Type keyword(s) to search

Mad About You - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 13/04/2018 at 8:44 PM, AnnaRose said:

I really appreciate that too!  (Another show that does that well is American Housewife, the primary couple are very cute together and laugh at their jokes and goof around with each other in a natural way.)

I stopped by this forum because I had been reading mentions about a Mad About You revival.  (I think it was mentioned a couple times in discussions about Rosanne.)  I loved this show back in the nineties and have watched reruns (and my own recordings of a lot of the episodes) on occasion since then, and it is just so charming and funny.  Paul and Jamie have the best chemistry, and I loved the rest of the cast too.  I hope they all sign on and it is at least as successful (and funny) as the Roseanne reboot. 

I haven't seen Helen Hunt in anything recently, but Paul Reiser was amazing in Red Oaks. (Richard Kind was great in Red Oaks too, by the way.) Paul is so darn talented and has such a unique comedic voice.   I read his first two books back in the day - Couplehood and Babyhood - and they were hilarious as well.  I really hope this revival happens. 

Just saw Helen the other night.  She's had so much work done, she's almost unrecognizable.  I think she's done some directing.  Hope they leave this show alone.  I liked it a lot at the beginning, but dragging these two out would just be a sin.

“The dream is to get to do it,” Hunt told People in last week’s issue. “I’ve been watching Will & Grace and laughing so hard out loud. They’re just crushing it. I have remained very, very close friends with Paul. Reboot or no reboot, we have lunch once a month. We really enjoy and care for each other. It was a very loving piece of work. We loved it. It would be fun to work on something that’s really about love.” Hunt also noted the show will look rather different given the passage of time — she’s now 54, and Reiser is 62. “We’ll be older though,” she added. “I hope people are prepared for that. I’m not prepared for it!”

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 1

I really wanted to see a revival. But as of this past summer it might not happen:

"It’s kind of stuck in the business end of it now," the comic, actor and co-creator of NBC’s Emmy-winning sitcom said by phone Monday. "Sony is trying to figure out from their end; that’s where I just walk away and go, call me when you figure it out. I don’t know what happens at that level. They make their deals with whoever they make their deals with. So we’ll see if it happens. It may not happen. It likely won’t happen. My guess is it won’t happen."

• Love 1

I'll be happier if there isn't a revival. I feel like they did enough of it the first time, and it got a little less appealing for me in later seasons.

I still loved the show, and when the complete DVD set was released for a ridiculously low price, I grabbed it immediately.

• Love 1

I remember the first time I saw Mad About You.  It was a Thanksgiving episode and the two couples were taking the train to CT, going home for the holiday.  The entire episode was the ride on the train going home, and returning to the city.  It was so realistic.  They had all the little noises, squeaks, whatevers, that trains make (it brought back memories of riding the New York Central into Manhattan, and back home, waaaay back in the day).  And of course the conversations about being at home with relatives, and all that that entails.  I was hooked.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 5

I read another article that said we should not take the original finale "literally" -- apparently in the revival, Paul and Jamie are married and sending Mabel off to college.  And the original apartment has been recreated, so I'll be curious to learn how they raised Mabel there!  Maybe they branched out into the British couple's apartment?  And there will be a new dog (RIP Murray, apparently, of course).  But it is on Spectrum, and I just don't see adding another subscription just for one show.  I did that this summer for another show, then cancelled.  Reiser said that they expect the viewers to be those who saw the original series.  Have no link to the article -- it took me a day to find this thread!  

"Giblets for Murray" definitely at the top of my list!  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, freddi said:

I read another article that said we should not take the original finale "literally" -- apparently in the revival, Paul and Jamie are married and sending Mabel off to college.  And the original apartment has been recreated, so I'll be curious to learn how they raised Mabel there!  Maybe they branched out into the British couple's apartment?  And there will be a new dog (RIP Murray, apparently, of course).  But it is on Spectrum, and I just don't see adding another subscription just for one show.  I did that this summer for another show, then cancelled.  Reiser said that they expect the viewers to be those who saw the original series.  Have no link to the article -- it took me a day to find this thread!  

"Giblets for Murray" definitely at the top of my list!  

I'm glad you found us - I enjoyed your post and I'm looking forward to the new episodes.  🙂 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I've just found the whole series on Spectrum on-demand! I love this show so much.

