Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Aw, Hell, The King / S02.E04: Bewitched, Bothered, And Belittled

I just realized that either Gal has grown a thicker bread or uses a beard weave which is different from season 1.

I think it's just longer/thicker. It was shorter and looked more modern last season, definitely.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

I too was concerned when Richard walked away from the Kingly Sword during his song-- there it was stuck into a bag of grain, and I was wondering whether only the One True King could pull it out of that. But he returned there and finished the song sitting right beside the sword, so I assume this was not a plot point and he still had it with him thereafter.

• Love 2

While I liked the two episodes from last week better, these were still enjoyable.  I'm not feeling the songs as much though this season.  Last season had so many catchy and memorable songs... I've watched "Hero's Journey" on the Tube of You countless times.  This season, to me the only really memorable songs are last week's "Off With His Shirt" and "Maybe You Won't Die Alone".

"Maybe You Won't Die Alone" was hilarious.  I agree that it was reminiscent of "Kiss the Girl", especially the way Galavant's head kept popping out from behind Richard and Roberta's heads.  

"Don't say the words 'herpes simplex' " was truly, laugh out loud, bust a gut funny.

• Love 1
My suggestion is #Sigar (kinda like Tiger but not!) 

I like!  Definitely need to suggest that one in the Twitter-verse.

I just realized that either Gal has grown a thicker bread or uses a beard weave which is different from season 1.

Thicker beard and hair this season and it's all real.  Lots of pics from him off-set this fall (thanks to the paps following him and Kylie Minogue) and he's definitely bearded.

"Don't say the words 'herpes simplex' " was truly, laugh out loud, bust a gut funny.

I think what cracked me up most about that line was Richard brushing his fingertips across his lips as soon as Galavant sang "herpes simplex".  So freakin' hilarious.

• Love 1

This is going to sound weird, but of the little bits we've seen of Bobbi...

Does she remind anyone else of Tauriel? From The Hobbit movies??? Maybe it's the red hair...and the green clothing...and the warrior skills...and the courage/bravery she seems to have (she was the only volunteer, afterall)...but I get Tauriel vibes from her.

HoodlumSheep I don't think it's weird,Bobbi remind me of Tauriel too and I think the actress looks sort like her.

• Love 1

Were the "mean girls" actually queens? Or some sort of merchants who sold jewelry? I couldn't quite tell. Anyway, count me in initially as someone who expected Madalena to be the one the get revenge on the "mean girls", but it actually makes sense that psychologically she was powerless against them as they were the cause, or one of the causes of her psychosis.

• Love 1

Were the "mean girls" actually queens? Or some sort of merchants who sold jewelry? I couldn't quite tell. Anyway, count me in initially as someone who expected Madalena to be the one the get revenge on the "mean girls", but it actually makes sense that psychologically she was powerless against them as they were the cause, or one of the causes of her psychosis.

Yes, they were Queens or something. I figured the point of this episode was, besides showing us more about Madalena, to spark her desire to conquer their kingdoms. They mentioned there are seven kingdoms, you KNOW Madalena will want them all, starting with those two (or one if they were sisters and one was the queen).

Did Richard leave his "one true king" sword by the gallows at the end of his "If I was a blacksmith" song?  I could not remember if he had it with him in the 2nd episode

I think he might have and it will be brought up later cause it glowed when he stuck it in the sack of grain. I imagine the big deal will be that no one will be able to pull it out, but him. And he will be King again.

Galavant singing the "Maybe you wont due alone" song while his head kept popping in and out of focus kept making me snort in an undignified manner. This show is just so great, it baffles me that more people are not watching it. 

I hope this is not the end for Gwen and the Chef. Maybe they run into Galavant and Richard, or they somehow find an army, just in time for the finale? 

I agree with others that this is the rare show where I pretty much ship every ship that even seems close to sailing. 

Awwwww Gareth. Its like the medieval version of "He went to Jared". 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Love the touching gift of earrings with actual ears. Am I the only one who thinks Mags would have been disappointed if the ears weren't attached? lol Those two are made for each other.

Oh, totally! It's like, the earrings are nice and all, but the attached ears are what made it special. Hopefully, it won't start a new trend. "And look, here's a severed finger holding my new ring!" "Oh, he went to Gareth's!"

I'll see myself out now. . .

• Love 19

"Somewhere candlelit."  "So, pretty much anywhere."

I loved this one. As well Gareth's gift of Ears with earrings. He couldn't have given her a more perfect gift. Madelena is still a horrible person but she does have a lovely voice. 

My favorite songs like most everyone else were "Maybe you won't die alone" and "What is this feeling". 

However I still miss the opening Season 1 song. That thing got stuck in my head for days. 

• Love 3

Kept expecting the unicorn to make an appearance during the courtyard scenes.

Can't believe it took me this long to realize that they can all sing! Do you think the show was cast this way, or did they get lucky. Perhaps some of the numbers could have been spoken, but maybe not.

