Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Welcome Back Bates

• Start Topic

In the third-season opener, Michaella selects her wedding dress thanks to help from her family. Later, the Bates battle the elements at an outdoor wedding for Kelly Jo's sister; and a birthday party is held on the Fourth of July for Gil's father.

When did they say that Whit is "in the family way?"  I really tried hard to concentrate on this show but between Kelly's adoring stares at Gil, Jackson's sassy mouth ("its a human!") and Carlin constant need for attention, I couldn't take it.  Only Mama Jane was refreshing.  Good on her not letting anyone in the house unless they are helping.  There is plenty of yard they can keep their asses out there.  If you are going to have a super big family, these things happen.

And does Nathan really have a girlfriend like the little girls said?

The pregnancy announcement was during a commercial break. I caught it as I had to stop the episode and catch up with it about 10 minutes later. It came towards the end.

And yes, Nate's NY girlfriend Ashley is the worst kept secret ever. She was with him at the Duggars' over Christmas, pictured with his arm around her. But since several of the Bateseseseses were in NYC about a week before Christmas, including Gil and Kelly, who attend each kids' engagement, were all in place. 

• Love 1

Just a few notes... Can't stand Carlin's need to be so damn extra all the time... Girl, it's okay if the attention iisn't on you all the time!

Chad takes pictures too!? Is there anything he can't do?

Edited by Lucygirl2

Chad is the man.  I'm looking forward to seeing how he and Erin are adjusting to parenthood.  I'm also surprised Whit didn't get pregnant sooner.

I wonder if we'll have to wait until the finale to see Michaela's wedding.  Didn't the Josh Duggar/Ashley Madison bombshell explode right after it?

• Love 1

I liked that Gil wanted to go dress shopping with his daughter. I have a feeling the boys did it more as a joke, but I think Gil really wanted to be a part of the big moment. His emotion was very touching. Go ahead and break those gender stereotypes, Gil!  And Michaela looked absolutely stunning in her dress. 

I LOVE Mama Janey. I would lose my mind if that caravan came pulling up in my front yard as well. She was so cute when she was all, "I didn't holler as much this time". She was pretty adorable playing kickball too. 

I am enjoying this family. I don't agree with everything about their beliefs and lifestyle, but they seem way more laid back and flexible to me. They seem to have actual emotions and real relationships with each other. I enjoyed seeing the interactions between them all during the kickball game and the way various personalities came out. 

I'm confused, though - I get why Michaela stayed behind - she had a dress fitting. But why did Callie (is that the right name?) stayed with her? Did they say? I thought that was odd.

• Love 4

Responding to the bolded parts...

I liked that Gil wanted to go dress shopping with his daughter. I have a feeling the boys did it more as a joke, but I think Gil really wanted to be a part of the big moment. His emotion was very touching. Go ahead and break those gender stereotypes, Gil!  And Michaela looked absolutely stunning in her dress. 

I LOVE Mama Janey. I would lose my mind if that caravan came pulling up in my front yard as well. She was so cute when she was all, "I didn't holler as much this time". She was pretty adorable playing kickball too. 

I'm confused, though - I get why Michaela stayed behind - she had a dress fitting. But why did Callie (is that the right name?) stayed with her? Did they say?  

I assumed that the boys thought, "Oh, road trip to Nashville!  That will be fun.  Michaella (sp.?) has her eye on one particular dress, so she'll try it on, get it, and we'll go out to lunch!"  Plus, I think some of them love being on camera (Lawson, Carlin, I'm looking at you two...), so that might have factored into it as well.  

I actually don't love Janie.  Although, I guess I can appreciate that she's honest and doesn't try to fake it for the cameras, but still.... it made me uncomfortable that everyone -- even the kids -- knew that their grandmother was super stressed about them being there and would be thrilled when they left.  Good for Gil, Kelly, et al. that they just accept it and can laugh about it, but I would have felt a little hurt about it if I was them.  

I don't get why Michaella stayed behind....   it seemed like they were only away for a day or two.  I'm sure she could have found another time to have the fitting.  Plus, the dress she bought was "in her size" (this was specifically mentioned at least once or twice), so it wasn't like a massive overhaul needed to be done.  Speaking of the dress.....I didn't really love it.  I thought she looked pretty in it, but then again, I think she probably would have looked pretty in a number of different dresses.  There was just so much going on....  when she first turned around, I thought there were clips holding the back together (I figured maybe the sample was too big), but then I realized that it was ribbon lacing in the back.  That and the jacket...   I thought one of the sisters said something about Michaella wanting a simple dress, but that dress didn't look "simple."

