Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Well, yeah. Dogs are omnivores like humans. They need a balanced diet. Cats are obligate carnivores and can live well without grains.

True, my late cat was diabetic so I  was extra careful not to give him grains.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Ree is having Purina make her "homemade" dog treats when most of her dishes on TV would qualify as dog food.  On the other hand, feeding those dishes to dogs might result in someone contacting the humane society.  I love animals and can't stand to see abusive treatment of them, especially not by Ree.  I guess if the dogs of the world go on a hunger strike we'll know why.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I was watching a rerun the other day that I hadn’t seen. She was making beef in pastry. The beef mixture she stuffed it with looked ok (although I would add and doctor it more), but what got me was that she used rolled out dinner rolls as the pastry. Were they the come in a can that pops kind or did she flatten frozen ones? Better yet, does anyone know a better ingredient? 

I don't recall ever seeing that episode, but if Ree was trying to make something like Beef Welington, she should have used puff pastry. Not only does puff pastry give a more elegant appearance to the dish, but it also puff up and seals around the meat.  I can't even imagine what she was trying to copy make.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

I don't recall ever seeing that episode, but if Ree was trying to make something like Beef Welington, she should have used puff pastry. Not only does puff pastry give a more elegant appearance to the dish, but it also puff up and seals around the meat.  I can't even imagine what she was trying to copy make.

Her version of a Cornish pasty or empanadas. 

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Lura said:

when most of her dishes on TV would qualify as dog food

You are exactly right Lura, her food is crap. I was just watching Martha Bakes and she is the master of all masters. And she explains things so well. I just started looking at the "daily mail" and saw an article about Camp Pendelton.  Their logo is the same as the Drummond ranch logo. Camp Pendelton was a private cattle ranch before being sold to the military, and their branding symbol was the same as the Drummond Ranch symbol (Ree wears a baseball cap with that sign on it). Camp Pendelton apparently adopted (kept) that symbol and it is on the sign leading into the base. Kind of weird. I know cattle have to be branded or they risk being stolen. Feel sorry for the animals though.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lura said:

..when most of her dishes on TV would qualify as dog food. 

Hee, so true.  Dog food with a whole buncha mismatched flavors.  I bet my dog would turn up her nose.  But then I would never spend a dime on her crap, food or otherwise.

• Love 2

This is late, but I watched this show and was aghast at the vegetable dish. Ree prepared broccolini and used SOY SAUCE to flavor/season it. Then, she made a quick faux alfredo sauce that was laden with butter and heavy cream as the DIPPING SAUCE. GAH!! "Sullen" (aka Bryce) was conspicuously absent to taste the final result.

This stupid quesadilla/pizza mashup was nothing more than a riff on deep dish/stuffed crust pizza --only with tortillas. Yawn ... 

• Love 1

Watched her "5 Ingredients Meals" today - I would actually eat the Teriyaki Salmon as it was kept fairly simple and not fouled with hot sauce, chili powder, pico de gallo, etc.  The rest of the dishes (sheet pan steak, midnight toast) didn't grab me.

It annoyed me how she added (again) that her husband and sons would not touch eat that salmon meal with her.   Ree seems to say it like "my men are quirky!".  I see it as them having created a weird line of "man" food vs "female food" that feels so passive-aggressive.  *It's probably not that deep, but who knows...

• Love 5

The Cavalcade episode aired again this morning.  The scenes they showed confirm my belief that growing up in Pawhuska would have been my personal teen living nightmare.  The only thing worse would have been growing up as Giada’s daughter.  I know myself very well; I would have been on my third nervous breakdown by the age of 13.  My thoughts are with you, Jade.

The “recipes” are getting more basic with each season.  Sautéing pineapple?  Grilling chunks of beef?  Toasting coconut?  Skewering lobster?  Ooookay, Ree.  

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Love 4

Welcome to the board, Suzy Rhapsody!  Love that name.  I didn't know whether to give a heart or a laugh to your post because you had me laughing and agreeing most of the way through it!  God forbid that either one of us had been raised by Ree OR Giada.  At least Jade is blessed to live with her father.  

