Type keyword(s) to search

Degrassi: Next Class season one discussion (all episodes 1/15 on Netflix)

MegaJ

This Friday all episodes of Degrassi: Next Class season one (well more like part one of season one, which is overall season 15)  will be available worldwide on Netflix (except for Canada, Australia and France). I suppose this will be our main discussion thread when it drops.

So that was a season (well part of one). It was a good one. I don't know how the fans are going to react to it; they seem to put the characters on a high pedestal or a low footstool and season 15 showed almost every character was problematic in their own way and you could still see where they're coming from.

Okay, so big storylines:

Maya/Zig: Boy oh boy. Poor Zig let his insecurity get the better of him. To me, it's in character; so far he hasn't confronted his underlying issues (family, his mother) which caused him to turn to drugs/gangs and he pretty much latched all his hopes with Maya. And then when Maya turns out to be a person with flaws and her own life going on, he couldn't deal with it and thought Maya was pushing him out (only for Zig to push HER out with his actions to keep her close, use that Dramatic Irony writers!).

Maya becoming a feminist was a good thing to show the kids at home about the true definition of it. Again, she wasn't perfect (like at the club) but it seems like the character is more willing to acknowledge her mistakes more.

I don't know where this will lead. Zaya is done for a bit. I'm thinking with s15 part 2 we'll get Zig dealing with his family. Maya? There's not really a guy they can pair her with so I'm not sure what she'll do. We'll see.

Miles: It boggles me how it seems like his mom and dad don't see how they failed their children (well, except for Frankie). His mom just bringing his abuser back into their lives...Mama Hollingsworth has her own shit to deal with which probably made her put aside Miles's obvious discomfort. But Miles has come a long way through this season after falling down a dark path. He was one of the characters I never really liked that much but the actor and the writers really brought the character to new heights.

Hunter: Oh dear, Hunter is more messed up than I realized. He's a perfect candidate for someone who would join Gamergate: someone with a decent point but it gets completely obscured by unfocused anger and scare tactics. He's not confident and assured offline so masking his rage and taking it out on Maya anonymously is right up his alley. Now that Miles is stable, I guess Hunter can be the crazy one =P

Frankie: Her plot was relatively light, and that's fine considering everyone dealt with heavy stuff this season. Her first big love broke up with her and she unhappy and doesn't feel like she can get back to the same person she was. That's a normal teen problem. Hell, a normal adult. Felt bad for Winston, but I'm glad Frankie realized that she had to leave him behind in order to grow. And yeah, it was with a new guy but it's something.

GraceVas: Well, I saw none of this coming. Well, I did kinda see Grace being straight coming. You had characters comment on her sexuality based on how's she dressed but she never confirmed or denied. From her first kiss with Zoe back in DLB to getting it on, she never really seemed comfortable with it and it was mainly Zoe leading the way. Zoe really disappointed me, backsliding in her ways. I suppose it's part of her character; someone who likes being in control of situations, and finds being mean and scary a particularly effective way of doing that.

Shiny: Again, I love that the girls of the younger class are getting the light plots. Shay and Tiny are cute together, it's too bad Shay was scared off by his past. I really want to see what makes Shay so driven, I mean even her parents tell her to lighten up a little.

New characters: So far Esme and Goldi made an impression because they played a role in the main plots. Goldi is interesting; she really cares about the issues and is proud to be a feminist. I was rolling my eyes at her being against the video game thing but she's much like Tumblr, right but goes about it the wrong way a lot of the time. Esme is okay. She's basically a character type it seems like the writers have wanted to do for awhile (first with Leia being a gossipy liar before that went kaput and then with Imogen before she developed into someone different). She was a bit too convenient as a friend to Miles, hopefully we get more development with that front.

The other didn't leave too much of an impression. Vijay did, by the actor's charmisa. Yael and Baaz (especially Baaz) not so much. We'll see part 2. And is Baaz supposed to be Goldi's brother or are we forgetting that?

Assorted:

-Lola is a fun, cute character. Can't wait to see what horrible things the writers will put her through =P

-Jonah is a snore and serves the same story support role here that he did in season 14. Do something with him writers, please.

-So far, aside from a couple of scenes, there's nothing that could not have been aired on TeenNick. Though it seems like the mood this season was kind of dour.

-The new sets look great and nice new camera shots and editing.

-I would've preferred Mrs. Pill over Simpson but I'm glad he's here anyway.

• Love 2

I think it's better when you bingewatch. One of the problems with their storytelling when they weren't doing the telenovela format was that you would lose track of certain storylines for weeks at a time, and there were certain things the writers seemed to just forget about (*cough*RileyandZane*cough*).

Tristan is just utterly repulsive to me, and I wonder what Lyle Lettau has on the producers that make them write him as so irresistible. I never thought I'd say this, but Miles could do a lot better.

I am kind of surprised that they've stuck with Miles being bi. I always figured that was either for shock value or because he was playing some kind of game.

I liked Goldi more than I've liked a brand new character in a while. I thought they handled the entire Gamergate thing really well: pretty evenhanded until Hunter lost his mind.

ETA: I wonder if Goldi was based at least partly on Marvel Comics' Kamala Khan.

