Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Iowa

I think Alicia is mad at herself more than Eli.  I'm glad Peter came in last.  If he had come in second or first, I would have been calling BS.  Alicia clearly does not want to be part of whatever Peter is doing so she should just cut her losses, and move on.  The writers keep dragging this out, and it is dumb and boring.  Ruth was wrong.  Alicia could have taken her life in a different direction, and it's time she does.

So does Cary and Diane feuding mean yet another law firm split?  {face palm}

• Love 6

I only saw last minute because of Downton. What happened? Is Peter out of race?

He came in 4th after Clinton, Sanders and O'Malley. Sounds like curtains for Peter.

For Eli to still be enamored of Alicia after seeing her go absolutely plate-throwing nuts and throw a tantrum while on the bus with a reporter is ridiculous. For anyone to be surprised that Howard Lyman, who has been a lawyer for fifty years, has $2.2M to stow away somewhere is ridiculous (yes, I know it didn't end up being his but that is what raised eyebrows in the first place.) For Alicia to share intimate personal details with Ruth of all people is ridiculous. Alicia's encyclopedic knowledge of the Iowa Caucus rules is ridiculous.

I liked Ruth's speech to Alicia about her ex, though.

Edited by ktwo
  • Love 9

I'm glad that the election story line, or Peter's candidacy at least, is wrapped up, but oh boy was that not a good episode. I've never felt like Ruth really gelled as a character, and her conversation with Alicia about lost loves was embarrassingly clunky. I also didn't fully understand their bus tour strategy - it sounded like the Full-Greensleeves meant they'd visit every district in the state, but then they only visited 3. But they still got credit for the Full Monty? I don't know. It was dumb. Also, I'm dumb, because even though they've mentioned Bernie and Hillary in other episodes, I really thought Peter was a Republican up until this episode.

On the plus side, I do live the Clem Snide song that served as the refrain for this episode, it's always nice to see David Krumholtz, and I sort of vaguely remember that town crier Florrick supporter from a previous episode where he made some sort of viral video, so that was a good callback. And best of all: Jeffrey Dean Morgan has not forsaken us.

I wonder if this fiscal malfeasance by David Lee is paving the way for him to leave the firm and Alicia and her new partner to move back in? I would kind of like that. It would be nice if the old gang got back together.

I'd also enjoy it if Eli just confessed his love for Alicia, and they discovered they were each other's happily ever afters. It's just weird enough that it could really work.

• Love 1

Yeah, it's gonna be hard for Peter to justify going on after having his ass handed to him in Iowa. And, in fact, Eli was right that Ruth was running the campaign the wrong way. It really is about the microtargeting, etc. (Though it was nice to see Zach for a minute again).

Interesting that Eli still thinks Alicia's "the one." She's not as damaged goods as Peter is, and it's now several years after the "stand by your man" moment. I don't think a real political operative would touch her at this point (she had her moments, and she chose not to with the one guy a few years ago, and went down in flames in the States Attorney race).

And that little sneak Cary got what he wanted all season long: he got Howard out of the way.

• Love 3

I also didn't fully understand their bus tour strategy - it sounded like the Full-Greensleeves meant they'd visit every district in the state, but then they only visited 3. But they still got credit for the Full Monty?

No, we only saw them visit 3, the bus tour had been going on for awhile when we joined them already in progress

• Love 1

Why did Carey think he could get Howard to take emeritus status when he tried before and Howard wouldn't do it? This employment discrimination thing isn't actually enforceable, because Howard wouldn't care if his existing causes the firm a massive headache and he never has. 

Whatever, this is all placesetting for Alicia and Luca to somehow join Lockhart/Agos/Whoever and the show ends with Alicia happy finally being the boss. 

