Type keyword(s) to search

Code Black In the Media

(edited)

(I so want to get more Original Recipe! Code Black)

Me, too! But wouldn't a renewal mean that we'd get Code Black 2.0?

Edited by Ely
  • Love 1
On 05/05/2016 at 3:00 PM, Ely said:

Me, too! But wouldn't a renewal men that we'd get Code Black 2.0?

Original Recipe worked better in the ratings (after a first initial slump). The show was in rather safe territory, in TV Spoilers' chart for example, before the last four/three episodes and 1x17, in particular, got the show's lowest demo (1.0 in the finals and it lost  about 1 million viewers from 1x16 IIRC). If we get another season (fingers crossed) imo it will be important to use what works. A renewal for a third season almost automatically means a renewal for a fourth, the ratings have to be very worth it. It would be only logical, then, that TPTB go back to Original Recipe.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Original Recipe worked better in the ratings (after a first initial slump). The show was in rather safe territory, in TV Spoilers' chart for example, before the last four/three episodes and 1x17, in particular, got the show's lowest demo (1.0 in the finals and it lost  about 1 million viewers from 1x16 IIRC). If we get another season (fingers crossed) imo it will be important to use what works. A renewal for a third season almost automatically means a renewal for a fourth, the ratings have to be very worth it. It would be only logical, then, that TPTB go back to Original Recipe.

Last three episodes were one big mistake. Some people said that producer wanted to draw attention to younger viewer to increase ratings. But finally result was opposite. Probably lost of some of "old" fans of Code Black. People had had enough cliché drama between Christa and Neal. And new character of ex-girlfriend/almost fiance was other big mistake, it was too enough. Neither character of ex-girlfriend nor actress didn't work. I don't want to offend fans of actress of Meagan Good but her playing wasn't good too. Sometimes I thought she had only one look of face. Believe me, I a huge of fan of Code Black and regardless of difference in time zone between USA and my country I tried to watch episode almost at once, and after episode #16 I had enough Code Black. I had missed old episodes ...
I hope and believe that season #2 will be and producer will come to his senses cuz "new" doesn't mean "good" sometimes and time to come back to "Old" that worked.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, anlinn said:

I hope and believe that season #2 will be and producer will come to his senses cuz "new" doesn't mean "good" sometimes and time to come back to "Old" that worked.

I rewatched the first 14 episodes more times than I should care to admit, 15 a couple of times, but never the last three in spite of their obvious qualities. That said, I really, really, hope that the show will be renewed and TPTB will be given the opportunity to make up for what was imo a growing pains kind of mistake. Code Black has so much potential and the cast is so awesome. It's the only show I watch on CBS.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Happy Harpy said:

I rewatched the first 14 episodes more times than I should care to admit, 15 a couple of times, but never the last three in spite of their obvious qualities.  (...)

"Welcome to the family" like sings my favourite group A7X. I did this same ... and always stopped on episodes 15#. the Code Black has potential, yes that's true and why has been nominated to international contests for "The Best Drama", especially in Monte Carlo. Canceling would be kind of suicide for CBS. That's I believe that will be season #2 and I had read somewhere that producer Micheal Seitzman had signed a new two-year overall deal with ABC Studios in the end of April and this is a place where had been filmed episodes.

22 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I rewatched the first 14 episodes more times than I should care to admit, 15 a couple of times, but never the last three in spite of their obvious qualities. That said, I really, really, hope that the show will be renewed and TPTB will be given the opportunity to make up for what was imo a growing pains kind of mistake. Code Black has so much potential and the cast is so awesome. It's the only show I watch on CBS.

I watched the first 14 episode multiple time too :) I have a hard time going through the last 3 :/ 

There is still no official news but I did find this 
I wounder what tweaks they want to make .... 

http://deadline.com/2016/05/supergirl-cw-move-cbs-renewal-decision-code-black-limitless-bubble-1201752684/

• Love 1
(edited)
On 12/05/2016 at 6:19 PM, silverbell said:

I watched the first 14 episode multiple time too :) I have a hard time going through the last 3 :/ 

There is still no official news but I did find this 
I wounder what tweaks they want to make .... 

http://deadline.com/2016/05/supergirl-cw-move-cbs-renewal-decision-code-black-limitless-bubble-1201752684/

I hope it means back to basics and ditching the new characters who embody soapy storylines. A girl can dream ! (but first and foremost she dreams about a renewal).

Encouraging news tonight:

Code Black looking good for renewal

But I'm really crossing my fingers so that the "changes" don't mean losing original cast members (I will riot) or become more of a soap...

Edited by Happy Harpy
Update
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hello to all fellow Code Black fans! It's been forever since I have been on here, glad to see there are some people still around!!

On 5/11/2016 at 1:51 PM, Happy Harpy said:

I too have rewatched the first 14/15 episodes so many times that I think I could quote every scene by heart but have barely touched the last three. While I did rewatch them a couple of times at first I quit because it made me realize just how quickly the show went awry. I definitely want the show renewed because there is potential there and I really believe they can get back to where they were. I often wonder if the show writers felt rushed to develop the storylines after CBS ordered the extra 5 episodes and as a result we ended up with a jumbled, convoluted mess. If so, having the time this go around to sensibly write season 2 episodes may make a big difference. There is just so much potential here and the show was really well written for awhile. Under the right circumstances I believe they can get back there.

