Type keyword(s) to search

The Expanse in the Media

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

I guess that means I will need to subscribe to Amazon Prime next year. *grumble*

Since the show is filmed in Canada with lots of tax credits, there may be rules that it has to air on a Canadian cable channel. *hopes*

Yay! First time in my life that a show I love is being saved! I was being silently cynical about all the efforts because I've seen it before and it never worked. So next time someone is giving me grief for ordering stuff on amazon I finally have a good retort "They saved the Roci!"

• Love 8

Amazon saves the Expanse! That’s where I watched the show to begin with and I had just finished season 2 when the news was announced that SyFy cancelled it. I almost couldn’t watch season 3 because I didn’t want to continue if we would never know what happened. 

This might even make the increase in my Prime account worth it after all! Happy weekend news and now I’ll start on season 3!

• Love 2

I am so happy to hear this!!!! I watched the first two seasons on Amazon, so I dont mind watching the fourth! Thanks Amazon and Bezos! 

Thats two shows I love brought back from cancellation! Prayer (and fan campaigns and complex high level negotiations) works!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Should we try to make some hastag thanking Bezos / Amazon trend?

I mean, so that they are encouraged to listen to fans more in the future

Most people are using #SavedTheExpanse.  Check out Cas Anvar's twitter, he was the driving force behind the live watch & tweets and is very much involved in the fandom.

It's such great news, I had to check it twice when I woke up this morning. And then a third time when I realised that Jeff Bezos said that "future seasons will be Amazon Originals". Plural. Amazing.

I want at least two more seasons, to tell the stories of books 3 and 5. Book 4? I can take it or leave it.

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, marinw said:

I guess that means I will need to subscribe to Amazon Prime next year. *grumble*

Since the show is filmed in Canada with lots of tax credits, there may be rules that it has to air on a Canadian cable channel. *hopes*

Typically, Canadian and U.S. rights are separate. Therefore, because Bell Media (Space and Crave TV) owns its rights in Canada right now, it does not mean that Amazon Prime Videos Canada will necessarily own the rights to the show. Depending on the contracts, Bell Media may as well keep the rights for Canadian distributions. Example is Star Trek: Discovery. Since Bell Media (through Space) owns the rights, CBS All Access Canada can not stream the show even though the show is originally shown on CBS All Access USA.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Depending on the contracts, Bell Media may as well keep the rights for Canadian distributions. Example is Star Trek: Discovery. Since Bell Media (through Space) owns the rights, CBS All Access Canada can not stream the show even though the show is originally shown on CBS All Access USA.

Thank you for that. Another example is The Handmaid's Tale which we Canadians get to watch without Hulu.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:59 AM, quazimodo said:

So beyond chuffed about this. This is a well deserved save for a brilliant, smart show. 

Chuffed-- great word; a new one on me.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:19 AM, Haleth said:

All hail the Great Bezos!

Even a blind dog finds a bone now and again.

(edited)

Now that Amazon's bags of money are involved maybe the showrunners can put Chrisjen back in her killer wardrobe. This season they've really cheaped out on her.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Now that Amazon's bags of money are involved maybe the showrunners can put Chrisjen back in her killer wardrobe. This season they've really cheaped out on her.

I disagree with that.  Circumstances limited her clothing selection but she still looked fabulous.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, johntfs said:

I disagree with that.  Circumstances limited her clothing selection but she still looked fabulous.

Amen. Chrisjen rocked that space jumpsuit she poached from the Razorback like nobody's business. 

• Love 4

For sure she looked fabulous. Chrisjen could wear the hell out of a pair of orange overalls. However, her wardrobe this season has been far, far down from its usual high standards and I hope my Amazon purchases and Prime annual fee will contribute to fixing that next season.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

For sure she looked fabulous. Chrisjen could wear the hell out of a pair of orange overalls. However, her wardrobe this season has been far, far down from its usual high standards and I hope my Amazon purchases and Prime annual fee will contribute to fixing that next season.

At the start of this season she was wearing one outfit that was kind of soaked with Cotyer's blood.  She didn't have a chance to fetch along a closet filled with clothes while fleeing for her life with Bobbie aboard the Razorback and presumably the Roci didn't pass near any high-end clothing stores on its way to Io.  Now that she's back on (and Secretary-General of) Earth, her wardrobe should return to its awesome fabulousness shortly.

