Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Season 6, Episode 1

I thought the Mrs Hughes/Mrs Patmore and Mrs Patmore/Mr Carson scenes were awesome. Bravo to the actors for doing so much with facial expressions and minimal dialog. (And I'm pretty sure the "Mrs" was an honorary title for the senior women on the staff.)

I see that despite all the publicity junkets that Alan Leech was on here in the U.S., it looks like Branson really did go to Boston.

• Love 5

Bates and Anna are done with Mr. Greene, but now it seems like they are going to put the 'period' in 'period drama'. Oy vey. Enough with those two.

Joining in with all the other hosannas that the Greene story is over! Terminal boredom! But Fellowes and the others must think the Anna is charming when she's in tears, since now she and Bates are having trouble staying pregnant. Give us a break and let them be happy and low-key.

And Daisy! I've always detested her as a brat who is overprotected by Mrs. Patmore, her father-in-law, Mr. Molesley, and most everyone else (come to think of it). She was right to try to improve herself with math lessons and further education, but "a little learning is a dangerous thing," as Alexander Pope wrote. Daisy quickly assumed that her education made her kitchen maid opinions unassailable, and gave her the boldness to lecture the wealthy new owner of the neighboring country house in public.  Ironically, she was then protected again, so her inappropriate and rude behavior was rewarded.

• Love 5

I still enjoy the show, if only because it's really beautiful and the production value is so much higher than most soaps I'm usually happy to just stare at the costumes and sets.

I think Edith looks fantastic, and has lost most of her drenched cat-ness of earlier seasons. Seems to me she's the modern woman taking control of her life that show wants us to believe Mary is.

I can do without nice Thomas; it makes me uncomfortable. Give me back unapologetically evil Thomas, please.

I really enjoyed the scenes with Mrs. Hughes/Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Patmore/Mr. Carson, but that's 100% because of the skill of the actors. I could really do without this love storyline. I like romantic Carson as much as I like nice Thomas, which is to say not at all. I could actually get into a "we're both of a certain age, wouldn't it be nice to not die alone" marriage storyline for Carson and Mrs. Hughes, but this true love thing is a little too saccharine for my tastes.

• Love 9

I need to watch the show again but I was a little disappointed.

I agree that Laura Carmichael looks better than ever in this season.  The costume/hair and make-up people over the past few years have really made her into a beauty.  She looks better than Mary right now.

I don't care about Carson and Mrs. Hughes the way everyone else does.  I wasn't blown away when he proposed, but that is me. And I certainly didn't want to think about them having sex...I kind of thought this was a dumb storyline tonight. 

In regards to the staff at Downton Abbey, in one of the books on Downtown they mention how many footmen there would have been in the house (Highclare Castle) in it's heyday.  I need to look back but I think it was between 10 and 15.  The book also mentioned how many of the other staff we never see (gardeners, dairy farmers, meat farmers, laundry, etc.).  The number of staff was huge. I wish that was made more clear in the show.

I didn't like the blackmail storyline either but it's glad it is not being strung out.

I dislike Denka so much I was so happy when Violet said she would miss her. Then there was the backpedal from Violet.  I was so disappointed.

Can't wait for next week...we can only go up from here.

• Love 3

Laura Carmichael is gorgeous. Her hairdos alone have made her look ugly, now that she has a decent one, she's beautful... And beautiful in a way that the English love, the whole English rose blonde and pink cheeks thing. I always found it implausible that when she was nursing those poor wounded officers, all men of her class, none of them proposed to her.

I like watching kind Thmas, maybe because I've been doing the PBS binge and it's tiresome watching Thomas be out and proud and ungrateful to the Bateses etc. I did like his affection for little Sybbie and ratting on Nanny West (Though she was a bit bonkers of a character... Not ordering an egg as abuse?) so I love seeing him actually like the kids. It makes his character make sense.

I loved that Daisy also yelled at the owner for not keeping the wedding present mr. Mason spent half a crown on, and that even the owner felt a little ashamed when he told Robert maybe they sold some things they shouldn't....

As for conceiving at 30, it wasn't any harder then than now. Conception worked the same way. Then as now, it can be harder to conceive a first baby older, but women with many children often went on having them into their Kate forties. Thomas Cromwells mother was supposedly 50 when she had him.