On 5/12/2016 at 0:23 PM, Happy Harpy said:

I hope it means back to basics and ditching the new characters who embody soapy storylines. A girl can dream ! (but first and foremost she dreams about a renewal).

Encouraging news tonight:

Code Black looking good for renewal

But I'm really crossing my fingers so that the "changes" don't mean losing original cast members (I will riot) or become more of a soap...

I really don't think they will be letting go of any of the original cast members if they get renewed. Now, the additional cast members that came into play towards the end may be another story. I have already heard the actor who plays Ed Harbert will have a recurring role on Chicago Med so I am not sure if he will be back at all or perhaps if so back on a very limited basis. I personally hope the tweaks mentioned by Deadline are the show working on what they need to fix. They need to concentrate on developing the original characters more and restablish that delicate balance between the medicine of the show and the personal lives of the doctors. And I certainly wouldn't be upset if they got rid of anything resembling a triangle in the process. I also would like to see something done with the lighting, often times it's a bit too dark and dreary. I do fear though that the tweaks are from CBS meddling, which often doesn't work out too well for a show, but time will tell I guess if it's renewed.

Speaking of renewal, waiting to hear news from CBS is going to eat away at my last nerve if they don't announce something soon. Perhaps it's because I don't normally grow attached to first season shows, but I have never seen so much conflicting information about a show's fate before. Looking at the Deadline article from Friday, it certainly sounds good, but then again Deadline has been wrong about several other shows this past week. It does concern me that in the last day or so TV Line took it from a "safe bet" to "it could go either way" despite the Deadline article.  Matter of fact they changed only the Limitless status at first to state that after that article was published and then sometime in the last 24 hours or so they changed every pending CBS show to say that. And then to make matters worse, USA Today flat out has it listed as cancelled already. No wonder people on twitter seem to be evenly split between those who are happy it's been renewed, those who are sad it's been cancelled, and those who are still crossing their fingers for good news. I will say the fact that CBS did pick up another medical series for next year makes me nervous. I am trying to be hopeful but not get my hopes up. I just really hate if its not renewed, the finale is how things will be left forever. :(

Edited by Carolinagirl1028
  • Love 1

It was downgraded, as well as CM:BB, when CBS picked out a pilot starring Katherine Heigl (WTF, will they ever learn?). So imo there were two spots and both shows were safe, now there's only one and both are 50/50, unless an already renewed and very low-rated show (and boy did they renew some of those) gets the POI treatment and is pushed to midseason. Anyway, I guess we'll know today.

ITA on everything else. I watch this show for the cast, not for the concept or the plots (certainly not the 80% of the plots in the last three episodes).

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, I was wondering when it got downgraded. That makes some sense I guess. However I somehow kind of doubt that CBS didn't have at least an idea of how many shows they were going to take to series when they gave permission to both Code Black and Criminal Minds Beyond Borders to enter talks with writers for Season 2 (if the Deadline article is correct). Especially considering everyone reported Friday when they announced the first ones that it appeared CBS wasn't done yet. The other thing I am holding on to is they ordered the same number of new series for next season as they did this current season (5 including the Katherine Heigl one that is almost surely doomed) and they also cancelled both The Good Wife and CSI Cyber this season (I almost don't count POI with how they are treating it) so by that reasoning they should have two spots. So maybe both are still safe, because honestly I fear Code Black will be gone if there is only one spot. My other fear is Limitless as I just worry at the end of it all CBS will decide to bring it back because they fully own it and that would likely push Code Black out since I don't see how there can be three spots.

I agree, I think we will know today. Whew, in a way I want the waiting to stop, but if it isn't good news I am fine with holding out hope awhile longer.

Edited by Carolinagirl1028
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Carolinagirl1028 said:

Okay, I was wondering when it got downgraded. That makes some sense I guess. However I somehow kind of doubt that CBS didn't have at least an idea of how many shows they were going to take to series when they gave permission to both Code Black and Criminal Minds Beyond Borders to enter talks with writers for Season 2 (if the Deadline article is correct). Especially considering everyone reported Friday when they announced the first ones that it appeared CBS wasn't done yet. The other thing I am holding on to is they ordered the same number of new series for next season as they did this current season (5 including the Katherine Heigl one that is almost surely doomed) and they also cancelled both The Good Wife and CSI Cyber this season (I almost don't count POI with how they are treating it) so by that reasoning they should have two spots. So maybe both are still safe, because honestly I fear Code Black will be gone if there is only one spot. My other fear is Limitless as I just worry at the end of it all CBS will decide to bring it back because they fully own it and that would likely push Code Black out since I don't see how there can be three spots.

I agree, I think we will know today. Whew, in a way I want the waiting to stop, but if it isn't good news I am fine with holding out hope awhile longer.

They also might have a spot for one of the shows on their new CBS All Access, their new streaming online channel.  and might want to move one of those shows there ( this is at least what I am hoping for).
I read some where that limitless is co owned with a company called  "Relativity Television"  which had financial difficulties this past year and that is maybe the reason CBS is not eager to renew that show . 
On paper both limitless have similar ratings and viewership so I think it could go to either show. 

• Love 1
(edited)

RENEWED, per Deadline and TVLine!

