Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I hear you all the way on that one, peacheslatour! Sadly, our dear Ina seems to be the culprit behind igniting the prairie fire (clever!) trend of having to have a "theme" to every episode. I've both read and heard that Ina insisted that her shows have a story to them -- beginning, middle and end. It's also interesting that Pacific Productions produces both Ina's and Ree's shows, so you can be certain they are masterful at spinning the narrative, I suppose.

I'd also prefer seeing the person simply preparing the dishes. I suppose it would be OK to occasionally mention that they're fixing a meal for a special occasion and have the guest/recipient pop in or something. Otherwise, it's distracting and there is no need for a cooking show to become its own mini-series with a regular cast of characters and an ongoing plot.

• Love 5

I hear you all the way on that one, peacheslatour! Sadly, our dear Ina seems to be the culprit behind igniting the prairie fire (clever!) trend of having to have a "theme" to every episode. I've both read and heard that Ina insisted that her shows have a story to them -- beginning, middle and end. It's also interesting that Pacific Productions produces both Ina's and Ree's shows, so you can be certain they are masterful at spinning the narrative, I suppose.

I'd also prefer seeing the person simply preparing the dishes. I suppose it would be OK to occasionally mention that they're fixing a meal for a special occasion and have the guest/recipient pop in or something. Otherwise, it's distracting and there is no need for a cooking show to become its own mini-series with a regular cast of characters and an ongoing plot.

Sing it, Sister!

• Love 1

I fondly remember Julia Child's "And Company" series in which she cooked a meal around a particular theme or food.  At the end of the show she'd bring the finished meal into her insanely seventies era dining room and serve it up to the camera without a guest in sight.

• Love 2
(edited)

The first episode this morning made me wonder how much butter Ree goes through in a day. It was the 16 minute meals all day long or something stupid like that and one segment was for "Pawhuska Cheesteaks" where she added butter to re-heat the deli beef, more butter for the veggies and then "took the rest of the butter" over to her grill pan to slather it on to three tiny rolls so she could heat them up.

A whole stick of butter for three of those nasty Cheesteaks.... wow, just wow.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 3

The first episode this morning made me wonder how much butter Ree goes through in a day. It was the 16 minute meals all day long or something stupid like that and one segment was for "Pawhuska Cheesteaks" where she added butter to re-heat the deli beef, more butter for the veggies and then "took the rest of the butter" over to her grill pan to slather it on to three tiny rolls so she could heat them up.

I just love to read the reviews on FN.  They LOVE this sandwich.  One reviewer proclaims that she/he has been "Gourmified."  I think the word they were truly searching for was "Lobotomized."

When you think of a really great cheese steak, made with paper thin rib eye, and then you contrast it to Ree's which is probably made from some package of Hillshire Farms deli roast beef that was packaged in 2013, you have to weep a little, right?

Poor, poor Pawhuskans.  

• Love 5

Yeah, but you are talking about someone who uses one pound of beef and one pound of sausage (!) to make 3 burgers! Plus a ton of cheese on each! Plus a ton of other stuff ... all right. I am done.

• Love 4

NOt to mention her travesty that she called "falafel".  I've probably eaten my weight in falafel over the years, and I've made my own.  The proper way to make falafel is to use uncooked soaked chickpeas, and Ree could have cooked some of the chickpeas and made hummus (which she also mispronounced, but that's not a surprise).  Ree's falafel balls were too round, too smooth and not brown enough.  I'm sure with the chipotle tahini they tasted just like cow patties.  So I'm not sure why Ladd and the kids wouldn't give them a try.  And I've never seen spring mix and shredded carrots on a falafel sandwich.  Why not shredded iceberg for crunch and pickled turnips to cut the richness?  Oh, why am I even asking?  This is a woman who thinks falafel hails from NYC and not the Middle East.  The lights are on, but ain't nobody home......

• Love 4

NOt to mention her travesty that she called "falafel".  I've probably eaten my weight in falafel over the years, and I've made my own.  The proper way to make falafel is to use uncooked soaked chickpeas, and Ree could have cooked some of the chickpeas and made hummus (which she also mispronounced, but that's not a surprise).  Ree's falafel balls were too round, too smooth and not brown enough.  I'm sure with the chipotle tahini they tasted just like cow patties.  So I'm not sure why Ladd and the kids wouldn't give them a try.  And I've never seen spring mix and shredded carrots on a falafel sandwich.  Why not shredded iceberg for crunch and pickled turnips to cut the richness?  Oh, why am I even asking?  This is a woman who thinks falafel hails from NYC and not the Middle East.  The lights are on, but ain't nobody home......

