Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Rule #25: Beware The Second Chance

Delia's storyline makes no sense at all. I get that she doesn't want to get married, but up until now, her boss has been a stand-up guy and the voice of reason. An affair between the two of them just seems preposterous. There are so many more plausible ways for the writers to wreck her engagement.

I couldn't believe that the new wife came at Jo like that. There was no reason for her to antagonize Jo by coming after her business. Jo would probably have been able to grin and bear her presence had she not tried to interfere with the bakery. There was just no need for it.

I had to laugh at loud at Phoebe's class. It's wrong to use the word "vagina"?

• Love 2

I couldn't believe that the new wife came at Jo like that. There was no reason for her to antagonize Jo by coming after her business. Jo would probably have been able to grin and bear her presence had she not tried to interfere with the bakery. There was just no need for it.

I suspect that if I was faced with my husband's spectacularly toxic ex, who didn't let trying to cut him off from his kid keep her from trying to make space for him in her bed despite his having remarried, I wouldn't put too much faith in her ability to be any kind of adult.

The fact that Frumpkin apparently has a definite type doesn't put me in sympathy with Jo here. The women who are supposed to be her best friends can't get her to behave like a civilized human being by swallowing endless vulgar abuse and leeching. I think it's fair for the new wife to assume a power play is more likely to get her to back off.

Edited by Julia

From this ep, and next week's preview, I assume they think this is the only way to get Jo to look good.  

I'm glad they recognize that the character is a problem.  I'm sorry they think this is the way to fix it.

I really wanted Phoebe to walk out of that stupid idea for a college class for good.  But, I reluctantly agreed with her reason to hang in there.  Not to mention the fact that I'm always encouraging my "mature" college students to speak up/lead by example in my classes -- IRL, there would be SOMEone in that class who'd truly appreciate what Phoebe has to say.  I only fear two things: 1.  They'll all end up loving her (ugh) 2. She'll fuck the professor (I actually yelled "Don't fuck the professor!" at my TV when he handed her back her paper)

Delia.  *mournfully shakes head*  If you're going to fuck around on your fiancé, why must it be with a carbon copy?

But a shoutout to the fesenjoon (don't know how to spell it in English) reference.  Though I have been given no previous indication that you can boil water -- forget cooking a complicated Persian dish.

Edited by gutette1

I have never especially liked Delia but now she's pretty loathsome. When her ugly bald boss (who looks like the dean on 'community' to me. This is the guy she can't keep her vagina--excuse me, front hole--off of?) had his office visit from his seemingly perfectly lovely wife, I thought the look on her face denoted some awareness, some guilt, some realization. But nope, it apparently just spurred on her bitchy, competitive, jealous edge. She's gross.

The anti feminist feminists in phoebes class were such stupid stereotypes that it was offensive, and Camille paglia? 'Skip the rapey parts'? Ugh. So much ugh. Phoebe is so gonna fuck her teacher. Boring. Tho he IS beautiful.

Just when I find redeeming things about this show again, they go and have an episode like this. I kind of hate all these women.

• Love 1

Just when I find redeeming things about this show again, they go and have an episode like this. I kind of hate all these women.

I agree. However, this is the reason for the show....flawed divorcees, wives, singles.  No one comes out looking good or even becomes someone you want to root for.  I actually liked Delia's fiancée (despite HIS flaws) and think she just doesn't know how to be happy.  Too bad she has to screw up everyone's life around her.

The thing is, though, when his previous wife didn't drop her successful business to pay more attention to him, he didn't wait a particularly seemly amount of time to move on to the divorce lawyer (who he asked to drop her successful career to pay more attention to him). It seems like that relationship may be sprouting the seeds of its own destruction already...

I consider myself to be a very strong feminist and while I hate Phoebe, I thought her self-portrait was interesting and made a good point relevant to the assignment.  Sure, as a viewer I might roll my eyes at her and I'd be terrible about her behind her back if she were real and I knew her IRL, but that doesn't mean she's not a person who brought a unique perspective to the class... a person who did not insult the other students' race to mediocrity.  I am so tired of feminists being portrayed as humorless harpies who lash out.  Some of us have manners and appreciate that not everyone has the same level of education and experience, that someone else might be just as good as us (perhaps even better?) even if they're different.

I didn't like the doctor's date either. She was really tacky to Abby. "If I make those milestones." Ugh. Just smile and nod and say nice to meet you.

I hate Delia, I hate Jo. I don't know why I'm watching. Retta?

• Love 1

Halfway through this ep and I just want to remove the word, "Sorry" from Abby's vocabulary. She was even apologizing for what the panel audience said! And yeah, doctor dude, she had a full existence before you came along, the way people do, and that's not going to change, nor should it.

Love Carrie Fisher.

I have mixed feelings about Phoebe's decision to stay in her class. Just because she thinks it's Classic Phoebe--! Her radar is off when she really should get out of things. Then it seemed like maybe it was a good decision until the teacher ruined everything he said by advising her what not to read in that book. Arrgh.

I feel badly for Jo even though I mostly don't like her elbows-out-to-the-world character. She did look more pulled together in this episode than previously. There is also no reason other than vindictiveness that her bakery is under attack. But I was yelling at her not to trust that snake of a Southern charmer. I say go for the court battle and screw the kid's feelings, but I'm feeling rawr-y.

I wish Abby had just kept walking away from Drama Magnet Doctor, but she hasn't learned yet.

Damn it, Delia, maybe you and your boss have the pheromones clicking, but maybe you should postpone your wedding. Indefinitely.

Eesh, what happens to Jo next week? :(

• Love 1

I didn't like the doctor's date either. She was really tacky to Abby. "If I make those milestones." Ugh. Just smile and nod and say nice to meet you.

Ugh, squared.  I forgot that part.  My brother dates women who talk like this -- it's even more tedious IRL.

• Love 1