Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Ua ola loko i ke aloha (Love Gives Life Within)

• Start Topic

Is the music for Hawaii 5-0 episodes listed anywhere? I'm looking for the song played at the beginning when Deb's husband's urn is taken out to sea. That soaring voice has got to be Robert Cazimero.

• Love 1

The first thing I thought when I read the translation of the title - Love gives life within - was that Kono finds out she is pregnant. I hope I am wrong.

That's what I thought/was wondering too. Happily (at least so far) it looks like we were wrong.

• Love 1

Is the music for Hawaii 5-0 episodes listed anywhere? I'm looking for the song played at the beginning when Deb's husband's urn is taken out to sea. That soaring voice has got to be Robert Cazimero.

The song's been used in at least 1 other H50 ep, from a previous season. Maybe, but I'm not positive, over the scene where the ashes of Chin's wife, Malia, were scattered on the ocean after she died, OR the scene involving the "paddle out" for Kono's surfing mentor who was murdered in an S1 ep. It may also have been in other eps, but I'm not positive.

I recognized it when I heard it, so I Googled some of the lyrics & watched part of a YouTube video that came up in the search results, to be sure it was correct, before responding.

Anyway...

Google says it's Hawai'i '78, from the album Facing Future by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole.

• Love 2

The song's been used in at least 1 other H50 ep, from a previous season. Maybe, but I'm not positive, over the scene where the ashes of Chin's wife, Malia, were scattered on the ocean after she died, OR the scene involving the "paddle out" for Kono's surfing mentor who was murdered in an S1 ep. It may also have been in other eps, but I'm not positive.

I recognized it when I heard it, so I Googled some of the lyrics & watched part of a YouTube video that came up in the search results, to be sure it was correct, before responding.

Anyway...

Google says it's Hawai'i '78, from the album Facing Future by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole.

Hawai'i '78: Apparently the song has 2 titles. Hawai'i 78 doesn't seem to refer to anything in the song but you lead me in the right direction to find the other title. My mind was so fixed on Robert Cazimero, I totally forgot Iz. The song's other title is: "Ua Mau ke Ea o ka 'Āina i ka Pono o Hawaii" It's actually kind of an environmental lament, sung partially in Hawaiian and partially in English. I guess Iz tacked on the o Hawaii just to avoid swiping the state motto. I'm not sure why HI 5-0 keeps using it for scattering of ashes. Maybe a metaphor? Or maybe because the song sounds so emotional and most viewers won't understand the translation of just the beginning.

Here's the link to the whole song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsANaXp4hM

I was never much of a fan of Iz but he did have some truly great songs, and this IMO is one of them.

Also "Ua Mau ke ea o ka 'Āina i ka Pono" is the official state motto and is on the state seal. It means "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness" (basically, take care of the land and the land will take care of you).

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Edited by Uke
  • Love 2

Braddah Iz! I am pretty sure this show is saving his "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" (which may be the saddest song in the history of sad songs) for the finale.

I enjoyed the episode overall. Lots of good character moments. McGarrett checking on Kono was overdue. Chin getting some action was awesome. I prefer Abby's version in which Chin was the aggressor. In any case, he's getting some. Funny that that is what inspires the detective skills of his comrades.

I am a Microsoft fan myself so I appreciated the diss of the Apple watch as a "Dick Tracy" watch. I also noticed that the "Jerry alert" means that Jerry Ortega is one of the few people actually developing apps for Windows Phone.

The "villain" motivation in this episode didn't make a lot of sense. God damn, there's two tons of explosives here! I'd better steal a van and drive them around myself!

Aunt Deb made me cry. I'm man enough to admit it.

• Love 1

What is Mary supposed to be doing for a living now? And I never was clear on how she acquired a child.

I don't care for the actress that plays Mary; she looks too young to be Steve's sister, unless there is supposed to be a fairly large age gap. Her manner of speaking also sounds very juvenile to me.

Thank god for no Kono pregnancy! Although, hasn't Adam only been in prison for about a month? Still time for some farewell whoopie after effects.

