Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: Money Hungry

Well, OK then....I haven't watched BL for a few seasons....didn't much like the dramatic fakery...but this season starts on my birthday....so....It's gotta be good?....who the fvk knows...but I'll tune in once again and give it a shot as I did enjoy some of the past seasons...

So, a drinking game to take a swig every time Bob calls somebody "Baby"?

I haven't watched "The Biggest Loser" in years. Do the fat people always cry so much? So annoying and it's only the first half-hour.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

There were two trainers beside Dolvett last season, weren't there? Because I am annoyed that they brought back Jen.  But if she doesn't talk much this season, maybe I won't mind as much.

So, a drinking game to take a swig every time Bob calls somebody "Baby"?

I would say a drinking game everytime someone cries or there's another sob story, but then I would have to sit here for two hours with a funnel in my mouth.

Oh my Gawd there is moer math this year. 

• Love 6

I never watched before so I was excited to tune in for something new.  Fifteen minutes in.. I put on Love it or List it.  I cannot take all that crying.  It's so depressing!! Nobody just talks..they all cry.  And then the yelling!!  The trainers yelling!!  Not my cup of tea.

• Love 1

So in the first hour, we had a woman collapse in the treadmill, requiring medical attention, and a guy falls off a ladder halfway up a building. Twice. Plus a whole lot of crying. I don't think I'll be back after tonight.

• Love 1

Jen's head bobs like a bobblehead when she applauds. OH MY GOD MORE CRYING STOP IT.

Bob is trying really hard on Twitter to sell this show moment by moment. It ain't working.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 2

I am not sure how Jen motivates anybody. And I was sorry to see that the elimination table, which almost everyone seems to hate, is still there. Not sure why they are doing side by side weigh ins unless it is to prevent people from running off at the mouth on the scale. I didn't think it added anything to whatever tension is supposed to be there. 

Overall, I thought tonight was meh. I wish they had a second challenge or something.

• Love 1

The money crap at the beginning was stupid even for this show. Bob sounded like a really horrible game show host screaming about the money. There was so much Bob. I was on Bob overload by the second minute. This season may require booze & I rarely drink. I miss Alison. And then there was yet more money crap with the challenge & its Survivor style twist. I'm expecting a hidden immunity idol next. Barf on that. Barf on Bob. Barf, barf, barf.

Jen equals blah. She doesn't do much for me other than make me say shut up. Jessie was better in my opinion. At least I found him more inspiring. Thank goodness for the pretty that is Dolvett. I'm asking him to carry a heavy load to make up for the other (not biggest) loser trainer. I'm already tired of Jen pointing out how different she is than Dolvett. Barf.

I want to like some of these folks. It makes the show more enjoyable, but what a bunch of crybabies. I've been fat, I've been thin, & I've been in between. I've worked out at home, in a gym alone, & in groups. I don't ever recall bawling like these people & I cry easily. I'm a freaking social crier. Does TBL have a new easy sob supplement? Do TPTB think a sob fest is entertaining? It's not. It's annoying & manipulative. I momentarily felt like I was watching Dr. Drew. Maybe I'm moving past this show. I saw ABC has some new fat/diet/lose it show premiering this week. Maybe I should check it out. Barf.

• Love 4

Pizza night!

I see Dr. Gillian isn't the only trainer to have a Doctor of Psychobesity. Yessiree, Dr. Bob, you are equipped to counsel Toy out of her grief and guilt about her child drowning. Not sure there even was a connection made to her weight, but oh well. Dang I miss Allison.

The wheels in Dolvett's exceptionally pretty little head started turning when Richard Hatch lost less than the optimum amount at the weighin, followed up by other members on the red team dropping just a few and losing the weighin despite the 8 lb advantage Hatch and "Kelly Osbourne" chose during the challenge (Hatch: Damn we should have taken the $40K! Britney: Damn I should have taken the $25K!). After all is said and done about him, do not underestimate the strategic genius that is Richard Hatch.

There are a bunch of crybabies and this doesn't seem to be the smartest group ever put together. I hope we don't have to hear too many more sob stories, although most of them seem to be I'm sad cuz I'm overweight and I'm overweight cuz I'm sad.

Britney is delightful today. Love her body confidence!

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 3

I watch with cc on and volume barely detectable. About 30 minutes in, I'm ok. Some teams seem very nice, lots of vanilla, no villain candidates in my opinion. Some real sad sacks who need a big pep talk.

