Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Full Frontal With Samantha Bee in the News

• Start Topic

Sorry "for offending [you]," -- I hate that non-apology apology crap, no matter who it's from.

You went on TV and told people you don't know to fuck off because you didn't like their haircuts.  

So much for the "broad coalition of decency" you spoke of in January, Sam.  

Life comes at you fast, don't it?

6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Polarizing funny lady Samantha Bee has apologized for a segment that inadvertantly mocked a young, politically conservative brain cancer patient as having a “Nazi haircut.”

“We deeply apologize for offending @_that_kyle in our CPAC segment,” the show said on Twitter. “ We only learned of his condition today & have removed him from the piece.”

2 hours ago, rallymantis said:

Sorry "for offending [you]," -- I hate that non-apology apology crap, no matter who it's from.

I don't understand. How is this a non-apology? "Sorry for offending you" is an absolutely legitimate apology, using active voice, in which the person apologizing takes direct responsibility for causing offense. A NON-apology would be "Sorry you were offended," which uses the passive voice, and does not make any connection between the person stating the apology and the offense caused, nor does it condemn the thing that caused offense.

They made a mistake when they didn't have all the information, and when they learned more, they issued a real apology and fixed their error. Making fun of someone's haircut is not appropriate when that person is a cancer survivor and is possibly not able to choose their hairstyle, and may have real sensitivity around the issue. The show seems to understand this, and took action to remove the inappropriate joke as soon as they became aware of it. I don't see any ducking or shirking of responsibility here. Making jabs at people's race, weight, sex, physical appearance (especially health-related), or other attribute that is beyond their control is cruel, but making fun of people's style choices, or how they choose to express themselves, CAN be mean-spirited, but is fairer game. It's not mocking someone's IDENTITY, only their CHOICES. And this is the foundation of a pretty large portion of entertainment on TV and online. I don't agree with it, but I don't think they were completely out of line to go there in the first place.

• Love 19

I've been reading the political semantic hair-splitting, which requires lengthy verbal gymnastics to defend, including "Gah, get a sense of humor!"  

Sometimes something is just a miss, and sometimes in the all-consuming desire to show how awful everyone associated with one political party is, you do something that you shouldn't.  Maybe I misunderstood what Sam said about "decency" during that interview in January.

Huge mileage issue, obviously.

• Love 1

Well, sure, all comedians have "misses" sometimes, regardless of their politics. It's their responses to the "misses" that is most telling. Do they apologize and take back what they can? Or do they stand by it, using nonsense like "Sorry you were offended," or "get a sense of humour" to try and defend themselves? I'm fine with mileage varying, but I only see Sam doing the former. Where are you seeing the latter?

• Love 10

I'm not getting a sense "Well, okay, if we have to" from their apology, nor do I get the sense that they think people are just being humorless gits about the whole thing.  They removed the offensive content once they discovered the problem.

• Love 4

Emmy nominations for Full Frontal:

OUTSTANDING VARIETY TALK SERIES

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SERIES

OUTSTANDING INTERACTIVE PROGRAM

Emmy nominations for Full Frontal With Samantha Bee Presents Not The White House Correspondents' Dinner:

OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A VARIETY, NONFICTION, EVENT OR AWARD SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING VARIETY SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SPECIAL

• Love 5

Not announced at the show, but the show won a minor Emmy!

Writing for a Variety Special
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee Presents Not the White House Correspondents’ Dinner - WINNER
Louis C.K. 2017
Sarah Silverman: A Speck of Dust
Stephen Colbert’s Live Election Night Democracy’s Series Finale: Who’s Going to Clean Up This Sht?*
70th Annual Tony Awards

Yay Sam and Full Frontal! Bigger things to come next year!

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

'Full Frontal With Samantha Bee' Renewed for 2 More Seasons at TBS

The Turner-owned cable network announced Thursday that it has renewed its late-night staple for an additional two seasons. That keeps the show on Kevin Reilly's comedy-focused cabler through 2020. Bee's deal with Turner, where she also serves as an exec producer on The Detour (starring her husband/exec producer Jason Jones), runs through 2022.

The pickup comes as Bee remains one of two female late-night TV hosts (joining BET's Robin Thede) and after she took home an Emmy for outstanding writing for Full Frontal's "Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner" special., a TCA Award, WGA nomination, two PGA noms and four DGA noms. (The show has a 100 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes.) The new season begins Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 10:30 p.m. (The show's current renewal cycle expires this month.)

• Love 7

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/samantha-bee-get-more-tbs-oversight-ivanka-trump-slur-1117430

Apparently the opening segment last night is actually based more in reality than you might think...

On May 31, TBS acted quickly to put out a growing firestorm after popular host Samantha Bee used the c-word to describe first daughter Ivanka Trump on her Full Frontal show. The morning after Bee made the comment, the network sent out an unambiguous apology from the comedian and released a strong statement saying that she was right to apologize for her "vile and inappropriate language."

Following the backlash, network management will have more scrutiny over Bee's show, a source with knowledge of the situation told The Hollywood Reporter. The plan is for management to work with the show to prevent another incident that could potentially scare advertisers and draw condemnation from both sides of the political aisle. (TBS declined to comment on the record.)

