Type keyword(s) to search

Pitch Slapped - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What made me both giggle and gag last night was that Ms D styled the girls as mini-me's; over sized sunglasses worn as headbands in place. It also looked like she was wearing a dress at the competition made out of the same fabric as the boys shorts. I kept wondering where and how they got the costumes if they threw that song together in less than a week. I can see the other group having a tie-dye party in someone's back yard--I guess--but buying or making those other costumes? And where did the $ come from? If I were a parent I'd be pissed about the ongoing added expense. (Okay, we know the production company made those arrangements...)

I don't have much experience with a' capella performances, but in what experience I've had the groups look more like the "challengers" that come in each week (i.e. the Washington Generals of a' capella).  That is, the are not dressed in costumed based upon the song, and are executing choreography that is simply mirroring the music video.  

It seems to me like the idea is not for the a' capella rendition to be just another "cover version" (only without instruments), but rather a more comprehensive "re-imagining" or "re-interpretation" of the song.  That doesn't seem to be what we're getting from either Stay Tuned or Highland Voices.

Am I wrong about that?

My $0.02...

From what I remember of The Sing-Off episodes I watched, sometimes the arrangements were straightforward; other arrangements were more along the lines of re-imaginings or re-interpretations. I wonder, particularly with Stay Tuned, if their arrangements aren't more of the straightforward variety (even though Deke is adding in more parts each episode) due to the group's overall talent level.

Deke has said that HV has more talent, experience, better soloists, etc. So perhaps the arrangements he comes up with for ST's 21 members aren't as complex and musically demanding as they could be simply because he doesn't want to give them a challenge they can't realistically meet. He's helping them get better by taking baby steps, as opposed to giving them moon shots with low odds of succeeding--simply because it may be too much for them to handle at the level of musicality they're at. Also, we know ST and choreo don't mix well yet (if ever). What would happen if he had them learn a more demanding arrangement while introducing more involved choreo?

With HV, it appears to me that Diana's choreo schemes can be executed by the group well enough. It's just that certain elements of that choreo aren't well-thought out. For example, the tuning issues, raised by Deke, with HV's opening seconds from last week's performance--Phillip was off and never got back in key. The choreo did not enhance the performance. Even though HV got a high score (80/90), they could have again "won" if not for certain mistakes.

First I was cracking up that this "summer competition season" has been taking place during the spring semester. I guess I'm crazy for assuming that anything described as taking place in the summer takes place during summer, not before graduation even happens.

Man, so many of the HV kids were flat while auditioning for the "Good Time" solos, so I was not surprised that the group sounded flat during competition (although bless Deke for pointing out Diana's mistake in having them start on the ground due to the pitch pipe/onstage speakers). I was totally rolling my eyes when Diana said that HV was set up with an AMAZING arrangement, FANTASTC choreography, and GREAT ORIGINAL ideas but THEY blew it. Seriously? Her ego knows no bounds. The choreography was little more than them running around the stage in circles like the closing number on Glee during S4-S5. She is so annoying, always making things about herself. I was so annoyed when she said, "I'm trying not to freak out but I'm freaking out." Way to give your kids a pep talk the day before a competition.

Deke was smart to give every single person in Stay Tuned a different character for their "Love Shack" performance. I personally don't think it's a huge deal that Deke is not a choreographer. When I was in show choir, our teacher/director did all the musical stuff (chose our songs, taught us the arrangements, etc) but he hired always hired a choreographer to do all of our routines.

At least HV was able to be somewhat gracious about losing. They said they knew that "Love Shack" was a high energy song, they were still advancing to next week's competition, and that when there's only a one point difference it's about what the judges like, all of which are true. Diana, on the other hand, was such a sore loser. Gawd. She is a terrible example to these kids. Then she had the nerve to repeatedly blame the kids for sucking. Definitely not her fault because she is a winner.

It was a very long day for the kids...I think more than eight hours of taping and hanging around for the performances. Each group had to do their song twice so they could get camera angles. We were sitting one row down and to the left of all the groups. Without knowing much about them at that point (last summer), I noticed HV were completely "on" the entire time, very camera ready and aware. ST seemed much more like regular kids.