I agree, her use of canned chickpeas is 20 kinds of wrong in that recipe.  And as much as I laugh at her referring to falafel only as NY street food I've always believed her failure to associate falafel with its Middle Eastern origin in that episode is to avoid any risk of offending some in her fan base.  

• Love 2
(edited)

And as much as I laugh at her referring to falafel only as NY street food I've always believed her failure to associate falafel with its Middle Eastern origin in that episode is to avoid any risk of offending some in her fan base.

Never thought of that - I'm a liberal Jewish Canadian woman and am probably not Ree's target audience. Oh well.

Edited by IOU Payne
  • Love 1

I really hope that's not the case with Ree, IOU Payne, but she's not stupid and the omission of the cultural origin of the food seemed very strange to me.  If it was the case, I like to believe she underestimates her fan base at the expense of pandering to her PR/marketing people.

She simply refuses to brown anything - be it a steak, falafel, the top of a casserole etc.

I am also so over her throwing adobe, chipotle, and cillantro into so many things. Sorry for my spelling....not my fav ingredients.

Just like her overdoing desserts with carmel and chocolate sauce, nuts, sprinkles, and a cherry - all at the same time.

• Love 2

I don't recall the name of the show I watched yesterday, but Ree made a big Tex-Mex meal for Pa Pa and his fence crew.  The cooking was rushed because Ree made so many things, but she made them all from scratch, and they looked delicious.  I was impressed.  If Ree cooked meals like this one all the time, her shows would be 1000% better. 

I've come to the conclusion that The Pioneer Woman is a show for beginner cooks. Like maybe small children or those who have been living in the wilds of Siberia. If that is the case, then she teaching them wrong.  Mambo dog face in the banana patch.

• Love 3
I've come to the conclusion that The Pioneer Woman is a show for beginner cooks.

Those with decidedly low IQs that need a close up of a teaspoon of an ingredient being measured and then added to a bowl.  Next thing you know she will be demonstrating how to plug in the mixer.

Woe betide those who learn to cook her garbage.  Their children will be needing  coronary bypass surgery in their teens.

• Love 2
(edited)

She really pulled out all the stops in her "Tale of 4 Lunches."  I mean, she must have put a whole 20 minutes into planning this one!  A hamburger (lol), a tofu salad made with Mandarin oranges (Holy Mother of nasty textures), and a couple other things that seem worthy of exploration.

First, the roast beef sliders with her signature cacophony of LSD trip-inspired flavors - roast beef, pepper jack cheese, sauce one:  Miracle Whip (thought that stuff had been outlawed) mixed with hot sauce, and then sauce two:  butter (of course), lemon pepper, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.  Wow.  Then there was the method of assembly - throw all the bun bases in a foil pan, slop the first sauce over them, then cover all the buns with slices of meat (making sure that the slices cover multiple buns), then cover the meat with pepper jack cheese, then top the buns and drizzle with the toxic butter sauce and bake.  My first thought was that she had taken a moonlighting job as the house mom, cooking in some area frat house.  My second thought was a big "ewww," thinking of the filthy-handed cowboys having to tear those sandwiches apart from one another, given that the meat and cheese was basically one big congealed mass tying all the sandwiches together.

I think my brain spaced out a little during the boring marinated chicken breasts portion of the next recipe, but then I woke up to her kale salad and thought it didn't look too bad.  I don't think that jarred mangoes are the greatest thing to stand up to the texture of kale in a salad, but I realize she was mostly looking for an opportunity to use the mango juice in the dressing.  

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 3

Again Ree uses the halla-pen-yo's in the salad and sandwiches. Its right up there with Mars-capone in annoying pronunciations. 

I also highly doubt that Chuck, Ladd and the cowboys would need their smelling salts and fainting couches if they were served ham inside that Hawaiian sandwich. Ham actually might taste good inside that sandwich, assuming you were using a nice smokehouse ham or something. 

• Love 2

Am I wrong to have wished that when Ree started preparing the "Hawaiian sandwiches" that she'd broken out about six cans of Spam?

Why wasn't I surprised when the vegetarian lunch featured "GIRLS!" Bonus points to Paige for admitting that she doesn't like tofu.

How many pounds of ground beef were in TWO hamburgers. Ree must be really sucking up to Chuck to go to the trouble to fry two whole onion rings. /eyeroll.

Every frickin' recipe starts out with lime, chili powder, hot sauce and jalapenos. ENOUGH!

• Love 1

Those Hawaiian sandwiches reminded me of the Football Camp episode minutes the butter icky dressing on top....more burgers and well, more grasping.  