Code Black renewed

Now, they talk about changes by "adding new characters". I hope it doesn't mean "replacing some of the original cast" and that it means truly "new" characters and not some old recurring ones that I want on a bus to Offscreenville like yesterday. I'll be reassured only when I'll see the cast list. My watch has not ended, sigh.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Code Black renewed

Now, they talk about changes by "adding new characters". I hope it doesn't mean "replacing some of the original cast" and that it means truly "new" characters and not some old recurring ones that I want on a bus to Offscreenville like yesterday. I'll be reassured only when I'll see the cast list. My watch has not ended, sigh.

"It is expected to undergo some changes for Season 2, with new characters added."

I think, this sentence can be understand in different ways. One is your interpretation but also can understand they do some changes in new characters that were added in season #1. But you know, I can be mistaken, English is not my mother language ;)

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, anlinn said:

26 minutes ago, anlinn said:

I think, this sentence can be understand in different ways. One is your interpretation but also can understand they do some changes in new characters that were added in season #1. But you know, I can be mistaken, English is not my mother language ;)

It isn't mine either :) "Adding" shouldn't be "replacing", though. It depends if by "new characters" they mean "new regulars".

According to Jillian Murray's (Heather) Twitter, she'll be in S2. Tommy Dewey (Mike) tweeted that he's "thrilled for his pals at Code Black"...I want Mike to stay!

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

It isn't mine either :) "Adding" shouldn't be "replacing", though. It depends if by "new characters" they mean "new regulars".

According to Jillian Murray's (Heather) Twitter, she'll be in S2. Tommy Dewey (Mike) tweeted that he's "thrilled for his pals at Code Black"...I want Mike to stay!

You know probably Mike will stay and Heather too. They maybe become new regulars. Bur for sure one woman's character should disappear for me .. sorry but I can't stand her :D

Edited by anlinn
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, anlinn said:

You know probably Mike will stay and Heather too. They maybe become new regulars. Bur for sure one woman's character should disappear for me .. sorry but I can't stand her :D

No need to be sorry about it with me, it's my number one wish now that the renewal is in. Or second, after keeping the whole original cast.

Also, I thought that the creator, Michael Seitzman, was a class act during the wait for renewal (I didn't like him much after the season finale). Someone tweeted him about the medical pilot that was picked up by CBS: "(title of the pilot) for the win". I found it quite rude since at the time, this pilot was reportedly in contention with Code Black, and M.Seitzman was extremely gracious about it.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Happy Harpy said:

Code Black renewed

I  am so glad it's been renewed! One hurdle at a time and that was a big one! 

As far as other characters, considering all the main actors, other than William Allen Young, have been tweeting about a renewal I have a feeling they are all under contract and are likely all returning with the show. However, the recurring characters may be a different story. I also remember the producer mentioning in an interview at the end of this season that he would like to expand into other areas of the hospital, and was trying to set that up when he made Neal a trauma surgeon so that could also be where they will be making some additions.

Not that them messing with the original cast is out of the realm of possibilities but I don't think that is the most likely scenario, but that could be my hopeful side shining through.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Carolinagirl1028 said:

As far as other characters, considering all the main actors, other than William Allen Young, have been tweeting about a renewal I have a feeling they are all under contract and are likely all returning with the show. However, the recurring characters may be a different story. I also remember the producer mentioning in an interview at the end of this season that he would like to expand into other areas of the hospital, and was trying to set that up when he made Neal a trauma surgeon so that could also be where they will be making some additions.

Not that them messing with the original cast is out of the realm of possibilities but I don't think that is the most likely scenario, but that could be my hopeful side shining through.

Rollie the one I'm the most worried about, since he's the only older character left and we know what "tweaks" might mean with the rampant ageism in Hollywood. OTOH, he doesn't seem active on Twitter at all, maybe this explains that.

And let's be hopeful for the best :) After all, the best is what brought the ratings that allowed that renewal!

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

No need to be sorry about it with me, it's my number one wish now that the renewal is in. Or second, after keeping the whole original cast.

Also, I thought that the creator, Michael Seitzman, was a class act during the wait for renewal (I didn't like him much after the season finale). Someone tweeted him about the medical pilot that was picked up by CBS: "(title of the pilot) for the win". I found it quite rude since at the time, this pilot was reportedly in contention with Code Black, and M.Seitzman was extremely gracious about it.

I have mix feeling about Michael Seitzman. I think, on the beginning he didn't respect so much fans, his answers on Twitter were little rude. He had his vision about show.. his right, it's his show. But in the end of season and after season he realized that without fans show wouldn't be exist. Especially when in the end of season, after 3 last episodes rating were down because the fans didn't like his vision of show. He felt it is probably quite painful ;). Some tweets were "hot". In last days he was nice and very patient answering on question about renewing season. People change ;)

(edited)

I'm not so surprised, actually. I thought that CB had its chance, depending on the way the network looked at the picture. There were certainly many many factors involved, financial (probably the biggest one) BTS stuff etc. But if you look at the ratings CB is the only show out of the three bubble ones that managed to recover from its initial rating slump, and managed to match its pilot ratings around mid-season whereas the other two were on a constant dropping curb. IIRC Limitless lost 0.8 points from pilot to final, CM 0.5 from pilot to its most recent outing (including a 9PM where more people are supposed to be in front of their screens), CB 0.3 from pilot to final only (and I'll be forever convinced that had it not gone for soapy in the end...).

