Type keyword(s) to search

Mad About You - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thank you for recapping that. I think it sounds like it calls back to the former series finale, in which they separate for a while. And Jamie tells Fran that Paul said she was unkind. It's a very real kind of conversation. 

Speaking of Fran, is anything else ever said about her during the course of the season? I am so waiting for a way that I'll be able to actually watch this season. Surely it'll be released on Hulu or something eventually? 

On 12/18/2019 at 3:07 PM, madfortv said:

The main disappointment for me is that the character of Mabel is entitled, selfish and opinionated.  She is being written more like a thoughtless, self-centered 12 year old than a young woman of college age, yet sometimes in appearance the actress shows her real age which is about 5 years older than Mabel.  She is a cliche character; one who makes me wonder if the writers have experience with young people around the age of Mabel's character. This is not about the actress' acting. It is about the writing!

THANK YOU!! I cannot believe how entitled and how much hand holding Jamie and Paul do for Mabel.  My god she is in college and the way she treats her parents and her parents money (college tuition).

I loved Ira and Luciana.  Mark and his new wife who also was Jamie's colleague. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

THANK YOU!! I cannot believe how entitled and how much hand holding Jamie and Paul do for Mabel.  My god she is in college and the way she treats her parents and her parents money (college tuition).

I loved Ira and Luciana.  Mark and his new wife who also was Jamie's colleague. 

I don't get where they thought this would be funny or "reflection of today's generation". They are completely ignoring who's child she is. I'm sorry, I don't see how Mabel would be her way if Jamie and Paul are her parents. Hell, her grandparents were nothing like that either. 

• Love 1
On 2/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, luna1122 said:

Thank you for recapping that. I think it sounds like it calls back to the former series finale, in which they separate for a while. And Jamie tells Fran that Paul said she was unkind. It's a very real kind of conversation. 

Speaking of Fran, is anything else ever said about her during the course of the season? I am so waiting for a way that I'll be able to actually watch this season. Surely it'll be released on Hulu or something eventually? 

I will admit that I stopped watching the show before the end of the original run, so did not know that about the finale. Interesting. I am watching some of the reruns now, but tend to watch the earlier seasons as I think they were funnier.

I am in Canada so a Canadian network has been showing the reboot, but just two episodes a week. Otherwise I would not have been able to see it either. I don't remember if Fran was brought up or not, since I have been watching the season spread out over several weeks. 

Regarding what others have brought up about Mabel - I have never bought that this is Paul and Jamie's kid. She looks nothing like either of them (not that that can't happen, but since the show could cast pretty much anyone, why not make her believable?). I didn't like Mabel from the start, but really disliked her in the episode where she was happy for her classmates to think Paul was some misogynistic jerk, rather than her loving and supportive father. There are no words to accurately describe how little use I have for Mabel. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed the whole show and looked forward to watching every episode.

That being said, Mabel is the absolute worst.

And I hate hate hate hate hate when sitcoms do that thing where the family is about to get bajillions of dollars, but because of some stupid mistake, they don't.  That's an old cliche and I can't believe writers are still stooping to that in 2019/2020.  This episode was taken from "Fresh Prince".

I always thought that Anne Ramsay (Lisa) was so damn beautiful and she looks the exact same.  Good for her.  I don't care about people aging obviously but I have a pet peeve about how so many actors think they need to get work done.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I've been rewatching. I really don't know whether to watch the revival season or not. It's gotten mixed reviews.

I'm on season 3 which I think is much better than the other two. It has the Giblets for Murray, and the ep where're they're trying to film themselves and Lisa breezes in while the camera is rolling. Jamie tries to act like a tough. The whole ep is good. 

• Love 1

I wasn't finished with my re-watch last year, before the old series disappeared from my on-demand. We keep talking about getting rid of cable. 

On 9/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, cleo said:

I've been rewatching. I really don't know whether to watch the revival season or not. It's gotten mixed reviews.

I'm on season 3 which I think is much better than the other two. It has the Giblets for Murray, and the ep where're they're trying to film themselves and Lisa breezes in while the camera is rolling. Jamie tries to act like a tough. The whole ep is good. 

