Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Nikki's Story

• Start Topic

I'm not saying having the surgery is wrong or bad or being lazy, not at all. To each their own, I'm just trying to understand why. My father's side of the family are all obese, some dangerously obese. 2 cousins and 2 aunts had enough and started doing what Nikki did. Started out slowly with exercise and totally changed their eating habits and went to individual and group therapy. It took a few years but one cousin lost 280 pounds, the other lost almost that much, one aunt weighed almost 550 pounds and she lost about 400 pounds.

It can be done is all I'm saying. All but one of them has kept the weight off. They had the option of surgery but the dangers of this surgery wasn't worth it to them. They did it the old fashioned way.

A former neighbor had the surgery and she had a lot of complications.

I don't think somebody who opted for surgery is lazy or unmotivated. I'm just saying given the choice, I'd rather do it the natural way. I was never 600 pounds but gained a lot of weight when I quit drinking, I changed an alcohol addiction to a sugar addiction. I lost it by walking. I walked EVERYWHERE and if I had to drive I parked as far away as I could and walked the rest of the way. But that's just me. I'm not condemning anybody for having surgery. I'm just trying to understand why. I truly hope I didn't offend anybody. I'm just offering my opinion and trying to understand.

The weight didn't come on overnight so it seems unhealthy to lose it so fast.

I think something that you may not be considering is the mental illness aspect of this. People don't get to be 600 lbs because they're happy and know how to deal with problems or past traumas. I think it's a lot like anxiety or depression, those suffering from it definitely need different forms of therapy, but some will also need medication. People shouldn't be penalized for doing what works for them. From what I can see the surgery isn't exactly a walk in the park either.

• Love 5

I don't think weight loss had or can have a one size fits all option. But I think many of us are saying, it would be nice to see the good folks in Dr Now's office offer more support for the rare patients that do well on their own before the surgery. That support should be working with them over a period of time without surgery until they reach a point when their home efforts slow down and surgery becomes the option to keeping their progress going.

But, that won't happen under the current medical system. Many at those top weights will qualify for medical intervention via surgery but not for Nutritional support and other non-surgical options unless they can pay out of pocket.

• Love 1

Maybe I am not remembering what happened to Susan, but IFIRC, she had neuropathy, which was apparently caused by being really overweight for many years, not from the surgery (which really pissed me off because Dr. Now was like "get up and walk" like she had a choice.  Asshole. (I have MS and get neuropathy sometimes, no amount of shaming will make your nerves fire correctly)).  

I can think of two possible complications from the surgery off the top of my head which include issues with anesthesia and the pouch/sleeve could leak (they check for leaks the next day).  I'm sure there are others though.

I think something that you may not be considering is the mental illness aspect of this. People don't get to be 600 lbs because they're happy and know how to deal with problems or past traumas. I think it's a lot like anxiety or depression, those suffering from it definitely need different forms of therapy, but some will also need medication.

Seriously.  Some people who have, say, generalized anxiety disorder or agoraphobia aren't suddenly going to start going to the gym or taking long walks around the neighborhood.

I think some of Nikki's success was that she had a support system outside of her family.  It probably didn't hurt that her only major trauma she was admitting to was that her sister was unkind to her, either.

• Love 5

Maybe I am not remembering what happened to Susan, but IFIRC, she had neuropathy, which was apparently caused by being really overweight for many years, not from the surgery (which really pissed me off because Dr. Now was like "get up and walk" like she had a choice.  Asshole. (I have MS and get neuropathy sometimes, no amount of shaming will make your nerves fire correctly)).  

I can think of two possible complications from the surgery off the top of my head which include issues with anesthesia and the pouch/sleeve could leak (they check for leaks the next day).  I'm sure there are others though.

Yes that is what they said on the show.  I thought there was more to it that was related to her surgery.  I agree, it was tough to see them trying to force and shame her into walking.