The network had previously given Bee essentially full creative license, with a source close to the company saying that management has supported her artistic vision of the show.

• Love 1

Four major Emmy noms for FFwSB, plus three for the Puerto Rico special! This is a fantastic achievement, as noted by Vanity Fair:

Samantha Bee and the entire Full Frontal team should be feeling pretty great right now. The TBS show scored four major Emmy nominations on Thursday morning, and was one of only three series to earn the triple crown of late-night nods: outstanding variety talk show, writing, and direction. (The other two series to pull that off? The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, currently the No. 1 show in late night, and TV Academy favorite Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.)

• Love 3

From this week's 'Little Victories' FFwSB newsletter:

THIS IS NOT A GAME EDITION: THE GAME

Did you know in addition to being Canadian and roasting her own chickpeas, Sam is a coder who builds apps? And as luck would have it, she's created a SUPER FUN NEW TRIVIA GAME (WITH A CASH PRIZE!)  just in time for the midterm elections! Download it on your phone now!

Sam wants you to get excited about the 2018 midterm elections in the best way possible: a daily trivia game with a cash prize of up to $5,000! And don’t worry, the game isn’t rigged; it’s for everyone! We don’t care if you’re Republican, Democrat, Green Party, or Gary Johnson, we just want you to get excited about voting.

Download the app now (you’re one of the first to hear about it!), sign up to play, and be sure to turn on PUSH notifications—because on September 12th, the game (which is not a game) begins!

P.S. Android version launches next week! 

• Love 2
On 9/19/2018 at 9:56 AM, Hanahope said:

I keep missing the game.  its in the middle of my commute home. :(

I'm teaching at the time, so I can't play either! I hope they vary the starting times on this thing or it's not really a great app for many people who, you know, work. It's not like I can tell my middle school class to hold on for five minutes so I can play on my phone outside, since the reception in my room is so terrible the game wouldn't connect in there anyway.

17 hours ago, Zanne said:

I'm teaching at the time, so I can't play either! I hope they vary the starting times on this thing or it's not really a great app for many people who, you know, work. It's not like I can tell my middle school class to hold on for five minutes so I can play on my phone outside, since the reception in my room is so terrible the game wouldn't connect in there anyway.

I was so annoyed yesterday.  I got home early enough, but got distracted with kids for like 20 minutes and when I went to do the game, it was already over.  6:10 p.m.  seriously not fair.

• Love 1

I finally got to play last night!  Hooray!

But I immediately had other problems.  First off, I get the question and the four answers, and I touch the right answer.  nothing happens.  I touch it again.  nothing.  then suddenly the screen changes and I'm told I was 'wrong', even though the answer I kept trying to 'click' was correct.  So even though I had "4 lives" (because i did an earlier bonus challenge), I was suddenly in "dead mode."  I could still play, but it wouldnt' count.  Well, it said I would earn more "lives", but afterwards, I still only had 4 lives.

This they put a line near the bottom of the screen with "dead mode" below it.  From then on, I could not "click" the bottem answer of any question.  It would not engage.  I did figure out how to engage one of the top three answers, I just had to keep pushing it and pushing it and pushing it until it finally turned red.

the quiz wasn't too difficult, but there were 2 questions that were challenging.  I got one right, but not the other.

I reported the formating problem (the inability to click on the bottom answer), but idk if they'll fix it.

Back in April, Sam was on David Tennant's podcast. I have just got around to listening to it and it's GREAT. The first 20 minutes or so are about FFwSB, then she talks about her early life and getting into comedy, then her time on The Daily Show and some stuff about her kids. About 10 minutes before the end there's a really good bit about the reaction to the 'feckless c*nt' comment.

Highly recommended.

Edited by purist
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

David Tennant has a podcast?!??!

Yes, and it's really good. Amazing line-up of guests in the first season - as well as Sam, he spoke to Olivia Colman, Tina Fey, Jon Hamm, Krysten Ritter and heaps more big names. The link in my previous post has more info. 🙂

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

Sound off . . . anyone else at Sam’s panel at New York Comic Con right now?

ETA: Here was what the panel was promoting. Except for the small mob scene for free t-shirts afterward, it was fun. I hope it’ll get covered on Wednesday. 🤞

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Emmy noms! Has anyone seen the 'short form' shows?

• Outstanding Variety Talk Series
  • Outstanding Writing For A Variety Series
  • Outstanding Short Form Variety Series (for Beeing At Home With Samantha Bee)
  • Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction Or Reality Series (for Full Frontal With Samantha Bee Presents: Pandemic Video Diaries)
Edited by purist
  • Love 2
On 3/9/2017 at 8:19 PM, rallymantis said:

You went on TV and told people you don't know to fuck off because you didn't like their haircuts.  

So much for the "broad coalition of decency" you spoke of in January, Sam.  

Life comes at you fast, don't it?

SHE IS AS UGLY ON THE INSIDE AS SHE IS ON THE OUTSIDE

Canceled by Discovery exec who took over all the Warner properties.  He's been canceling some HBO Max series as well.

Maybe Last Week Tonight could face the axe as well.

• Sad 3