Just a few notes... Can't stand Carlin's need to be so damn extra all the time... Girl, it's okay if the attention isn't on you all the time!

I'm okay with Carlin....in small doses.  My least favorite scenes on the show are the ones where she and Tori are doing talking heads together.

• Love 1

I like the Bates family!  They are a refreshing change from another family with 19 kids.  Did you notice how Kellie is often seen with one of her grandchildren in her arms.  It's obvious she really loves them.  And, I may have missed something, but I don't think the older kids are formally in charge of specific younger ones (buddies) like the Duggar kids.  They all seem to just look out for each other. 

• Love 3

I'm probably in the minority, but I like Carlin and I also enjoy her THs with Tori. Are they a bit over the top? Yes. But welcome to the teenager years. A LOT of young girls act like that. I just find it refreshing that they are comfortable enough with themselves to be loud and goofy, something you think would be frowned upon in the circles. Young women should be seen and not heard, and all that. I just much prefer it to stiff, wooden smiles and saying what's expected of you.  Even if it can grate for some, I find it authentic. 

• Love 4

I'm probably in the minority, but I like Carlin and I also enjoy her THs with Tori. Are they a bit over the top? Yes. But welcome to the teenager years. A LOT of young girls act like that. I just find it refreshing that they are comfortable enough with themselves to be loud and goofy, something you think would be frowned upon in the circles. Young women should be seen and not heard, and all that. I just much prefer it to stiff, wooden smiles and saying what's expected of you.  Even if it can grate for some, I find it authentic.

I concur. I like Carlin and her THs with Tori as well. I do not think she is attention seeking, but just has an outgoing personality. I like that all the kids have differing personalities and are not all wooden saying the right things all the time. 

I laughed at Lawson and Nathan at the dress fitting. Also at Nathan saying he would tell a girl exactly how she looks if she asked him, while Lawson said he would just tell them they look great. I like the sibling interactions and the good natured teasing between the family.

Trace getting competitive during the kickball game and tagging out the little kids was hilarious to me. Nice to see Kelly and the rest of the girls enjoy playing the game as well.

Whitney speaking for Zach about his grandpa was sweet. She wasn't very eloquent, but the sentiment was nice. I do not know if I heard correctly, but Zach wasn't there because he is in the process of becoming a cop?

I forgot Kelly's sister's name, but I did like how happy Kelly looked for her and how she told her sister how pretty she looked in her dress.

• Love 3
Whitney speaking for Zach about his grandpa was sweet. She wasn't very eloquent, but the sentiment was nice. I do not know if I heard correctly, but Zach wasn't there because he is in the process of becoming a cop?

Yes, I believe they actually said he was at the police academy. 

Trace getting competitive during the kickball game and tagging out the little kids was hilarious to me. Nice to see Kelly and the rest of the girls enjoy playing the game as well.

Trace was hilarious. It was like he knew he should go easier on the smaller kids, but just couldn't bring himself not to tag them. I also liked when someone (I believe Lawson) was cheering Chad on and said something to the effect of, "I let you marry my sister!!" 

I agree that the good natured teasing is nice to see. They're competitive without being dicks. 

on a purely aesthetic note, i LOVE the intro to this show. The song always gets stuck in my head and it's so cute, so much nicer than certain obnoxious "and I delivered EVERY ONE OF THEM!"

I also think it's so cute how Gil wanted in on the dress shopping. I would never let those two boys, there though. Never. Michael's reaction to the dress and everyone's reactions were amazing. 

That colour of purple really, really REALLY suited Erin, she always looks so good. I LOVE Erin and Chad together, I know it's been said 10,000 times, but best couple.  

I am happy for Whitney and Zach, and Bradley is so adorable, too. 

Honestly, I definitely, 100% do not agree with anything this family believes in, but they're enjoyable to watch and I like the fact that they can actually be themselves.

Also, poor Mama Jane. It always seems like she expected one or two grandkids and loves them all but she's more introverted and that is a lot of people.

• Love 5

I also think it's so cute how Gil wanted in on the dress shopping. I would never let those two boys, there though. Never. 

LOL, I'm also of the opinion that the only boys who should be allowed to attend a wedding dress excursion are your father or your gay best friend.  