A medical ensemble might be easier to sell to syndication since it's kind of a staple.  It also might be the only current CBS show that can get nominations for awards, mostly thanks to Marcia Gay Harden, etc. Many little things might have added up to build a case for the show.

And I for one am thrilled, mostly because I love Code Black and because I would have hated that it ended the way of the season finale, but also for the cast and crew. I didn't go to Twitter before the wait for renewal, but from what I've seen then the cast seems to be a bunch of nice people who get along, are happy to work together, are thankful for the opportunity and love/are proud of their show. When you hear so many nightmarish stories about divas male or female who ruin shows and put a whole crew out of a job because of ego tantrums, it makes me even happier that our cast got the chance since they appreciate it.

Edited by Happy Harpy
14 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

A medical ensemble might be easier to sell to syndication since it's kind of a staple.  It also might be the only current CBS show that can get nominations for awards, mostly thanks to Marcia Gay Harden, etc. Many little things might have added up to build a case for the show.

A very cynical part of me half-expects her to be among the cast changes.

Code Black keeps its Wednesday at 10 spot this fall (Beyond Borders is mid-season again). It will go against Chicago PD on NBC and the new Kiefer Sutherland show Designated Survivor on ABC.

I had heard about a two-hour medical block on Sundays, which might have made more sense...

22 hours ago, starri said:

A very cynical part of me half-expects her to be among the cast changes.

Marcia Gay Harden was supposed to be a supporting character in the beginning and they retooled the show with her as the lead. Yesterday, M.Seitzman  retweeted an article from EW Community that describes her as the pillar of the show, and I don't think he would have if she was a goner. Code Black is an ensemble but she's the center and the lead.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the whole original cast staying, since the same article mentions them namely, including William Allen Young. (I think I have to mourn Kevin Dunn/Mark Taylor, but Veep is responsible here).

3 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the whole original cast staying, since the same article mentions them namely, including William Allen Young.

Well, if MGH is staying, I can at least dip my toe back in the pool.  The problem was that by making her the boss, they were reducing her footprint.  And Kevin Dunn was on Veep when he was cast, so I would blame him being an Old instead of him having another job, particularly since Veep only does 10 episodes per season.

I think Malaya is probably the most likely to be on the chopping block.  On its face, I don't really care about that because I feel no great affection for the character, but given how poor LGBT representation on CBS is, it annoys me.

I like Guthrie, but there's only so many times I can hear him call Angus "young squire" without wanted to throw things.

(edited)
1 hour ago, starri said:

Well, if MGH is staying, I can at least dip my toe back in the pool.  The problem was that by making her the boss, they were reducing her footprint.  And Kevin Dunn was on Veep when he was cast, so I would blame him being an Old instead of him having another job, particularly since Veep only does 10 episodes per season.

I think Malaya is probably the most likely to be on the chopping block.  On its face, I don't really care about that because I feel no great affection for the character, but given how poor LGBT representation on CBS is, it annoys me.

I like Guthrie, but there's only so many times I can hear him call Angus "young squire" without wanted to throw things.

I remember that, but I still think it actually offers her more possibilities than just being the cow-boy breaking the rules. If indeed, like Carolinagirl1028 said, the show will expand to other parts of the hospital, being the director of the ER gives her a reason to interact with her counterparts there without having to justify her presence every week.

I don't watch Veep so I'm out of the loop, but wasn't it rumored to end last season? This would explain that. I still hope he can pop from time to time. I love Mark Taylor.

I think that Malaya being LGBT gives her immunity (more with the recent backlash agains the 100 and a bit against TWD for killing off gay characters). Plus it seems that she's quite popular?

Guthrie is definitely in need of better storylines. I wonder if the writers had planned to keep Cress Williams and he couldn't commit after the original 13 episodes, hence his departure in 1x12. If Rollie's big storyline was to revolve around his son, it could explain why he didn't have an arc in the back five.

If they keep everyone, I won't mind a bit of new blood although the cast is already big, but I hope that TPTB won't make the same mistake as they did at the end of season 1 when they introduced new characters. I hope they do it gradually, like for Heather (she first appeared in 1x09) and write them in order to serve the show's interests, like Mike, and not the new character's interests only, like you-know-who.  Making it all about shiny new toys and often, at the expense of the original characters, almost killed the show imo. Moreover, fans who supported the renewal as well as those who watched faithfully last season are expecting to see again the show and the characters they love. Never forgetting the pay-off is imo important in order to gain the loyalty of a core audience.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Happy Harpy
Seriously how do you suppress those damn new spoiler bars and where is the "members" code I hate this new format
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I don't watch Veep so I'm out of the loop, but wasn't it rumored to end last season? This would explain that. I still hope he can pop from time to time. I love Mark Taylor.

I love Veep, but I'm hoping it ends this season.  The overall arc has been Selina bumbling her way toward being elected President, and it would be kind of regressive to not have that as an end-point.  And Dunn's character Ben is basically Taylor if Taylor were the White House Chief of Staff.

10 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I think that Malaya being LGBT gives her immunity (more with the recent backlash agains the 100 and a bit against TWD for killing off gay characters). Plus it seems that she's quite popular?