I fear this is veering off topic, but I will say as a nurse it's an incredibly hard, fine line of knowing when people need to be pushed or need motivation, or when there is a literal/physical limitation keeping them from being able to do something. I always feel terrible and tend to be cautious and not push out of fear that I don't want the patient to feel shamed or anything, but then I get yelled at by the family that I haven't done more to make them get up... I can't win.

• Love 6

I don't think weight loss had or can have a one size fits all option. But I think many of us are saying, it would be nice to see the good folks in Dr Now's office offer more support for the rare patients that do well on their own before the surgery. That support should be working with them over a period of time without surgery until they reach a point when their home efforts slow down and surgery becomes the option to keeping their progress going.

But, that won't happen under the current medical system. Many at those top weights will qualify for medical intervention via surgery but not for Nutritional support and other non-surgical options unless they can pay out of pocket.

I understand what you're saying, and as a Canadian, I'm certainly no expert on American health care, but isn't he considered an expert bariatric surgeon who takes on the patients that most doctors won't? Wouldn't that mean that he wouldn't take on those patients that would be able to lose the weight through other means or would refer them to other doctors? 

• Love 3

I understand what you're saying, and as a Canadian, I'm certainly no expert on American health care, but isn't he considered an expert bariatric surgeon who takes on the patients that most doctors won't? Wouldn't that mean that he wouldn't take on those patients that would be able to lose the weight through other means or would refer them to other doctors?

While he is considered an expert for patients typically deemed too heavy for surgery, that doesn't mean he won't take on patients that aren't in the high risk category. But, for patients crossing state lines, especially those relying on state based Medicare, he isn't always able to just perform the surgery.

For example, If you remember that overweight guy with the enlarged scrotal sac from another TLC show, he had to wait a long time to get approved to see someone out of state like Dr Now as his home state required that he used an in state doctor for his surgery. Otherwise he would have to pay out of pocket for his surgery. That's just one issue.

But my other point was, the system, in general terms, only pays for bariatric surgery. Even when a patient may WANT to pursue non surgical options, it's not likely covered by their medical plan. So, many doctors and patients view surgery as their primary option because of the great personal expense involved with preventative steps like nutrional visits and exercise support.

• Love 2

Nikki is darling...is she the first one who has ever said, "I did this to myself"? As soon as I heard that I knew she was going to succeed.

Those doughnuts...wow. I love food but I don't eat that many doughnuts in a year, let alone in one sitting. I'd be sick as a dog. How do they manage to keep it all down?

• Love 4

Those doughnuts...wow. I love food but I don't eat that many doughnuts in a year, let alone in one sitting. I'd be sick as a dog. How do they manage to keep it all down?

Yes, I never understood how people could eat more than one dougnut, they are so greesy and immediately give me heartburn.  I'm sure she really did eat dougnuts, but I had to roll my eyes when she made the stop on the way to work to buy them...like here's TLC showing another sterotypical fat person eating like a pig (when it looked like she had just eaten like three dougnuts earlier in the morning when her dad sent them to her on the stair lift).

Switching topics - 

I was rewatching this show and I thought of something...could it be that a good portion of this family angst had to do her maybe being homosexual?  Sexuality never seems to be mentioned in this series in general and I think its an important discussion.  As much as we think everyone should be loving and accepting of people no matter what, they aren't.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone became 600 pounds because he or she had to supress his or her homosexuality due to non-accepting family members.  I just really don't buy that all the family drama is due to Nikki's weight when all the women in the family are clearly over weight.

• Love 2

Yes, I never understood how people could eat more than one dougnut, they are so greesy and immediately give me heartburn.  I'm sure she really did eat dougnuts, but I had to roll my eyes when she made the stop on the way to work to buy them...like here's TLC showing another sterotypical fat person eating like a pig (when it looked like she had just eaten like three dougnuts earlier in the morning when her dad sent them to her on the stair lift).

Switching topics - 

I was rewatching this show and I thought of something...could it be that a good portion of this family angst had to do her maybe being homosexual?  Sexuality never seems to be mentioned in this series in general and I think its an important discussion.  As much as we think everyone should be loving and accepting of people no matter what, they aren't.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone became 600 pounds because he or she had to supress his or her homosexuality due to non-accepting family members.  I just really don't buy that all the family drama is due to Nikki's weight when all the women in the family are clearly over weight.