• Love 1

They really pointed out that the sister and the boyfriend had been together forever. I don't know what they meant. Could have been friends to dating to love, could have been shacking up, I don't know.

In asking the kids about who was dating the kids indicated Nate and, was it Carlin, the one who is speculated to be hanging with Joe at college. Gil was counting down to the few he had at home anymore, 19 to 15 and soon to be only 13. Practically empty nesters.

The interview with 2 of the little boys was funny in that they had nothing to say and the producers thanked them for their input anyway and the little kids seemed that somehow they did a good thing by contributing. Funny.

I'm probably in the minority, but I like Carlin and I also enjoy her THs with Tori. Are they a bit over the top? Yes. But welcome to the teenager years. A LOT of young girls act like that. I just find it refreshing that they are comfortable enough with themselves to be loud and goofy, something you think would be frowned upon in the circles. Young women should be seen and not heard, and all that. I just much prefer it to stiff, wooden smiles and saying what's expected of you. Even if it can grate for some, I find it authentic.

I'm with you. Carlin is my favorite even though in real life she would probably drive my introverted self crazy. I don't get the impression Kelly and Gil are trying to squash any personality out of the kids.

The two littlest boys also crack me up. I could probably watch a whole show of them responding to each scene.

Edited by SugarHigh
  • Love 5

I actually don't love Janie.  Although, I guess I can appreciate that she's honest and doesn't try to fake it for the cameras, but still.... it made me uncomfortable that everyone -- even the kids -- knew that their grandmother was super stressed about them being there and would be thrilled when they left.  Good for Gil, Kelly, et al. that they just accept it and can laugh about it, but I would have felt a little hurt about it if I was them.

I give her a huge pass. She's elderly and I bet most of her days are quiet and peaceful. When the kids come, it's non-stop action around the house which can be overwhelming. It's a lot to deal with at once and it's not like this is the kind of family where the kids use 'inside voices'. So yeah, grandma has a right to not be overjoyed when everyone visits.

I think part of it is that Kelly and Gilly don't have a handle on the  kids.  When they all wanted to go in the house and she said "Why is the door locked?"  Kelly said "That must be Judson" and sure enough kid is headed out the back door.  It must be a lot of her.  The noise, the mess, the parents lack of parenting, the skirts, the lack of jobs, and I wonder if they were ever hit up for money before the t.v. deal and Lawson got his job.

The noise, the mess, the parents lack of parenting, the skirts, the lack of jobs, and I wonder if they were ever hit up for money before the t.v. deal and Lawson got his job.

Oh, I would guarantee they did. Gil freely admitted last season that friends and family members have pitched in to cover the kids' braces, so it's not a stretch to assume his parents have helped them financially. The Bateseseseses are a much prettier, more palatable version of the Duggars, but Gil is every bit as grifty as JimBob. Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

I like the fact that if you check out their website, it contains a little profile of each child (and their family, if applicable) and actually lists their strengths and tidbits of facts about them.  What a breath of fresh air that they actually know each kid individually and celebrate their differences.  Not that they are not still strange in their own fundie way, but they come across as much more real and down to earth than the clown car family.

• Love 3

I finally got to watch this show because I now have access to the channel and I've suddenly realized how shallow I am. Now I'm not saying I agree with much of what they stand for but holy crap, Gil picked the most beautiful men for his daughters! I would whip on a skirt for Chad.

I'm really interested in their extended family dynamics. There's a lot of personality going on there. Mama Jane sure didn't mince words and I know where she stands, but I found it interesting that Papa Bill said he and Zach have "a lot to talk about" because Zach is more serious minded.

Overall, I like this family more than that other one. They're cut from the same cloth but I guess I like shiny things.

Responding to the bolded parts...

I assumed that the boys thought, "Oh, road trip to Nashville!  That will be fun.  Michaella (sp.?) has her eye on one particular dress, so she'll try it on, get it, and we'll go out to lunch!"  Plus, I think some of them love being on camera (Lawson, Carlin, I'm looking at you two...), so that might have factored into it as well.  

I actually don't love Janie.  Although, I guess I can appreciate that she's honest and doesn't try to fake it for the cameras, but still.... it made me uncomfortable that everyone -- even the kids -- knew that their grandmother was super stressed about them being there and would be thrilled when they left.  Good for Gil, Kelly, et al. that they just accept it and can laugh about it, but I would have felt a little hurt about it if I was them.  

