Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Aw, Hell, The King / S02.E04: Bewitched, Bothered, And Belittled

Episode 3:

Desperate to raise an army and storm Hortensia, Galavant and King Richard return to his former castle to find the village thriving, now that they've found democracy. The discovery leads Richard to have an identity crisis now that his people don't need him. Galavant uses a town hall meeting to recruit fighters from the village, but the volunteers are in short supply. In Hortensia, an evil wedding planner named Wormwood poisons Isabella's mind with an enchanted tiara, intent on making her help him take over the kingdom. Meanwhile, Madalena threatens Sid with death unless he helps Gareth overcome his guilt-ridden nightmares about betraying Richard.

Episode 4:

While continuing their quest to gather an army, King Richard discovers that he has a connection to Roberta, the beautiful warrior who volunteered to help. Galavant plays matchmaker. Madalena is invited to the Basikobitcz party - the "it" girls of the kingdom - and can't wait to be accepted into their group. The party is not what she expected, and, when she returns home, she discovers that she has feelings and does not like her new emotion. Gareth cheers her up with a present while Chef tries to convince Gwen that their lives are better in Hortencia. Under Wormwood's spell, Isabella is in full wedding-planning mode.

I'm fine with Madalena having feelings, just please keep her evil too.

Richard really is the MVP so far this season. "If I Were A Jolly Locksmith" was hilarious. And I'm totally shipping him with Roberta...

But I'm trying not to bang my head repeatedly over the craptastic direction Isabella is going. This stupid magic tiara storyline better end soon.

At this point, I'm rooting for her parents to just die already.

Will Chef and Gwynne be back?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

"What is this feeling...?" That is going to be stuck in my head for awhile.

I melted at Gareth presenting her with his gift. I had a feeling he was going to go do something about it...but what a surprisingly delicate attention. :)

Richard continues to make me swoon. I was glad to hear Galavant singing, and such a substantial song.

Please somebody cut the power to that evil tiara!

Edited by HouseofBeck
  • Love 4

Damnit, Galavant, you're not supposed to make me feel sorry for Madelena. However, I loved the mean queens and I laughed at the carriage moving and the roast.

One of the things I love about this show is how ambivalent so many of characters are to being in a musical -- like Galavant's sigh of annoyance during the democracy number.

Liked all the numbers in these episodes, but I agree that Isabella's story line is the weakest.

• Love 3

But I'm trying not to bang my head repeatedly over the craptastic direction Isabella is going. This stupid magic tiara storyline better end soon.?

But her acting is so fun under the spell that I just can't not like it even though I know it's wrong of me.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

The second episodes seem to be the stronger ones.

Poor Richard. Felt bad for him during his "Blacksmith" song. Also, Wormwood is creepy and evil!!!!

#PeasantLove is adorable and sweet.

Shipping #Richerta (named by the KingsBeard himself on twitter) already. Like how they were apparently childhood friends.

Sid and that good/bad dream routine with Gareth was so sweet.

While that song by Madalena was beautiful, I feel like I got a bit of whiplash from her being so deliciously mean and evil in the past episodes to the sudden "poor madalena, she was bullied, they're so mean to her.." stuff we got. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a "woe is me" thing like a certain other character from a certain other show...

"Is this a feeling," "maybe you won't die alone," and the "blacksmith" song were my favorites of the night. And yeah, I know I probably got those titles wrong (I'm paraphrasing, here). I'm not familiar with the official song titles yet.

Izzy and Galavant are rather stagnant in terms of character development this year.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

I don't know if I buy that Madalena would put up with Mean Queen crap like that for more than two seconds but I guess it was worth it for her "Feelings" song and Gareth's giftbox of earrings. Now with Extra Ears!

And wow, how tall is Mallory Jansen? She was a good head taller than both of the Mean Queens.

• Love 5

I don't know if I buy that Madalena would put up with Mean Queen crap like that for more than two seconds but I guess it was worth it for her "Feelings" song and Gareth's giftbox of earrings. Now with Extra Ears!