Reminds me of the Cowboy Josh/Paige? Alex? burger recipe? 2 pounds of ground beef for THREE burgers...good lord.

• Love 1

Some cardiac surgeon should set up shop nearby. And a gastroenterologist.  Just the thought of all of those horrible spices gives me heartburn.  Wallie World must sell Tums by the barrel down there.

Reminds me of the Cowboy Josh/Paige? Alex? burger recipe? 2 pounds of ground beef for THREE burgers...good lord.

I know, right???? Except it was even worse. 1 pound of ground beef AND 1 pound of sausage. PLUS a ton of cheese. PLUS pepperoni. PLUS buttered buns. All right. I have to stop now. *breathe in ... breathe out*

• Love 1

I know, right???? Except it was even worse. 1 pound of ground beef AND 1 pound of sausage. PLUS a ton of cheese. PLUS pepperoni. PLUS buttered buns. All right. I have to stop now. *breathe in ... breathe out*

Yes! This is the recipe..

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/supreme-pizza-burgers/

All that meat.sausage/cheese/butter..and canned mushrooms? Oh no...I refuse to even look at canned mushrooms..love fresh ones but the canned have that gross texture.  

After watching the bit with the hot hawaiian beef roll sandwich recipe I am no convinced she is trolling Pinterest for new recipe ideas.

• Love 2

Yes! This is the recipe..

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/supreme-pizza-burgers/

All that meat.sausage/cheese/butter..and canned mushrooms? Oh no...I refuse to even look at canned mushrooms..love fresh ones but the canned have that gross texture.  

After watching the bit with the hot hawaiian beef roll sandwich recipe I am no convinced she is trolling Pinterest for new recipe ideas.

I know I have said this before ... but I can't ... even ... it's just too, too much.

• Love 2

To which she will add some sort of spicy crap, butter, sugar, or cream (or some combination of all three) and claim it an original recipe of her own.

• Love 2

To which she will add some sort of spicy crap, butter, sugar, or cream (or some combination of all three) and claim it an original recipe of her own.

Yep! LOL 

I've never come across a recipe she makes that seems even a hair bit original..it's always a take off or well, idea stolen from somewhere else.

Plus, the whole scrumptious, delicious, divine bit should be made into a drinking game. We'd all be toasted by 11am lol

I know I have said this before ... but I can't ... even ... it's just too, too much.

I agree! My husband would not eat any of that. He does love his meat and potatoes but we trying to eat healthy as possible. It's ok to indulge but some of her recipes are like a months worth of fat, sugar and salt lol

• Love 2

I truly wish we had a nutritionist on the forum who could analyze some of the worst recipes and post the results.  I bet the fat and carb results per serving would be staggering.

Kohola, I've done it to quite a few of her recipes and shared the results here.  Just plug the recipe into a recipe builder - and the results are there.

• Love 1

I swear the season before last she was getting recipes from the can and doing her own warped form of slash on them. Going down the aisle of the canned goods she would find something that had more than one recipe on it and then put the two together.  More than once the common theme was the canned item but the array of things added did not go together.  But I think she thought since the two were using the same item in the can they must also go with each other.

While she has always been heavy on the butter and cream etc. it seems it is this last season where she has amped it up.   I wonder if it is in reaction to online horror -- she strikes me as one of those people you would say it isn't wise to do something and she would do just because she could.  That or she is tired of her marriage but doesn't want to deal with the hassle of a divorce and thinks it is time to send her stallion to the glue factory the coronary way.

• Love 6

And we have to keep reminding ourselves, she has no palate. None. 

Yes, of course, only Californians had tofu in the 90s. 

Wow, Page has gotten so very tall. 

Can someone explain why you'd try and take the marinade OFF the tofu? 

OK, here's something that is just from my upbringing, I guess. ALL this long hair dangling while cooking - put it in ponytail! Keep it up! 

I see there are King's Hawaiian commercials during this episode. 

"The traditional filing is ham, but hey, this is a beef ranch." So why do you make pasta and seafood, too? Guess you can't use bacon, either.

Pepperjack cheese? Oh yeah, that's Hawaiian.

I have to laugh at her embracing kale for its health benefits. Laugh a lot.

I can see why the taste of kale doesn't matter in this salad. There's no way she can taste it after all the stuff she put into it.

NO PALATE. 

• Love 5

ok watching her "Dear Pioneer Woman" episode now, LOLing. 