I thought it was strongly implied that she'd had a few miscarriages. I was screaming at the set, see a gynecologist! See a gynecologist! I mean Mary saw one.. . Just confide in Mary and she'll give you a name. I REALLY don't want another season of im not good enough for you mr bates and soulful I'll love you forever.

I miss Rose. Rewatched the episode with the handsome gardener she met at a tea dance. She was so sunny. Nobody on the estate now can be called sunny.

I too am glad the blackmail thing came and went because its a retread. And Robert while annoyed seemed to react appropriately, she's a widow, they were both unmarried, it would have been a scandal that would have come and gone. Similarly I never understood why it took so long for Edith to just claim her child. Her title and money are assured, she doesn't have a big social circle, what difference does it make really? Move to London Edith!

We never saw a dead gregson body. Could he reappear?

I thought Carson and Hughes were sweet (and the virgin at 50 comment pretty ugly and ageist, not to mention that both of them are clearly characters in their 60s, at least). But she's always seemed so much more worldly before it seemed a little out of character.

Mrs. patmore was hilarious and did seem to find the question puzzling.

Sack Denker.

• Love 3

I too am glad the blackmail thing came and went because its a retread. And Robert while annoyed seemed to react appropriately, she's a widow, they were both unmarried, it would have been a scandal that would have come and gone. Similarly I never understood why it took so long for Edith to just claim her child. Her title and money are assured, she doesn't have a big social circle, what difference does it make really? Move to London Edith!

That's not the same thing at all. Mary's tryst would only be a nine day's wonder. If Edith acknowledged her illegitimate daughter, it would't just go away. Most of all it would damage *Marigold* who would be called ugly names. The attitudes began to change only in the late 60ies.

Of course it would have better for Edith to move to London even if she had continued to present Marigold as her ward, but as the show happens in Downton, she had to stay there.

• Love 1

I just wish someone would have been like: "Denker, just remember your job security is tied to the continued good health of an 80 or 90-something year old woman, so perhaps you shouldn't act so high and mighty with the other staff about their job status." 

I'd like to see Edith finally stick it to Mary.

Didn't Edith already stick it to Mary when she informed the Turkish Embassy about Mary's tryst all those seasons ago? 

• Love 4

Oh this show. So beautiful to look at, so irritating at times.

Robert sounded like a perfect fool, comparing his number of servants with the other guy's number of servants. If it once took 15 housemaids and now they have four, the problem isn't whether it matches the neighbors number, but whether or not those four are being worked to death.

One thing hasn't changed, Mary can still do no wrong in Robert's eyes. Mary shacked up with someone in a hotel? That must prove she's qualified to become an estate agent! Reward time! Maybe if Mary had thought of the '50 pounds in exchange for a confession,' solution it would have shown some cleverness, but she was just refusing to pay while dreading the consequences. Consequences which, like the Pamuk event, would have embarrassed all of them. A smart girl wouldn't have gone to a posh hotel for her trial run in the first place, when there are little isolated cottages all over England.

If Mrs. Hughes couldn't talk to her fiancé about sexual expectations, why did she think Mrs. Patmore would want to talk to her boss about it? I felt sad for Mrs. P when she had to listen to Carson's lovely speech about how beautiful he thought Mrs. Hughes was and how much he loved her. That would have been a sweet scene if it was directed at the right person.

I understand Daisy's upset, but that's just the deal when you're a tenant. My parents were tenant farmers when I was a child, and like Mason our farm was sold and we had to move. I'm not saying it was fun, but it wasn't the end of the world. Frankly, unless you're the owner, the final say isn't yours. That's true whether talking about a farm, house, or job. It doesn't make the owners evil.

Right. Here in Ohio people are having to sell farms their families have actually owned for generations and nobody screamed at the buyers. Daisy may have read a few textbooks, but she's still as illogical as when she hated the other housemaid because the boy Daisy liked, liked her.

I hope this episode was just meant to wrap up old stories and we get to move on now.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 19

Right. Here in Ohio people are having to sell farms their families have actually owned for generations and nobody screamed at the buyers. Daisy may have read a few textbooks, but she's still as illogical as when she hated the other housemaid because the boy Daisy liked, liked her.