This. This is why I said I got a little whiplash. I know they showed her getting bullied in the past, but I was expecting her to slay at that roasting and bully them and rub it in that she's now a queen. Or for her to get the last word in. Something. Instead we got poor, little madalena. It was too much of a 180 for my liking. It just felt a bit off to me. I was expecting her to pull what gareth did with the earrings, but it didn't happen. :(

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

Yeah, it was sweet that Gareth got her the perfect gift, but the Madalena of the end of last season would have left that roast with the castle burning behind her.

I do like that Richard hasn't been terribly upset about losing his kingdom, beyond the identity crisis it threw him into. And I was dying when he revealed that he'd smuggled the Jewel of Valencia out by swallowing it! Clearly his fist-swallowing trick was good practice...

• Love 4

Both episodes had great songs but I seem to prefer the even number episodes as far as story goes.

Madalena is a horrible woman so I didn't feel too bad about the "mean girls". However, the actress has a lovely voice and that scene with Madalena/Gareth was surprisingly sweet.

I loved Richard's song tonight, Timothy Omundson has a lovely voice. However, I still think "goodnight my friend" was his best song (to date).

I never realized that the actress who plays Gwendolyn had such a powerful voice. I loved the Chef/Gwen song tonight as well and the Happy Wedding Song...actually all of tonight's songs were very good.

Speaking of Hortensia is the Jester the same actor? I don't know what it is but his face looks different...maybe a bit rounder? It keeps throwing me off.

I like Roberta, she's fun but the actress reminds me of The Wicked Witch from OUAT and it keeps throwing me off.

Big fan of them making the baddies more interesting by making Gareth feel guilty about Richard and caring that Madalena felt bad; and showing Madalena humiliated and where her dreams of being a Queen came from. I always thought Madalena had the potential to be one of the types of character I like, those awful yet interesting evil women, but they were a bit off mark until now. I thought this was the actress' best episode to date, too, IMO. So I hope they keep milking her potential to be a good, over the top yet interesting, antagonist.

I feel like the show is too splintered, though. There are too many plotlines and not enough time. The episodes are too short. And Galavant seems like a secondary character in his own show because of it... which doesn't bother me per se, but it does feel weird.

• Love 6

Richard really is the MVP so far this season. "If I Were A Jolly Locksmith" was hilarious. And I'm totally shipping him with Roberta...

But I'm trying not to bang my head repeatedly over the craptastic direction Isabella is going. This stupid magic tiara storyline better end soon.

At this point, I'm rooting for her parents to just die already.

I'm experiencing this massive cognitive dissonance because I'm starting to find Richard even hotter than Galavant. I'm hopping on the Richard/Roberta ship, too. Also, hearing his identity crisis song has made me a bit obsessed with hearing Omundson sing "Dancing Nancies" by DMB.

And, yes, Isabella's parents and Isabella's storyline are the worst, though it is funny to see her acting so manically happy.

"What is this feeling...?" That is going to be stuck in my head for awhile.

I melted at Gareth presenting her with his gift. I had a feeling he was going to go do something about it...but what a surprisingly delicate attention. :)

Gareth was so adorable with his gift. It's hilarious how he is so gruff and tough, but clearly needs someone to nurture and protect. I'm trying to decide if Sid is better off with these two than he was with Galavant. Sure, he's under constant threat of death, but it's got to be more interesting than taking care of the drunk!

Speaking of Hortensia is the Jester the same actor? I don't know what it is but his face looks different...maybe a bit rounder? It keeps throwing me off.

I saw the same actor's name in the credits; maybe he really was cuter pre-dungeon!

Last week, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to love Season 2 as much since the newness is gone, but there were so many moments tonight that made me LOL like a loon: Izzie's post-breakup self-torture, Richard's baby fights (now with Cobras!), that "Kiss the Girl" lead-in (I'm fine with it being a shout-out every season), Galavant popping up in the same outfit as the musicians, Gwynne flipping out about the wasted food, Gareth's gift to Madalena. Also hilarious: the citizens of Richard's land being confused about which true love Galavant was going to rescue this time.