She is?  Why?  We've seen her deal with a dying girlfriend (which was rather passionless, even though Melanie Chandra and Shiri Appleby certainly tried their hardest), and even the stalker story was ultimately as much about Angus as it was about her.

I guess my bigger issue with Guthrie is that without his son, he's basically there to be the Wise Older Black Man.  And that's fine, it's just a complete stereotype, just like the Sassy Black Nurse (see: Chicago Med).  And there's also Jesse, who's a mashup of both of those types.

I guess I just hope it's more hospital-driven stories (patients, career struggles, hospital drama) instead of who's sleeping with you.  Looking at you, Heather.

(edited)
2 hours ago, starri said:

I love Veep, but I'm hoping it ends this season.  The overall arc has been Selina bumbling her way toward being elected President, and it would be kind of regressive to not have that as an end-point.  And Dunn's character Ben is basically Taylor if Taylor were the White House Chief of Staff.

She is?  Why?  We've seen her deal with a dying girlfriend (which was rather passionless, even though Melanie Chandra and Shiri Appleby certainly tried their hardest), and even the stalker story was ultimately as much about Angus as it was about her.

I guess my bigger issue with Guthrie is that without his son, he's basically there to be the Wise Older Black Man.  And that's fine, it's just a complete stereotype, just like the Sassy Black Nurse (see: Chicago Med).  And there's also Jesse, who's a mashup of both of those types.

I guess I just hope it's more hospital-driven stories (patients, career struggles, hospital drama) instead of who's sleeping with you.  Looking at you, Heather.

I might have to watch Kevin Dunn's scenes on Veep, then, to get my fix of Taylor :)

So I've been told, about Malaya but she isn't my favorite so I couldn't tell you why precisely. She's a LGBT character, which is kind of  rarity for a CBS show IIRC (I only watch CB so I wouldn't know personally) I think it plays partly in her popularity. Personally, the muddy writing about their status (quid about Malaya's GF in 1x03, and Carla's babydaddy or lack thereof) didn't help me to be involved in the relationship, even though I was involved in Carla's fate. Malaya's a bit young for me to relate to, but I think she contributes to the general chemistry of the cast.

About Heather, interestingly, she was introduced as a very competent surgical resident who bonded with Leanne while operating on Jesse, not at all as a sex kitten. She's imo the character who was damaged the most by the "Let's try to be Grey's Anatomy" failed (YMMV) strategy. I also think that she was a bit thrown under the bus in order to give a storyline to Campbell. But she always manages to entertain me so I hope that she, too, will be given better storylines.

I do agree about the focus of the show. Personally, I want personal storylines (because I love the characters and they're why I watch) if they mean human drama or mature romance or add to character development. But no to "highschool in scrubs", no to botched love triangles, NO SOAP, PERIOD.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
On May 16, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Happy Harpy said:

I tend to agree. I was not a fan of the executive producer after his comments on Twitter after the finale. However, he has truly shown some class through out the last couple months. I have seen several outright rude comments posted directly to him and in each one he remained respectful and professional in his answer. Never tearing down another person or show in order to build his up. Which is the way it should be. He has thanked the fans countless times and kept everyone not only up to date about everything going on but also tweeted positive things to keep everyones hopes up when there were so many discouraging articles out there about Code Black's fate. I respect any producer, director, actor, etc. that takes the time to respond to their fans and is thankful to them because so often that is not the case which makes no sense because without the fans, you don't have a show. 

On May 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM, anlinn said:

I have mix feeling about Michael Seitzman. I think, on the beginning he didn't respect so much fans, his answers on Twitter were little rude. He had his vision about show.. his right, it's his show. But in the end of season and after season he realized that without fans show wouldn't be exist. Especially when in the end of season, after 3 last episodes rating were down because the fans didn't like his vision of show. He felt it is probably quite painful ;). Some tweets were "hot". In last days he was nice and very patient answering on question about renewing season. People change ;)

In all honesty If we are talking about the love triangle storyline between Christa/Neal/Grace I don't personally think that was ever part of his original vision for this show. If so I think it would have been built up more instead of dropped in our laps out of no where. The whole storyline felt like it was added as an after thought. And while yes, this is his show as he is the executive producer and creator, he is not the only one who comes up with storylines. They have a whole team of writers for that. Not to mention I have no doubt CBS meddled a bit last season and put in their two cents as well. So whose idea it was to create not only that one, but some of the other crazy storylines that took place over the last few episodes we don't really know. It very well could have been him in order to try everything possible to pull in a younger audience and get the demo ratings up or it could have been those storylines were pushed by others. Either way, you are right, people change. I think the ratings and the fans voicing their displeasure shows it was not the right way to go. I am hoping that means at the very least we will be seeing these things resolved in season 2.

10 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

So I've been told, about Malaya but she isn't my favorite so I couldn't tell you why precisely. She's a LGBT character, which is kind of  rarity for a CBS show IIRC (I only watch CB so I wouldn't know personally) I think it plays partly in her popularity. Personally, the muddy writing about their status (quid about Malaya's GF in 1x03, and Carla's babydaddy or lack thereof) didn't help me to be involved in the relationship, even though I was involved in Carla's fate. Malaya's a bit young for me to relate to, but I think she contributes to the general chemistry of the cast.

