Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

Even though Ben is the best bachelor in a long, long time, I´m so annoyed with him :( Why did he have to send my favorite home and keep "Lace"? Didn´t he see the bad lace coming out, or the crazy lace or the weird lace? And I didn´t see the chicken enthusiast anywhere, is she gone? I´ve forgotten her name already and I just remember that she looked like most of the other girls. Olivia was annoying and her mouth is seriously scary. I don´t know what would be more frightening up close, Lace trying to "seduce" a man with her eyes or those shark-like teeth.

I don't think it was Ben's choice to give Lace a rose. He looked pretty pissed handing it to her. The producers have their picks early on and there's nothing the lead can do about it. Only Lace and Olivia seem willing to bring the drama and craziness so far, so they're not going anywhere just yet.

• Love 7

Nice that the "LB" Lauren bowed out. Now there are only 300 Lauren's left.

The show needs to give names out like Flavor of Love did. Sam would be stinky, Olivia is Jaws, Amber is Eyore, the twins are Thing 1 and 2, and so forth.

I think Olivia's chances at the B ette are dead, but unfortunately, it looks like Becca was brought back to test for the role. Or, they could do a season where the contestants completely ignore the B ette and cast Amber. God, that woman needs to go back to school or something. Anything that would prohibit her sad sack ass from ever being on TV again.

• Love 15

Naturally, Ben gets rid of the attorney and the dentist. And keeps in women whose profession is "twins."

My respect for him just dropped. A lot.

Meh. The dentist was super weird, and the attorney was constantly on the verge of tears. I don't think it's a reflection on his character that he cut ladies despite their having more prestigious job descriptions than the others. As a practical point, someone with a serious career might not be able to relocate as easily as, say, a waitress.

Remember, too, that this is a universe with jobs like pantsapreneur, free spirit, and manscaper. Many former contestants have said they were made up or greatly exaggerated. Ashley the "dentist" was a student. Emily the "event planner" was a stay-at-home mom. Nothing wrong with either one, but I think we have to take the descriptions (and ages!) with a grain of salt.

If the chyrons were accurate, many would read "aspiring famewhore."

• Love 9

Peter Brady has nothing on Hot Lips Higgins. Ben has caught on to this game quickly flowing seamlessly from woman to woman and smooching every woman who is putting out the vibe except for crazy Lace.

The battle for homecoming queen hosted by a geeky Chris Harrison was pretty funny. I can see Fleiss and the other producers planning it and thinking of the ways they could humiliate the women. Naturally apple bobbing and geography came up. Maybe it's because I'm a Midwesterner, but putting Indiana on a map is so easy to me simply because of where it is in relation to Chicago. If you know Chicago is just west of the southern tip of Lake Michigan, you should be able to place Indiana on a map fairly accurately. Of course these women apparently had no clue where Indiana is in relation to Chicago or maybe where Chicago is period. Map skills aren't really relevant to famewhoring. I was mostly surprised that the chick from Ann Arbor, Michigan didn't know where Indiana was even though Michigan borders Indiana. I thought it was lame that Mandi the dentist won and only got a spin around the track in a car in a Warsaw letterman's jacket. It seemed like Becca got more quality time shooting hoops with Ben as a way of cementing her frontrunner status.

I can't believe they got huge stars like Kevin Hart and Ice Cube to appear on TB. I'm not a Kevin Hart fan. I find him nauseating like Chris Tucker. But I love Ice Cube. Who would've thought that a one-time hardcore angry rapper who I was listening in the late 80s/early 90s would be on this craptacular show? If he has any street cred left, it just went up in smoke. But I guess it's a natural progression from the Are We There Yet? film series. Obviously they were on there to just promote a movie that I will never see. I just wish Amy Schumer would've rode along instead. Kudos to Amos Lee too. I like his music.

That was pretty weird when Ben was smelling the women. Obviously Olivia would win the Love Lab as they are setting her up for either to win or to be the next Bachelorette. Of course Samantha the attorney who was deemed least compatible was screwed.

The sparkly dress, Amanda, the mom with the annoying voice wore seemed a little much and was distracting to me. I just can't deal with that voice. To Ben's credit, he's been able to look past it so far.

Of course crazy Lace got a rose over an attorney and dentist. This is TB after all where crazy and twins will always win out. Kudos to LB for having enough sense to leave in the least dramatic exit this show has ever seen. She was like peace out and there was no tearful goodbye or anything. Amber's experience obviously got her a rose since she didn't get any time in with Ben. She should know from her previous history on TB and BIP that you have to get screen time to have a chance at winning this game.

This is an extremely weak field of ladies. I like Caila the most so far, but Olivia is looking strong. I like Jubilee's body, but I'm hearing there might be a meltdown later. I hope so. Something needs to happen. I guess the main reason to watch is to see who Lace stabs. Otherwise this season could be a real snoozefest, but it's not like that will keep me from watching.

• Love 4

I like Jeff Drake's assessment of Olivia as Dangerous Crazy versus Lace's Insecure Crazy. It seems like a pretty accurate assessment to me. I know they'll both be around a while, but I think I might truly prefer Lace's desperation to Olivia's smugness and gaping maw. That is one really unsettling tic.

