Type keyword(s) to search

Bring It! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

New episode and I'm getting to the point I don't like the old moms - they act like Jess and Jill on Dance Moms.

I thought the girls did well. Explosive was amazing - but I didn't like the Golden Prancerettes in stand. With all that's going on in the world - I didn't like the all boy team and felt the stand itself was promoting what most of America is fighting against.

The dolls stand against explosive - Diana and the mom's were pointing out Makya's mistake - but in the first stand against the pirouettes - one of them was off too and in the front line that I noticed. Diana was worried about the new girls - the vets were horrid this week.

Although I liked the Dolls in Field Show - I thought explosive was better. As far as stand - I thought the dolls tricks were better but Explosive was more consistent and should have won. Are these rigged like the Dance Mom competition?

And how come 30 new girls this year - did so many leave the dolls last year?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, tessat said:

New episode and I'm getting to the point I don't like the old moms - they act like Jess and Jill on Dance Moms.

This! I like Dana, Selena (for the most part), and Tamala (Is that right?). Dana and Tamala seem the most reasonable compared to the other moms. Was it Mimi who said she did not like the new girls or the new moms? I thought that was rude, especially to the new girls. I have no idea why they were giving Selena so much crap and lumping her in with the new moms, when she has been there for awhile now. Mimi, Tina, and Rittany were like mean girls.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2016 at 4:38 PM, tessat said:

I loved Diana's choreography and thought the concept was great but I agree there wasn't much dancing. That said - I still thought the Diamonds did good and the DD were excellent and was very surprised by the outcome.

No offense - but I didn't like Camryn at all this episode. She visited the college where she received a free scholarship but will have to think about it?? Hello - count your blessings as many of the other girls would love a free ride. Maybe she shouldn't have bothered entering that day. I realize that they may not have a major she's interested in - but they should have looked into what the college had to offer before participating.

Did they say that the scholarship was a free ride? As a former high school cheer and dance coach, it's been my experience that very few offer all expenses paid type of scholarships for cheer or dance. It's usually books and a percentage off the cost of tuition. The girls still have to pay for food, housing and uniforms etc. 

5 hours ago, missbonnie said:

Did they say that the scholarship was a free ride? As a former high school cheer and dance coach, it's been my experience that very few offer all expenses paid type of scholarships for cheer or dance. It's usually books and a percentage off the cost of tuition. The girls still have to pay for food, housing and uniforms etc. 

I just happened to rewatch that episode over the weekend - it was a full scholarship to the school.

2 hours ago, tessat said:

I just happened to rewatch that episode over the weekend - it was a full scholarship to the school.

Full scholarship usually only covers room and board, as missbonnie said. Even superstar athletes receiving lavish scholarships don't get money for living expenses such as traveling home for vacations, clothing (outside of their uniforms), and food--unless it's dorm food or meals while they're away for games. Even people on full scholarship usually have work-study jobs to cover their daily expenses. 

On 9/10/2016 at 9:46 PM, Misslindsey said:

This! I like Dana, Selena (for the most part), and Tamala (Is that right?). Dana and Tamala seem the most reasonable compared to the other moms. Was it Mimi who said she did not like the new girls or the new moms? I thought that was rude, especially to the new girls. I have no idea why they were giving Selena so much crap and lumping her in with the new moms, when she has been there for awhile now. Mimi, Tina, and Rittany were like mean girls.

I know, right? I think the producers created this rift to ramp up the drama, but it annoys me. The "old" moms kept saying how worried they were about the new girls. Even Camryn chimed in with that concern. But the veterans are not flawless dancers, as we've seen from some of their recent competitions. 

And then when Rittany said, "we talk about everybody's daughter..." No they do not. None of them criticize Camryn or Chyrstianna. And as much as I like Chrystianna, there have been multiple occasions where she has bad performances that cost the Dancing Dolls the competition. No one ever said anything critical about Kayla (when she was a dancer), and no one says anything about Tanesha and her panic attacks. Not that the moms should sit around criticizing the Dolls, but it seems the only ones they talk badly about are Faith and Selena's daughters (Star, Sky, and in the past, Sunjai). 