About Heather, interestingly, she was introduced as a very competent surgical resident who bonded with Leanne while operating on Jesse, not at all as a sex kitten. She's imo the character who was damaged the most by the "Let's try to be Grey's Anatomy" failed (YMMV) strategy. I also think that she was a bit thrown under the bus in order to give a storyline to Campbell. But she always manages to entertain me so I hope that she, too, will be given better storylines.

I do agree about the focus of the show. Personally, I want personal storylines (because I love the characters and they're why I watch) if they mean human drama or mature romance or add to character development. But no to "highschool in scrubs", no to botched love triangles, NO SOAP, PERIOD.

Malaya does seem to be rather popular, although I too am not sure why. It could be because she is a LGBT character, which yes is a rarity for CBS. I also think some like her friendship with Angus. I have nothing against the character I just tend to think she hasn't been developed enough and as a result there isn't much to connect to. I do want to see her remain though.

I agree so much about Heather. I liked her character when she was first added but by the end they did a complete 180 on her character and it almost destroyed her, to me anyway. But I do believe that can be fixed as long as they do not try any more Greys 2.0 storylines for her or for that matter any of them! No more soapy storylines period is one of my top wishes for season 2! I do believe the actress who plays Heather will likely be returning next season. However, I am concerned that Mike won't return. He was a recurring star the last few episodes so I doubt there is a contract there and I have seen several people ask him on Twitter and he hasn't responded. Now it could be because he doesn't know and is waiting to hear if they want him back, which I hope is the case. I liked what he brought to the show. FWIW, I have seen nothing at all from Meghan Goode concerning Code Black. 

I was so anxious to see the CBS fall schedule today and I think I am somewhat happy with it. I have mixed feelings though about CBS keeping Code Black on Wednesday at 10. On one hand, that is where people are familiar with it being so at least they don't have to go hunting for it and the show possibly lose some viewers as a result. But I fear the show having to go up against not only Chicago PD again but also Designated Survivor on ABC, which seems at the moment to be an anticipated series, will hurt the ratings. To be honest this move shocked me because Beyond Borders did well airing after its mothership show. However I also didn't expect Beyond Borders to be a midsession replacement again but a fall show. At first that concerned me and made me think that Code Black didn't get a full season order but according to the producer they were picked up for a full 22 episodes. Which of course I am thrilled about, I think knowing in advance that they will have a full season will help them properly plan story arcs and the pacing of those arcs much better. 

All in all, lots of good news to be had. It certainly seems like this is a show CBS wants to have around and is putting faith in. Not just something they renewed on a whim. Let's hope it remains that way!

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Carolinagirl1028 said:

I agree so much about Heather. I liked her character when she was first added but by the end they did a complete 180 on her character and it almost destroyed her, to me anyway. But I do believe that can be fixed as long as they do not try any more Greys 2.0 storylines for her or for that matter any of them! No more soapy storylines period is one of my top wishes for season 2! I do believe the actress who plays Heather will likely be returning next season. However, I am concerned that Mike won't return. He was a recurring star the last few episodes so I doubt there is a contract there and I have seen several people ask him on Twitter and he hasn't responded. Now it could be because he doesn't know and is waiting to hear if they want him back, which I hope is the case. I liked what he brought to the show. FWIW, I have seen nothing at all from Meghan Goode concerning Code Black. 

I was so anxious to see the CBS fall schedule today and I think I am somewhat happy with it. I have mixed feelings though about CBS keeping Code Black on Wednesday at 10. On one hand, that is where people are familiar with it being so at least they don't have to go hunting for it and the show possibly lose some viewers as a result. But I fear the show having to go up against not only Chicago PD again but also Designated Survivor on ABC, which seems at the moment to be an anticipated series, will hurt the ratings. To be honest this move shocked me because Beyond Borders did well airing after its mothership show. However I also didn't expect Beyond Borders to be a midsession replacement again but a fall show. At first that concerned me and made me think that Code Black didn't get a full season order but according to the producer they were picked up for a full 22 episodes. Which of course I am thrilled about, I think knowing in advance that they will have a full season will help them properly plan story arcs and the pacing of those arcs much better. 

All in all, lots of good news to be had. It certainly seems like this is a show CBS wants to have around and is putting faith in. Not just something they renewed on a whim. Let's hope it remains that way!

I share the same concerns about Mike (and yes, I did see that M.Good didn't say anything and I'm keeping my fingers crossed so that it means what I hope it means). I'm starting to think that they might do a time jump at the beginning of the season, maybe a big one? I don't see how they could explain otherwise the sudden disappearance of the chief of the ER residency program if they don't ask Tommy Dewey back. I know they never told us what happened to Carla's baby, but it's apples and oranges. Plus, the faster the triangle is solved and forgotten, the better for me (a small flashback with only Neal and Christa would be enough) same for the sextape-type blackmail (solved one way or another, depending if Campbell stays or goes); with a time jump we could be out of Soap City fast and hopefully for good. I also suspect that if they introduce "new-new" characters, they will be younger.

Beyond Borders performs way lower than I expected (franchise + Sinise is kind of a TV royalty) and a franchise is more likely to find an audience back mid-season than an original show. But with all the buzz, I did expect Training Day on the Fall schedule.