Loved Maddalena's "Feelilngs" song.

Yes, enough with the evil tiara, though it was really scary when she growled at the Chef when he tried to take it off.

Good show. Hope it can keep up the funny/grimness/vulgarity.  

• Love 1

Love the show, hate portmanteau relationship names.

Oh, God, yes.

I don't know if it's a continuity error, but Madelena refers to the "seven kingdoms," and I'm pretty sure Galavant said he was the hero of the "five realms."

I kind of like that Galavant is once again owning that he is a hero, not the washed-up loser from last season.

Oh, God, yes.

I don't know if it's a continuity error, but Madelena refers to the "seven kingdoms," and I'm pretty sure Galavant said he was the hero of the "five realms."

I kind of like that Galavant is once again owning that he is a hero, not the washed-up loser from last season.

Maybe it means that Galavant is kickass in 5 out of 7 kingdoms and he doesn't visit those other two realms. Or they're not sure how many realms kingdoms or duchies there are in this medieval setting. 

Maybe it means that Galavant is kickass in 5 out of 7 kingdoms and he doesn't visit those other two realms. Or they're not sure how many realms kingdoms or duchies there are in this medieval setting. 

I noticed that last season and again this season.  I asked Kat Likkel about it this afternoon but she hasn't replied yet.  Hopefully we get some answer - whether it's a deliberate joke or another "easter egg".

I noticed that last season and again this season.  I asked Kat Likkel about it this afternoon but she hasn't replied yet.  Hopefully we get some answer - whether it's a deliberate joke or another "easter egg".

Do we know where John Ham is from ? 

I like!  Definitely need to suggest that one in the Twitter-verse.

HighQueenEB, as I don't have a twitter account, feel free to put #Sigar into the Twitterverse on my behalf! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 1

Mark me as another disappointed in Isabella's [non-]story.  Yes, she looks great, and she can act but she needs to get out of the doll-house now.

I was really hoping that Vincenzio was going to take the tiara and give it to Gwen.  That could have had all sorts of comic implications, but nooooooooooo...  

Otherwise, great fun as usual!

• Love 1

Is that even realistic though? Richard seems like he belongs at the Enchanted Forest bar if you know what I mean.

Oh man, I would love it if Richard came to the realization that he had Gareth kidnap the wrong half of the Galavant/Madalena couple way back when, complete with lovelorn solo number by moonlight. Seems likelier that he just picked up a lot of dear old Dad's mannerisms  while growing up, though.

Love the show, hate portmanteau relationship names.

Amen to this. As far as I'm concerned they belong on Tumblr with all the One Direction fanfic written by tween girls.

The guy who played the head peasant, Matt Lucas, was Thenardier in the 25th Anniversary Les Mis.  He also plays Tweedledum and Tweedledee in the upcoming Alice Through the Looking Glass.

He was also the main villain of the series Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire, which sort of paved the way for Medieval farces with oddly modern sensibilities on TV. (Though Galavant is its superior in every respect!)

Edited by Bruinsfan

This. This is why I said I got a little whiplash. I know they showed her getting bullied in the past, but I was expecting her to slay at that roasting and bully them and rub it in that she's now a queen. Or for her to get the last word in. Something. Instead we got poor, little madalena. It was too much of a 180 for my liking. It just felt a bit off to me. I was expecting her to pull what gareth did with the earrings, but it didn't happen. :(

Agreed - but I can also see how she could be intimidated. If she lived her whole life with the embarrassment of being dissed by the queenies, and *finally* gets invited to the grown-ups' table, I could see how she let them run with it and treat her like crap. Her evil ways are a defense mechanism of sorts. Typical "I hate you before you can hate me" stuff.  (Don't get me wrong, I love her evilness.)

ETA to recognize several of you had same reax and I hadn't read them all!

Edited by betsyboo

Awwwww Gareth. Its like the medieval version of "He went to Jared". 

^ that just made me snort my Lean Cuisine all over my desk. TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The guy who played the head peasant, Matt Lucas, was Thenardier in the 25th Anniversary Les Mis.  He also plays Tweedledum and Tweedledee in the upcoming Alice Through the Looking Glass.

This is what I came to say! I kept staring at him and staring at him - I thought maybe it was the same actor who played the eunuch last season. Then I realized i just needed to imagine him with horrible teeth! (This makes me long for an Alfie Boe cameo.)

Count me amongst the shippers for all couples. I very much enjoyed Izzy's hip thrust at the end of her number (under the spell.)

I just love all of it. Every stupid minute. And for me, the highlight of the hour was of course: "We're officially big pimpin'."

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1

I liked Richards song about what new occupation he could have but didn't know enough about any of them. " Anyone can plant a cake." Sung with total conviction and cluelessness.

"First I'll hit the thing with the other thing, 'til I make another thing!"

• Love 3

what* was Wormwood's evil assistant's name? I think I missed it.

