting, bad writing or both, but the character was annoying; (2) no way would any FBI agent believe that the FBI son would kill himself in the same place/manner as his father when it was clear they were not close; and (3) the name Duval.  That seems so southern, but they are not a family shown to live in/be from the south. 

• Love 1

Not the greatest but not the worst either. 

I did have to roll with the punches on a few things.  For someone who has terminal cancer, the CEO sure doesn't mind showing off that bare midriff of hers.

I'm calling it now but mainly because it seems cliche:  the granddaughter will figure it out first.

I'll watch next week to see if it holds my interest, especially since I miss having Tim DeKay on TV every week.

• Love 1

I've heard that this and the so-called "preview" (present as episode 0 in this forum) are actually identical, so you guys may want to merge the topics (after verifying that, of course).

So they didn't change anything, thanks.  I remember them changing things for Minority Report when it happened.

From the recap:

Lean in, Mary! Lean in!

I did a literal spit-take at this, because it was so funny.  Also, although I've had friends who had cancer and held up physically, it was because they were diagnosed early and responded well to treatment.  

I liked the twins more than most people--either because the actors did their best, or because the actress who plays Mary has great facial expressions.

• Love 1

Good enough. Particularly when there's almost nothing else to watch in the mid-season wasteland before many series new eps arrive.

I liked Jimmy. I liked that Jimmy, both old and young, was unapologetic. If he did what he thought was right, he should stick by it. And... if what he did was illegal, then he is stuck with the consequences of that. Cool.

I'm glad that a big part of the FBI corruption and Jimmy's Not!suicide was dealt with in this episode. It'll be interesting to see how quickly they pick up on the thread of the shot callers behind the corrupt FBI. I missed his name but, during the bridge and home invasion scenes, the Caucasian guy that was giving Duval's partner instructions, he's part of the group playing everyone, no?

The twins. Not sure how I like Otto and Mary yet but I laud the production team for finding a dysfunction that allows for secret language, genius savant, billionaire corporate head, AND cancer patient. I wish they would wrap the cancer patient plot- Hey! The Jimmy cure works! But I have a feeling all season- if not longer- will mine the drama and tension induced by Mary's impending doom prognosis.

And I wanted desperately for someone to trip Otto while on his scooter ride through his company's halls. I'm a bad person.

Then again, he seemed to like The Not-Too-Many Questions Hooker, who'll take someone home after meeting him for about 10 minutes.

Well, the someone looks like Rob Kazinsky and had a bankroll that could choke a horse, so I'll give her a pass. (Hell, we'd hit the 10 minute mark on the cab ride to my place even if I still thought he was a barefoot vagrant.)

That Schroedinger's accent Rob was sporting was really bad though, and there's no excuse for not getting a better take since he's the series lead and this was a pilot that had who knows how much time for ADR. (On True Blood his Southern accent was supposed to be fake/recently adopted, and in Hot Pursuit he played a minor character and I'm sure getting an intelligible line reading out of Sofia Vergara was the priority in most of his scenes.)

• Love 2

At least on Now and Again, Eric Close/ Michael was expected to be superhumanly strong and everything else.  It seemed unusual that the twins, with all of their technical support, wouldn't think about the possibility of their subject being super strong after the transfer/de-aging.  When Jimmy woke up and got angry, then started choking Mary, a) the panic button needed to happen sooner, and b) it was lucky the twins had 12x the amount of sedative around to pump into  their test subject. I guess we are to believe that Otto would be super-contingency dude and  have the first dose loaded but have the next dozen measured and ready to go as well?

nerdyduck, your early call on the granddaughter might be right. Llike Quantum Leap and other body-displacement shows, kids and animals can see "the truth".( I was going through the channels when I saw  half-naked Bacula holding an infant. According to Al, the baby could tell Sam was Sam.)

I am glad Amanda Detmer is Helen, as I really liked Ms. Detmer on Necessary Roughness. I hope we see more of Helen.