Like Bob as host. I was tired of perpetually constipated and miserable looking Allison pretending to cheer people on. I think bob, jen and dolvett are more sincere.

Long way to go. We'll see...

Giggled at Richard Hatch's tax joke.

• Love 1

The money crap at the beginning was stupid even for this show. Bob sounded like a really horrible game show host screaming about the money. There was so much Bob. I was on Bob overload by the second minute. This season may require booze & I rarely drink. I miss Alison. And then there was yet more money crap with the challenge & its Survivor style twist. I'm expecting a hidden immunity idol next. Barf on that. Barf on Bob. Barf, barf, barf.

Bob showed his true colors the other day on that New Year's Game Night thing, where he made fun of fat people.

{tossing bird at the Cult of Bob ensuring he wasn't out on the street by now and instead has this even better paying gig now}

• Love 1

Dang Roberto. Fell off that leader twice....

Every season it's the same dumb thing... Black women keep getting voted off early on in the process. Grrrr

People below the yellow line (lowest loss) are up for elimination no matter what race.  ***shrug***

I liked the dual scales, it made the weigh in go faster and it was good to see which team was leading at any given point.  

I FFed a lot so I missed the crying on purpose.

I like Richard hatch and would like to see him go far but he is older and not likely to be able to lose fast enough to make it far.    He probably water loaded knowing they had an 8 pound advantage.  He is the ultimate strategist and competitor. As we saw this turned out to be a risk but it paid off.  It probably told him not to fool with this in the future unless immunity is involved. 

When Dolvet mentioned that he was surprised he did not lose more, I think he might have suspected, too. 

ETA.  I like Bob as host.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

Ok THANK YOU All for pointing out the crying. I was watching with my husband and kept saying OMG WHY ARE THEY ALL CRYING and he basically inferred I had no heart. LOL. Glad to know I am not alone. Though Toy's story was really really sad, she can cry.

I must not be made for reality TV because I would have jumped off the treadmill in a heartbeat for 20k. Just saying

People below the yellow line (lowest loss) are up for elimination no matter what race.  ***shrug***

I liked the dual scales, it made the weigh in go faster and it was good to see which team was leading at any given point.  

I FFed a lot so I missed the crying on purpose.

I like Richard hatch and would like to see him go far but he is older and not likely to be able to lose fast enough to make it far.   I did have a though, though.  He might have water loaded knowing they had an 8 pound advantage.  He is the ultimate strategist and competitor. As we saw this turned out to be a risk but it paid off.  It probably told him not to fool with this in the future unless immunity is involved. 

When Dolvet mentioned that he was surprised he did not lose more, I think he might have suspected, too. 

ETA.  I like Bob as host.  

I maintain if I was in this game I would totally scam the hell out of it. I think Richard probably figured he lost 20 lbs, then drank a crap ton of water or something before weigh in to get him up a little so he would be above the yellow line but have wiggle room for a week he might need to really drop weight. 

• Love 3

Ok THANK YOU All for pointing out the crying. I was watching with my husband and kept saying OMG WHY ARE THEY ALL CRYING and he basically inferred I had no heart. LOL. Glad to know I am not alone. Though Toy's story was really really sad, she can cry.

I must not be made for reality TV because I would have jumped off the treadmill in a heartbeat for 20k. Just saying

I maintain if I was in this game I would totally scam the hell out of it. I think Richard probably figured he lost 20 lbs, then drank a crap ton of water or something before weigh in to get him up a little so he would be above the yellow line but have wiggle room for a week he might need to really drop weight. 

I would, too.  Water loading is the only thing I can think of to do.  Is there anything else?

I would, too.  Water loading is the only thing I can think of to do.  Is there anything else?

It depends how closely monitored they are during weigh ins. I don't think they are actually weighed in during the competition segment with the giant scales personally ( but rather in the morning). You could wear a ton of clothes ( numerous layers), put weights in ( if you are wearing pants ankle weights). I think water would get you at least 3 lbs tho, and if you wait to use the restroom probably another 1 or 2 lbs.

It depends how closely monitored they are during weigh ins. I don't think they are actually weighed in during the competition segment with the giant scales personally ( but rather in the morning). You could wear a ton of clothes ( numerous layers), put weights in ( if you are wearing pants ankle weights). I think water would get you at least 3 lbs tho, and if you wait to use the restroom probably another 1 or 2 lbs.