Also, did anyone think it was hilarious how no one took the the employment discrimination people seriously? I mean, they were scared they could ruin the firm, but they didn't actually believe the complaint should be taken seriously or that they actually did anything to warrant a complaint. I suppose it says something about how bored I am with the show rerunning the same plots over and over and OVER that I'm actually interested most in how Monica ends up. She's the only real new character the show's had in forever. (We've seen slight variations of Luca and Jason and Ruth and Ted tons of times). 

Also, why was that blonde Georgetown girl so interested in Grace? Was there something I'm missing?

• Love 3

I hate this show so much for having been so good and now being so completely shitty. This is literally painful to watch. I honestly did not believe a moment of Alicia's "breakdown" -- just didn't feel at all authentic to me. They did all they could to set her up for her Big Moment: the high contrast lighting, replaying last episode's cliffhanger, giving her a big Dramatic Gesture (with such conviction) breaking plates, and then the knock at the door oh tee hee it's him! One-two punch! Except... it didn't work. I was thinking the whole time "Here's Alicia's Emmy moment." UGH.

And WTF is she even doing taking part in this campaign? Is it supposed to be a nice family activity? The writers mean her to be "playing along" with all this campaign stuff, that secretly she doesn't care about at all -- and she goes along obediently and plays the role. Why? If she is so devastated to learn the truth about Will, one would think she'd prefer to get smashed on tequila and eat ice cream in bed for 3 weeks. I just feel the writing is so ham-handed and obvious, so irrational and inconsistent, making no sense. There are good moments here and there, but overall it was another really sub-par episode.

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 9

Because Alicia is the wife, who is good. And the wife of a presidential candidate goes to Iowa. That's non-negotiable. It would strain credulity to have the campaign let her beg off from the most important campaign event of her husband's career. Especially not to eat ice cream in bed because she was upset about her dead lover. Could you imagine Peter or Ruth agreeing to that? 

• Love 5

Work those sunglasses, Alicia, you little executive producer, you!

I would find it refreshingly honest to hear a candidate/person admit she hated being on a campaign bus in Iowa and would rather be home.  But I guess there really are zillions of Americans who would be offended by such a heartfelt legitimate complaint. . .and then further buy the "Only 'cuz my kid has a cold!" followup.  Loose meat sandwich-level campaigning must be one of the circles of hell. 

Although, perversely, I think that surreptitiously spitting out the dish of pride in public is so stupid, the spitter probably shouldn't be allowed near any seat of power.

David Lee stashing funds under Howard's name to scam a partner buyout is huge, as in "goodbye, firm" huge.  And didn't seem to warrant much more attention than that pesky EEOC investigation.

I should have just added "Agree" to the posts noting this episode was awful.

• Love 3

Also, why was that blonde Georgetown girl so interested in Grace? Was there something I'm missing?

I thought it was a lesbian attraction, and that's why they lost the youth ministry leader. But maybe I'm making up plot lines that don't exist.

Did they purposely make up Alicia to resemble all those Texts from Hillary memes, with the sunglasses and the iPad and the central hair part?

I thought the most unintentionally funny part of this episode was the scenes with Jason in San Francisco with the trolley bells clanging and the Golden Gate Bridge reflected in his windshield. I'm sure it was meant to scream "Look, I'm on location!" but kind of gave the impression that he was sightseeing. I work in San Francisco a week out of every year, and I have yet to see the Golden Gate. It really doesn't loom over everything in the city.

• Love 7

No, we only saw them visit 3, the bus tour had been going on for awhile when we joined them already in progress

When they were announcing the results, though, they said Peter only won 4 districts - the three that he'd visited, plus another one.

• Love 2

Although, perversely, I think that surreptitiously spitting out the dish of pride in public is so stupid, the spitter probably shouldn't be allowed near any seat of power.

I don't buy that from Peter. He's a seasoned politician, and from Illinois, I'm sure he's developed a technique for eating all kinds of foods: pizza, Polish sausage, pierogies, you name it! 