I had heard about a Sunday medical block, but if CB was on Sundays at 9:PM, it would mean the same time slot as the most watched show on television (The Walking Dead) for a good part of the season. If it was on Sundays at 10:PM, it would mean constant delays because of sports and it would have a negative impact on the ratings and rebuilding an audience. Designated Survivor is anticipated, but it's an action/thriller, right? It could very well touch a different audience and everybody can thrive. If CB had been against This is Us, which seems to be the most anticipated pilot and is also a human drama, I would have been more worried -although media darling doesn't automatically equal ratings. Imo, if Code Black goes back to what it was from November to January (and makes it known to those who might have deserted the show because of the new direction) and delivers solid episodes with that ER feels, it can consolidate a good audience simply thanks to its quality. I have the feeling that CBS might be giving up on its obsession with getting younger demos (moving Supergirl to the CW, for example) so once again I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Code Black had no promo last season, and no media plan, I remember that in October-November I couldn't find anything about it online, not even an official facebook page IIRC. They did too little too late with the Superbowl add (and just when the show had a drop in quality, imo) so I hope for 1) a rerun of 1x01 to 1x15 over the summer 2) PROMO and a presence in the media, starting before the season premiere launch and supporting the show because it has a deficit of recognition. And yes, let's hope the network is truly invested!

Edited by Happy Harpy

Reading an article about the CBS renewals I suspect the diversity on Code Black helped with renewal. CBS is being hammered in a few places for a complete lack of female and minority leads. I know its definitely something I love about the show.

• Love 2

Doctors with Borders is one of my favorite episodes and the one that definitely hooked me up (I don't get why it was so low-rated). I hope that it will allow more people to sample the show or give it another chance!

• Love 2

New gig for actors of cancelled shows (wishful thinking) from TVLine

I know that Code Black is often a blip on the radar, but TV Line did do an article about her joining the show so...maybe it means that Saint Ex is gone? Can I hope to enjoy my show without soap this fall? *fingers crossed*

Wow .... that would be a news :D on *fingers crossed* and knock on wood and others ;).  I won't be crying if she leaves, that's for sure. But it sounds so good ...

• Love 1

New gig for actors of cancelled shows (wishful thinking) from TVLine

I know that Code Black is often a blip on the radar, but TV Line did do an article about her joining the show so...maybe it means that Saint Ex is gone? Can I hope to enjoy my show without soap this fall? *fingers crossed*

I really liked Doctors with Borders too, Its one of the episodes I like to rewatch, after this episode the ratings actually when up so maybe people saw this episode in a delay and decided to watch the next episode because of it. 

I'm glad Saint Ex got another gig on a different network, so it lowers her chances of coming back.
On the other hand I hope Tommy Dewey  does come back. 

• Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, silverbell said:

I'm glad Saint Ex got another gig on a different network, so it lowers her chances of coming back.
On the other hand I hope Tommy Dewey  does come back. 

She didn't get a new gig, it's wishful thinking from the editorial team. But they mention her as someone from a cancelled show (Minority Report) whom they want to have a new gig, which implies that she doesn't have a gig right now, which makes me hopeful that it means she won't be in S2. (ETA: I don't wish her to be unemployed, but I want her employed elsewhere!)

And yes I would love if Mike was back.

And they did it again. I thought that the reruns of Code Black started next week, they started on Thursday the 26th. Newflash: promo has to be done in advance. Seriously. It did 0,7 and 4,11 millions; reruns of Modern Family anf blackish did  0,8 and 0,6 in the same timeslot, respectively and CB was leading by a landslide in total viewers which doesn't count, I know.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's too bad, I love the two of them :( I wanted them as recurring, Mike as regular, and the nurses characters getting more development (Amy first and foremost, and also Risa and Isabel).

If those two don't get back and if T.Dewey is too busy because of Casualty or other gigs (hoping I'm wrong) I can see how there might be screentime for recurring characters. Aside from Mike, I don't think that the show has space for a new regular unless the original cast gets less airtime and storylines which is not what I want.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

That's too bad, I love the two of them :( I wanted them as recurring, Mike as regular, and the nurses characters getting more development (Amy first and foremost, and also Risa and Isabel).

Kevin Dunn was busy in the season #1 so it' not such a big surprise we won't see him but Jeff Hephner. He will play in Chicago Med in season #2, I've seen tweets about it. I love them too, they added a lot of good to the show.

If those two don't get back and if T.Dewey is too busy because of Casualty or other gigs (hoping I'm wrong) I can see how there might be screentime for recurring characters. Aside from Mike, I don't think that the show has space for a new regular unless the original cast gets less airtime and storylines which is not what I want.

Maybe original cast will get more airtime as was on the beginning of season #1. It worked very well, till to last 3 episodes, when too many new recurring characters were appeared. But till now I haven't seen any bad news on Twitter about T.Dewey so will see. But all depends on Micheal Seitzman and his concept for new season. But for sure, come back to the beginning will be what most of us want.

• Love 1
On May 28, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Happy Harpy said:

She didn't get a new gig, it's wishful thinking from the editorial team. But they mention her as someone from a cancelled show (Minority Report) whom they want to have a new gig, which implies that she doesn't have a gig right now, which makes me hopeful that it means she won't be in S2. (ETA: I don't wish her to be unemployed, but I want her employed elsewhere!)