And the tenants like Mr Mason being kicked off their property in this story have worked their farms for generations - the tenancy was handed down from father to son, just as a freehold would be. That was Daisy's point: that the farmers who'd worked that land (and kept the estate afloat) for generations were being turned out without any consideration, all the fuss was over how sad it was for the family to have to downsize without regard for the tenants losing their livelihoods, with far less to fall back on. She just went about it in all the wrong ways.

• Love 5

I'm not saying it wasn't hard for the tenant farmers, just that they had less reason to expect to stay on the farm forever than owners did. That's one reason so many Europeans immigrated to America -- so they could own their own farms. Of course, it was sad whether they owned or rented, but that doesn't make the man who was having to sell out his estate a terrible person who deserved to be yelled at in public on a day that would have been humiliating enough for him. If only the poorest deserve sympathy, well, Daisy's father-in-law had a few hired men. Why not yell at the him for letting them go?

• Love 5

To me, it felt more like a palate cleanser than a season opener.  Not that I'm not grateful - REALLY hoping the show makes good on the promise to never see blackmailing chambermaid again, and I was ready to break out the wine myself at the latest Bates murder drama finally being over.  I guess there are still plenty of plots getting started:  Bates fertility drama (because why would we want to see Anna happy?), the looming prospect of possible downsizing, the Violet v. Isobel hospital smackdown, Edith maybe moving to London, and so forth.  Maybe I'm just used to big crazy soap opera plots on this show, but even though quite a bit was set up here, it didn't feel like much of anything.  That said, I think I'll take some more low-key storylines instead of overwrought insanity or dud plot threads dragged out over multiple years.

Re:  Thomas, I prefer nice-ish Thomas to evil Thomas, but I'd like him to still have a little bite.  I tend to enjoy Thomas best when he uses his scheming powers for good, like when he got Nanny West ousted (though his motives there were more self-centered - the fact that she really was terrible was kind of incidental) or when he helped Andy with Denker in the last Christmas special.  Also, was anyone else bracing themselves for characters to imply that it wasn't "right" for him to be playing with the children, especially George?  I suppose I shouldn't have worried, since the show tends to pull its punches with homophobia, but I was dreading it all the same.

• Love 1

Joanne is 36 as 1979 is listed as her birth year - the same year as me!

She looked 60 years old last night, with the horrendous wig and no color on her face. I had to brace myself for the inevitable Bates melodrama  - not one but two murders! and now no babies. I suppose we will be subjected to the melodrama for most of the remaining episodes. Ugh.

I liked that the script reminded us that unmarried female servants often went to their graves without sex. Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Hughes referenced being virgins. Kind of like schoolteachers who were not expected to marry or have sex. A realistic but depressing note in the script.

The clothing continues to be extraordinary. Even Mrs. Hughes' dark blue silk was lustrous and rich in the lamplight.

I wonder if production piggybacked off an actual fox hunt.

Thomas and Mary can compete for who has the palest skin. I think Thomas wins.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7

Adding Mrs. Patmore into those Carson/Mrs. Hughes scenes was genius.  Poignant and hilarious at the same time.

I'm so over Anna and Bates that I literally couldn't remember who she was accused of killing.  The only person who came to mind was Bates' ex-wife.

I still hate Edith, but she wasn't around enough to really bother me in this one.

And like Carson, there is nothing Mary could ever do that I would condemn her for.   She's been my favorite since day one, and I hope she gets a great ending.

• Love 2

I think Robert was referring to Mary not allowing herself to be blackmailed and willing to accept the consequences when he commented she was tough and could run the estate.  And really he's had one daughter who married the chauffeur, another one bedded a man she just met and then he died in her bed, and the third one has an illegitimate child so why should he be shocked that Mary spent a week with Tony.  Surprised maybe but not shocked.

Edith has a flat in London and owns a magazine yet she can't decide what to do.  I tell you what I'd like you to do --- MOVE far far away so I don't have to see or hear your sad sack woe is me routine any more.

Bring back Sybbie - George and Marigold are just no substitute for her.

As always it's worth watching just for the clothes.

• Love 6

There wasn't a thing in the world wrong with Mrs. Hughes saying "warts and all". It's a famous quote and at that time no one would have thought of genital warts. Freely talking about STDs is a very late 20th century/21st century thing and it would never be something even mentioned in the polite society of the period.

