Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Nikki's Story

• Start Topic

Episode synopsis: A costume designer finds her career threatened when her weight increases to 650 pounds, so she prepares for gastric-bypass surgery and gets psychological help to uncover the causes of her lifelong secret eating habit.

Just a reminder to everyone to please keep the discussion considerate and respectful, and to limit the unnecessarily body shaming and general shaming overall. This Mod Note explains in a little more detail. Thank you.

Just FYI, before this episode aired there is an update special in tlc right now! It's called moments of truth if anyone is looking it up, my guide says 1/6/16 so it's new!l. I know there have been lots of questions not the progress of some of the stories, so far he has talked about Melissa, Charity, Penny, Donald. Sorry I know it's kinda off topic for this episode but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

• Love 4

What a fantastic episode! I'm crying. Nikki is the anti-Penny. So honest, open and willing to make the changes necessary to succeed.She took the initiative to resolve her family issues, and was so happy that they wanted to as well. 

• Love 12

I almost forgot about the new season and tuned in just in time to catch the end of Melissa's story.  She's pregnant w/baby #3? Did they show if she had gained weight? What did she have to say?  She looked plumper in the face (all that I saw), but if she's pregnant, it could be baby weight.

What a burden Nikki has!  Even losing the weight, she still has that huge apron and I bet they won't do skin surgery until she loses more weight. I can never tell what the standards are for the different ways patients are treated. Some have come in and had aprons and lymphodemas dealt with first so that they could be mobile and help the weight loss later. Others struggled to get the surgery done at all. I haven't figured it out..

I hope they show an update on her: the anti-Penny indeed!

• Love 3
Nikki is the anti-Penny.

Definitely!  This was a good episode.  Nikki knew that she had a problem, she didn't try to blame others (even though there were family problems, she recognized that she couldn't blame her sisters or parents for everything that was wrong).  Even though they still felt a need to include a shower scene, I didn't have a problem in watching this episode at all.  I don't know if they've shown this in other episodes (I haven't seen them all), but I liked seeing some actual medical tests being done before surgery and that she got some therapy afterwards instead of having to do it all on her own.

This is one of the few episodes where I'm really anxious to see a follow-up to her story in a year or so.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 7

This may have been the highest I.Q. family ever featured. Not a double negative to be heard.

Nikki was/is highly motivated to lose weight and I'm cheering for her. What a breath of fresh air!

"Don't you come home with no broken bones" -Angel S3

I hope they show an update on her: the anti-Penny indeed!

Here's another vote for the anti-penny.  Nikki is the first person featured on this show that I think would be fun to hang out with, even when she was at her heaviest.  She seems like a really cool, creative, and artsy sort of gal.

I almost forgot about the new season and tuned in just in time to catch the end of Melissa's story.  She's pregnant w/baby #3? Did they show if she had gained weight? What did she have to say?  She looked plumper in the face (all that I saw), but if she's pregnant, it could be baby weight.

I said this over in another thread, but I was disapointed with this show because they really didn't show any updates.  Also I thought Melissa looked terrible.  I believe she was pregnant, but they could have put a little makeup on her, maybe foundation would have been nice.  I know that's not really nice to say and we shouldn't shame other women, but come on!  You're on a show where everyone wants to see what you look like now.  Why not put your best face forward?

• Love 7

Just FYI, before this episode aired there is an update special in tlc right now! It's called moments of truth if anyone is looking it up, my guide says 1/6/16 so it's new!l. I know there have been lots of questions not the progress of some of the stories, so far he has talked about Melissa, Charity, Penny, Donald. Sorry I know it's kinda off topic for this episode but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I was surprised that Melissa was back with her husband and having their third baby.

The last lady, the one that lived in the basement looked great.

• Love 3

Can somebody explain something to me. I've never seen the show before so maybe I just don't understand. The woman cries about not being able to lose weight, then eats donuts. The Dr gives her a diet to stick to and she loses 60 pounds, which proves she can lose the weight if she put some effort into it.

The part I don't understand is, if she showed she can lose weight, why didn't the Dr just tell her to keep doing what she's doing and she'll lose the weight? If she can lose it with effort, why does she need the surgery? She lost 60 pounds in a month or so, why not just keep doing that?

Seems a hell of a lot safer than the surgery.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 9

Maharincess, some patients do better BEFORE the surgery than others. In Nikki's case, I wish he had held out that carrot of surgery just a little longer. She lost quite a bit of weight in just a few months without the surgery. I bet she would have kept going.

