Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Episode 2

Annie calls 911 to get help for Taylor, but it's not easy getting the authorities to pay attention to the alleged crime.  Meanwhile, Leslie makes sure the Leyland School is ready for the impending investigation.  Terri has an intervention with Kevin and Eric's truth comes out.

Boy, these showrunners are REALLY good at making unsympathetic characters. Once again, i find myself watching for the acting, and not much else.

And what 17 year old gives his girlfriend a $900 bracelet?! How does he even have that much money? Why did his parents get him a credit card? WTH?!

• Love 3

Still liking this season more that last year. I'm interested to know why Huffman's character is so tightly wound. Only two boys committed the assault? I thought the victim was with a group of guys. Hutton's daughter. Yikes. If teenage invincibility could be manufactured and sold to adults, the world would collapse in total chaos.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 2

Boy, these showrunners are REALLY good at making unsympathetic characters. Once again, i find myself watching for the acting, and not much else.

And what 17 year old gives his girlfriend a $900 bracelet?! How does he even have that much money? Why did his parents get him a credit card? WTH?!

I graduated from a fairly expensive prep school exactly 20 years ago and I'd say that at least half of my class had credit cards. And the tuition today is well over $20,000 a year. My brothers went to boarding school and every kid had a spending account that the school would manage and most of the kids had credit cards.

• Love 1

Second episode featured more extreme closeups, and boring, meandering scenes. I gave it a try, but this show seems like a waste of time.  My sympathy goes to the fine actors who signed on to this mess. 

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 1

Numbnut, i think the party was thrown by the team co-captains, so that's who they decided to throw under the bus. Except that they didn't want to piss off the one kid's parents, so they only threw Eric (?)under the bus. One game suspension? Ok, so they made him walk somewhere within a block of the bus.

Boy, these show runners are REALLY good at making unsympathetic characters. Once again, i find myself watching for the acting, and not much else.

I'm fine with watching unsympathetic characters as long as they are complex and interesting and played by fine

actors like the ones on this show. 

The other team captain is Regina King's son and I wouldn't want to piss her off either.

• Love 9

Was the team captain that got suspended making out with the older guy? I don't have a handle on all the characters yet. I felt kinda disconnected in this ep except for the rape kit scene. I thought that was really intriguing, how the nurse lady with the creepy same voice was always off screen, talking and talking. Maybe I'll try watching it again later.

Also, I like the mom's smackdown. Even if they are really rich, 900 dollars is way too much to spend on a high school girlfriend when it's not your direct income. But I would have given him the choice to pay for it himself out of his cash stash instead of insisting he get it back. 

Edited by shouldbedancing
  • Love 4

I'm not sure what they expect from the rape kit so many days later, barring indisputable physical damage. Is there any likelihood at all of detecting traces of drugs? Nor do I understand why the assault is only significant when intercourse (possibly insertion?) is achieved. The scene is remarkably intense though.

The show withheld any information as to the clothes. We don't know for certain if they've been washed.

I'm not sure Eric's embryonic hustling is relevant.

The adults allegedly discussing the incident are so vague I don't know what the characters think they're agreeing to. I suppose this is intentional on the headmaster's part, but why do alleged adults put up with it?

The coach is starting to seem unbelievable to me. The time for that talk was in seventh grade, if not earlier.

• Love 4
The adults allegedly discussing the incident are so vague I don't know what the characters think they're agreeing to. I suppose this is intentional on the headmaster's part, but why do alleged adults put up with it?

I think they accept it so they can maintain plausible deniability.  "I don't know what really happened, so how could I punish/suspend/expell anyone?"  "I was told the coach investigated the team and found nothing."

• Love 6

I'm not sure Eric's embryonic hustling is relevant.

Maybe I was reading the scene wrong, but I didn't get the impression that Eric was hustling.  I don't know a lot about sex work first hand, but "I just want to kiss" doesn't seem like something a hustler would demand.  To me, it looked like he was experimenting with an inappropriately older partner.

• Love 12

Numbnut, i think the party was thrown by the team co-captains, so that's who they decided to throw under the bus. Except that they didn't want to piss off the one kid's parents, so they only threw Eric (?)under the bus. One game suspension? Ok, so they made him walk somewhere within a block of the bus.

I understood the punishment agenda. I was referring to when they showed the assailants' perspective. It seemed like the two co-captains were discussing the assault and punishment as if no other players were involved. Also, did anyone see whose picture the victim was looking at on his phone before he discovered the crime photos? It looked like a vanity selfie of some boy so I'm wondering if it was someone we haven't met yet. (I guess that's more of an episode 1 question.)