What was more intriguing at the end was when Alicia saw him mourning at the death of his campaign and went over to him for what seemed to be a legitimately intimate moment. I don't think those 2 can ever be quit of each other (and while it's a shame that Josh Charles is no longer on the show, Will and Alicia, in the way they were both written, really were never meant to be together as those characters). And of course they underlined that with Margo Martindale saying that you're going to end up where you're going to end up. (Was that meant to be meta to the fans, or was it just straight-up opinion/exposition?)

And, Alicia working the shades totally put me in mind of Jackie O. The grieving widow.

Edited by kwnyc
  • Love 1

I wonder if this fiscal malfeasance by David Lee is paving the way for him to leave the firm and Alicia and her new partner to move back in? I would kind of like that. It would be nice if the old gang got back together.

David getting locked up (or jettisoned) for fraud would be interesting to watch.

• Love 5

I get that Alicia has a right to be mad, and that she could've been with will basically a year sooner than their fling, but I don't get why she's a raging, plate-throwing fury at Eli when it was her decision to cut things off with Will when it was distracting her from her kids.

Is it, perhaps, that he never admitted later that he loved her, and so she didn't take it seriously, when she really *could* have embarked on a new life had she known?

• Love 1

I get that Alicia has a right to be mad, and that she could've been with will basically a year sooner than their fling, but I don't get why she's a raging, plate-throwing fury at Eli when it was her decision to cut things off with Will when it was distracting her from her kids.

Is it, perhaps, that he never admitted later that he loved her, and so she didn't take it seriously, when she really *could* have embarked on a new life had she known?

Does she though? I dunno, I just can't get it up for her flip-out, excellent plate-throwing aside. It's not like she and Will didn't get together and do their thing. They did, and then she made her choice. She made a lot of choices. Repeatedly. She chose to end things with Will. She chose to go back to Peter. She chose to support Peter's career instead of starting a life with Will. If she loved Will and it was that important to her, she would have chosen it. The show makes a big deal about "Oh, Alicia is doing what SHE wants to do now!" Okay then, what you're telling me is that what she wanted was to pursue the power and keep the marriage of convenience. 

And really, it was probably a good thing that she didn't hear that message, because it would have put her in the weak position of walking away from one man for another man, instead of genuinely taking care of herself, at least to a point. That's kind of what she was mad at Eli for, because he removed the option to go from one relationship to the other right away. Meh. 

I like to think that was what the end scene was, when she saw Peter dejected and went to him, that she was accepting the fact that no, she made choices ,and she did what she wanted. Will wanted her in college, and she chose Peter. Will wanted her 20 years later, and she ultimately chose Peter again. Even if she has him at arm's length, it IS what she's chosen. 

...I have used the word "choices" a lot here. Yikes. >.>

• Love 11

I totally get why Alicia would be so mad. Even when they were together, I don't think he ever told her he loves her and would give everything to be with her. That part of the reason she never left Peter was because she didn't know if Will was in it for the long haul of it Will, casual, serial dater, was just seeing Alicia the way he saw Tammy Linetta or yoga girl? If she's known Will felt that way, maybe she would have done things differently. 

Zach realized that she may have liked him, but she LIKED Grace. Get it?

But she'd never met Grace. Even someone obsessed with politics probably couldn't identify the teenage daughter of a long-shot candidate who's a governor in another state. It would be like if she had a crush on Martin O'Malley's daughter. I just don't buy anybody would see the politicians' kids like that, when usually the minor children of political figures are kept away from the cameras. 

I don't buy that from Peter. He's a seasoned politician, and from Illinois, I'm sure he's developed a technique for eating all kinds of foods: pizza, Polish sausage, pierogies, you name it! 

Yeah, that was a real rookie move, especially for a slick panderer like Peter's supposed to be. But the whole Iowa plot line was about - the people are dumb, and ugly, and care about dumb shit, and the politicians have nothing but contempt for them as well they should. The point was to show the audience the kind of stuff you have to do to win elections. 

Edited by Tetraneutron
  • Love 3

So...can we get back to lawyerin' stuff now? Because I hate everything about this whole election subplot.

