Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

So us poor, deprived Americans are finally getting to see this! Those garish 'Unaired USA' warning tags can start to be taken down.

So glad to have this Schitt back. I love how David brought out the worst in the Amish. They couldn't get him out of their house fast enough, and after only three days! David days must be like dog years. 

It will be interesting to see where all these characters will go in S2, now that we're familiar with everybody.

• Love 2

Just binge-watched the entire first season on Poptv.com and absolutely love it. I get at least one good LOL moment every episode.

So how many times has Alexis been kidnapped? Once by a Saudi prince, once by Somali pirates from David Geffen's yacht, and one other time when she was 17. I guess this is supposed to be a running joke about privileged rich white girls traveling overseas. 

I wish we'd had an entire episode of David living with the Amish. What did he do, just sort of follow them around and watch them? They obviously couldn't wait to get rid of him but were they letting him sleep in their houses? 

• Love 3

I haven't viewed this season's webisodes yet......oh please oh please let one of them be set on the Amish farm.

I've said it before....I would find this show insanely watchable even if Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara weren't on it. And those two are like gods to me...so that just goes to show how good I think it is.

• Love 3

Awwww, David has a heart! And he's learning to be practical! And in the same episode!

Even though Alexis wasn't the best fake lawyer, she had the right idea. She knew to wear something that made her look scary and she had some good advice for David about lying under pressure. Bonus: we got another one of her insane international caper stories.

• Love 14

Aired in the US now! OMG, Moira's audition was hilarious. So was her singing in bed at the end. She doesn't know the words to any of the songs. And I can't believe the Jazzagirls were doing an a Capella version of "It's raining men!" LOL. 

Hey Canadian viewers - are they allowed to say the F-Word on TV in Canada? I can never figure out why they use that word so much in the dialogue if it's just going to be bleeped out but maybe it's not up there?

• LOL 1

Bonus: we got another one of her insane international caper stories.

These lines always make me laugh hard. She's just so nonchalant about them, like there not completely insane.

The look on Moiras face when Johnny laid out what exactly she has "won" was awesome. 

• Love 7

Hey Canadian viewers - are they allowed to say the F-Word on TV in Canada?

In prime-time (especially after 9 pm, when the show airs up here), you can get away with pretty much everything BUT the F-word.

I can never figure out why they use that word so much in the dialogue if it's just going to be bleeped out but maybe it's not up there?

The way I see it, the F-word is just a word, but well-placed censorship can be f***ing hilarious. :)
  • Love 4

I'm just glad we're back.  I really enjoy the quirkiness of this show and I've liked Eugene and Catherine since SCTV days.  

Also I like the kids' story line.  The daughter, Daniel's story line, and (of course, since Letterman - "Bananas") Chris Elliott.  

Just, YAY!! 

• Love 1

That was awesome. I loved the Roses standing up for their neighbours (I'm terrible with names).

Loved the dancing at the end but wow Mutt could not look more different than his parents.

So sad that was the finale though.

• Love 7

Get some, David! I loved the callback to the red wine/white wine conversation.

My living room got a little dusty at the end there.

Loved the dancing at the end but wow Mutt could not look more different than his parents.

Wow, I'd completely forgotten Mutt's lineage.

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Love 7

It was very sweet to see that after all the campaign stuff (and Moira's snobby attitude before that), Jocelyn still tried to help Moira with her embellishments about how she and Johnny are living now.

It's about time David got a love interest. I can't imagine that things with Jake will end much better than Alexis and Ted/Mutt, but I'm all for him getting some loving. Heh, just thinking about how he tried to build something and had to have Mutt finish it for him makes me think that David dating a furniture maker is going to make for some hilariously awkward conversation.

So sad that was the finale though.

Pop already renewed the show for S3 at the beginning of March so never fear - we will get more Roses in Schitt('s Creek)! There's a link in the media thread. Of course, we still have to wait a whole year for that, but still.

I have no idea why it took until this episode for me to realize that the actress who plays Stevie is also Jennifer Goines on 12 Monkeys. She always looked familiar to me, but I assumed that was because she reminded me of a young Ally Sheedy.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

What was David wearing? Roland described it as a skirt, and David corrected him that it was a pair of pants with skirt fabric in front and back. What's that called? Do they even make such things? And why is David always wearing pants that only go down to his shins?