I hope you'll keep your comments coming.  If they're anything like this one, they'll be fun to read.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lura said:

Welcome to the board, Suzy Rhapsody!  Love that name.  I didn't know whether to give a heart or a laugh to your post because you had me laughing and agreeing most of the way through it!  God forbid that either one of us had been raised by Ree OR Giada.  At least Jade is blessed to live with her father.  

I hope you'll keep your comments coming.  If they're anything like this one, they'll be fun to read.

Why, thank you, @Lura!  I pop in and out here and there on this board when my loathing for this woman reaches fever pitch and I have to vent, but I couldn’t pass up commenting on that Cavalcade/barn dance.  I would have taken the first bus to the East Coast on my 18th birthday if I’d grown up in Pawhuska!

So, wait a minute, Jade lives with her dad?! (I don’t want to get too far off-topic here, but just had to ask.  I’ll Google it, too.)

On 9/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, patty1h said:

It annoyed me how she added (again) that her husband and sons would not touch eat that salmon meal with her.   Ree seems to say it like "my men are quirky!".  I see it as them having created a weird line of "man" food vs "female food" that feels so passive-aggressive.  *It's probably not that deep, but who knows...

I understand allergies and aversions to certain ingredients, but food snobbery (towards the most basic to most refined items) is annoying in real life and absolutely a creative killer for an actual cooking show. The idea of "cowgirl food" numbs me. Why should I get stuck with quinoa?

I don't get how this is the same blogger who had a somewhat corny but very likable enthusiasm for garlic and butter. When Drummond used inferior ingredients back then, she attributed it to lack of selection in her area. Now crap seems to be the norm. I find myself almost irrationally hostile at all the money there is to be made from mediocrity. The Drummonds are already wealthy and PW raised that level significantly, but now let's throw a label on lesser-quality dog food & frozen meals to squeeze out a few dollars more.

I know FN has some need to fixate on Personalities, but I miss the lazy afternoons watching Michele Urvater or David Rosengarten (who bugged but at least you always learned something). And if the network wanted more livey personalities why not stick to the level of chef talent like Too Hot Tamales? Even the folks who didn't have big careers could be interesting to watch - I still dream of a potato recipe Amy Finley made years ago on her short-lived show.

• Love 3

Ree's show, for reasons that elude me, is always one of the top 3 rated shows on FN. As long as that's the case, FN is not going to ask her to change nor is her show in danger of going away. PW is a cash cow (excuse the pun) for FN.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

The Brady Bunch episode was every bit as bad as we all expected. Ree was a gushing fan-girling hot mess. I have to say that I've never gotten emotionally attached to a TV show, well, maybe except when I was 3-4 and watched "Lassie." 

Right off the bat, we were treated to an "Oh, my gosh!" counter that ticked off every time Ree said that. Super annoying. 

I thought the house reno was cool and the attention to detail stellar.  Ree was a poor excuse of a tour guide because in every room, she had to show an old clip of a special memory that particular room held for her. She also seemed obsessed with Marcia and named the dessert after her, "Marcia-Mallow Pie," which was every bit as disgusting as you can imagine. (I also wondered if Ree was aware that Maureen McCormick has somehow mysteriously been appointed to the ranks of baking competition judges -- yeah, WTF? -- and it was a secret shout-out? 

The stand alone was "Greg's Groovy Green Beans." So, I guess it's OK for a fictitious male TV character to eat vegetables. There were green beans in butter and lemon juice, which would have been fine. But ... Ree made a topping of sauteed peppers, onions and sliced almonds. THEN, she mixed mayo and sriracha and lemon juice to serve over all of that. THEN, more lemon juice.

Ree's dinner guest was the lead designer of the reno, and I've already forgotten her name. They made awkward small talk and drank wine and ate appetizers of stuffed olives and cream cheese that looked like they'd be perfect for an ingredient in a "Chopped" Halloween mystery basket.