They are often weighed as long as 2 days before.  The giant scales are just props.   They have to wear the same shorts and no top for men. I suppose you could put a role of quarters in your underpants.  I am sure their luggage is checked thoroughly so that would be hard to smuggle in.  If there was anything Hatch could fit in there from the house maybe he could do that.  It would have to be an object that was very compact and heavy, probably difficult to find.  

They are aware of water loading so they are probably have to go through a metal detector before weighing!   Or maybe weighed with only underwear.  

Edited by wings707

Just when I thought the show could not get more tacky or worse, here comes the sad story of Toy. Do they really think they can "cure" her of her guilt and pain of losing her son. Seriously! I am grateful Dr. JPhonyian is not a trainer this year. She would have been all over Toy like ticks on a hound dog in the middle of a hot summer day. It was bad enough watching Bobboy trying to play host and armchair psychologist. I am rooting for the dad and daughter team on the black team. The twin brothers are already starting to get on my nerves for some reason. Funny how the obnoxious girl on the red team had the highest percentage of weight loss. I was hoping Dolvett was going to rip into her.

I can't find a source, but I think I remember reading that the weigh-ins are done totally nude, and to the ounce. Maybe a previous board?

Sarah... well, not sure of her name, but the Southern daughter ... is a beautiful woman. I bet she was cast with high hopes that she'll be stunning after weight loss.

I'm actually liking Bob as host. His competitive nature annoys the crap out of me, so I'm glad he's been put in a position where that won't be at the forefront.

Crying, awkward product placements, yelling trainers, drama at the weigh-in: all things I'm accustomed to on TBL. I barely see them anymore. I'm in for the duration. These people seem to be positive, at least at this point. Can't take the toxic ones and I think since the season of the Britt siblings, TBL is making a conscious effort to cast likable people. Thank you for the reminders that Richard Hatch is the ultimate competitor. I didn't watch Survivor, or anything else he may have been on, so it will be interesting to see the gamesmanship and strategy happen.

• Love 1

I stopped watching about half way through, after getting my fill of the long loving shots of Bob's eyes filling with tears as he listened to Toy's tragic story.

So I have to ask:  Are they still playing that hilariously overwrought, poor-man's Carmina Burana music over the weigh-ins!?!   That makes me crack up every time.   You may be going to war!  You may be entering a post-apocalyptic landscape!  You may be passing through the fiery gates of hell!  Or...you may be standing on a giant prop scale.

Is it bad that I want to root for Richard Hatch?!?  If anyone can outsmart this mess, it's him.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 1

?....

He's a strategic group dynamic genius. Absolutely he threw the weighin, and not just so he could stay in the game--he wanted his team to lose so he could manipulate who got sent home (you don't ultimately win as an individual because you kept your team safe). Britney was potentially a bigger threat as a competitor being younger than Toy and presumably without the psychological issues, so off she goes. He also endeared himself to his team by stressing that he and "kelly osborne" helped them all out when they won the challenge and chose the 8 lb advantage group reward vs the $40k. Which he then had a big part in squandering (I am imagining him possibly subtly sabotaging other's efforts, not to mention getting a little alliance set up off the get-go, like he did in the first season of Survivor).

Richard will make this season fun to watch for me. That, and trying to understand why Bob is addicted to tattoos.

• Love 5

He's a strategic group dynamic genius. Absolutely he threw the weighin, and not just so he could stay in the game--he wanted his team to lose so he could manipulate who got sent home (you don't ultimately win as an individual because you kept your team safe). Britney was potentially a bigger threat as a competitor being younger than Toy and presumably without the psychological issues, so off she goes. He also endeared himself to his team by stressing that he and "kelly osborne" helped them all out when they won the challenge and chose the 8 lb advantage group reward vs the $40k. Which he then had a big part in squandering (I am imagining him possibly subtly sabotaging other's efforts, not to mention getting a little alliance set up off the get-go, like he did in the first season of Survivor).

Richard will make this season fun to watch for me. That, and trying to understand why Bob is addicted to tattoos.

ohhhh excellent points all around!!!!! 

I always go into 2-hour competitions with something else to turn my attention to do during the filler (like the sobbing). Last night was a productive evening.