Edited by starri
  • Love 3

I'm on the 3rd episode and I'm already sick of Tristan. Miles gained major cool points for the moment when he said he was going to make his life hell. Please. Someone knock Smug off his pedestal. So, this is what Eli/Clare Free Degrassi is like? Not bad so far.

• Love 4

I'm on episode 9. Oh Zoe. Never change. I actually still like Zoe/Zig and Miles/Maya, but I do like Esme. Esme is the kind of person I can see Miles with, not President Smug. Lol at all the Netflix references. If they give Zig sleeves, I'll be happy.

Has anyone else noticed retreads of Next Gen characters? Miles is like a rich Craig, VJ is a Marco, Zig is a Spinner/Sean, Maya is Emma, Zoe is Manny, Esme is like a very messed up Paige/Ellie hybrid, Grace is Ellie, and Tiny is Jay.

Has anyone else noticed retreads of Next Gen characters? Miles is like a rich Craig, VJ is a Marco, Zig is a Spinner/Sean, Maya is Emma, Zoe is Manny, Esme is like a very messed up Paige/Ellie hybrid, Grace is Ellie, and Tiny is Jay.

Retreaded characters (and plots) is a time-honored (or should it be "honoured"?) tradition that goes back to Degrassi High School.  I guess there's only so many ways to do pregnancy, drugs, bands, suicide, violence, abuse, disorders, and molestation, or rich, working class, alternative lifestyle, gang member, slut, nerd, jock, Cause Girl, etc.  

Just finished ep 2.  Not a fan of the retread of the opening credits "Whatever It Takes" song.  I'll tell you that right now. 

Still, it's Degrassi.  Annnnd we're back.  I'm glad.

Edited by Lone Wolf

I really enjoyed these episodes. I liked that they were able to go a bit darker and more raw with the storyline and what they showed than they could with TeenNick.

Miles' phone call with his brother during the last episode had me in tears. I really enjoyed his character development this season, and feel like I might actually miss him if he does go to boarding school next year.

Never thought I would miss Tristan's bleach blonde! And I know that I'm way too old to be asking this, but if Tristan wasn't having sex, what was he doing that would result in contracting chlamydia. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out.

Also, anyone else think Zig and Zoe had sex and the reason she's been sick is because she's pregnant? And Zoe always defaults to being a straight up vengeful bitch.

I did like how open everyone was in regards to their relationships. Maya and Zig talking about consent, Grace talking Zoe that she tried but being a lesbian wasn't for her, Frankie ending things with Winston before jumping back into a relationship with him just because that's what everyone thought she should do.

I will say that I missed Mr. Perrino. I thought he was sticking around. He was my favorite. The coach was still there. So maybe there's still a chance for him to come back.

• Love 1

Just finished episode 6. God, I hate Jonah and the way he was talking to Frankie, i.e. negging her in order to get her to agree to volunteer. Knowing that they eventually get together pisses me off. I get the appeal of a Slap Slap Kiss or a love/hate relationship, but not when it involves the guy being a condescending, patronizing asshole who is determined to bring the girl down a peg, which is something that I see far too frequently. 

Hunter definitely reminded me of Gamergate, and Gamergate is awful. And did he wreck school property and not even get suspended? Maybe they mention something about it in ep 7 but it didn't seem that way in ep 6. 

Anyway, I know what happens between Grace and Zoe in 7 and I'm anticipating a lot of secondhand embarrassment. Settle down there with your thirst, Zoe. And Grace is supposed to like Zig? What kind of low standards, girl... (Sorry, but I am NHF Zig's insecurity.) 

I think I love Lola. She's hilariously ridiculous. "Can you guys tell me what's wrong with this keychain??" Oh, you sweet summer child. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 1

Never thought I would miss Tristan's bleach blonde! And I know that I'm way too old to be asking this, but if Tristan wasn't having sex, what was he doing that would result in contracting chlamydia. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out.

Also, anyone else think Zig and Zoe had sex and the reason she's been sick is because she's pregnant? And Zoe always defaults to being a straight up vengeful bitch.

I will say that I missed Mr. Perrino. I thought he was sticking around. He was my favorite. The coach was still there. So maybe there's still a chance for him to come back.

I was confused about Tristan's comment too but maybe he was only having oral sex? Vijay said something about, "I'd never done that with anyone before". But that's still sex. LOL. If that's what happened, then they missed an opportunity to point out that oral sex requires as much safety as "actual" sex.

I totally think Zoe's pregnant. But I was confused about what she and Zig did as well... first it seemed like sex, then it was just kissing. Guess we'll find out, if she ends up pregnant.

I noticed Mr. Perrino's actor's name in the credits for one of the episodes but he never popped up... weird. I like the new English teacher a lot but I'm glad Armstrong and Perrino are still around after all these years.

--

Edited to add a spoiler tag, just to be safe, since people are posting at different points of their watch-throughs.

The finale, with Hunter roaming the school with a gun, was the first time in a while that I got really nervous and worked up over the show. It seemed like so many different things could happen; him shooting others, him killing himself when he was alone in his room, the gun accidentally going off when Miles told him to put it down. And even though nothing bad happened, it didn't feel like a letdown (like it usually does, when they hype up the finale), because of how Hunter broke down at the end (that phone call made me cry as well, so well done). I thought they took him from awkward and intense to supreme evil a little too quickly but I'm looking forward to finding out what's going on with him. He seemed to be a different person after the phone call, and shocked by what he had considered doing.

