Type keyword(s) to search

The Expanse in the Media

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

It just occurred to me that the son of Mad Men's Don Draper had himself frozen for a couple hundred years, had a sex-change operation, and then became a Gunnery Sergeant in the Martian Marines. 

• Love 2

Yeah, this was a good trailer. It really conveyed a sense of scale and big consequences for everything that's going on.  I would hope it might attract new viewers who are looking for a scifi action show, but somehow haven't found The Expanse so far.

Syfy just doesn't have much buzz. If this show were on Netflix, FX etc. I think a lot more people would be watching/talking about it. 

Glad to see the return of the demoted UN admiral. It's a credit to the writers that even supporting characters like him and the ambassador Chrisjen betrayed, can be made so compelling. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I'm going to have to rewatch season 2. I'd forgotten about the little girl.  I was already looking ahead.

Damn the bad luck . . .

I think the very last shot of s2 was on Io where the evil doctor was loading the little girl into a stasis unit and putting her into storage. 

On 2018-03-16 at 4:58 PM, xaxat said:

Syfy just doesn't have much buzz. If this show were on Netflix, FX etc. I think a lot more people would be watching/talking about it. 

Season 1 and 2 is on Netflix outside US and Canada. Not sure when 3 will be available though. I wonder how much the Netflix viewers matter. Depends on how much they pay Syfy for it I suppose.

If anyone else like recap podcasts I'd recommend Beltalowda. Jim and Aron does recaps for a lot of different shows and they are very entertaining. One of them has read some of the books so they bring in a little bit of book trivia, but not too much. The other one has not read any and so is free to speculate. They only just started this show now with season three.

1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

If anyone else like recap podcasts

I've been listening to "the Churn". They have guest stars including Terry Chen, Cas Anvar and Frankie Adams, who has an adorable personality!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, marinw said:

I've been listening to "the Churn". They have guest stars including Terry Chen, Cas Anvar and Frankie Adams, who has an adorable personality!

I have tried it before but gave it up due to bad sound quality. But now I listened to the first episode of this season and it's much better sound and enjoyable. Is Holden = space Jon Snow a thing? I thought it was just a joke one of the hosts on the Beltalowda made but now they said it on the Churn too. I suppose it's not to far off. Especially since Syfy marketed this as Game of thrones in space.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is Holden = space Jon Snow a thing? I thought it was just a joke one of the hosts on the Beltalowda made but now they said it on the Churn too. I suppose it's not to far off. Especially since Syfy marketed this as Game of thrones in space.

I'm one of the, like, 3% of the population that doesn't particularly care for GoT, but I can tell you for sure that "Space Jon Snow" is definitely a thing and has been for a while, so much so that early on during The Expanse's run, I found myself asking my various Thronie friends to explain. I think Steven Strait himself has used the phrase.

If anyone else like recap podcasts I'd recommend Beltalowda.

Regarding the podcasts, I've noticed a real uptick lately in the number and quality of both podcasts and YouTube review/reaction series dealing with The Expanse, which I take as a good thing. I think it means the show is finally catching on. I hope SyFy sees this and sticks with it.

This is about the fourth time in the last week I've heard good things about Beltalowda. I'll have to give it a listen. I have to say, with apologies to all those who work hard to produce it, that I cannot get through an episode of The Churn. Cannot do it. I don't know why -- it's the official podcast of the TV show that is probably my favorite of the last decade, regularly includes the writers and other members of the cast and crew, and the folks that do the show seem like genuinely nice people. But the show just doesn't engage me. I think I find the hosts rather bland, to be honest, I wish we could get an aftershow akin to the Chris Hardwick "Talking" shows that have run on AMC. Hardwick is a great host for these kinds of things because he's quick and funny (having a background in stand-up probably doesn't hurt) and because he has a kind of hardcore fanboy persona (which may be genuine or just good acting, I don't know) that appeals to other hardcore fans. The only person I can think of right now who is both an Expanse fan and a genuine celebrity with some personal charisma would probably be Adam Savage. I would love to see or hear an aftershow/podcast with him, but I'm guessing his plate is pretty full as it is.

Anyway, maybe Beltalowda is my answer. I'll check it out.

Edited by btp
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

Cancelled #urgetokillrising

It's cancelled on SyFy.  I'd love to see this thing go to FX or even HBO to see Chrisjen dropping some legitimate F-bombs like a B-17 over Nazi Germany.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MrWhyt said:

Cancelled #urgetokillrising

I really hope it gets picked up by another network. Are the odds for that good? I don't know anything about the business. 