Some of these people, like Becca, or Lauren B or Ben himself seem so nice and normal. I really can't understand the impetus for subjecting yourself to this show. Of course, I'm glad they do, because it provides ample opportunity for me to judge them from my couch but...I don't get it. I'd kind of like Unreal's second season to dive into that aspect more.

• Love 5

Zzzzzzzzz... wow, it didn't get any more exciting this week.

Olivia needs to keep her mouth shut.  Literally.  That chick is catching flies with that thing.  It's always hanging open, super wide.  Just stop.  Oh, and "winning!" has already been done, better, by Courtney.  So, again, just stop.

• Love 8

Amber should have gotten booted just on not being able to place Indiana alone.  She lives in Chicago!  Indiana is literally on every weather map she's ever seen, and although I get the feeling she's not exactly watching the news every night, the weather in Chicago is an almost constant topic of conversation.  She's seen a radar map on a weather app at least once a month since apps were invented.  

• Love 5

Is it just me, or is this the most boring season in the history of the show? No? Just me? Eesh...guess the bloom is off the rose for me. I am so sick of this. We have the crazy one, the "I got this" arrogant one, the mom one, the nice one who always loses stoically.

And that Caila date. Booooorrriinnnng. And I LIKE her. She's BEAUTIFUL and funny and real. But that date. Yaaaawwwnnnn.

I read somewhere that the next b'ette will be (WILL be) a "woman of color" & Since I'm about 99% sure Fliess doesn't believe America's ready for a Black B'ette, they're grooming Caila to be the next B'ette because she's only half asian. Let's ease us into this thing. That's all I was thinking last night...wich tells you how bored I was.

It's all so obviously fake this year....even Lace. I'd love love LOVE to see her on Paradise though....but on this show it's obvious Ben was over her night 1 but the producers are making him keep her for drama's sake. And if the previews are anything to go by (and we know they're not), Jubilee is going to self destruct pretty soon.

Which is a shame because I think she'd make a kick-ass Bachelorette...but watch, it'll be Caila.

• Love 2

Amber should have gotten booted just on not being able to place Indiana alone.  She lives in Chicago!  Indiana is literally on every weather map she's ever seen, and although I get the feeling she's not exactly watching the news every night, the weather in Chicago is an almost constant topic of conversation.  She's seen a radar map on a weather app at least once a month since apps were invented.  

Amber did place Indiana. Or at least she and Mandi did. They didn't get it exactly right in positioning but they got it. It was Becca and Jojo who had no clue where it was and based on their placement didn't even seem to know the shape of Indiana. 

Aside from Lace's being crazy annoying, she comes across almost manic as well. That woman would not let Ben talk. She kept harping on not wanting Ben to think she was crazy but all she did in her time with him was talk over him, tell him how much she didn't want him to think she was crazy and never really let him finish a sentence. 

• Love 3

I think it was Amber and Mandi who put Indiana "pretty close," according to CH. Except that Indiana is not Missouri.

Chicago literally borders Indiana on its east side. And Lake Michigan is a huge landmark! I live in the Hoosier state, and I can be downtown in 20 minutes. No excuse for Amber to be that clueless.

• Love 2

I wonder if they put Ben in a hotel instead of an adjoining house because some of the girls in Chris's season went pawing through his stuff in the house he was staying in?  Or maybe they want to make his hotel room a getaway spot for a date?  I'd think it would be much cheaper than renting out a whole house.  

The best thing about Mandi the dentist was her audition reel.  Seriously, it was hilarious.  Naked men should be in EVERY girl's audition reel.  

• Love 1

I liked Caila- from the one minute I saw from their date while I was channel surfing, she didn't seem like a demented wreck like most of the girls.

Which is ironic since she was the one who dumped her boyfriend after seeing Ben on TV.

Amber's hair absolutely kills me. That slightly off-center part with those tragic growing out bangs and the terrible dirty blonde color. There's no movement to her hair and I think men are very attracted to hair that they view as touchable. Her face is quite cute but her hair reduces her attractiveness significantly. Jamie (?) the other bartender has similar hair in length and color but it's well-styled and comes across as being soft and touchable.

Sour Sam looked so pale and green at the rose ceremony I was expecting her to bar everywhere. She has shark eyes which are a bit scary.

I don't know if I'm fully buying Lace's crazy but I am buying her RUDE. She interrupted Ben numerous times with total non-sequiturs ("crazy, right?"). Having a conversation with her would be aggravating beyond belief. I am sure he wanted to get rid of her.

Edited by petalfrog
  • Love 4

My thing with the geography challenge was that even if you didn't know the exact exact location of Indiana, you'd at least know that the state was vertical not horizontal right??? Eeek embarrassing.

I felt bad for Samantha bc all I could think of whenever I saw her was Sour. Stink sticks. 

I liked how Ben tried to make girls feel special by giving them little tokens like the photo, the barettes and the first prize ribbon. I suppose they could've been producer-prompted but none of the other bach's have been shown to be so sweet and thoughtful.

None of us are fooled by the Lace rose. She is a personification of "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Seconds". Her brand of crazy is not even entertaining.