But given that they are featured on a show about getting gastric bypass, we all know, barring some complication, they ALL get the surgery.

• Love 1

1) I was disappointed in the follow up special that aired before, I was excited when I saw it was updated, but then it didn't really turn out to be much... I'll put the rest of my thought in the appropriate thread, I just wanted to mention it, since I'm the one who said it was on up thread.

2) I liked Nikki, she is one of the few who had a job even before surgery (well at least that has been shown I supposed a few of them may have had a job that was not featured). I also liked that her family was pretty supportive and counting calories together. It's always hard when the family isn't supportive and eats junk in front of the patient, I don't necessarily think everybody should go on a strict diet (within the family I mean) but it doesn't hurt anybody to eat a little healthier, with maybe a cheat out of the patients sight.

3) dr now could stand to lay off the hair dye, I'm in my early 30's and have very few gray hairs, but I still have more than him... Holy hair dye.

• Love 4

Can somebody explain something to me. I've never seen the show before so maybe I just don't understand. The woman cries about not being able to lose weight, then eats donuts. The Dr gives her a diet to stick to and she loses 60 pounds, which proves she can lose the weight if she put some effort into it.

The part I don't understand is, if she showed she can lose weight, why didn't the Dr just tell her to keep doing what she's doing and she'll lose the weight? If she can lose it with effort, why does she need the surgery? She lost 60 pounds in a month or so, why not just keep doing that?

The short answer is because in order to lose 450 pounds or so, you have to stay on a strict diet for years and while she is losing 60 lbs or so a month now, that would soon slow to  40, then 20, then 10, and so on and compulsive overeaters will eventually say the hell with it  (A person doesn't get to be 600 pounds to begin with without having some deep seeded issues with food and overeating).  Having bariatric surgery is mearly a tool to help keep you on a diet for at least the first couple years--basically, your shrunken stomach doesn't care if its your birthday, Christmas, or if you are on a hot date, if you eat too much, too fast, or the wrong thing, you will get sick and puke...and its a painful puke.  And that's how you get someone with a severe compulsion to overeat to get to stay on a strict diet for years.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 16

I really liked Nikki. And her family. Wow, someone with a job who leaves the house and is motivated to lose weight so they can work. She is definitely in the minority for this show. I did note that despite her surgery, Nikki's weight loss slowed way down afterward, which I found surprising. I suspect there are deeper issues with her sister than what was said on the show. I really liked Nikki's dad. I agree with the poster upthread who said this was the highest IQ family they have ever featured.

But TLC, you messed with me. My DVR said this was a 2 hour episode. THen they foist  that skin surgery show on us. Bait and switch! I turned it off. THey must have taken a cue from Bravo who loves to do that crap to my DVR. 

• Love 6

Here's another vote for the anti-penny.  Nikki is the first person featured on this show that I think would be fun to hang out with, even when she was at her heaviest.  She seems like a really cool, creative, and artsy sort of gal.

Agreed. She'll be a real knockout when she gets to goal weight. She has a pretty face, nice skin and a sweet smile; she knows how to put on makeup and wear her hair in an attractive way. I liked her room, too, it was decorated in a whimsical, girly style. It was great to see her gaining confidence and becoming more in control. I have to confess that I was yelling at the teevee when her dad was loading the stair lift with donuts but I came to really love him; he was so good humored and kind.

I got sucked into watching the skin show--can I just say that if I was lying in bed, loopy from drugs and in pain, the last thing I would want to see is the skin that was removed from my body? Holy moly, people, put that shit away! My nightmares would never end!

• Love 5

So glad they started the season on such a positive note. Nikki is love! 

What a burden Nikki has!  Even losing the weight, she still has that huge apron and I bet they won't do skin surgery until she loses more weight. I can never tell what the standards are for the different ways patients are treated. Some have come in and had aprons and lymphodemas dealt with first so that they could be mobile and help the weight loss later. Others struggled to get the surgery done at all. I haven't figured it out..

Frankly, I think there is an element of the squeaky wheel getting the oil with regards to who gets their aprons and lymphodemas dealt with early.  I don't think Dr. Now likes to do it unless necessary. It definitely makes more sense to wait until the patient is close to goal since why take care of hanging skin know when the patient has another 150-200 lbs to lose? I thought the one patient who needed it the most, former basement dweller Olivia, should really have gotten her surgery earlier than she did. That was straight up almost 60 pounds of hanging elephant skin she was uncomfortably lugging around. It looked like it touched the floor when she sat. I mean come one now!  I think the fact that Nikki, although she had some noticeable difficulty getting around, was really pretty highly mobile. She could walk (albeit not too far), get up and down stairs on her own, drive a normal sedan and had a job. I can't think of too many patients featured that actually had viable employment. Most of those featured on the show seem to be pretty much shut ins at the mercy of their caretaker/enablers.