I guess Johnny did manage to get unemployment after all, but I wonder how much he's getting. 

What exactly does Stevie do all day? It's not as if the motel ever has any guests. Does she clean the rooms? Seems like she spends all day long sitting behind a desk doing nothing (we saw her playing solitaire on the computer once). Who is paying her salary? The Schitts? They own that motel, right?

• Love 3

I don't think they own the motel. They just own the town. Not sure how that works though. In the first episode, the mayor reserved 2 rooms. Moira wanted 3. The mayor said no & that there was a 1 room comp policy & they he was personally throwing in another.

I think Stevie's job is front desk. It's not her fault they there is next to no business in town so she reads or plays solitaire. We've seen her deliver towels. We've never been introduced to a maid so maybe she cleans as well. But if there's barely any visitors, she won't have much to clean.

The Schitts are Roland and Jocelyn, not the Roses. I know the Roses own the town but I was under the impression the Schitts owned the motel because Roland said he "comped" the two rooms he gave the Roses in the pilot. So I'm assuming they are the ones paying Stevie's salary. Also, it appears the town itself was named after Roland's ancestors so I'd be interested to know how it ever went up for sale and what exactly that entitles the Roses to. 

• Love 2

("I see nothing but potential here" - ha!).

I see literally nothing but potential here. The woman who owns/runs the Blouse Barn is a good fit for this show so it's nice to see her in a recurring capacity. 

• Love 1

I'm kind of with Alexis on this one - Mutt looked better with the beard, and normally I don't even like beards. How did Roland ever have a kid that looked like that?

I'm still confused about what "owning" the town gives the Roses the right to do. I suppose they wanted the town council to pay for the cleanup and the boxwoods but it seems like, in theory, they should be able to do whatever they want.

• Love 2

I'm still confused about what "owning" the town gives the Roses the right to do. I suppose they wanted the town council to pay for the cleanup and the boxwoods but it seems like, in theory, they should be able to do whatever they want.

I wonder the same. Is everything in the town "free" for them. I don't know how owning a town would work. Wouldn't they have responsibilities as well?

Edited by Locutus

A quick Google search tells me that in theory, the Roses would own all the businesses in Schitt's Creek - they would own the motel, the cafe, the Blouse Barn, etc. That doesn't seem to be the case in this show. Maybe it was some kind of special buy where they got the land but not the buildings on it.

• Love 1

My husband once pulled the old Beardless Wake-Up on me. I knew he was thinking about shaving, and still I almost took his head off his shoulders.

I absolutely love the dynamic between David and his new boss! It's bizarre, yet somehow I find it believable.

Loved Alexis snapping "I WAS a beard! For a very well-know actor!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Eh, I can remember when there was dairy in California that sold raw milk, but they had a big contamination scandal (gawd, 20 years ago? Or more?) and lots of people got very sick. That's when the anti-raw milk legislation happened. If the farmer himself gave me the milk, it'd be o.k., but I'd be nervous about any commercial raw milk. So much can go wrong.

The checkpoint was hilarious but I still have a hard time stomaching Roland/Chris Elliot. What are those metal jug things Alexis got the milk in, and why did Ted even arrange for her to get them? I guess maybe he's still hoping they can get back together. Frankly I'm on Team Ted. I could see the appeal of Mutt from a hormonal aspect when he was all lumberjack-looking but with the shaved face he's just another male model. At least Ted has a job and lives in a normal apartment (showroom furniture notwithstanding). 

• Love 1

I think it's hilarious that David's boss immediately started eating out of his hand. I think I've been that boss. It's called being "not suited for management."

I would also be doing everything within my power to get with Alexis . . . and I'm not even gay.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

There is always at least one line per episode that has me laughing out loud. Last week it was Alexis saying Us Magazine once said she was "up for anything." This week it was Ted asking her why there were three people on hold, and her response of "Uh, because someone hung up?" 