Calia seemed like a snooze to me. She had no idea who Amos Lee was.

• Love 1

Nice that the "LB" Lauren bowed out. Now there are only 300 Lauren's left.

The show needs to give names out like Flavor of Love did. Sam would be stinky, Olivia is Jaws, Amber is Eyore, the twins are Thing 1 and 2, and so forth.

I think Olivia's chances at the B ette are dead, but unfortunately, it looks like Becca was brought back to test for the role. Or, they could do a season where the contestants completely ignore the B ette and cast Amber. God, that woman needs to go back to school or something. Anything that would prohibit her sad sack ass from ever being on TV again.

Ha!   love your posts; this is a beauty! 

• Love 1

Amber's hair absolutely kills me. That slightly off-center part with those tragic growing out bangs and the terrible dirty blonde color. There's no movement to her hair and I think men are very attracted to hair that they view as touchable. Her face is quite cute but her hair reduces her attractiveness significantly. Jamie (?) the other bartender has similar hair in length and color but it's well-styled and comes across as being soft and touchable.

I don't know why she continues to try to wear it straight on these shows.  My hair is not chemically straightened either and it's beyond a hassle to get it super straight and keep it that way in the heat / humidity.  I'm only wearing it straight now because it's winter and it will stay straight longer.  If she wants that look she needs to go for that full sew in because not only does the way she does it now it look unappealing, I'm sure she's doing no favors for the health of her hair.  I wish she'd just figure out how to wear it curly.

• Love 2
Amanda: Does she have a story to go with the two young girls?  Widowed?  Divorced? Contraceptively inept?  If it's going to be a rose-worthy issue, we need more information -- see Emily.

Last week she said that she got divorced "about two years ago" which, given that she has a two year old, means there's definitely a story there.  

I agree that this season is a snooze so far, but the fact that they're not holding the RCs for next week with a "to be continued" probably says something about just how painfully boring Chris S. must have been.

And since I'm convinced that Ben was cast as the anti-Kaitlyn, I wonder if he was put up at a hotel to actually discourage extra-curricular activities?

• Love 7

Oh yeah, and Show? Any "sex science" scenes with everyone in underwear smelling each other are very very creepy. Don't do that anymore.

I suppose it was better than that Love Guru on Chris' season but not by much.

• Love 4

I am out if that ever happens. As bad as The Bachelor can be, it need not ever take tips from Flavor of Love, or any of the "of Love" shows. That path only leads to the franchise ending due to a murder/suicide.

I am glad he dumped Mandi, the "weird" dentist. Her third rate Ashley S wannabe shtick got old fast. Not to mention it finally dawned on me who she reminded me of, looks wise. At first I was thinking a young, much less attractive, Heather Graham, but that wasn't it. Then it dawned on me. She reminded of that idiot Nicole Arbour, of "Dear Fat People" infamy. I am sure Mandi isn't that bad, but I do think it is best if she shuffles off back to Portlandia.

Olivia's habit of opening wide is kind of unfortunate. But in all honesty, I can't imagine her ability to create such an opening with her mouth would be a deal breaker for any guy. Except Ben, who seems more intent on arts and crafts, what with his making barrettes for kids he has never met.

And was I the only one who, when LB asked to speak to Ben, thought she was going to tell him that she was not a contestant but had actually wandered into the house by mistake? Because seriously, who the hell is LB?

As for Olivia, I understand the need to make her the villain, and it is no surprise that she is so off-putting to both the women in the house and the audience. But I can't fault her for wanting to monopolize Ben's time. At one point, one of the women, Lace I think, said that it was "Olivia versus the rest of the women". But the truth is, on The Bachelor, it is every woman for herself. If you truly want to end up with the Bachelor (and granted, I imagine most really don't), then that is the only way to view it. Any woman who thinks it would behoove Olivia to sit on the couch with the rest of the ladies and yak about Ben, rather than actually trying to take the time to get to know Ben, stands no chance. They will find themselves on The Women Tell All fighting for time (ironically) to trash Olivia.  

• Love 3

Nothing Ben or any other bachelor does is spontaneous.  They don't think up anything, not even lines of conversation.  Those tokens were thought up by and produced by other people.  Ben is just the presenter.  He does nothing sweet, however he presents these things kindly and convincingly.  

I have no idea who he is either.  

• Love 14

So I caught a few more minutes today and honestly as bitchy and passive aggressive as Olivia is (man she was throwing those little jabs all over the place), I found Amanda INCREDIBLY annoying when she didn't get the rose. I'm sorry, having two kids and sharing that doesn't qualify for some huge badge of honor that means you must get the rose.

I get that she felt the conversation was so amazing that she was confused but then to say that she couldn't IMAGINE he had one as good with anyone else, was to me as entitled and cocky as Olivia herself, who Amanda dislikes. But at least to Olivia's credit, so far Ben's sure giving her validation for her feeling like they seem very good and likely to happen. 

• Love 3
Nice that the "LB" Lauren bowed out.

I tuned into the middle of the rose ceremony, but was LB wearing trousers? It looked like it when she called Ben aside to leave, and if she was, I say "good on you, girl." And: "I wish you had stayed." Just because of the no-prom-dress thing.