But TLC, you messed with me. My DVR said this was a 2 hour episode. THen they foist  that skin surgery show on us. Bait and switch! I turned it off. THey must have taken a cue from Bravo who loves to do that crap to my DVR. 

Me too. I thought this was gonna be a doozy of an episode with lots of medical complications and possibly a raging bitch of a patient if it is 2 hours long and low and behold, the second hour was that skin removal show. 

Is one of the effects of bariatric surgery and extreme fast weight loss, hair loss? I swear everyone's hair seems to somehow look really bad by the end (except most of the men who keep their hair short so it is hard to tell). Maybe it was the light color of her hair but from some angles Nikki looked like she has some noticeable hair loss and maybe even be getting a bald spot. 

• Love 1
Me too. I thought this was gonna be a doozy of an episode with lots of medical complications and possibly a raging bitch of a patient if it is 2 hours long and low and behold, the second hour was that skin removal show.

Me, three! I was getting nervous at the usual last-commerial break at 9:52 wondering what kind of special hell awaited Nikki ... and then it ended at 10 and here comes the loose skin people! WTF?! (Also, the "Skin" show [or whatever it was called, "Loose?" who knows] reminded me of the show about the people with jacked up teeth TLC used to play. Both of them were like The Swan - except focusing on one part of the body.)

Nikki! Just loved her. And I loved her brother! (I missed the beginning -- did they mention the nature of his disability?) And...hated her sister who simply couldn't deal with the idea of her kids being around her morbidly obese sister beause she "scared" them. Big f-u to that piece of work. I have an idea lady, why not either ignore your sister's weight issue because your kids probably didn't even notice anything unusual about her until YOU had to point it out to them, or sit them down and have a discussion about how everyone is different and they deserve love no matter what they look like? Then her crying about how "hard" it was for her to deal with Nikki's weight. Oh, man. Yes, what a terrible hardship for you

Nikki's brother has cerebral palsy.  They seem to have a very positive relationship.  Her sister, on the other hand, can go suck eggs.  Even in their conversation she was somehow the victim of Nikki's weight.  I hope that with more therapy Nikki is able to confront her on her terrible behavior.  

I was surprised that Nikki is 33.  She is so youthful.  It was nice to see an intelligent family that simply needed help.  I liked her father saying he had trouble determining when he was helping and when he was enabling.  Of course, I think we all know where donuts fall on that scale but I can see his confusion at other times.  Was Nikki a lot younger than her siblings?  I get the sense she was a bit of a surprise late-in-life baby.  

• Love 4

Is one of the effects of bariatric surgery and extreme fast weight loss, hair loss? I swear everyone's hair seems to somehow look really bad by the end (except most of the men who keep their hair short so it is hard to tell). Maybe it was the light color of her hair but from some angles Nikki looked like she has some noticeable hair loss and maybe even be getting a bald spot. 

Yes, hair loss occurs after gastric surgery. It's in all the materials before you consent to the procedure. I had my gastric sleeve surgery last March and I lost a fairly significant amount of hair, but since my hair was thick to begin with, only I really noticed it. (And my shower drain.)

Nikki was a great story to start the season. She had a job and she worked VERY HARD to be approved for the surgery. I also really appreciated her family participating in the calorie counting and recipes. It's always helpful when you're surrounded by supportive people. Her Dad seemed really sweet and into helping her.

I really respected and was touched by Nikki's relationship with her brother. She recognized that she needed to take care of herself to take care of him eventually.  

There isn't a forum for Skin Tight, but this show was interesting to me, having accepted that after my own surgery, I will definitely need some kind of reconstructive surgery. It was graphic, but realistic. 

• Love 8

Me, three! I was getting nervous at the usual last-commerial break at 9:52 wondering what kind of special hell awaited Nikki ... and then it ended at 10 and here comes the loose skin people! WTF?! (Also, the "Skin" show [or whatever it was called, "Loose?" who knows] reminded me of the show about the people with jacked up teeth TLC used to play. Both of them were like The Swan - except focusing on one part of the body.)

