Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: A New Season aka Suck It Cancellation Bear / S02.E02: World’s Best Kiss

The amulet and bad phone call and Isabella locking herself up again were incredibly contrived.

However, on the whole this was the zany escape I was looking forward to.  It's all the little things.  The fortune teller busting out the little paper fortune teller was a good bit.  Richard is still so sweetly clueless.

I'm glad they are doing the two-episode-a-night arrangement this year too.

• Love 4

The misunderstanding thing is beyond lame, but who even cares? Through some miracle, this show is back!

Its just as fun and silly and zany as ever, and I love it 

You have to love a show set in a vaguely medieval world and can still work in a disco number, cell phone reception jokes, and somehow still include a unicorn.

Suck it cancellation bear! 

• Love 12

Jean Hamm!

ABC chickened out by having the singer in The Enchanted Forest a woman.

Love the Game of Thrones references.

"Oddly musty..."

That changing of the guard was really complicated.

Vinnie Jones is having SO much fun.

Richard called his sword "Mister Stabby".  That's what Buffy called the stakes she used to take out vampires.

Love the twists.  Richard with the sword, the castle having gone missing...

• Love 2

I loved John Stamos being back, even if for just a few seconds. Made his line in s1 about Isabella being Galavant's beard way funnier.

Also loved the running amulet gag. This is the first and last time we'll see that amulet.

I would be totally psyched to have a unicorn follow me around, I can't believe Richard wasn't.

The biggest laugh of the night for me, though, was the jesters dramatic fart noise. Great episodes, solid way to start the season.

• Love 5

Why? Gay bars have female entertainers -- Bette Midler got her start in a gay bathhouse. Those pop divas that gay men worship have to come from somewhere.

I laughed out loud several times during the episodes, including Isabella's mother's "spank bank."

• Love 4

I don't think I'd label it as chickening out for the show to feature a gay icon singing a disco number in their pre-Renaissance gay bar - especially when it results in the hot male lead getting stripped to the waist and objectified. Kylie may not be quite as revered here in the US, but in the rest of the world, she's up there with Cher, Madonna and their ilk - and the majority of the gay clubs I've been in heavily emphasize female vocalists over male vocalists in their playlists.

I couldn't stop giggling at how inappropriately appropriate it was for Isabella's pro-incest mother to be so open about having her daughter's true love as a highlight in her own spank bank.

ETA: GMTA, SmithW6079!

Edited by giovannif7
  • Love 9

I don't think it's chickening out.  Plenty of men lusted after Galavant. I think it was a chance for the show to get a guest star, who I believe is considered to be a gay icon, in Kylie Minogue. 

This show makes me very happy.  It's hard to talk about the show because it's mostly about the things I like.  I like Richard and Gal traveling together.  I loved Richard with the unicorn and Richard discovering his Uncle Keith.  Or that the ladies room leads outdoors.  

I think the only thing that bothered me about the miscommunication was that I'm not sure what the point of it was.  Obviously, Isabella is not going to marry her cousin because she doesn't want to.  Will she get another love interest?  Were her parents this bad last year?  Maybe she should have let Richard kill them. 

• Love 4

Oh Galavant. You just make the world a better place. Singing! Dancing! Silly jokes!

I love that no one noticed that Richard grabbed the Hero Sword. Or that no one clued Richard into the fact that it was a gay bar.

I hope Sid was able to sneak away.

• Love 5

Jean Hamm!

Love the Game of Thrones references.

"Oddly musty..."

That changing of the guard was really complicated.

Vinnie Jones is having SO much fun.

Richard called his sword "Mister Stabby". That's what Buffy called the stakes she used to take out vampires.

Love the twists. Richard with the sword, the castle having gone missing...

From what I know through gay friends, Kylie Minogue is quite a gay musical icon--up there with Bette Midler--thus her line in the song about being the "queen of queens". She was a phenomenal choice given the scenario. She is also dating Joshua Sasse, lucky bitch, so I'm sure the two of them enjoyed that number on a distinctly personal level!

Also, Buffy called her stake "mr. pointy."

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 8

So glad this show is back! All of it was great, even the ridiculous miscommunication bit. I'm sad that Isabella gave up so fast.