Besides Bobbi reminding me of Tauriel, Wormwood and his assistant remind me a bit of Sir Edgar and Heston from the Ella Enchanted movie. A villain and his sidekick plot to use a royal crown (or tiara) to somehow (by way of poison and mind control) get control over the kingdom?

The Madalena storyline is sitting better for me after a few days of thinking about it (and humming that beautiful somgover and over). I just hope she doesn't go too soft. I like Evil Queen Madalena,

*wrong "w"

Edited by HoodlumSheep

He was also the main villain of the series Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire, which sort of paved the way for Medieval farces with oddly modern sensibilities on TV. (Though Galavant is its superior in every respect!)

Everyone should check out his work with David Walliams in the series Little Britain.

• Love 2

How could I forget the groom to be strapped to the back of the Jester to dance with Isabella.

ROFL

That was my favourite part too.

Is that even realistic though? Richard seems like he belongs at the Enchanted Forest bar if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I've got the same feeling. I mean, at the beginning I thought he was attracted to Madalena (and that was why he had kidnapped her), but I'm not so sure anymore. 

Loved these episodes. The adventures of Galavant, Richard and now Roberta are hilarious. King Richard's a brilliant character, I could watch him all day. And I like that he's got his own quest: by helping Galavant, he's learning to be a better person and a better king. 

Mutilated ears shouldn't be so sweet. 

"That's not a thing!". Gareth had me rolling. And are his sheets made of leather? LOL

• Love 4

Mutilated ears shouldn't be so sweet. 

What makes them sweet (instead of gross and disgusting) is knowing to whom those earrings belonged and that there was only one way Gareth could have gotten them with the ears still attached. In other words, Gareth not only got Madalena the earrings, he also avenged her by killing (or at least mutilating) the harpies who had humiliated her.

Just try not to think about it too much once it comes to you, and it will continue to be the sweetest thing he's ever done for her.

• Love 2

Can't believe it took me this long to realize that they can all sing! Do you think the show was cast this way, or did they get lucky. Perhaps some of the numbers could have been spoken, but maybe not.

Vinnie Jones can't really sing, but I don't give a damn because he's clearly having a lot of fun anyway.

• Love 5

The problem with group production numbers for me is that I can rarely make out what they're singing unless I have closed captioning on.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

The problem with group production numbers for me is that I can rarely make out what they're singing unless I have closed capitioning on.

I always watch with closed-captioning on, and I thought the opening number was pretty hilarious.  I also loved Richard's song in the first episode and all the Sid/Gareth interactions (especially the pulling out bad dreams scene) - so I really enjoyed the first episode.  As much as the second, if not more.

I do too.  I missed the unicorn - they showed remarkable restraint in not having it on again, but I hope it does reappear at some point.

I assume it'll make a return...and ignore Richard, who will have taken a step forward in his relationship with Bobbie. /speculation/

• Love 3

Can't believe it took me this long to realize that they can all sing! Do you think the show was cast this way, or did they get lucky.

Seeing as it's a musical I'm willing to bet singing ability was a requirement for most of the lead actors. Yeah, Vinnie Jones isn't known for singing ability, as Xantar pointed out, but he was able to carry his own in that number and probably isn't assigned much in the way of songs.

There's always room in a musical for one cast member who sings hilariously badly so they can make a joke of it. Well, maybe not Les Misérables, but any musical comedy.

Funny you should say that, because 

apparently there is an homage to/parody of Les Miz coming up in next week's episodes.

"Remember, it's (Wedding ) Plan, (Evil) Plot and (Color) Scheme!"? I've been giggling about that since last night.

I think that was a shout out to "The Court Jester" scene with "...the potion with the poison.." Anyone who likes this show should see that movie.

• Love 3

I tried to watch "Krod", but it got tiresome by the end of episode 2.

I think that was a shout out to "The Court Jester" scene with "...the potion with the poison.." Anyone who likes this show should see that movie.

Yay, verily, yay.  We had watched just a day or two before and I cracked up, not only over the "plot", "plan", scheme", business, but they also threw in a  "Get it?" "Got it!" "Good!"

• Love 4

Sooo, these two episodes three of four main female characters being:

a) mind-controlled while being kept hostage;

b) overwhelmed by sudden "feelings" and did nothing to save themselves;

c) take on hero's journey because... they're in love with the person that tags along to the journey as well.

So much agency all 'round, I can't barely stand it!

On the other hand, Richard is the best.

• Love 1

Sooo, these two episodes three of four main female characters being:

c) take on hero's journey because... they're in love with the person that tags along to the journey as well.

So much agency all 'round, I can't barely stand it!

On the other hand, Bobbi is portrayed as the only one of the three that's consistently competent. She's not just mooning over Richard.

• Love 3

I'm actually wondering what happened to all the confidence and competence Galavant demonstrated in the first season. His goal is to rescue Isabella, not overthrow the kingdom of Hortensia, so I don't see why he needs some massive army when sneaking into the palace alone with something to snap the lock on that Barbie house should do.