Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Hourglass Sandbox

• Start Topic

Phew.  Survived the coffin ride from TWoP over here to PoWT (or MelaTWoP, if you prefer).  Can't wait to see who else Marlena, er Andre, er NBC Universal is going to send this way...

• Love 8

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on the TWOP Soap forums for quite some time, having the time of my online life reading all the funny and smart posts, and saw today that TWOP was ending.  And I saw the suggestion to register here.  So I thought it was time to come out of the shadows.  Days is a recent find for me - about a year and a half - and a show I enjoy very much.

So it's nice to be in a place to read about it, enjoy the snark and post!

• Love 1

Fellow former TWoP'er also...Same username.  I used to post more when I watched but basically stopped when they killed off Jack again.  I do lurk to "keep up" with all the  lightening fast month-days.  I hope others follow here and retain the spirit.

• Love 1

Hi all! 

I'm from TWoP too.  Never posted in the Days thread, just lurked and giggled.  I was always so happy to see I wasn't the only one who didn't like certain characters that we're all supposed to love so much.  Been watching Days since I was a girl - my mom watched so we did too!  I've been so close to not watching anymore but after more years than I care to share, it's not an easy decision.  Finding the TWoP boards has kept me watching thanks to all the laughs I get from it. 

I hope the conversations will continue over here.

DOOL is such a big topic to discuss.  I've watched the show on and off for years.  Right now it seems things are in a holding pattern until sweeps arrives. Bits are showing up about the Wilson wedding which is nice.  I have to say I haven't taken to GW as Will though. Maybe I am just missing CM, though he could be uneven at times, he had onscreen charisma.  I miss him.

Love Theresa, though I don't agree with some of the dialogue about her upbringing.  Makes no sense.  JL is lovely and she is much more enjoyable with the older characters.  Would love for the two black sheep, Theresa and Brady to fall in love.

So looking forward to the reveal of EJ's affair.  Hope the writers do it justice.

It may be unpopular but I do not like Nicole and Eric.  He is so boring with her and she is acting insecure and desperate.  Not a good look for a love story.

Blake Berris is a good actor but it seems overkill to have Nick have all the cards in this story. He should get a shock or two instead of smirking all over town.  He is a criminal even if he is a Horton.

Not a big Daniel fan but I only hate him around Jennifer.  I do hate her. Sad since I used to love her. Don't get me started on the show using Maxine as the everlasting Dannifer propper.  It is so unfair.  Maxine should have a story herself.  She is a quirky and intersting character.

I'm anxious to see how Eve and Kristen shake the show up when they appear, reappear.

Fellow refugee here! Have lurked forever because my brain couldn't retain my credentials at TWoP -- tho I mourn its passing, I'm thankful I can have a do-over over here. 

Me too! Haha. I haven't posted for about 2 years because I couldn't remember my sign in or the email address I used to create it. Happy to be here!

Hi all! Another TWoP refugee here. I grew up watching Days and have a decades-old love-hate relationship with it which, these days, is mostly hate (I'm still pissed that Nicole's redemption went in the shredder), but I can't resist the snark, which is faster than actually watching the show and way more entertaining. I brought Pop-Up Victor along to liven up the party. So glad we have a new home! 

Hi all! Another TWoP refugee here. I grew up watching Days and have a decades-old love-hate relationship with it which, these days, is mostly hate (I'm still pissed that Nicole's redemption went in the shredder), but I can't resist the snark, which is faster than actually watching the show and way more entertaining. I brought Pop-Up Victor along to liven up the party. So glad we have a new home! 

Thanks for the Pop-Up Victor! I agree 100% about Nicole. TPTB just won't let her have nice things. AZ is probably the best actress they have and they're just wasting her.

Cheers, 3dog!