Kylie Minogue as the singer in a gay pub? How awesome is that! Her songs are on all the time at gay clubs. And didn't know she was dating Joshua- no wonder they were enjoying themselves a little too much in their scene. Can't believe she is almost 50- she looks fantastic.

I really like how they made Richard one of the good guys this season. I hated rooting for him last season because he was so mean to everyone, but I just love Timothy and couldn't help it. The unicorn bit had me rolling- I hope he gets a love interest soon and gets his freak on.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 7

I love this wacky show.  Had to watch it a second time before I could comment. Best song of the night was "Let's Agree to Disagree".  Had me howling.  I did, though, tear up at Isabella's reprise of "World's Best Kiss". 

I have to agree at the contrivance of the botched "call".  I'm not sure what the showrunners were going for in that - poking fun at the trope or if they were, to some extent, in earnest. We'll have to see how it plays out next week because I'd like to think that after she has a chance to sleep on it, Isabella will regain some of her lost hope.

I'm enjoying the buddy roadtrip with Gal & Richard.  I didn't feel like their story was just stalling around. Hopefully I won't feel that way in a couple weeks.

And, I think I'm going to wind up fully on board the #Garalena ship.  There's a surprising chemistry between that duo that I wasn't expecting.

• Love 2

I love this show . . . but . . .

I'm confused.  Last season, Richard and Madalena had conquered Isabelle's parents' kingdom -- Valencia, I believe.  At the end of the season, Isabelle was kidnapped (or at least unwillingly taken) to her "fiance's" kingdom (Hortensia?) and imprisoned in the Barbie Dreamhouse.

So how can Chef and Gwen be in both kingdoms at the same time? In these episodes, we see them both in Madalena's palace and the Barbie Dreamhouse.  What have I missed?

Cracked up at a lot of things, but the biggest laugh for me was the ladies room leading to straight outside. Simplest. Escape. EVER.

Also the visual gag of Gareth's mother's portrait being Vinnie Jones in a dress.

And methinks a unicorn that can sniff out virgins may come in handy later in the season.  (<-- unspoiled speculation)

• Love 5

Apparently Kylie and Joshua were not dating at the time of filming. Galavant is where they met and they started dating afterwards. There was an interview where Kylie discussed it will be interesting to see how the scene works out with people knowing that they are now dating. Will there be little moments that people will think Ah that's the moment they fell in love'

• Love 2

So glad that this show is on again. Richard and Galavant are perfect together. I would love to see the unicorn pop up again because I think it would be great to see Richard with it. Loved Isabellas mom using the term "spank bank". I was so thrilled to see Kylie M. as the singer in the gay bar. Both episodes were "bitchin'" and I can't wait to see what happens next week. 

I think the chef is only in Hortensia and not with the queen (wherever they are).

Chef explains this in the first "call" when Richard asks for him to get Gareth.  They're in Hortensia with Izzy, her parents, the Jester, and Prince Harry.

• Love 2

Remember that the Chef poisoned all the guests at the big feast in Valencia with foods they were allergic to. He and Gwynne had to flee the country!

I figured out exactly what kind of pub the Enchanted Forest was as they walked up to the door thanks to Richard's story about his dad and "Uncle Keith," but it was nice to see it so spectacularly realized what with Kylie and the big disco off-with-his-shirt number and all. And I lost it when Galavant spotted Jean Hamm in the crowd!

Apparently Kylie and Joshua were not dating at the time of filming. Galavant is where they met and they started dating afterwards. There was an interview where Kylie discussed it will be interesting to see how the scene works out with people knowing that they are now dating. Will there be little moments that people will think Ah that's the moment they fell in love'

I'm betting on that moment arriving for Kylie during the first take where they tore Joshua's shirt off in front of her. Dude is looking fine this year!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 6

Having this show back makes me so happy! Aside from my love of musical theater, I really love that it's totally obvious that everyone is having such a great time.

Loved that the fortune teller's big fortune telling technique was using a cootie catcher!

Buffy called her stake "mr. pointy."