On 9/10/2016 at 10:08 AM, tessat said:

The dolls stand against explosive - Diana and the mom's were pointing out Makya's mistake - but in the first stand against the pirouettes - one of them was off too and in the front line that I noticed. Diana was worried about the new girls - the vets were horrid this week.

I think Makayla had too much weave on her head. It might've affected her balance and her ability to remember choreography. JK

• Love 2

Top - I know exactly what full scholarships cover having had 2 sons already through college. Except for travel back and forth - you have clothing and meal expenses anyway. The bulk of college expenses is covered by a full scholarship. Kayla really wanted that scholarship and I wish she would have gotten it.

On 9/13/2016 at 7:46 AM, tessat said:

Top - I know exactly what full scholarships cover having had 2 sons already through college. Except for travel back and forth - you have clothing and meal expenses anyway. The bulk of college expenses is covered by a full scholarship. Kayla really wanted that scholarship and I wish she would have gotten it.

How far away is DaSales? Didn't Kayla get a partial scholarship? I know she said she wanted to go to college, but she also wants to continue being part of the show.  I wonder if she's taking in college now. Jackson State is there, and there are a number of smaller colleges and universities in Jackson. 

--I suppose I'm simply being a mother hen when it comes to Kayla. I think she's smart, nice, a great dancer, and an even better person. And the longer a person delays college, the harder it is to return. Family, jobs, children, escalating debt, etc. all become obstacles. It's not impossible for a working adult to go to college. Just more difficult than it is for a person who recently graduated high school and has little debt or responsibility for other people. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I believe Kayla has referenced going to class on Twitter. There was also an instagram photo of Kayla in scrubs from a couple of weeks ago that said she had to wear scrubs every Wednesday, so I am assuming that was school related. 

See, that's how old I am. I'm not on Instagram, and I didn't know any of the girls had Twitter accounts. Are any of the other Dancing Dolls active on social media?

I do not follow any of them on Instagram or Twitter, but sometimes go read their pages for fun. Kayla posts pretty regularly on Twitter. Her Twitter is linked to instagram, so you could click on the links for her pictures there. Dianna has a Twitter account. I believe most of the moms have Twitter accounts as well. Sunjai, Camryn, and some of the none featured dancing dolls have Twitter/instagram. Faith and Dana have instagram, not sure about Twitter.

• Love 1
On 9/10/2016 at 10:08 AM, tessat said:

Are these rigged like the Dance Mom competition?

I don't think so, or at least if they are they make a conscious effort to try and spread the wealth around some, so that the Dolls don't win every competition, every time. Remember, they showed two SummerSlam competitions and lost both before they won last summer. And while they win most of the overalls, they have lost a number of the head to head competitions or had a bunch of comps where they win stands but lose creative or field show, etc.

One thing I liked about this show was that at the end of the first season, they did a show where they actually showed all footage from the perspective of the opposing teams with TH's from the other coaches and captains, and with little or no DD commentary. That is really unique in this type of competition show and to me showed a willingness to bring along others in the sport rather than just saying its the Dancing Dolls and all the teams they beat all the time. 

Edited by Rlb8031
  • Love 2

Lil Niko episode - 1st where does a preacher get the money to have these lavish sweet 16 parties and feature Rap stars?

Diana kicked the twins out but in 3 scenes - there is also another girl sitting on the sidelines - when Diana comes back in to kick the twins out - the 3 are huddled together talking. Why was she allowed to stay - see tis is getting so scripted too.

Rittany - if you're invited to the party - go and hang with the other moms - you won't have to be hanging with 16 yr olds - they wouldn't want you anyway. Tina - you're just as bad - these moms all supported Kayla - food and liquor are the only thing in life you're concerned with - not making a child feel special - thumbs down!

Mimi - you can't believe that Camryn was cut in the 1st round - priceless!

Glad the dolls won - but the competition didn't seem all that competitive - I thought the dolls would have walked over all of them.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, tessat said:

Lil Niko episode - 1st where does a preacher get the money to have these lavish sweet 16 parties and feature Rap stars?