That episode is one of my favourites. 🙂 

• Love 1

There was a reboot of this show? When and where did that air? 

I can never find this streaming anywhere, I'm so interested to rewatch this as an adult. This was on when I was around middle school age, so it wasn't terribly relatable (but I still liked it). I suspect that I'd relate to it much more now that I'm older than they were supposed to be on the show.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2020 at 9:44 PM, ljenkins782 said:

There was a reboot of this show? When and where did that air? 

I can never find this streaming anywhere, I'm so interested to rewatch this as an adult. This was on when I was around middle school age, so it wasn't terribly relatable (but I still liked it). I suspect that I'd relate to it much more now that I'm older than they were supposed to be on the show.

It started when I was sixteen, I think, and I loved it. 🙂

Spectrum Cable has the reboot. We finally got rid of ours, a week ago, so I can't watch it again, unless I find an alternative. 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:28 PM, Anela said:

It started when I was sixteen, I think, and I loved it. 🙂

Spectrum Cable has the reboot. We finally got rid of ours, a week ago, so I can't watch it again, unless I find an alternative. 

The universe heard me and added both the original Mad About You (all seasons) and the reboot to Amazon Prime. I've been lost in the 90s for a week now and loving it. I only JUST noticed that the reboot is there as well, so I'll dive into that soon.

I'm so glad they ditched Selby and brought in cousin Ira. Selby was irritating and didn't bring anything to the table, where Ira had quite a few really interesting and genuinely sweet storylines. I just watched the one where they go to AC with his long-estranged ex-wife (played by Cyndi Lauper) and it's a really complex and interesting episode for him. I also love the intertwining relationships between Paul/Ira and their respective parents, like how they each love each other's moms but think their own moms are insane. 

I also like the flightier Lisa, which seems like it took at least half the first season to really flesh out. Once she really embraced the crazy flakiness of the character, it was super entertaining. I also didn't remember Mark and Fran splitting up THAT early, I thought that was like a season 4 or after development.

I'm enjoying the plots that wouldn't work now, like Paul and Jamie getting separated on the subway and each using pay phones to call their new, overcomplicated answering machine to try to find each other. Or little details like using the newspaper to look up movie times, or call waiting being a new feature.

The most troubling part so far has been the fashion. Good lord, there were some ugly trends in the 90s. I was in HS and not particularly trendy anyway, but I do remember the college girl look of baggy overalls and such. What I did not notice was adult women wearing hideously baggy pants as well. Like a business suit with blouse and jacket on top, but hugely baggy pants on the bottom, was that a thing? Not a great look and Jamie seems to wear a lot of these. 

• Love 5

What I notice with Jamie and Paul is how bland they are dressed in almost every episode. Almost the same outfit again and again, and usually neutral colours. It's kind of irritating.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2

Mad About You, all seasons and the new season are now on Amazon Prime. For some reason they look more clearer (old seasons) than they looked on Starz (or maybe it was Showtime) and so much better than they looked on Spectrum on demand. 

I have a vague recollection of a Helen Hunt backlash when this show was airing, but I can't recall what it was about. I haven't gotten to the end yet because the cheating/divorce stuff just depresses me, but I really enjoy Jamie's character in the earlier seasons. I wonder if the character changed toward the end or if there was some real life drama around Helen Hunt. Or my memory is faulty and none of that ever happened, lol.

She just has some really funny moments and line deliveries. My current favorite episode is the one where they go on a non-transferrable vacation that Paul's parents were supposed to take and they just lie their asses off to everyone they meet. At one point, Jamie goes "I really should be HEAD rodeo clown, but it's just a big boy's club" with such a deadpan delivery that I have to rewind it again and again. 

• Love 4

I like that episode, too :D. Especially the stuff with Jamie claiming Paul's nuts and he's got no clue she's saying that, and everything he does looks weird to everyone else as a result :p. 