Which she got from Kendra! Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

The entire Enchanted Forest scene was so deliciously bawdy - am surprised the Mickey network allowed it to air at 8:00! Uncle Keith! HA!!!! Everyone's wistful/disappointed face when Gal mentioned his one true love was a 'she.' HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What everyone else said. I have too many things swirling in my head. Need a re-watch. If possible, Karen David got more gorgeous over the break. (as did JS)

• Love 3

I'm betting on that moment arriving for Kylie during the first take where they tore Joshua's shirt off in front of her. Dude is looking fine this year!

Hey, when you're groping someone while singing how awesome his lats are, I don't blame her for a second.

I'm just shocked ABC would think mainstream America would remember who Kylie even is.  She hasn't had a huge record here in over a decade.  Outside of that, I think it was a brilliant move to get her.  Depending how well the show is doing outside of North America, this is a major selling point.

am surprised the Mickey network allowed it to air at 8:00!

They've been gay friendly for years, so I didn't think much of it.  But calling in the Enchanted Forest had me thinking "so is there a Once Upon A Time crossover happening tonight then?"

• Love 7

I decided to give this show a try. I've never seen an episode and just dove right in last night. I love that its campy and meta. I enjoyed the Galavant and Richard characters most of all. They pleased me. I also think I've figured out most of what I missed, but I might to have to go back and watch season 1 to fill in a few blanks if I decide to pick this up. I'm not hooked or anything, but it was more than just a pleasant way to spend the hour.

• Love 4

They've been gay friendly for years, so I didn't think much of it.  But calling in the Enchanted Forest had me thinking "so is there a Once Upon A Time crossover happening tonight then?"

Agreed! Esp with the Evil Queen reference!

Oh - I agree ABC is gay-friendly - I was referring to the naughty bits re: the Bear etc. airing at the 8:00 hour. Regardless of orientation!

I decided to give this show a try. I've never seen an episode and just dove right in last night. I love that its campy and meta. I enjoyed the Galavant and Richard characters most of all. They pleased me. I also think I've figured out most of what I missed, but I might to have to go back and watch season 1 to fill in a few blanks if I decide to pick this up. I'm not hooked or anything, but it was more than just a pleasant way to spend the hour.

Please go back! it's only a 4-hour investment! it will be worth your while!

• Love 4

On a random superficial note, I didn't think it would be possible to pull off Princess Jasmine's (of Aladdin) hair on a real person, but Isabella managed it.

If ABC never does a Once Upon A Time crossover, can they at least Karen David as Princess Jasmine (whenever they actually get around to freaking doing Aladdin)?  Because she would be PERFECT in that part!

Were her parents this bad last year?  Maybe she should have let Richard kill them. 

They weren't huge characters in the story last year, so we didn't get to see too much of them.  And now that they're pretty much forcing Isabella to marry her cousin because they support incest and not wanting to pay for the wedding.  Unless they come to their senses and see how messed up it is to have their daughter marry a non-potty trained little boy that locks her up in a dollhouse, Madalena can keep Valencia for all I care.

• Love 4

Loved everything about it.  So glad this show is back.  The interference with the amulet was contrived, but they have to have some overall arching plot, and I have to admit, when he called her "brown cow", I laughed.

I noticed that Joshua Sasse hardly sang at all, even though he is the lead.  I think Gareth sang more than Galavant did last night, and I recall Gareth only having maybe one singing line last season.

I'm just shocked ABC would think mainstream America would remember who Kylie even is.  She hasn't had a huge record here in over a decade.  Outside of that, I think it was a brilliant move to get her.  Depending how well the show is doing outside of North America, this is a major selling point.

Count me amongst those who were clueless.  I remember her from the 80s and "The Locomotion" and then some song about 15 or 20 years ago "Can't Get You Out of My Head" but I could have run her over on the street yesterday and not recognised her.  I kept thinking the queen of queens was going to turn out to be a man in drag.  That song she sang, "Off With His Shirt", I can only assume it was supposed to be an intentional ripoff of Homer Simpson's favorite song, "It's Raining Men".  Especially with those stupid nonstop "It's Raining Ben" commercials for the Bachelor.

Over the weekend, I was looking for the video clip of "Off with his Shirt" (had to share the wealth!) and I found the following article that talks about guest stars who are more famous internationally than domestically. . . .  per the article, they are trying to get it sold in England, so it makes sense they went global with their guest casting. Excerpt below, and full article here:  

http://tvline.com/2015/12/30/galavant-season-2-preview/

"TVLINE | What other guest stars can we look forward to?