• Love 2

Point of order: if they have a process that can raise someone from the dead and restore his youth after he's been thrown off a bridge and his skull split open, is Mary dying from history's most gentle case of terminal cancer really all that bad? Why can't they just bring her back to life and dip her in the goo every 12 hours?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 7

I enjoyed the show.  I liked Rob Kazinsky on True Blood and I think he can carry this show, his accent notwithstanding.    I recognize the actor who plays Otto as David Spade's long-suffering assistant Timmy on "Rules of Engagement".  I appreciate the fact that they cast two Indian actors as the twins, but would like to see more background on them.  The twins could have been played by anyone, they are a blank slate so far.  Why do they have the names Otto and Mary Goodwin?  Are they adopted, etc.

I find some small logistics of the show a bit puzzling.  Did the twins build a room that looks like Jimmy's apartment somewhere in their own house?  The windows don't go anywhere and the door is secured by steel?  Seems odd that these people who are supposed to be geniuses and reinforced the door with a steel door didn't consider the possibility that he could just break out through the walls.

The other thing I find weird is the tank of water or goo or whatever it is that Jimmy must float in every 12 hours.  Why?  To restore his cells?  Why can't they just inject him with something?  Is it water?  His eyes are open and he is conscious and yet we don't see any bubbles of air.  Is there oxygen in the goo or something? He goes in naked and then wakes up fully clothed lying on top of his bed in his apartment with no covers.  How?  Who takes him out of the goo and who dresses him?  Seems to me the only point of this water tank is to make the actor get constantly naked.  It's just weird.

If I had one complaint it's that it seems like such a trope that he doesn't tell his family who he is.  I get that this is his second chance to treat his family better, but how is he going to keep explaining why he keeps inserting himself into their lives?  And why wouldn't either his son or his daughter recognise him?    I know that Duvall suspects him to be an illegitimate secret child of his dad's, which seems to suggest that he recognises some similarities in looks to his dad and himself.  But why wouldn't he recognise him outright?  Has he never seen photos of his father when he was in his 30s?  The process is supposed to have youthened Jimmy, so I imagine this is how he looked when he actually was in his 30s.

I wish he would tell them who he is.  He can still get his second chance at building a better relationship with them, and this way they would actually appreciate it.

• Love 1

Okay, I loved this show. It's a combo of many of my favs: Arrow, Flash, Supernatural, White Collar (Ha ha to that one). The beginning was a little rough, but at the end I was clicking on my remote to get to the next episode, I totally wanted to watch another one, and keep watching. Then it sunk in I had to wait a whole week. *sigh* I'm in for the duration, this is the first time I've watched a pilot and didn't want it to end, or had to think whether I'll watch the next ep or turn on PBS instead.

Yeah, there's some crazy happenings, but other shows that are suppose to be realistic are packed with stuff that's so far fetched it could never happen. I'm in for the brainless thrill ride here, no questions asked.

I did get a huge kick out of Tim DeKay being an FBI agent. I guess after Neal Caffrey left New York, there was no reason for Burke to stay around, so he transferred to ... Seattle? I thought I saw the Space Needle.

• Love 1

Sad, ratings were not good.  http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/14/tv-ratings-wednesday-jan-13-2016/

I hope the network has faith in the show, but I'm not going to get too attached to this one.  I'll watch until it gets cancelled.  I read they already reduced the order from the original number of episodes (13?) to 11, so that was already not a good sign to begin with.

Would be ironic if it ended the same way as "Now and Again".  It makes its way all the way to episode 11, then in the season finale he tells his family who he is, then cancellation and it's once again "make up your own ending". :(

Point of order: if they have a process that can raise someone from the dead and restore his youth after he's been thrown off a bridge and his skull split open, is Mary dying from history's most gentle case of terminal cancer really all that bad? Why can't they just bring her back to life and dip her in the goo every 12 hours?

Plot convenience.