I guess my age allows me to really enjoy the Mrs. Hughes-being-nervous-about-sex story. Yes, there were (and still are a few) 50 year old virgins with the same feelings of wonder as a 20 year old. Granny and Grandad really do have sex. 

Love Mrs. Patmore. What a wonderful thing to do for a friend.

Loved Robert asking, "is this the refrigerator" and helping himself to the leftover chicken.

I loved the scene too. And surely most younger viewers know people in their sixties (widowed or divorced) who find true and deep and passionate love). Most people find it endearing and optimistic in a cynical world, I think. 

• Love 10
Robert sounded like a perfect fool, comparing his number of servants with the other guy's number of servants. If it once took 15 housemaids and now they have four, the problem isn't whether it matches the neighbors number, but whether or not those four are being worked to death.

That's what I was thinking!  I generally like Robert, but does he really not understand the implications of "Well, no one has 5 housemaids anymore.  It just isn't done"?  Violet, of all people, got it when she asked if it really worth putting that many people out of work just because having so many servants isn't fashionable anymore.  I know that Robert remarked that the wages were much higher, but the house ain't getting any smaller, so unless he and Mary are going to start washing windows, those poor souls left are going to have to work even more hours in a day to get it all done.  I guess eventually they will have to start closing up some rooms.

I will say, though, that I love the looks on the faces of the Upstairs faction when confronted with anything that doesn't conform to "the way its always been."  When Carson tells Robert that one of the staff got another job because her fiancee wanted to spend evenings with her, he looked so very confused.  And I actually loved the cheek of the blackmailer.  Yes, she was awful, but it was worth it just to see the utter apoplexy of Carson, Mary and the rest, at just how little respect the blackmailer was showing them.  I would love a little more of that. 

• Love 10

I'm not sure why the blackmailer thought she had anything. Mary wasn't married. Tony wasn't married. Anyhow, I like to think she tried to blackmail Tony first and he was like "Moron! I wasn't married or even engaged to Mabel, so don't try to blackmail me. And don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out."

• Love 2

One thing hasn't changed, Mary can still do no wrong in Robert's eyes. Mary shacked up with someone in a hotel? That must prove she's qualified to become an estate agent! Reward time!

Yes, we loved that one, too when it aired in the UK, LOL. So stupid!

I hated the Hughes/Carson storyline. I felt uncomfortable for Mrs Patmore and Mrs Hughes and really for everyone involved. Urgh.

Thomas and George was cute.

I laughed when we were mere minutes into the show and Anna was already crying! LOL

• Love 1

There wasn't a thing in the world wrong with Mrs. Hughes saying "warts and all". It's a famous quote and at that time no one would have thought of genital warts. Freely talking about STDs is a very late 20th century/21st century thing and it would never be something even mentioned in the polite society of the period.

I guess my age allows me to really enjoy the Mrs. Hughes-being-nervous-about-sex story. Yes, there were (and still are a few) 50 year old virgins with the same feelings of wonder as a 20 year old. Granny and Grandad really do have sex. 

Love Mrs. Patmore. What a wonderful thing to do for a friend.

Loved Robert asking, "is this the refrigerator" and helping himself to the leftover chicken.

But why would it be better for Mrs. P to talk with Carson about Mrs. H's errr..."status?"  I'd think that it'll be even MORE uncomfortable/improper? 

• Love 2

I must say Lord and Lady Grantham are pretty cool about both their thirty-something daughters staying single. No nagging or hints like 'You're not getting any younger' or even any attempt to matchmake.

Not a suprise they don't nag Mary - she *was* married, she did produce an heir, and then was actively dating men. Aside from Mary wanting a companion, there's really no pressure for her to marry quickly . She's already performed and isn't actively disdaining the idea of remarriage.

And Edith... why would they bother now when she's damaged goods when they didn't bother before?

Lord Grantham's not in a position to nag Edith about anything given his constant concern trolling when Edith and Anthony Strallan were engaged. Aside from Sir Anthony himself, Lord G is the person most responsible for busting-up that prospective marriage. Edith had a chance, and Lord G did everything he could to blow it.

