Type keyword(s) to search

Bring It! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wouldn't you expect your kid who just moved up from the baby team to have a bit of trouble keeping up, and maybe, just maybe, not always making the performance squad her first season? Especially when the performance squad has seniors in high school and ypur kid is what, 10, maybe 11? (Since they said BDD was 2nd-4th grade)?

• Love 1

I think most people would, but the new stage mom must have not gotten the memo. Also, how she was claiming that Diana was not doing her job when Diana said that her daughter did not know all the stands yet. 

I thought it was interesting that Selina related to the new performance squad mom. I always thought that Selina was living through Sanjay, especially in the early episodes. Selina has not been as bad in towards the end of the season. This new stage mom felt similar to early Selina to me.

The coach of the Superstars(z?) had such an ego. I wonder if she encouraged her girls to get the same haircut. A lot of them had an a-line bob, not all, but a good amount of them did.

I finally got last night's episode watched, and boy howdy is that coach from the Divas of Olive Branch a piece of work. You can not possibly expect to bring up Dianna's past on television and then not think that all hell is going to rain down on your ass. Stupid much? Also, her team was trash talking during the Dolls last stand. If one of my dance teams had ever pulled that shit, I would have yanked them from the competition myself. I have to be honest though and say that Dianna's stunt where she mimed dropping her pants was disappointing.

• Love 3

Neva can miss me with the pearl-clutching.  I take floor/chair classes at the local pole dancing fitness place and let me assure y'all - those moves are exactly the same ones we're taught in class.  I guaran-damn-tee you that Neva copied that routine from one of those places.  She even had the chairs out there on the floor to prove it.  She couldn't conceive of those dance moves without the chair because that's how she learned them.  Dianna didn't "drag her girls into that world" - she did.  If you're teaching teenaged girls moves you learned in a class that's about not just fitness but SEX, then be prepared for someone to say that those moves are inappropriate for children.

ALSO.  I need folks to stop with the overuse of the word "Diva".  AND "apostrophe s" is NOT a way to denote plural.  My God.

• Love 2

OK, I really don't like the preview for next ep. The whole dance vs cheer/going to another team thing is a Dance Moms thing, and I have trouble believing Dianna, who has been shown as being fairly reasonable and understanding about her girls would really make it a hill to die on, as opposed to letting the kid try to make it work and learn that you can't do it all. I'll still watch, but I liked this show because the drama seemed to truly come naturally, not be manufactured. And this season just feels like it's diverging from that theme.

• Love 1

The coach of the Superstars(z?) had such an ego. I wonder if she encouraged her girls to get the same haircut. A lot of them had an a-line bob, not all, but a good amount of them did.

Was that the Miami Coach, straight from 1988 with that hair LOL? I noticed most of them had the A line bob, too. It looked pretty good. That coach is a character, but as someone coming from a traditional dance background (ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical vs majorette), the Miami girls had the overall best traditional technique of any team they've shown. It is really obvious those girls have a lot of good ballet and jazz training. I wonder if they're more of a Dance Moms type school that also does majorette style, especially when opportunities like being on this show arise. 

I finally got last night's episode watched, and boy howdy is that coach from the Divas of Olive Branch a piece of work. You can not possibly expect to bring up Dianna's past on television and then not think that all hell is going to rain down on your ass. Stupid much? Also, her team was trash talking during the Dolls last stand. If one of my dance teams had ever pulled that shit, I would have yanked them from the competition myself. I have to be honest though and say that Dianna's stunt where she mimed dropping her pants was disappointing.

Olive Branch Woman is just vulgar - nasty moves, unsportsmanlike behavior, etc. Dianna miming a moon was pretty tame and hilarious. Olive Branch Woman was way out of line.

• Love 3

I'm guessing that's exactly what the Miami school is. There's a Memphis school that I'd kind of like to see on Bring It!, except that I don't know if they do competitions at all-they teach the RAD syllabus, but also have classes in African Dance, Hip-hop, etc.