At least on Now and Again, Eric Close/ Michael was expected to be superhumanly strong and everything else.  It seemed unusual that the twins, with all of their technical support, wouldn't think about the possibility of their subject being super strong after the transfer/de-aging.  When Jimmy woke up and got angry, then started choking Mary, a) the panic button needed to happen sooner, and b) it was lucky the twins had 12x the amount of sedative around to pump into  their test subject. I guess we are to believe that Otto would be super-contingency dude and  have the first dose loaded but have the next dozen measured and ready to go as well?

Now and Again was better thought out, I remember someone making the comparison a while back.

• Love 1

Why can't they just bring her back to life and dip her in the goo every 12 hours?

I bet that the in-show reason is that Mary would be brought back with the same cancer-causing cell structure and could become ill again. With Jimmy's non-cancerous transfusions, Mary is rewriting her genetic code, which is something bone marrow donors are accomplishing right now, in the present.

(The above is mostly a mishmash of news articles, police procedurals, and medical procedurals, so I may be off some. Not that Free is wrong. *g*)

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

I bet that the in-show reason is that Mary would be brought back with the same cancer-causing cell structure and could become ill again. With Jimmy's non-cancerous transfusions, Mary is rewriting her genetic code, which is something bone marrow donors are accomplishing right now, in the present.

(The above is mostly a mishmash of news articles, police procedurals, and medical procedurals, so I may be off some. Not that Free is wrong. *g*)

It's fine, I'm just basing it on the pilot so far that Now and Again seemed to have a better grasp as the concept and the mechanics of its premise.

• Love 1

http://previously.tv/second-chance/should-you-give-second-chance-a-chance/

What's Its Pedigree?

Second Chance's creator is Rand Ravich, who also created Life,

I loved this pilot and loved Life too. So it will get canceled, right? To be fair to the future cancelers, this review does point out a lot of flaws with the plot devices--and yet there are more. Like: Is he a womanizer or not? I guess he's a womanizer with a heart of gold? But Tim DeKay is so comfortable in that role (no surprise). And the lead guy in his too--but did they have to give him super strength? So cartoony.

About Mary's healthy looks: As someone who was just shocked to learn that I have possibly terminal cancer, I can almost buy it. But not really. Couldn't they at least put dark circles under her eyes?

I was pleasantly surprised. It engaged me, wrapped things up in a way that pilots don't normally do, brought a lot of favorite actors back to TV (where did the girl assistant come from? I know that assistant!)

She played Sugar on Glee. 

• Love 1

But why wouldn't he recognise him outright?  Has he never seen photos of his father when he was in his 30s?  The process is supposed to have youthened Jimmy, so I imagine this is how he looked when he actually was in his 30s.

Yeah, if I met a younger version of either of my parents, I would know exactly who they were.  It would freak me out, but I would recognize them. 

I'm not sure about this show yet.   I'm afraid it's going to be one of those that I like at first, but then it gets unbearably stupid. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 3

I recognize the actor who plays Otto as David Spade's long-suffering assistant Timmy on "Rules of Engagement"

Thank you! It was driving me crazy.

Well, the someone looks like Rob Kazinsky and had a bankroll that could choke a horse, so I'll give her a pass. (Hell, we'd hit the 10 minute mark on the cab ride to my place even if I still thought he was a barefoot vagrant.)

ITA. ;-)

I'm in.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

I'm afraid it's going to be one of those that I like at first, but then it gets unbearably stupid. 

I'm afraid it ventured into stupid territory in the pilot.  I also fear that Jimmy is going to be a total dickhead, with his attitudes and behaviour rewinding 40 years when his body does.

But there is SFA on the box these days, so I'll watch a while longer, until I can't stand it any more...

I was pleasantly surprised. It engaged me, wrapped things up in a way that pilots don't normally do, brought a lot of favorite actors back to TV (where did the girl assistant come from? I know that assistant!)

She played Sugar on Glee.

Turns out she was in that gymnastics movie with the girl from Reaper who married Chuck.

Waiting to see how next week goes. I have a gift for enjoying doomed shows.