Edited by numbnut

Maybe I was reading the scene wrong, but I didn't get the impression that Eric was hustling.  I don't know a lot about sex work first hand, but "I just want to kiss" doesn't seem like something a hustler would demand.  To me, it looked like he was experimenting with an inappropriately older partner.

In the first episode, it looked like Taylor had some selfies of Eric on his phone. My guess is that Taylor and Eric were hooking up in secret and things just way wrong at the captains party.

• Love 2

I think they accept it so they can maintain plausible deniability.  "I don't know what really happened, so how could I punish/suspend/expell anyone?"  "I was told the coach investigated the team and found nothing."

The dude brought a hot car for Eric to drive for a reason, I believe. It's hard to tell what Eric thinks. (The show is very realistic in that most of the teens don't seem to think very much, but feel.) But it's very likely the guy did that for approximately the same kind of reasons Kevin gave his girl friend a nine hundred dollar bracelet. 

On another topic, the willingness of so many adults to accept meaningless blather without question is very depressing..but of course everybody hates negative people, so I guess it's realistic.

Edited by sjohnson

In the first episode, it looked like Taylor had some selfies of Eric on his phone. My guess is that Taylor and Eric were hooking up in secret and things just way wrong at the captains party.

I remember seeing Taylor watching Eric during basketball practice, smiling (like he had a secret), then looking at his cellphone to look at the selfies with Eric. Then Taylor's drunken pictures came up in his text. So I think you're right, they seem to be hooking up in secret. My guess is Taylor was not raped, he was just drunk and the other kids were being mean to him by taking photos and texting to everyone. But Eric will be in trouble because they hooked up and his DNA will implicate him. 

Edited by Anna525
  • Love 3

I remember seeing Taylor watching Eric during basketball practice, smiling (like he had a secret), then looking at his cellphone to look at the selfies with Eric. Then Taylor's drunken pictures came up in his text. So I think you're right, they seem to be hooking up in secret. My guess is Taylor was not raped, he was just drunk and the other kids were being mean to him by taking photos and texting to everyone. But Eric will be in trouble because they hooked up and his DNA will implicate him. 

I sure hope this isn't where they're headed.  Taylor said - they did something to me.  He seems traumatized.  I don't want to watch a story of male rape de-escalate to a teenaged boy confused about his sexuality, and falsely accusing his partner.  Does not interest me - at all.

I didn't watch last season, but my Lili Taylor love drew me in.  I may be the only person in the world who doesn't love Regina King, but I got enough of her on The Leftovers, and she's already irritating me. 

Felicity Huffman is really an excellent actor.  She's striking the chord of concerned educator, strong female leader, and cunning manipulator.  She even has little moments where she seems sinister. One moment I think she cares about justice, and the next I'm sure she's all about a cover up.  I'm not sure how I feel about how vague everything is.  I think that's probably the point, and it's certainly thought provoking.  But when it's all over, I want to know what really happened.  I'm going to be very disgruntled if I'm not given an absolute answer.

• Love 10

The older dude is obviously "grooming" Eric, or trying to. But Eric is either playing him or he just isn't ready for physical sex. If the latter, that may include any relationship with Taylor. Whatever did happen, I get the impression Taylor was "handling it" until the pictures surfaced. His mother is right to be concerned and upset at the attempts by the other adults, including the police, to blow it off. I'm surprised at the number of users here who are in denial that he might have been sexually assaulted and are nitpicking the legal definition of rape. What if it was your daughter?

• Love 4

OK, so it was Eric's photo. Thanks for clarifying.

My guess is Taylor was not raped, he was just drunk and the other kids were being mean to him by taking photos and texting to everyone. But Eric will be in trouble because they hooked up and his DNA will implicate him. 

I sure hope this isn't where they're headed.  Taylor said - they did something to me.  He seems traumatized.  I don't want to watch a story of male rape de-escalate to a teenaged boy confused about his sexuality, and falsely accusing his partner.  Does not interest me - at all.

There's too little to go on after just two eps, but I def. think Taylor was sexually assaulted. Maybe Taylor and Eric were nearly caught flirting at school, and Eric freaked out and joined his teammates' attack on Taylor at the party?

I'm curious about the chicken hawk dude with the car and how his influence on Eric fits into into the assault scenario.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 2

I'm fine with watching unsympathetic characters as long as they are complex and interesting and played by fine

actors like the ones on this show. 

The other team captain is Regina King's son and I wouldn't want to piss her off either.