• Love 2

Hawai'i '78: Apparently the song has 2 titles. Hawai'i 78 doesn't seem to refer to anything in the song but you lead me in the right direction to find the other title. My mind was so fixed on Robert Cazimero, I totally forgot Iz. The song's other title is: "Ua Mau ke Ea o ka 'Āina i ka Pono o Hawaii" It's actually kind of an environmental lament, sung partially in Hawaiian and partially in English. I guess Iz tacked on the o Hawaii just to avoid swiping the state motto. I'm not sure why HI 5-0 keeps using it for scattering of ashes. Maybe a metaphor? Or maybe because the song sounds so emotional and most viewers won't understand the translation of just the beginning.

Here's the link to the whole song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsANaXp4hM

I was never much of a fan of Iz but he did have some truly great songs, and this IMO is one of them.

Also "Ua Mau ke ea o ka 'Āina i ka Pono" is the official state motto and is on the state seal. It means "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness" (basically, take care of the land and the land will take care of you).

Anyway, thanks for the help!

You're right. The song, as you wrote, also has a/an Hawaiian title. I know Iz was Hawaiian; maybe he chose to also give it an English title to make it easier for people who were looking for it & didn't want to attempt to say, or write, (& butcher/misspell) the Hawaiian language version of the title (a valid reason, perhaps).

I think they use the song over things like paddle outs & ash scattering scenes because it sounds appropriately sad for events like that, & it's in the Hawaiian language (at least the brief part they always seem to use, which includes the state motto phrase, is), which is appropriate for the setting of the show overall, & because at least a paddle out is a/an Hawaiian cultural thing.

You're welcome for the help. By the way, there is a site, tunefind.com, that's supposed to list the songs in episodic TV (& maybe some other stuff). They have the show overall, & they had this ep listed already, but for some reason they didn't have the ash scattering scene with Hawaiʻi '78 among the songs from this ep. So I Googled the lyrics I always remember from the song (i ka pono o Hawaii) & found it that way.

• Love 1

What is Mary supposed to be doing for a living now? And I never was clear on how she acquired a child.

I don't care for the actress that plays Mary; she looks too young to be Steve's sister, unless there is supposed to be a fairly large age gap. Her manner of speaking also sounds very juvenile to me.

Thank god for no Kono pregnancy! Although, hasn't Adam only been in prison for about a month? Still time for some farewell whoopie after effects.

Seeing as Mary's never really held a steady job in show canon, they didn't mention she had 1 now, & 1 of the things on Aunt Deb's "Bucket List" was "Make sure Mary & Joan are taken care of", I'm wondering if Mary's, as they politely say, "between jobs" right now (& maybe she & Joan got to Hawaii for Aunt Deb's visit by Steve or Aunt Deb paying for their tickets)--&/or Aunt Deb maybe didn't have a lotta faith in her ability to hold a job longterm, so she's gonna make sure they can survive when Mary's not working by transferring her assets to Mary (we know she provided for Mary & Joan, who seem most in need, but I would assume Steve got something from Aunt Deb as well, even though Deb has more of a "history" with Mary, having taken care of her when John sent Steve & Mary to the Mainland, for their safety, as kids after Doris "died").

Or maybe Mary really is getting her life together now, & isn't so much the sort of "substance abusing ne'er do well" the character started out as, & she does have a job but they forgot/didn't choose to write in a mention--just like they forgot/chose not to mention where Danny was in this ep (just saying--& I know Scott Caan's apparently contractually allowed 5 ep "absences" per season; I think this was at least #2, if not #3, for S6).

*Steve* isn't even clear how Mary got to adopt Joan, considering how flaky she at least used to be. They never really explained that very well. I think allowing Mary to adopt was probably Lenkov's & the other writers' way of trying to allow Mary to "grow up" some & hopefully become more responsible, & stop mostly being the flaky person from earlier seasons.

Do you consider 6 years a fairly large age gap? That's the difference in ages between Steve & Mary which was mentioned in an ep from a previous season. I remember the age gap, but I can't remember in which ep it was mentioned now. There's something about Taryn Manning's voice for me too. But I kinda think it helps with the perception Mary at least started out kinda flaky/was a substance abuser & I don't have a problem with her in the role--& she's not on the show that often anyway; especially not since she got the part as Pennsatucky in Orange is the New Black, & she's also still doing movie roles, & DJ gigs in nightclubs in Vegas & other cities, making music, & other things.