But yeah - she turned out to be surprisingly sweet with the cat lady, even after the awkward way she spilled the beans. I'm glad Ted recognized that and didn't get mad that she told her. RIP Mittens!

And OMG - Moira's wig at the party. Hilarious. I'm still not clear on whether or not Ronnie is in a relationship with that woman she was laughing with at the very end. I can't believe Johnny was stupid enough to put his foot in his mouth that way after they barely escaped a major blunder with Moira's prepared notes. 

This show always puts a big smile on my face.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Moira looked like a  character in a Tim Burton movie at the patty. That suit.

I think we were supposed to assume that the red-haired woman was Ronnie's live-in girlfriend. If so--go, Ronnie! She looks like quite a catch.

The writers are doing a great job of humanizing both Alexis and David. I'm quite fond of both of them at this point.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 7

The thing I still don't understand is . . . why any of the Roses need to be on the town council when they own the town. I wish they'd spell out what that entitles them to because so far it seems to mean nothing. Why do they even need to live in this town if they're not getting anything out of it? They could be living anywhere, literally. 

Generally if you were to buy a whole town you would own everything in it - the businesses, the buildings, the homes, everything. Now, even if for some odd reason that's not the case here, and all the business owners still own their own businesses and the buildings that house them, as "owners of the town" the Roses should be able to dictate anything the town council now seems to be in charge of. That's sort of the point of buying a town (aside from a tax write-off) - you own it, you make the rules, as far as federal and state law will allow. If the Roses decide every building in the entire town has to be painted pink, for example - that would become the rule, and everyone in the town would have to comply. If the Roses wanted a town council to make these kinds of decisions, it would be up to them to appoint them, fire them, etc. They own the freaking town!

Maybe they're all just too stupid to realize it.

• Love 3

The thing I still don't understand is . . . why any of the Roses need to be on the town council when they own the town. I wish they'd spell out what that entitles them to because so far it seems to mean nothing. Why do they even need to live in this town if they're not getting anything out of it? They could be living anywhere, literally.

Not only that, wouldn't they be entitled to some of the property tax money?

I tried searching Google about what Kim Basinger was entitled to when she bought Braselton, GA back in the late 80s. I didn't come up with anything substantial, but did see this unsourced explanation on a messageboard:

Kim Basinger bought Braselton in 1989 for $20,000,000. What Basinger was buying were the assets owned by the town government - the most valuable of which was approximately 2000 acres of land. The Braselton area was undeveloped but in the vicinity of Atlanta and Basinger figured she could develop the land and increase its value. But she had to declare bankruptcy (for other reasons) in 1993 and sold the property for $1,000,000. Wayne Mason, the current owner, is offering the land to developers. He's already sold tracts for more than the $20,000,000 Basinger paid so theoretically her plan made sense.

I really do find the conceit of their town ownership confounding sometimes, but am willing, like the poster above, to let it slide because I just adore this show so very much.

(edited)

I love that David has developed not only a heart, but also a work ethic. 

I'm sure I'm  not the only one to have noted that Moira and David never wear any color--just black and white. I was amused to notice that Moira's signs were black and white as well. And Jocelyn's, fittingly, were pink.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 6

I really wanted David to use that check to buy the Blouse Barn for himself. Fingers crossed it'll happen next season. 

It was sweet, surprisingly so. After the way they wormed their way out of dinner with the Schitt's it was nice seeing Johnny stand up for them against their former friends. The "I love yous" at the end may have been a bit much for this show, but Moira seemed pretty drunk. The thing with David and Jake was pretty amusing too. 

I still say Ted is way cuter than Mutt.

• Love 4

I love everybody in this show so therefore I like the show. I wouldnt even watch if it wasnt for Cathrine Ohara and rhe Levizts. It really dosnt have much of a viewer aud. and I really hope it picks up next season because this show has alot of potential!

• Love 1
(edited)

I LOVE this show.  The casting is impeccable which is why it works IMO.

I also love the way the stories are working in a gentle and positive way.  Having things work out for Wendy the store owner and a chunk of change for the family was great.  I also like that while David is openly bisexual he is not portrayed as a sexually hungry person.  For him (at this juncture) it's about the other person as a person - not the other person as a sexual partner. That is super refreshing.

