Type keyword(s) to search

Carson, Downton Abbey's Downstairs Dad, Wins In The End

He DOES look like Sam the Eagle!

Carson was one of my favorite downstairs characters (behind Mrs. Hughes, who he had the good sense to fall in love with, and just a touch ahead of Thomas). He may be a fuddy duddy, but he's a fuddy duddy who's devoted to the family he serves, the staff that he oversees, and the cause of doing your very best in all situations. He has standards. He has a heart. What else do we need? (Ok, he could be just a little brighter).

Thanks for the lovely tribute to the character - and the actor who brings him to such full and deep life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I agree; Carson is a fantastic character. I love it when you can see the marshmallow underneath the gruff exterior. Like the time he was carrying around baby Sybbie and talking to her -- "Let's have a little chat about it," or something to that effect.

It was all kinds of adorable, and one of my favorite Downton moments of all time.

• Love 2

He has standards. He has a heart.

Unfortunately his standars usually wins his heart (if he indeed has one). It was characteristic of him that he refused any help or even feel empathy from Ethel when she had a love child. Lastly he was against the Crawleys helping Mrs Patmore in her trouble with "ill-rumored house".

There are numerous people whom he had bullied, most of all Molesley.

Carson values people according to their rank. To him Lady Mary can do no wrong although she is basically selfish and hard. Instead, Carson treated Branson harsly because he married above him, although Tom is essentially good.

Carson has a heart only to Lady Mary and Mrs Hughes. But when he had to chose pleasing Lady Mary or Mrs Hughes, he of course chose the former, even to distress of his bride.

• Love 2

Carson initially struck me as very hard, but the indelible moment that brought me around to him was at Daisy's sad wedding. There was a pan shot across the staff and family gathered around and there was Carson, his eyes filled with tears.

On. The. Floor.

• Love 1

I can't remember all of Carsons opinions except as a character he was forced into the unenviable position of reflecting the old way of life. <br />I think the actor did a great job with this role.