Thank GOD they finally brought up the elephant in the room (no pun intended) with Kayla's between season weight gain. Even as a fluffy chick who has struggled with weight since 2nd grade...it was distrurbing me.  

Bless Diana for not sweeping it under the rug...but not dealing with it in a manner that will cause Kayla to develop a complex. As this is her last season with DD, if Kayla has any pause in physical activity, shes gonna blowuptuate. And especially entering the college years, that's hard to rebound from.

Wishing her the best!

• Love 2

MichelEliz -I agree. I think that Diana handled it well, and I also think that Kayla took it in the spirit in which it was given. So, kudos to both parties on that. Like Diana said, she didn't care so much about the weight gain as long as Kayla had the stamina to continue dancing through practice and/or a competition.

• Love 2

What is Zatia's mother's name? I forgot it, but she really knows how to put the pressure on Zatia. She acts like stage mom. I like how the parents may disagree with each other, but are supportive of all the girls and the team, but it seems like she is only there for Zatia. I feel like Sunjai and Zatia have a lot in common, because last season I thought Selena was trying to live through Sunjai, until Sunjai told her mom to stop.

I thought Dianna did the right thing pulling Camryn's solo, since it look like she was having a hard time with it and not remembering parts. I did not understand Camryn's mother ( Mimi, is it?) getting irritated with Dianna about pulling it. Maybe if Camryn had more time she would have the solo down. 

What is Zatia's mother's name? I forgot it, but she really knows how to put the pressure on Zatia. She acts like stage mom. I like how the parents may disagree with each other, but are supportive of all the girls and the team, but it seems like she is only there for Zatia. I feel like Sunjai and Zatia have a lot in common, because last season I thought Selena was trying to live through Sunjai, until Sunjai told her mom to stop.

Her name is Tawantza. She and Selena seem to have taken the same course in Stage Parenting 101.
  • Love 1

Those pointe shoes this week.  my poor eyes. . . . 

I am extremely impressed with that Miami team. Those girls have amazing technique and a huge range of styles. They're good at everything from majorette tricks to traditional jazz/lyrical to African. If they go at it again with the DD, I expect some Prima Ballerinas out there with excellent ballet technique.

The Dancing Dolls in those pointe shoes.....OMG.....I hope if they do that again, they get a real pointe instructor to help them or somebody is going to break an ankle or achilles tendon. Diana's girls are entertaining and good kids, but the one think I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around is when they bring more traditional dance elements into the majorette style, but then execute them so poorly (sickled feet, high kicks/battements, etc with bent knees and feet, tumbling passes that are crooked, hopping around on oversplits, frogged back handsprings, fouttes hopping all over the floor instead of staying in one spot). If they're going to use those elements, they need better instruction.

• Love 2

Several of the teams they compete against are much better technically than they are.  You hear the coaches talking about how they're clean and you can see it.  The judges for this type of competition seem to be random people who don't know a thing about dance.

None of those girls have the training to put on pointe shoes.  It's not safe.  If they're going to do that then the kids should be taking three high quality ballet classes a week and we know that's not happening.  You can dabble in many forms of dance and be fine, you can't do that with pointe shoes. 

• Love 1

One other thing that bugged me-I'd assumed the stand battle was the captains picking which dance to do next based on what the other team picked, from a set of several (which was one reason why it was so hard to make stands compared to the other team dances). But you can't just wish pointe shoes on your feet, so they not only had to know that was coming, but have time to get them on.

• Love 1

Oh Neva, you are so over the top. I found it hilarious that she got mad at Dianna performing with the girls when she did the same thing in the solos. She should team up with the Superstars (Superstarz?) coach. They both have huge egos.

I really enjoy Crystianna and her soft spoken manner. I forgot how young she is until it was mentioned. I thought she did a good job with her solo.

I liked Tamia too. I prefer Tamia over Camryn. Probably because I see too many of Camryn's TH's and she rubs me the wrong way for some reason. She still seems like a good kid though.