Edited by omgsowicked

Just finished episode 6. God, I hate Jonah and the way he was talking to Frankie, i.e. negging her in order to get her to agree to volunteer. Knowing that they eventually get together pisses me off. I get the appeal of a Slap Slap Kiss or a love/hate relationship, but not when it involves the guy being a condescending, patronizing asshole who is determined to bring the girl down a peg, which is something that I see far too frequently. 

Also, his butt-chin.  Sorry that's shallow, but that's literally the only thing I could see whenever he was onscreen.  I was worried she'd fall in.

I'm surprised people are so keen on Esme.  I thought she was the worst and possibly irredeemably awful.

• Love 3

Also, his butt-chin.  Sorry that's shallow, but that's literally the only thing I could see whenever he was onscreen.  I was worried she'd fall in.

I'm surprised people are so keen on Esme.  I thought she was the worst and possibly irredeemably awful.

Oh, I couldn't stand Esme. She was awful, but I found her character to be very true to life to some of the kids today. So used to psychologists/psychiatrists since young that they have all the analysis and talk down, and the manipulation comes so easy. As much as I can't stand her, I hope they get into a real drug abuse story with her, not like Peter's I'm a methhead after 2 hours storyline.
  • Love 3

Okay all caught up

First of All,... I really have to wonder if they are teaching Chinese in Toronto. Shoulda been French (thus endth my "BUT WE'RE IN CANADA!!" rant until my babies start applying for university).

Hollingsworths are so messed up, its not even funny. These parents need to be smacked (no pun intended here). Miles keeps taking drugs to stop being anxious about his abusive father, Hunter has this utter messed up anger slash depression that he doesn't see how completely wrong he was with Maya (like. the hell? and of all the people why Maya? maybe I binged on everything too fast, but why focus on Maya, and not on Goldi who actually pushed for the closing of the gamer club), and Frankie.. (whom I still love, Sara Waisglass is amazing), is quasi depressed (or as Miles stated, a 15 year old girl), but who is obviously NOT happy either and all their mother cares about is hooking up with the dad again? 

Can someone PLEASE call foster care or something?

(also - Hunter scared me with his last line there, with Miles looking freaked out too. I was expecting a "Showtime!" ending /clasicDegrassiReference) 

Where did the lady principal go? did they explain why Simpson was back? (not complaining, just curious)

Grace having CF.. i liked it a lot. I was glad that it wasn't cancer (again), and I think having another serious disease is great. It would have been better to have more lead up to it, but whatever I can deal with it. What I can't deal with was - you don't have sex (which is what I am assuming she + Zoe did) because you don't want to hurt someone. (well you shouldn't anyway). IF she wasn't a lesbian, or bi or even curious she should have stopped Zoe. Period. that was totally wrong with her. 

Zoe being Zoe.. (sigh), won't you learn Zoe? (Same with you Zig). (are we going to assume that "Fooling Around" = Sex? because they use sex/fooling around/make out sessions so interchangeably I don't know. (also. I love David Sutcliffe and that was amazing tieins to Gilmore Girls  on Netflix slash coming back. but considering that 98% of GG fandom HATED Christopher, I'm curious how many stalkers he would have had. tee. heeee). 

Shiny/Liny -I can see where Shae was coming from, Lola, way too fast, but this where communication really comes in. if Lola was in love with him, she should have stated, and if Shae still had a crush she should have said - then Tiny is off limits. with that being said, I am curious what happens with that so to speak. (Also curious what makes Shae v. driven). 

Tristan.. guhuhghuhhhh. Though I honestly, truly thought when he thought he had a STI - they were finally going to reference the Teacher-Nasty-Pants. (are they just handwaving it? I was under the impression they actually had sex - not oral or anything like that) - as someone stated, that was a proper time to state that yes: you can get STIs from Oral sex because it is still sex (that is how Emma got gonorrhoea by giving head to Jay.. i'm assuming.).  but it being a uninary tract infection was tres hilarious

Esme... girl is messed up. (would love some backstory on her but do not like)

Goldi...ditto. though i thought she was dead wrong with the gamer club thing.  

• Love 1

I was actually scared of watching this season with the fear of being able to stomach Tristan after hearing all the comments here but I can't believe I'm saying this...he wasn't as horrible as I expected. Giving him the STI scare storyline was pretty hilarious and that character had it a long time coming. I think his casual comment of "it's just chlamydia" was to showcase how uninformed these kids are. That aside...can the writers please grow a set of balls and drop the Triles bullshit already? We've had enough. Stop revisiting beaten to death storylines for the sake of fanservice. No one cares anymore. I will say this though, Tristan has surprised me in two ways: 1) There's actually another character more obnoxiously and cartoonishly campy than he is. Someone, help us all. 2) I've actually never seen a more undeserving class president than Drew...until now.

Can't say I agree with anyone theorizing that Zoe and Zig did more than kiss. I mean...the phone recording would have caught that, and knowing Zoe, you just KNOW she would've sent Grace THAT kind of video instead of some 3 second kiss. Doesn't add up.

Esme. Giving me very very strong Effy vibes from Skins. I feel like her character was inspired by that series in the very least. She has a strange effect on me. I know her character has acted horribly but I can't stop laughing at the shit she says, sober or not. She manages to out-vicious debut Zoe and still somehow be funny. 