• Love 1
(edited)

I understand the storyline reasons why her clothing options were reduced. I also think the showrunners  probably made certain storyline choices to reduce costs (or at least pivot funds more toward special effects). Chrisjen's wardrobe seems to have been one of the victims of those choices. So far. We'll see what happens in the rest of the season. Fingers crossed for return of the unparalleled fabulousness.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
32 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I understand the storyline reasons why her clothing options were reduced. I also think the showrunners  probably made certain storyline choices to reduce costs (or at least pivot funds more toward special effects). Chrisjen's wardrobe seems to have been one of the victims of those choices. So far. We'll see what happens in the rest of the season. Fingers crossed for return of the unparalleled fabulousness.

In which case I'm okay with their decisions.  Put it this way, would you rather have seen Chrisjen (and Bobbie) stay on Earth and wear her outfits or go into space and interact directly with the Roci crew, even with a reduced wardrobe?  I pick door number two every time.

• Love 4
(edited)

Not sure why that necessarily has/had to be an "either/or" decision. Also not sure why criticizing the perhaps temporary decline in Chrisjen's wardrobe (which has been a key and notable factor in her characterization) seems to be so problematic here. In the overall scheme of The Expanse things, it's probably a relatively minor issue for most viewers. Nevertheless, it happens to be an important one for me and my enjoyment of the show, and one I'm willing to keep commenting about on this forum.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

This thread is for The Expanse in the Media, not Chrisjen's (admittedly fabulous) wardrobe. 

Also, please remember to keep the conversation civil by not asking your fellow posters to justify their opinions or by becoming repetitive with yours.  Thank you.

• Love 2

Amazon Studios on how The Expanse was saved

The Expanse pickup announcement followed an elaborate fan campaign that included renting a plane to fly a #Save The Expanse banner over the Amazon headquarters. It was made in a dramatic fashion by Amazon’s chairman himself, Jeff Bezos, at National Space Society’s International Space Development Conference in Los Angeles where he was an honoree an hour or so after The Expanse cast and showrunner had done a panel at the same event.

“There were airplanes circling us, I was having cakes delivered, there was a whole thing happening,” Salke said of The Expense campaign. “And then really smart people, whose opinions I really value creatively, started reaching out to me, saying, “have you seen this show, The Expanse, it’s actually great”. I hadn’t so I spent some time, I watched the show and I was like, this show is actually really well done, why is nobody watching it? At the same time, Jeff Bezos was getting emails from everyone from George R.R. Martin to every captain of industry, like the founder of Craigslist, and they were all writing, saying, there’s this show, it’s so great, you have to see it, you have to buy it or save it.

• Love 3
On 6/11/2018 at 7:17 PM, raven said:

Amazon Studios on how The Expanse was saved

This was a really interesting read, but I have to say, the fanboy in me wishes the studio execs quoted in this piece were not so damned cool and collected and professional.  Like, Jennifer Salke (new studio head for Amazon Studios) talks about how she heard good things about the show, so she decided to watch some of it, and she concluded that the show was "actually really well done." Which is fine, but, I mean, "really well done?" Is The Mona Lisa also really well done? Citizen Kane, really well done? How about the collected works of Beethoven?  I wanted her to tell a story about how she turned the thing on just to satisfy her curiosity, and then, 14 hours later, she had to be pried away from the TV by her family and trained medical professionals and sedated to force her to get much needed sleep. Or when she says that co-head of TV Vernon Sanders was saying "we can make that show into something," I wanted him to be more effusive. I wanted him to be chomping on a cigar and saying something "I ain't seen this much talent in one place since MGM in the 30s."

Sigh. I guess I'll take it, though. :)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, btp said:

This was a really interesting read, but I have to say, the fanboy in me wishes the studio execs quoted in this piece were not so damned cool and collected and professional.  Like, Jennifer Salke (new studio head for Amazon Studios) talks about how she heard good things about the show, so she decided to watch some of it, and she concluded that the show was "actually really well done." Which is fine, but, I mean, "really well done?" Is The Mona Lisa also really well done? Citizen Kane, really well done? How about the collected works of Beethoven?  I wanted her to tell a story about how she turned the thing on just to satisfy her curiosity, and then, 14 hours later, she had to be pried away from the TV by her family and trained medical professionals and sedated to force her to get much needed sleep. Or when she says that co-head of TV Vernon Sanders was saying "we can make that show into something," I wanted him to be more effusive. I wanted him to be chomping on a cigar and saying something "I ain't seen this much talent in one place since MGM in the 30s."