• Love 2

I couldn't belive Neva complaining about Diana. Did she forget that she and her male assistant both came out on the floor and danced during what was supposed to be a solo performance? Her justification was that nothing in the rules said she couldn't do that. She's just mad because not only did Diana take a book out of her page, she did it better and her team won. Neva, bitter loser, who has her team turn their backs on the other team in an example of non-sportsmanlike conduct at its heights, is not a look that becomes you or your girls. Between the walk out of last time and this, you are really showing them how to be nasty and low class, and that's a shame.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2

I couldn't belive Neva complaining about Diana. Did she forget that she and her male assistant both came out on the floor and danced during what was supposed to be a solo performance? Her justification was that nothing in the rules said she couldn't do that. She's just mad because not only did Diana take a book out of her page, she did it better and her team won. Neva, bitter loser, who has her team turn their backs on the other team in an example of non-sportsmanlike conduct at its heights, is not a look that becomes you or your girls. Between the walk out of last time and this, you are really showing them how to be nasty and low class, and that's a shame.

This. When Neva was yammering on and on about disqualification for Miss D doing the exact thing Neva just got done doing, I was wondering what the penalty should be for a team who turns their backs on the other team. Rude, disrespectful and poor sportsmanship. Although since divas can do no wrong in Neva's eyes, I'm not surprised. Especially after she admitted no wrongdoing during the last stand battle when her girls were trash talking the Dolls. I'm with Miss D on this. I loathe Neva.

• Love 4

I think the Baby Dolls were robbed in the stand battle. From what we were shown, the dolls clearly put on the better performance.

Had Hayley (if I'm not mistaken) not danced so fast, she could have won the solo competition. Going too fast, just like going too slow causes you to lose count with the rythem/pace of the music and it will be visible, especially to the trained eye.

It seemed like the tiger Cubs did less dance and more drama/skit type stuff, which doesn't seem like it should win a dance competition. I don't think hand-jives sitting in the floor and tearing up a baby doll counts.

The latest episode with the Prancing Tigerette's coach. I either must have forgotten about him or he just wasn't that memorable before. I feel like so many of the coaches are so over the top because they are on television or something. I feel like a few episodes ago that there seemed like a low drama, sane coach. I forgot which team she coached, but I do not think it was one of their main rivals.

Selena needs to let it go with one or both of the twins getting cut. Sanjay was cut a lot before she made it on the stands team. I do not know if I misheard, but did Selena compare herself to Michael Jackson's dad?

• Love 1

I thought Dianna did the right thing pulling Camryn's solo, since it look like she was having a hard time with it and not remembering parts.

I have not been impressed by any of the solos this season. Not Kayl'a's, the Diamonds, or any of the other teams they've shown--the soloists' moves are not precise or clean, and the dances seem very off-rhythm. I know these are teenaged girls (or younger), so I'm trying not to be too critical. Lord knows, I couldn't perform those dances. And the problems seem to lie with the choreography. To me, it looks like the what the solo performance is a snippet of or even a variation of one of the group creative dances or stand battles. In other words, the moves might look good when performed by an entire group. But when one person showcases them, the moves look sloppy and unprofessional.

In the last episode, I thought it looked like Kayla had lost some weight? If so, good for her.

I noticed that, too. Was it ever mentioned what Kayla's plans are after graduation. I recall Sunjai was touring colleges. Was Kayla doing the same?

• Love 1

Based on what was said in the last episode, it sounds like Kayla's goal is to own her own studio/company. I really hope she's planning to at least go to a local school and get some business training (and a dance major would be good, too, because she doesn't have strong dance technique overall). I have this suspicion that next year we'll see Kayla coaching BDD as an employee.

As to why Traci (Miami coach) keeps showing up-there's one reason only. The show wants her there. No one flies from Miami to Jackson just to watch a competition between a half dozen local/regional teams in a school gym.

• Love 1

I dread the thought of Neva probably showing up next week. I did think Traci of the Miami team was a bit less obnoxious than her previous appearances. Though when she implied that Dianna was fat and how awesome Traci thought of her own outfit was irritating. 