Nikki! Just loved her. And I loved her brother! (I missed the beginning -- did they mention the nature of his disability?) And...hated her sister who simply couldn't deal with the idea of her kids being around her morbidly obese sister beause she "scared" them. Big f-u to that piece of work. I have an idea lady, why not either ignore your sister's weight issue because your kids probably didn't even notice anything unusual about her until YOU had to point it out to them, or sit them down and have a discussion about how everyone is different and they deserve love no matter what they look like? Then her crying about how "hard" it was for her to deal with Nikki's weight. Oh, man. Yes, what a terrible hardship for you

Her brother has Cerebral Palsy. I loved the scenes when she was just walking and talking to him. He seemed so happy that she was spending time with him and getting healthy.

• Love 5

Way to go, Nikki. She reminded me a lot of Melissa in her determination. Her dad looked so much like a sweet, bizarro world Dick Cheney.

Dr. Now worries me. I know he's getting older, but his face is so much more puffy and swollen as if he's on prednisone or some other steroid.

• Love 1

3) dr now could stand to lay off the hair dye, I'm in my early 30's and have very few gray hairs, but I still have more than him... Holy hair dye.

Off topic question but.....

Lol did you watch the new show after My 600 lb life?. He has a new lighter shade of hair on that show. Dear lord, I nearly screamed with laughter.

• Love 1

Most of the patients on this show can barely get ouy of bed at 600 lbs. there she was at 650 and still holding down her job. She was a real sweetheart and I hope she can keep at it.

• Love 12
She had a job and she worked VERY HARD to be approved for the surgery. I also really appreciated her family participating in the calorie counting and recipes. It's always helpful when you're surrounded by supportive people. Her Dad seemed really sweet and into helping her.

I agree.  I was really pulling for her.  Many times, when the patient isn't very nice or doesn't try, I don't feel bad for them at all when they get on the scale and they've lost nothing or just a few pounds.  However, when Nikki stood on the scale, I actually had my fingers crossed for her.  I also was happy that her family (at least her parents and brother) were trying to eat healthier along with her.  There have been so many of these episodes where the patient is sitting there eating their skinless chicken and broccoli while the rest of the family is eating fried chicken and mac 'n cheese (and then can't understand why the person doesn't lose weight or gives up).

• Love 1

My favorite episode ever, except maybe for Gloria. I just loved it. Nikki reminds me so much of my little sister in personality, looks, artistic flair, gorgeous smile. My sister is a high school art teacher, so on her feet a lot of the day. She and I have both had RNY bypass. It's worked well for me, but I didn't have as much weight to lose to begin with, and I don't have the level of food addiction or food preferences as my sister, I still fight my demons. For my sister it's a little different. She was 400 pounds when she had her surgery 3 1/2 years ago and now she's probably about 265. She's not where she wants to be, and she deludes herself with how well she follows the rules a lot of the time. Now she is back working with our surgery center dieticians and getting back on track, so hopefully it will stick.

Hair loss is a real problem in most cases of extreme weight loss, largely due to the lack of protein. Patients have to be really focused on their protein intake, and take the vitamins required (and there are a TON of vitamins per day). I'm glad this show is back! I hope we get some more of these successes and less of the train wrecks like Penny.

• Love 2

I did like this episode. Not too much of the highly shocking scenes we saw last year.    I am replying here because that is all I think about when I see so many of these people. Nikki could of lost the weight without surgery. She was still mobile and working and was able to lose weight before surgery.    I think the answer to why the doctor doesn't encourage them to keep going is because he is in business to do the surgery and make money.     

On the show about excess skin last night, the man lost considerable weight with no surgery.    I was happy to see that so people might choose that route instead of surgery and all the risks and consequences afterwards.

I hope Nikki continues to be successful , but the food , that hideous food in her parents house was so gross.

• Love 2

I, too, was really rooting for Nikki.  What a sweet girl, though a trifle young acting for her age.  Probably whatever led her to her food addiction is also a hindrance to her reaching a fully-vested adulthood.  I liked her interactions with her family for the most part, though I wanted to slap mom and dad silly when they were eating unhealthy and enabling Nikki to eat unhealthy as well.  Mom was also quite chubby.  Brother was a sweetheart.

I couldn't really fault the sister, as we never got her side of the story, really.  What they did show was her telling Nikki that she didn't want to watch Nikki slowly killing herself with weight, which I could understand.  Watching anyone basically commit suicide in front of you, and you can't do a thing about it, would be horrible.  We only really got Nikki's side of the story, which she heard through her own filters.  Same with her mom - she said she thought her mom was closer to her sisters.  And Nikki might really have seen it that way and remember it that way, but that's not necessarily what anyone else saw.  And it sounds like Nikki was a lot younger than her sisters (they were getting married when she was 13 or so), so of course their mom would be treating them differently.  They were adults, and Nikki was still a child.