And yes I would love if Mike was back.

And they did it again. I thought that the reruns of Code Black started next week, they started on Thursday the 26th. Newflash: promo has to be done in advance. Seriously. It did 0,7 and 4,11 millions; reruns of Modern Family anf blackish did  0,8 and 0,6 in the same timeslot, respectively and CB was leading by a landslide in total viewers which doesn't count, I know.

I have strong doubts she will be back, at least not as more than a guest star on maybe the first or second episode anyway. Now, I agree I don't want the actress unemployed, I have nothing at all against her, just don't really want her character to be a part of Season 2 so her being employed elsewhere would be great. 

Yes, I was rather happy with the ratings the rerun got and even more so because once again there was no advertising the reruns. CBS needs to work on advertising all of their shows.

On May 29, 2016 at 5:30 AM, anlinn said:

According Micheal Seitzman's tweets we rather won't see or we will see very rarely: Kevin Dunn (Dr Mark Taylor) and Jeff Hephner (Ed Harbert)

tweets_ms.png

You know as much as I will miss them I can handle these losses. I do hope we get to see some appearances by them though and I would like them to wrap up Kevin Dunn's storyline as it seems it's still hanging out there with no real closure.

------

In other news, I did just notice though that Bonnie Somerville's Twitter profile no longer has anything about her being on Code Black in it. Which I know doesn't necessarily mean anything however I will admit I am having a slight little freak out. Because my main wish for season 2 is we at least have all the main cast back, so I'd be upset if we lost any, but if on top of that I lost one of my favorite characters and half of the couple I ship, I don't even want to think about it!

• Love 2
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Carolinagirl1028 said:

In other news, I did just notice though that Bonnie Somerville's Twitter profile no longer has anything about her being on Code Black in it. Which I know doesn't necessarily mean anything however I will admit I am having a slight little freak out. Because my main wish for season 2 is we at least have all the main cast back, so I'd be upset if we lost any, but if on top of that I lost one of my favorite characters and half of the couple I ship, I don't even want to think about it!

OMG, I saw that and I'm freaking out a bit, too. I still have the Deadline "adding new characters" in mind and I'm so wary of Hollywood ageism when it comes to women...moreover CBS doesn't have a good track record (Criminal Minds comes to mind).
I love the show and I thought that I had several deal breakers but I just realized that it comes down to one. If Christa is gone, so am I. 

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

OMG, I saw that and I'm freaking out a bit, too. I still have the Deadline "adding new characters" in mind and I'm so wary of Hollywood ageism when it comes to women...moreover CBS doesn't have a good track record (Criminal Minds comes to mind).
I love the show and I thought that I had several deal breakers but I just realized that it comes down to one. If Christa is gone, so am I. 

When did you notice it? Apparently from what I was able to tell it isn't a brand new change, it's at least been that way a few days. She isn't the only one who doesn't mention anything about the show, Marcia Gay Harden and Luis Guzman also don't yet judging by the fact that they were at the CBS Summer Soiree thing I would think they are coming back, so it really may not mean anything. It could be as simple as she wants her profile to be about other parts of her life as well. I also noticed where just a couple days ago she liked some posts about Code Black so I am trying to remain positive. Also while I am aware that Code Black news isn't exactly a major news story there isn't anything anywhere else to indicate she isn't returning. In the back of my mind I can not imagine that they wouldn't bring her back. I know they want to expand and get new viewers and therefore better ratings but pissing off a portion of your current viewers isn't the way to go when the show is in such a precarious situation. Then again I thought that about the whole love story triangle as well. 

I am with you, there is a lot I want to see and likewise not see on Code Black but Christa leaving would be a true deal breaker for me. I can't see me watching the next season if she isn't in it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Carolinagirl1028 said:

Did her profile ever state that she worked on code black ? 
It would be very weird that take her out of the show since last week they were promoting Neal-Christa  again in code black twitter account and Bonnie Somerville retwitted it.

Edited by silverbell
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Carolinagirl1028 said:

When did you notice it? Apparently from what I was able to tell it isn't a brand new change, it's at least been that way a few days. She isn't the only one who doesn't mention anything about the show, Marcia Gay Harden and Luis Guzman also don't yet judging by the fact that they were at the CBS Summer Soiree thing I would think they are coming back, so it really may not mean anything.

This week? I'm checking Twitter about once a week to see if there are news about S2.

2 hours ago, silverbell said:

Did her profile ever state that she worked on code black ? 
It would be very weird that take her out of the show since last week they were promoting Neal-Christa  again in code black twitter account and Bonnie Somerville retwitted it.

Yes, her profile used to say "Dr Christa Lorenson on Code Black". I was still there last week so it's a change.

It would be weird and I hope it's paranoia at this point :)

(edited)

Code Black Season 2 Cuts Two Series Regulars, Promotes Boris Kodjoe

The doctors are out.

Season 2 of CBS’ Code Black is excising both Bonnie Somerville and Raza Jaffrey from its cast, where they played Christa Lorenson and Neal Hudson.

Meanwhile, THR also reports, Boris Kodjoe — who joined the freshman medical drama midseason — has been promoted to a series regular, as Will Campbell.

Edited by Artsda