I know what you mean about no Kono pregnancy (so far). But yeah, Adam's only been in Hālawa a month or less so it could still happen (presuming the characters had sex before he went to prison... which seems logical, including in real life for couples who know something like that's about to happen for 1 of them).

• Love 1

Taryn Manning is terrible and can barely speak. I don't know how she gets any acting jobs, although I think she's mostly DJing now.

A microfiche reader is not a projector. That's all I got.

She's great on Orange is the New Black, and her character there has had a lot of growth. I don't think she's been given a lot to work with on this show, plus her character as originally introduced, was pretty childlike.

As for the age difference under discussion, Taryn is two years younger than Alex O'Laughlin. So she's playing younger than herself (in terms of the characters' age differences). She's 38 - which is incredible given how young she looks.

Even though Chin and Abby's relationship has been set up and organic, I'm not finding it all that compelling. I like Julie Benz, and I like Daniel Dae Kim, so I don't know why I have a problem with it. Maybe because he's been my secret boyfriend since I first saw him on Lost. LOL.

Was it just me, or did the child on Steve's back in the last scene look like a different child than the one in the previous scenes?

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

She's great on Orange is the New Black, and her character there has had a lot of growth. I don't think she's been given a lot to work with on this show, plus her character as originally introduced, was pretty childlike.

As for the age difference under discussion, Taryn is two years younger than Alex O'Laughlin. So she's playing younger than herself (in terms of the characters' age differences). She's 38 - which is incredible given how young she looks.

Even though Chin and Abby's relationship has been set up and organic, I'm not finding it all that compelling. I like Julie Benz, and I like Daniel Dae Kim, so I don't know why I have a problem with it. Maybe because he's been my secret boyfriend since I first saw him on Lost. LOL.

Was it just me, or did the child on Steve's back in the last scene look like a different child than the one in the previous scenes?

Small point: Technically, Taryn's only a year younger than Alex in real life right now. Alex won't be 40 until August 24th.

• Love 1

Small point: Technically, Taryn's only a year younger than Alex in real life right now. Alex won't be 40 until August 24th.

True enough, if the stated age at any given time of the year indicates the actual age difference. But technically (by the way I count it anyway) Alex is 26 months older than Taryn since he was born August 24, 1976, and Taryn on November 6, 1978. Which makes it two years and two months older, regardless of the time of year.

But the point I was originally making remains the same - they're much closer in age than the stated age of the characters they play. Which, come to think of it, is an even better point if she's a year younger. thanks! :)

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1
(edited)

True enough, if the stated age at any given time of the year indicates the actual age difference. But technically (by the way I count it anyway) Alex is 26 months older than Taryn since he was born August 24, 1976, and Taryn on November 6, 1978. Which makes it two years and two months older, regardless of the time of year.

But the point I was originally making remains the same - they're much closer in age than the stated age of the characters they play. Which, come to think of it, is an even better point if she's a year younger. thanks! :)

It is. But... looking at the birthdate you've given for Taryn, she isn't actually 38 yet, since we haven't reached November, 2016. As of today, she's still 37 & Alex is 39. So your original estimate of 2 years & 2 months age difference (going by the dates of the month, I figured 2 years, 2 months, & almost 2 weeks [13 days] difference, but whatever...) is still accurate.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

It is. But... looking at the birthdate you've given for Taryn, she isn't actually 38 yet, since we haven't reached November, 2016. As of today, she's still 37 & Alex is 39. So your original estimate of 2 years & 2 months age difference (going by the dates of the month, I figured 2 years, 2 months, & 2 weeks difference, but whatever...) is still accurate.

Oops. My bad. Math isn't my strong suit, I guess. :) (I did leave out the two weeks, as I was counting months, but good catch!) Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Oops. My bad. Math isn't my strong suit, I guess. :) (I did leave out the two weeks, as I was counting months, but good catch!)