Anyway, I really liked that Nikki had a job and was still walking, unlike SOME patients we've see (I'm looking at YOU, Penny and Paulette(?)).  And no whining - such a relief.

• Love 2

Yes, hair loss occurs after gastric surgery. It's in all the materials before you consent to the procedure. I had my gastric sleeve surgery last March and I lost a fairly significant amount of hair, but since my hair was thick to begin with, only I really noticed it. (And my shower drain.)

Nikki was a great story to start the season. She had a job and she worked VERY HARD to be approved for the surgery. I also really appreciated her family participating in the calorie counting and recipes. It's always helpful when you're surrounded by supportive people. Her Dad seemed really sweet and into helping her.

I really respected and was touched by Nikki's relationship with her brother. She recognized that she needed to take care of herself to take care of him eventually.  

There isn't a forum for Skin Tight, but this show was interesting to me, having accepted that after my own surgery, I will definitely need some kind of reconstructive surgery. It was graphic, but realistic. 

Yay, another sleever!  I had mine done 9/2014 and am down about 160 in total.  You can help me explain to these fine commenters how sometimes diet and exercise just doesn't work...especially when you are  600lbs.  

I too did notice Nikki's scalp.  I had very thick hair and lost a ton of it too, fistfulls every day for about a month, and it hasn't come back. I just changed my hairstylto include layers instead of all one length and it looks fine.  I was told hairloss was mostly due from the anesthesia, but lack of proper nutrition and stress does it too.

I caught tail end of skin tight.  My DVR didn't record it, but I have it set to record tonight at 11.  I need to sit down and watch it and I'm going to force my husband to watch it with me, just so we can see what I am in for.  I look just as bad, if not worse, than those people.  If they do it again next year, i'm going to apply to be on the show because I don't know how I'm going to afford to pay for it otherwise!

Someone mentioned upthread that Nikki's weightloss slowed after the surgery (I couldn't find it, or I would have quoted it).  At first, I was thinking wtf, another one?  But I think what happens is that the body is in such turmoil after surgery (and trying to heal!) that it holds on to whatever it can--however there is no reason a 600 lb person should lose only 2 lbs on the month after surgery...15, OK because you are still only consuming liquids.  Her weightloss had to have picked up after a couple months because a 200 lb weightloss in a year is incredible.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 2

Why not just diet and exercise? The sad statistical truth is that if you have maintained a state of morbid obesity, you have a 1% chance of maintaining a significant weight loss without bariatric surgery.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-eat-less-more-obesity-20150212-story.html

I really liked Nikki and wish her well in her continued progress with obesity. I also found it strange that her weight loss slowed down so much post-op. It seems like something was going on there that we didn't get the full story on. Also, her family had very cute dogs :)

I lost almost 200 lbs with my gastric sleeve after being morbidly obese since childhood. Best decision I ever made!

Frankly I was not terribly impressed with the results from Skin Tight. I don't think any of those surgeons specialize in body reconstruction after massive weight loss. Yes, the patients looked much better post-op, but someone who is a real artist with this kind of work, like Dr. Capella in New Jersey, would have done a much better job. He's one of the surgeons I'm theoretically considering for after I win the lotto. Though I will say that if my only choices were these doctors and no skin removal surgery, I would probably go for these doctors . . . don't know if I want to get my excess skin removed so badly that I would do it on national tv though! I am very shy. I also don't hate my body as much as these two patients did.

• Love 6

Nikki could of lost the weight without surgery.

At 33 years old, don't you think she has tried many, many times?  It is the promise of the surgery that actually helps motivate most of the patients to lose the required weight before surgery.  The 2 months or however long it took her to lose the pre-op weight is more than likely the longest she had ever maintained healthy eating without a relapse.  The surgery makes success more attainable to the people like Nikki who are driven and motivated.  

I hope Nikki continues to meet her goals.  She seemed sweet and had such a beautiful smile (I know, obese people hate hearing that but she did!)

• Love 5

Yay, another sleever! I had mine done 9/2014 and am down about 160 in total. You can help me explain to these fine commenters how sometimes diet and exercise just doesn't work...especially when you are 600lbs.

I too did notice Nikki's scalp. I had very thick hair and lost a ton of it too, fistfulls every day for about a month, and it hasn't come back. I just changed my hairstylto include layers instead of all one length and it looks fine. I was told hairloss was mostly due from the anesthesia, but lack of proper nutrition and stress does it too.