Sigh. I guess I'll take it, though. :)

If you went to the Louve and saw the Mona Lisa in person, you might be awed and amazed by it.  If you got a job at the Louve (as a security guard or somesuch) and walked past it several times a day every day, you'd be less awed because of the constant expose.  Studio executives aren't casual viewers who can be caught up in awe easily.  When they're watching a show for their jobs they're doing a cost-benefits analysis on every scene, so of course they'll be cool and calm because they're doing this for a living.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, johntfs said:

If you went to the Louve and saw the Mona Lisa in person, you might be awed and amazed by it.  If you got a job at the Louve (as a security guard or somesuch) and walked past it several times a day every day, you'd be less awed because of the constant expose.  Studio executives aren't casual viewers who can be caught up in awe easily.  When they're watching a show for their jobs they're doing a cost-benefits analysis on every scene, so of course they'll be cool and calm because they're doing this for a living.

Of course. Perhaps my tongue was not firmly enough in my cheek. As I said, that was my "fanboy" reaction. The real me is well aware of the world and how it works. I just now and then long for a time when everyone wasn't so jaded. I know it's a pipe dream, but in the words of one Mr. Holden, "I'm going to hold on that for a little while."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Holmbo said:

@btp did you try the Beltalowda podcast?

I did, briefly, but honestly I didn't spend much (enough) time with it. Not the podcast's fault, really, just life and work intruding on my leisure time (as they do). I'll get back to the podcasts for sure, though, probably more than one of them, but possibly not until the long Expanse drought we're about to enter. At which point I will likely consume every bit of Expanse-related media I can find. :)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, btp said:

I did, briefly, but honestly I didn't spend much (enough) time with it. Not the podcast's fault, really, just life and work intruding on my leisure time (as they do). I'll get back to the podcasts for sure, though, probably more than one of them, but possibly not until the long Expanse drought we're about to enter. At which point I will likely consume every bit of Expanse-related media I can find. :)

Podcast can always wait ?

Honestly, podcasts are absolutely never on my radar.  I just don't have the time for them.  I actually donated $5 to the kickstarter campaign to get old school recaps back because podcasts leave me cold.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Captanne said:

Honestly, podcasts are absolutely never on my radar.  I just don't have the time for them.  I actually donated $5 to the kickstarter campaign to get old school recaps back because podcasts leave me cold.

You mean written recaps? 

To me podcasts take no time cause I just listen to it while doing other things. What I don't really get is video recaps. 

Ditto on the podcast non-love - while I am sure they likely think about what they are going to say in advance, the few I have listened to seem very scattered. Give it to me in writing instead of making me listen for a half hour to what I can read in mere minutes, particularly with the umms and uhhh stripped off and minus all the irritating interrupting. But then I am also old and biased toward print rather than other media.

• Love 8

Ho.  Lee.  Shitballs.  I would never in a billion years have have recalled that Steven Strait played Warren Peace (and that's just the best name ever) in Sky High.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wish there were more fan material for this show. I need something to wean of my addiction on :P Like more compilation videos or fan art or jokes...  Any tips? Show only, no books.
Otherwise I might have to make some videos of my own, though I've no idea of how to do it. :D

Edited by Holmbo

@Holmbo here are some YouTube videos; I haven't watched a lot of them so I can't tell you how book spoilery they are.  Bora Kutlu (the first one) does some very nice work; he has a couple of others besides this one.   The second one is more technical and I believe there are a few of those as well.

• Love 2
On 6/30/2018 at 10:04 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

The on,y time I listened to a Expanse related podcast was when The Churn had Steven/Dom/Wes/Frankie and the creators all on for a season 3 chat and it was pretty funny.

Even with cast members and writers on it, The Churn was a chore to listen to because of Cher Martinetti.  Maybe she's a talented writer, but as an interviewer and host she was atrocious.

Also, how does Jay Hernandez go from a background character on The Expanse to the title lead in the Magnum P.I. reboot?

• Love 1