I was in an audience shot cheering, but they edited me as cheering for either HV or ST (can't remember) when I was really cheering for my godson. Boo!

And yeah, there is no "competition." My godson's group is Unaccompanied Minors, and they were simply asked to participate in the episode. This whole thing is just made up for the show. Although there was a real competition a few weeks ago and my godson's group beat Stay Tuned! :)

Oh, and during a break my friend and I talked to Deke about Pitch Perfect and he was simply the nicest guy. He talked and talked until production told him to sit down. Diana just fussed around.

Edited by freakgirl
  • Love 1

I kept hearing Deke's name during a local college radio station's weekend a cappella show (two hours Saturday and Sunday). Finally caught the context. His group Vocalosity is touring. He's so nice on this show I almost want to go. I probably should mind that it's fake as can be, but I still enjoy the singing.    

And yeah, there is no "competition." My godson's group is Unaccompanied Minors, and they were simply asked to participate in the episode. This whole thing is just made up for the show. Although there was a real competition a few weeks ago and my godson's group beat Stay Tuned! :)

That must be really frustrating for them if they actually beat ST, but for the fake "competition" they get eliminated, did they know that was how it was going to be filmed ahead of time?

I don't know if they knew they were told they were going to lose. I don't think they knew much, except they weren't the "stars" of the show and it would only be one episode. So I guess they knew they wouldn't be winning anything and moving on anywhere. My godson was super "meh" about the whole thing, but he's a crabby teenager. ;)

I think they were excited to have the experience and the exposure for the group. The kids all sort of know each other from the real competition circuit anyway, so it was probably kind of fun for them.

Edited by freakgirl

Hahaha, I was totally cracking up when Diana said she needed everyone in HV to lose their egos. Okay, #teamdiana. Pot, kettle.

I love that Deke was going with the Barney Stinson philosophy of winning: "just be awesome!" As usual, he did a great job coaxing a good performance out of his team. I love that his rehearsals are half music and half therapy. I also liked that he chose a more ambitious arrangement for them this week.

I was laughing so hard at Diana's TACKY AS FUCK jacket with #TEAMDIANA (in an ugly font, no less) in huge letters down the front of the jacket AND down the sleeve (oh yeah, and a small "Highlands Voices" on the chest).

I had to roll my eyes when Diana claimed that finally HV was hungry and wanted it because so many people were interested in this week's solo. That's what happens when you pick a song that they like. The lack of interest during the previous week wasn't because they had no fire. They just didn't like the song. And of course she is such a sneaky little bitch that she eavesdropped on their post-competition conversation last week and then pointedly asked specific people questions about what she knew they had said. "Do YOU think the song choice was a problem?" I love that the kids were just like yup. It's obvious that they are just tolerating her for a few more weeks.

I hope that little 14 year old Justin from Unaccompanied Minors survives his voice change. That can be rough for boys.

I was so, so bothered by Diana this week, even more than usual. Hallelujah is an amazing song, and can be interpreted in many ways, but I just can't see any way that you could think it's about a woman getting out of an abusive relationship. And she chose Andrew and Vanessa specifically because they had such awesome chemistry when they were singing to each other in the try-outs, but then she decides they should have an antagonistic relationship? It just made no sense. And nobody had any idea what those red scarves were about. That wasn't art, it was pretension. They "won" on either the quality of the solos (Vanessa is amazing), or the producers' need for drama.

(Full disclosure: Andrew is sort of a cousin of mine, and I've known him for years. He is the nicest guy you'll ever know, and there is no way he could pull off "abusive boyfriend" even if he disliked his singing partner. Way to play to the kids' strengths, Diana. Ugh.)

I continue to adore Deke. He knows how to get the best out of the singers by building them up and making them want to do well.

Once again, Highland Voices (Team Diana shirts? really?) & Stayed Tuned finish 1 & 2, what a surprise. Honestly, the more I listen to these groups, the less I think that any of them are good singers.

• Love 2

Just when you think Diana couldn't be more obnoxious. It's not about the kids anymore.