• Love 5

As usual Mrs. Patmore brings hilarity to absolutely everything and they certainly gave her the funniest material possible.  Downing that glass of Port like a shot of 1800 was the point at which I was laughing aloud.  Still, it was a sweet story, for all the comedic setup. 

I understand Daisy's upset, but that's just the deal when you're a tenant. My parents were tenant farmers when I was a child, and like Mason our farm was sold and we had to move. I'm not saying it was fun, but it wasn't the end of the world.

There's also at least a little bit of pressure taken off of someone when they can just give notice, pack up and leave, but mostly Daisy's strident outburst was so out of place because the man's a widower, with no children except for occasionally visiting Daisy and leaving that farm was in the cards soon anyway.   He's got no one to take it over and unless the poor man wants to end his days face down in a cow patty, he'd be giving up that farm within the next five years or so anyway.   Daisy's fit was peculiar because her former-father-in-law was nowhere near upset and seemed rather "These are breaks" about it all. 

Oh goody.  Another season about how Anna's lady parts are actually just extensions of Mr. Bates' unending angst, sometimes imposed on him by his wife when he's forgotten to be too up in her lady-part-grille.   I love Anna, and I adore the actress but I will callously admit that the first laugh I got out of the show last night was when Anna is trudging up the stairs, quietly sobbing, looking like some ghoulish presence was draining the life-blood out of her, starting with her hair, lips all atremble. Sweet lords of mercy, the unending story of the Bates misery was only going to switch ponies from murder trial to failing fertility.  I wish they'd let them get drunk and dance the can-can or something because good grief with the dismal. 

But in cheerier news the costume people now dress to Laura Carmichael's strengths and she looks lovely. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 13

Enough with the Bates' family drama du jour.  FFS, just stop it, Julian.   Do police officers usually join in on family celebrations when a person is cleared of murder?  Am I crazy or was the policeman dancing with somebody in the kitchen?  

If only all murders were solved by the guilty party feeling bad somebody else was taking the rap, cough cough Making a Murderer. 

And it wouldn't be Downton Abbey if Mary wasn't being threatened because of her sex life.   But Papa says it's all cool, and her ability to catch a dick and the world not finding out about it it will make her an awesome overseer of the Estate.   Mary, the good news is at least this time it wasn't your sister threatening to blab. 

As usual, the only enjoyable moment came when the Dowager Countess took Denker out at the knees.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 7

I was hoping Anna would tell Thomas about the blackmailing wench and he'd let loose one of his schemes.  Oh well, maybe next time we can get some Thomas drama!

And I agree, the clothes are incredible as usual.  

• Love 1

I was hoping Anna would tell Thomas about the blackmailing wench and he'd let loose one of his schemes.  Oh well, maybe next time we can get some Thomas drama!

Why would Anna who has always been loyal to Mary and covered her secrets (including Pamuk) suddenly begin reveal them? If she ever told anybody, Thomas is the least likely person she would choose.

• Love 3

So one of the things I enjoy in that "let's just go with it, because it makes for wonderfully overblown drama" is how everyone involved pretends that the ruination of Mary's reputation is something that is perpetually in the offing.  Like she didn't nearly have to marry meanie Jorah-Mormont-Newspaper-Dude because pretty much everyone had gotten wind that something untoward had occurred.   

Or that maybe people might have taken note that she'd married Matthew after a veritable Victorian circus worth of handwringing and virginal women dying of grief/the Spanish Flu because of Mary's wanton ways and Matthew's wandering lips.   

Or that anyone would really give two shits that Mary shacked up with another man for a week.  She's a widow, who has already produced an heir to an estate -- during a time when social change had begun to creep in -- oh and pretty much all the young men of her class were dead from a bad case of the Great Wars and despondency afterward.   

It truly charms and amuses me that the show tries to deploy some sort of confusion spell every season and pretend that the biggest thing plaguing the landed gentry are perceptions of people like Mary's purity.  Oh sure, that's what would draw focus.   

Blackmailing Schemer in her Face-Framing Hat cracked me up because she'd missed a few "Oh please, girlfriend had to help port a dead body out of her bedroom when she was just out of her teen years, screwing someone who wasn't married either when everyone knew she wasn't a virgin is hardly on the first page of the list of things Mary or the Crawleys fret about."   