Did you just have a vibe that she is gay, or did the show allude to it? (I'm having trouble remembering it all!)

I'm late to the party...but man, when her dad shot her up that plate of doughnuts BEFORE breakfast.....boy....I was not hopeful. I'm glad it turned out for them!

• Love 3

In the final scene they showed her with her friends at an improv show and Nikki was participating in a skit.  The skit was based on her "speed dating" and the people she was speed dating seemed to be all women.  Also, I was getting the gay vibe from her too...but I could absolutely be wrong!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The issue isn't necessarily losing the weight. It's keeping it off. Less than 5% of morbidly obese people who lose weight keep it off without surgery.

Nikki was a winner. I am looking forward to seeing updates and how she develops her style. Love those jeweled cat's-eye glasses.

• Love 3

compulsive overeaters will eventually say the hell with it  (A person doesn't get to be 600 pounds to begin with without having some deep seeded issues with food and overeating).

Did anyone else have to look away with disbelief when Nikki's parents were being interviewed, initially? Especially when the mom was frying whatever oversize portion of food, while shaking her head and saying, I don't know where this compulsive over-eating comes from...  And Dad says "Are we helping her or enabling her? (after giving chocolate milk and donuts. Are these same parents looking in the mirror and seeing thin, healthy people? It's like they don't understand her weight gain at all, yet that could easily be them? When the caption said Dad used to be captain of his football team, well come on, surely he knows what a healthy body looks like. Despite this minor complaint, I really, really, liked this family and hope they all have a long and healthy future ahead of them.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 3

Nicki had a boatload of crap when she was released from the hospital after only four days. She had several quilts and pillows and three ir four of those floral fabric bags. Her dad had to use the cart to carry it out. Lol. The update note on the bottom of the screen said that Nicki and her family were Mormon. I wondered why they would include that and what it had to do with the show about weight loss.

• Love 1

Nikki was gorgeous and fun and motivated. Loved this episode. 

I'm a personal trainer so I understand the whole "why don't they just exercise and diet?" mentality. But once you get to a certain weight, and when you've been battling a severe addiction to food for so long, that isn't enough. It's like, a casual drug user might be able to quit using willpower, but a heavy addict needs rehab. Surgery is like the strictest rehab for food addicts. It is necessary in a lot of cases, and considering it's no picnic, I don't consider it a magic bullet. 

• Love 7

Did anyone else have to look away with disbelief when Nikki's parents were being interviewed, initially? Especially when the mom was frying whatever oversize portion of food, while shaking her head and saying, I don't know where this compulsive over-eating comes from...  And Dad says "Are we helping her or enabling her? (after giving chocolate milk and donuts. Are these same parents looking in the mirror and seeing thin, healthy people? It's like they don't understand her weight gain at all, yet that could easily be them? When the caption said Dad used to be captain of his football team, well come on, surely he knows what a healthy body looks like. Despite this minor complaint, I really, really, liked this family and hope they all have a long and healthy future ahead of them.

How many times have we seen a truly thin and fit immediate family member on this show?  I think it has been maybe one time.  All the immediate family members are obese.  I know people will say they are "overweight" but if they are more than 30 pounds overweight they are obese.  These are super morbidly obese people who come from families of obese people.  

I think that most of the parents on these shows at least spent their own childhoods being active and eating three meals a day and generally not eating unhealthy snacks or fast food.  So the parents do not have the horrid head start they gave their children.  Thus, they are 50 to 100 pounds overweight instead of 400.  

I know that these people are seen as enablers and sabotagers but I see things just a little differently.  I think ultimately they do not want to face the pain of indicting themselves.  They don't want to admit that their own diet, lifestyle and weight is a big problem. They are all eating donuts and fast food - the other family members are just eating less of it.  