I kind of hate when the teams target certain girls. Last week it was Kayla, Cami, and this week it was Sunjai. The girls handle it well. For some reason I am more okay with teams targeting other whole teams than specific girls.

I glanced at Kayla's Twitter feed and do not really know what her plans are for the future. I did not really go that far back looking at tweets though and she tweets pretty sporadically. She seems excited to graduate next month is the most of what I got.

I thought the girls did a fantastic job in the latest episode.

All the attempts to mimic Dianne and the Dolls don't come across as creative, it just seems like an acknowledgment that the Dolls are out of your league. If you're really about the dance, then dance it, don't try to clown the other team.

FYI Lifetime, Selena is the parent I like the least, so there is zero interest in seeing more of her, let alone more of her in her private life. Likening herself to Joe Jackson makes her look dim. Yes, the Jacksons succeeded, but look at the trainwreck they have become. Is that what you are striving for for your girls? In addition, the Jackson kids all seem to be estranged from Joe to one degree or another. Is that the relationship you want with your girls? As for the date and the plans she was making for her girls and her date's kids made her seem more than a bit cray-cray.

• Love 1

Based on what was said in the last episode, it sounds like Kayla's goal is to own her own studio/company. I really hope she's planning to at least go to a local school and get some business training (and a dance major would be good, too, because she doesn't have strong dance technique overall). I have this suspicion that next year we'll see Kayla coaching BDD as an employee.

Lord, I hope not. I want Kayla to get out of Mississippi for a while to see more of the world. More of the US, anyway. It's okay if she comes back to Jackson. And I think it would be okay if she ended  up working at DD studios, but at 18, she shouldn't limit herself to that. Go to college, Kayla. Get more formal dance training and get exposed to other types of dance. Find out what other things you like besides dance. Get exposed different kinds of people.*

*Not that there's anything wrong with the people in her life. But I think it's important to get to know people from different backgrounds and cultures. She might even learn to enjoy and prepare food that isn't fried.

• Love 2

Oh Neva, you are so over the top. I found it hilarious that she got mad at Dianna performing with the girls when she did the same thing in the solos. She should team up with the Superstars (Superstarz?) coach. They both have huge egos.

I really enjoy Crystianna and her soft spoken manner. I forgot how young she is until it was mentioned. I thought she did a good job with her solo.

I liked Tamia too. I prefer Tamia over Camryn. Probably because I see too many of Camryn's TH's and she rubs me the wrong way for some reason. She still seems like a good kid though.

Neva is ill-mannered, low rent, rude, crude, not very smart but really loud, just......yuck. Don't need to see her any more.

Crystianna is good, especially considering her age. Her Aunt is my favorite parent. She's the kind of proactive parent that focuses on having a successful, yet well-rounded child. 

I prefer Tamia, too, because Camryn and Mimi can be just a little bit too smug and back-stabbing. That's not cute. Mimi looks like she could be related to Kandi Burress though. Something about her features and the way she speaks reminds me of Kandi.

I dread the thought of Neva probably showing up next week. I did think Traci of the Miami team was a bit less obnoxious than her previous appearances. Though when she implied that Dianna was fat and how awesome Traci thought of her own outfit was irritating.

Enough Neva. Nobody wants to see more of her. She's gross. Traci is a nut stuck in a time warp, but I like her, because she really knows what she's doing. Her girls have excellent technique and looks far more put together and chic than any other team. Traci looks a crazy 1992 mess, but her girls look amazing. Dianna is good, and I like her, too (plus she's not crazy and is hilarious), but Traci is really good.

• Love 2

I really hope both Sunjai and Kayla get some money from the show to go to college (since I assume that's who the scholarship is really being paid by)- as well as the other girls when they're ready.

I tend to agree with the judges. The YADC girls just plain have better dance skills/technique overall, and it shows. Although I dislike their coach immensely.

• Love 1

I was disappointed that the Dancing Dolls didn't win the Battle Royale, but I understood why not. Their entire performance was off. Their moves were not precise or synchronized (even less-so than usual), I didn't like their black and silver outfits, and I didn't like the music. I assume they choose the music to use in the stand battles, and the songs they chose weren't catchy or energetic. I wasn't overly impressed with the Superstarz either, but they were better than the DD.