The b-ette on the car date looked just like Sean's Catherine wife. Other b-ettes are looking like past contestants to me, too. 

I want to attach electrodes to Ben and give him a jolt every time he says "like." Of course, he would be reduced to a blacked pile of ashes after about 10 minutes, so that would be the end of the show.

I just can't watch/listen to this guy speak on his own, when he isn't prompted in THs and with a script. He's all: "Like ... like ... like ..." ad nauseam. It is so PAINFUL!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
As for Olivia, I understand the need to make her the villain, and it is no surprise that she is so off-putting to both the women in the house and the audience. But I can't fault her for wanting to monopolize Ben's time. At one point, one of the women, Lace I think, said that it was "Olivia versus the rest of the women". But the truth is, on The Bachelor, it is every woman for herself. If you truly want to end up with the Bachelor (and granted, I imagine most really don't), then that is the only way to view it. Any woman who thinks it would behoove Olivia to sit on the couch with the rest of the ladies and yak about Ben, rather than actually trying to take the time to get to know Ben, stands no chance. They will find themselves on The Women Tell All fighting for time (ironically) to trash Olivia.

Is there a rule that a Lead cannot refuse a contestant's request for one-on-one time during the cocktail parties or other group events?  

Because while I understand Olivia not "owing it"**** to any of the women who didn't yet have roses to give them time with Ben, it seems like it would be somewhat gentlemanly of Ben to suggest to Olivia that his time would be better spent talking to some of the women whom he still had make decisions about.

****In that regard, it's interesting how during the Bachelorette seasons, the guys seem to adhere to a "bro code" of not taking up cocktail-party-time once they have a rose (the exceptions to that tend to become pariahs).  But I don't think that's coming from any place of "honor", but rather that the field of guys is generally not that interested in the female Leads that get cast and would rather "hang with the guys".

• Love 1

Someone must have told Olivia that her big mouth looks like Julia Roberts when she smiles. I imagine her watching the Pretty Woman necklace box scene on repeat trying to perfect America's sweetheart gaping smile. But it is so over-the-top and fake--especially when they were preparing to read Calia's date card, which she obviously thought was going to be for her. But, damn, she turned Courtney/Vienna/not-here-to-make-friends fast! I was able to excuse the I'm the top choice talking head stuff because, let's face it, she IS the front-runner out of the gate. I wish I had typed up notes while watching as I sometimes do because now I can't remember the exact quote. But when she said TO the girls that basically she's done and now they can have their turns, not that it will do them any good, oh, no, honey! Just last week she was my favorite, and now I'm not sure whom to root for!

Maybe JoJo? Ben is definitely crazy about JoJo! When he brought her on the rooftop and kissed her, it was totally reminiscent of when he also had a romantic, rooftop kiss with Kaitlyn. I feel like with most of the other girls he kissed, it was because they wanted to kiss him and he looks visibly restrained and unsure, but he was glowing with JoJo! (Do we capitalize that second J? It looks like a clown or a dog name... I'll go with lowercase.) I don't know much about this girl, but I guess I'll make her my new favorite until she proves otherwise.

From "crazy about" to just plain crazy: Lace. I really hoped for more out of Lace's big confrontation of Olivia. I get the sense that a producer said, if you don't like what Olivia's doing, you should tell her! And then once she got there, Lace back-tracked. It's the opposite of what she does with Ben: I'm going to track him down and make him kiss me; she ends up making him want to go nowhere near her! Or, I'm going to track Ben down and tell him I'm not crazy; she ends up reassuring him that she's certifiably crazy. These "two sides" of her personality...I'm thinking she has never been confident in her life but yet she told herself that she could reinvent herself specifically on this show and for this show and that's why it's not working out for her because she's never given the non-crazy-Lace much real-world practice.  

Then on the other end of the "Can I steal you for a moment?" spectrum is Amber, Granted, maybe she only said one time about how she had no time with Ben but they just replayed that voiceover 35 times. But that was ridiculous! This is your THIRD TIME on this goddamned franchise! You don't sit and pout and wait for him to come to you. You need to put on your big girl panties and go ask, "Can I steal you for a moment?" They are seemingly contractually obligated to say yes! Granted, you don't want to go stealing him from someone like Lace who might murder you in your sleep. But go steal him from one of the pleasant girls who will graciously give up their seat. If she can't learn the #1 rule of cocktail parties/group dates, she doesn't deserve this many chances!

Who else...? Oh, poor, sour Samantha. :-( That's embarrassing! Calia seemed cute, though I doubt they got in a word edgewise with Kevin Hart, as hilarious as he is.

• Love 4

Another thing I just remembered, and this goes to Fleiss & Co.'s hamfisted handling of race on this franchise.

Who was the first 'ette they cut to for a reaction to Ice Cube and Kevin Hart?

Of course it was.

• Love 7

Is there a rule that a Lead cannot refuse a contestant's request for one-on-one time during the cocktail parties or other group events?  

Because while I understand Olivia not "owing it"**** to any of the women who didn't yet have roses to give them time with Ben, it seems like it would be somewhat gentlemanly of Ben to suggest to Olivia that his time would be better spent talking to some of the women whom he still had make decisions about.