Bottom line: You didn't miss anything. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Wow, does anyone actually like the Pioneer woman? I've never seen her show, but read the comments here because the snark has to be more delicious than the gross food y'all describe. 😎

Considering she has the 2nd highest rated show on FN with consistently over 1 million viewers, I'd say she has plenty of fans. She's FN's cash cow, (pun intended).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Wow, does anyone actually like the Pioneer woman? I've never seen her show, but read the comments here because the snark has to be more delicious than the gross food y'all describe. 😎

Anyone who is a big fan of Pioneer Woman isn't going to post here.  I don't get the hate directed towards this woman, the snark, sure, I get it.  The hate?  Not so much.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think hate is a strong word. I don't remember anyone say they "hate" her. I don't care for her, made it through 5 minutes of her show once, and found it unwatchable. I think she's a hack, and she is definitely not my cup of tea. Just because I don't care for her or her show means I "hate" her.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I think hate is a strong word. I don't remember anyone say they "hate" her. I don't care for her, made it through 5 minutes of her show once, and found it unwatchable. I think she's a hack, and she is definitely not my cup of tea. Just because I don't care for her or her show means I "hate" her.

Ditto.  She's a total hack and a fake pioneer.  Putting herself out there as a lil old country gal and passing off her high calorie, high fat, horrendous recipes as cooking are both invitations for lots of snark.

• Love 10

She's a pioneer like I'm a supermodel. And alas, I am no supermodel.  However, I learned to cook from my mom and whatever cooking shows were on at the time. Did she even research food trends from that era to see what we might have dropped on the ubiquitous shag carpet?  Methinks not.

• Love 5

I just watched the bodacious burger episode and it really pissed me off.  I shot a note to The Food Network.  Either the Food Network or the Cooking Channel have a show highlighting completely outrageous meals and now Ree is copying that?  The burger was at least 6 inches high, 2 patties, bacon, Mac n cheese, etc.  Are we supposed to take her seriously after this? 

I admire how she has revitalized a town but she is completely overexposed.  When I see her ranch dressing in a store, I walk by in my head saying "As if."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:
6 hours ago, albarino said:

Either the Food Network or the Cooking Channel have a show highlighting completely outrageous meals and now Ree is copying that?

She's a shoe-in for Worst Cooks in America.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I can't stand her and that was totally stupid.

Everything she does is too much.  Too many toppings, too large a serving, too many disparate ingredients that clash flavor-wise, too much emphasis on boy vs. girl food, just too much.  And WAY too much with that frozen smile. Ugh.

• Love 7

Anyone who is a big fan of Pioneer Woman isn't going to post here.  I don't get the hate directed towards this woman, the snark, sure, I get it.  The hate?  Not so much.

I definitely don't hate her, as I do not hate Sandra Lee or Rachael Ray or any of the other snarkable ladies of the Food Network. I like to think that Ree is a nice person. Obviously her family cares a lot for her. But there is a thin haze of phoniness about her that brings out the inner Holden Caulfield in me. Some of her recipes look good, but most of what she cooks just looks like an excuse to open a can of soup and and add a buncha cilantro and jalapenos.

• Love 2
On 9/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, chessiegal said:

I think hate is a strong word. I don't remember anyone say they "hate" her.

Then you haven't been reading the same threads I have!  She's been accused of everything short of masterminding the Lindbergh kidnapping.  Some people here - and out in the wide world of the Internet - deeply detest her and aren't afraid to give reasons, both real and imagined as to why.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

Then you haven't been reading the same threads I have!  She's been accused of everything short of masterminding the Lindbergh kidnapping.  Some people here - and out in the wide world of the Internet - deeply detest her and aren't afraid to give reasons, both real and imagined as to why.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never read anyone on this thread (Primetimer PW threads) say they "hate" PW. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe I missed it, but I've never read anyone on this thread (Primetimer PW threads) say they "hate" PW. 

Neither have I.  She's certainly snark-worthy in a  million different ways, though.

• Love 5

I don’t think I’ve ever had so much fun disliking (not hating; no one is worthy of that) someone in my life.  Today’s episode was yet another self-congratulatory smorgasbord of crappy, dump-and-stir food.  She was “showing her appreciation” to the curator of the historical Drummond home.  The house is actually on the OK historic registry.  Okay, FINE, it’s a window into the past and the way we used to do things, but come on.  Also, I happened to watch today’s episode from a chair that’s much closer to the TV.  I couldn’t help but notice that she has had a lot more “work” done.  Her mouth kind of moves when she talks, but that’s about it.  She’s starting to get that perpetually shocked look that so many Botox devotees have.  Lay off the fillers, heifer (sorry, couldn’t resist).