I also think the show carries the "value of family and friends" message better than anything on major networks.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 12

I loved this episode. I have to admit to being a little verklempt at the end. It was more like a series-ending ep than a season-ender. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here, with the Roses reluctantly getting comfortable with the town and all its schitt...

• Love 5

I love this show.  The main characters, The Roses are a little snobby but ultimately decent people.  Reminds me a little bit of Green Acres.

They have grown as people but have not lost their personalities.  Good show, shitty name.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've loved the Roses becoming more self-aware this season, but I wasn't a fan of this ep. The dance party ending was a bit much for me.      

I am seriously in love with David, and while I'm intrigued by his possible romance with the woodshop guy, I can't help but ship David+Stevie. C'mon, they're soul mates!

Edited by Portia
Can and can't have quite different meanings.
  • Love 6
On 6/7/2016 at 9:14 AM, DXD526 said:

I loved this episode. I have to admit to being a little verklempt at the end. It was more like a series-ending ep than a season-ender. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here, with the Roses reluctantly getting comfortable with the town and all its schitt...

My guess is that David will turn out to be the one with business sense and use some of the shop money to "do something interesting" in Season 3.  I hope they find a way to bring the Wendy character back, though. She was hysterical.

2 hours ago, Portia said:

I've loved the Roses becoming more self-aware this season, but I wasn't a fan of this ep. The dance party ending was a bit much for me.      

I am seriously in love with David, and while I'm intrigued by his possible romance with the woodshop guy, I can help but ship David+Stevie. C'mon, they're soul mates!

I LOVED the dance party.  I re-watch the videos online all the time.  I love the feel-good nature of the show - esp. sticking up for the Schitt's and the expression of love and friendship at the party.   At first glance, it maybe seemed a little too good to be true, but I actually believe they all love each other in the real world and that it shone through during the barn dance.  The Levy's seem like a tight family with their priorities where they should be.  Actor interviews on the POP website make me think the cast really gets along really well.

Even if that's not the case, I was down with the "love" fest between family and friends.  So refreshing in a cynical world. 

Agree about David and Stevie!

• Love 7
(edited)
On 3/6/2016 at 1:38 AM, giovannif7 said:

Moira's advice to Stevie to take lots of nude pictures while you're young and make sure they're available on the internet was the perfect conclusion to Moira’s twisted thought process. After all, how will kids prove how hot their mom was back in the day if they aren’t able to find those nude photos online? Think of the children!

I love Moira.  I thought Catherine O'Hara's performance was a little too over-the-top in the first few episodes in Season 1 but it didn't take long for me to get over it.  I adore her. I particularly like the fact that she has a great vocabulary....she doesn't use big pretentious words but rather smart and precise words....words that convey meaning with precision.  She's no dummy.  

Mutt is handsome.  Ted is cute.    I'm more attracted to cute than to handsome only because I have it in my head that handsome is either a) out of my league or b) not to be trusted.  Unfair and unfounded, but it's how I respond to super good looking people.

I think Alexis is great.  Like Moira, I think she's smarter than she comes off.  I'd describe Alexis as cute more than pretty.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6

I am seriously in love with David, and while I'm intrigued by his possible romance with the woodshop guy, I can't help but ship David+Stevie. C'mon, they're soul mates!

Well I don't think either one of them was really into Jake. I think they both wanted to prove to each other that Jake was into them. Remember, the episode started with them making fun of each other's yearbook photos and trading barbs about how popular they each were in high school. Once they were at the party, David seemed way more anxious to prove to Stevie that Jake was interested in him than he was in Jake himself. So I don't think the show has given up on David and Stevie, by a long shot.

(Also: how hilarious is it that David once played a kidnapped boy on Dateline?)

• Love 5

I'm just catching up on this season.  Moira and Dave are my favorites.  I just love how Moira talks, and I have a daughter named Alexis, so I tend to say it like Moira after I watch an episode.  It's fun.  

I think Ted is cute too, in a charming dorkier way than Mutts mysterious good looking guy looks.  So different. 

• Love 2