We ended up casting some incredible UK talent that I’m not sure if all of America will be familiar with, but you’ll probably recognize them. [Aussie pop star] Kylie Minogue is in the first episode [playing a gay bar’s chanteuse], we have John Stamos making a quick cameo [as Sir John Hamm], Hugh Bonneville is back [as a pirate captain], we have Simon Callow (A Room With a View) as a psychic, Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead) plays a giant…. Robert Lindsay (G.B.H.) is a big deal over in the UK….

TVLINE | Well, now you’re just pandering to international sales.

We’re trying to get sold in England! Pretty much everybody that had more than five lines was someone pretty well-known in the UK for comedy or drama."

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 2

I think the only thing that bothered me about the miscommunication was that I'm not sure what the point of it was.  Obviously, Isabella is not going to marry her cousin because she doesn't want to.  Will she get another love interest? 

I wonder if they are going to do something with her and the Jester.

The amulet and bad phone call and Isabella locking herself up again were incredibly contrived.

However, on the whole this was the zany escape I was looking forward to.  It's all the little things.  The fortune teller busting out the little paper fortune teller was a good bit.  Richard is still so sweetly clueless.

I'm glad they are doing the two-episode-a-night arrangement this year too.

The never-before-seen but "I always wear it" amulet was played for laughs, so it didn't matter that it was contrived. If the misunderstanding of the phone call was supposed to be a wink and a nod to the trope, they played it too straight for me. 

It's true Vinnie Jones is no singer, but that's Gareth -- a man who likes meat with a side of meat and beer, beer, beer, beer.

Fair warning though, the pirates were not lying about the original theme song getting stuck in your head forever. You WILL be singing it to yourself after watching.

Yes, I had the original theme in my head for the rest of the evening. 

Is it just me or is this season already better than last season? Maybe I'm just not remembering last season very well. I know I enjoyed last season but I started the top of this hour all smiles and was laughing and enjoying it within minutes. It's better than I remember it, anyhow.

I will say, however, that it may suffer just a bit from airing back to back in hour-long blocks, because the over-the-top parody and musical numbers can get wearisome in long stretches. On some level the producers who make this show must know that because it is, in fact, written and designed to be a half-hour show. I don't know if ABC is just trying to fill the Once Upon a Time block or if they don't have enough confidence in the show so they're trying to burn through it twice as fast. But if the producers knew this year it would be airing in back to back blocks again why didn't they just make it an hour show?

At any rate I liked the first one better than the second, although the biggest laugh for me came out of the fortune teller pulling out that grade-school era cootie catcher. I about lost it. Pick a color! Also, Richard turning to Galavant and saying "He called us friends!"

• Love 2
although the biggest laugh for me came out of the fortune teller pulling out that grade-school era cootie catcher. I about lost it. Pick a color!

I about died...and had a sudden urge to make my own cootie catcher, which I haven't done in YEARS!

I did find myself laughing and smiling and dancing (yes, I did the high kicks when they sang the intro song) and singing (though I don't know the words so I was just kind of making up as much as I could). This is the happiest, most joyful hour on television. I don't care about the inconsistencies or the contrivances or any of it. This show makes me so happy.

The bit with Issabella's necklace just had me rolling because as soon as she said it I flashed through all the moments I could remember trying to envision it, then when Cook was like "uh, don't think so" I just DIED.

Gareth and Madelena were perfect. I think she has finally met her match in the guy who was with the queen when the....yeah, I don't even know his full title. Glad it got changed to King. Though I do hope that he and Richard stay friends. I watched last season on demand on Saturday in preparation and the end when Gareth is on the beach and starts singing that little bit of Goodnight my Friend. Yeah, it got me. I love their bromance.

• Love 7

I so loved the premiere. I've had Off With His Shirt on loop in my head last night, along with those wonderful mental images. My husband and I introduced our sister-in-law to the series over Christmas break and I forgot how much I liked the first season of the show. 

• Love 4

I've had Off With His Shirt on loop in my head last night, along with those wonderful mental images.