I wish he would tell some of the time-monopolizing ones to go away too! I can't imagine there would be a rule that they can't...but who knows. It's probably just them trying to seem polite and easygoing or something. In my opinion, it just makes Ben look like he gets led around like a little puppy dog.

• Love 1

Nothing Ben or any other bachelor does is spontaneous. They don't think up anything, not even lines of conversation. Those tokens were thought up by and produced by other people. Ben is just the presenter. He does nothing sweet, however he presents these things kindly and convincingly.

I have no idea who he is either.

I have no idea who he is, either. Sorry, dude is too whiny and hipster doofus for my taste. But, the good news is that the musical act portion of the show is over. I always get second hand embarrassment (Britt pogoing at the Big Fig Newton concert, Delores O' Riordan being reduced to collecting her bachelor paycheck, any Blob Guiney covers). I mean, you can make better bucks and have a cooler audience on the retirement condo entertainment circuit. Seriously.

Oh, and I noticed that sour, sacked Sam had black eyes. Actual black eyes. She reminded me of a monster girl in a Dario Argento short film called "Jennifer". Darker hair would probably make her eyes less freakish looking.

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 3

I believe Ashley Hebert was actually in her residency, or about to start it, when she did the show. At any rate, she's a practicing dentist in South Florida now.

I know that declining the rose has always been an option for the contestants, but was this the first time that one has actually done it after the rose was offered at the ceremony? I've seen people withdraw before the B started handing roses out, or even in the middle, but this was the first time I've seen an actual "no" answer to "do you accept?"

Lace seems to have two settings: mask insecurity by being a mean girl, or mask insecurity with booze. Edit is everything, but I hope she's shown Ben more than we've seen.

• Love 3

I don't find Olivia pretty at all. She just looks rough and slouchy. Now I have the image of her gaping mouth permanently lodged in my brain as well. Yikes. Girl is suprisingly awkward.

I can't stand Amber. If you look up the word 'desperate' in the dictionary, there's a picture of her. She is a 30-year-old bartender, who has already been rejected by multiple men from this franchise and who made a fool of herself on BIP trying to make one man jealous by going on a date and making out with another. Yet somehow she thinks she has a shot with a guy 4 years her junior, who has 20+ gorgeous young women to choose from, some of which are very accomplished. He keeps totally ignoring her, and instead of attempting to talk to him, or better yet leaving, she just keeps whining about how she hasn't had any time and she might miss out on a great guy. I swear she enjoys feeling sorry for herself, there's just no other explanation. She clearly got the pity rose this week, since LB left, but she still can't take a hint. Ugh.

At least Becca is Ben's age and already managed to charm one Bachelor. Watching the after show I got the sense Chris still isn't totally over her, so clearly she has that something something going on. I don't think Ben wants Chris's sloppy seconds again however, Kaitlyn was enough. Becca was killing it on that basketball court though. Good on her!

Amanda's mousy girly voice is annoying me. How can she have two daughters when she looks and sounds like a 12-year-old girl herself? Ben's reaction to the revelation was pretty sweet though. He didn't even pause for a second.

The twins are interesting to me. Emily seems very outgoing and Haley very reserved. She even told Ben she was worried about him being attracted to the outgoing women. I wonder if Emily's always been the one to steal the attention and Haley's just been the mute sidekick. I can see it being both a blessing and a curse for her. Just an interesting dynamic. I like them though, they seem surprisingly normal rather than a gimmick.

Caila annoyed me less this week than last, but she just comes off very rehearsed to me. She's still not being real IMO. She's stunning though! The first part of the date was pretty useless since they barely got a word in edgewise.

JoJo seems very real though and I like that about her. I feel like she's the most herself so far. Not bitchy, but not overly polite or poised either. I can almost forget there are cameras around her. 

• Love 3
How can she have two daughters when she looks and sounds like a 12-year-old girl herself?

Oh, you really, really do NOT want an answer to that.

That music guy who was Ben's favorite: I'd never heard of him. And Ben's favorite song I've never heard. Am I that out-of-touch (Hey, I know who The Weeknd is!) or was that music guy some random dude there to get a promo?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I have to have heard of Amos Lee to be interesting?  Jesus Murphy.  (Meanwhile Dolores O'Riordan was a GOD to me growing up, that moment last season was like a FAIRY visiting Earth - but I'd never call someone dull who didn't know her).

Obviously Olivia would win the Love Lab as they are setting her up for either to win or to be the next Bachelorette.

No -- please tell me this can't happen.  I'm not trying to be facetious here; isn't her mouth thing way too offensive and obnoxious to watch week after week?  I don't know how straight men would feel about her but I'm hoping they'd find it as scary as I do?  (Yes.... I'm getting the innuendo here....)

And since I'm convinced that Ben was cast as the anti-Kaitlyn

With all the kissing he was reminding me of Kaitlyn.  Actually I think he indiscriminately likes women more than Kaitlyn likes men.  At least I can see how people could find Fake Ryan Gosling attractive.  There's no way I can get behind Olivia and what she does with her mouth.  She is the second scariest one there.