I have no memory of any sort of backlash, but I was a kid when this show was originally airing, so if there was any, I probably wasn't paying any attention. But yeah, I like her, too. She was funny on this show, and it was fun to see her in Twister (and I like that the show made a little joke about that at one point). 

I very clearly remember all the drama with the cheating stuff, though. I even remember seeing an ad in TV Guide about that whole storyline, with pictures of Paul and Jamie's faces and they looked all solemn and whatnot. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I very clearly remember all the drama with the cheating stuff, though. I even remember seeing an ad in TV Guide about that whole storyline, with pictures of Paul and Jamie's faces and they looked all solemn and whatnot. 

I remember reading a review of that season (it might have been TV Guide) and the cheating storyline got a lot of praise.  I thought it was very well written and acted and was totally realistic. Sometimes couples just grow apart.  Jamie and Paul were both busy with their careers, the baby thing wasn't happening and the marriage wasn't working.  But of course with this being a TV show they get back together and have a baby.  But they did have them in couples therapy so they didn't totally wave the problems away.  

I've been watching the reboot season on Amazon and after a few episodes it has started to feel like the old show.  Take out Mabel and it would be all good.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I've been watching the reboot season on Amazon and after a few episodes it has started to feel like the old show.  Take out Mabel and it would be all good.

Isn't so telling that considering they had so much they could have taken their daughter, they turned her into a self absorbed oblivious person and it's: "Huh?"

3 minutes ago, readster said:

Isn't so telling that considering they had so much they could have taken their daughter, they turned her into a self absorbed oblivious person and it's: "Huh?"

In the original finale Janeanne Garofalo did the voiceover for Mabel.  They should have kept the personality of that Mabel when writing the reboot.  They actually probably should have kept everything from the finale.  Ira could be married to Marianne and if they couldn't get Cyndi Lauper that's ok they could still mention her.  I have a hard time believing Jamie didn't work for so many years. I know they probably made her a therapist so they could get comedy from her patients but I would have preferred to see her back in PR or politics.  It kinda makes me sad Paul is still basically doing the same thing he did 20 years ago.  Lisa is still Lisa. Mark is still Mark and I bet if not for the unavailability of Leila Kenzle he would still be married to Fran.  Haven't seen Paul's mother yet.  All I'm saying is this reboot could have been better.

• Love 1
On 2/12/2020 at 1:06 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

The final two episodes aired last night on the network where I am able to see the reboot. I thoroughly enjoyed the reboot and hope that another season follows. The best part of another season would (hopefully) be no Mabel. I did not like the character or the actress playing her. Loved the rest of the cast - the oldies and the newbies. 

I found the fight between Jamie and Paul at the end of the "Anderson Cooper and Other Fantasies" episode to be riveting. Helen Hunt's reaction to Paul's rant was heart breaking, as was Reiser's acting when Paul realizes that maybe he went too far. I found that scene to be very moving. 

I finally watched the reboot and holy shit, that was an unexpected bit of absolutely fantastic, realistic dialogue. Jamie WAS being irritating and superior, but Paul's words were so gently devastating that I ended up feeling bad for her, while not disagreeing with him. The matter of fact tone was somehow so much more hurtful than any screaming match. But again, she casually goaded him into that moment and certainly shared plenty of negative feedback with him.

I'm not sure what the point of the therapist was, were we supposed to believe any therapist would turn a paying couple away after one visit and assure them their marriage is dead, when they already have 25 years of marriage under their belt? Stupid

• Love 1

Helen Hunt's pants only look baggy because of the weird contemporary obsession with skin-tight jeans. At the time, her pants were just...normal. I agree about the drab colors, though.

The reason people turned against Hunt was the infidelity plot - apparently she even had people on the street telling her off for mistreating her nice husband.

• Love 2

The part I hate about the "infidelity" plotline is that the focus-not just from fans but from the show as well -is how terrible Jaime is for not instantly stopping Doug Burkas. He kissed her and I saw surprise slowing her and a very quick moment of temptation. Paul PRIOR to that almost went home with another woman, after clearly thinking about it for a while. He asked her to walk with him, then asked to go home with her. He didn't, but I think what he did is far, far worse. But the show even points out how Paul is let off the hook, in one quick line, while everyone blames Jaime. The previouslies even kept playing the (not exactly true) line, " I kissed Doug Burkas."  It drives me crazy and I feel Paul would have been the one given no blame no matter what, but I feel it's an example of a double standard between men and women.