My question: why are the Superstarz traveling to Mississippi (or Memphis) to compete? You cannot tell me that Traci can't find other good dance teams to compete against in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, or even Atlanta or Augusta?  I do enjoy her presence on the show. Yes, she's arrogant and melodramatic and talks about herself in the 3rd person, but she seems a little more intelligent than other dance coaches we've seen this season. And she stresses good dance technique with her girls.

• Love 2

So glad to see this thread as Bring It is one of my favorite shows. I was disappointed that Kayla didn't get a full scholarship but then again - maybe she has already committed to another college who offered her one. You know it was producer driven when a 12 yr old tries out for a scholarship.

• Love 2

I like Dianna because she really seems to care about her dancing dolls. And on the first episode of the show, she was open and honest about her own bad decisions from the past, and she wants to serve as a mentor to young girls so that they hopefully won't make the same mistakes she did.

Is it wrong that part of me wants to see her and one of the moms really get into it? Dianna is petite, but she does not look like someone you'd want to challenge in a fight.

My question: why are the Superstarz traveling to Mississippi (or Memphis) to compete? You cannot tell me that Traci can't find other good dance teams to compete against in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, or even Atlanta or Augusta?  I do enjoy her presence on the show. Yes, she's arrogant and melodramatic and talks about herself in the 3rd person, but she seems a little more intelligent than other dance coaches we've seen this season. And she stresses good dance technique with her girls.

I'm assuming so that they can be on television, that's pretty good exposure for a dance studio from a business perspective.

• Love 1

New Episodes beginning July 31. I don't know if this will be a full season, or if we'll see just a few summer episodes.

I hope we have another chance to see Kayla and Sunjai before they leave for college or wherever else their futures take them.

• Love 1

There is a marathon on today & it does no favors for Neva... seeing so much of this classless heifer back to back just highlights what a delusional nasty piece of work she is!  Neva keeps talking about respect she is deserved, respect is something you earn.

Although I truly hope something wonderful happens for Kayla after graduation (travel, college, etc.) I like her & will miss her so I hope she has some kind of role after she is done dancing with the dolls.  And I think her mom is a hoot.  She won my heart when she snatched her own wig off to get in Selena's face

• Love 4

Although I truly hope something wonderful happens for Kayla after graduation (travel, college, etc.) I like her & will miss her so I hope she has some kind of role after she is done dancing with the dolls.  And I think her mom is a hoot.  She won my heart when she snatched her own wig off to get in Selena's face

I've only watched the question & answer show so far (my sons begged me to wait & watch the regular episode with them). First, I hope that Kayla is just coaching for the summer and that come fall, she has something else lined up: college, moving to New York, etc.

Dianna is hilarious. I love the clips with her patting her weave. She didn't realize how much she did that (I didn't either).

I want to like Kayle, but I just don't. She needs a slice of humble pie and to get in shape. 

Honestly, i'm not sure if it's weight gain or being complacent, but she looks like she's running out of steam. She definitely doesn't have the energy she had in earlier seasons, and the weight gain and lack of energy really make it apparent that she has terrible technique. She has swag, but just does a lot of hair whipping. 

Of course, none of them have very good traditional technique. They all have amazing showmanship, but especially when the tumblers come out, I'm biting my nails thinking somebody is going to get hurt.

Christiana really impresses me more than any of them. She has the whole package and better control and technique than any of them. I do miss Sunjai. I'm over Mimi and Camryn. Cam has better technique than a lot, but those two are sneaky and a little bit mean. 

I hope that Kayla is just coaching for the summer and that come fall, she has something else lined up: college, moving to New York, etc.

Honestly, i'm not sure if it's weight gain or being complacent, but she looks like she's running out of steam. She definitely doesn't have the energy she had in earlier seasons, and the weight gain and lack of energy really make it apparent that she has terrible technique. She has swag, but just does a lot of hair whipping.