• Love 2

I watched this episode last night. I think I saw part of it before. I agree it was nice seeing at her weight she was able to drive, get around, work, etc. & had a nice family. But I couldn't believe they actually showed them using their Stair lift thing as a dumbwaiter for her donuts. Talk about enabling & just being lazy. Being disabled, I would love to have one of those (to be used for its original purpose) but can't afford it at present time. I was also tired of her saying a few times "my hard work didn't pay off" when she was talking about her presurgery weight loss & still not getting approved for the surgery at the beginning. Didn't she realize what her weight has done to her heart, lungs & other organs & that any weight loss is good? I thought she did cuz she made the usual "I have to do something or I'll die" kind of comments. I'm sure she was disappointed, but once again, she didn't seem to grasp the whole health thing or want to. Like "I'm glad Dr Now is concerned my heart may not make it through surgery" kind of thing rather than hear a "woe is me" kind of attitude. They just want to hear they are approved for surgery. Just another reason why presurgery counseling should be a must.

• Love 4

Watching a repeat - I didn't remember her shower scene. When you see her stomach you really get an idea of how big she is. Maybe it's just me, but the long shirts and skirts hide a lot. You don't see the physical-ness of her obesity. She must have been miserable. I'm so glad she took things seriously and has had a happy ending.

• Love 2
On 7/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, aliya said:

Watching a repeat - I didn't remember her shower scene. When you see her stomach you really get an idea of how big she is. Maybe it's just me, but the long shirts and skirts hide a lot. You don't see the physical-ness of her obesity. She must have been miserable. I'm so glad she took things seriously and has had a happy ending.

I wonder if Nikki ever had skin removal surgery??  I noticed when Dr. Now saw her last time he mentioned his expectation that she would be at her target weight in 1 year; HOWEVER, he (as he usually does) never mentioned when she'd be ready for skin removal surgery.  I looked online for updates about her but didn't see anything.

She had her stomach skin removal on the follow up show, she had a wound vac, and when she went home, a local doctor put the wound vacs on again, and it interfered with healing.   In the follow up her mother also started treating her much better.   

I saw the wedding pictures, she looked so happy, and she really deserves that happiness.    She's such a lovely person.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, not you again said:

I am slowly working my way through this show to fill in the time after Love After Lockup and 90 Day Fiance, lol.

Nikki is the CUTEST THING.  Even at 600 pounds I just wanted to put her in my pocket.   Her sweet face!  That red hair!  Her spark!

I also was the less-loved child by my mother, and I can't tell you what kind of damage that does to your soul.  Her dad did seem sincerely engaged with her as a person in her own right, even if he did as a PP stated, bear an unfortunate resemblance to Dick Cheney.  And with sisters like hers, who needs enemies?

I hope Nikki has a happy life.  She deserves it.

She is such a lovely woman, I am so happy for her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The shows on now, and it’s definitely an outlier in the series. Most of the poundparticipants are repulsive, but with her red hair and bubbly personality Nikki definitely has potential. She wasn’t molested, nor were her parent divorced or drug addicts and they appeared to be solidly middle class. She has a college degree, as opposed to so many on this show who dropped out of school at 16 (which usually means they gave up on school at 13, but has to wait until 16 to make it official).

So why was Nikki huge? Jealous of her sisters for their weddings or of her brother for the attention Cerebral Palsy requires? Somehow she was able to figure it out and reform, but what that was and how it happened is never explained.

Edited by Concerned
  • Love 1

The biggest clue was her mom ... coldly stating ..... that SHE never bonded with Nikki.  Considering the age differences, I suspect Nikki was a surprise! baby.

So loud, bubbly, Nikki had the lost task of trying to compete for attention with her disabled brother and two perfect sisters.

Then add in her dad over compensating in this weird dynamic by being one of the worst enablers ever.  Using the step chair intended for Chris to shuttle up a first breakfast of donuts and Coke was insane.  As was renting a retreat after surgery where Nikki barely lost any weight.  

That she finally started losing weight was actually a surprise.  Maybe finally confronting her perfect sister?  

• Love 3