Diana kicked the twins out but in 3 scenes - there is also another girl sitting on the sidelines - when Diana comes back in to kick the twins out - the 3 are huddled together talking. Why was she allowed to stay - see tis is getting so scripted too.

Rittany - if you're invited to the party - go and hang with the other moms - you won't have to be hanging with 16 yr olds - they wouldn't want you anyway. Tina - you're just as bad - these moms all supported Kayla - food and liquor are the only thing in life you're concerned with - not making a child feel special - thumbs down!

Mimi - you can't believe that Camryn was cut in the 1st round - priceless!

Glad the dolls won - but the competition didn't seem all that competitive - I thought the dolls would have walked over all of them.

--I'd have to see the size of Faith's dad's church. Some larger churches do well in terms of tithes and offerings. Did the party really occur the night before the competition? If so, that was a bad night for a Sweet 16 party. Dana couldn't make it the evening after the competition, since the competition was in Jackson? 

--Why do the parents and Dianna insist on making Selena the villain? She talks about her children no more than Mimi does, Rittany does, or Dana does. And as much as Tina used to. I think there's personal history between Dianna and Selena that we don't know about. Even in the first season, when Selena was presented was one of the "new moms," her girls had already been going to Dollhouse for a while. And she and Dianna didn't get along then. Of course, this is when the moms were standing outside and had to watch practice through the window. And yes, Selena did try to walk inside once--along with some of the other mothers. And Dianna showed extreme hostility toward Selena even then. 

--Yes, I'm disappointed that more of the DD and DD parents weren't at the party. I'm assuming all or most of them were invited, and only Selena's girls showed up? That's a slap in the face to Dana and Faith, if you ask me. Even if the party were the night before the competition, they could've stopped by for a few minutes just to say hello and wish Faith a happy birthday. 

--I honestly was glad Camryn got eliminated, just to shut up Mimi for a few minutes. I wish we could've seen more of the choreography competition. Maybe someone will post the footage online someplace. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, topanga said:

--I honestly was glad Camryn got eliminated, just to shut up Mimi for a few minutes. I wish we could've seen more of the choreography competition. Maybe someone will post the footage online someplace. 

This. It was nice to see Camryn not come out on top for once just for Mimi to be up in arms about it. Though I would think Camryn would admit that hip-hop is not her speciality. Does anyone know who were the remaining Dolls in the final round of the choreographer's challenge? I think I missed it if they did mention it.

I though that Faith's party might have been paid for by Lifetime, but I have no idea. Does Dana work?

I thought it was fine for Selena to bring the twins to the stand battle practice. Though Star and Sky should have at least looked like they were paying attention or try to learn the stands, even if it is off to the side. Though, like it was mentioned there were other girls sitting on the floor during the stand practice.

This season is really making me dislike Tina, Rittany, and Mimi. I am sick of them rolling their eyes or making faces when one of the other moms is speaking about their kid. It is okay for them to go on about their kids, but not so much the "new" mothers, even if those mothers are not even that new.

• Love 3

It's reminding me of Dance Moms - but this isn't called Majorette Moms it's Bring It - so I'd be just as happy watching practice and getting more background info on each of the girls so they 're a little more identifiable while watching them.

I've known a few pastors and preachers - the house is usually provided for by the parish - but none of the ones I knew had much money. They received invitations to dinner and home cooked dinners from the parish. What extra money they did have - they usually used it to try to help parishioners in need out. Not saying Faith's dad is not like that but Dana is always dressed to the 9's and has class - maybe she comes from money or works as aren't she and Faith's dad divorced? Selena's another one who always looks good but again a divorced household so both these women must have pretty good jobs.

Now I'm not downing Mimi, Tina and Ritanny as we don't have money and I'm a jeans, sweatshirt and sneaker girl myself - but I try to treat others as I want to be treated. If I can't say something nice - I don't say it.

