Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Ruby and Mary

A woman is forced to live in her car due to her hoarding and her daughters threaten to call Adult Protective Services. Also: Child Protective Services threaten to remove a woman's two daughters if she doesn't clean up her Napa Valley home.

I wondered how on earth Mary was the mother of those kids! Where did Mary and her husband get the money to pay for two surrogate pregnancies? The kids were wonderful, especially, the little boy. I wanted to scream when Mary started to paw through the toys they had decided to give away. The dad should have grown a pair and taken the kids away until she got help.

Ruby cracked me up about the "brand new" turkey baster. Bitch, please! You can't even get into your kitchen! It's unusable!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4

Mary is the kind of hoarder that I don't think she is as much mentally ill as she is stubborn, lazy and gross.  Yes, she has problems with decision making and letting go of things, but it seemed to be on a level that could definitely be dealt with using some ongoing therapy. And sadly, that is refreshing to me after seeing how terribly disturbed other hoarders have been so far this season.  Her kids were wonderful, and I hope so much that the home is maintained for their sake.  No excuse for putting them through that, even though they are "able bodied" and she "doesn't worry" about whether or not they can safely climb around over her piles of bullshit.

I cracked up when they showed Ruby's wig hanging from the pot rack.  And when she brought home the fake houseplant that she just laid on top of a pile of crap, like a cherry on top of a trash sundae.  I'm glad her 17 year old great grandson doesn't have to live there much longer, and that at least the house is better for him now, but that he already had to live so long in those conditions is too sad.  I wish somehow his new room could have been painted instead of just having cloth stapled to the walls to sort of cover the old pink paint.  He deserves a fresh coat in the color of his choosing,

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 7

I would of removed the children long ago.

I agree with Irritable's description of the mother. And the father just stands by and lets it all happen?  He is just as bad if not worse than his wife.

The relatives let is all happen for years. I will never understand that.

I have no doubt that house is going right back to the way it was.

The other woman moaning the loss of the relative who went to prison. I always wonder where was the worry and intervention before it happened?  And she certainly was not doing a damned thing about it happening again.

• Love 4

I would of removed the children long ago.

I agree with Irritable's description of the mother. And the father just stands by and lets it all happen? He is just as bad if not worse than his wife.

The relatives let is all happen for years. I will never understand that.

I have no doubt that house is going right back to the way it was.

The other woman moaning the loss of the relative who went to prison. I always wonder where was the worry and intervention before it happened? And she certainly was not doing a damned thing about it happening again.

I agree, I would have removed the kids way before this. I was also pissed at the wussy dad, be a man and stand up for your kids!

• Love 3

She was the great grandmother and had at least 4 children, and they all had a whole bunch of children, so there were 2 generations of adults so why was the boy forced to live with her? No one else was more suitable to take this kid in then the GREAT Grandmother who is mentally ill?

• Love 7

She was the great grandmother and had at least 4 children, and they all had a whole bunch of children, so there were 2 generations of adults so why was the boy forced to live with her? No one else was more suitable to take this kid in then the GREAT Grandmother who is mentally ill?

Sooooo infuriating isn't it? Ugh.

• Love 2

There were probably ten other households and they have the kid living with a lady who sits in her car for 16 hours a day? 

I hate seeing these households with children. Mary was also morbidly obese. I loved when the doctor asked her if she had a college fund for the kids! Ha! A rainy day fund? You keep buying stuff they don't need. They said there was an earthquake and they couldn't get out. Why was not CPS called at that time?

what infuriates me about this show is that the amount of time needed to prepare for the shoot and all the time that pre-production needs to set it all up that goes into making an episode of hoarders is most likely weeks and weeks that children and pets are subjected to the deplorable conditions. I called out Zazio on that one episode where the cats and dogs were suffering so badly and they KNEW about for a good 2 months before filming. It is inexcusable that Vets were not called in the second they got on that property.  The several months that Hoarders was in pre production of this episode what if the house went on fire during that time and the kids died? 

• Love 4

Mary was also morbidly obese.

With respect, I really object to this. Morbidly obese people who are NOT lazy and who keep their homes clean, who work hard and love their children DO exist. They’re not all People of Walmart and Hoarders, so I’m really not sure why this was called out as its own sin.

• Love 13

I was cringing while that sweet little boy was putting those filthy, damp gloves all over his face and mouth during the clean up. What's the point of wearing gloves if he was allowed to do that? I guess he has a pretty strong immune system after living in the filth and clutter for so long, but it still bothered me.

I want to know how these hoarders' homes look so wonderful after the clean up. I am tempted to hoard up my house so someone can come and help me turn it into a showpiece. I wish my own house looked so good.

With respect, I really object to this. Morbidly obese people who are NOT lazy and who keep their homes clean, who work hard and love their children DO exist. They’re not all People of Walmart and Hoarders, so I’m really not sure why this was called out as its own sin.

I was wondering the same thing.  Mary had a lot of the hallmarks of PCOS.  I have PCOS.  I'm not a small person.  There's also a correlation between PCOS, and OCD/Anxiety.  I'm not excusing what she did - by a long shot - but I don't think that her weight has much to do with anything.

• Love 4