Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E00: New Year's Eve Show 2015: Jennifer Lawrence, Eddie Redmayne, Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Years And Years

• Start Topic

On Graham's star-studded New Year's Eve sofa: Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence; Oscar-winner Eddie Redmayne, playing a transgender pioneer in The Danish Girl; Ron Burgundy himself, comic genius Will Ferrell, and actor-producer Mark Wahlberg, together in new comedy Daddy's Home; and music from Years And Years, who'll perform one of 2015's biggest hits, Shine.

I watched most of the JL/ER portion of the show -- Eddie cannot stop moving, can he?  Also, I've noticed JL frequently wears too-short skirts in press junkets and other interview settings -- girl, you're going to be sitting down, test the dress out for gawd's sake.  That said, they really seem to get along and it was pretty fun.

Not shocked by the last two; last time I saw Wahlberg on Norton he got obnoxiously drunk and Ferrell was a complete attention whore on Fallon 's show. And yes, I see the irony of someone presenting themselves on a talk show looking narcissistic but Alicia Vikander was the next guest and even when she got her 2 minutes after Ferrell he was still there sucking up all the oxygen. She came out Jimmy offered her a beer and the the rest of it was Ferrell still talking. Even though Graham Norton is generally really good at giving each guest a fair amount of time I would not watch this live if you paid me.

I really do not want to hang out with Mark Wahlberg. He's awful even when he tries to be charming.

I liked that JLaw acknowledged her inappropriate dress, but she knew she was going to be sitting down, so WTF?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I feel generous towards her. US chatshows all have the host behind a desk, and other guests in separate chairs. With Graham, none of these shielding buffers are in place. And I think her discomfort was with what Eddie and Graham could see, not what the audience could.

I feel generous towards her. US chatshows all have the host behind a desk, and other guests in separate chairs. With Graham, none of these shielding buffers are in place. And I think her discomfort was with what Eddie and Graham could see, not what the audience could.

Yeah, but if you get invited to be on a show, wouldn't you do your homework and watch an episode to see what you're in store for?

Is Jennifer Lawrence legally required to be in every movie nowadays?

I enjoyed the interaction between Eddie and Jennifer, but I also enjoyed Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, and I usually can't stand Will Ferrell.

The veteran's Red Chair story was gross but funny. I kind of liked that Graham didn't fawn all over him, the way we do here in the US anytime someone says he served in the military.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

Finally got around to watching this. I far prefer shows that have one couch for the entire show, just to give time for any chemistry/rapport to build up.

I fully understand that I'm in the minority here, but I find Ferrell to be an unfunny hack, and I find Wahlberg to be such a possibly sociopathic goon, that the last half of the show was barely watchable.  I don't even remember that movie coming out, so the reviews must have been awful.

I guess I should be glad that the show is back at all, but I wish it were on Saturdays than on Mondays. Its party vibe doesn't suit a worknight.

I fully understand that I'm in the minority here, but I find Ferrell to be an unfunny hack, and I find Wahlberg to be such a possibly sociopathic goon, that the last half of the show was barely watchable.

Why would you conclude you're in the minority here on that when three of the four other people here mentioning those two in their posts have been negative about them?

It's so strange to have the show split up like that, though I know they've done it before.

I would love to be friends with Jennifer Lawrence. She is so fun and funny. My kind of sense of humor. However, she interrupted Eddie Redmayne too much. In a real conversational setting, that would be fine, but it annoyed me here.

I think Will Ferrell is funny. I liked him a lot here, but I don't like Mark Wahlberg. 

I didn't like the guy in the Red Chair. He seemed very impressed with himself.

I didn't actually believe that story.  At least it was super exaggerated.  There is not way you can poo that much that it would escape (vs being soaked up) heavy material and bloused pants to cover the floor of a helicopter and flow back and forth in the grooves of the floor as the helicopter moved.  He may have messed his pants some which may have left a stain visible from the back, a bit on the chair and really smelled so that everyone knew.  But still not sure I believe it all.  Sounds like a bet to me, tell a gross story on GN mate! 

I loved everybody (Graham first and foremost always!)  but did think JLaw interrupted and talked a bit too much.  I thought it was sort of in keeping with her rep that she had a run in her tights. 

• Love 1

I felt bad for Jennifer, because it was apparent to me that she had dressed in something short and fun, but hadn't realized quite how short it was when sitting down. I actually thought it was kind of adorable that she was so self-conscious -- we've seen plenty of other people on the show blithely wearing less.

I thought Jennifer and Eddie were charming and genuine together, and Lawrence always does come across as so real and likable. Her description of her 'modeling' for Abercrombie during the fake football game was hilarious. I just love her and always find myself wishing good things for her.

I hate it when Graham divides the couch time like this, and while I like Ferrell depending on the role, I didn't really enjoy him or Wahlberg much, and they were definitely much less enjoyable than Jennifer and Eddie.

S18, E13 just aired, but the guests were Ralph Fiennes, Tracy Ullman, and James Nesbitt. There must have been a numbering error.

BBC does not list this NYE show as a numbered one so I've changed it and the new thread to make the episode numbers consistent.

BBC does not list this NYE show as a numbered one so I've changed it and the new thread to make the episode numbers consistent.

Thanks! I was confused. I think Graham did say this was the first show of the New Year.