• Love 5
On 4/3/2014 at 7:09 PM, Rinaldo said:

I just saw "Giblets for Murray" (the Thanksgiving episode) for the first time in decades. And good grief, it's even funnier than I remembered. The moment when Jamie tosses the turkey out the window -- even though I knew it was coming, I could hardly breathe I was laughing so hard. And yes, John Pankow's reaction is icing on the cake. Great, great stuff.

The entire series is now on Amazon Prime(finally!) so Giblets for Murray was the first one I watched.  I was just looking for anything featuring sweet Murray. I forgot the name but I also watched the one where Jamie's sister takes Mur for a walk and brings back the wrong dog.  What other Murray eps are there?
btw- the newest "season" is also on Amazon. Not crazy about grown up Mabel. I thought they could have cast an actress who at least looks a bit like the either Jamie or Paul.  

• Love 2
On 1/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, wendyg said:

Helen Hunt's pants only look baggy because of the weird contemporary obsession with skin-tight jeans. At the time, her pants were just...normal. I agree about the drab colors, though.

The reason people turned against Hunt was the infidelity plot - apparently she even had people on the street telling her off for mistreating her nice husband.

Today's pants are ridiculously skin-tight, but those pants were definitely baggy. The late 90s were the best time for pants, IMO, with the widespread introduction of the bootcut pant, which I still believe is the most flattering cut of pants. The balloon-y hipped, often pleated pants of the early 90s were not a good silhouette, especially on short people like Helen Hunt.

The colour of old bras.

That's a perfect descriptor of those colors.

There was one where Murray became an actor, season 3 maybe?

LOL, that was a good one. I loved the descriptions of Murray throughout the seasons, especially the one where Lisa loses him. The vacant eyes, "he leaves here stupid, but he comes back depressed", etc. 

• Love 2
On 1/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, wendyg said:

I like the looser trousers. I have some that I wear around the house (light fabric). 

On 1/18/2021 at 8:25 PM, Ailianna said:

The part I hate about the "infidelity" plotline is that the focus-not just from fans but from the show as well -is how terrible Jaime is for not instantly stopping Doug Burkas. He kissed her and I saw surprise slowing her and a very quick moment of temptation. Paul PRIOR to that almost went home with another woman, after clearly thinking about it for a while. He asked her to walk with him, then asked to go home with her. He didn't, but I think what he did is far, far worse. But the show even points out how Paul is let off the hook, in one quick line, while everyone blames Jaime. The previouslies even kept playing the (not exactly true) line, " I kissed Doug Burkas."  It drives me crazy and I feel Paul would have been the one given no blame no matter what, but I feel it's an example of a double standard between men and women.

I agree. 

• Love 1
On 1/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, Valny said:

btw- the newest "season" is also on Amazon. Not crazy about grown up Mabel. I thought they could have cast an actress who at least looks a bit like the either Jamie or Paul.  

I watched the new season on Prime, and I honestly believe they had absolutely no idea what to do with the character, and should have written her off the show at the beginning, rather than the end, of the season.  I really hated that Paul and Jamie were such doormats with her. 

• Love 2

The temptation was probaby to use Mabel to give the show a new, more modern face - which *did* work on MURPHY BROWN with grown-up Avery because the actor and Candice Bergen had such great chemistry. But I always thought *ever* showing Mabel was MAY's big mistake. The show was a close-up look at a marriage, and was at its best when it was tightly focused on Paul and Jamie. The two of them having to rediscover each other after years of parenting with their child far away should have been right in the show's wheelhouse.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, wendyg said:

The temptation was probaby to use Mabel to give the show a new, more modern face - which *did* work on MURPHY BROWN with grown-up Avery because the actor and Candice Bergen had such great chemistry. But I always thought *ever* showing Mabel was MAY's big mistake. The show was a close-up look at a marriage, and was at its best when it was tightly focused on Paul and Jamie. The two of them having to rediscover each other after years of parenting with their child far away should have been right in the show's wheelhouse.