Sky and Star still don't look that enthusiastic about dance - but I thought they did good in the Choreographer's Challenge. Was that little Taylor there? She's the only one I recognized and thought it was funny she was there from the babies.

I understand some of where Diana's coming from - but the girls not on battle squad won't learn anything by not watching and then they can go home and practice themselves. That's what Sunjai did and she finally made it on the squad.

• Love 1

If I had to guess some or all of the cost of the Sweet 16 was picked up by production. The Lil' Nico appearance was clearly a Lifetime cross-over, so it wouldn't surprise me if production footed 25-50% of the cost. 

As for the source of income, remember that Faith has been touring all summer. The tour money is immediate and they were selling out big venues all summer. Depending on what the law is in Mississippi, that money could go directly to the girls. Even if they are required by the state to create a trust for this money (which is standard in the entertainment heavy states of NY and CA), they can get access to money for reasonable living expenses, and a Sweet 16 would probably be an acceptable expense. 

• Love 2

Did anyone see the "Bring It" commercial featuring home movies with some of the Dancing Dolls? The only ones I could make out were Sunjai, Star, Sky, and Camryn. I'm not sure if there were others featured. The girls were adorable, and they look almost exactly the same. Sunjai had braces at one point, correct? Because she used to have a gap between her front teeth like Star and Sky (and their dad), but she no longer does. 

On 9/17/2016 at 1:41 PM, tessat said:

I understand some of where Diana's coming from - but the girls not on battle squad won't learn anything by not watching and then they can go home and practice themselves. That's what Sunjai did and she finally made it on the squad.

But Dianna's anger at Selena seemed out of proportion to me. As others have pointed out, there was at least one other girl sitting and watching, so what Selena did wasn't unheard of. I do think she's trying to encourage Star and Sky to want dance as much as see does, but I'm not sure they're on board. Wasn't Sunjai also ambivalent when she kept being cut from battle squad? Selena kept encouraging her to try harder, and eventually she did. 

• Love 2

What the freak did I just watch? I watch the show to see the girls dance and Diana - who cares what others say to you - your temper is horrendous - take it as a compliment that others talk trash about you - they're envious. To cost the girls the chance at winning stand was the stupidest thing you have done especially since you rode them all week.

On a different note - glad to see Star make it into the final round of Choreographer's Choice - uh - where's Cameron - Mimi? Loved the at we actually see Kayla doing something except standing around with her arms across her chest.

Was that Tina that said she was glad she doesn't have to see the other moms again? Guess what - you can leave anytime as you're not an integral part of the show.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, tessat said:

Was that Tina that said she was glad she doesn't have to see the other moms again? Guess what - you can leave anytime as you're not an integral part of the show.

Was it Tina or Rittany? I cannot remember at this moment, but I thought it was Rittany.

Last nights episode was a mess. I generally like Dianna and usually can see the method behind her maddness, but the whole situation with Quincy was ridiculous. Those girls practiced hard during the week and to not even get a chance to dance or really defend their previous win was horrible. Dianna needs to let the comments go and not get so worked up about them, especially when the ones who seem to get screwed are the girls.

I did like seeing Star in choreographer challenge. I really enjoy these choreographer challenges that they seem to be doing. I thought both Star and Sky looked good when they had solos during the Kayla/Dianna team battle in one of the first episodes of this season (or part of this season). I do think they enjoy dancing, but just may have more low key, passive personalities when it comes to it. Also, does anyone know a way to tell Star and Sky apart? I usually cannot unless they have their names on the screen. 

I did like everyone's reaction to the team that had a panda dancing in their creative dance. I liked all the wtf reactions.

Did another team do a black lives matter dance? I missed what team it was. When did the dolls do theirs, a couple of weeks ago?

I have to admit I laughed at Dianna's captain comment to Camyrn. It was kind of a crappy thing to say, but Mimi acts like Camryn is a special snowflake or something. Rittany thought it was directed at Christiana, but did not get nearly as worked up as Mimi. 