The problem with singling out Eric over Kevin is that it was done based on the school administrator's racist reasons. She didn't want to deal with the LaCroix's because why, they are black and/or the mother is an angry black woman. Her doing this will result in more racism rearing its ugly head against Kevin, thus creating the very scenario she was seeking to avoid. Punish both captains equally, that's the best route towards avoiding racism on both sides.

• Love 4

The problem with singling out Eric over Kevin is that it was done based on the school administrator's racist reasons. She didn't want to deal with the LaCroix's because why, they are black and/or the mother is an angry black woman. Her doing this will result in more racism rearing its ugly head against Kevin, thus creating the very scenario she was seeking to avoid. Punish both captains equally, that's the best route towards avoiding racism on both sides.

I thought it had less to do with race and more to do with money. Or maybe a combo of both. The LaCroix's clearly have money and are clearly connected to power (the police officer asked Kevin to say hello to his mom). I think the combination of money, power, and race would keep the school from punishing Kevin too quickly.

• Love 9

I dislike how everything is so vague. Its so manipulative. Lack of details about what happened, closeted gay teenagers, hysterical mother, son only react after pictures emerge, even  a talk between suspects make rape very unlikely judged on what we are allowed to see. I fear that is intentional to make viewers feel guilty at the end of the season for not-believing the victim. It is not a smart storytelling, it is manipulative and predictable. That is the main reason i hope it was not rape and the story is more about damage of false accusations born out of fear of homophobic reactions and  difficulties to accept own sexual orientation.

Edited by GaiusB
  • Love 1

Close-up, extreme close-up, extreme close-up, anal probe, extreme close-up. School's dean brushes her teeth for 10 minutes. Extreme close-up. Out of focus extreme close-up. Meaningful silence. Extreme close-up, out of focus extreme close-up. The captain of school's basketball team hooks up on grindr with an older guy. Extreme close-up of faces with bad skin and horrible facial hair. Extreme close-up, fade.

But this show is magnificent anyway. 

• Love 5

...even  a talk between suspects make rape very unlikely judged on what we are allowed to see...

I must agree that the withholding may be meant to mislead viewers with the aim of provoking by the final revelation. But I can't agree that the comments exchanged between Eric and Kevin indicated their innocence of any wrongdoing. Quite aside from the possibility their recollections are contaminated by alcohol and wishful thinking, blaming the victim is common among people who resent the insult to their self-image. In particular, if one or both pressured Taylor to drink, their unease could impel them to cast this as his consent not just to the alcohol but to all the consequences. And if one had doped the drink (which so far appears to be the case) the one who did would expect Taylor to be unaware of this...but he was accusing them without proof, that is, unfairly, that is, being a "bitch." If someone's feeling guilty, even bad rationalizations seem so much more convincing than to others. 

• Love 1
But I can't agree that the comments exchanged between Eric and Kevin indicated their innocence of any wrongdoing.

Right.  We don't know them well enough yet.  I think there was a crime perpetrated against Taylor, he was definitely sexually assaulted.  Everything after that is very murky.  We have yet to see a scene between Eric and Taylor alone.  At this moment, I think Eric is the lone transgressor, fueled by alcohol, anger and his own internalized homophobia.  That crime is going to stir up themes of class, race and homophobia in both high schools.

• Love 2

I think she wanted to place the "blame" on the white captain is because I don't think he comes from money like the black captain. (sorry terrible with names) And she's wanting some mega donations.

Im new to this show, but is Regina the mother of the black captain? If so, I got the sense that she is connected to police ( the vehicle incident with the "aggressive " driver) and the school was trying not to tick her off iykwim

Im new to this show, but is Regina the mother of the black captain? If so, I got the sense that she is connected to police ( the vehicle incident with the "aggressive " driver) and the school was trying not to tick her off iykwim

Yea i think she has a lot of connections, maybe due to her job (not sure if we know what she does, but she has a fancy office) and I think due to how much money they have. 

• Love 1

Good night episode, but I don't understand the current connection between the school lunch plot and everything else going on, I couldn't figure out what Regina was doing in the bracelet scene, and I wish they had cast a better actor as Regina's son.

're: the school lunch plot, I loved the woman who said something like 'I have two masters degrees and I'm having to act like a lunch lady'. More of her and that please!

Is Eric the guy kissing the hairy dude in the car? So he is gay? But Taylor is not gay or am I confused? I thought he has a gf. I should pay more attention.

Given how awkward Taylor was with the girlfriend and the fact that he appeared to be making eyes at Eric during basketball practice before all the pictures started flying around, I think that there's evidence that he's not entirely straight.

Eric seems to definitely be gay, based on what we've seen.

