Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: A New Season aka Suck It Cancellation Bear / S02.E02: World’s Best Kiss

Bad advice results in Galavant and the crew being shipwrecked, and they end up traveling by foot in order to get back to Richard's kingdom. Later, Galavant and King Richard find themselves at The Enchanted Forest Pub in West Hollow-wood where they are forced into working there by the owner who sees Galavant in a different light. Meanwhile in Valencia, Madalena rules as Queen, and Gareth demands his due when he is announced as King, with Sid as his assistant. Elsewhere in Hortensia, Isabella is imprisoned in her jewel box by her 12-year-old cousin as her parents prepare for their wedding.

and

Galavant and Richard see a fortune teller who is able to connect Galavant to Isabella using a crystal ball. Isabella receives Galavant's "call" as she is plotting her escape from Hortensia. Unfortunately, it's a "bad connection," and Isabella hears only every other word. She is devastated by the call, but Galavant believes it went well. He promises to return to her as soon as he drops Richard off at his castle. The only problem is that Richard's castle seems to have disappeared.

• Love 1

Galavant is one of the few miracles of network TV left. I mean logically this show shouldn't be anywhere near broadcast TV... but it is. I mean I'd had hopes it might be right for the new Netflix model... but somehow that didn't even turn out to be necessary.

I think it has a champion inside Disney--someone up the chain who's been protecting it. Sometimes that's the only way good stuff stays on TV these days.

• Love 13

And at the rate its fanbase already appears to be growing (at least by what I've seen on social media), this show just might not need that much help from above to make it to a third season!

Nah. I think we know by now that social media ≠ ratings.

What social media love does sometimes is lead to press. And press sometimes leads to ratings, but also sometimes can also lead to awards or a show being kept as a "prestige" project.  Which may have already happened with this show (explaining why there's a season 2 in the first place).

• Love 2

Why is season 1 not on DVD? take my money!

If it's any consolation and you can get over the lack of physical media, the paid version of Hulu has Season 1 (under their sitewide subscription) and Amazon has a Season Pass option.  Which way is ultimately a better deal depends I suppose if the $95 per year or so for Hulu is otherwise worth it (vs. the 19.99 one time fee for the season pass of the show on Amazon--although it might also be included with Amazon Prime, so there's that option too). 

• Love 1

What I like about this show is that it really does seem like everyone involved is having a very good time, and it's nice to have a comedy dedicated to simply entertaining the audience, rather than plumbing the depths of human misery.

I also like that all of the songs are Broadway-style number, and that there's a good balance of music to plot in each episode. As much as I enjoy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, sometimes I get a little impatient waiting for the next musical number. That never happens with Galavant.

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 5

Hulu has Season 1 (under their sitewide subscription) and Amazon has a Season Pass option. 

Sadly neither of those are available up here in the frozen wastes of Canada. There are many not so legal ways to watch it but i want to support the show monetarily.

Sadly neither of those are available up here in the frozen wastes of Canada. There are many not so legal ways to watch it but i want to support the show monetarily.

Hulu I know is US only. But Amazon is global.  That said, the rights are different so it's possible (heck, perhaps even likely, that there's no agreement between Amazon.ca and Disney for the show.

There are episodes on the Google Play store, I just noticed. Perhaps that's not region blocked for you. Sadly it appears to be per episode, but actually that turns out to be $2 cheaper for the whole season than the Amazon season pass would have been.  iTunes in the US has it for about $1 more per episode than Google Play, but if they're one of your platforms of choice, perhaps you could look there (iTunes Canada, I mean) too.

What I like about this show is that it really does seem like everyone involved is having a very good time, and it's nice to have a comedy dedicated to simply entertaining the audience, rather than plumbing the depths of human misery.

I also like that all of the songs are Broadway-style number, and that there's a good balance of music to plot in each episode. As much as I enjoy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, sometimes I get a little impatient waiting for the next musical number. That never happens with Galavant.

It's not really surprising the songs are "Broadway-Style", considering their Composer is (1 of their composers is) Alan Menken.

He's best known as a multiple Oscar-winning Composer of musical scores for a number of very famous Disney films--too many to list, but if you can name 1, he probably was involved with the music for it. But he's also written for Broadway shows such as Little Shop of Horrors & the stage version of Beauty and the Beast (for which he received 1 of his many Tony nominations) as well as the musical version of A Christmas Carol, among many others.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 3

I am not sure how this show ever got greenlit in the first place or how it ever got renewed but I AM SO GLAD IT DID IT BRINGS ME SO MUCH JOY.

THIS EXACTLY.

When I awoke this morning, I may or may not have squeed out loud when I remembered what day it was. :-))

• Love 3

Someone needs to remind me of the unicorn but I love that the title is a direct jab to tvbythenumbers.com (the owner of the cancellation bear.)

I'm sure they don't mind the free publicity (well, the tiny bit from media outlets actually reporting on Galavant who realize or care where the title came from--so... honestly not that many). 

And Zap2it bought those guys anyway, didn't they?

Predict the ‘Galavant’ Season 2 premiere ratings: Will ABC’s pickup be rewarded?

The Season 2 renewal of “Galavant” was one of the more surprising pickups at the end of last season, to say the least. But the show is indeed back starting Sunday — and with an episode title that name-checks the The Cancel Bear, no less.