I caught tail end of skin tight. My DVR didn't record it, but I have it set to record tonight at 11. I need to sit down and watch it and I'm going to force my husband to watch it with me, just so we can see what I am in for. I look just as bad, if not worse, than those people. If they do it again next year, i'm going to apply to be on the show because I don't know how I'm going to afford to pay for it otherwise!

Someone mentioned upthread that Nikki's weightloss slowed after the surgery (I couldn't find it, or I would have quoted it). At first, I was thinking wtf, another one? But I think what happens is that the body is in such turmoil after surgery (and trying to heal!) that it holds on to whatever it can--however there is no reason a 600 lb person should lose only 2 lbs on the month after surgery...15, OK because you are still only consuming liquids. Her weightloss had to have picked up after a couple months because a 200 lb weightloss in a year is incredible.

But diet and exercise DO work, it worked for Nikki! Its just like anything else that you have to actually do it though, consistently, every day. People lost weight before these surgeries, so it is possible. I think these surgeries are dangerous. My opinion is that these people would be better off with therapy, diet and exercise.

Just my opinion.

• Love 4

Yes, they'd be better off without drastic measures like surgery.  Most people can do things short term, with a "light at the end of the tunnel", so they can stick out a couple of months of dieting.  But if they think they have to do this long term - like a lifetime of fighting hunger pangs and feeling deprived - then they lose that fight.  At least with the smaller stomach that surgery gives, they don't have to go around all day with hunger pangs.

• Love 5

"Don't you come home with no broken bones" -Angel S3

I was just thinking this - I want to hang out with her lol  She seems like a cool and fun person.

I want to know what was up with her very slow (comparatively speaking) post surgery.

Slow weight loss?  Probably do to her not getting the full bypass and only getting the sleeve.  Dr. Now said when getting the sleeve weight loss isn't as aggressive as when you get the full bypass. 

But diet and exercise DO work, it worked for Nikki! Its just like anything else that you have to actually do it though, consistently, every day. People lost weight before these surgeries, so it is possible. I think these surgeries are dangerous. My opinion is that these people would be better off with therapy, diet and exercise.

Just my opinion.

But not for everyone.  She lost the weight before she had a prize at the end waiting for her.  When you don't get full it's really hard to stop and restrain yourself.  That's what the surgery is for.  An added surgery measure.  You can only eat a very small fraction of what you were before.  There is something in your body finally telling you to stop.  If you eat the wrong stuff, you will get REALLY sick. 

Without surgery she probably would have lost the 100 lbs and given up seeing as how the surgery didn't make it much faster for her.

Does anyone know what taco dish they were eating that was ONLY 300-ish calories???? It looked like a giant bowl!!  I want that recipe lol

• Love 1

Does anyone know what taco dish they were eating that was ONLY 300-ish calories???? It looked like a giant bowl!! I want that recipe lol

It was probably just seasoned ground turkey or chicken with a lot of lettuce and salad veggies, salsa, and a couple taco chips--which I thought would get her in trouble as what part of "no carbs" did you not get?? (Yes, I know salad and veggies are carbs too)

I think its an individual thing to make a decision regarding surgery versus no surgery. There are many people who do not get surgery and are very successful.  Surgery of any kind should always be a last resort.

I think another problem is that a lot of people think automatically in our world of McFast, that THE only solution is surgery, which is just not true.

It is also not the real solution, getting to the real reasons emotionally is first in my opinion. We have all seen many times on this show alone that people like Penny, Pauline and quite a few othes go right on eating whatever they want and way too much.

I look at it as taking something like Prozac and not dealing with the actual depression. Stop the Prozac and your problems are still there.

Once someone starts losing weight and is seeing results, cravings do diminish. In fact, you can actually lose the cravings and have no desire to eat fatty, greasy and unhealthy foods.     You start craving health, looking and feeling good instead.

Slow weight loss?  Probably do to her not getting the full bypass and only getting the sleeve.  Dr. Now said when getting the sleeve weight loss isn't as aggressive as when you get the full bypass.

I don't know, I lost much, much faster than Nikki after my sleeve surgery even though I am significantly older than she is and started out at a much lower weight, both factors that mean I should lose slower than her, not faster. And I wasn't considered a particularly fast loser myself, I was more on the slow side. Maybe I did the math wrong but I thought the tv show said she had lost 5 lbs in the first 5 weeks after surgery, but normal weight loss for that time frame post-sleeve would be more like 15 - 25 lbs. So I definitely thought there was something odd going on.

