Type keyword(s) to search

Killing Fields - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The thing to me about the ex - why go to all that trouble?  When they forced him to come talk to them, he just refused to answer questions.  He could have saved himself a lot of money if he just did that at the beginning.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have to say I was disappointed in the lack of resolution, although I felt it coming.  It seemed like a lot of hours of driving around the swamps and listening to Rodie philosophize for not much results.  And while I acknowledge that in the real world that's how it is, I think it's asking a lot of an audience to put in that much time for that kind of outcome.  At least on Cold Justice when nothing can be resolved I've only spent an hour on it.  It was nicely done overall, and I did enjoy the people, especially Aubrey, but I highly doubt I'd watch again if they do another one.  

An article written prior to the series, with a lot of backstory on Eugenie's disappearance and murder:

http://starcasm.net/archives/337485

Not the first time this case has been reopened:

http://www.lsunow.com/cold-case-reopened/article_5075dc3c-8ab9-5e54-9008-667aa5c030a5.html

Finally, for all those who are not aware of Derrick Todd Lee's history, or that he died :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Todd_Lee

http://theadvocate.com/news/14639119-127/breaking-convicted-serial-killer-derrick-todd-lee-dies-at-local-hospital

• Love 1

My brother says he heard it will resume in March. Anyone else hear that?

Also in the media thread an article said it has been renewed for 6 more episodes. It sounds to me like they planned 6 original episodes to see how it went and the response was so good they agreed to put more money into it.

• Love 3

I would watch a show with Aubrey and Leslie traveling the roads of LA, stamping out crime wherever they find it.  Besides, I think I would watch most anything set in LA.  All I have to do is hear that it's in Cajun country and the theme song to "True Blood" pops into my mind.

I don't know if the husband was or wasn't involved but it does look hinky for him to show up at an interview with all those lawyers.  But, I don't blame him for doing so because the ID channel and The First 48 pop into mind.  I would like to see them solve it but I don't know how that will happen since they can't match DNA.  I'll tune in if they do another show simply because I grew to like the detectives involved.  I didn't care for Rodie at first but I realized this episode that I do find him entertaining in some weird way.

• Love 4

I would watch a show with Aubrey and Leslie traveling the roads of LA, stamping out crime wherever they find it.  Besides, I think I would watch most anything set in LA.  All I have to do is hear that it's in Cajun country and the theme song to "True Blood" pops into my mind.

I don't know if the husband was or wasn't involved but it does look hinky for him to show up at an interview with all those lawyers.  But, I don't blame him for doing so because the ID channel and The First 48 pop into mind.  I would like to see them solve it but I don't know how that will happen since they can't match DNA.  I'll tune in if they do another show simply because I grew to like the detectives involved.  I didn't care for Rodie at first but I realized this episode that I do find him entertaining in some weird way.

I LOVE that song, Nurse Gigi!

I'd watch the Aubrey & Rodie road show any day.  ;-)

• Love 4

I would love to know more about the original investigation.  Why were some of these things not done?  I suppose money was a factor and also the assumption of Derrick Todd Lee being her killer.  It's weird that they are just finding out certain things about the ex-husband now, though.  

I hate to say but I suspect it's almost entirely because of poor work by Rodie. It seemed strange to leave so much about the original investigation not touched upon, and the things that were, were things being done now because they weren't done then. 

And honestly, focusing on the ex having remarried so quickly - hello, Rodie, with six marriages under your belt. How would his relationship history hold up under close scrutiny? I know the partner made a comment about that, but it was fleeting compared with the amount of talk made about the suspicious-ness of the ex's behavior, based on his marital history. Personally, the ex was also very smart to not talk to the police without legal counsel present at any point. That should be the first thing anyone is ever taught about talking with the police. Do not buy into "if you're innocent, why wouldn't you talk/come in/offer DNA"? There's a million reasons to have a lawyer at your side and not a single good one for cooperating just to prove you are "not suspicious." 

I doubt without a confession that they will ever be able to close the case. 

• Love 1

I hate to say but I suspect it's almost entirely because of poor work by Rodie. It seemed strange to leave so much about the original investigation not touched upon, and the things that were, were things being done now because they weren't done then.

I agree. I realize the precinct was strapped for cash, so much so that they couldn't even afford body bags at the time, but that doesn't explain why Rodie only did a phone conversation with the ex-husband.  Why didn't he drive out to the ex's house himself and interview him in person, or have him come down to the station then?  That's not a money problem, that's a shoddy policework problem.