I still like the mother (Amanda)?   I understand that her baby voice annoys some, I do.  But in the limo sequence I picked her to nail this.  For the life of me I didn't expect Busted Cameron Diaz to come out of nowhere and swallow the competition whole.  

For those mentioning "UnReal" and contestants of colour --- Second season of UnReal is going to be a black male Bachelor!  An ex-football player.  I can't wait.  Everyone should catch up on Season 1 before Season 2 debuts this summer.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Wait... so Caila stated her last relationship ended because they met on a plane, and she kept waiting for her heart to catch up with the story of meeting on a plane?

Her heart is in for a long wait to catch up with the story of dumping her boyfriend to meet boring Ben on The Bachelor.

Ofc, we know she's likely to be the next Bachelorette, but if not, maybe she should meet her next guy at the grocery store or on eHarmony.

• Love 2

I liked Caila before their date, perhaps because she resembled Catherine Lowe a bit. But she seemed .. well, kind of dumb ... and also unable to volunteer much about herself and her likes (her answer to "What do you look for in a man?" was so bad. Basically, told him nothing, and it was as if she never had even thought about it.)

ETA per above: I think the "romantic story her feelings couldn't catch up with" was that they'd met on a plane--he hadn't taken her number--and then, a miracle! They met a few weeks later in the city. She took this as a sign. (And,yes, I'm sticking with my impression of her above--sweet but not too bright.)

And I've never heard of Amos Lee either (although I liked the song). But when you're interested in someone who tells you he loves this singer--and that this is his favorite song--maybe you might show some interest? Caila showed none. She seems sweet enough for Ben (I don't see him going for a Vienna type), but just really, really dim.

And Amos Lee has apparently been around for a while, but reading about him on Wikipedia, I was surprised Ben would know of him. Wonder if he's really into music? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amos_Lee

On the after show, Kris Jenner said Lace was like the offspring if Kelsey and Ashley S had a baby. It got some laughs, but I think Kelsey Poe was more arrogant and also brighter than Lace while Ashley S was kookier, but also kind and nice.  Lace's claim to fame seems to be she's very insecure, socially uncomfortable and drinks way too much. I felt sorry for Ben --who so far seems like one of the better bachelors -- because he looked like he could barely stand to call her name at the RC. No question the producers want her to stay.

I kind of enjoyed the "Back to School" challenge (and that they didn't let them use a map with state borders on it). Nice to see them having to use some brainwork in a competition for a change. That said, what impressed me was the way the two finalists (Mandi? someone else?) took those hurdles. They looked so comfortable with them, running at a good speed--as if they'd been doing it all their lives.

As for Ben, one more compliment. I enjoyed the time he was trying to describe the experience he'd had with one of the women...you could see he might have come up with "amazing" but then rejected it and instead chose, "glorious".  "Glorious!"  That was very cool (and a big improvement on Chris Soules who continued to use "amazing" every single episode, even after Kimmel had mocked him for it early on).

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

A lot of young women get obsessed with a "Meet Cute" and don't realize how inconsequential it really is.  Like a bride who's way more concerned about the the details of the wedding than the actual marriage.  She did communicate the story well to Ben, and she's not stuck in an infernal loop of using "like" as filler words.  

• Love 3

Another thing I just remembered, and this goes to Fleiss & Co.'s hamfisted handling of race on this franchise.

Who was the first 'ette they cut to for a reaction to Ice Cube and Kevin Hart?

Of course it was.

I know.  I wish she had a look on her face like "who?"

• Love 4

I love Amos Lee, so I had simultaneous contradictory feelings when he appeared on screen: 1) "Yay! Amos Lee! I love Amos Lee!" and 2) "Ugh, why, WHY, Amos, are you on this show? How much money do you need?"

Props to Lauren B for the clever "I could leave now and be happy" line. No doubt she was sincere, but it was a great tactic in any case. Made Ben sweat with fear that she might leave.

No way Busted Cameron Diaz (TM Ms Blue Jay) is only 23 years old. She could easily be 33.

Edited by TiaLou
  • Love 5

I'm just waiting for the sides of Ben's hair to grow back out. Every so often they intersplice an interview with him in the same clothes with a bit more hair above his ears and he looks a lot nicer, though maybe that's just lighting. It is one godawful haircut, and it makes him look prematurely thinning on top, with that awkward always-greasy little tussle of not enough. It also makes him look more like a 14 -18 year old virgin very keen to get a bit of 'tongue'. But otherwise, he seems... amiable.

This show has really gone down the tubes! What was all that 'buying condoms' and naked hot tub penis in Caila's plastic food date?!? I've always noticed they don't eat - I think, eat your meals, don't waste it! - but I've never seen a 'meal' that looked like plastic hamburger buns in a basket before, or a 'romantic date' that involved huge bystanders in fluoro tee's walking past randomly and distractingly.

• Love 2

I thought Chris was rocking his wardrobe, first with the adorkable school principal look, then that rose ceremony suit.  Wow! It seemed like it was a deep plum, looked almost black, but it had this gorgeous undertone in color. OhMy! How I want something in my closet to look that amazing! 