I don't think it was your math, as much as it was you were writing as if their 2016 birthdays had already happened although they haven't yet. Taryn just turned 37 2 months & 10 days ago.

• Love 1

Nice episode. Sad ending but uplifting. DDK is built like a brick house. Who needs Alex O'Loughlin or Cann? I do miss having Cann on all the episodes but I can't begrudge him wanting to film 5 less episodes a season to see his family. I just don't like all of the other extra characters that TPTB feel is needed to fill the show. I think Alex, Daniel, Grace, and Chi (a little Jerry) are enough to fill an hour show.

• Love 1

Is there anyone who remembers Leilani?  Or what happened to her?  I really liked how things had developed between Chin and Leilani, and the last time I remember, they were exchanging text messages about pancakes and spending time on the beach in each other's arms...  Did she take a job opportunity on mainland and left Chin? 

DDK without shirt is always appreciated, but compared to Chin & Leilani, Chin & Abby seems to be forced and rushed.

• Love 1

I was wondering what happened to Leilani too. She and Chin seemed like a good fit, but then she disappeared. (Or maybe they did explain her absence and I've forgotten.) I'm not really liking Abby all that much. There doesn't seem to be any work-related reason for her to still be there and she and Chin aren't exactly blowing up the screen with chemistry.

I enjoyed the episode, although I'm with Grover, with all the name changes and identities I was a little lost on who was doing what in the bunker

The Aunt Deb story was sad. I know Carol Burnett is old, did she want off the show for good? I liked seeing her. I don't mind Mary so much. She's way less irritating than when she was first on the show. The shopping spree was way too "Pretty Woman" for me, but I'm glad they had fun.

I liked Leilani as well. I forgot what happened to her too. I remember they survived a prison riot together and then she just kind of disappeared.

I agree that this thing between Abby and Chin seems forced. There's no real reason for the character to keep going back and forth between San Francisco and Hawaii, and the actors have no chemistry. Above all, they went from working together to sleeping together without any signs that they were even interested in each other.

I remember it being said that the Valentines Day episode features her, Danny's girlfriend and Steve's love interest. I'm assuming his is the one from that deserted island where they got shot at. Was wondering what happened to her, because clearly she didn't mean much to him if he was cavorting with a stranger in Maui last week.

• Love 1

I remember it being said that the Valentines Day episode features her, Danny's girlfriend and Steve's love interest. 

Now I am afraid to watch the Valentines Day episode... The writers of this show are not good at writing relationships.  At all.

Steve & Catherine was fun to watch at first with his commitment-phobia, then the writers dragged it too long without a clear direction.  Introduction and departure of Lori was too abrupt and meaningless.  Now he is supposed to care about that blind-date-on-the-deserted-island but chasing a total stranger whom he met on the airplane to Maui?

Tension between Danny and Rachel was interesting at first with Grace-cuteness, now Danny is dating a girl who looks like young enough to be his daughter.  And let's not forget Gabby who had to choose between relationship and her career (come on writers, are we still in the 80's??).

Chin finally got love of his life, Malia, then they kills her off so soon.  And Leilani was dropped without any explanation whatsoever.  The thing (I refuse to call it a "relationship") between Chin and Abby appears so out-of-character for him, even in his version of what happened that night.

I don't even want to start with Kono...  although I really like Ian Anthony Dale and how he portrays Adam.

I understand that the writers have to work with actors'/actresses' schedule and availability, but their track record shows not much improvement in the past years.  More like a steady decline.

Well, I guess I will skip the Valentines Day episode.

This was a good episode, but I'm curious about how they matched DNA from the skeleton to a Japanese national who died 70-odd years ago. Handwavium Technology, I guess.

And I may have missed something, but didn't they say the boy who was shot was out of surgery and in recovery after getting an answer back about that DNA?

• Love 1

And I may have missed something, but didn't they say the boy who was shot was out of surgery and in recovery after getting an answer back about that DNA?

I don't remember when it was, but they did say the boy was out of surgery & in recovery, yes.