I agree with that but I think they thought fans would wonder and probably criticize a decision to not show Mabel. 

Having seen them use Mabel I can say I wish they hadn't but if they hadn't shown her I probably would have said they should have.

• Love 1

I watched all 12 episodes of the new show and overall enjoyed the reboot.  While I didn't like some of the episodes there was enough good stuff to keep me watching.  Several episodes were satisfying and fun.  From reading here, it seems like many have not seen the new episodes so I won't give out detailed spoilers. 

The main disappointment for me is that the character of Mabel is entitled, selfish and opinionated.  She is being written more like a thoughtless, self-centered 12 year old than a young woman of college age, yet sometimes in appearance the actress shows her real age which is about 5 years older than Mabel.  She is a cliche character; one who makes me wonder if the writers have experience with young people around the age of Mabel's character. This is not about the actress' acting. It is about the writing!

I just binged the reboot and then came here to see if I was the only one who disliked Mabel. What a whiny biotch. I'm sorry, I have two kids and if either one of them announced that they had been kicked out of college but they didn't want to discuss it, that would have been a no-go in our household. They really should have softened the character a little.  I mean, I know we are not supposed to suggest people (women) smile, but that character looked continuously pissed off, or disconnected from her parents. No love flowing from her to them, just take, take, take.

And all the other characters fawning over her as if she was the sweetest thing in their lives!  I saw not one shred of evidence given by the character as to why they would feel that way about her. UGH!  She really ruined the show for me.

Otherwise, I was glad to see the characters again, and would watch more. Glad Mabel is off on a boat in the ocean.  Maybe they should leave her there. Permanently.

• Love 2

The gynecology stuff with this show is weird. First of all, Jamie having Mark as her gynecologist is just weird. He is her husband's friend. 

Then Jamie is pregnant and everyone wants her to see Paul's sister's partner. Again someone in her family essentially. Weird.

Not to mention it is unprofessional of both doctors to go along with it- I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to have personal relationships with patients, even if it is a platonic relationship. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, Kohola3 said:

Just saw a close up of Helen Hunt in a commercial. Zounds, what the heck has she done to her face?  I realize that it's tough in Hollywood for older actors but I was staring in horror.  That is some really bad work!  I have a feeling I'll be focusing more on her face that the story in the reboot.

That is exactly what is happening for me and I've seen three episodes so far. The horrendous work on her face is not so obvious when she wears her eye glasses as they sort of hide the bad work done on her eyes, especially her right eye.

Edited by luvthepros
On 12/7/2019 at 6:30 AM, Queena said:

It feels like home. That's all I'm saying. 

I just started. I don't know why I have warm feelings for Paul... But I do. 

Mr. Wickman is still living! 

Mark and Fran divorced after their nest got empty. 

A show about nothing feels kind of a good in a world filled with... Something... Things... This show just feels like my early adulthood. 

BTW I can't be the only Black person who loved this show. Everyone loves Frasier (you wouldn't believe the love that Kelsey Grammar gets from the Black community. Most from a show called Girlfriends) but I have yet to find a MAY fan. 

Mark's new wife is a therapist.... 

Just saw episode 12 and realize the actress playing Mark's new wife is a Broadway performer. If you haven't seen the show yet, you are in for a treat.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Just saw episode 12 and realize the actress playing Mark's new wife is a Broadway performer. If you haven't seen the show yet, you are in for a treat.

Which show did she star in on Broadway? 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:37 PM, cleo said:

The gynecology stuff with this show is weird. First of all, Jamie having Mark as her gynecologist is just weird. He is her husband's friend. 

Then Jamie is pregnant and everyone wants her to see Paul's sister's partner. Again someone in her family essentially. Weird.

We were just having a similar discussion, as we are moving and need new doctors. The wife of husband’s colleague is a nurse practitioner and we will be moving to her practice to see her partner.  Even though we haven’t met the wife yet, just the professional relationship between our husbands was enough for her to pass us along.  We are more than fine with it!