Ben handled himself really well, I thought, given the sensitivity of a lot of the women, and how he's trying to make them feel that he hasn't forgotten they exist. I appreciate his general kindness... and his ability to avoid a lot of the cliche words we've all come to expect from this franchise.  If he gets through the entire season without committing some of the worst pronoun gaffes that show up every season, I'll be a proud of my son's alma-mater. Ben also manages to avoid the Hoosier-isms that are so common around this state. LOL  Well done, Ben!

As for Becca, I thought she did a really smooth job of impressing him. She hit that first basket, and his eyes just about bugged out of his head. His interest was definitely piqued right there. And she handled that with the confidence of a woman that knows what just happened. Good job, Becca.

Olivia's mouth can go now.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
  • Love 2

Anytime someone on the show says, "Mimosas!" the audience has to shout, "Treat Yo Self!". It is a rule.

Man, you Parks & Recreation people are some loyal fans. I was at a huge dinner party at a restaurant over the weekend and every time someone ordered the P&R's fans would yell, "Treat yo self." Lol.

Ben reminds me of an adult version of Stephen from Laguna Beach... except Stephen seemed way more comfortable stringing along multiple women at one time. Plus he surfed!

I can't see Caila as a Bachelorette. She would have to be confrontational and reject men. Plus she'd have to explain why she liked 'this' guy better than 'that' guy. I don't believe she could explain herself. She seems like the type that would like every guy for the five minutes she's with them and then get very confused.

Can I just say that makeup is magic. Because unmade up Olivia looks like the bottom of a shoe. But made up Olivia looks like Sparkle Bright Barbie (on crack though). I hope they give all these women makeovers. They look so unfortunate and seem so insecure. They are supposed to be spending their short time with Ben impressing him with their wit. Instead he's always there reassuring them. It's boring. Ladies, go out and buy some self-esteem. Treat yo self!

• Love 5

I just re-watched Caila & Ben's dinner date, and during their conversation Ben said "like" sixteen times,  Caila did not say it even once.  That is not a young woman grasping for conversation or failing to communicate.  I think she's smart enough to keep the camera conversations light.  They all have to do it.  

We've never heard a single dinner conversation that included Kierkegaard, homeostasis or weak ontology.  They talk about absolutely nothing of consequence when the camera is on them.  And that's the producers decision.  

And neither Ashley or Des were harsh or confrontational in sending guys home.  They both did it kindly, yet firmly.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

I thought Chris was rocking his wardrobe tonight, first with the adorkable school principal look, then that rose ceremony suit. Wow! It seemed like it was a deep plum, looked almost black, but it had this gorgeous undertone in color.

Olivia's mouth can go now.

Chris Hanson is a magical being who can do no wrong. I tried to make a drawing of him astride a unicorn, but I am a shitty artist.

Olivia indeed has a gaping maw. So that's the last thing a rat sees before being devoured by a constrictor snake. Scary.

• Love 5

No way Busted Cameron Diaz (TM Ms Blue Jay) is only 23 years old. She could easily be 33.

Exactly. She seemed so much more attractive on the first night. Whereas I think many of the others have improved, to me, from my first night impressions. She looked hideous without any makeup on, which to me, shows she's not a natural beauty. And on the love lab group date I noticed she looked sort of like a Amazon. Thick legs and hips. No definitely not the "winner" she seems to think she is.

I kind of felt sorry for Amber at first but last night she was really getting on my nerves. Really Amber? Instead of whining about not getting any alone time with Ben do something about it. Go talk to him. Duh! Or did you expect him to come to you? As many times as she's been on this franchise she should have known better than that and that she had to take her chances when she got them. I also believe she wouldn't have got that rose if L.B. had not of left.

I didn't watch Chris S season so I don't know much about Becca but she really impressed me last night. She seemed really laid back and confident when they were shooting hoops.

JoJo seems levelheaded and confident as well but I don't get (as another poster stated) Ben saying how much she opened up to him when they didn't even show any meaningful conversation between them. Unless you count, "oh this is so beautiful" and a kiss or two. I wonder if the producers edited out part of the conversation or Ben just overstated it because he has a attraction to her.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 2
I feel like with most of the other girls he kissed, it was because they wanted to kiss him and he looks visibly restrained and unsure, but he was glowing with JoJo!

I kind of disagree. I mean I agree that he was glowing with Jojo but with the exception of Olivia, I definitely found him the aggressor and way into the kissing with the other women which kind of surprised me considering his whole, "I want to get to know you first before the physical". I definitely felt that way with Jennifer I believe - the first girl he kissed that episode. I thought she was genuinely trying to have a conversation with him and Ben just jumped in on that. I also thought he was definitely all in with the kissing with Caila as well. 

• Love 1

It's like he mashed up all the advice the three previous bachelors gave him - kiss them all!, don't whatever you do let the other women see you kissing one, don't kiss on a group date/cocktail party, therefore - and just went haywire.

Really sad my other first night favorite, husky-voiced Samantha, got the boot. It sucks that she's gone and that worn-out Amber got to stay, given Jami the other 30 year old bartender is an identikit and one's enough.