Between Mary's reputation, Sybill marrying the help and poor Edith getting stranded at the actual altar, mid-wedding-ceremony the Reputation Horse has most certainly left the barn.  After the nag burned that barn to the actual foundation, by the way, Fetching Hat.  She's lucky she got cab fair home, let alone fifty quid. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 15
So one of the things I enjoy in that "let's just go with it, because it makes for wonderfully overblown drama" is how everyone involved pretends that the ruination of Mary's reputation is something that is perpetually in the offing.  Like she didn't nearly have to marry meanie Jorah-Mormont-Newspaper-Dude because pretty much everyone had gotten wind that something untoward had occurred.

I think part of, or all of the problem is that Julian Fellowes wishes it was still 1912. Like in real life.  

• Love 14

If this had been a Season 1 episode the show would never have caught on.  Just the same old same old but now sped up, as if they're going through the motions.  Why a blackmailer, for example, would happily trespass onto the estate, threaten Mary, and then sign an incriminating confession for 50 quid is beyond me.  But it was wrapped up quickly and neatly and that's the end of that.  

Daisy should have been fired on the spot but instead it's just a thing.  The Bateses should find something new to do with their lives but instead their backstory was neatly wrapped up.  Everybody else has tension with somebody or another but none of it's particularly important.  

The lead actors know their characters very well and it's always nice to watch them do their thing.  But for me, this felt like eye candy for the hard core fans.  Nobody's going to be won over to this show watching this stuff.  

• Love 4

The horses! The Clothes! The vistas! The vocabulary! The furniture and smalls! Sigh..

Edith did look golden, but Mary in jodhpurs and bob was the best. Love her lack of self pity when she fell.

Edited by whatsatool
  • Love 8

They found Gregson's remains in Germany.  That is when Edith had a visit from his lawyer.

Is there any chance they were someone else's remains in his coat, like a recent scifi top grossing movie? We still haven't seen a body...

I loved the scene too. And surely most younger viewers know people in their sixties (widowed or divorced) who find true and deep and passionate love). Most people find it endearing and optimistic in a cynical world, I think.

Agreed. Scorn and disgust at this truly appal me. Similarly in the recent Star Wars why thbe fuck couldn't Han kiss his wife. Is it that upsetting to see people with wrinkles kiss?

I'm not sure why the blackmailer thought she had anything. Mary wasn't married. Tony wasn't married. Anyhow, I like to think she tried to blackmail Tony first and he was like "Moron! I wasn't married or even engaged to Mabel, so don't try to blackmail me. And don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out."

Yeah, she could have proved nothing even if her register and story about what she saw were sold. The register had their names in different rooms after all.

As usual Mrs. Patmore brings hilarity to absolutely everything and they certainly gave her the funniest material possible.  Downing that glass of Port like a shot of 1800 was the point at which I was laughing aloud.  Still, it was a sweet story, for all the comedic setup. 

There's also at least a little bit of pressure taken off of someone when they can just give notice, pack up and leave, but mostly Daisy's strident outburst was so out of place because the man's a widower, with no children except for occasionally visiting Daisy and leaving that farm was in the cards soon anyway.   He's got no one to take it over and unless the poor man wants to end his days face down in a cow patty, he'd be giving up that farm within the next five years or so anyway.   Daisy's fit was peculiar because her former-father-in-law was nowhere near upset and seemed rather "These are breaks" about it all. 

Oh goody.  Another season about how Anna's lady parts are actually just extensions of Mr. Bates' unending angst, sometimes imposed on him by his wife when he's forgotten to be too up in her lady-part-grille.   I love Anna, and I adore the actress but I will callously admit that the first laugh I got out of the show last night was when Anna is trudging up the stairs, quietly sobbing, looking like some ghoulish presence was draining the life-blood out of her, starting with her hair, lips all atremble. Sweet lords of mercy, the unending story of the Bates misery was only going to switch ponies from murder trial to failing fertility.  I wish they'd let them get drunk and dance the can-can or something because good grief with the dismal. 

But in cheerier news the costume people now dress to Laura Carmichael's strengths and she looks lovely.

This made me laugh so hard about how anything that happens to Anna become s all a out Bateses manpain and ability to show how good he is.