I expect the show to save a lot of money on wardrobe. It seemed like every time you saw Allison, she was wearing a different outfit, but shows don't tend to do that with a male host.

I miss Anna as trainer. Jen annoys me.

• Love 1

Richard had a 13 lb weight loss, which was pretty good, I thought. I was kind of surprised that Dolvett seemed disappointed. If Rich waterloaded, he certainly was very exacting about it, not too much, not too little. 

I am glad Dolvett has Richard on his team because D won't coddle him. I think Richard would run rings around Jen. I would love to see what Jillian would do with Richard if he tried to manipulate her, because she is too sharp for that. That would be a showdown worth tuning in for. But she has two other shows, so, well, good on her.

I am keeping in mind that this is still the "honeymoon phase" or the "sizing each other up" phase, but it was nice that Richard picked the 8 lb team advantage and gave the impression that he is behaving himself for now.

Edited by newyawk

I always go into 2-hour competitions with something else to turn my attention to do during the filler (like the sobbing). Last night was a productive evening.

I expect the show to save a lot of money on wardrobe. It seemed like every time you saw Allison, she was wearing a different outfit, but shows don't tend to do that with a male host.

I miss Anna as trainer. Jen annoys me.

1 season barely seemed to realize what she was doing there ex-tennis pro Anna Kournikova?  Really?

Don't tell me you miss Kim Lyons too!

I'll admit I'm in the minority in kind of liking Jen though. What can I say, I was a big American Gladiators fan. No excuses.  

I can see why she might bug.. but I think it would be a reoccurring (inevitable) problem with any female trainer who lasts more than 1 season.  if they come off too intense, it seems posey to some of the viewing audience. If they talk about feelings, it starts to come off as too touch-feely.  Jillian oddly enough managed to get both of these criticisms at different times on the show (or just from different viewers). I think Jen faces the same problem of a sort. If she's too enthusiastic it seems "fake". If she's not, she's "boring". If she talks about feelings too much she's being the next "Dr. Phillian". If she doesn't, she seems cold and detached. It seems like a lose-lose here whatever she does. Mind you, it's still early in her tenure, so I'm just projecting on part of that based on Jillian's example. 

• Love 2

Richard Hatch!!  Love him.  I agree with all the posts about Richard doing strategy..I thought the same thing about him guzzling water.  I've  seen his 'straight face' act on Survivor.  "I'm proud of it but it's not what I wanted"  He always acts a bit more 'sincere' when he's lying.  Love him.

All the winners lose at least 50% of their body weight.  not likely Richard would get down to 150.  He's tall.  So unless he figures out how to get rid of all those who aren't that hefty to begin with (I wouldn't put it past him tho) he isn't a contender for the win.  

• Love 1

On the waterloading, there was one season where some guy waterloaded and ended up gaining 17lbs for the week, I recall that, even though he wouldn't outright admit to doing it, you could tell he realized that he overshot the mark by a lot!!  As I recall, he was on a team where he knew he was safe and wanted to take out someone else that he was on the team with (I think they had suffled up the teams so he knew he had the votes).  I think he ended up not getting his way because it so outraged everyone else, that they came up with a compromise vote that wasn't his intended target. 

I'm pretty sure that after that year, the implemented a rule that if you gain weight one week, the next week you don't get to count any loss until you've gotten back to your original weight.

ETA: link to the original kerfuffle...I totally expect shenanigans from Richard this year.

Edited by pennben

1 season barely seemed to realize what she was doing there ex-tennis pro Anna Kournikova?  Really?

You're right that Anna was pretty much thrown onto the show without any preparation, but she shared some of the things I like about Dolvett. Shame it was nothing more than a stunt casting to bring in more viewers. She had potential. I'm not sure what bugs me about Jen, but I think it has to do with not seeming real. It's like she's always acting and you can see that she is because she isn't that good at it.

• Love 1

Richard's weight loss was pretty on par with the other male on the team. If he lost 20 lbs, his team still wouldn't have won. Now it could be that he read the room that his team wasn't going to win with all the big boys on Jen's team, so he manipulated his weight to make sure that he'd have some extra for week 2.

• Love 2

I liked Jen too.

For being more than 300 pounds, Richard didn't look bad at the weigh-in. If he loses as much as contestants do, he'll look horrible.

Was the woman whose child died really named Toy? I wasn't paying close attention. Anyway, how horrible to use that story as fodder for a reality show.

• Love 2