Type keyword(s) to search

Smithsonian Channel: They like to fly

roamyn
  • Start Topic

Does anyone watch this channel?

I like some of their programming, like Arial America & Million Dollar American Princesses.

They do seem to spend alot of time in the air, though, between AA & Air Disasters & the plane series.

They do have some really good shows, but are endlessly repetitive. I hated that they didn't continue LA Frock Stars. The lady (Doris?) who owned the resale shop was interesting and I loved the vintage clothing.

• Love 1

I like Million Dollar American Princess as well even if it is a bit confusing to follow.  This may make me sound like a dummy but if they insist on covering 3 or 4 women in one hour I wish they would stop jumping around from story to story and just stick to one women for the 15 mins or however long it takes to cover her story.  This jumping around gets a bit confusing for me--especially if I'm not familiar with the women to begin with.

I like the documentaries they do as well.  The one done a week or so ago on finding Richard III skeleton was really nice!  I read the Smithsonian magazine so I had read a little on this earlier but it was nice to see the doc. as well.

• Love 1

I like the American Princess show. It would be better if they just focused on one person for a 30 minute episode. I'm wondering how long this show can last. They've only had about six episodes total in two seasons. Eventually they might run out of women to profile.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like the American Princess show. It would be better if they just focused on one person for a 30 minute episode. I'm wondering how long this show can last. They've only had about six episodes total in two seasons. Eventually they might run out of women to profile.

Theoretically they could go to more modern princesses like Princess Kelly or Queen Noor.

Dirty, the Richard III documentary is over a year old. I watched it once, but never again with the fanatical woman who insists he was innocent of his nephews' murders.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Glad to see another fan of Air Disasters.  The different way countries handle the disasters is sometimes exasperating, as well a surprising.
That Japan would allow survivors to die because of a fight over who went to the site first was unconscionable, and unexpected.
I've started watching the Alaska crash series, and it seems well done also.

I once watched a marathon of Air Disasters a few days before I was set to fly somewhere. I'm not a masochistic, I just find the stories fascinating, esp. when they are in different countries.

• Love 1

A little late to the table but I jumped in to this thread see if there was anything new about this show in particular. 

Run out of women?  Not a chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_heiresses

I got hooked on the Air Disasters show while helping my dad recover from knee replacement surgery at the end of March. He's hooked on the Smithsonian channel, so we watched just about everything on it, and AD was the show I appreciated the most. I especially like the earlier-set episodes, which showed how various air regulations were put into place after a crash.

• Love 1

One thing with Air Disasters is that I like the episodes better when it is a mechanical failure rather than pilot error. I just feel worse when a crash is due to pilot error. Plus, I am a bit fascinated at what makes a plane fly. You would think with either problem I wouldn't want to fly after watching so many of these shows. But it doesn't effect me. I still travel by plane and have no problems.

• Love 2

One thing with Air Disasters is that I like the episodes better when it is a mechanical failure rather than pilot error.

I agree, and it's sad when controllers or mechanics learn that they caused a plane to crash.

In some cases, it's FAA's failure to follow up, that causes crashes.

I think the NTSB should have authority to enforce air worthiness directives.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:15 PM, caci said:

One thing with Air Disasters is that I like the episodes better when it is a mechanical failure rather than pilot error.

And here's one that should be a new episode.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/06/25/a-boom-in-midair-then-90-scary-minutes-on-a-plane-that-shook-like-a-washing-machine/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news&utm_term=.de0f3c1d7a32

Yes, I am also a sucker for episodes in which some, if not all, passengers survive.  I find stories about air crashes fascinating but still want to see everyone live.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

A delightful little show called "Feed The Beasts" is airing on Thursday mornings in my market.  It is all about the Smithsonian National Zoo.  I love it!  :-)

Thanks for the heads up. I just added it to my DVR!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Thanks for the heads up. I just added it to my DVR!

6 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I'll look for it.  I used to see zoo trucks, loaded with bamboo, when I'd drive to work.

I cannot help myself - I am addicted to all things animal.  My local (San Diego) channels air all sorts of animal/wildlife/ rescue shows, but this Smithsonian Zoo feeding program is pretty fucking cool.  There was another show, on another channel, about the Bronx Zoo, that I also loved ...

Air Disasters has added some new, or at least different ones, to the mix.
I keep thinking about the one where the leading edge part of the wing fell off, over that farm in Texas.
When the maintenance workers came in on the next shift, and they saw all screws still left there, and no plane, surely someone had an "oh shit" moment.
If they'd have 'fessed up, and sent out an alert, those people might have been saved.

The Weather Channel is showing something called Why Planes Crash.
Maybe we should an air crashes or aviation, genre file.
There's also Alaska Aircraft Investigations, that would fit there.