Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E02: Taste Test / S17.E03 Keep On Truckin'

I feel terrible about this, but why are people cast on these shows who want to lose weight only to get pregnant and gain weight back?

With a supposedly healthy pregnancy isn't a lot of that just fluid retention? It's not fat/blubber. Well and also tissue that's held in the uterus that along with the baby leaves as afterbirth, right?

Not all weight is created equal, I'm saying.

The women who go on this show to lose weight to have a baby are losing the weight SO that they CAN have a baby. Hope's doctor told her she doubled her chances of getting pregnant by losing over 10% of her body weight. Hope can lose another 10% and increase her chance even more. I think that she would be THRILLED if she were pregnant by the finale. That could happen since even the finalists are home for a few months before the finale.

Becoming pregnant doesn't mean you will gain all your weight back, although sometimes it can be hard to lose the extra weight afterwards.

• Love 3

As someone who struggles with weight issues, I find the food challenges irritating.  If this show focused on helping alcoholics stop drinking and learn better life skills, would they take the losers of the challenges to a bar and have them drink every bottle of liquor in the place?  I think not.  It's as if the very core of what brought the participants to that point in their lives in the first place, is not being taken seriously.  

• Love 8

With a supposedly healthy pregnancy isn't a lot of that just fluid retention? It's not fat/blubber. Well and also tissue that's held in the uterus that along with the baby leaves as afterbirth, right?

Not all weight is created equal, I'm saying.

No, it is not water weight.  You gain fat and have to lose that after the baby is born.  Some gain very little, others a lot.   It is all about food consumption and battling hunger when you are pregnant.  The weight of the baby, placenta and amniotic fluid does not amount to much.  

I don't know whether Richard did any strategizing in this double episode, but I have noticed over the past several seasons that the team that wins the challenge VERY OFTEN loses the weigh-in. It's happened a lot before, and now it's happened all three times so far in this season. I don't suppose he was strategizing about the truck pull and the tacos based on that? :-) Nah, nothing in his public life shows him as driven by superstition. I don't suppose there's any rational connection between winning the challenge and losing the weigh-in. Unless winning the challenge unconsciously makes the winners relax and work less hard?

• Love 1

I'm so curious to see Hope at the reunion. She carries her weight in such an unusual way that I really want to see what she looks like at a normal weight. I wish she would have stayed at the ranch longer because we know contestants generally lose a lot less at home.

Anyway, I thought the whole food truck thing was weird. Like someone else already said, why would someone agree to have their food advertised as the food you shouldn't be eating?

I really don't like most of these people. I don't know why but I hate the twins and the married couple with the fat kid. Toy's also working my last nerve. She knows damn well what she should and shouldn't be eating.

• Love 2

Okay first of all....why did Bob say they only needed three votes to vote out Hope? There were 8 people so three is not majority. They didn't even show the last two votes and they just as easily could have been votes for the one twin. WTF? 

Second, the food truck was the most stupid thing ever! Why not use the loss as a tool for the contestants(and people at home) to learn how to make healthy decisions when they have no other option but to eat on the run? Teach them that even though it's a taco truck, you can ask for a salad...a lettuce taco like that chef made, hell you could just get the tacos and throw the shell away. How is this teaching anyone anything?!

This show is pissing me off because all they care about is the entertainment value. If they wanted to actually help people they wouldn't have these lame food challenges that MAKE them eat bad foods. I'd be much more impressed if the voted off people had the option to continue training off sight, sort of like the second chance thing last year, but are made aware that they still won't win anything. They can keep it all off camera and give them a makeover just like everyone else and really WOW us at the finale. This format just make s it so that they are way more focused on winning than actually losing the weight and getting healthy. 

Also, bring back Allison! I hate Bob as the host. 

Edited by butterflyeludesme
  • Love 2

Butterfly...., I believe there were 7 at that time.  The two below the yellow line don't vote (one must assume they would vote for each other and just cancel it out anyway) so that leaves 5 total voting.  Out of that, 3 is the majority.

Okay first of all....why did Bob say they only needed three votes to vote out Hope? There were 8 people so three is not majority. They didn't even show the last two votes and they just as easily could have been votes for the one twin. WTF? 

Second, the food truck was the most stupid thing ever! Why not use the loss as a tool for the contestants(and people at home) to learn how to make healthy decisions when they have no other option but to eat on the run? Teach them that even though it's a taco truck, you can ask for a salad...a lettuce taco like that chef made, hell you could just get the tacos and throw the shell away. How is this teaching anyone anything?!