• Love 5

I too preferred the second episode tonight, especially since it had both the excellent "Maybe you won't die alone" and Madalena's almost-kind-of-touching feelings song.  I don't mind her having feelings (especially bad ones) so long as they don't make her too squishy.  The earring gag was great too.

And while I don't love Isabella's evil tiara (I was kind of hoping that the singing of the evil plan would mean it wouldn't work), Karen David's perky wedding planning was pretty hilarious, especially the raspy voice when Chef tried to take it away.

• Love 4

"Maybe You Won't Die Alone" -- I know what I'll be replaying all week! 

"Oh relax, Chisel-Chin."  

THIS SHOW!!! 

I think part of the reason I loved "Maybe You Won't Die Alone" so much is because it was such an obvious homage to "Kiss the Girl" from the Little Mermaid but with the Galavant sarcasm twist and interruption of the romance with something like, oh, Richard setting himself on fire!

"Won't Die Alone"

"Kiss the Girl"

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 3

This is going to sound weird, but of the little bits we've seen of Bobbi...

Does she remind anyone else of Tauriel? From The Hobbit movies??? Maybe it's the red hair...and the green clothing...and the warrior skills...and the courage/bravery she seems to have (she was the only volunteer, afterall)...but I get Tauriel vibes from her.

• Love 3

"Surprisingly progressive for the Middle Ages."

"He dropped you like a plague rat."

"What's guilty?"  "That's not a thing."

I want to see Richard trying to be a wet nurse

I like how Show throws in People of Color without any explanation.

"We're officially big pimpin'."

Damn, Chef has some dance moves! Did we know his name is Vincenzo?

"Somewhere candlelit."  "So, pretty much anywhere."

Gwen's hatred of beds is funny.  "I haven't had a disease in weeks."

Aw, poor Roberta.

"I forgot to take the ears off."  OMG.  Laughing loud.

• Love 6

IA with the parts that are the weaker links.  But I think everyone is sounding better during their singing moments.  I just hope they won't cancel it, because I'm tired of watching something I like taken off the air, while something that isn't as strong or fun lives on.

I doubt the Queen will stay nice.  I suspect it will just be a bit of indigestion and she will return to her nasty self in record time.  But it might be fun to see if she softens just a tad every once in awhile.  :)

The first thing I thought of during the Get Richard to fall in love, was "Kiss the Girl" 

Hopefully someone will steal the tiara next week.  But they have to give a reason for her not to just walk away.  But I'm fine with it ending now.  lol

• Love 1

I just love all the Richard stuff. Him being such an idiot and not seeing that Roberta likes him is so endearing. Galavant singing to them was awesome, as was all the other numbers. I almost felt sorry for Magdalena, but she's such a bitch.

It feels weird that Galavant and Isabella are secondary characters this season. I miss their interactions.

• Love 3

For those saying it's weird that Madalena didn't react.. well honestly I found her reaction to be true to form.. As much as you can try to act like nothing gets to you and while I do believe Madalena doesn't give a rat's ass about anything (it's part of why I love her). There's still that part of her that remembers that feeling.. If anyone else had tried that roast they would be already dead, but since it was someone who clearly marked her? It was a little tougher..

She was expecting to be accepted into this prestigious group.. and was completely blindsided by their reaction.. So of course her reaction wasn't the normal one. I have no fear by next episode she'll be back to queen we love.. we all have our moments of weakness, plus it gave us Mallory singing which is always a plus in my book!

I love Galavant and Isabella but at the same time I'm glad other characters are getting a chance to shine? Because not many shows to that.. And although I love Karen's acting I hope this tiara plot is resolved quickly..

• Like 1
  • Love 14

For those saying it's weird that Madalena didn't react.. well honestly I found her reaction to be true to form.. As much as you can try to act like nothing gets to you and while I do believe Madalena doesn't give a rat's ass about anything (it's part of why I love her). There's still that part of her that remembers that feeling.. If anyone else had tried that roast they would be already dead, but since it was someone who clearly marked her? It was a little tougher..

She was expecting to be accepted into this prestigious group.. and was completely blindsided by their reaction.. So of course her reaction wasn't the normal one. I have no fear by next episode she'll be back to queen we love.. we all have our moments of weakness, plus it gave us Mallory singing which is always a plus in my book!