• Love 3

I really like the choreographer's challenge. I wonder if those are part of more competitions, but they've only shown them this last couple of shows. (I can understand not showing them when the Miami team was being brought in, because those kids would have probably mopped up the floor on such a challenge, since they were dance trained, not majorette trained). It seems a good way to both recognize individual effort and skill/training differences, and good preparation for future auditions.  I was also glad to see Star recognized. 

• Love 2
On 9/25/2016 at 10:21 AM, dmmetler said:

I really like the choreographer's challenge. I wonder if those are part of more competitions, but they've only shown them this last couple of shows. (I can understand not showing them when the Miami team was being brought in, because those kids would have probably mopped up the floor on such a challenge, since they were dance trained, not majorette trained). It seems a good way to both recognize individual effort and skill/training differences, and good preparation for future auditions.  I was also glad to see Star recognized. 

I think Star did a great job.

What happened to the Battle Royale? Has the Summer Slam replaced it, or do the Dolls not compete in the Battle Royale anymore? 

1 hour ago, topanga said:

What happened to the Battle Royale? Has the Summer Slam replaced it, or do the Dolls not compete in the Battle Royale anymore? 

I might be wrong but I think Summer Slam is for the summer competition season where as Battle Royale might be more of the school year competition season. I assumed that, but like I said I could be very wrong.

35 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I might be wrong but I think Summer Slam is for the summer competition season where as Battle Royale might be more of the school year competition season. I assumed that, but like I said I could be very wrong.

But the Dolls haven't talked about it in 2 seasons. Do they still participate?

Wasn't it Sky who made it to the battle squad? I could be confusing them though. Whichever twin it was did look so much more alive than past seasons. She also, looked like she was having fun as well. 

The new uncle was a bit much, but I do appreciate the show highlighting other girls. The one that made battle squad cuts (Angela?) was entertaining to watch.

I hope to see more of Crystianna and Faith because they are my favorites, but I really do not dislike any of the girls. As for their mother's/uncle/aunt I was glad Mimi was in the background more this episode. I thought Tina looked good in her talking head where she has a bob. 

Neva.....sigh....She is just too much.

It was nice to see the other teams and coaches supporting the girl who was having hair issues. She was a cute girl. The team she was on was fun to watch as well.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1

You're  right, I cant keep them straight, but she was far morenough animated than previous seasons. I also liked the way Dianna handled he little girl and her wig - it was absolutely the best approach. I was also glad to see wigs as I've been noticing some of the girls edges appear to be suffering as a result of all the weaves  

• Love 1

I am just catching up, so this is a delayed response, but regarding the sweet 16 party, someone mentioned having the party after the competition... I did dance competitions throughout childhood/high school, and little known fact unless you have been there,these things don't end until late, sometimes as late as 2-3 am.  The last dance routines are usually somewhere around 9 pm, and then awards have to sorted out, there is usually a solo finalist competition, by the time all that happens then everyone is gathered and awards start and can last for-ev-er... coupled with these being recorded for tv I'm sure that adds time too... but competitions are a REALLY long day.

• Love 1

I'm glad that Mimi was in the background.

Wonder how they would dress and apply their make-up if it weren't for the cameras.  Mimi's was way-way way too much!

Where have I seen the "new" uncle before?  He is very familiar.

Can we please have NO MORE Neva?  So sick of her and her crap.

Was so happy to see Star make it.  She really did look like she wants to dance this season.

Excited for the new season.

• Love 1

The new season is fun so far. The moms seem slightly less dramatic. I like the new dad (uncle). He is dramatic, but it's more in a playful, comedic way. And his twin nieces are hilarious, too. I love that he said the one named Angel is evil. 

I finished the second episode where they lost the Creative category but won the Captain's challenge. I'm at the beginning of the next episode, and Dianna, the girls, and the parents kept saying, "We lost!" "We lost." So if the Dancing Dolls don't get 1st place in every category, they consider the entire competition a defeat??  That sounds like pageant mom behavior. 

• Love 1

I loved the NYC episode. The boy from Strut & Stride was really good, and it was nice to see the girls challenged to work with different choreographers. I love Broadway Dance and it was great that one girl got to spend the summer there. I wonder if production picked up living expenses?