Still annoyed at all throught the rape saga, tell him. Or not, who is it, nobody ever thought about how dangerous a man Gillingham was to let loose.

Of course the whole way he was presented, seductive and charming, says more to date rape than punch and violent assault, just hard to buy.

But yes I'm really tired OT the bates drama.

And edith looks gorgeous at last. Because she is.

• Love 3

OK so it wasn't just me who noticed Anna's weird hair and makeup!

I guess I may be in a severe minority here about Spratt and Denker (whom I usually don't care for on my TV)--but I found Spratt particularly amusing last night. DON'T JUDGE. I cannot recall seeing the actor in anything else but he seemed to be summoning a distinct kind of comedic acting chops in a couple of scenes. His facial expressions are great.

*LURVED* Mrs. Patmore and Carson, part II: I totally teared up at that.

Daisy! NO. I had to watch her (righteous) indignation scene at the auction through my fingers. ARGH. However, I like Mr. Mason and the actor who portrays him so I hope this story arc means we get to see more of him.

• Love 4
Why would Anna who has always been loyal to Mary and covered her secrets (including Pamuk) suddenly begin reveal them? If she ever told anybody, Thomas is the least likely person she would choose.

I might be wrong, but isn't Thomas also kind of loyal to Mary?  I vaguely recall they have a decent relationship with each other to the point that I don't think Thomas would betray her. 

• Love 1

I might be wrong, but isn't Thomas also kind of loyal to Mary?  I vaguely recall they have a decent relationship with each other to the point that I don't think Thomas would betray her.

To whom Thomas has ever been loyal? Who started runmours about Pamuk (they circulated long before Edith's unfamous letter)?

Thomas was the the one who led Pamuk to Mary's bedroom.

Thomas's loyalties have always run more towards Sybil, I think because Sybil and Thomas helped nurse a lieutenant on whom Thomas had a crush. Later, when Sybbie's nanny was mistreating her, Thomas used his evil powers for good, which resulted in the nanny being fired.

• Love 5

It feels very awkward watching Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes romance each other. And boring. I know we are supposed to cheer for Daisy but that girl sure was an idiot in this episode.

My favorite parts of the episode were Violet dealing with with the obnoxious Denker and Robert dealing very smartly with Mary's blackmailer.  And Robert with the refrigerator. So funny.

One tedious Bates story line finally concluded, more angst coming. Oh goody.

• Love 2

Lord Merton: I'm so glad we are in agreement.

Isobel: Keep it in your pants, Dickie.

When it's over for Isobel, it's over. She's not any nicer to Dr. Clarkson now either, despite the delicate way she turned down his marriage proposal.

Robert rooting around in the refrigerator made me wonder how difficult it was, in general, for the upper classes to snack. If I had to ring for a servant every time I wanted some cheese and crackers, that would quickly get embarrassing.

Even though I've been led to believe that a house doesn't drop on Edith at any point during the season, I'll continue to watch anyway.

• Love 9

Robert rooting around in the refrigerator made me wonder how difficult it was, in general, for the upper classes to snack. If I had to ring for a servant every time I wanted some cheese and crackers, that would quickly get embarrassing.

I wonder if they didn't really snack much.  They'd just wait it off until the next meal.

I know we are supposed to cheer for Daisy but that girl sure was an idiot in this episode.

I highly doubt that. Julian Fellows hates the lower classes overstepping their bounds. Only the grateful and loyal servants are the servants that get rewarded. The loud and angry ones are either mellowed into strong supporters (Tom Branson) or suffer (Ethel, Thomas).

• Love 6

I was perfectly happy to accept a rapport between Carson and Hughes without much detail about the actual relationship. Cutely romantic and private worked for me. And now, I'm going to feel uncomfortable every time I see them together on screen. Because being a post-menopausal virgin means the wedding night is not going to be much fun for Hughes, unless Carson is far more experienced (or educated by a doctor in advance?) than he's been portrayed as being. And I resent having that unpleasant image imposed on me by the stupid script.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 8

I laughed when we were mere minutes into the show and Anna was already crying! LOL

I didn't understand her distress over the miscarriage.  If I were facing life imprisonment or possible hanging, a baby would be the last thing I would want.  I'm so sick of those two.

• Love 3