Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Aw, Hell, The King / S02.E04: Bewitched, Bothered, And Belittled

I'm actually wondering what happened to all the confidence and competence Galavant demonstrated in the first season. His goal is to rescue Isabella, not overthrow the kingdom of Hortensia, so I don't see why he needs some massive army when sneaking into the palace alone with something to snap the lock on that Barbie house should do.

Well, we all know how sneaking into the palace turned out last season...

• Love 3

I think part of the reason I loved "Maybe You Won't Die Alone" so much is because it was such an obvious homage to "Kiss the Girl" from the Little Mermaid but with the Galavant sarcasm twist and interruption of the romance with something like, oh, Richard setting himself on fire!

"Won't Die Alone"

I adored "Won't Die Alone," but the Classical/Early Music nerd in me was annoyed that the song deliberately referenced "viols" and "crumhorns," then promptly used utterly wrong instrumentation to demonstrate both.

Viols are unique stringed instruments of the Early Music and Early Baroque periods, and sound like very very sweet thin violins/cellos/etc., and are bowed 'underhand,' unlike violins, cellos, etc., while crumhorns are double-reed instruments (not horns) that are blasty and loud (and awesome) and basically sound like someone playing on a beehive.

So while the song was adorable, and easily the best of the episode, I wish they could've included some of the real instruments even for a moment, especially if they were going to call them out verbatim in the song. (If it helps, a good comparison would be someone mentioning a harpsichord in a song then substituting a piano for the soundtrack.)

And I totally know how nitpicky and goofy I sound. But -- just sayin'.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 2

I adored "Won't Die Alone," but the Classical/Early Music nerd in me was annoyed that the song deliberately referenced "viols" and "crumhorns," then promptly used utterly wrong instrumentation to demonstrate both.

<snip>

And I totally know how nitpicky and goofy I sound. But -- just sayin'.

See this is where the "ignorance" in Ignorance is bliss works in my favor.

And I might have packed babies and cobras* in my daughter's lunch today.  And she might have snorfled milk through her nose as a result.

Baby Goldfish and Gummi Worms.

• Love 1

And I might have packed babies and cobras* in my daughter's lunch today.  And she might have snorfled milk through her nose as a result.

Baby Goldfish and Gummi Worms.

You just became either the coolest mom ever or the biggest dork mom ever, depending on how your daughter feels about Galavant.

• Love 2

I haven't seen much/any chemistry between Galavant and Isabella, so I'm hoping the show is going to subvert that ending. (I'm not spoiled at all on the later episodes.) The song about the crappy first kiss gave me hope. Actually, I ship Isabella with the jester! Now, they have chemistry.

Galavant and Sid can ride off together, resuming their beautiful friendship.