Agree 100%.  I was going to write up a response similar to yours but you pretty much expressed my thoughts on this subject perfectly.

I love Galavant and Isabella but at the same time I'm glad other characters are getting a chance to shine? Because not many shows to that.. And although I love Karen's acting I hope this tiara plot is resolved quickly.

I agree about Galavant seeming almost like a secondary character this season.  I don't think Isabella is getting secondary treatment but I just am not feeling her storyline at all, in any way, shape, or form.  I realize her parents are acting exactly like medieval rulers would have acted in not giving a rat's ass about her feelings regarding her marriage but it still grates this 21st-century sensibility of mine. 

Thank God that enchanted tiara of hers gets knocked off in the first episode next week per the episode description.

There was so much goodness in tonight's episodes.  I especially loved the Sid & Gareth bonding.  Karen David tweeted that we need a ship name for them, so I suppose we best get to brainstorming!  Oh, and I can't be the only one who wants to have Faith Prince back again just so we can hear her version of that song she sings to Sid when he's down.

I also love it when Richard questions Galavant with "are you serious?!"  I hope, if the show gets a third season, that we get one of those again, becoming a running gag in every season, lol. 

While I agree that the first episode was weaker than the second, it was still a good one.  I enjoyed King Richard's former kingdom converting to democracy and that town hall meeting.  But, it's hard to recognize that when the second episode had such wonderful songs like Galavant's "Serenade" (that's it's official title for anyone who goes looking to buy it on iTunes, Amazon or Google Play) and "What Am I Feeling?"  It also didn't hurt that the second episode also had #PeasantLove. 

Will Chef and Gwynne be back?

I will miss them - I think they have Izzy's back far more than the Jester does.  I said it in the Isabella thread last week but it bears repeating - the Jester is giving me whiplash.  One minute he's all in favor of her marrying Harry, then he's helping her escape, and now he's back to being supportive of her marrying Harry and completely dense about her changed behavior.  Chef & Gwynne at least could see that there was something off in Izzy's behavior after that tiara was placed on her head. 

Apparently Darren Evans and Sophie McShera had scheduling conflicts this fall so they weren't available for 5/6 and 7/8 but yes, they'll be back for 9/10 from what Kat Likkel tweeted last week.

• Love 4

Richard running around to tell Galavant that Bobbi was his old playmate during the fight scene is exactly why I love Richard. He gets so excited like a puppy and he just ends up running around all excited, barking and wagging his tail. I realize it doesn't make him a very good ally because he's so easily distracted but it's cute when my life isn't in danger.

I also really loved that after he got over his initial righteous indignation, he started trying to figure out who he is now, rather than continuing his old ways of threatening people to get his way or totally moping.

LOVED the "Kiss the Girl" homage. I just bought tickets to see the national tour of The Little Mermaid musical so that totally cracked me up.

I hope Vincenzo and Gwynne come back. Maybe they will run into Galavant, Richard, and Bobbi and join True Love's Army.

Awww, Gareth always knows the perfect gift to give!

• Love 6

This show is just a series of perfect gems. I don't care about Isabella and the evil tiara, but who could give up dialog like, "Remember, it's (Wedding ) Plan, (Evil) Plot and (Color) Scheme!"? I've been giggling about that since last night.

I watch this show with the CC on so i don't miss any of the jokes, which sometimes whiz by at lightening speed. (Like the baby fights... with cobra)

Richard has become my favorite disposed virgin king.

Beside, give the bits and pieces I saw of the Golden Globes last night, Galavant was much the better choice!

• Love 4

I also really loved that after he got over his initial righteous indignation, he started trying to figure out who he is now, rather than continuing his old ways of threatening people to get his way or totally moping.

And Mr. Stabby glowed when Richard had his epiphany.

• Love 7

Well Galavant has made me ship Madalena and Gareth. They are both evil and strangly sweet.

Plus I love Richard and Bobbi. This episode was shiptastic.