This show is pissing me off because all they care about is the entertainment value. If they wanted to actually help people they wouldn't have these lame food challenges that MAKE them eat bad foods. I'd be much more impressed if the voted off people had the option to continue training off sight, sort of like the second chance thing last year, but are made aware that they still won't win anything. They can keep it all off camera and give them a makeover just like everyone else and really WOW us at the finale. This format just make s it so that they are way more focused on winning than actually losing the weight and getting healthy. 

The two people below the yellow line don't get to vote so there are only six people voting.  If there's a tie the person with the lowest percentage weight loss goes home - that was Hope.  So three votes puts her out.

The show is in the business of entertaining people and make money for NBC and the producers.  They're not going to pay to train people who were voted out, there's no reason to do that and it just costs them money.  So of course you get contestants focused on winning (although to win they have to lose weight).

And yeah, Bob is horrible as host.  Possibly worse than he was as a trainer.

• Love 2

I agree with both points. I always groan when contestants say they went of TBL to get healthy. I don't think there is a place on Earth less healthy than the BL ranch.

And Bob is horrendous as a host. I won't go so far as to say that Allison was a fabulous host, but she did the job well--and she seemed to understand what her role was. Bob, I think, just wants to be God.

I think everything on the show is annoying me this season.

Bob - never liked him as a coach and he's even more irritating as a 'host'. So insincere and obnoxious.

Jen - never liked her, never will

Dolvett - used to like him, until this episode, when he just acquiesced to the BS that his team, especially Felicia, were spouting about their problems being his fault. Ummm, you're an idiot for agreeing with that shit.

At home people - I knew they weren't going to lose much, based on how little they did on the show. Might as well not have turned up. You know they're going to lose very little when they appear in the finale.

Red team - see Dolvett above. Also, Felicia? I think you're just pissed that Dolvett yelled at you from the start. I get the feeling that she's the kind of person who thinks everyone loves them and gives her everything she wants, i.e. spoiled! Dolvett didn't give the little princess what she wants, so now she's getting all pouty. Grow up! Also, was to make stupid choices at the food trucks. How dumb are you people?

Black team - Hope is just going home. That's it. Like someone said above, she's not going off to war. She's not going off to die. There isn't some kind of fire-breathing monster patrolling outside the ranch, ready to pick her off the moment she steps outside. Get a grip.

God, this season is annoying.

• Love 1

Bob interferes with training when he shows up at the "last chance" workout, and I'd guess the trainers get pissed at him.

On the Hope vote, I was surprised that no one voted to keep her because she needed help, while the other guy would do well.

I barely even notice Bob as host, but mostly because I'm usually looking at my phone while the show is on. I still prefer Caroline Rhea as host.

Black team - Hope is just going home. That's it. Like someone said above, she's not going off to war. She's not going off to die. There isn't some kind of fire-breathing monster patrolling outside the ranch, ready to pick her off the moment she steps outside. Get a grip.

The histrionics are really annoying, and all the fat people tears make me roll my eyes so much I get a headache.

I hate to say it, but if Hope has a baby she'll lose even more hair. she really should find out why she's losing hair and appears to have a goiter before she thinks about pregnancy.

Hatch looks like losing more than 50 lbs would be too much. Hell, he'd probably want to stop at another 40.

I just can't stand the way the redhead center parts her hair. So unflattering. Hope she gets to makeover week.

• Love 1

To me anyone. Is better than Allison Seeeny. As host. Because this is the way. She talks. With pauses after every. Few words.

Agree that Hatch at almost 300 lbs does not look that bad. And is probably the only interesting contestant.

I was glad to see that two of the contestants were not medically cleared for the truck-pulling challenge. Well, not that they couldn't do the challenge, but that there appeared to be actual medical supervision. The way they make these obese people start working out 12 hours a day when previously they had zero activity has always made me feel uncomfortable.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

As others mentioned, what was in that mac and cheese to have that much calories and fat? Was it made from cream? In all my years of calorie counting, I've never seen mac and cheese that bad. Was the serving bigger than it appeared?

Dolvet handled his team well, and I agree, coming in too strong isn't going to work for everyone...though...have these people not seen the show before? Also, I think a Felicia largely heard what she wanted to hear.

On the Hope vote, I was surprised that no one voted to keep her because she needed help, while the other guy would do well.

She lost two pounds two weeks in a row. For the sake of the team, she probably needed to go. Otherwise, they are more likely to lose again.
  • Love 1

It's too early in the season to pick off the stronger of two competitors (aka the ones who will do well at home). For now you want them on stay on the team. Luis posted 23, 7  and 5 lbs in the season so far, compared to Hope's 10, 2 and 2.

• Love 1

I feel terrible about this, but why are people cast on these shows who want to lose weight only to get pregnant and gain weight back?

So they can have a full term live child before it's too late ....without suffering miscarriage...

• Love 2