• Love 2

Sad, ratings were not good.  http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/14/tv-ratings-wednesday-jan-13-2016/

I hope the network has faith in the show, but I'm not going to get too attached to this one.  I'll watch until it gets cancelled.  I read they already reduced the order from the original number of episodes (13?) to 11, so that was already not a good sign to begin with.

Would be ironic if it ended the same way as "Now and Again".  It makes its way all the way to episode 11, then in the season finale he tells his family who he is, then cancellation and it's once again "make up your own ending". :(

Better than Forever where it ends when he is about to tell his love interest who he is on the season finale and then is cancelled.

I really liked it and thought it was better than most pilots.  It got to the point and not a lot of exposition. 

I liked the lead and no one was annoying. 

But, his son not recognizing him was along the same lines, but not as bad, as people not recognizing Clark is Superman.

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 1

Dilshad Vadsaria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I care not that her characterization is more wooden than my discarded Christmas tree.  If she is on a show, I am watching.  There's certainly hope that her character will have some writing which will allow it to resemble an actual human being.  

The entire issue of the young previously dead dude's health quirks will make it exceedingly difficult for me to buy in.  They can pretty much conjure up any fantastical biology for him.  I can watch the pretty and I do appreciate the slight attempts at wry Bondian humor, though.

The ho is preggers, right?  This will give us a whole new "donor" specimen we will be made to care about.  Maybe the baby will grow at like five times the rate of a normal baby?  Here again, its biology will be an opening the writing hacks can steer the Queen Mary through.  At will.  Maybe she'll be a cheerleader who can instantly regenerate from any injury?!!!

The corruption at the FBI?  Another setup where we will have to buy any plot changes/devices whatsoever.  Ugh.

Did I mention Dilshad Vadsaria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I did like that this is near future but without belaboring that. They don't slam you on the head with the fact that not just the tech used to restore him, but even the everyday computer stuff clearly marks this as not 2016.

It's not set in the future. Jimmy was listed as having been born in 1939, and his death was somewhere in 2015. Otto also asks the imaging chamber to recreate his childhood bedroom from 1988... it looked like a toddler's room, which would fit with him being in his late 20's/early 30's.

This seems like another "not long for this world" show, but I love Dilshad Vadsaria (OMG, how much better do you think Quantico would have been with her as the lead?), Rob is hot in that sleazy hockey jock kind of way, and I've always like Ciara Bravo. She sooo needs to play a Final Girl in a horror movie.

I know that Duvall suspects him to be an illegitimate secret child of his dad's, which seems to suggest that he recognises some similarities in looks to his dad and himself.  But why wouldn't he recognise him outright?  Has he never seen photos of his father when he was in his 30s?  The process is supposed to have youthened Jimmy, so I imagine this is how he looked when he actually was in his 30s.

I'm really confused on this, because I checked the montage that showed Jimmy's life, and it doesn't look like they actually used Rob Kazinsky in any of the shots. It makes me wonder if that was on-purpose- like that the new Jimmy doesn't actually look exactly like his self from age 35.

Edited by methodwriter85

Rob is hot in that sleazy hockey jock kind of way, and I've always like Ciara Bravo.

On a shallow note, I like the shots of him in the goo, because he looks like a guy who's got a "working man's" body -- his physique comes more from hard work than the gym. If he works out, he isn't fanatical about it.

Ciara Bravo -- wasn't she the little sister from the Nick show "Big Time Rush"? I always liked her in that show.

I checked the montage that showed Jimmy's life, and it doesn't look like they actually used Rob Kazinsky in any of the shots. It makes me wonder if that was on-purpose- like that the new Jimmy doesn't actually look exactly like his self from age 35.

I watched the montage closely too and noticed the same thing. Maybe it's that Jimmy isn't the exact duplicate of his younger self. After all, the super strength and apparent heightened senses are new.

One thing that bugged me is younger Jimmy never looked in the mirror. I understand they removed the mirrors from the re-creation of his apartment, but in the bar, he didn't look in the mirror when he rolled the drug dealer. If I were suddenly 40 years younger and a stud again , I'd be checking myself out all the time.