• Love 1

Oh my.  I loved the Aunt Deb character, and I loved Steve's relationship with her, but I knew when they gave her inoperable brain cancer, there was no way she could be a recurring guest character throughout the series.  Too bad.  That scene where Steve found her passed away peacefully in her sleep was very nicely done by AOL.  There was realization, denial, sadness, and gratitude in all those micro-expressions crossing his face.  I choked up some too.

Did Taryn Manning have any dialogue in the show?  She was there, which was nice to see, but did we hear a peep out of her?  Did she actually interact with anyone or was she just present, reacting to the action like in "Aunt Deb's Wild Ride" and the Pretty Woman style shopping spree? 

I wonder if Julie Benz and Daniel Dae Kim reminisce about their time together on Angel?  Actually, come to think of it, did they have any scenes together on that show?  DDK is the reason I started watching this show (also the reason I started watching Lost as well), and that was all based on his character Gavin on Angel.  He was deliciously venal and evilly lawyer-ish, and had one of the best deaths ever on TV.  But I can't remember if Darla and Gavin had any scenes together.  Either way, JB and DDK have great chemistry now, and though I absolutely hated the Darla character, and feared it was the actress, her H50 character has redeemed her in my eyes.  JB is making some great actor-y choices with her character.  Kudos!

• Love 1
Taryn Manning is terrible and can barely speak. I don't know how she gets any acting jobs, although I think she's mostly DJing now. 

Thank you. I am continually baffled as to how she got a gig on Orange is the New Black, since she'd be shivved within 36 hours of even a minimal security prison. However, what I liked about her on this episode was that she didn't talk much.

If someone died in my house, much less a relative, literally in front of my eyes at the exact moment of death, I'd probably vomit so much that I'd render myself unconscious. That scene was gross, and it was massively selfish not to tell Steve that it was coming so fast.

Who just dies like that anyway?

• Love 2

That was absolutely a different kid on Steve's back at the end.

Mary is best on the show when she doesn't speak.

I like Chin and Abby, and I agree with the poster upthread who said that TPTB really don't need to throw in all the random characters to carry the show. The core 4, plus Grover and then periodic relevant Jerry, Max, Adam if we must, etc, can carry the show on their own.

Chin is absolutely a gentlemen who would walk a lady to the door!

and MOST importantly, NO GABRIEL! (The ep could have been the cast reading the phone book and I would think it's good if there's no Gabriel)

That scene where Steve found her passed away peacefully in her sleep was very nicely done by AOL.  There was realization, denial, sadness, and gratitude in all those micro-expressions crossing his face.  I choked up some too.

I thought the best expressions were from the lounge singer Nicky when Deb was telling him she didn't have much time left. When he realizes what the situation is he wears grief on his face and even though it was only for a moment I noticed it. It was an incredibly emotional moment from two characters who have only been in a few episodes. Kono and Adam have been angst-ing it up for a few seasons now and all their tearful farewells have never matched the emotional intensity of Aunt Deb announcing that there isn't going to be a next time.

• Love 3

Manning plays Doggett?????!!!!  Yes, her character is amazing and I love what they've done with her (I haven't seen the last ep of Season 2 -- I hope they don't totally ruin an interesting relationship).

It seemed like the same child but pensive and sad instead of happy.

I enjoyed the episode, although I'm with Grover, with all the name changes and identities I was a little lost on who was doing what in the bunker

There were three Japanese nationals involved in Project Fugo: Call them A, B and C.  A was captured by the police, was repatriated back to Japan and died a few years later.  B was interned during the war and fell in love.  After the war (I think) C still wanted to proceed with the project but B didn't, having fallen in love with an American.  They fought and B killed C.  3 days before the start of the show, B told his grandson about the Bomb Cave and died.

Grandson goes to move the bombs out of the cave but is interrupted by Plot Contrivance Boy.  Grandson shoots more or less at random, moves the bombs but pretty much arranges for them to be found.  He wanders around for a while, then surrenders to police at the exact moment 50 determines who he is and where he is.

I think that's roughly right.  I'm not exactly sure when B killed C -- I would think it was before his interment, but that doesn't fit with the reason given for why he stopped the plot.

• Love 2

If someone died in my house, much less a relative, literally in front of my eyes at the exact moment of death, I'd probably vomit so much that I'd render myself unconscious. That scene was gross, and it was massively selfish not to tell Steve that it was coming so fast.