• Love 1

Could be, I mean I also thought she was losing slow too but there might be genetic factors in there.  Or she was somewhat cheating. But Dr. Now seemed to be happy with her progress. 

The guy on the loose skin episode didn't have surgery and lost it all by exercise (i think)

I thought she lost 15 the first month, but I may be wrong, I'll rewatch it later.  Even so, I think 15 is low, but not crazy low for the first month considering what the body goes through after major surgery like that.  I personally put on a couple pounds in the couple days after my surgery, not because I was eating (I wasn't eating anything at all, I could hardly drink enough water to take my pain meds), but because of all of the fluids they pumped me up  with before I left the hospital.  If you read the bariatric chat forums, you will see that many bariatric patients are on liquids only for the first month post surgery and many don't lose much during month 1.  But here's what continues to puzzle me to this day: If you remember Betty Jo from last season, it was implied that she was eating hamburger helper in the month after surgery which I still don't get.  No only is beef extremely hard on the tummy, but the fat content of that should have caused her to get very sick.  All I know is that if someone would have even cooked ground beef or hamburger helper in my house a month post surgery, the smell alone would have made me hurl.

You know what, I want this show to actually show one of these people actually "cheating" one month out of surgery--like show them putting food in his/her mouth like they did with Penny and her won-tons (but she was well more than a month out though).  I just don't believe it!!!!

The only way I would believe Nikki was cheating in month 1 is if they showed her eating crackers.  Surprisingly, the easiest food on your tummy to eat post surgery are dry, lowfat crackers (like saltines), but they are very high in carbs and no other nutritional value, which is why they tell you not to eat them.  So if Nikki was popping a box of saltines a day (doubtful that she could eat more than three crackers though), that could definitely cause a stall in weight loss, but I doubt that's what was going on here.  

And from what I have read about the bypass vs sleeve, at the end of the day, they both produce around the same amount of weight loss.  I have also heard that the sleeve stretches less than the pouch of the bypass, so you may have the restriction feeling for longer. 

Hopefully, this will be the last time I will comment on surgery vs diet/exercise because some people just won't ever understand (and the mods are going to put a stop to this discussion soon): google Ruby Gettinger.  Perfect example of someone who should just get the damn surgery.

• Love 1

I went through the episode chirons.  Nikki lost:

Month 2 check in:  63 lbs. lost

Month 3 check in (May have actually been month 4.  Dr. Now says she has been losing a pound a day):  Total weight loss 112 lbs; so she was kicking ass with diet and exercise with the hope of qualifying for surgery

Month 6 she has the surgery.  Her starting weight is not posted. 

Month 7:  Current weight 528 lbs; weight lost since surgery 8 lbs; total weight loss 122 lbs.

Doing the math from here, she lost very little in the month after surgery as compared to the months in which she was working toward qualifying for surgery.  Although 8 lbs is certainly a good weight loss in a month.  She also had lost very little between the time she qualified for surgery and the surgery taking place. 

Month 8:  Current weight 524 lbs.; weight lost since surgery 12 lbs; total weight lost 126 lbs.

Month 9:  Current weight 519 lbs.; weight lost since surgery 17 lbs; total weight lost 131 lbs.

Nikki sees the therapist and talks to her sister at Thanksgiving.

Month 10:  Current weight 501 lbs.; weight lost since surgery 35 lbs; total weight lost 149 lbs.  So even with it being the holidays, she has a much greater weight loss after seeing the therapist and talking to her sister.  She says she feels she is pushing herself harder and doing more. 

Month 11:  Current weight 484 lbs.; weight lost since surgery 52 lbs; total weight lost 166 lbs.

Month 12:  Current weight 443 lbs.; total weight lost 207 lbs. (I do question based on how she was doing if she lost 41 lbs in a month or if this was more like 6 or 7 weeks between check ins).

So her weight loss before surgery was really dramatic, then it slowed considerably.  Given how she had a major increase after addressing some of her emotional and family issues, it seems to show that the surgery is a tool to help in major weight loss.  There is still a ton of work to do.  I think many other people would have been shown getting a talking to from Dr. Now regarding the slower weight loss post surgery.  Nikki was edited as an all around positive story so that would have thrown off the story line.  So we don't know why exactly her weight loss slowed; we just know that it did and then it picked up again.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if Nikki was prescribed medication post-op for the pulmonary hypertension she was found to have.  Those meds can slow down, if not completely stop weight loss.  Maybe that's why Dr. Now didn't give her such a hard time.  

• Love 1

Muffyn - You rock! This is something I think I want to do for every show because I just want to understand!