(edited)

Damn. It sort of sucks that my entertainment choices have to be at the whims of the American public.  Sometimes I really hate being a scifi fan....

Hope Netflix or Amazon give it a chance and picks it up.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 3

WTF? I was just coming to terms with the cancellation of Dark Matter because everybody claimed that was the price for keeping The Expanse?!? What the hell is Syfy doing?  Yeah, it's all business and they had a bad deal yaddadda.

Looks like Netflix is the best option but I'm not holding by breath.

• Love 3

I almost feel responsible for the cancellation.  I think I’m the kiss of death for quality sci-fi.   This is by far my favorite show, the only one I make a point of watching in real time on an actual tv.   Fingers crossed that it gets picked up by someone who can do it justice.  

• Love 1

Those fucking bobbleheads!!!

From what I just read, SyFy does not have the rights to streaming platforms, which I'm sure was a big factor.

The number of shows I actually watch is shrinking all the time. 

If you have Netflix, you can go to the Help Center and find "Request TV Shows or Movies" which is what I did.

I hope someone picks it up.    Compelling story, good casting,,,come on!

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, that is equally disappointing and surprising. For some reason I had thought The Expanse was getting a lot of positive media attention and holding a steady audience. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

SyFy are crap. They don't support their shows, and they don't have the credibility to convince people to give their shows a chance. The Expanse was supposed to be the keystone in their strategy to rebuild that credibility, and reforge their identity as a channel that does good sci-fi. Guess they gave up on that.

Hopefully Alcon can get a new deal done quickly, with Netflix or another streaming company. The show is already marketed as a Netflix Original in the UK. But that's probably becsuse SyFy never bothered to make it available to watch over here.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

SyFy are crap. They don't support their shows, and they don't have the credibility to convince people to give their shows a chance. The Expanse was supposed to be the keystone in their strategy to rebuild that credibility, and reforge their identity as a channel that does good sci-fi. Guess they gave up on that.

Hopefully Alcon can get a new deal done quickly, with Netflix or another streaming company. The show is already marketed as a Netflix Original in the UK. But that's probably becsuse SyFy never bothered to make it available to watch over here.

that was the nature of the deal. Syfy only had first run rights in north america, netflix had rights to it everywhere else.

(edited)
37 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The Expanse was supposed to be the keystone in their strategy to rebuild that credibility, and reforge their identity as a channel that does good sci-fi. Guess they gave up on that.

This is the reason I thought the show was safe. I assumed they were ok with going back on it as an investment to rebuild their brand.

I feel like Netflix would be the best bet on picking it up considering they already have it in most countries. I don't know what views it has though. Maybe we should send stuff to Netflix office to convince them to pick it up. Like fans of Sense8 sending flip-flops. What is the equivalent prop of the Expanse?

Edited by Holmbo
  • Love 4

It's because 5% of the people have 95% of the brains, and the networks prefer to cater to the other 95% of dumbasses, because they are stupid enough to be swayed by the advertising.

So long as the viewing public go nuts over sludge like <insert any Shondaland show here> and aren't smart enough to understand decent programming, the decent programming is in jeopardy of cancellation.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

that was the nature of the deal. Syfy only had first run rights in north america, netflix had rights to it everywhere else.

I wonder that because Amazon has had the streaming in the U.S. it messes up the chances of Netflix picking up the whole thing.

5 hours ago, Holmbo said:

What is the equivalent prop of the Expanse?

Nothing.  That may have worked once but unless you have a financial solution, why should they care?ll you're doing is adding more junk to already over-stuffed landfills.

4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

So long as the viewing public go nuts over sludge like <insert any Shondaland show here>

I like HTGAWM, and it's one of the few shows with two black female leads.  I would have used "<insert any CBS white male lead show">.  Both Kevin Can Wait and Man With a Plan look awful!

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Nothing.  That may have worked once but unless you have a financial solution, why should they care?ll you're doing is adding more junk to already over-stuffed landfills.

I like HTGAWM, and it's one of the few shows with two black female leads.  I would have used "<insert any CBS white male lead show">.  Both Kevin Can Wait and Man With a Plan look awful!

I don't know about any CBS show with a white male lead.  That would include Elementary and that show is still awesome.  That said, Kevin Can Wait and Man With A Plan could happily be flushed.