• Love 2

Having a girlfriend means nothing. So did my best friend and I, and we were both gay. Eric may want a gay sugar daddy, but not necessarily for sex. Eric may really be just a player. These are characters that most people aren't familiar with, rare peeks at what really goes on behind closed doors. Like the nature of the show itself, not everything is what it seems to be. Real people can be as clueless as the Coach seems, as gay as Taylor may be, or as straight as Eric might be. And have to juggle as many conflicting goals as the head mistress.

Edited by Bobbin
  • Love 6

Is Eric the guy kissing the hairy dude in the car? So he is gay? But Taylor is not gay or am I confused? I thought he has a gf. I should pay more attention.

Yup, Eric (the white co-captain) was definitely kissing Hot Rod Owner (with optional factory stubble) at the end of the test ride.  Found it sexy mysterious since we didn't know what the extent of this tangent was:  are they friends with benefits?  Is this a regular hookup?

Taylor may be struggling with his sexual identity and his girlfriend (no space) could be end being his girl friend (with space) as the story arc develops.

I gave up on Season 1 after a few episodes since it was such an unlikeable story with unlikeable characters.  But, I saw the tagline that this was a "new season, new story" so I gave it a whirl last night by watching the two aired episodes.  MUCH better storylines with a balancing of characters:  good and bad.

I find Regina King's character (Mrs. Lacroix) an interesting one:  she has the potential to chew up the scenery but also to be a driving force for the story.  Her interaction with the other driver then calling her police friend to "run the plate" was a disturbing bit of manipulation.

• Love 2

Not sure about Taylor yet, but Eric is gay. He is closeted at school but looks to hook up apparently with older guys. So not to run into anyone from school? Here is an inter view with Joey Pollari, the actor who plays him. And Connor Jessup (Taylor). http://www.newnownext.com/american-crime-star-joey-pollari-on-playing-a-closeted-teen-there-is-a-part-of-him-that-wants-love/01/2016/

Joey talks about Eric's reasons for what he does. And Connor says that the show brought in a real trauma nurse for the scene. They told her to give him the real exam. She questioned him for over 15 minutes and they only used a little part in the show.

I assumed the rape kit was done at the mother's insistence and the result will probably point to Taylor having more of a sex life than the mother was previously privy to. I also assumed that the Eric was definitely on the receiving end of Taylor's attention in the first episode, but there's been no clarification that the interest is two-sided. Maybe Taylor went to the party hoping Eric would be there, and things got out of hand because his attentions would potentially "out" Eric, who seems to indeed compartmentalize his sexuality.

I also thought that allowing her son to pay off the $900, rather than forcing him to get back the bracelet would have been less harsh, but then I realized that Regina King's character really hated the relationship and this was a way to end/test it, which apparently she was correct about, given the girl's reaction. I wonder if she always had money or was projecting when she warned her kid about golddiggers?

I have seen far more of Lili Taylor's face than I had ever wished.

And Connor says that the show brought in a real trauma nurse for the scene. They told her to give him the real exam. She questioned him for over 15 minutes and they only used a little part in the show.

That's so interesting, because I was about to say how realistic she sounded. It was one of the most compelling parts of the hour, for me.

I don't mind the extreme closeups, because the show is almost theatrical in that sense, so I enjoy watching the actors act. I mind more the show's slight obsession with the minutiae of everyday life (the tooth-brushing scene, but even Coach Dan and daughter Becca's excursion into buying high-end makeup or shampoo or whatever took too long). We get it, show -- it's a small town and these are ordinary people.

Also curious to see how the principal (??) of Taylor's girlfriend's school and the superintendent are going to fit in. Presumably, the superintendent wouldn't have jurisdiction over Leyland, as it's a private school?

• Love 2

This show is really good, it's quality. I really didn't get into the first season because I tend to not give ABC programming much attention, because for the most part, I just haven't liked the quality of their programming. It usually doesn't appeal to me. But with Regina King, Felicity Huffman, Timothy Hutton and the creator, John Ridley...I decided to take a second look. Not to mention, the subject the matter in the ads. for the show caught my attention and I'm glad I tuned in.

The actress who plays the mother of the boy who was raped, good to see her, she's a good actress. I haven't seen her or noticed her in anything since I watched HBO's Six Feet Under.  

I also like how this show uses the same actors, but different story, different roles, it's cool. I don't think I've seen that before. It's different and it works because these actors are top notch.

Oh and it's good to see Andre, I think that's his name from the music group Outkast, I know that's him, cool. He's pretty good with his small role as Regina King's character's husband.

Edited by represent

Joey talks about Eric's reasons for what he does. And Connor says that the show brought in a real trauma nurse for the scene. They told her to give him the real exam. She questioned him for over 15 minutes and they only used a little part in the show.