I agree... and why don't they call her Grandma or something similar?? It just seems odd that she openly hates everyone being there yet they seem to have these family gatherings pretty often.  Even the kids know they can't even go inside.  They all don't seem to take it too seriously which I guess is good but she seems like a grumpy grandma to me.

I give her a huge pass. She's elderly and I bet most of her days are quiet and peaceful. When the kids come, it's non-stop action around the house which can be overwhelming. It's a lot to deal with at once and it's not like this is the kind of family where the kids use 'inside voices'. So yeah, grandma has a right to not be overjoyed when everyone visits.

I don't know... I get that to a point.. but they are your family members and nice ones at that AND they all seem very helpful.  They aren't mean people, there's no reason to shun them. 

Our family gatherings were always at my grandparents house which is pretty small.  And there were about 30 people each gathering.  Never did my grandparents ever complain about stuffing that many people in their house.  The guys filled the living room, the women sat around the table.  The kids played inside or out, depending on the weather... 

Now my grandma is alone in a nursing home and whenever we visit it's more like 15 of us now when the 'big' group gets together but she boasts to the nurses there about all her family that comes and see her.  

I would hate to feel like I was an inconvenience to my grandma. 

• Love 4

Yeah, Janie doesn't do much to hide the fact that she hates having the family come visit. What I don't understand is why they don't have some of the younger kids stay at Gil's sister's. It would lessen the load on Janie and keep the most rambunctious members of the family out of her hair.

• Love 1

I don't know, I think you can be a loving grandmother and still be annoyed when an army of kids creates chaos in your home. Some people just really need calmness and order, and even well-behaved kids are gonna be loud and accidentally break things. I see now why Mama Jane and Alyssa are two peas in a pod.

• Love 2

I think it's unreasonable or at least impolite to expect others to be accommodating because you chose ( or you think God chose) for you to have so many children. And it's irresponsible to ask family to chip in to pay for your kids' needs because they chose to have fewer kids so they have more money. That's just self centered and arrogant. It might not seem like it but I do actually like the Bates family but I don't agree with them on a lot-most things.

• Love 5

Gil had family and friends pitch in for the braces? WTF? That is so tacky. If the children had craniofacial issues that affected chewing/swallowing, I could understand the braces, but honestly, it looks like the braces were more of a cosmetic fix than a necessity. I know their finances are questionable as Lawson has said he's provided loans to his family members, like Erin for her college education. I personally would not want to rely on a child to supplement my earnings, especially if I chose to have nearly 20 children. I wonder who is paying the tuition for the other two Bates children who are in college.

I don't know, I think you can be a loving grandmother and still be annoyed when an army of kids creates chaos in your home. Some people just really need calmness and order, and even well-behaved kids are gonna be loud and accidentally break things. I see now why Mama Jane and Alyssa are two peas in a pod.

Exactly. I just don't see how Janie is a bad person or bad grandmother for not wanting 21+ people in her home at once. She repeatedly said she misses the kids when they aren't there. If the Bates have such an issue with Janie, they can stop visiting. They clearly don't care that much and find it funny, so I wouldn't waste time being offended on their behalf. The kids are loud and when you're used to living on a peaceful farm 24/7, it can be jarring and frustrating. One of the girls (Tori?) said Janie's house is very small in the first place so that's why Janie prefers everyone stay outside. Even Kelly admitted they are more in the way when they go visit than a help...so yeah. Kelly also said that every year, the family breaks the hammock. It's not okay to go to grandma's house and break her items. I feel for Janie. She seems like a sweetheart who just gets overwhelmed when they are too many people in her home, like the average person.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 6

That's a lot of people to contend with - there are a lot of meals, lots of growing boys who eat an enormous amount, bathroom schedules, noise, clean up etc.  When my grands and their parents come to visit it is 5 people and they are not destructive but it turns us upside down. Worth it for us, but, always a sigh of relief when they leave.  Can't imagine that many more people coming, as much as you love them.  It wouldn't make for a good TV show, but do they ever visit in smaller groups?

• Love 1

Gil picked the most beautiful men for his daughters!

Did he pick their husbands?  I haven't seen many of the Bates' shows, so I really don't know the relationship/courtship stories, but one of the parents said something in this show that made me believe the children chose their own spouses, unless the statement was about the son and his wife.  In what little I have seen of this family, they do seem to allow their children a bit more freedom in their life choices, trusting that they have instilled the proper family values that will lead them to make the right choices.