When Maya introduces Jonah to Zig, I was half expecting the dialogue to go like this:

Zig: Oh, hey man.

Jonah: Hey! Aren't you that guy that slammed me against the wall and demanded drug debt money from me? 

Zig: Oh, duuuuude! That WAS you! I knew you looked familiar!

But, no. We got no nod from that at all. The writers literally wanted Zig and Jonah to act like they've never met before. And that Zig sucks at instruments apparently. Okay...........

Speaking of forgotten storylines, anyone else find it odd that once Miles found out his own brother was threatening Maya, you know that girl the writers love cramming her ship with Miles down out throats at any possible turn, there was no reaction from Miles? Like, at all? Just seems like another case of "We're done with that storyline now. None of these characters care about each other anymore. Feelings are ephemeral. Hell, these characters don't even INTERACT with each other anymore let alone share the same scene or room." It's getting tiresome to try and immerse yourself in a story that constantly does shit like this.

I never watched the summer movie and don't plan to, but I'm guessing Simpson somehow got his job back in it? If so, it kind of...cheapens the sendoff between him and Claire last season. Eh....why am I even letting this bother me. This show does shit like that all the time now, it's kind of expected behavior at this point....

Shay is adorable. Writers, please do not give her a recycled Alli storyline. For the love of God, please. We don't need another focused academic teenage girl whose fall from grace is caused by a sudden case of boy crazy. 

As obnoxious as I found Imogen, I feel she does the indignant feminist better than Goldie. Goldie targeting the game club was incredibly forced to me (which isn't her fault, it's the writers') because I actually play MOBAs and that monstrosity Hunter and his friends were playing didn't even closely resemble a MOBA aside from the Victory screen. It's like the person they hired to do research on MOBA's stopped once they found out what the acronym meant and called it a day. I'm not even harping about the graphics either, I'm more taking issue with the fact that a MOBA is the least likely game genre to normalize violence against women unless the opposing team just happens to EXCLUSIVELY PLAY FEMALE CHARACTERS (in which case, whose fault is that really?). That's what a MOBA is, writers. Not some cheap looking MMO where the players (Hunter and his gang in this case) go out and kill frail female NPCs. That is not what a MOBA is and that pisses me off more than it should. I will, however, agree with Goldie's point on the sexualization part. Some of the champ designs of LoL just boggle my mind sometimes (I won't even get into how they redesigned my favorite champ into scantily clad generic garbage, visual and mechanic wise). But I'm ranting far too long now. :)

Edited by Shambo
  • Love 2

Just finished ep 5.  

Hunter looks too thin, even for someone going through adolescence or whatever stage of development he's supposed to be in, as in Eating

Disorder (although based on all the spoilers I'm reading, that doesn't seem to be an plot line).

Lo's still adorbs, but I liked her better when she was an airhead.

Some line in there about, "You can eat Grace's muffin later."  Gold, Jerry, gold!

Still love how earnest this show is ("Kids, it's okay to flick the bean. And to be self-conscious about dumping within earshot of your bro's.") But still hate the opening credits.  Guess I'm just an old fart. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 3

Speaking of being shallow, I can't help but think how unfortunate Miles looks whenever he's on screen. He's an interesting character, I don't mind seeing him get all these heavy plots, but something about his face is just off. I don't even know what it is. Maybe that's part of what makes him interesting to watch though. 

Anyway, I just finished episode seven. The Grace/Zoe fallout was as cringeworthy as I expected. Zoe has no chill. 

Speaking of being shallow, I can't help but think how unfortunate Miles looks whenever he's on screen. He's an interesting character, I don't mind seeing him get all these heavy plots, but something about his face is just off. I don't even know what it is. Maybe that's part of what makes him interesting to watch though. 

Miles is pretty much exactly the kind of guy I would have been attracted to in high school.  Tall, skinny, dark hair, long face.  Both of the two men I've ever really been in love with where of that mold.

It's a weird thing, because as much as I dislike Tristan as a character and think Miles could do a lot better, when they're together I ALMOST like them as a couple.  Which makes no sense.

What happened to Arlene (Hunter's crush from the second half of Season 14) and Ms. Pill?

I'm happy to see that everybody that returned from last season seemed to get about equal airtime. I recall that the second half of the last season felt like it was totally dominated by Claire, Drew, Maya, Zig, and Frankie.

• Love 1

I might actually miss him if he does go to boarding school next year.

I don't think that's going to happen. I figure that the show will have him decide to stay behind in order to keep an eye on Hunter. I bet there will be drama as Miles angsts over whether to tell his mom about the gun or come up with a fake reason as to why he doesn't want to go to boarding school. But I can't imagine Miles deciding to leave in the wake of everything that's happened. 

Anyway, I just finished the season and I can't believe that the gamers weren't suspended at the very least. At least the others expressed remorse, unlike Hunter, and I can get how they just didn't stop to think about the real world effect their harassment would have had on Maya, but still, you'd think it'd be a suspension-worthy offense, especially since they were tweeting a lot of that during school hours. As for Hunter... I'm aware he has problems, but my sympathy tends to evaporate when you threaten violence against other people. Spencer Macpherson is a good actor, though. 

