Type keyword(s) to search

Baskets in the Media

I've been an Andrew Bird fan for a couple years but had no idea he was doing this show until I saw his name in the credits. I should have known it was him just by the occasional whistling. Read the entire interview. It's quite short but enlightening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Musician Andrew Bird tells us about scoring FX comedy Baskets and finding inspiration at Costco

Also: the power of whistling and living in Zach Galifianakis's house.

Andrew Bird: You know, people are characterizing the show as about a man-child who kind of hates life and is struggling, saying that’s kind of a common trope these days. But what I take from it — and what I think people can identify with — is that it’s not necessarily a male thing or a female thing. It’s just a human thing. A lot of people want to be Renoir, and they end up being Baskets. And then they have to deal with it.

I think that’s the most profound thing about the show, and there’s not a lot of that. There’s a lot of the arrested development guy in comedy, but I think this is a lot deeper than that.

Vox Interview w/Andrew Bird

• Love 1

For Martha fans here's a wonderful interview she did on Marc Maron's WTF podcast.

Her interview starts at the 31:00 mark. Really honest interview about her struggles with addiction and depression. She seems like a genuinely good person.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Soobs said:

For Martha fans here's a wonderful interview she did on Marc Maron's WTF podcast.

Her interview starts at the 31:00 mark. Really honest interview about her struggles with addiction and depression. She seems like a genuinely good person.

I love her.  I love the character, and I love her in real life.

• Love 1

Louie Anderson was nominated again for an Emmy for his incredible work on the show. Unfortunately, Alec Baldwin is in the same category for his Trump work on SNL. No shade on Baldwin's work (which is great) but I absolutely see him winning the Emmy this year and not Louie. :(  

I was watching Better Things and caught a glimpse of Baskets.  Decided to give it a try and now I'm hooked.  This is one of the most entertaining shows since the great All In The Family with Archie and Edith!

I'm presently watching all the previous seasons shows.  How fun.

Finally somebody in Hollywood knows how to write a great show.  Bravo!!!

On 9/18/2016 at 11:09 PM, Fisher King said:

Louie Anderson won an Emmy earlier for his portrayal of Mrs. Baskets! He gave a really sweet speech.

OMG I did not know that was a man.  I thought just a BIG woman.  LOL  He is terrific.  Learn something new each day here.

So excited it's back this week! Didn't it used to be on on Wednesday night? It's on Tuesdays now. Love that Ken's back, too!

15 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Good interview, but one big mistake they made: Louie already had 2 Emmys from his animated show "Life with Louie" way back in the day.

Technically that’s true, but primetime Emmys are a lot more prestigious than daytime Emmys. Daytime Emmys are primarily soap operas, talk shows, and kids’ shows. Even though they’re all called Emmys, they’re almost separate awards.

(edited)

Louie Anderson was on Bill Maher's show last night. I hate Bill Maher, but I was flipping through the channels and heard him start to introduce Louie. I didn't watch the whole interview, because it was mostly just them reminiscing about how long they've known each other.

Louie in his regular persona now looks to me like Christine Baskets dressed as a man. He did say that his mother is his muse for Christine. He actually said, "Christine is [his] mother." Louie had the same childhood that Christine had--an abusive father but a mother who tried to protect the kids from their father.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I caught it because I had recorded the show for the Dave Grohl interview. I loved the Louie segment. He really does look like his mother when he is in character as Christine. He's such a kind soul.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:32 PM, 17wheatthins said:

I guess I'm glad about this, but also amazed--considering how bad Season 3 was. If that wasn't a show begging to be put out of its misery, I don't know what is. (And I say this as a fan of S1 and 2.) Christine is wonderful as seasoning, but not as the main course. I hope S4 will return us to the story of Chip. (And that Chip comes back from being a vegetable, so that he deserves a story.)

• Love 1