I had a feeling that was the case, especially the way she told Taylor before she touched him, and even detailed where and how she would do it.  Some thought she sounded creepy, but I thought she sounded just right.

The actress who plays the mother of the boy who was raped, good to see her, she's a good actress. I haven't seen her or noticed her in anything since I watched HBO's Six Feet Under.  

I've loved Lili Taylor since Mystic Pizza.  She recently played the mother in The Conjuring.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 1

Taylor's girlfriend has made numerous references to how distance he has been towards her and how she doesn't feel like his girlfriend so I think it's very plausible that she's just a cover up for him.  Especially if him and Eric had a thing it would make a lot of sense since it seems like she's been saying that since he started at the new school she hasn't been as close to him.

I'm not sure how I feel about how vague everything is.  I think that's probably the point, and it's certainly thought provoking.  But when it's all over, I want to know what really happened.  I'm going to be very disgruntled if I'm not given an absolute answer.

That's where I am too. I gave up on the first season after 2 or 3 episodes, but I'm giving this one a try, and so far I'm kind of not getting what happened, exactly, to Taylor. And I'm not sure if it's because they're trying to keep it as a sort of mystery of if it's because this is airing on network TV and they can't get too graphic. There are also a lot of moving parts to follow and some of them interest me a lot less than others - for example, the girlfriend and her sick mom and the kids at her school - this all seems like unnecessary filler to me. Maybe it will all tie together in the end, but right now it's a lot to follow, and I find myself starting to lose interest whenever the story shifts to the LaCroix family. 

Last season, we never saw what really happened during the crime, so you might end up disappointed. By the time they got to the finale, though, it didn't really matter because so much had happened, and the show was really about the aftermath, not the crime itself. From my perspective, there would have been no payoff to knowing what really happened; too many bad things had preceded and followed the crime.

It's different this season, as no one has ended up dead (not yet anyway), so the topic is heavy, but not so devastating to all the characters. Other than Taylor and Eric, it seems that the most anyone has to lose is prestige and money.

• Love 1

Last season, we never saw what really happened during the crime, so you might end up disappointed. By the time they got to the finale, though, it didn't really matter because so much had happened, and the show was really about the aftermath, not the crime itself. From my perspective, there would have been no payoff to knowing what really happened; too many bad things had preceded and followed the crime.

I thought they did reveal who did it, at the end, when the junkie whispered into his sister's ear and she made that revealing face.  But maybe not everyone got the same message I did.

In any case, I think the ambiguity of the information we know so far is intentional, probably to make us question the stance of the players in the events to come.  Was the boy attracted to the basketball player? is he gay or bisexual? does it matter? was he really raped (consent will be the key here)?  I think it's intended because that's exactly how it goes in real life.  Unless we witness a crime, we never know exactly what happened.  Only those who were involved or witnessed it know the truth.

I also think that we are seeing the other school because:

a) it provides a contrast to show how things are between the two schools (one privileged, one not so much)

b) it will play a part in the events to come (I remember at the beginning of last season I was frustrated by the focus on the drug addicts and they turned out to play a major role later - although I still think the early focus was not executed very well, what with all the cheesy "greatest love of all" crap they gave us)

I liked last season, despite its dark, depressing feel, but I'm liking this season even more.

• Love 1
It's different this season, as no one has ended up dead (not yet anyway), so the topic is heavy, but not so devastating to all the characters. Other than Taylor and Eric, it seems that the most anyone has to lose is prestige and money.

I think Kevin has a lot to lose. I'm interested in seeing just how much his parents' money and connections will be able to get him out of any trouble/culpability he has with regard to this crime. I want to see if his parents will be able to get his "record/name" wiped clean much like the parents of privileged white boys are able to do for them.  Something tells me that ain't happening, because from my perspective, that's real.

That's my focus, it immediately has gone there when it comes to this boy and his parents

Edited by represent

Good night episode, but I don't understand the current connection between the school lunch plot and everything else going on, I couldn't figure out what Regina was doing in the bracelet scene, and I wish they had cast a better actor as Regina's son.

're: the school lunch plot, I loved the woman who said something like 'I have two masters degrees and I'm having to act like a lunch lady'. More of her and that please!

I couldn't quite figure out that scene, either, other than to show the disparity between the public school system and the fancy private school. There was some implication that the lady was about to make some deal with the private school, and was telling the school principal he had to get on board.

On a separate note, it wasn't until the end of that scene that I realized the principal of the public school is played by the same actor who was the drug addict and accused murderer from Season 1! Wow, he looked so different.

• Love 1