• Love 1

Hunter went from a gamer nerd to full on trying to murder a bunch of people for flimsy reasons in record time. That whole family needs therapy.

Hunter went from sympathetic to completely different person in a blink of an eye and I don't know who he's supposed to be. When he was holding the gun in the room I wondered if he was thinking of suicide. After all his friends hate him and he's got nothing else going on in his life except apparently his brother. 

I don't know why his gamer crew went along with the trolling or the swatting. It's an extreme overreaction to not being able to play video games at school. 

Hunter went from a gamer nerd to full on trying to murder a bunch of people for flimsy reasons in record time. That whole family needs therapy.

Hunter went from sympathetic to completely different person in a blink of an eye and I don't know who he's supposed to be. When he was holding the gun in the room I wondered if he was thinking of suicide. After all his friends hate him and he's got nothing else going on in his life except apparently his brother. 

I don't know why his gamer crew went along with the trolling or the swatting. It's an extreme overreaction to not being able to play video games at school.

I actually think they've been pretty consistent with Hunter's characterization since they first introduced him. He's always been presented as having a hot temper and a somewhat tenuous grip on reality outside of his video games. One of the first times we saw him, he exploded at Becky in the hallway after she ended their in-game relationship. I may not be remembering all the details correctly, but I seem to recall he mocked her for thinking real life was more important than the game and threatened to tell everyone about their in-game sexytimes if she didn't give him back the stuff he gave her. His next major storyline was when Frankie found the violent comic he drew about him murdering cheerleaders (including his sister's friends) who were mean to the girl he had a crush on. Given all that, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that he would take a threat to his gaming way too far and not see what was wrong with what he did.

His friends, on the other hand, don't seem like the types to have gone along with all that. I wish we'd seen more of the dynamics within that group while the harassment of Maya was going on. In particular, I would have liked to see how Yael reacted when it took a decidedly misogynist turn with the rape threats, and whether that gave her pause at all.

• Love 4

I actually think they've been pretty consistent with Hunter's characterization since they first introduced him. He's always been presented as having a hot temper and a somewhat tenuous grip on reality outside of his video games. One of the first times we saw him, he exploded at Becky in the hallway after she ended their in-game relationship. I may not be remembering all the details correctly, but I seem to recall he mocked her for thinking real life was more important than the game and threatened to tell everyone about their in-game sexytimes if she didn't give him back the stuff he gave her. His next major storyline was when Frankie found the violent comic he drew about him murdering cheerleaders (including his sister's friends) who were mean to the girl he had a crush on. Given all that, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that he would take a threat to his gaming way too far and not see what was wrong with what he did.

His friends, on the other hand, don't seem like the types to have gone along with all that. I wish we'd seen more of the dynamics within that group while the harassment of Maya was going on. In particular, I would have liked to see how Yael reacted when it took a decidedly misogynist turn with the rape threats, and whether that gave her pause at all.

Well this was the first season I've seen of these people so I'm limited in that way as to characterisation. Being pissed at someone snubbing you in real life and having a short temper is still MILES away from writing up a hit list and grabbing a gun to go to school with the intention of... unknown agenda. Maybe it's just me though.

I'm not sure what the gaming team hoped to achieve if they were piling on Maya because she had a bunch of haters for her song already and were hoping to use that as a cover. Hunter seemed to find Maya personally responsible for his gaming club's demise even though it seemed like the other girl's agenda. It would have made more sense character wise for him to go after her via swatting with the whole racial profiling thing. 

It seems weird that they'd go after only one recent member of the feminist club and ignore the leader of the club or any other members. It smacked of plot contrivance. IMHO

Ok, if you haven't seen previous seasons then I get why it would seem like a really sudden turn. The stuff in previous seasons went beyond just having a short temper, to seeming kind of delusional. He came across to me as though he's far more invested in a fantasy world in which he's the conquering hero slaying his enemies than he is in his real life.

It wasn't really clear to me if Maya already had haters for her song or if the haters were all Hunter and his friends using her song as cover for their revenge campaign. I figured they didn't go after Goldie because after the stuff Hunter said to her in the meeting he would have been the prime suspect if she'd suddenly started getting harassed online, whereas Maya was an easier target because they could appear to be just random internet people who hated her song.

• Love 1

I think having another serious disease is great.

I know you meant this in the context of storylines, but I laughed when I first read this. I just finished watching the season and a bunch of random thoughts:

• I don't dislike Maya's music but if I never have to hear that song again I'd be down with that.
  • Apparently Tiny's name really is Tiny? I figured that was his gang name or something. Why parents, why?
  • I don't know if Grace is lying about not being into Zoe, but I think she's lying about being into Zig. I think she was just pressed to name someone and he was there.
  • Esme seems over the top but most characters on this show seem that way until they've been in a few more episodes.
  • How was Maya still going to school and trying to keep it together when she was being threatened online? I would legit have a nervous breakdown and be homeschooling it.
  • I don't know why but I love Lola. She's like a teenaged Strawberry Shortcake.
  • Hehe on the UTI/Chlamydia storyline. I too thought it might have been the teacher, though that was probably too long ago that symptoms would only have come up now.
  • I don't really care much about Jonah or Frankie, but at least he wasn't taking a lot of her bullshit. The negging sucked though. What a pair.
  • Love 1

Apparently Tiny's name really is Tiny? I figured that was his gang name or something. Why parents, why?

