Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Iowa

Like some other posters I thought at the end Alicia was going to tell Peter she wanted a divorce.  A much better question for Ruth to ask Alicia when they were talking would have been, "If you are unhappy, and don't want to be here, why didn't you divorce Peter years ago?"

I believe Eli's confession about Will's phone call is leading up to him telling Alicia that Peter knew the machines were rigged in his election, and Alicia will finally divorce Peter.  This would have been so much better if it had happened a couple of years ago.

Love the idea of Alicia ending up on a beach with Kalinda.  That would have been so perfect.  I don't know who is in control of this show anymore, but whoever it is, they should put it out of its misery.

• Love 1

The legal plots never were very realistic -- in a city the size of Chicago, the same lawyers are always against each other, very short times to trial, very little discovery, etc.  But now, they are bordering on the ridiculous.  I agree -- the show assumes we like Alicia, horrible wig and all.  I was describing this show to my husband the other day while we on a fairly long road trip, and I described Alicia to him as a stone-cold bitch and I couldn't  understand why any man would like her.   Did like the plot line that every small town in Iowa looked the same.  I'm from rural Oklahoma, and it is pretty much the same there.  I never did understand the way the Iowa Caucus worked, so I did learn something from this show. 

Maybe it was just the settings on my TV or maybe I am just subconsciously trying to convince myself that my thighs are a close to normal size, but JM looked horribly, almost anorexicly, skinny to me - especially in the scene where she was packing and was wearing jeans.   She has always been thin, but she seems much too thin now.   

• Love 1

Alicia IS Hillary. Bill didn't go to jail, but during the first campaign they were constantly watching for "bimbo eruptions." After the Monica scandal broke, Hillary got on the morning news shows and said it was all a "vast right-wing conspiracy." She was the ultimate "stand by your man" Good Wife.

Alicia wasn't sorting which plates to throw, she was getting ready to set the table. If you always use the same plates, they will show uneven wear. She pulled out three plates, picked up the others to put them away, and then realized Eli wasn't leaving.

Beyond the "chance with Will" issue, Eli betrayed Alicia by listening to what he knew was an important message, and then deleting it without ever telling her. He took what he knew was a major decision away from her.

Eli does think Alicia is the better candidate. Not necessarily right now, but at some point. That's at least part of why he came clean. When he deleted that message he was thinking of her as the candidate's wife. Now he needs to have her trust as the candidate.

Alicia will not divorce Peter because Hillary has not divorced Bill. Watch the show as though it were happening 20-odd years ago, and you'll see the parallels.

• Love 2

Pretty much. After Will died Alicia had that fight with Peter where she decided the marriage will be for political purposes only. And this season, with Ruth trying to frame Alicia as a cookie-baking June Cleaver while Alicia wanted to be a powerful lawyer was directly ripped off from the cookie-baking thing in 1992. They're writing them as the Clintons. 

The real difference is, Hillary owns that she's smart and ambitious and wants power, while the show keeps framing Alicia as the poor underdog who needs to fight for survival. Probably because they don't want to make Alicia "unlikeable". 

• Love 3

The real difference is, Hillary owns that she's smart and ambitious and wants power, while the show keeps framing Alicia as the poor underdog who needs to fight for survival. Probably because they don't want to make Alicia "unlikeable". 

I think Alicia is still on her journey. She's been shown getting closer to that over the past 7 years, that's why so many are finding her more unlikeable. 

I think Alicia is still on her journey. She's been shown getting closer to that over the past 7 years, that's why so many are finding her more unlikeable. 

But she hates everything about politics. When Eli begged her to run, she had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do all the dumb pandering stuff, or anything unappealing like sucking up to assholes with money. Every bit of corruption that happened under her nose is greeted with surprise and indignation. Every time some slimy career politician asks her to do something stupid or gross she pouts. This is the exact opposite Hillary (and Peter, on the show) both of whom would quite cheerfully have Bernie Sanders killed. They embrace the cheesy and amoral side of politics. They accept that their rivals will be mean to them and it makes them fight back harder. When someone is mean to Alicia she's sad because she's a good person and doesn't deserve it. She holds grudges, she takes things personally. She cares if people are unfair to her. 

• Love 3

I thought the whole Ruth explains how lost loves work plot was so sexist. Would Eli be explaining that to Peter? Would Peter be moping around and flinging plates because someone erased a voice mail from a lover? Do lost loves really define people? I don't think so.

And I hope Margo Martindale gets a better character to play soon.

• Love 1

Pretty much. After Will died Alicia had that fight with Peter where she decided the marriage will be for political purposes only. And this season, with Ruth trying to frame Alicia as a cookie-baking June Cleaver while Alicia wanted to be a powerful lawyer was directly ripped off from the cookie-baking thing in 1992. They're writing them as the Clintons. 

The only difference I would add is that as far as I know Clinton just cheated on his wife with women (women?) who wanted to be there. Where as Peter, he was banging hookers and had ties to organized crime. Which brings me to my comment about how I thought it was funny that people in Iowa were all upset about spitting out the sandwich but as always no one is upset about a presidential candidate banging hookers and having ties to organized crime (and doing jail time).

• Love 1

I'm late to this, as Season 7 just became available on Amazon Prime.

Wow.  Quite possibly the worst episode of the series (although I still have 8 or 9 left to watch).    Alicia with the sunglasses.   An election lost on account of Mo Rocca (hate ya, Mo) and a loose meat sandwich.   I thought after Roseanne I would never ever have to hear about a loose meat sandwich again.   Then that Peter Florrick fanatic out in Iowa, rapping, singing ... it was so awful it was surreal.   And the cherry on top, the screechingly terrible song used to frame the episode.     I started feeling claustrophobic and anxious.