There's the shrimp. And she cooks it before the veggies. Why? I don't know. Shrimp takes no time to cook, raw corn doesn't. Also laughing at her cutting the corn off the cob. When I learned stirfrying 40 years ago, you always do it in the order of cook time. Her shrimp are sitting there getting cold. Also, butter? Really? Good god, woman, this is - or should be -  a healthy dish, don't add butter.

Once again, she says "stir" when she means "poke". No knife skills, no stirring skills. 

This is such a mish-mash of ingredients. Parmesan cheese on a stirfry? gah.

"Hi honey, I love your muscles." ick.

I honestly don't know what to think of the fake snake in Ladd's chair. They have a very strange idea of romance. 

• Love 2

Can someone explain why you'd try and take the marinade OFF the tofu? 

The only thing I could think (and I may be 100% wrong) was it was her effort to get the tofu to be crispy? But there are way better ways to accomplish that. Also she talked about using extra firm but never discussed pressing it first which is at least part of why by the end only some of it was still in nice cubes and a bunch had crumbled up into small pieces. I imagine it would have tasted fairly good if she had pressed it first but without removing the excess moisture the tofu isn't going to absorb as much of the marinade and then yeah... she wipes it all off. Confusing. 

• Love 1

Ree is proof positive that anyone, anywhere, can be anything they want to be.  Who convinced her that she was such an outstanding cook that she should have her own cooking show on television and teach others to cook as well as she can?  To the person who did that,I want to say, "Liar, liar, pants on fire."

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

I watched the four lunches episode last night. 

Ree said the burger deserved to be named for her father-in-law because it was just so scrumptious.  Oooohh-kay.  Every family is different but I can tell you I never thought of my father-in-law as scrumptious.  Of course, I've also never set up a full three-stage breading station to fry two onion rings.  Clearly Ree and I lead very different lives.

They need to start captioning when Chuck speaks.  Or maybe it doesn't matter.  His running around the ranch with his friend giving assignments reminded me of "Nana", who was the elderly mother of one of the owners of the general store where I worked.  Nana would walk around the store, squeezing loaves of bread and noticing cans that weren't perfectly stacked.  She'd order the employees around, telling them to rotate stock or re shelve items or dust bottles or whatever.  We'd all nod and then ignore her, at the direction of the owner.  Josh's reaction to Chuck at the gully seemed like how we reacted to Nana.

Paige must feel wonderful about not only being served something she doesn't like for lunch, but making Alex's absence only barely tolerable.  Way to go on both counts there, Mom.  I loved when Ree told her the salad could easily be made with chicken.  Then why not make it with chicken rather than to-FOO, which clearly your darling daughter can't stand??  It looked like Paige was trying mightily to keep from gagging just looking at the to-FOO. 

I was laughing at the fact that we never saw them chow down on that salad, but then I noticed we didn't see the cowboys tear into that community Hawaiian sandwich either.  I was happy to see Paige was there.  Hopefully she was able to get a little lunch that she could keep down.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 2
I've come to the conclusion that The Pioneer Woman is a show for beginner cooks. Like maybe small children or those who have been living in the wilds of Siberia. If that is the case, then she teaching them wrong.  Mambo dog face in the banana patch.

You are absolutely correct!  She is teaching them wrong.  And thanks for the Steve Martin reference!  Made me laugh out loud!

• Love 2

Holy crap, just saw her making breakfast and she FRIES pancakes!  Seriously?  Who does that?

Then she set out a slew of calorie laden carb toppings with only some nice fatty bacon and sausage to provide protein.  To which the podHusband and podChildren dutifully and robotically produce the standard lines:  "I'm hungry..., looks good..., tastes great...thanks, Mom...."

And particularly loved hiding the apple pie in the cubbyhole previously occupied by manure covered cowboy boots.  Yum.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 3

Kohola 3, I'm learning that cattle ranch food comes in all flavors.  Cow Patty Apple Pie is apparently one of them.  But did you notice that the kids washed their hands?!!!  For me, that was a first!  My mom would have insisted that we use the bathroom sinks, though, not the kitchen sink. 

Just thinking about that breakfast almost triggers my vomit reflex, though.  The pancakes weren't even brown.  Then, topping them off with maple syrup, caramel sauce, chocolate chips, sugared strawberries ... I can't go on!  One saving grace: NO SPRINKLES!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Ree doesn't give a damn about "ranching," "cooking," "homeschooling" or any of the other stuff she likes to lead viewers to believe she does.  I would bet she doesn't do her own photography on blog, either.  