I don't think it's been stated on the show, just press releases and online character bios, but his name is Deon Bell. It would be nice to hear a teacher use his real name at some point.

Speaking of Tiny, I'd really like to know where he's living now. Zig as well. I get that they might not want to get into it, due to the reboot, but his brother's in jail, his parents aren't an option... where is he living? And I'm enjoying his goofy, nerdy personality but I hope they do more with him (beyond the typical black plots like race, religion, gangs, music... not to say that that's bad but you know, we do have other things going on, lol). If I recall correctly, his mom has a mental illness... it would be good to do a mental illness story with him. White people aren't the only ones who suffer from that kind of thing.

• Love 2

So I checked out of Degrassi after the "Degrassi Goes Hollywood" movie and basically all the OG next generation cast left. Binged this new class season because (hey, Netflix!), and instantly gravitated towards Zoe. She comes off very Paige 2.0 to me. The actress, Ana Golja, just has this spark about her. Went back to binge watch season 13, and was very impressed by her performance (and the work of the overall crew/production) for her sexual assault storyline. And now she's basically the character who's reeling me back into this show. That girl conveys so much through her eyes, it's fun to watch. 

Random thoughts:

• I think/hope Grace is asexual, and that's a storyline we'll get to see. I think she might have romantic feelings for Zoe, but is not at all sexually attracted to her. If they go this route, this could be a very interesting arc...the conflict of Zoe quite possibly being/falling in love with her ailing best friend, who cannot reciprocate physical intimacy? LOVE this possibility. 
  • Which brings me to Zoe's impulsive revenge (lord, my problematic fave)... I'm of the camp that is convinced she and Zig had sex in the woods, and I'm hoping it leads to an abortion storyline. With Gen Z watching this new class, it's about time. Specifically when you consider the topic of Planned Parenthood and women's rights this past year. The actress has the chops to pull off the material. I really want this to be the direction they go. 
  • Also, can we discuss the exchange she and Zig had in the woods? Considering the topic of consent, a bit disturbing (though, not at all unbelievable) to see Zoe be the one to be the aggressor here (she's probably just so driven by the need to control the situation and avenge for her hurt feelings). But what was interesting was that Zig was the one who ended up getting consent from her ("Are you sure?"), LIKE -- really, dude? I mean, good, I guess? But I would've thought his initial reaction would've been to push her away because of. HIS. GIRLFRIEND. I mean, it takes two to tango, but I do believe he could've had the upper hand here and completely reject Zoe's advances. MESS. I'm in.
  • I love Frankie and Jonah, superficially, as I think the actors have fantastic chemistry. That's all. 
  • To the person above who compared Lola to Strawberry Shortcake: YES. She is a sweetie, and I loved her little masturbation plot. Yay, female sex positivity! 
  • I also like Miles (the actor is great, imo). Those Hollingsworth kids need an IV of TLC. Very intrigued by all of them as individuals. I hope Eric Osbourne isn't taking off any time soon; I wonder if Miles will delay boarding school to help with Hunter. 
  • I like Tristan just fine, and his chemistry with Miles. Not a fan of his biphobic comments regarding Miles though. Would like a little more. 
  • While familiarizing myself with seasons 13 and 14, Maya came off very Mary Sue-ish to me and I was over her pretty quickly. But I like her character development in this new season (always on board for feminism). And while she's not a favorite of mine, it sucks that she's continually getting shit on; this Grace/Zoe/Zig biz is going to mess her shit up, if Zoe is indeed preggers. 
  • I need more from Tiny and Shay. I have absolutely no interest in Winston. Esme could be interesting, and I'm waiting till she and Zoe cross paths. Now that could be a rivalry. 
  • Now that they're on Netflix, you gotta love some of the innuendo sprinkled in. My fave moment being when Zoe and Grace where kissing, and they fall back onto the bed, they cut to the next scene of the heart monitor reading "69" and I died a little. 
Edited by inyourmarrow
  • Love 1

I kind of like that Tristan is awful. This show has done too many variations on the super-earnest LGBT kid struggling to find acceptance (including self-acceptance). It feels like progress to me that they're acknowledging that some gay kids can be jerks just like any other kids.

The whole thing with Grace and Zoe felt very contrived to me. Grace has always been shown as a pretty straight shooter. I didn't really believe she'd go ahead and have sex with Zoe without telling her first that she's not sure she's into girls but is willing to give it a try because she cares about Zoe, especially since they were already talking about her fear of their friendship getting screwed up. Her liking Zig, if she was telling the truth about that, also seemed designed for maximum drama. You just know that's going to come up at some point to mess up her friendship with Maya. There's never been anything in their history that gave me the impression Grace was into Zig. Although I do like that Tristan and Miles were wrong with their stupid crap about how Grace must be a lesbian because "girls don't dress like that to attract boys."

I'm the same age as Emma's class, and checked out of this show when all of the first class Next Generation-ers left, so I've only seen intermittent episodes of the current kids. Basically hearing that Tiny and Zig were once bad boy drug dealers sounds ridiculous after watching them tee-hee over condoms and anguish over other boys hearing them shit at school.