• Love 4

I too like the NYC episode. it was fresh and not seeing the same ole' cast of competitors and judges. I've watched just about every episode of this series and still can't figure out what is the criteria to judge the stand battles. They really should have a chorographer's challenge to every battle.

What I really liked best about this episode was exposing the girls to all types of dance and getting them out of their comfort zone. They are going to age out of the "dollhouse" soon  and if they plan to pursue dance in college and/or professionally, they need to be doing more than just majorette hip-hop. Look at Kayla and Sunjay - I think life after high school caught them by surprise. I like the little clips on how Sunjay was looking for a summer job, but how's life as a dance major ?

And I would think the death-dropping and low-to-the-floor bucking would start to be extra wear on the body as they age into their 20s.

I like that they brought in a formally trained dance instructor, and that the girls are auditioning for intensives. If they want a career in dance, even in commercial dance that's what is needed.

And Tina, Kayla, who is one year past high school doesn't have the skills of a classically trained professional yet. Kayla is good at majorette, but that doesn't mean she can teach lyrical or contemporary. 

• Love 2

A couple of weeks ago Cameryn got an SUV for her BD gift. Sunjay also received one for what graduation.  I'm glad that they are at least aloowing some of the other girls to be featured in the talking heads so hopefully their stint here is more financially productive for them as they win as a team.

I miss seeing the babydolls and they've certainly thinned the pack of dolls when compared to last year - that studio and floor used to be filled. I watched some of the earlier episodes where there were only a few dolls on the team - so they had picked up enrollment. I would like to see more of the Birmingham team on the show.

Tina complaining about Tory was a joke - Kayla is so limited and he at least is expanding the world of dance for them.

I'm wondering if Christiana is still injured. She hardly ever gets showcased anymore, and she was always part of Camryn/Makayla/Makiya group. She didn't get picked as one of the top five dancers this week, nor has she had any breakout single performances at all this season. Could she have damaged something serious when she was injured over the summer?

On 2/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, tessat said:

Tina complaining about Tory was a joke - Kayla is so limited and he at least is expanding the world of dance for them.

I liked Torrey as a teacher. He taught the girls some techniques they'd never seen before, and he focused on the basics of dance--like pointing their toes! I had to laugh when the DDPs complained about him calmly saying things like, "You're not using the things I taught you." Or "You were very sloppy. Let's do it again." They seemed so appalled, when Dianna (whom I really like as a coach and teacher) is constantly yelling and cursing at the girls. Sometimes right after they pray. 

Torrey turned to a bit of an a-hole at the competition, but I think that was all for the cameras and the drama. 

I liked the fishbowl competition. It added something different to the usual creative and stand battles. 

On 2/13/2017 at 5:51 PM, Rlb8031 said:

I'm wondering if Christiana is still injured. She hardly ever gets showcased anymore, and she was always part of Camryn/Makayla/Makiya group. She didn't get picked as one of the top five dancers this week, nor has she had any breakout single performances at all this season. Could she have damaged something serious when she was injured over the summer?

Did she get injured over the summer, too? I remember she was battling a knee injury last season. 

• Love 1

actually I hope miss D keeps brining in guest teachers. The show and the girls need to keep growing.

While I admire her ambition, Kayla is not ready to open and own her own studio. First , of all, she would be in direct competition with the dollhouse. Jackson is only so big, so she most likely would be relying on dancers that didn't make the cut at dollhouse auditions, or those following "her" b/c of her name - which is going to diminish each competition season. It was nice of miss d to give her a lesson on paying bills when you are a small business owner. And  Kayla is too specialized in one type of dance. She would need to budget to bring in guest teachers - almost on a routine basis. I do think she will get there - just need time. I do wish she would have explored dancing in college and/or maybe going out for auditions to gain experience - if only to train others.

I too miss the babies. The baby they featured during the 1-2 season (I forgot her name), and is in some of the older promos should be old enough to be with the big girls.

