Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
JaneDigby

Author Antics

45 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

I know of one case: in 2001 the estate of Margaret Mitchell sued the author (Alice Randall) and publisher (Houghton Mifflin) of a book called "The Wind Done Gone," which was a retelling of "Gone with the Wind" from the perspective of an enslaved woman on the Tara estate who was the daughter of Mr. O'Hara and Mammy (and was Scarlett's half-sister).

Interesting. Though that might not be veiled quite enough. Maybe Randall should have taken it a step or two further in changing things.

Yeah, I'm really curious about how the lawsuit affected the final content of Randall's book. I wonder if she changed the proper names of people and places to create more distance, or if she thought, "screw it, they can't sue me twice" and doubled down on the similarities. Copyright is very confusing.

Speaking of this, I used to know someone who was writing her PhD thesis on "Jane Eyre" fan fiction (yes, really), and I was surprised to learn that many people consider Daphne du Maurier's novel "Rebecca" to be a "Jane Eyre" retelling (or derivative work, or whatever similar term). But the more I thought about it, the more parallels I see. Interesting. And BTW, a new film version of "Rebecca" is coming out next month on Netflix, starring Lily James and Armie Hammer, and Kristen Scott Thomas as the creepy Mrs. Danvers. I'll definitely watch it, but my initial reaction was that Hammer is too young to play Mr. De Winter.

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Like 2

I'm not sure this falls under 'author antics' but a few years back Shirley Jones wrote her autobio and claimed that her then-husband Jack Cassidy as well as Anthony Newley and his then-wife Joan Collins had some kind of multi-bond.  While both Mr. Cassidy and Mr. Newley had long since died, Miss Collins was still very much alive and furious over this particular claim. Miss Collins counterclaimed that said bond did NOT happen and SUED Miss Jones.  The court  appeared to have agreed with Miss Collins having a better claim than had Miss Jones and ordered Miss Jones's publisher to remove that particular claim from future printings of her autobio. One has to wonder if either Mr. Cassidy or Mr. Newley would have backed their former wives had they been living OR whether one or both would have attempted to abstain from the whole kerfluffle. 

• Surprise 2

On 9/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, Anduin said:

I don't know of any cases where authors or their estates have taken people to court over thinly veiled knockoffs. The Tolkien Estate didn't get into Robert Jordan, and Lucasfilm left Christopher Paolini alone. Maybe it's a case of if you change just enough, you can get away with it. 

George Lucas and Fox did sue Universal over Battlestar Galactica. 

• Useful 1

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm not sure this falls under 'author antics' but a few years back Shirley Jones wrote her autobio and claimed that her then-husband Jack Cassidy as well as Anthony Newley and his then-wife Joan Collins had some kind of multi-bond.  While both Mr. Cassidy and Mr. Newley had long since died, Miss Collins was still very much alive and furious over this particular claim. Miss Collins counterclaimed that said bond did NOT happen and SUED Miss Jones.  The court  appeared to have agreed with Miss Collins having a better claim than had Miss Jones and ordered Miss Jones's publisher to remove that particular claim from future printings of her autobio. One has to wonder if either Mr. Cassidy or Mr. Newley would have backed their former wives had they been living OR whether one or both would have attempted to abstain from the whole kerfluffle. 

Autobiographies pretty much are memoirs, and the rules about what is permissible and what is not in that genre are always shifting.  Because memoirs are allowed to contain false information, it's in the definition.  That is not to say that the publisher did not have fact checkers go through the narrative to try to make sure some of the claims are true, or that names and other details are obscured to help protect the identities.  Publishers all do that, but some things will slip through the cracks and all the author has to do is say "well that is how I remembered it" with a shrug.  

• Useful 1

8 hours ago, Blergh said:

There was no lawsuit or court ruling involved. Joan Collins sent a cease and desist before the book was officially released. Within a day the publisher agreed to change it in the ebook and future printings. 

Personally I though Collins overreacted and brought more attention to the story. The original story published was that Newley was clearly suggesting a foursome but Jones said no. 

I thought there was a lawsuit and court ruling. Sorry, my bad. Still, it looks as thought Alexis won that round against Mrs. Partridge. 

14 hours ago, Dani said:

George Lucas and Fox did sue Universal over Battlestar Galactica. 

Really? Well, you can't win 'em all. But my general gist is that even if you love something, you shouldn't fly too close to the sun. Of course, I rarely take my own advice. Ignore me.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, Blergh said:

So via Miss Rice's blackballing of Miss Trout, the whole enterprise collapsed. What a bummer!

I think Jenny ended up releasing her novella on her own.  The other authors may have done the same.

• Useful 1

I haven’t read anything by Anne Rice ever since her crazy rant on Amazon blasting bad reviews. Of course her current books doesn’t sound like they have the spark of her earlier works so I’m probably not missing much.

Now hearing what she did to Jenny doesn’t surprise me one little bit.

• Like 2