Type keyword(s) to search

Unaired USA: Degrassi:Next Class week of 1/3-1/9

MegaJ

Episode 1: #Bootycall -1/4

Episode 2: #NoFilter -1/5

Episode 3: #YesMeansYes - 1/6

Episode 4: #NotOkay - 1/7

Episode 5: #ButThatsNoneOfMyBusiness- 1/8

That's what Canada's getting this week; Americans get all 9 episodes (and apparently the "finale") January 15th streaming on Netflix.

#BootyCall

*Okay, the main plot focusing around two black characters, focusing around an issue that effects black girls? I guess we're in a new era. I knew this was a deliberate choice to showcase that Degrassi was going to be all about the diversity this season, but I don't mind. It was an issue that wasn't too big and I loved the gym shorts throwback to Emma's first period. I'm down with Shiny, and I loved that they made Tiny smart and interested in science.

*So far, Zig's brazen accusation that Maya's blowing off having sex with him is the only thing that probably wouldn't fly on TeenNick...I do think there was a little bit of writer's amnesia there; I wouldn't think Zig would be so quick to do that especially after their first time was high on Molly and he spent an episode beating himself up for that. I hope that's brought up, otherwise it seems kinda contrived along with Zig apparently sucking at guitar when he was in Whisperhug.

*Tristan and Miles...eyeroll.gif.

#NoFilter

This wasn't as good as the previous episode.

I'm too old to watch this show; all during Miles's pouting I was like "well girl, it's your mom's friggin' house why are you so mad." Enh. I get where the character is coming from, but he needs serious help to actually deal with his emotions because as we've seen, he can get dark (and I see you Esme, being all interested). He's going to have to eventually deal with his dad, I dislike how he's putting it off. But he's a teenager so yeah I guess.

Not much to say about Gracevas other than I liked it and it within character and expanded on Grace's backstory. I thought they managed to increase the life expectancy of people with CF but sadly doing my own research it's stilly mainly in the 30s-40s range. Was particularly reminded of Frankie from the Real World San Diego. No wonder Grace felt like there was no point especially now that she's around 16-17.

Nothing much to say about Frankie's plot either except I'm happy they showed someone actually not really over a breakup and they didn't pair her and Jonah right away. I think I'll like the new Tenner trio, I just hope they all make it to graduation unlike poor Dave and Wesley...

• Love 1

I was beyond disgusted that they had hunter compare intermural sports to the holocaust death camps which were involved in the deaths of millions . I mean what the hell is wrong with the writers and cast? Did no one object to the line at the cast read through? Or did they not just care? Why would spencer say something like that? Someone should have done something

anyone else disgusted?

#YesMeansYes

A-Plot. "The fingering is going to blow your mind." Is that our "hardcore funking" of Next Class?

This is a really good A-Plot and I'm happy they did it from Zig's perspective, mainly because this needs to be drilled in the heads of the few straight boys that watch this show. And some of the girls. I'm seriously tired of the fandom treating Zig as the "cinnamon roll" of Degrassi, this dainty sweety boy who can do no wrong. We've all seen how insecure he can get, especially when it comes to Maya and he's not immune to the societal pressure men and boys get whenever it comes to "locking down" their partners.

The convo with Mama Matlin was also good, just highlights how little teens know about preparation for sex and to just actually talk to each other about it. That's a good recurring theme on the show, a lot of characters just don't really seem to communicate their issues to each other very well. The scene when they started talking and consenting and finally having sex was adorable; and definitely wouldn't make it on TeenNick.

I don't trust Jonah.

B-Plot. Mama Hollingsworth is trash. I get Miles has to eventually face his father and be comfortable with him but it has to be on his terms considering he was the one who was hit. She really seems like she has terrible self-esteem. Esme was okay here. It looks like they're recycling the Eli/Imogen dynamic except that they're sticking closing to what Imogen was originally developed as before she went total cuckoolander.

C-Plot. I just hated how Zoe was being rude as fuck to Hunter when he was proposing his club. Girl, sit down.

This plot hit home, I am very happy that my high school only let us do one year of gym before we were done with it forever. I like Hunter's little four temperament ensemble so far, I really want to see what Yael's deal is.

• Love 2

#NotOkay was okay. I crack myself up.

A-Plot. I like how they didn't make Maya totally in the right here. Yes, that guy calling her a bitch was way out of line (as were the other microagressions) but she's too damn young for playing for adults at a friggin' bar. I would imagine there would be jerks in the audience not paying attention and talking loudly and Maya let her emotions get the best of her, at least in that situation. Her mom was right to not let her do it, but for the wrong reason (though I wouldn't think she would Maya play in a bar if she was a boy).

Also thoroughly enjoyed the Good Angel/Bad Angel scene of Grace, Maya and Zoe at the school with Grace being righteous and angry and Zoe calmly telling Maya how to work within that system.

B-Plot. Triles.

Vijay was cute though.