I like Camryn but I don't like the idea of several-season captains, unless they audition and earn the spot. I think that is one reason the job of caption, tends to be a JR/SR, so their reign isn't too long.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, tessat said:

I miss seeing the babydolls and they've certainly thinned the pack of dolls when compared to last year - that studio and floor used to be filled. I watched some of the earlier episodes where there were only a few dolls on the team - so they had picked up enrollment. I would like to see more of the Birmingham team on the show.

Maybe they've just decided not to use the baby dolls in shows anymore, and they decided they needed to limit the number of dolls in shows. Remember last year, when the moms kept complaining about the new girls? Although Angela and Angel are relatively new this year. I don't know if they were around last season--I'll go back and watch old episodes. 

Listening to Dianna talk to Kayla about what it takes to run a dance studio makes me wonder about her beginnings. Did she have money saved up to start the Dancing Dolls? Did her husband help her with start-up costs? I wonder how Dianna figured out what to do when it comes to the business end of being a dance coach. She never talks about having any mentors. 

I enjoyed the first season of the show but I had to stop watching because everyone on it is so damn affected. All of the mothers are trying too hard to be some kind of breakout personality. It's tiresome watching them jockeying for position. It's a lot of bad acting and bad hair and the girls are starting to do it too.

Can someone explain to me why Kayla's mom (aunt?) is still on this show, sitting with the parents? Kayla is a coach now, isn't she? She's a little old to have mommy sitting there commenting about everything that's going on.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2017 at 5:55 PM, sleepyjean said:

I enjoyed the first season of the show but I had to stop watching because everyone on it is so damn affected. All of the mothers are trying too hard to be some kind of breakout personality. It's tiresome watching them jockeying for position. It's a lot of bad acting and bad hair and the girls are starting to do it too.

Can someone explain to me why Kayla's mom (aunt?) is still on this show, sitting with the parents? Kayla is a coach now, isn't she? She's a little old to have mommy sitting there commenting about everything that's going on.

That's reality TV for you.

Tina (Kayla's mom) apparently was very popular among viewers. So the producers keep finding reasons for her to stick around. 

I hope Faith is happy. Yes, Bring It is giving her exposure and experience, but she's also missing big events in her childhood, like being on the Homecoming Court at school. And I do think she and Daija dance well together, but I hope Torrey isn't consistently choosing them for things because they're two of the lighter-skinned dancers on the team. I know it's 2017, but colorism remains a big issue in the black community. 

I'm guessing most of the girls simply don't have enough classical training to be able to do what Torrey wants. Both of them trained elsewhere and came in later, and it shows. 

In a complete aside, I do wonder who picks the names for these teams. This past weekend, we passed both "Dancing Dolls" and "Purple Diamond"-"gentleman's clubs" just off the interstate. In the same region of the country as most of these teams! 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, topanga said:

Listening to Dianna talk to Kayla about what it takes to run a dance studio makes me wonder about her beginnings. Did she have money saved up to start the Dancing Dolls? Did her husband help her with start-up costs? I wonder how Dianna figured out what to do when it comes to the business end of being a dance coach. She never talks about having any mentors. 

I think she learned from her personal experience and one of her previous jobs : "She is a former employee of the City of Jackson where she worked as a Recreation Aide and the Dance Instructor for the entire North side of Jackson" (link)

• Love 1

First off - is Diana pregnant as she appeared to be when she was wearing the black outfit at the Birmingham Studio but it may have just been the angle they filmed her in.

I actually like Tory - he was right in that the girls don't pay enough attention  - they do the same to Diana and she has to reign them in - Kayla - being one of them had a much worse problem. Where Miss D can control the choreography as well as the line formation - Kayla can't and Tory needed to step in so everything looked uniform.

Both routines were really good and I loved Kayla's choreography but wish the girls would keep their tongues in their mouths - a couple looked like ladies of the evening looking for a pick up with the faces and lolling tongues. For only a year of training - the Birmingham group looks great and will continue to get better - hats off to the teachers Diana hired for that site.

We pretty much knew that Jackson was going to take everything but Diana has a heck of a team in Birmingham and Jackson better watch out!