So, will ABC’s decision to pick up the show look brilliant after Sunday night, or will we all be shaking our heads?

Edited by Kromm

THIS EXACTLY.

When I awoke this morning, I may or may not have squeed out loud when I remembered what day it was. :-))

I have been singing, "It's a new season . . and its totally bitchin'!" all freakin' day!

Thank heaven for my DVR because I am laughing way too hard to catch everything! 

A pre-Renaissance faire with "Big G" . . . hehehehe! 

• Love 5

Oh how I've missed this show. But I HATE contrived situations like that botched message between Isabella and Galavant.

Richard and Galavant make fun traveling companions. "Off With His Shirt" will definitely be stuck in my head while watching the next Captain America movie. Hee.

Isabella's parents are THE WORST. Equal to Elsa's parents in Frozen.

Garett and Madalena's song made me laugh though.

• Love 14

I have been singing, "It's a new season . . and its totally bitchin'!" all freakin' day!

That's all I got to see of these new episodes thanks to the idiots at the Cleveland affiliate who broke in with a freakin' press conference by the owner of the pathetic Browns (who apparently thinks the world revolves around him and his crap team).   When it finally came back, the episode was "in progress" and more than half of the episode was not aired... so I turned the damn thing off.  Ugh.  I'm so annoyed right now.  I hope you all enjoyed it.  (And I also hope the local ratings suffer for the whole night, because I'm a spiteful kinda gal.)

Edited by AnnaRose

Well, that was delightful!  I'm so glad the show has a second chance.  

AnnaRose, we suffered through the same press conference on the Cleveland affiliate, but it was over before the second episode came on.  I hope we can catch up with what we missed!

• Love 1

You know I wasn't really into the opening number when it was released online. I thought it was disappointing but watching it tonight on my TV I loved it.

It was so great to have this show back, loved all of the jokes and the music. The Unicorn stole the show

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Oh how I've missed this show. But I HATE contrived situations like that botched message between Isabella and Galavant.

And it wasn't even that funny! Except seeing an actual cow in the room.

Glad to see all the characters again; I can't wait for the sories to start intersecting, though.

• Love 3

Oh, how I've missed King Richard (and his marvelous hair). I wanted a shirtless Timothy Omundson, damn it.

I loved his "pre-Renaissance" line.

Galavant is one of the few miracles of network TV left. I mean logically this show shouldn't be anywhere near broadcast TV... but it is. I mean I'd had hopes it might be right for the new Netflix model... but somehow that didn't even turn out to be necessary.

I think it has a champion inside Disney--someone up the chain who's been protecting it. Sometimes that's the only way good stuff stays on TV these days.

Yes, a thousand & more thanks to whomever is championing this show.

Richard and Galavant make fun traveling companions. "Off With His Shirt" will definitely be stuck in my head while watching the next Captain America movie. Hee.

Isabella's parents are THE WORST. Equal to Elsa's parents in Frozen.

Garett and Madalena's song made me laugh though.

That botched message made me groan, too. But at the same time, the medieval equivalent of auto-correct + bad connection was pretty good.

• Love 5

Could someone please explain what the unicorn gag is? I think I saw it referenced in another thread as well.

Unicorns are attracted to children and virgins. The Unicorn kept following Richard around because he's a virgin.

I almost forgot, we got two Game of Thrones references tonight and the Fortune teller using that paper game we used to play as kids.

Oh and Cooks line and look about about the amulet was perfect

• Love 8

What did the sword in the stump plaque say?

Something about the hero sword and he who pulls it out is the true king.

I loved the Gareth and Madelena song and the Galavant and Isabella song was great as well. I'm so happy that this is back.

Enjoyed it but the Message getting messed was Groan worthy and Contrived. She heard him clear as day say he loved her before it starting fucking up. LOVED the Opening number. Still can't stand Madelena

• Love 5

I absolutely love this show

The one liners are awesome.

'Can you get cancer from walking ? I think my feet have cancer'

Pick a number...7

Pick a color.... Blue... HA!!

The unicorn was the seriously the star of this episode.

Hold it up, you will get better reception...

I wonder when the sword will come into play?

All in all- I loved it! Every silly minute of it

• Love 4

I'm so glad to have this show back, and it is just as hilarious as before.  Like others, I enjoyed the unicorn gag.

On a random superficial note, I didn't think it would be possible to pull off Princess Jasmine's (of Aladdin) hair on a real person, but Isabella managed it.

• Love 4

I want a Gal pal of my own. And a Di...Richard. Complete with pet unicorn. And attendant Gavin.

So glad show is back. Songs may not feel as strong as last year but who cares? It's zany, it's fun, I love it.

• Love 1

So, is Sid okay? Is he free to find Galavant and Richard? Did the guards come and put him in the dungeon? Inquiring minds want to know! (Sid in the bubblebath was fun too.)

I was sort of hoping that Gareth and Sid would become friendly and Sid would have to decide where he wanted to end up- squire with Knight Galavant or assistant to King Gareth?

Chef and his Wife are still big fun.  Then again, pretty much all of this is fun. It's like saying the ocean is wet or the sun is hot.

The Enchanted Forest sequence was lovely and silly in the best way. The escape was brilliant in it's simplicity.

The songs?  Why I am all in.

Oh, I also loved the Brady Bunch-esque  grouping of the major characters! It was, as ever, fun!

• Love 6