C-Plot. Hmm. I wonder where Shay gets her driven nature from. Her parents are seen to be cool, they don't seem to have any very high standards for her to live up to (even joking that she was a robot and needed to loosen up). I think that whole plot was just to show that it wasn't so much Tiny not living up to her parents' standards, but to her own standards -- she's smart and has her stuff together and Tiny's a former drug dealer. Sad, and kinda crappy of Lola to immediate want to date Tiny after they "broke up" so soon.

I've watched the first four episodes and I'm not sure how I feel about Next Class yet. It feels maybe a little too glossy and candy-coloured. I miss the days when the kids weren't all pretty and looked like real teenagers, bad skin and awkward growth spurts and all.

It's pissing me off that boys keep telling Zoe that Grace must be a lesbian because "girls don't look like that to attract boys." Miles said it in the summer movie and Tristan said it this week. First of all, girls can dress however they want because they like it - not everything girls do is about boys. Second, as a former goth girl, I can assure you that plenty of boys are into it, and not just the goth boys.

For a girl who's so outspoken about sexism, Maya sure forgave Zig awfully quickly for trying to date-rape her. I'm kind of amazed that their subsequent conversations barely touched on that aspect of their situation. Grace was harsher with him about it than Maya was.

Tristan is still the worst.

Edited by Bubbles

A-Plot. So LolaXShower head. What's their ship name...Lhower head? Shola?

This was a cute plot, and definitely something what would've had TeenNick clutching their pearls, especially the last shot. It fits with the character; her obsession over social media as pretty much meant her experiences with real life are small. I'm still rooting for Shiny, but Tiny and Lola are cute here.

The masturbation pamphlet reading is Next Class's "vibrator in the bookbag."

B-Plot. Yeah, this is basically Imogeli's plot back in season eleven, but this time it seems like Esme won't turn into a total ditz. Miles's behavior is so worrying and I want to slap his mother for not seeing it.

C-Plot. I appreciate the writers for making the issue kinda murky on both sides; it is the girls taking away a bathroom for the boys, but it's a bathroom that's barely used and back in my school days, I know that restroom stuff was a big point of contention. I remember seeing those long lines...And it looks like next week they're taking on Gamergate...can't wait.

#Bootycall: Bwahahaha. Oh, Degrassi. I've missed you. So Tristan's hair can only occupy an extreme... icy blonde or inky black? It all looks terrible. And the dye probably isn't good for him.

I think the actress who plays Maya might actually be getting worse at acting. It's difficult to take this "music is my dream" thing when her sound has changed so many times. What is this... the fourth or fifth iteration of Maya the musician? 

Yay! A new Degrassi band! Their music is annoying af but that's never the point, is it? 

I feel like with the move to Netflix they've gone heavy on social media and diversity and awful techno and other things the internet is supposed to care about.

I know you experiment and figure out your identity in high school and college but really... Zoe and Grace? This kind of random pairing makes it feel like the writers are just playing with dolls instead of actual people.

I'm mildly impressed they didn't just have the cotton fall out of her pants. Also, this confirms that Winston is the worst. How do you accidentally spill chemicals on people? When they said he'd broken up with Frankie I so hoped he'd been written off the show. Relatively speaking from what little we've seen, Shay seems to be a decent actress so I hope she doesn't disappear after this story.

Have they always had debates and held elections the first day of the year? I feel like this was more drawn out when Drew and Clare were running but maybe that's wishful thinking.

#NoFilter: Tristan's new black hair just looks so bad with his complexion and eye color.

I missed some episodes before the move to Netflix. Is that when Zoe discovered her sudden attraction to girls?

As most plots do, the cystic fibrosis came out of nowhere but they could go somewhere with it so I'm willing to accept that it's never come up before in the whole time we've known Grace and wanted her to have a storyline. Not even a little cough. The cynical part of me thinks they wanted some TFIOS flavor.

If there's anyone who doesn't deserve to have any tears shed over them, it's Winston.

LOL at Shay and Lola catfishing Frankie though. I love this version of Degrassi.

Jonah is kind of a (not a very nice word). But I was glad he didn't try to sell Frankie on the power of Jesus.

Shove your rebellious speech in an English class, Miles. Not today and certainly not from you. I did like Mr. Slow Clap behind him.

Grace and Zoe's roof confrontation was just as tired and cliched but it played better. Or at least it was more entertaining for me.

Was anyone surprised by that ending? Really, though? So obvious.

#YesMeansYes

Aw, poor Hunter. I don't think he needs to be a "joiner" but I'd be OK with him getting into basketball. No more Winston though. I am not dealing with him being the star center or whatever nonsense they might be cooking up. Also, I liked Hunter's scene before Tristan and Zoe later in the episode. He does inarticulate teenage rebellion so much better than the actor playing Miles. Who is red wig? What happened to Arlene?

Ugh. How could anyone be attracted to Jonah?

YES. Bold entrance, Esme. I hope they don't pair her with Miles or Winston. They don't deserve her. And Miles doesn't deserve a manic pixie dream girl. Even if she is a drug pusher.

Oh my God, dying at Tiny's raid of the condom aisle at the drugstore.