Also, personal point of order: If JDM is going to work for Vanessa Williams (sorry, I am spacing on character names), he would be NOWHERE near the Golden Gate. He likely would have flown to SFO and gone south to San Jose. The Golden Gate is literally in the opposite direction of where he is going.

• Love 6

I think it's easy for Alicia to romanticize her relationship with Will because he is dead, and she can play the "What If" game.  With Peter Alicia knows it was all an illusion.  Peter is a liar and a cheater, and the great marriage and life she thought they had together never existed.  Both Eli and Ruth don't seem to understand Alicia no longer wants to be the "Good Wife."  However, why she won't just grow a freaking spine and get the hell out makes no sense.

I don't now what David Lee is up to this time, but these attorneys are just dumb.  Supposedly, Lockhart Gardner was a successful law firm that attorneys wanted to work for.  Will, Diane, Alicia, Cary, David, etc., were all supposed to be great attorneys who attracted clients and brought in money, and yet they constantly undermine each other, and shoot themselves in the foot.  When a law firm splits up, it is a big deal.  The attorneys don't just hop willy nilly from firm to firm, or reunite every six months.

Of course, it depends on who is writing, and what the plot of the week is as to whether the firm is making money, or going broke, and whether the attorneys have any idea what their current case is about.

• Love 3

I could only get through the first half and had to turn it off. It was just awful!! Being a resident of Iowa, I was completely turned off how they represented the state. It's less than a 2.5 drive from Chicago to Iowa and when you cross the river into Iowa, there are actual cities. No, they are not Los Angeles, but they aren't TinyTowns either. Yes, there are rural areas, but we huge towns too. And the loose meat sandwich?? Seriously?? This show really has gone downhill. It pretty much sucks at this point! Okay, rant over.

• Love 11

I wasn't playing close attention to this show (again, shocker).  But with each of the three campaign stops they made, did the hilarious directors/set designers think it would be a knee slapper to show the exact same right turn the bus makes, same street, same stores, and just a different "welcome to xxxxtown" sign on the left.  If they did, and if I lived in Iowa, I'd be pissed.  Just about as pissed as I am that this show takes place Chicago and yet they don't film here.

It is my belief that when Eli told Ruth that Alicia is the "one", he wasn't  talking about running Alicia for office, he was talking about using HER in the campaign instead of Peter.  Like the anvil they hit us with when Alicia retracted/explained her "miserable" comment and at the next campaign stops the citizens of the county were jubilant to see Alicia.  

BTW, her retraction made no sense, because Grace was on the damn bus with them anyway, and not looking sickly at all. 

I too believe they only did 3 counties.  Some guy (who's name I could not care less about). Did this route and won.  They kept saying the name as if we would know who the hell it is.

• Love 3

I wasn't playing close attention to this show (again, shocker).  But with each of the three campaign stops they made, did the hilarious directors/set designers think it would be a knee slapper to show the exact same right turn the bus makes, same street, same stores, and just a different "welcome to xxxxtown" sign on the left.  If they did, and if I lived in Iowa, I'd be pissed.  Just about as pissed as I am that this show takes place Chicago and yet they don't film here.

Yes, it was the same set the 3 times. I have to say, as a non-American, I am puzzled by the portrayal of Iowa. I would understand showing the disdain the politicians from big cities have for rural states, but the show went beyond and above that. It wasn't funny.

I don't understand how Zach came to the conclusion that blonde girl liked his sister. He seemed to figure that out in 3 seconds with no sign from the girl whatsoever.

When they were announcing the results, though, they said Peter only won 4 districts - the three that he'd visited, plus another one.

I think they were the 3 that he had visited that day, getting them in under the wire to complete the full monty. He's been campaigning for awhile we're not going to see him visit every district in this one episode. Given that it seems they wanted to set most of the story on the bus we'd have to see him visit some of the more rural districts rather than the ones he could easily have reached by plane.