Another one that I miss is Coach. I wonder if that's on cable.

Yes, it is on the channel Antenna every day.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I'm so disappointed it is on a channel I don't receive. I'm not going to subscribe for one show. Boo to NBC.

I had been thinking about getting rid of cable, until I found this (and was reminded that the show will be on over the holidays). 

• Love 1

It's like being in the Wayback Machine!  I have been binging on the On Demand episodes on Spectrum which is my cable provider.  It might be a bit jarring to watch the revival but I'm game for it.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It's like being in the Wayback Machine!  I have been binging on the On Demand episodes on Spectrum which is my cable provider.  It might be a bit jarring to watch the revival but I'm game for it.

I've a;most finished season two. I don't want to rush through it, but love that I get a good laugh out of every single episode. I also love the continuity, with things like the slanted floor. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Anela said:

I've a;most finished season two. I don't want to rush through it, but love that I get a good laugh out of every single episode. I also love the continuity, with things like the slanted floor. 

I'm in the middle of season three.  I'm glad Spectrum has made the old episodes available.  I'm looking forward to the new season.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, AnnaRose said:

I'm in the middle of season three.  I'm glad Spectrum has made the old episodes available.  I'm looking forward to the new season.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, Anela said:

I love the episodes with Jamie and her ex. I finished season three yesterday.

I was in the middle of season five a couple weeks ago, when the episodes became suddenly unavailable unless I pay for an upgrade.  I've been so annoyed with Spectrum!  After spending so much time trying to rewatch the original series before the new season begins... I can't believe they just pulled them like that.  I thought they were supposed to be available until at least the end of November, if not longer.   Does anybody else still have them available to stream for free?

• Love 1

Mine did the same thing, but there was a single episode--Paul is Dead, in Season 2, that wasn't locked, and once I played that one, it would keep going into the next episode and the next, even though they were supposedly locked.  It even let me fast forward through ones I didn't want to see and start the next episode after that.  But, yes, I think that it was a poor decision on their part not to keep the entire series available leading up to the new season.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the show, especially in the beginning.  This weekend I saw through the first episodes with Mabel, so I was able to use this to see quite a bit of the show.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I was in the middle of season five a couple weeks ago, when the episodes became suddenly unavailable unless I pay for an upgrade.  I've been so annoyed with Spectrum!

I'm in season 3, all free at this point. Just out of curiosity I pulled up a season 5 episode and also free.  I would call Spectrum and ask.

3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Mine did the same thing, but there was a single episode--Paul is Dead, in Season 2, that wasn't locked, and once I played that one, it would keep going into the next episode and the next, even though they were supposedly locked.  It even let me fast forward through ones I didn't want to see and start the next episode after that.  But, yes, I think that it was a poor decision on their part not to keep the entire series available leading up to the new season.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the show, especially in the beginning.  This weekend I saw through the first episodes with Mabel, so I was able to use this to see quite a bit of the show.

Thanks for letting me know that.  Although, if I have to go back to season two and FF through all the episodes to where I left off in season five, that will take a lot of time.  (Especially if I have to do that each time I want to watch another few episodes.)

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm in season 3, all free at this point. Just out of curiosity I pulled up a season 5 episode and also free.  I would call Spectrum and ask.

Yes, I may have to do that.  They seemed to disappear around the time we had one of our cable boxes replaced.  The new box has very different firmware and On Demand... so maybe that goofed something up with our DVR. 

Does anybody have a link to Spectrum's announcement about the date until which the old episodes would be available?  I thought it was November 30th, but I'm not completely sure.

25 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Does anybody have a link to Spectrum's announcement about the date until which the old episodes would be available?  I thought it was November 30th, but I'm not completely sure.

I can't find any cut off date.  I found a couple like this but it only addresses the start of the original series.  The new reboot starts November 20, maybe that's what you are thinking of.

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I can't find any cut off date.  I found a couple like this but it only addresses the start of the original series.  The new reboot starts November 20, maybe that's what you are thinking of.

Thank you for that - I had forgotten when the new episodes were supposed to start.  They're going to release all of them at once, right?

I actually just tried the new box with the new firmware, and the episodes are not locked on that device.  (I should have tried that sooner!)  I will have to call Spectrum and have them fix our DVR.