I enjoyed this season and thought it was much lighter than Degrassi's usual fare, yet still managed to effectively tackle a lot of current issues. I think my favorite episode was the one about consent, especially the scene with Maya's mom. Yay for parents who parent! And also for showing consent in a context that many would interpret as ambiguous. It's easy to see stories of consent and think "I couldn't be that guy" so seeing it through Zig's POV and him learning and growing was nice. And, God, on paper Zig is such an awful, obnoxious character, yet it's so hard to hate him. Kudos to the actor for pulling off a whiny borderline mennist and still come off as likable. He's definitely this generation's Spinner.

Miles is basically Logan Echolls and the actor is good enough to pull it off. I hope he doesn't end up going to boarding school, because he's another character that I would absolutely hate in real life, but makes good television.

Zoe is the best part of the show, and while the Zoe/Zig hookup sounded like "just kissing" at the start, I think they've decided to go with an abortion storyline, and she's the best actress to handle the material. Has Degrassi done an abortion since Manny? I feel like all the pregnancy storylines since have ended in adoption or miscarriage.

I didn't care much for any of the Grade 10 stuff, but Lola is adorable, and I really like the actress who plays Shae. 

Also, I'm so glad social media wasn't a thing when I was in high school. All that exposure seems terrifying. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 3

I think they did an abortion story more recently than Manny's story-- maybe with Alli? Does anyone remember for sure?

After a quick Google search, it looks like the only other storyline that's remotely close to Manny's abortion was when Anya took the Plan B pill.

Edited by inyourmarrow

I think they did an abortion story more recently than Manny's story-- maybe with Alli? Does anyone remember for sure?

I think Ali had a pregnancy scare but was never actually pregnant.

Edited by jsm1125

I think Ali had a pregnancy scare but was never actually pregnant.

Yeah, they went the cop-out route with Alli. She had basically decided that she would get an abortion but then turned out not to be pregnant.

The thing that frustrates me about Zoe possibly ending up pregnant is that it's a repeat of something that has already happened twice in Degrassi history. First with Joey/Caitlin/Tessa and later Craig/Ashley/Manny. So it seems lazy to have "the other woman" end up pregnant again. 

• Love 2

Aside from being lazy, it also reinforces the oddly moralistic way the show tends to treat its sexually active female characters. Beyond all the pregnancies, I don't think they've ever done a positive depiction of a female character losing her virginity. Manny got pregnant her first time, Ashley slept with Craig and then he immediately had a manic episode and ruined her father's wedding, Darcy was raped and then had joyless sex with Peter just to have another sexual experience, Holly J had the whole thing with Declan being incapable of saying he loved her and then finding out he was moving away, Alli wasn't ready and immediately regretted it, Anya lied about being on the pill and Sav dumped her the next day, Clare found out she had cancer in the same episode where she and Eli had sex for the first time, Maya and Zig were on drugs and regretted it, and didn't JT get murdered the night Emma was planning to sleep with Sean? I get that a happy, uneventful first time doesn't make for a great story, but it seems irresponsible to keep reinforcing this message that girls who have sex will be punished one way or another.

• Love 2
(edited)

I completely agree. I thought having Zig and Zoe lose Maya and Grace was an effective enough loss because we had seen all season how important those relationships were to them. They made this huge mistake, all for someone who meant so little to them, respectively. But turning this into a pregnancy plot is going too far and IMO is too soapy. Especially when you think about how there was also a sex tape involved. So I'm hoping that, by some miracle, Zoe is NOT pregnant. I even think having Maya end up pregnant and decide to abort would go there more because while this show has covered abortion in the past, Zig and Maya's dynamic is much different than Craig and Manny's or Joey and Tessa's. That being said, the Degrassi writers should have been banned from doing pregnancy story lines for a good five years after Clare got pregnant and we had paternity hijinks. 

Edited by paceyjwitter
  • Love 1
(edited)

I certainly agree to an extent about female characters on the show being punished for being sexually active, but here's the thing: pregnancy is a part of the equation. Even if one is having the safest, most responsible sex, there's always a chance (even the slightest) of pregnancy (and the option of abortion and adoption, STIs, et al.). No matter how many years go by, storylines written, it's a reality that always exists. I don't find pregnancy storylines lazy - it's more so how they're approached that can be lazy and contrived. 

Personally with Gen Z now watching Next Class, I think it's important to see the show depict abortion as a viable alternative (as well as they did with Manny). I think, IF they're even going this route with Zoe's character, it could be very different in that they could/should focus on the political aspect (as it's been in the news heavily over the past year), ex. showing how there are radical pro-lifers who protest and threaten patients of Planned Parenthood, etc. Degrassi is certainly due for a storyline like that.

As someone who's all for it, I'm also aware that approaching this particular arc with Zoe, as she has SO MANY OTHER THINGS happening, can be very convoluted, which won't due the writing for her character arc any favors if they can't find one thing and focus on that. It's no surprise that the writers love to give Ana meaty material (and I'm not complaining, she's my fave), and she's certainly capable of handling that material just fine, but as I said -- it's most likely too much for one character. 

ETA: I totally meant abortion, not adoption.