• Love 1

Yes, it was the same set the 3 times. I have to say, as a non-American, I am puzzled by the portrayal of Iowa. I would understand showing the disdain the politicians from big cities have for rural states, but the show went beyond and above that. It wasn't funny.

I don't understand how Zach came to the conclusion that blonde girl liked his sister. He seemed to figure that out in 3 seconds with no sign from the girl whatsoever.

As soon as the girl learned that the boy was Zach, she immediately asked if Grace was here.  She was all giddy.  

• Love 4

Awful.

Maybe now that this stupid election attempt is toast, they can finally get a divorce.  At least that would move things along - in some way.

I can't believe this is the same show as when it started.  So much utter bullshit - Eli is my favorite character.  I guess Alicia is supposed to be so suppressed that that was her big explosion?  First, of course, she sorts through the plates to see which are expendable?  Sure - everyone does that in a moment of pure rage.

I have always found JM to be a very average talent so not surprised how dull I find her as a character and completely perplexed about why other characters are so enchanted with her.  Eli is, I thought, smarter than this but maybe because they can't seem to quit redundant election stories, his little bit of "insight" was meant to set the stage for her to run for yet another office.

Enough.  It is boring, to me anyway.

Edited by roomtorome
  • Love 2

Will did tell Alicia he loved her, while they were together.  They were on the phone and as they were saying goodbye, he casually said "love you", which made Alicia freeze up like the Ice Queen of the North, and then Will tried to play it off like he didn't actually say that, or didn't mean it (can't remember). But he said the words and they both knew he meant them. Yes, he said the words.  She has no excuse.  She had her chance with him, she threw it away.  But it's Eli's fault, I guess.  Because it can't be hers.

• Love 16

Wow. that was bad.

I've actually worked the caucus in Iowa--okay, one weekend, for one candidate--and although the citizens voted for the wrong damn person, they were gracious, (otherwise) intelligent, friendly people who don't deserve to be portrayed as they were last night. I kept wanting Eli to grab Zach and say, "Listen here, you little snot. What have you ever done to warrant acting so superior to these people who could help get your family into the White House? You think it helps your dad for you to sneer and snicker?" And then toss him back down in the chair on the bus with that other little snot, the curly-haired guy. Those two were the filling in loose meat sandwiches.

Peter spitting out the sandwich. Yeah, right. He'd be stuffing chili-covered french fries in his mouth if that would help him get elected.

Oh the other hand, yay! Peter lost big, thereby proving the people of Iowa are not as stupid as Zach thinks they are.

I don't like the way they're portraying Diane these days. Didn't she used to have an ethical center?

Some shallow, callow writin' goin' on here.

• Love 11

Nice recap. My favorite line:

I feel like Martin O'Malley, watching at home, is probably pretty psyched that anyone thinks he could beat one other Democrat in the field.

• Love 9

Grassley I believe is an esteemed Iowa senator. This was a West Wingy maneuver.

Yes, it felt very Sorkin to me, in that they introduced and repeatedly name-checked a semi-obscure concept or practice and centered the episode's major plotline on it. It comes across (to me) as a nerd move, with an element of showing off over something fairly trivial. TGW does a lot of that, and it bores me by the end of every episode.

I've actually worked the caucus in Iowa--okay, one weekend, for one candidate--and although the citizens voted for the wrong damn person, they were gracious, (otherwise) intelligent, friendly people who don't deserve to be portrayed as they were last night. I kept wanting Eli to grab Zach and say, "Listen here, you little snot. What have you ever done to warrant acting so superior to these people who could help get your family into the White House? You think it helps your dad for you to sneer and snicker?" And then toss him back down in the chair on the bus with that other little snot, the curly-haired guy. Those two were the filling in loose meat sandwiches.

Iowans expect to get a lot of ribbing every four years when campaigns move through, and nobody takes it personally, but the show's handling of this really was unforgiveably predictable. Where did the good writers go? What happened? They take the low road with everything these days! 