Thanks again for the help and advice Kohola3 and Ailianna!

15 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I was in the middle of season five a couple weeks ago, when the episodes became suddenly unavailable unless I pay for an upgrade.  I've been so annoyed with Spectrum!  After spending so much time trying to rewatch the original series before the new season begins... I can't believe they just pulled them like that.  I thought they were supposed to be available until at least the end of November, if not longer.   Does anybody else still have them available to stream for free?

I was still able to watch an episode yesterday, during season four, when Jamie is trying to get the job for the politician. That was on my phone, on their mostly useless app. I haven't tried using the cable box. 

• Love 1
On 4/13/2018 at 8:44 PM, AnnaRose said:

I haven't seen Helen Hunt in anything recently, but Paul Reiser was amazing in Red Oaks. (Richard Kind was great in Red Oaks too, by the way.)

I love Richard Kind on Young Sheldon, although of course his character is very rarely there. I find his character rather Mark-ish, and in fact sorta-kinda feel like he and Mee Maw might be hanging out with Paul and Jamie at some point.

• LOL 2

Just saw a close up of Helen Hunt in a commercial. Zounds, what the heck has she done to her face?  I realize that it's tough in Hollywood for older actors but I was staring in horror.  That is some really bad work!  I have a feeling I'll be focusing more on her face that the story in the reboot.

• Love 3
On 11/16/2019 at 7:04 AM, Kohola3 said:

Just saw a close up of Helen Hunt in a commercial. Zounds, what the heck has she done to her face?  I realize that it's tough in Hollywood for older actors but I was staring in horror.  That is some really bad work!  I have a feeling I'll be focusing more on her face that the story in the reboot.

I'm watching the first new episode, and I'm really distracted by the plastic surgery. Helen Hunt was an unconventional beauty before, so I'm not sure what look her surgeon was going for but... Her eyes aren't the same size. Is it possible there's a medical issue? 

ETA: I feel bad even commenting on an actor's looks. I wish the US entertainment industry could be more like the UK's. About 90% of watch I watch comes from the UK, and it seems actors are allowed to look like real people on screen. A quick Google search shows a lot of people are distracted by HH's appearance on this reboot.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, QQQQ said:

I'm watching the first new episode, and I'm really distracted by the plastic surgery. Helen Hunt was an unconventional beauty before, so I'm not sure what look her surgeon was going for but... Her eyes aren't the same size. Is it possible there's a medical issue? 

It's on?? I haven't finished my re-watch yet. 

I just finished episode three.  The first two seemed a bit off but I think they’re all finding their stride now.  I’m enjoying it.  What happened to Helen Hunt’s face/mouth?  OMG. (I hate to be mean but....)

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 2
On 6/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, WarnerCL45 said:

Just saw Helen the other night.  She's had so much work done, she's almost unrecognizable.  I think she's done some directing.  Hope they leave this show alone.  I liked it a lot at the beginning, but dragging these two out would just be a sin.

I just watched the first episode of the reboot and holy shit, you weren't kidding about the almost unrecognizable thing. If I didn't know it was her, I wouldn't have guessed Helen Hunt. 

I'll probably watch the rest of the episodes this weekend, I think there's only 6, but I'm not sure this needed to come back. It was always pretty much about nothing, so it isn't like I would ever think "Hey, what would these characters be up to 20 years later?" And honestly, I really, really don't care about their kid. 

• Love 2

Finished all of the new episodes. Boy, Mabel is really entitled and Jamie has taken helicopter parenting to a new level - I'm not sure she's qualified to be anyone's therapist until she gets her shit together.

• Love 6

Jamie is a therapist now? Can someone give any more information about how that happened? 

I'm so mad that I can't watch his.  If anyone wanted to do little recaps, that'd be great.  I have a very enduring affection for the show, and it just low key pains me that I cant watch, even if it's not that good. 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 3

Finished all six episodes.  Enjoyed the reboot, and am looking forward to the next batch of new episodes in December, but I would like to see less of Mabel and the other new characters and much more of the original cast.  (Lisa was almost invisible and Ursula never appeared.  What about Fran and the Buchman sisters?) I realize I’m being VERY narrow minded but I kept waiting for more familiar faces.  I realize some of the missing actors could be busy with other work, not interested, retired, or deceased.