Edited by inyourmarrow
  • Love 1

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think anything about the Zig/Zoe hook up was written all that well which makes it all the worse. Everything that led to that one mistake was due to various coincidences and misunderstandings and it's insulting to bring a guy into a story line about a girl who is potentially coming to terms with being a lesbian. The reason why it's lazy is because of the exact scenario resulting in pregnancy. It's like they're saying that girls who got pregnant while in loving relationships can't possibly decide to abort. Only "other women" make such a choice. I'd rather they not do adoption because that's another thing we've seen before, with JT/Liberty and KC/Jenna. To me, it's all too easy to make Zoe pregnant. It's extending a story line that never should have happened in the first place all to cover a certain topic. I know Degrassi is going to repeat story lines since the show has been on for nearly 30 years, but repeating every single beat? That's just plain stupid and sticks out like a sore thumb in a season that has finally gotten the show out the slump it was in for far too long. 

(edited)

Whoops, I totally meant that I think they need to do another abortion storyline, NOT adoption. 

Again, if they're indeed going there with Zoe's character, I actually feel like abortion would be her only option. While it's an incident that should've never happened between them, it did. Neither Zoe nor Zig would want to keep that baby, I'd imagine and they sure as hell aren't ready to be parents. I also couldn't see Zoe wanting to see the entire pregnancy through just to give the baby up. And since her mom is apparently a strict Catholic and their relationship is not very healthy, I don't expect Zoe to even have the discussion with her mom. And according to Canadian law, she doesn't need to. 

I mean, others probably have a better sense of the Degrassi writers than I do, but I don't think it's insulting at all to have a guy inserted into Zoe's sexuality arc. To me that calls to mind the idea people have that just because a girl sleeps with guys, she can't be a lesbian, she has to be bisexual, and that's just not true. Zig being a male is a non-issue. Lesbians can and have sex with men all the time. It doesn't feel like an issue to me where Zoe is concerned because it's completely obvious that she no feelings for him; she was purely vindictive, and as she said, Zig was there and it was easy. 

But everything that happened during and after episode 7 increasingly doesn't make sense me. I used to be dead set on them making Zoe pregnant, but I'm not even sure that will be the case. 

Edited by inyourmarrow
(edited)

I agree with that. IF Zoe is pregnant, then I wouldn't be able to accept any other resolution besides abortion. There are so many reasons why neither Zig or Zoe is ready to be parent and when you consider their mutual feelings (or lack thereof) about each other, bringing a child into this world is a horrible idea. But I am still so annoyed that they did this exact scenario for the third time. Couple has a fight and guy thinks it's over? Check. Guy ends up in the arms of a girl he was previously interested in? Check. Guy's actual girlfriend "unexpectedly" wants to make things right the very next day, they hug and say I love you? Check. Guy and other woman exchange meaningful look? CHECK. I think I would be much more into this possible story line if it involved any other pairing. I realize that only two couples have canonically been sexually active that we know of, but still. 

I don't think Zoe sleeping with ZIg negates her likely being a lesbian. I just hate the circumstances surrounding it and it feels so typical for them to inject a guy into things. So my problem is strictly with the writers on this one. In Zoe's fucked up mind, sleeping with Zig was the perfect way to hurt Grace the same way Grace hurt her. 

I wish they wouldn't make her pregnant. I'd love for there to be some kind of twist. It seems too obvious, but you never know with the Degrassi writers. People have been calling Zoe ending up pregnant since 1507 aired. 

Edited by paceyjwitter
On 1/17/2016 at 6:16 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Retreaded characters (and plots) is a time-honored (or should it be "honoured"?) tradition that goes back to Degrassi High School.  I guess there's only so many ways to do pregnancy, drugs, bands, suicide, violence, abuse, disorders, and molestation, or rich, working class, alternative lifestyle, gang member, slut, nerd, jock, Cause Girl, etc.  

Just finished ep 2.  Not a fan of the retread of the opening credits "Whatever It Takes" song.  I'll tell you that right now. 

Still, it's Degrassi.  Annnnd we're back.  I'm glad.

But they always "retread" the opening credits for every season/movie.

On 1/16/2016 at 11:02 AM, Chairperson Meow said:

I'm on episode 9. Oh Zoe. Never change. I actually still like Zoe/Zig and Miles/Maya, but I do like Esme. Esme is the kind of person I can see Miles with, not President Smug. Lol at all the Netflix references. If they give Zig sleeves, I'll be happy.

Your first two (Miles <= Craig, VJ <= Marco) was pretty good comparisons, but all else aren't in my opinion. 
Especially with Manny/Zoe, their struggles weren't exactly the same. The only real similarities are their interests in acting and them being filmed without being fully there (but completely different scenarios... Manny: drunk, only her chest, Zoe: touched, not shown if she was raped or not). Zoe didn't have thoughts of getting plastic surgery, wasn't abused or had pregnancy scares, etc. It is still the beginning of her Degrassi career and Manny's character had a lot more traction and development than Zoe's so far.
I sort of understand Tiny and Jay, they both have a shady past and got out of it, but I think Tiny would be more like Sean. Zig is just Spinner except without the cancer. Tiny has the brother, like Sean, who is a mega bad influence and they both don't have parental supervision in their homes. They also both had friends see their living situations and how bad they are. The only thing I hope Tiny doesn't have to go through is jail and losing out on love! (which I hope is being is Shay and not Lola... Shiny <3)
I could explain other pairings but I rather not take that much space and I don't want to be rude (sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, I just wanted degrassi since the first episode of next generation growing up). 

• Love 1