It never was really about the kids for Diana; it's about getting her name and face out there. And yes, she becomes more obnoxious by the minute. I'd like to know what the various kids really think about her, being forced to wear Team Diana t's, having their huddle become a Team Diana cheer. Having her foist on of her own groups songs on them as a basis of comparison of their professionalism and abilities. I suspect Deke's kids are glad that they ended up with him as their supposed coach instead of Ms D.

Somehow I doubt that this will help her professionally.

I've been a fan of a Capella for quite a few years and never heard of her group. If she was that good, than why hasn't she appeared on the Sing Off or one of the Pitch Perfect movies.

I'm pretty sure Deke has more street cred than Diana.

I've been a fan of a Capella for quite a few years and never heard of her group. If she was that good, than why hasn't she appeared on the Sing Off or one of the Pitch Perfect movies.

I'm pretty sure Deke has more street cred than Diana.

Haha, Diana was so unintentionally funny this week.

Diana talking head: I am going to whatever it takes so Highlands Voices wins.

[cut to Diana deciding that the best way to have a high school group that has only three days to prepare for semi-finals is to have them watch HER sing with HER group]

Most obvious sign of the difference between Deke and Diana was the t-shirts. Deke was wearing a Stay Tuned shirt to represent his group. Diana made her group wear shirts that said Team Diana because this is not about a high school group - it's all about publicizing herself. I'm glad that her attitude hasn't totally corrupted Highlands Voices. It was nice to see them on their feet clapping along when Stay Tuned sang "Drift Away" while Diana sat on her bitchy ass looking like she was smelling farts.

I also loved that everyone in Stay Tuned looked stunned that Vocal Forte came in last place. The "scores" and "judging" are so blatantly fake.

The other thing that shows the difference between Deke and Diana is that Deke generally has good things to say about the other groups. Even when he is being critical, he is nowhere near as big a dick as Diana is.

I think that if Deke had given Stay Tuned any choreography, there would have been an even bigger gap in the scores between them and Highlands Voices.

Maddie is a good singer, but I hated that Diana's reason for choosing her for the solo was so she could be lazy and not transpose the key. Maddie was not on pitch in most of the rehearsal footage and during the actual performance so Diana should have changed the key.

It was hilarious when Diana ordered everyone to do another "Team Diana" cheer and they could barely muster the energy to say it at the volume of having a conversation. They were definitely not enthused, and I don't blame them. They are Highlands Voices, not Team Diana. The fucking ego on her is appalling. You're supposed to be mentoring a high school group, not pimping yourself, you egomaniac. I noticed that in her oh so professional arrangement, she changed the end of the song so that she didn't have to sing the big glory note.

• Love 1

I noticed that in [Diana's] oh so professional arrangement, she changed the end of the song so that she didn't have to sing the big glory note.

I noticed that, too. There was loud scoffing and dismissive waving of hands from my couch ;)

Any excuse to see talented kids.

Idk how much of it is editing, but Deke is amazing and Diana can STFU any second now... aaany second... no? damit!

If we were the same age i would have a crush the size of the universe on Andrew, I'm almost twice his age and thisclose to a crush lol Smart, kind, charming, outspoken, confident, nice. Please don't change!

I was blown away by the quality of voices in Octaves(?). They mentioned they are just 4 months old. I'd love to see their journey. The low base voice in their chord is pure velvety maple syrup (i'm a sucker for warm low male voices lol) but every one in that group has a very good voice.

I like how kids are supportive of their competition and cheering for them while they are singing, seems genuine.

This show was a complete farce, but I’m glad I watched it because I saw some very talented kids.  Special shout out to Blue. 

As much as this show is staged and fake, I did love both of Highlands Voices and Stay Tuned’s performances.  I thought they were very good!  I actually didn’t know who should win based on their performances.

If I never see Diana again it’ll be too soon.

• Love 1

ITA - even though it was apparent from the beginning that these "competitions" were fake as hell, we  still got to see some high school kids sing and bond and learn. I could have done without any of Diana's ridiculous drama queen antics so if they end up having a second season of this show, I hope they ditch her and find another mentor. Deke can definitely stay though.