But Lacey's still there! I hope she sticks around a while. Neither she nor Olivia look so good without a ton of eyeliner, which is disappointing to discover, but both are excellent in their talking heads - one poignant, and the other repellent.

First...and second...and third impressions after a longish night and watching after the fact...

-The commercial load on this program and network TV in general is absurd.  A two-hour program block is cut down to 1 hr 24 min with the teasers, promos, 'coming ups' etc. removed.  That's 30% waste for you scoring at home.  Network executives want to point the finger at competition for their death spiral but a staunch refusal to update their business model is the real culprit.

-The music continues to amuse but not in the manner intended.  Someone somewhere is making good money from these cheesy obvious cues.  Morning=strummy acoustics.  Evening=tinkly piano.  Note that the needle hits the record the moment the Bachelor locks lips with a contestant.  And let us not forget the omnipresent cymbal crescendos: sssssSSSSSSS.  The Vangelis Chariots Of Fire pastiche (read:  royalty-dodging ripoff) was a particular low point.

-Lace..we want at least one crazy one to stay but the Shame N Blame routine seen so often on this program is a sure-fire loser.  'I don't feel like we've spent any time together'.....'I want you to get to know me as a person'.....'I feel like you're excluding me'.....'I don't want you to get the wrong impression about me'....etc.  Blokes don't want the sales pitch or the fine print or an inventory of their minutes spent.  As Yoda says:  do or do not. There is no try.

-Jubilee is chronologically younger but decades older emotionally. Can't they bill her as something besides a 'war veteran' as if she's a member of the GAR?

-Jennifer is on easy street.  Plan?  Coincidence?  A love match (gasp)?  Whatever it is she is playing it cool, low pressure and has Ben eating out of her hand.  Good on her.

-Olivia getting the bad video edit in the teeth - literally.  Someone in the truck doesn't like her.  Ben does, obvs.

-Rachel a dark horse.  Still gorge.

-'Ice Cube's done everything from acting to rap.'  Wow!  What an all-round talent! (EDIT:  I didn't see the post above.  Jinx!).

-GoPro cameras mounted everywhere on the classic convertible.  It's Southern California....there had to be dozens of vehicles beeping horns as they recognized two film stars.

-Yes, let's relax and be us as we sit in a demo spa in a fully lit store!  The exterior of the store is covered in razor wire.  How romantic!

-Caila's airplane hookup didn't lead to a loving long-term relationship?  How odd.

-Ladies, Chuck Taylor sneakers are never going to be cute, playful, relaxed, casual, etc. etc.  They simply make your legs look thick and suggest you are batting for the rainbow team. Get some Keds, Tretorn or Adidas trainers.

-Olivia thinks they have a relationship after 30 minutes total of interaction?  This is bunny boiler stuff.

-Fair play to the producers for coming up with a group date that is useful, meaningful, etc. The LoveLab was a highly useful stroke of genius.  The women were uncomfortable?  Tough.  Males value objective information and Ben was no exception.

-Like.  Like.  Like like like.  Can't American girls remove this word from their vocabulary?  Lauren B verbatim:  "I told myself coming here today...I was, like, if I, for whatever reason, like, don't get to, like, go to the next week I was, like, you know, it's fine.  I feel, like, I've learned a lot about myself and I've made, like, a lot of good friends."  That's six likes ie six too many.  But Lauren B gets a photo. Score!

-Yeah, Ben's really jazzed about 'gaining a family.' I'm sure a single bloke in his mid 20s can't wait to take on two pre-K aged children. Ben gets...hair clips?  How masculine.

-Ben's 'let them down easy' sales pitch is weak and obvious.  Hopefully by now the ladies have learned that if they are singled out for a compliment early they aren't getting date rose later.

-The ladies aren't the only ones with naff tattoos.  Ben has something 'meaningful' inscribed on his rib cage.  Memo to Bachelor and Bachelorette alike:  if your most profound thoughts can fit in the space of an index card, you are quite the shallow individual.

-Football-hiking chick wore the littlest and lowest-cut of Little Black Dresses to the pool deck and got the suit coat offered to her.

-A bomb whistle sound effect should accompany all the Lace segments. After all her possessive drama she gave a chaste non-hug to Ben at the RC.

-The 'steal rule' needs to go.

-Exactly what fashion is being bought in Stillwater OK?

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 8

When the date card was brought in, and they showed Olivia opening her mouth in shock or something, there was something not genuine about it.   I suspect that the producers asked her to do that, and they just inserted the video into random scenes.  Nobody acts "shocked" by opening their mouth so wide it looks like their jaw is unhinged.

Later, when she and Ben kissed, I was imagining her opening her mouth again and devouring his entire head, like something out of a horror movie.

• Love 1

Brilliant recap. I especially enjoyed:

The next class is Lunch Class. Um…lunch class? For this (loosely defined) class, the ladies must bob for apples in apple-filled aquariums. They're trying to get the red apple -- red like Ben's heart -- without using their hands. Then they have to pass it to their partner and drop it on a tray with other food. I don't know why I'm explaining this to you, we've all been to lunch class.

That last line will have me chuckling all day.

• Love 5