Big thanks for the link to Miss Diana's bio - it's quite extensive and impressive. She's done a lot of good for so many young girls!

• Love 2
On 2/25/2017 at 8:33 AM, tessat said:

Big thanks for the link to Miss Diana's bio - it's quite extensive and impressive. She's done a lot of good for so many young girls!

Yes, thanks, sATL. I remember the very first episode of the show, when Dianna said she wanted to have a positive influence on young girls, something she never had growing up. And she was very open about the bad choices she's made in life, including making adult movies. That scene from the first episode convinced me that she truly cares about her dancers, even if she does yell and curse a lot. 

On 2/25/2017 at 8:33 AM, tessat said:

First off - is Diana pregnant as she appeared to be when she was wearing the black outfit at the Birmingham Studio but it may have just been the angle they filmed her in.

I actually like Tory - he was right in that the girls don't pay enough attention  - they do the same to Diana and she has to reign them in - Kayla - being one of them had a much worse problem. Where Miss D can control the choreography as well as the line formation - Kayla can't and Tory needed to step in so everything looked uniform.

Both routines were really good and I loved Kayla's choreography but wish the girls would keep their tongues in their mouths - a couple looked like ladies of the evening looking for a pick up with the faces and lolling tongues. For only a year of training - the Birmingham group looks great and will continue to get better - hats off to the teachers Diana hired for that site.

I didn't notice Dianna's belly--I'll go back and watch. Dianna eats a lot of junk food, so maybe it's starting to show on her petite frame. 

I like Tory (Torrey?) as a coach, but he can be rude and abrasive. There's a way to talk to a fellow coach that's different from the way you talk to the children you're coaching. I don't think he gives Kayla the respect she deserves. 

But I agree that Kayla has a hard time corralling the girls to listen and follow directions. She has to learn to distance herself from them--she's not their teammate anymore. I did crack up when Torrey told her the kids couldn't hear her. I agree. Her coaching voice has got to be louder and more forceful. Maybe she can start using a bullhorn. Or a mike. 

And the tongue thing! Yuck.  I was just telling my kids how gross that looks. Especially when teenage girls do it. On the "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders" show, for example, the coaches will rip the dancers a new one if any of the grown women dancers stick out their tongues or wink while performing. It looks unprofessional and tacky.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I think that having the B squad do a stand battle in competition was a good choice. If you never get to perform and never get to compete, it's hard to improve. And it doesn't hurt the A squad to applaud and cheer their teammates, either. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I think that having the B squad do a stand battle in competition was a good choice. If you never get to perform and never get to compete, it's hard to improve. And it doesn't hurt the A squad to applaud and cheer their teammates, either. 

I agree. I liked seeing some of the B squad girls perform as well. It was nice to see different girls do stands from the B squad than the usual A squad girls, especially Star and Sky. I feel like maybe in the last season or so I am seeing more spark in them, dance-wise at least. Then again, maybe they are just used to being featured more on camera. I did look at the time during the stand battle and saw that the show was almost over so I figured the B Squad girls would lose. 

I thought the mirror challenge was fun to watch too. I think Faith is probably my favorite dancer on the Dolls, but I really do not dislike any of the girls on the team.

I also enjoyed the change in format. The boy that danced for Xplosive--he most definitely must be a ringer. I've never seen in before on the team. He seems older than the other dancers, and he does not buck dance. Yes, he was a phenomenal ballet dancer and gymnast, but he didn't do anything resembling majorette dancing. 

And I liked seeing the B squad dance. As you said, you'll only become a better performing after performing. Did anyone see Daija this week? I'm just used to seeing her featured more. And what's up with poor Chrystianna? Not only is she not featured much as a dancer, she rarely even does talking head interviews. 

Why was Denicia's (?) mom so upset? Did she think Dianna had set the girls up to fail? If that's the case, I wish Dianna or one of the other moms could have sat her down and tried to talk to her calmly. Maybe that happened afterwards, off camera, and we only had a chance to see the angry drama. 

• Love 1