• Love 5

The original series is available on STARZ Encore, and STARZ will be airing three Thanksgiving episodes on Thanksgiving Day.  Yes, including “Giblets for Murray,” best episode for me!  And “Riding Backwards,” which I think is very sweet.  

• Love 2
On 11/24/2019 at 12:17 PM, tinderbox said:

What about Fran and the Buchman sisters?

We won't see Fran unless she's recast, and I doubt that would make anyone happy. Leila Kenzle retired from acting and is a practicing therapist now, and while other reboots have pulled in people who aren't really acting anymore, I think they announced she wouldn't return.

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

We won't see Fran unless she's recast, and I doubt that would make anyone happy. Leila Kenzle retired from acting and is a practicing therapist now, and while other reboots have pulled in people who aren't really acting anymore, I think they announced she wouldn't return.

I was so disappointed that Fran wasn't in it.  For some reason I felt sure she had signed on for the reboot.  And because of a Spectrum issue, I stopped watching the original series at the beginning of the fifth season, and I really thought Fran and Mark got back together eventually.  So when he walked in with his new wife, I was very taken aback.

20 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I was so disappointed that Fran wasn't in it.  For some reason I felt sure she had signed on for the reboot.  And because of a Spectrum issue, I stopped watching the original series at the beginning of the fifth season, and I really thought Fran and Mark got back together eventually.  So when he walked in with his new wife, I was very taken aback.

Wait, what? I can't see the reboot...Mark and Fran did get back together and were together at the end of the show...he has a new wife? No mention of Fran?

Edited by luna1122
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Wait, what? I can't see the reboot...Mark and Fran did get back together and were together at the end of the show...he has a new wife? No mention of Fran?

Thank you for posting that... I thought I was remembering the original series wrong. 

Yes, unfortunately Mark has a new wife.  Fran was mentioned, but I only recall hearing her name once and I don't even remember what was said.  There may have been more than one mention, but I watched the episodes quickly, (feeling mostly annoyed,) and it's all kind of fuzzy.  It sucks because it seemed like Fran was mostly erased from existence, and I was not expecting that at all.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Thank you for posting that... I thought I was remembering the original series wrong. 

Yes, unfortunately Mark has a new wife.  Fran was mentioned, but I only recall hearing her name once and I don't even remember what was said.  There may have been more than one mention, but I watched the episodes quickly, (feeling mostly annoyed,) and it's all kind of fuzzy.  It sucks because it seemed like Fran was mostly erased from existence, and I was not expecting that at all.

Thnx for the answer... It really is killing me that I can't watch this, even though everyone seems a little disappointmed in it. Yeah, on the series finale, which I realize they're sort of just ignoring, fran and mark "invited an adventurous Swedish couple into their marriage and they'd been happier" or something like that. They were definitely still together. Even if they've split, fran and Jamie were Bffs, she shouldn't just be erased, even if the actress isn't interested in returning. 

I guess Ira isn't with marianne/Cyndi Lauper either? 

What's with Jamie becoming a therapist? That seems so random. 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

Thnx for the answer... It really is killing me that I can't watch this, even though everyone seems a little disappointmed in it. Yeah, on the series finale, which I realize they're sort of just ignoring, fran and mark "invited an adventurous Swedish couple into their marriage and they'd been happier" or something like that. They were definitely still together. Even if they've split, fran and Jamie were Bffs, she shouldn't just be erased, even if the actress isn't interested in returning. 

I guess Ira isn't with marianne/Cyndi Lauper either? 

What's with Jamie becoming a therapist? That seems so random. 

Maybe it's a nod to Leila Kenzle, since she became a therapist. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

It feels like home. That's all I'm saying. 

I just started. I don't know why I have warm feelings for Paul... But I do. 

Mr. Wickman is still living! 

Mark and Fran divorced after their nest got empty. 

A show about nothing feels kind of a good in a world filled with... Something... Things... This show just feels like my early adulthood. 

BTW I can't be the only Black person who loved this show. Everyone loves Frasier (you wouldn't believe the love that Kelsey Grammar gets from the Black community. Most from a show called Girlfriends) but I have yet to find a MAY fan. 

Mark's new wife is a therapist.... 

Edited by Queena
Added more info
  • Love 3