Sorry; I wrote it too quickly.  We will never see her professionally, only one of her partners.  Her comment was that she did not want to do a colonoscopy on someone she might find sitting in their backyard drinking a beer with her husband one evening after work.

• Love 1

Ah yeah got it. Yep makes sense!

I'm on season 6 now with the baby. Not the best. And I just can't suspend belief that they have a baby and are parents. It's all so unreal and badly done. 

Hate the Mabel crying episode. 

The Jamie has postpartum for one ep but not even really post partum was also dumb.

The non baby parts are good.

I moved close to a college and the baggy pants (flat fronted) on girls is coming back along with higher waists.  

And I can buy Mabel being entitled...because Paul and Jamie would have been so neurotic that they would have hovered over her.  Plus, both had angst with how they were raised so they would have over corrected it with Mabel.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2021 at 12:08 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I moved close to a college and the baggy pants (flat fronted) on girls is coming back along with higher waists.  

Ugh, that is terrible news. I have definitely seen the higher waists, but not the baggy pants.

And I can buy Mabel being entitled...because Paul and Jamie would have been so neurotic that they would have hovered over her.  Plus, both had angst with how they were raised so they would have over corrected it with Mabel.

Yeah, an only child born to NYC parents after a difficult time conceiving, I can buy that she'd end up spoiled/entitled. 

I'm watching the first ep of season 7 and man is it terrible. The plot makes no sense.

Paul takes Viagara and then goes to his mother's? I'm sure that's the time every man would want to say hi to his mom.

Jamie gets locked out of her gym in a towel and rather than just going back to the front entrance of the gym she somehow ends up on top.of the empire state building? In a towel?

This show isn't always good but usually the plot isn't this nonsensical. Like it just makes no sense.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I haven't seen any eps since it's original run. I liked the show at first, in later seasons I felt like Jamie really started to dislike Paul. Sometimes she was openly annoyed at him and other times it was just a vibe I got. 

I also didn't like it when they had baby Mabel. They were one of the few childless married couples on TV at the time and it made them different. The baby was towards the end and probably a last ditch JTS attempt at reviving ratings. 

It is a shame Helen went on to lose so much weight and probably had work done as she was very attractive back then. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 1/5/2021 at 9:44 PM, ljenkins782 said:

She just has some really funny moments and line deliveries. My current favorite episode is the one where they go on a non-transferrable vacation that Paul's parents were supposed to take and they just lie their asses off to everyone they meet. At one point, Jamie goes "I really should be HEAD rodeo clown, but it's just a big boy's club" with such a deadpan delivery that I have to rewind it again and again. 

I just rewatched this episode again, still possibly my favorite episode of the series. This time around, I paid a little more attention to Paul and he has some really lovely moments. Like when Jamie starts speaking French and then lying to the table next door, Paul Reiser just gazes at Helen Hunt with this amused, loving stare, it's very sweet. 

Also, his "what are they kidding?" response to discovering that the hotel has no TV cracks me up. Even though I wouldn't want to sit inside watching TV in paradise either, the idea of not having one at night would really bug me too. And Jamie's "maybe it pops up" while pressing on the wicker furniture is so funny too. They were both so charming in this episode.

I also didn't remember Mark and Fran splitting up THAT early, I thought that was like a season 4 or after development

Also, I've been watching Pluto TV which has a lot of random 90s TV shows and the actor who plays Mark had a co-starring role on Spin City, that explains the sudden split of Fran and Mark! I didn't watch Spin City back then so I never made the connection. 

• Love 1

The main disappointment for me is that the character of Mabel is entitled, selfish and opinionated

Just recently took a month's free trial of Amazon Prime so I could finally watch this reboot and that's one of my main takeaways as well. I can see Mabel being a bit naive about some of the world's workings - she is privileged in where/how she lived growing up and also had caring parents who would naturally want to shield her from bad things. But this girl just comes off as totally unappreciative of everything and everyone, and downright MEAN.