I've watched DOOL for probably 30 years, when the supercouples Patch and Kayla, Bo and Carly, and Jen and Jack lit up the screen. I kind of resent what they've done to the character of Jennifer, but recent storylines also made me realize that it was Jack I loved most. I favor Carly over Hope by a mile, and I'm now hoping Nicole winds up with Dr. Dan -- who I apparently don't find as awful as most everyone else. I think that's because I loved his character on ATWT,.,,,anyway. 

Oh, and I see JJ's new girl as a cross between Winnie Cooper as others have said, and early Elizabeth McGovern circa Ordinary People (such a great movie). 

• Love 2

Phew.  Survived the coffin ride from TWoP over here to PoWT (or MelaTWoP, if you prefer).  Can't wait to see who else Marlena, er Andre, er NBC Universal is going to send this way...

This is why I was so relieved to see a DOOL forum created.  Is this where Cassie has been all along?

What happened to Abe & Kayla? It looked like a budding romance, but now Kayla is interested on Aiden and they're trying to pair Abe with Maxine (who only have their race in common).

It may be unpopular but I do not like Nicole and Eric.

My friend, you are not alone.  One of the worst pairings of all time on any soap.  Poor GV - so very handsome, but so unbelievably dull.  And then we have AZ who is a wonderful comedienne, but is forced to act like the most pathetic, desperate female on the planet.  I would give anything for their awful storyline to end.  And frankly, I think they've ruined Nicole to the extent that I think I would prefer them to kill her off and bring AZ in as another character.

Also, the show needs a lot more Kayla.  A LOT more.

• Love 1
The only time I found Eric interesting was when he was a drugged sex fiend. Where did I leave my dart gun?

I totally agree.  After his drugging, I had a secret fantasy that Father Eric would develop a split personality and become the town stud.  Unfortunately the writers chose a much duller path for Eric.  Now I wish he would just join the monastery already.  I mean, really - he leaves the priesthood for Nicole, but won't have sex with her because they aren't married, but he can't marry her because she's a sinful divorcee.  I don't think he has a lot of options here with her.

• Love 1

The previews they're tossing around of Will and Sonny's wedding look soo pretty.  Though I don't like Gabi's hair (love her dress, though), and Sami is wearing an evening gown instead of a mother of the groom dress.  Guy's look on his face when Will sees Sonny walking down the aisle is so sweet.

Snarkian:

CUTE POST!! I love it!!!

One just has to appreciate those "Riley Days O'Yore"!

Creeping over from TWOP. I have no one in real life to snark on this show with, so glad I can continue here! 

The show is at such a low point right now. Whatever else one could say about over the top stories in the past (Possessed Marlena, I'm looking at you), they were at least entertaining. I'm holding on to hope that once all of the current stories are resolved, something will come along to hold my interest again! If that happens to coincide with more Kayla, I certainly will not be complaining.

I want new writers.  The current ones drag out SLs to the point I no longer care, or they rush through important reveals, and then it's back to everyone treading water.

Once AS leaves, I'm not sure I'll keep watching.

• Love 1

I am so glad they dropped the Abe/Kayla thing. I think it was under the previous writers that it was hinted at and then when they came back from the Olympics with new writers, it was dropped.  It would be way too hard for me to buy that after knowing each other for 20-30 years they finally fell in love. I think not. Plus I can't see Kayla going from a guy like Steve to Abe.  I could get on board with Kayla and Aiden though. They seemed to have a little spark. Clearly, there is none with Hope and Aiden. I hope the writers pick up and move on. Perhaps Hope and Rafe. 

I haven't been watching, but Nicole still has the shredded documents? Jesus, I'm surprised Ciara hasn't gotten her hands on them yet.

She burned them in a trash barrel out in the woods, but Liam followed her out there and watched her stuff the shreds into the barrel.