3 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I don't know about any CBS show with a white male lead.  That would include Elementary and that show is still awesome.  That said, Kevin Can Wait and Man With A Plan could happily be flushed.

That's fair.  Is was thinking of the shows specifically like KCW and MWaP.   (Elementary also has an Asian woman who is co-lead; these shows do not.)

(edited)
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

SyFy are crap. They don't support their shows, and they don't have the credibility to convince people to give their shows a chance.

Does anyone remember a show called Incorporated? That ran for one season on SyFy/Space and was cancelled. Not as good as The Expanse (what show is?) but IMO it deserved a second season.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, marinw said:

I’m sad but not surprised. This must be a very expensive show, and it never found a huge audience despite being excellent.

Yep. I was pleasantly surprised that it got a third season. Oh well, at least we have the books.

• Love 1

NO! I just started watching! I just fell in love with this show, and now they take it from me? WTF is going on with TV this season, they're cancelling freaking everything. I really thought this show was safe, SyFy seemed so happy to have something that was actually getting good critical buzz. 

I am just so depressed now.

(edited)

I'm totally fed up with SyFy. I'll finish out what's left that they haven't cancelled yet (which would be The Magicians and Wynonna Earp), but I'm not going to try any new series of theirs going forward. The channel had earned goodwill with me for letting 12 Monkeys finish its story, but losing Dark Matter was a hard pill to swallow, and now this? Ugh.

(If cancellations of The Magicians and Wynonna Earp have been announced, don't tell me today. I can only take so much on one day...)

ETA: Here's an article I just happened to read a few minutes ago, posted on SyFy's website of all places, talking about how SF&F shows are having so much success on Netflix that NF is doubling down on them. Mentions how Amazon is betting big as well. And meanwhile SyFy can't figure out how to make anything of its own successful...

ETA again: Here's an opinion column that was written when Dark Matter was cancelled. Too bad SyFy didn't heed its message...

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 2

What really pissed me off is, I was just going on a huge rant the other day at a party about how SyFy has started getting their act together, and is actually putting out quality science fiction and fantasy shows now, and that they were building their brand up again, and we could trust them to put out good content. The cancellation of Dark Matter was tough, but I thought that maybe it was an outlier, but I guess I was the real bobblehead for trusting this channel and defending them like a big dumbass. 

Will we at least get to see this season finished? Maybe I should actually get around to reading the books? It wont be the same though. 

11 hours ago, Netfoot said:

It's because 5% of the people have 95% of the brains, and the networks prefer to cater to the other 95% of dumbasses, because they are stupid enough to be swayed by the advertising.

So long as the viewing public go nuts over sludge like <insert any Shondaland show here> and aren't smart enough to understand decent programming, the decent programming is in jeopardy of cancellation.

Sludge?  I love The Expanse, but it’s not for everyone.  Also many of Shondaland shows have black, female leads, which is something many TV shows in America don’t have.  I also think it’s a bit pretentious to say, “ the viewing public is stupid because they don’t like what I like.”

• Love 4
(edited)

I am having flashbacks to when SciFi cancelled Farscape.  The season-ending episode (effectively the SERIES-ending episode) ended with a HUGE cliff-hanger (because SciFi had previously said there WOULD be another season.) 

Frelling nerfherders.  

After much fan bitching and moaning (someone actually took out a full page ad in Variety to lobby for the show's return) SciFi did finally give us a two-hour movie to wrap up Farscape, so I sort of forgave them.  But now I hate them again.  

The Expanse is SO GOOD.  Sigh.  Thank goodness the books already exist.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Will we at least get to see this season finished? Maybe I should actually get around to reading the books? It wont be the same though. 

Yes, this season will finish airing - what I wonder, though, is if TPTB had any idea that a cancellation was coming down the pike. I've read the first three books, and although they're all part of a series, each book also functions pretty well as a standalone (maybe that changes with later books, I don't know) - the major plots and conflicts are resolved and there are no cliffhangers, even though there's plenty of intriguing "I wonder what happens next in this universe?" to contemplate. The show hasn't been like that, though, because they didn't fit the first or second season neatly to the first or second books - the first season only got partway through the first book, so the second season had material from both the first and second book and didn't finish out the second book either, so if the showrunners weren't expecting a cancellation, they likely did the same with the third season and so it's going to end on some giant cliffhanger revolving around a plot point from midway through the third book...

So if nothing else, you'll probably want to read the third book after this season is over. Unless the show can get picked up by someone else.

• Love 1