And yes the Isabela stuff is the weak link but the show had to keep her from trying to constantly escape and an evil crown is a decent way of doing that. It is just the least interesting storyline.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

I loved Richard's song tonight, Timothy Omundson has a lovely voice. However, I still think "goodnight my friend" was his best song (to date).

<snip>

I like Roberta, she's fun but the actress reminds me of The Wicked Witch from OUAT and it keeps throwing me off.

Goodnight My Friend was the best song of S1 to me (although Chef and Gwen's songs in S1 come close).

I get the Wicked Witch from OUAT too!  But I find her annoying and I haven't but irked by Bobby yet.  Although Richard and Bobby's couple name has to be Ricky Bobby.

Gareth was so adorable with his gift. It's hilarious how he is so gruff and tough, but clearly needs someone to nurture and protect. I'm trying to decide if Sid is better off with these two than he was with Galavant. Sure, he's under constant threat of death, but it's got to be more interesting than taking care of the drunk!

I thought he was going to rip Sid's head off when he started to sing, but then he said there was one more lingering bad dream that needed to be pulled out...awesome!

"We're officially big pimpin'."

Damn, Chef has some dance moves! Did we know his name is Vincenzo?

I love Chef!  And we found out his name was Vincenzo about halfway through S1.

More thoughts on re-watch, but for now:

Congrats show! you manged to make severed ears a really sweet gift

That was unexpected and LOL worthy!

This show is just a series of perfect gems. I don't care about Isabella and the evil tiara, but who could give up dialog like, "Remember, it's (Wedding ) Plan, (Evil) Plot and (Color) Scheme!"? I've been giggling about that since last night.

I watch this show with the CC on so i don't miss any of the jokes, which sometimes whiz by at lightening speed. (Like the baby fights... with cobra)

Richard has become my favorite disposed virgin king.

Beside, give the bits and pieces I saw of the Golden Globes last night, Galavant was much the better choice!

I do too.  I missed the unicorn - they showed remarkable restraint in not having it on again, but I hope it does reappear at some point.

• Love 6

Let's not forget the song about democracy. It cracked me up the way different groups kept getting added to those who don't have the vote (what does this show have against red-heads?), ending up with the vote only going to "people that look like me." Too funny and, unfortunately, too true.

• Love 12

Once again, Chef and Gwynne had the best scenes and the best song so far.  Darren Evans and Sophie McShera have proven to be both talented singers and great comedic actors.  I hope they still get parts that emphasize their talents.

Still a little squicked out by the "grown up Isabella marrying her little boy cousin" plotline, even if it is done for laughs.  I guess that's camp for ya.

We actually got to see a tender side to Madalena.  I sympathized with her because I got made fun of by privileged snobs often.  I'm sure several of my fellow previously.tv users have as well.  I did wish she got to exact her revenge on the two princesses herself, but Gareth showing his love by get his queen new earrings (previously owned, so to speak) was sweet in a macabre way.

The whole sequence of Galavant singing in the restaurant was hilarious, what with him popping up in unexpected places.  Plus, I loved that he dressed like the other minstrels for it.  Joshua Sasse looked very nice in that outfit. 

One nitpick is in the first part, after that song about Richard's former kingdom now being a democracy and how it pointed out that women (among others) don't have a vote, we still see and hear women voting at the town hall meeting.  Just seemed weird.

Sid continues to be the weakest link this season, though the "pulling the bad dreams out" scene with Gareth was cute.

• Love 2

Another thought about Madalena: unlike everyone else who she couldn't care less about, those two queens were people she actually admired and aspired to be like. Then they completely cut her down.

• Love 3

Richard running around to tell Galavant that Bobbi was his old playmate during the fight scene is exactly why I love Richard. He gets so excited like a puppy and he just ends up running around all excited, barking and wagging his tail. I realize it doesn't make him a very good ally because he's so easily distracted but it's cute when my life isn't in danger.

Hey now, the man swallowed a jewel the size of his fist and extricated it and offered it up for Gal to pay for an army to win back Isabella rather than his kingdom. Duck did good in that sense!

Gareth's 'There still one more (bad dream) in there' was SO adorable. And then he goes on a 'No one makes my Queen cry her own tears!' rampage that made you love him even more.