The Brady Bunch episode was just embarrassing to watch.  There’s no other way I can think of to describe it.  I don’t know who is coming up with these ideas.  If she had made sheet pan, freezer-stocking, cowboy-friendly, 16-minute Brady Bunch-themed meals, I think I would have hurled my television out the living room window right there on the spot.

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Love 2
On 10/16/2019 at 5:22 PM, chessiegal said:

Seriously?  Maybe the actual word "hate" isn't used but let's be real here almost without exception everyone posting in this thread is doing so because they hate-watch this show and its host.  Which is fine, don't get it myself but we all have a hobby.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3

I watched Ree cooking in the "Brady Bunch" kitchen and now I wish I hadn't because it made me unreasonably angry. There was something deeply disturbing about seeing her in that kitchen. Probably because she's looking more and more like Pennywise the Clown these days with her garish red hair and weird overly stretched face. When she opened the fridge I half expected to see Alice's severed head in there.

Those olive and cream cheese appetizers were appalling even by 70s standards. Greg's Groovy Green Beans or whatever she called them looked gross.

• Love 2

Her daughter Paige was arrested for public intoxication and possession of alcohol by a minor. Ree and Ladd must have thrown some big bucks for a good lawyer because the charges are being expunged and the fine will only be $404.50.  

This isn’t Rees first rodeo with a teen going rebellious in college. Her sister Alex was also had an arrest warrant for failure to appear in court for a traffic violation (proof of insurance). Then photos surfaced of her chugging beers at Texas A&M. 

Paige is now taking a month to work at a Christian camp in Missouri. She sounds like a Duggar with all of her Jesus speak. 

I think there are a lot of "above" the law items committed by various Drummonds. From what I've heard - they run that town. 

I bought her book - I stopped being a fan when I heard that she really didn't come from "humble" beginnings and that most if not all of her "recipes" are from Junior League cookbooks.

I saw that she is hawking frozen foods now. lol  

I have made that root beer float pie before and the recipe I used was from 12 Tomatoes. The difference is that the 12 Tomatoes recipe called for Cool Whip, whereas Ree used whipped cream. I actually use Tru Whip, which you can get a health food grocery stores. It's made of natural ingredients and not chemicals.

Regardless, nothing will save that terrible pie. What ruins it is the root beer extract. I used the same kind Ree used, which is from Watkins. It adds a nasty, bitter chemical taste to the pie. It's kind of a Catch-22 because if you use more root beer, you'll get a watery soggy pie, but the bottle drink alone just doesn't add enough root beer flavor. The only thing I could thing of to do might be to boil down a bottle of root beer into a syrup and use that. Or ... I am sure there is probably some root beer type liquor out there but that is more in Aunt Sandy's wheelhouse.

Actually, it's not worth the time, trouble or expense to try to make it again and doctor it up to taste better. 

No words for that awful jalapeno popper casserole. I hate jalapeno poppers anyway and certainly would not eat a deconstructed version disguised as a casserole.  I also don't think that kids would enjoy that no matter how much Ree tried to tone down the spice. Ugh.

I did think that making the pretzel rolls was interesting and I did not know that alkaline water was what you used to boil pretzels and bagels. Learned something new.

When I was about 4-5 back in the early 60s, my parents built a new bigger house, so our old house was sold and relocated about 10 miles to the west. I don't remember much about it, but moving a house isn't some 21st century engineering and transportation feat. 

Still ... that was WAY more interesting than the cooking portion of the show.

• Love 1

Charlize, among other things, you answered one of my biggest questions about the pie recipe: the inclusion of the root beer extract.  When Ree added it, I gasped, "Oh no," fearing that it would overwhelm the filling.  Thanks for a complete and informative review.  Brava!

• Love 1
On 9/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, Kohola3 said:

Ditto.  She's a total hack and a fake pioneer.  Putting herself out there as a lil old country gal and passing off her high calorie, high fat, horrendous recipes as cooking are both invitations for lots of snark.

Isn't she from California originally?

No. Ree is a native of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. She went to college in Los Angeles. She was home on a break and was going to move to Chicago to attend law school, then that fateful night when she met Ladd intervened.  As they say ... "the rest is  history ... "

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, MrsClaus said:

Ree a lawyer?  Oh dear, that's hard to imagine

Yeah, no never going to have happened...my guess college and whatever she did after was "perfect husband" search time.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 5