Who just dies like that anyway?

It happens more than you would think. A relative died in our back bedroom a decade ago. Our neighbor died in similar circumstances just last night. Both cancer patients like Aunt Deb.

• Love 1

My mom died at home too, from cancer. I find the tv trope of dying people (particularly cancer) being hale and hearty - and having the ability to finish bucket lists like that - annoying, based on my personal experience. Lucid, perhaps, my mother was not, for weeks before she died, but I don't think that's everyone's experience.

• Love 2

Off topic, but when my aunt passed away a few years ago, she was the third person to die in that house.  The first was her mother, in home hospice care from a cancer battle, the second was my uncle, also in home hospice care from brain cancer, and then my aunt the following year passed away quite unexpectedly in her sleep.  When my sister and I were settling the estate, I asked the realtor if that was something we needed to disclose to prospective buyers.  She said the regulations vary state to state, but in our state it only had to be officially disclosed in the paperwork if the death was the result of a crime.  But she followed up and said that for people from some cultures, any death in the home is a show stopper, so she generally will mention it to prospective buyers because they'll eventually hear it from the neighbors anyways, and this prevents any issues after the sale.

And I completely agree that Aunt Deb's TV death was very different from the real world death my uncle had from his brain cancer.  But it is TV--the land of beautiful people and make believe.

• Love 1

But it's 90% of tv deaths and probably < 1% of real deaths. And it doesn't wash out the creepy factor.

I'd like to say it isn't creepy, but natural. However, I had some issues with going into the room after my mom passed, so I can't argue with that.
  • Love 1

I did find it a bit contrived that Aunt Deb hadn't been heard from all morning, was obviously on her way out, but waited until the very moment Steve walked into the room so she could look at him and then look over at the one remaining item on her bucket list.  But I suppose it is TV, so I just handwaved it.

Off topic, but when my aunt passed away a few years ago, she was the third person to die in that house.  The first was her mother, in home hospice care from a cancer battle, the second was my uncle, also in home hospice care from brain cancer, and then my aunt the following year passed away quite unexpectedly in her sleep.  When my sister and I were settling the estate, I asked the realtor if that was something we needed to disclose to prospective buyers.  She said the regulations vary state to state, but in our state it only had to be officially disclosed in the paperwork if the death was the result of a crime.  But she followed up and said that for people from some cultures, any death in the home is a show stopper, so she generally will mention it to prospective buyers because they'll eventually hear it from the neighbors anyways, and this prevents any issues after the sale.

And I completely agree that Aunt Deb's TV death was very different from the real world death my uncle had from his brain cancer.  But it is TV--the land of beautiful people and make believe.

Just curious, did the disclosure cause any problems/delays in selling the house?  I had a cousin who also died at her home in hospice.  Her husband moved away and returned to his home town.  I know he had issues selling the house, and I always wondered if it was because of any disclosure but never wanted to ask.  If it were me and that was my house, I don't think I would have disclosed it.  No crime was committed, and death is a part of life that cannot be avoided.  In all the times I have bought a house, I never once stopped to ring on the doorbells of my prospective neighbours to get the dirt on the house I was looking at.  If the buyer finds out later on after they move in and meet the neighbours, well, what are they going to do?  There is no legal obligation to disclose a death due to natural causes.

• Love 1

Just watched, and it is dusty here...  My little quibble was the idea that there were Japanese immigrants who were spies/saboteurs/fifth columnists - that was pretty thoroughly debunked decades ago, but thankfully (to me) the show decided to go the imported spy/terrorist route.

My gigantic quibble was the idea that a pistol that had been discarded next to the decomposing body of the person it had just killed, inside a mountain bunker, in a very hot and humid climate, could after 75 years be picked up and fired without blowing up in the shooter's face.

And the kid in the final scene could have been a different actor, depending on how far apart these scenes were shot (or she could have had a haircut).  I seem to recall when we first met Joan (and CBS still did the Sync on the video player telling us all sorts of BTS details), that there were many babies playing Joan, and the hats & bonnets helped disguise that.

• Love 1