So all we need now is a pairing for Sid and Jester as we have Gal/Isabella, Gareth/Magdalena, Richard/Bobby (she'll get that unicorn off his back!), and Gwen/Chef.

I miss them singing the main theme song. I need Galavant and Jester belting it out and singing their little hearts out before season's end.

• Love 2

Still a little squicked out by the "grown up Isabella marrying her little boy cousin" plotline, even if it is done for laughs.  I guess that's camp for ya.

It's not any different than adult men marrying little girls just because they happen to be the daughters of kings.  (See Richard II of England and his second wife, seven-year-old Isabella of Valois, daughter of the king of France.)  Definitely squicky, but not unheard of in medieval times. 

I realize her parents are acting exactly like medieval rulers would have acted in not giving a rat's ass about her feelings regarding her marriage but it still grates this 21st-century sensibility of mine

It's not so much their attitude about the marriage as much as it is they act like they're really loving parents, and yet in reality don't give a shit that her fiancé locks her up in a dollhouse just as long as they don't have to pay for the wedding.

I really hope the Galabella stuff resolved this season if only so her jerkass father has to pay every single dime he has for the big wedding.  Or have Isabella disown them completely.  Whichever.

• Love 2

You know, this may be the only show, ever where I like all of the actual pairings. Love Gal and Izzy Galizzy? Adore Magdelena and Gareth, Magdeleth? Already hooked on Richard and Roberta Richerta? Chef and Gwen...Chwen (okay, the portmanteaus suck, but the couples are adorable!)

Another great pair of eps. Loved...all of it. Didn't even mind the stupid Izzy storyline this time because my god Karen David is stunning! Can't wait till the spell is broken and she kicks a little ass (not spoiler, just assuming that is going to happen because this is not the kind of show that is going to go with the typical hero saves the damsel crap.) Great songs. Great laughs. MIssed the baby fighting with added cobras bit the first time around. Love the touching gift of earrings with actual ears. Am I the only one who thinks Mags would have been disappointed if the ears weren't attached? lol Those two are made for each other.

I can't wait for the whole gang to get back together though. If the show were doing well and I knew there'd be another season I wouldn't mind the separation but fearing that this is going to be it, I'd rather see them all together again.

• Love 4

You know, this may be the only show, ever where I like all of the actual pairings. Love Gal and Izzy Galizzy? Adore Magdelena and Gareth, Magdeleth? Already hooked on Richard and Roberta Richerta? Chef and Gwen...Chwen (okay, the portmanteaus suck, but the couples are adorable!)

The Gal & Izzy ship is officially #Galabella - even Karen David calls it that, lol.  Madalena & Gareth was named #Garalena this fall and it's picking up steam in the Twitter-verse.  Tim Omundson himself named Richard & Roberta #Richerta and tweeted that last night.  Chef & Gwynne...  I've seen #Gwyncenzo as well as #PeasantLove.  I think #PeasantLove is the more popular of the two.  Galavant & Richard's bromance is called #Richavant, I believe.

And Karen David said we need to nickname the Sid & Gareth bromance.  My humble suggestions are #Sidreth or #GarSid.

• Love 4

I like

The Gal & Izzy ship is officially #Galabella - even Karen David calls it that, lol.  Madalena & Gareth was named #Garalena this fall and it's picking up steam in the Twitter-verse.  Tim Omundson himself named Richard & Roberta #Richerta and tweeted that last night.  Chef & Gwynne...  I've seen #Gwyncenzo as well as #PeasantLove.  I think #PeasantLove is the more popular of the two.  Galavant & Richard's bromance is called #Richavant, I believe.

And Karen David said we need to nickname the Sid & Gareth bromance.  My humble suggestions are #Sidreth or #GarSid.

My suggestion is #Sigar (kinda like Tiger but not!) 

(edited for hashtaggery)

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 1

I'm hopping on the Richard/Roberta ship, too.

Is that even realistic though? Richard seems like he belongs at the Enchanted Forest bar if you know what I mean.

This show just makes me smile so much. Why don't more people watch it? That ratings for last night's episodes hit an all-time low. 

• Love 1