Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

That carrot cake bread pudding was a carbs apocalypse with some carrot dusted on top, so you can pretend that it's healthy, y'all.  Ree's looked dense and gooey and wet, none of those in a good way.   I've made bread puddings and it's very hit and miss that it rarely comes out perfect - I've had ones that are too dry and too wet.  Not sure which is worse, but Ree's looked like too much liquid to the amount of bread.  Then the streusel, AND the glaze AND the maple syrup.   I got the shudders just thinking about all of that.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3

My jaw dropped when I saw that disaster of a breakfast. First, it was bread pudding, not French toast.  Sprinkling shredded carrots over the top didn't make it a "carrot cake." I would guess that being sprinkled over the top like that wouldn't really give the carrots a chance to soften up and would add a weird texture/taste to the final product. 

What was with the defensive posturing about glaze vs. frosting? Nobody is going to make that crappy recipe anyway, so WGAF? 

And of course, Ree always has to find an opportunity to turn something into a "meal kit" when it really doesn't need to be.

• Love 2

I like carrot cake. I like bread pudding. I like french toast. I do not like them all mixed together. Even when on Prednisone and ready to eat anything that's not nailed down, I would not eat that carrot cake french toast thing.

• Love 4

Lol, my cat is on Prednisone for her inner ear infection (the one that we thought had dementia) she wants to eat all the time. If I go into the kitchen for any reason she's on me like white on rice. That recipe for whatever it was wasn't French toast that's for sure.

• Love 3

The corn chowder didn't look too bad, except for the bacon.  She sauteed it in the pot, but not to crispness - it still looked soft and flabby when she stirred in the rest of the ingredients.  I've never eaten a dish with bacon prepared like that, so I'm wondering if this works.   Does the bacon get cooked enough so that it's not noticeable as fatty, rubbery bits?

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, patty1h said:

The corn chowder didn't look too bad, except for the bacon.  She sauteed it in the pot, but not to crispness - it still looked soft and flabby when she stirred in the rest of the ingredients.  I've never eaten a dish with bacon prepared like that, so I'm wondering if this works.   Does the bacon get cooked enough so that it's not noticeable as fatty, rubbery bits?

Not unless the dish was baked for a while afterward. And even the it would not be crispy, just chewy and the fat bits would get caught in your teeth.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, patty1h said:

She sauteed it in the pot, but not to crispness - it still looked soft and flabby when she stirred in the rest of the ingredients. 

OK, that made me gag just reading it.  It will never crisp up, just stay chewing and slimy.  Blech.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, Bessiesue said:

That carrot cake toast casserole was one whale of a hot mess.  I truly believe if we do not see her/family/cowboys eat, it all goes into the trash.  After some research:

There is such a thing as a carrot cake french toast in a town about 2 hours outside of College Station:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Carrot-Cake-French-Toast/

The casserole and the instructables recipe was disgusting.

20 hours ago, patty1h said:

<Gag!>

How hard is it to cook bacon until it's browned and the fat is rendered?

Try doing one thing well for a change of pace, you lazy cow!

• Love 3

I just saw this bint make quesadillas using two huge two inch thick rib eye steaks. They were huge, like twice the size of her forehead. So that’s like $100 of meat for quesadillas? I don’t give a shit that they were for two fencin’, fixin’, workin’ cowboys, that’s a waste of good meat. And then she made something using two bottles of Kraft ranch dressing. 

• Love 3

Is it truly sad that Martina McBride has 3-4 shows now, and she has out-cooked/out camera presence Ree.

The Cajun hollandaise looked so nasty, but the salad looked good.  My husband and I did chuckle over the use of the romaine with all of the recalls.  

• Love 1

Is Martina's show any good? I didn't bother as I saw the intro and thought it seemed like a direct rip-off of Trisha Yearwood. Why do TWO country singers need cooking shows? Trisha is no Ina Garten, but at least she is bearable to watch. I stopped watching her show a couple of years ago. I see bits of it occasionally in passing.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

Is Martina's show any good? by CharlizeCat

So far we really enjoy her.  Her recipes thus far are not pop a can like Trish, and are very easy to prepare.  We made her broccoli and cauliflower salad, and I bought the ingredients to make her PB incredibles, green beans, and romaine salad.  It is nice to see someone as not into her husband being on her show like Martina.  She has had her daughters, and her husband, but they are not as in your face like Ree and Trish.  I know Trish gets a lot of flack about her show, but I do love the fact that she takes pride in sharing her late parents recipes.  She talks of her parents often in a positive light, unlike Ree who always appears to have something sarcastic to say about her Mom's cooking.  Speaking of family:  What happened to Mike.  We have not seen him in almost three years. 

Back to Ree:  I know she took a massive hit on her pie show, but we really enjoyed the strawberry and grasshopper pie.  The apple pie looked really good, but we are not that into apples.  Her apple dumplings with the mountain dew is truly amazing.  I use the puff pastry instead of the crescent rolls, and cut the sugar in half.  I still love her earlier Christmas shows.  Seeing the entire family getting together, and her food almost normal.  

Has anyone tried her flour icing recipe?  I really thought she made up the recipe, but after google searches, it truly is a real thing.

• Love 2
On 11/21/2018 at 6:34 PM, BTBAM310 said:

That's a good one, too. Forgot about that one.

Another one that gets me is when she says one fourth instead of a quarter.

On the comfort food episode, she said "A cup and and a fourth" of something - IT'S "ONE AND A QUARTER CUPS" YOU NITWIT!

And yes, I quoted myself :)

Edited by BTBAM310
  • Love 2
On 12/10/2018 at 6:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

Not unless the dish was baked for a while afterward. And even the it would not be crispy, just chewy and the fat bits would get caught in your teeth.