• Love 1

They tried so hard to do a winner's edit on Diana and make her likable. Didn't work.  It was bad because I liked the kids in both groups but my distaste for Diana had me pulling for a Stay Tuned victory.  Their performance was definitely emotional so I liked it more than Highlands Voices but the kids in HV are more talented.  I'm not sure if I would watch a second season of this.  I only finished out this season because I wanted to see how it would end. 

• Love 1

Not that long before this show launched, I read a book called "Bellweather Rhapsody," which I love and made me, I think, dislike Diana more than I might have otherwise. I don't want to give anything away (it's a great book), but one thread is the effect a music teacher had on one of the characters. When Andrew (?) walked out and spoke of how the experience was affecting the joy he usually felt about music (I may be remembering it wrong), I felt for him. It seemed so authentic and not at all brattish. I can take tough teachers and mentors, but her ego took it to the next level.    

I loved so much about this season but not sure I could take another season if she's on it. 

It seems like on nearly every reality show there's someone who thinks they need (or want) to be "the Simon Cowell" of the show.  The person who "is just telling it like it is."  The one who's "not going to sugar coat it."  The asshole.

I suppose that's what Diana was going for this season.

If there's another season, I wish they'd do away with the faux "competition season".  I've seen Harlem Globetrotter games that were less rigged.

Have Deke and Diana mentor two teams who compete against each other for the length of season decide the "winner" based on cumulative scoring.  Or have the teams' real coaches do the coaching, and have Deke, Diana and someone else be the judges.

It seems like on nearly every reality show there's someone who thinks they need (or want) to be "the Simon Cowell" of the show.  The person who "is just telling it like it is."  The one who's "not going to sugar coat it."  The asshole.

Isn't that annoying? So many shows have that kind of judge now, I'm surprised they didn't make Diana use a British accent.

It seems like on nearly every reality show there's someone who thinks they need (or want) to be "the Simon Cowell" of the show. The person who "is just telling it like it is." The one who's "not going to sugar coat it." The asshole.

I suppose that's what Diana was going for this season.

The sad thing is that Deke managed to tell Stay Tuned the way things were without sugar coating things AND without being an asshole. He was able to be honest (sometimes brutally so, like when he told them that HV and some of the other groups were better than ST) but without being mean or being a drama queen like Diana.
  • Love 2

well they are using a bit of their fame.

MUSIC: Highlands Voices to host a cappella festival with workshop, concert

will host an a cappella festival Saturday featuring a full day of workshops and culminating in an evening concert. The Highlands A Cappella Festival will feature both groups that competed on "Pitch Slapped" (Highlands Voices and Stay Tuned). The eight-week TV series' star, Deke Sharon, will serve as head clinician, overseeing 12 other clinicians teaching the classes/workshops, which start at 9 a.m

you can go to just the concert. for 15. this is for may 14 more information inside link

Loved the show (just finished today in UK).  Although I was drawn in by Deke's 'heart' songs,  and they were the ones I rewinded and watched again,  I also enjoyed all of Highland's voices performances.  I actually wanted Highland's voices to win,  even though I enjoyed Stay Tuned's songs more.  I feel that this way everyone wins - Stay Tuned had an absolute blast for 8 weeks and learnt so much.  Highland's voices would have wondered what they had achieved if they had lost.  I like their singers,  and applaud Vanessa's real enjoyment of her rivals' music each week.   I don't think Diana is a villain - she is a professional.  It is the obvious thing to go into a competition like that and try to get the best score in each category,  especially when you are good enough to do it.  Some of her high scores early in the competition showed she had the potential to pull away for the final,  which she did.  Although Deke is an       inspirational coach I don't believe all his bluster - 'this is a group with no obvious strengths' rang false from the outset.  And then to complain that the group was too big,  and then that it was too small in prom week sounded like 'the grass is always greener'.  I thought he mis-pitched his role in the final week making it all about winning,  and then trying to retract after they lost and saying it was all about the music.  It was always all about the music,  but the performers didn't believe him when he said it because he had been banging on about winning all week.  I can't blame all the tears on that though - there was a lot of emotion of the whole       experience coming to an end,  and it showed how much self belief Stay Tuned have.  Highland's Voices reaction also shows how much respect they now have for Stay Tuned.   Yes Lifetime are pulling the strings but if you read between the lines you can see some super characters all over the show.  Well done to all!