Ree Drummond gives a damn about making money.  Ree Drummond has dialed into Amerricuh's love of sugar, butter, cream, chocolate.  She has her scouts bring her recipes from the net and to make them "her own," hot sauce, sugar, butter, cream are tossed in, for no apparent reason whatsover.  Ree doesn't have a clue how to bring out the true flavors of food.   But Ree knows how to sell her "life on the ranch" and how to market her made in China knock-off designs to fans who want to pretend they can have a piece of her idyllic life and can be just like her.  She gives them permission to eat the sugary, fatty food they crave.  These people truly believe what they see on her lame TV show is the real life Ree Drummond lives.  It's like believing any family on a TV show is a real family living a real life, not actors reading scripts.  It's so sad.  And she perpetuates the lies and laughs all the way to the bank.

The apparel line is coming; just wait and see.  

• Love 4

Oh, geez, just gouge out my eyes right now.

Her tops are so incredibly garish that anyone wearing them will be able to be spotted from space.  That gives you plenty of notice NOT to accept a dinner invitation from one of  her adoring, apparel-wearing, fried taste buds fans.

• Love 1

Holy crap, just saw her making breakfast and she FRIES pancakes!  Seriously?  Who does that?

Then she set out a slew of calorie laden carb toppings with only some nice fatty bacon and sausage to provide protein.  To which the podHusband and podChildren dutifully and robotically produce the standard lines:  "I'm hungry..., looks good..., tastes great...thanks, Mom...."

And particularly loved hiding the apple pie in the cubbyhole previously occupied by manure covered cowboy boots.  Yum.

Okay I will admit that growing up my mother would make us anything we wanted for our birthday breakfast.  Anything.   My one brother always got my mother's fabulous triple raised crust pizza that she rarely made because it required a lot of work with the dough.  Anyway my breakfast was my mother's belgian waffle recipe but fried funnel cake style.  They were like waffle flavored churos but with that funnel cake like soft texture. 

Not done.

Always came with dipping hot chocolate (upside cup and slow ooze rule). 

It gets worse.

With a big side of crispy on the outside but just thick enough to have an equal center layer of still soft fried scrapple.  Only once a year but gawd it was good.

And starting when I was about seven the topper was a Uberstürzter Newmann.  The ratio of rich whipped cream to coffee changed over the years.

I have never understood making a really good from scratch pancake mix adding in some melted butter maybe and some top notch maple syrup or taking some decent frozen berries and making a semi-fresh compote/syrup and then ruining it with all the crap she ladles on.  If you are going to vomit a Halloween Treat or Treat bag all over them why bother with any flavor in the pancake?  Just go frozen and microwave.  Heck you could take a paper towel, wet it slight and fold into quarters place under the mess she throws on and you would have the same effect and likely not know the difference.

• Love 3

Exactly how many times is she going to do some variation of a burger on this show? Or sandwich? She is beyond repetitive. It's clear she has very little in her repertoire and just changes a previous dish slightly and pretends it's something completely new and different.

• Love 2

Exactly how many times is she going to do some variation of a burger on this show? Or sandwich? She is beyond repetitive. It's clear she has very little in her repertoire and just changes a previous dish slightly and pretends it's something completely new and different.

Until the cows come home, of course!

• Love 4

Tentativelyyours, we all have some scandalous meal that's saved for special occasions.  It's meant to be enjoyed once in a while!

Ree just does everything to excess including things that have to be inedible for a normal palate.  I think she's burned out the taste buds of everyone in her family in friends with all that hot sauce, hot peppers, hot flakes, etc.

• Love 2

Ree doesn't give a damn about "ranching," "cooking," "homeschooling" or any of the other stuff she likes to lead viewers to believe she does.  I would bet she doesn't do her own photography on blog, either.  

Ree Drummond gives a damn about making money.  Ree Drummond has dialed into Amerricuh's love of sugar, butter, cream, chocolate.  She has her scouts bring her recipes from the net and to make them "her own," hot sauce, sugar, butter, cream are tossed in, for no apparent reason whatsover.  Ree doesn't have a clue how to bring out the true flavors of food.   But Ree knows how to sell her "life on the ranch" and how to market her made in China knock-off designs to fans who want to pretend they can have a piece of her idyllic life and can be just like her.  She gives them permission to eat the sugary, fatty food they crave.  These people truly believe what they see on her lame TV show is the real life Ree Drummond lives.  It's like believing any family on a TV show is a real family living a real life, not actors reading scripts.  It's so sad.  And she perpetuates the lies and laughs all the way to the bank.

Or more appropriately, a line of tents.  So fugly they scare off bears for miles around. But hey, they'll sleep a family of 12 comfortably.

• Love 1