Mama Matlin continues to be the best parent on the show. I'm glad she intervened. This was a clumsy storyline to get into the consent question but I think there was also a big lack of communication issue in their relationship which was mostly on Maya.

#NotOkay

Putting aside the fact that their one song is terrible and irritating, this new band has a problem. As a performer, Maya is stiff and uncharismatic. She has no stage presence. That was a terrible audition. Her antics during the actual performance might have been fun if she'd been able to pull it off. For such a weak actress they give her way too many storylines. As for the Grace vs. Zoe debate at the lockers, I'm Team Zoe. It's a concert. In a bar. You can't throw a tantrum over a guy on his phone.

Tiny and Shay are very cute. I forget if all his issues from last season got resolved but just let me have this one thing, Degrassi! You already torpoed Zig and Zoe. Lola and Tiny will not be interesting at all.

And even Tristan gets an adorable chipmunk. Squirrel? He totally looks like a cartoon character.

Aw, yay for Zoe showing up at Maya's gig. But how are they all out past 10:30?

The more time Esme spends with Miles, the less I like her.

#ButThatsNoneOfMyBusiness

Maya's response to feminist is exactly why I don't like Maya. Among many other reasons.

Oh, I'm so sure Miles is a tortured genius. Has he ever written anything before? And I hate Winston so much that even when he's all "say no to drugs," I want people to do the opposite.

Are Canadian schools really teaching animation and Mandarin now?

#NotAllMen

Do we still shoot people on this show? Can someone please shoot Jonah? He's seriously warring with Winston for who is the worst. He basically forces Frankie into volunteering (in a way that was not dissimilar from a guy not taking no for an answer when asking a girl out) and then gets mad at her for not bringing tennis balls instead of... I don't know, taking some responsibility for setting up his own activities? 'You should abandon your friends to prove something to me!' Ugh, shut up, Jonah.

The gaming club vs. feminist club was actually kind of interesting. Not executed with the most nuance but OK by Degrassi standards. I do wish the other girls in feminist club were allowed to speak because this one can be a little too strident.

#ThisCouldBeUsButYouPlayin

Maya/band still boring. Throw in Jonah and I care even less. I did enjoy the guy's reaction to her "black or white" song. And him bringing the truth to Maya. YES, your songs are average and your voice is below average.

Miles/Esme/drugs still boring. Also, how was that the reaction from the doctor and his mom? You need help. Not, I promise to stop bringing your dad around... at least until you've had therapy to deal with your issues with him.

Zoe/Grace was interesting and compelling but happened too fast in between the other storylines. It does still seem weird that we're just ignoring the ongoing Zig/Zoe flirtation now that the writers decided she is a lesbian. Maybe it would work better if they'd worked up to her coming out. I seriously don't remember any of this happening on screen. I did enjoy the weird Zig/Zoe bonding scene in the woods later on. Then it got weird... I mean, I get where they were coming from but why would you ruin my Zoe/Zig shipping like this? Mean writers.

#TeamFollowBack

Why couldn't it be Grace or Goldie getting this backlash? Why is it Maya? Degrassi writers, why does everything have to revolve around Maya??? And the actress and character are particularly ill-suited for this plotline. And sorry, since when were kids allowed to have their phones on during class? Didn't we just have a school wide phone ban last semester? And... um, what now? Maya is co-president of Feminist Club? She just joined. What about all those other girls?

Maya was sitting with her back to a door and a window. I expected something to happen. Not that. But something.

How dare you, Degrassi. Do not start a Frankie/Jonah romance! Why does Frankie get paired with the most awful boys on Degrassi? I hope Jonah is somehow the one sending hate tweets to Maya so he can GO AWAY.

#SinceWeBeinHonest

Aw, why do they make Hunter embody the worst of the internet? It's undercutting the salient points he made in #NotAllMen. And again, this just makes it weirder that he's going after Maya. Goldie was the one with the real complaints against Gamer Club. Why not attack her? Why do they force all the plotlines to be about Maya? It makes no sense. I did like Hunter the blackmailer. Promising actor, that one.

STOP with Jonah and Frankie. I had hoped that setdown she gave him would be the end of it.

#SorryNotSorry

I liked Arlene better than I like Yael. I wonder if Hunter pushing her was related to the climate of abuse in his house.

Seriously, when did everyone become such a fan of Winston?

Really, Maya? Banishing Grace? That girl clings to victimhood.

My fantasy scenario was that Hunter would try to shoot Maya and Jonah would dive in front of her and sustain and fatal wound and I wouldn't have to deal with that awful character anymore.

No, Maya, Zoe is not the worst. YOU'RE the worst. Shut up. So superior. And Zoe, the look on Maya's face would be the same look because the girl cannot act.

• Love 1

#ButThatsNoneOfMyBusiness

Maya's response to feminist is exactly why I don't like Maya. Among many other reasons.

Oh, I'm so sure Miles is a tortured genius. Has he ever written anything before? And I hate Winston so much that even when he's all "say no to drugs," I want people to do the opposite.

Are Canadian schools really teaching animation and Mandarin now?

Lol I actually learned both in my high school in the late 90s/early 00s.