I loved T's speech at Will and Sonny's bachelor party.  Good for him.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

Greetings to all the TWOPers! I started watching Days with my Mom back in the mid '70s (she started @1967). The first storylines I remember were when Julie was married to Bob Anderson and David, Brooke, Trish and Mike were the young adults. I was a regular viewer til around 1984 when career obligations (and no VCR) forced me to give up my Days, though I read the recaps faithfully in the soap mags. I started watching again when Marlena was possessed (I now had a VCR and that was must see TV for me) and I haven't missed an episode since. There's so much more I could say which I hope to in time to come.

My favorite characters currently are Will & Sonny (though I am bored by most of their storylines), JJ (though he deserves someone more attractive than Rocky "Paige" Dennis), Ciara, Anne, Kate, Liam, Theresa, Maxine and old schoolers Doug, Julie, Maggie and Victor.

I adore Eileen Davidson and can't wait for the return of Kristen.

My least favorite characters currently are Sami, EJ, Abigail and Gabriela. The rest I'm ambivalent about. I also watch every single second. I've never FFed a single moment of any of my soaps. Just the way I am....Thanks for reading!

• Love 1

I wish drunk Brady would just go away! So you got dumped at the alter....big deal...put on your big girl panties and move along. Eric is such a bore to me. Please go to Tibet and live with the monks. EJ and Sammi....either get married or don't. You two are boring me to no end! I do love me some E.J......what a hottie!

Theresa couldn't stop at a drugstore and pick up a pack of gum? That would have been more useful than that picture frame she stole.

They could have just given the whole show to Wilson and company. We didn't need to see Nicole and the rest of those fools.

Why did we have to suffer through that stupid bullshit in Chicago for more than 30 seconds? I'm tired of EJ acting like this. Why is he so afraid to threaten people all of a sudden? Where is the guy who made Adrienne practically pee herself?

Gabi has grown so much since Ari was born? I'm going to assume Sonny told that lie because he was nervous about getting married. If they wanted to pretend Sonny and Gabi are besties they shouldn't have made her so stupid and ridiculous over Nick.

• Love 1

Hi everybody.  I was never a TWoP person.. just have been a Extra Hot Great fan since Mark 1, and followed them over when they started Previously.  But when you all TWoP folks came over I was so happy to see that there are some daytime-soap folks now!  I didn't think there were too many of us on the forums here before your arrival.  I am so glad there are folks to gab with about Days!

So, that said... anybody want to share their Days viewing "history" so I can see who is around?  I'm sorry if that is a dorky question since you all seem to know eachother already.  For me *warning: cute/sad story* I was a CBS soap watcher since the mid-80s, when I was a tween... especially ATWT.  My husband was a Days watcher pretty much all his life - his mom would do the daily timed-VCR recording and watch at night, and he would watch with her when he was a kid.  He stopped watching when he went to college in the early 90s, but she would always keep him up to date with the goings on in Salem via their regular phone calls.  And back then I had gotten us a subscription to Soap Opera Digest so we could keep up with all our soaps, so I had a casual handle on who was who, and what the big plotline were on Days. My mother-in-law passed when she was fairly young, in 2003.  And one of the things my husband said to me in those first weeks after her passing was "now I have no one to tell me what's going on in Salem anymore." Man, that got me so bad!  there's only so much you can help someone who is grieving, but this was a concrete thing I could do, you know?  So I picked up Days.  I don't watch it every day - probably only an hours worth a week.  But I follow along with SOD and online recaps too.  And I always keep on our DVR my favorite "scene of the week" to show him on Fridays.  So if you ever have any "OMG you just have to see this scene - it is so over the top and/or ridiculous and/or touching and/or CRAZY", please recommend via a date/time - I'll be sure to show it to Mike.

• Love 1

I'm glad Carrie didn't make an appearance.

I'm surprised Roman warned Brady not to hurt Theresa.

What was the point of Nicole and Dan?

I always felt that Nicole and Daniel were paired up briefly (in this recent incarnation) to establish a friendship between them.  I like it when any soap shows an unrelated couple of the opposite sex can be just friends. I think it adds depth to the show.