• Love 3

I don't know why Alicia is blaming Eli for her "missed" opportunity with Will. She had a lot of chances when they on again off again. He even told her about the phone message he left her. And every time he tried to get closer, she pulled away (ex. didn't want her kids to meet him). She has only herself to blame.

That only scene with Lucca on the phone with Alicia seems like they are starting to phase her out of sharing scenes with Alicia. JM doesn't seem to like to do scenes with women a lot or at least she does very limited number of scenes.Is she worried that she's going to be outshined by another actress? The scene with Ruth was only necessary because, they're in a bus and Alicia has few places to hide/pout and maybe Ruth was the voice of the audience telling her to grow up.

This has been a bad year for Eli. Is this a sign that Alan Cummings is on the way out?

Edited by redfish
  • Love 3

I don't think I've ever checked the clock as many times with an episode of this show as with this episode - just awful all around for all the reasons already mentioned.

Just two questions: I assume we should think that Alicia out of spite tanked Peter's campaign by voting for Ruth's strategy at the beginning. But would it really have made that much of a difference?

And what was it with that chat between Luca and Jason? Since when are these two so chummy? It sounded as if they know each other for ages yet I thought Luca met Jason via Alicia? Did I miss something?

• Love 3

I think the writing has been very bad since March of last year. Like they decided to switch their storyboards and throw things in the air. They've got 11 weeks left. I don't see a renewal when they can barely scratch up a 1 rating.

So basically they've got US attorney Matt Morrison coming in to investigate and perhaps prosecute the Florricks. Could he be Jason's real boss? So we'll deal with the voting machine scandal. Alicia will be hurt again. Somehow Jason will protect her from further prosecutorial hell. She'll divorce Peter, go on a tropical vacation with Jason and all will be right with the world.

Somewhere in there Grace graduates high school. Jackie and Howard marry. Alicia and Lucca become partners with Diane and Cary. Peter goes back to jail. Eli doesn't.

That is totally yuck.

• Love 2

I could only get through the first half and had to turn it off. It was just awful!! Being a resident of Iowa, I was completely turned off how they represented the state. It's less than a 2.5 drive from Chicago to Iowa and when you cross the river into Iowa, there are actual cities. No, they are not Los Angeles, but they aren't TinyTowns either. Yes, there are rural areas, but we huge towns too. And the loose meat sandwich?? Seriously?? This show really has gone downhill. It pretty much sucks at this point! Okay, rant over.

To be fair, the show did have Josh and Eli say that they should be in Des Moines and driving around to tiny rural counties to complete a political stunt only idiots like Ted Willoughby and the Florrick superfan would like was a big waste of time. 

The rest of it was the standard making fun of voters the show does. I'm not sure we're supposed to think that Iowans are dumb hicks who only care about trivia and want to be pandered to, as much as all voters are dumb hicks who only care about trivia and want to be pandered to. 

• Love 3

I assume we should think that Alicia out of spite tanked Peter's campaign by voting for Ruth's strategy at the beginning. But would it really have made that much of a difference?

I don't think Alicia voted with Ruth to tank the campaign, I think that was just a fuck you to Eli. But I agree that it seemed by the end that neither method would have vaulted him over O'Malley.

Edited by ktwo
  • Love 3

FINALLY this campaign story is over. Can we move on now? Please? Also, Alicia has reactions that no human person would have. Sometimes I feel like there is going to be some kind of twist ending where Alicia was a robot this whole time, and this has all been an elaborate prank by Eli. I mean, pulling out dishes and throwing them at a guy? Dear God lady!

When did Zach become such a little shit? And what was the point of that? Like, "those dumb Iowa people, am I right?" or was it "That stupid Zach, no wonder he isn't on the show anymore, am I right?" I do not get it. 

I love Character Actress Margo Martindale, but her character here just never gelled. I hope she has been retired for the foreseeable future. 

Can we be done with election story lines, and the awkward racism stuff? 

• Love 5