Edited by SmithW6079

he didn't look in the mirror when he rolled the drug dealer.

I thought he did; after putting on the dealer's suit, he fixed the tie once more in the mirror, looked over to the dealer who asked Jimmy what kind of law he was and Jimmy smugged, "I'm the sheriff, son." 

It's seems weird because he isn't staring and getting used to his new self. I am betting Jimmy, after hitting 75, just is happy he's handsome and alive. He's not going to sweat the deets.

• Love 1

I thought he did; after putting on the dealer's suit, he fixed the tie once more in the mirror, looked over to the dealer who asked Jimmy what kind of law he was and Jimmy smugged, "I'm the sheriff, son."

It seems weird because he isn't staring and getting used to his new self. I am betting Jimmy, after hitting 75, just is happy he's handsome and alive. He's not going to sweat the deets.

He might have, but checking to see if your tie is straight is not the same as checking out your naked new body. That's what I meant.
  • Love 2

I'm really confused on this, because I checked the montage that showed Jimmy's life, and it doesn't look like they actually used Rob Kazinsky in any of the shots. It makes me wonder if that was on-purpose- like that the new Jimmy doesn't actually look exactly like his self from age 35.

I have to finish watching the pilot, and I will probably go back and watch the first part of it. (I had to stop and do something just after Duval's partner pointed a gun at him.) 

However, I was under the impression that Ray's brain was transplanted into the body of a random 30-something-year-old man--or someone that the twins had created--not necessarily a younger version of himself.

ETA: According to Wikipedia's entry on the show

...Pritchard is brought back to life in the improved body of a younger man...

(emphasis added)

I don't know which source was used for that information, but if it's correct, it supports my theory. Also, if Pritchard was brought into his younger self, I think they would have made a bigger deal of mentioning it, used it as a plot point, etc.

Edited by C76
  • Love 1
However, I was under the impression that Ray's brain was transplanted into the body of a random 30-something-year-old man--or someone that the twins had created--not necessarily a younger version of himself.

Whoa. I did not get that at all. Since a lot of us seem to be in the same misguided boat, it seems like the show did a piss poor job of explaining the main plot point.

• Love 3

It's Pritchard's body -- there's dialogue to the effect that Otto stole the old man's corpse because of the genetic anamoly he has, which is supposed to help Mary. They didn't choose Pritchard because of who he was. It came as a surprise to them that he came with his own agenda.

• Love 2

It's not set in the future. Jimmy was listed as having been born in 1939, and his death was somewhere in 2015. Otto also asks the imaging chamber to recreate his childhood bedroom from 1988... it looked like a toddler's room, which would fit with him being in his late 20's/early 30's.

Given that we don't actually have working image chambers or floating holographic computer viewscreens, if this is supposed to be 2016, they're clearly taking liberties.

This seems like another "not long for this world" show

It does have that aura around it already of a show that doesn't have even a remote chance of succeeding (and frankly probably doesn't deserve to). It's fluff sci-fi, not the real thing, as well as action-drama-light and really contrived drama, and I'm sensing there will probably also be an occasional dash of corny humor (based on the guy being an old horn-dog slightly out of sync with the rest of society). A potpourri where nothing really seems done right. Then again I suppose the show could markedly improve after that Pilot. We shall see. It happened with CBS' Limitless (although that Pilot was flawed too, it was still better than this, though).

It's Pritchard's body -- there's dialogue to the effect that Otto stole the old man's corpse because of the genetic anamoly he has, which is supposed to help Mary. They didn't choose Pritchard because of who he was. It came as a surprise to them that he came with his own agenda.

Also they make it clear that the son recognizes Pritchard as probably somehow related to himself.

He doesn't. They explained this by inference, but did a shit job of it. He's the idealized version of himself. The presumption is he's more in shape, possibly better looking, taller, definitely better muscled, etc. Looking enough like his old self to seem familiar to his son, but not exactly.