I agree with both of these points. Kayla has been a big fish in a small pond for a long time, made an even bigger fish by the exposure on the show. (Well as big as you can get from being on Oxygen. Or is it Lifetime? I can never remember which channel this show is on.) But throughout the course of the show we've seen that she lacks versatility in her dance, the self-discipline to keep her body in shape, and the wisdom to understand why those two things will prevent her from branching out and reaching higher. In addition to that, like almost every girl on the team, she lacks control and technique. If I recall correctly, Dianna has very little formal training herself, so it would not surprise me if she was passing on her bad habits to all of these girls.

I've tried so hard to watch this show without the bias that comes from having had formal training in the usual - ballet, tap, and jazz. But I've found it impossible. While I appreciate that a lot of what the DD are about is showmanship, energy, and swagger, I can't get over how messy their dancing is. It's all a bunch of showy tricks that - while difficult - aren't executed particularly well. They're in unison, but not synchronized. That's why when that team from Miami comes around, they generally wipe the floor with the DD. Even when they lose, their performance looks so much more polished than the DD.

• Love 2

That stuff used to drive me crazy too, especially since I used to coach a dance team. But apparently, that's the way most of those kinds of dance teams around that area look. I think that it's judged based on showmanship and being in unison. As a former coach, that's the one thing I can pick out immediately during a dance routine, when someone is a beat or a half beat behind the rest of them and it drives me up the freaking wall.

I agree about Kayla, please nobody kill me for this but, I have to wonder if she has noticed the change in herself from just viewing the show? I fully support being okay with your body, but if she wants to continue to dance and she's obviously struggling with the weight gain I have to wonder if she doesn't have the drive to make the changes that would help her out? To be perfectly honest, for awhile there, before Dianna said something, I considered the possibility that perhaps she was pregnant and went looking online and found out that I wasn't the only one who had that thought.

• Love 1

I'm over Mimi and Camryn. Cam has better technique than a lot, but those two are sneaky and a little bit mean.

This. I hated how Mimi thought Camryn was entitled to the captain spot. Something about those two rubs me the wrong way. I know that it will probably end up that Camryn will be captain, but I wish she wouldn't. I enjoy soft spoken Christiana more than Camryn. Wasn't there another co-captain that we saw Camryn battle it out against last season? She wasn't one that they focused on, but I got the impression that she had been co-captain under Kayla for some years.

I miss Kayla leading battles, because she had some spark while she lead. So far Christiana is the only one who had some spark and I know Miss D isn't going to make her captain. I miss focusing on Sunjai too.

• Love 1

I can't watch this show for one reason, too much weave. I think it's disgusting to put a weave on a child's head.

I was thinking the same thing! I am so distracted by the length and amount of weave on the girls, the parents, and the coaches. Camryn has so much fake hair on her head that I think it gets in her eye and affects her ability to be intense and focused on the dance floor.

Which is why I like the new mom--the mother of the girl Jalyn who left DD to be on the PD for a while. That mom's hair looks like it's all her own, and it's in a natural style. Even if she has a few fake pieces, it's not flowing down her back and filling up my TV screen. 

I've tried so hard to watch this show without the bias that comes from having had formal training in the usual - ballet, tap, and jazz. But I've found it impossible. While I appreciate that a lot of what the DD are about is showmanship, energy, and swagger, I can't get over how messy their dancing is. It's all a bunch of showy tricks that - while difficult - aren't executed particularly well. They're in unison, but not synchronized. That's why when that team from Miami comes around, they generally wipe the floor with the DD. Even when they lose, their performance looks so much more polished than the DD.

Which is why I couldn't believe that they beat the team from Atlanta. Even if the Atlanta team had less complicated moves, their choreography was tighter, and the girls executed with more precision and better technique. 

But I guess the home town group will usually have the advantage. 

I really wonder if the moms were told to ramp it up. It just seems like there's FAR more mama-drama.

And I hope Kayla is at least enrolled in college locally this fall. I hate to think that being Ms. D's assistant coach is as far as she goes.

• Love 1