I made a spreadsheet to analyze Nikki's weight loss and as a comparison, analyzed my weight loss during the first six months after surgery as recorded in My Fitness Pal (as a reminder, I had the same surgery).  The conclusion is that she lost an equal percentage of her total weight both before and after surgery and as a comparison, I lost one percentage less than she did during my first six months.  Bottom line, she's no Penny (or Betty Jo, Angel, Susan, etc.).

Assuming Nikki had a starting weight of 649, she lost 113 pounds or 17% of her total weight (113/649) prior to surgery with just diet/exercise.  It is assumed she weighed 536 on the date of her surgery (528+8).  In the first six months after her surgery she lost 93 pounds, which was 17% loss of her weight as of the surgery (93/536).  Her total six-month weight loss is 206 ponds, which is a total of a 32% weight loss (206/649).  As a comparison, although I initially lost more weight than she did, my total six month post surgery weight loss was 97 pounds or 31% of my starting weight--so very close.  My doctor did not require me to lose any weight prior to surgery (however I was on a 2 week liquid only diet for two weeks in which I lost 17 lbs)  so I don't have a comparison for just diet/exercise for myself.

I totally understand why people want surgery even if they have successful weight loss prior. They're suffering with hunger and hunger pains before surgery. A big advantage to having a WLS is not suffering every moment of the day because you're genuinely full on less food (although it doesn't help with cravings, I hear.)

• Love 1

At 33 years old, don't you think she has tried many, many times?

After seeing her in the donut drive through? Not really, no.

The part about only losing weight because the surgery is the prize, that's where therapy would come in, and that would show her that the pride of doing it on her own is a much bigger reward than surgery.

I'm just saying I've seen it done many times, I know plenty of people who have lost a lot of weight without surgery. It just takes a lot of hard work and I just don't think a lot of people want to put in that hard work and commitment.

• Love 3

I'm just saying I've seen it done many times, I know plenty of people who have lost a lot of weight without surgery. It just takes a lot of hard work and I just don't think a lot of people want to put in that hard work and commitment.

I don't think it is possible for someone to lose over 400 pounds on their own.  Even after the surgery, it is still a huge commitment and a complete lifestyle change.  They need the medical intervention to be physically unable to eat so much.

• Love 4

I'm not saying having the surgery is wrong or bad or being lazy, not at all. To each their own, I'm just trying to understand why. My father's side of the family are all obese, some dangerously obese. 2 cousins and 2 aunts had enough and started doing what Nikki did. Started out slowly with exercise and totally changed their eating habits and went to individual and group therapy. It took a few years but one cousin lost 280 pounds, the other lost almost that much, one aunt weighed almost 550 pounds and she lost about 400 pounds.

It can be done is all I'm saying. All but one of them has kept the weight off. They had the option of surgery but the dangers of this surgery wasn't worth it to them. They did it the old fashioned way.

A former neighbor had the surgery and she had a lot of complications.

I don't think somebody who opted for surgery is lazy or unmotivated. I'm just saying given the choice, I'd rather do it the natural way. I was never 600 pounds but gained a lot of weight when I quit drinking, I changed an alcohol addiction to a sugar addiction. I lost it by walking. I walked EVERYWHERE and if I had to drive I parked as far away as I could and walked the rest of the way. But that's just me. I'm not condemning anybody for having surgery. I'm just trying to understand why. I truly hope I didn't offend anybody. I'm just offering my opinion and trying to understand.

The weight didn't come on overnight so it seems unhealthy to lose it so fast.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5

I'm not saying having the surgery is wrong or bad or being lazy, not at all. To each their own, I'm just trying to understand why. My father's side of the family are all obese, some dangerously obese. 2 cousins and 2 aunts had enough and started doing what Nikki did. Started out slowly with exercise and totally changed their eating habits and went to individual and group therapy. It took a few years but one cousin lost 280 pounds, the other lost almost that much, one aunt weighed almost 550 pounds and she lost about 400 pounds.

It can be done is all I'm saying. All but one of them has kept the weight off. They had the option of surgery but the dangers of this surgery wasn't worth it to them. They did it the old fashioned way.

That is truly amazing that your family was able to do so well on their own! Especially your aunt. I guess it just seems like many people are unable to do this, or the weight loss slows down a lot and they get discouraged. This show doesn't really talk about the risks or dangers of the surgery, and that would be interesting to see. Obviously, this probably won't happen.

I think Susan last season had some dangerous consequences from the surgery.

Edited by non sequitur