I make corn chowder a lot, and the bacon has to be done perfectly before any liquid is added.  It 'be rubbery, and it also can't be too crispy.  It's a very fine line to get it done just right.  I adore corn chowder, and mine is extremely fattening.  Lots of heavy cream at the very end, but yum!

• Love 2

I have been a longtime reader, but this is the first time that I am commenting.  It was very difficult to find this, but I am glad that I did.  I was  worried that the thread was discontinued due to pressure from Ree or her family.  I hope that this is not the case.

• Love 2

I wouldn't read any conspiracy theories into why it's so hard to get to this thread. After reading more on why things are changing, all of PYV forums are moving to a new software platform, with having "Topics" rather than forums.

• Love 1

I'm not sure why this got "demoted" since there is pretty much daily activity on it.  But guess we can't do much about it.  Just a little harder to find it to add snark.  I am hoping we get a custom home page back to we can have easier access to our favorites.  It's really not clear right now what they are up to!

• Love 3
On 12/21/2018 at 1:33 PM, barbarag said:

I was  worried that the thread was discontinued due to pressure from Ree or her family.  I hope that this is not the case.

I think it's more likely that Ree would have a royal fit to think she's been downgraded!

• Love 4

I don't mind the re-org too much but it seems short sighted to condense this into one topic.  I feel like at the very least we should have kept two sub-forums, one for the show itself and one for successes and failures in trying her recipes.  I'm betting having it all in a single forum is going to get really cluttered.  Guess time will tell.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I'm betting having it all in a single forum is going to get really cluttered.  Guess time will tell.

I have to agree.  There were small talk sections that didn't reference her at all.  Guess we will have to drop those.

• Love 3

Hi everyone. I hate this new reorganization. Reducing forums into topics is a great way to cause bloated topics with hundreds of pages and will discourage new readers or anybody who has fallen behind on a topic.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I wonder if there is a way to appeal this designation.  Some really old shows have little traffic but didn't get bumped.

Agree. I'm not sure, but can we do other Pioneer Woman "topics" as I see at the top of this page where it says create new topic?

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Agree. I'm not sure, but can we do other Pioneer Woman "topics" as I see at the top of this page where it says create new topic?

I don't know because I have no idea what the new version will look like once it's launched. I think that will be the second or third week in January from what I can tell.  Let's hope.

2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I don't know because I have no idea what the new version will look like once it's launched. I think that will be the second or third week in January from what I can tell.  Let's hope.

Yeah, I was thinking to wait until we get customized home pages back to do requests for changes or try additions.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

But ... if we create a buncha new topics, within Pioneer Woman, won't that defeat the purpose of having a topic-only forum???? I'm afraid I don't understand.

I'm not sure anyone understands at this point.  Best to wait until the launch and we can go from there.

• Love 3

Each letter now has a generic "Other" Forum, which is where all shows that are a single topic are housed.  You can start a new Topic, but it's meant for starting a Topic for a new show that doesn't already exist, not a Topic for an existing show (one of the postings about the changes states that a new Topic should only have the show name).    

Topic?  Has anyone seen The Pioneer Woman  prepared meals at Wal-Mart?   I don't shop there a lot so maybe they've been around for a while.  I saw bacon meatloaf, fried chicken, smothered chicken and either chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken.   I didn't think her merchandise was a big enough seller for Wal-Mart to make them willing to branch out into food with her.   

For what it's worth I posted a question re: an appeal process to have this upgraded to a forum and also asked about what would happen if we tried to add a new topic. I will let you know what I hear.  They are answering questions every couple of days.

• Love 6

Here's some happier news ... I received a very brief email from Lura.   Some family came to visit her and her husband last month, which she enjoyed very much. Sounds like she's still recuperating, so we might not see her back here quite as soon as we hoped. I sent her detailed instructions on how to find us when she's ready. Maybe by then, things will be more sorted out here, so it will be easier to navigate the topics.  She's hanging in there, though!

• Love 7

Hello!

Thought I'd pop by with some guidance as change is always unsettling (which we fully understand). The quickest and most straightforward way to keep track of this show topic is to add it to your followed content. You can do this by clicking the bell icon to the left of the topic title up top and selecting the notification type that suits your requirements. 

Please note the re-org is still a work in progress which means that many letter categories have yet to undergo changes, this accounts for any forums that appear to not have been condensed thus far. Once the Customised Homepage (CHP) is rebuilt (eta Jan/Feb) it will use your followed content to populate your personal CHP which will make finding your selected forums/topics easy. 

Thanks.

• Love 1

And here's the response I got directly from SilverStormm.  I asked about the possibility of a review as this was an active forum and about creating new topics.

A review may be requested but the likelihood is that it will stay as it is unless we missed something. That isn't the case here; the reality is 99.9% of discussion took place within only 2 topics, therefore, moving to a single topic was a logical choice.

If a forum has been condensed to a single topic no further topics will be permitted for that show. The new topic creation function is for topics for other shows.

58 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And here's the response I got directly from SilverStormm.  I asked about the possibility of a review as this was an active forum and about creating new topics.

A review may be requested but the likelihood is that it will stay as it is unless we missed something. That isn't the case here; the reality is 99.9% of discussion took place within only 2 topics, therefore, moving to a single topic was a logical choice.

If a forum has been condensed to a single topic no further topics will be permitted for that show. The new topic creation function is for topics for other shows.

I find the logic slightly skewed and the number-crunching (percentage) a bit off as clearly it was an active forum.  All rather odd.   And it will create knotted knitting in terms of one "page" for comments which inevitably aren't/won't be inter-related.  Not sure I can be bothered to continue.  Which is a shame, as I have really enjoyed my short time within the PW thread: very amusing , entertaining AND enlightening exchanges. And, most importantly, some lovely people contributing!

Edited by Mandolia
  • Love 4