Amplified because the song was a clever twist on "It's Raining Men" - structure, message and hook. Others questioned why a woman sang the song, but it had to be sung by a Disco Diva to make its full effect.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 4

Amplified because the song was a clever twist on "It's Raining Men" - structure, message and hook. Others questioned why a woman sang the song, but it had to be sung by a Disco Diva to make its full effect.

I'm wondering whether the misgivings about having Kylie do the number aren't simply a way of saying that it should have been done by a drag queen or male-to-female transgender instead of an actual woman, as would usually be the case in most gay bars that I've been to.  I get the feeling that that is what the original poster who thought the network "chickened out" by having a woman do the song was trying to say.

Edited by legaleagle53

I'm wondering whether the misgivings about having Kylie do the number aren't simply a way of saying that it should have been done by a drag queen or male-to-female transgender instead of an actual woman, as would usually be the case in most gay bars that I've been to.  I get the feeling that that is what the original poster who thought the network "chickened out" by having a woman do the song was trying to say.

That was me, and yes, that was what I was trying to say.

• Love 1

Is it me, or does this season seem...shorter? Like, 30 minutes instead of 60 for each ep? 

Last year every episode was 30 min (21 min without commercials), also aired back-to-back.  I can watch all 8 episodes from S1 in just under 3 hours.

• Love 2

Earworm indeed -- I still have the original Galavant song running through my head.  The only problem is that the only word I know is "Galavant", so...  "da da da da da da da, Galavant!" over and over.  However, instead of the original scenery, I now picture Galavant shirtless. 

• Love 6

Well, I guess then I'm the only one who did not like the opening number. I don't know...I feel like the meta commentaries on this show are a little bit too on the nose...I prefer when they're embedded more organically in the world of the show. than he was before.

Not the only one.  I didn't like the opening number for the same reasons.  The dual meaning of the Bear in the Enchanted Forrest worked much better but probably went over the head of everyone that doesn't talk about the show in forums like these.  I mean once Richard asked Galavant to sing his theme song again it was clear that it wasn't going to be anything organic because why would Richard do that, just because they wanted to set up its another season, we didn't get any Emmy, and our ratings are going to suck, but yay not cancelled.  I would have preferred them to focus more on reintroducing the plots without so much its a TV show commentary.  Plus I hate the Chorus Line of it all.

But I'd forgiven them by the time Madalena and Gareth showed up and she asked if this (Soloman's chicken) was really happening.  But the funniest by far was how turned on Madalena was that Gareth was dangerous enough to cancel the leeches within the 24 hour appointment window..

I have to agree at the contrivance of the botched "call".  I'm not sure what the showrunners were going for in that - poking fun at the trope or if they were, to some extent, in earnest. We'll have to see how it plays out next week because I'd like to think that after she has a chance to sleep on it, Isabella will regain some of her lost hope.

I think this is pretty simple.  Galavant has to have a true love he is trying to save.  That is his perpetual hero journey/quest.  But both female leads, Madalena and Isabella, don't need saving and the show doesn't want them to need saving.  So they need a miscommunication so Isabella can escape, their storylines can cross, and Galavant still has someone to pursue.

• Love 2

I may be in the minority, but so far I didn't like this quite as much as the first season.  I thought the songs were a lot weaker.  However, it's only the first airing, so my opinion may change later.  I did enjoy the plot line, but none of the songs were very memorable to me.

I think this is pretty simple.  Galavant has to have a true love he is trying to save.  That is his perpetual hero journey/quest.  But both female leads, Madalena and Isabella, don't need saving and the show doesn't want them to need saving.  So they need a miscommunication so Isabella can escape, their storylines can cross, and Galavant still has someone to pursue.

I don't disagree with your theory, and I don't think that many of us here would (especially the Isabella & Galabella fans) but I'm not sure that a miscommunication was the right direction in which to go to "break up" Galabella.  I think the main objection I have is that I don't think it was all that creative of way to break them up and it was played far too straight to come off as funny.  To me, the idea that she "doesn't need a man" is an even worse feminist storytelling trope to fall into than them merely being physically separated in a world where communication is done by carrier pigeon and/or whatever is the medieval version of the Pony Express. 

That was really, IMO, the only misfire in what was a very strong premiere.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 3