• Love 2

Well, at least I found this episode entertaining enough to watch the whole thing.  And Aubrey is a cutie pie, so there's that.  The thing I'm really missing from this show is more information on Eugenie and who she was as a person, other than the same photos of her as a bridesmaid that they show over and over again.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 1

I found this through some Google-fu;

Killing Fields, Discovery's first venture into the criminal reality genre, is set to return with at least six additional episodes...The network did not yet clarify whether the all-new episodes will continue to report new developments in the Baton Rouge murder mystery featured in the beginning of the freshman season, or will track a completely different investigation. It seems more likely that the investigation will be continued due to the fact that the case is far from being solved
  • Love 2

They must have been preparing us for the lack of resolution with the constant mentions of it unfolding in "real time."

Unfortunately, it sounds like Rodie did some shoddy police work the first time around, which doesn't jibe with him being haunted by the case. However, he's a colorful character that was made for TV, and Aubrey is great eye candy. I liked the rest of the gang too.

Rodie talked about his promises to Eugenie's family, but does anyone know why they weren't involved? It's their only chance for new leads, but maybe they felt it was exploitative.

So we never really got to know Eugenie. They only had one photo and the "missing" poster, and her appearance changed drastically. There were some missing pieces and without that context, it didn't have as much emotional impact.

There were some hinky things about the ex, but I can't blame him for not wanting to be filmed or for lawyering up, although three attorneys was unusual. I just can't fault people for exercising their constitutional rights. Maybe he didn't want to give DNA because of his right to privacy, and yet this was repeated over and over as suspicious. I was actually surprised by how many people offered up their DNA. It's probably a lot of pressure.

Having said that, I liked the show enough to keep tuning in, and I'll probably be back if they have more developments.

• Love 3

There's not a thing in the world wrong with "lawyering up". I would, and advise anyone else to.

The problem with the ex was that he wasn't willing to make himself available EVEN WITH a lawyer (or 3). They had to resort to a subpoena. Then, his lawyers tried to quash it. THAT'S what made it suspicious.

Rodie didn't talk to the ex in the first investigation. A private detective did. Rodie answered that in a Q and A on Facebook.

Rodie didn't talk to the ex in the first investigation. A private detective did. Rodie answered that in a Q and A on Facebook.

• Love 3

I've read all the threads and posts for this show, but can't remember if I read this: tomorrow night my DVR is set to record another new episode. The description says it's unseen footage so I don't expect any revelations. With all the repetition, especially in this episode, I can't imagine they held back anything that interesting, but I'm going to watch anyway. 

• Love 1

I guess I'm so consumed by this show that even repeated information left me on the edge of my chair. LOL.

Actually, there were enough new scenes to make it interesting. Nothing really moved the case along but I enjoy watching them work together.

Edited by Ina123
  • Love 2

Yeah, I've recommended this show to a few people who I thought would enjoy it for the scenery and for Rodie and Aubrey. I made sure they knew that there wasn't a resolution (yet?), but I found it a really nice change of pace from my usual fare of Investigation Discovery shows...

• Love 2

"Unseen footage from the series is presented."

So they rehash the same clips multiple times that they've rehashed multiple times before.  They really do think their audience is stupid, don't they?

I liked the DNA imaging segment, it's a shame the DNA in the case was too degraded to use it.

• Love 1

Aubrey is the best part of the scenery.

Louisiana is beautiful, though.

I'm weirdly drawn to Rodie. I love his voice and some of the things he says are so touching. I'm glad his health is okay.

I hope they solve this, but I'm beginning to think they won't ever.

• Love 3

I've wondered if The Vanishing Women is a kind of continuation of the criminal reality series on Discovery.  The show is about the disappearance of several women in Chillicothe, Ohio from 2014-2015.  I've watched the first five episodes but they have delayed the sixth episode reportedly due to the arrest and upcoming trial of the person believed to have murdered one of the women.  You can see full episodes on the Investigation Discovery website.   

• Love 1
5 hours ago, etexlady said:

I've wondered if The Vanishing Women is a kind of continuation of the criminal reality series on Discovery.  The show is about the disappearance of several women in Chillicothe, Ohio from 2014-2015.  I've watched the first five episodes but they have delayed the sixth episode reportedly due to the arrest and upcoming trial of the person believed to have murdered one of the women.  You can see full episodes on the Investigation Discovery website.   

Sadly, we could have a new series every month about missing women, and not even scratch the surface.

For example : https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/canada-the-missing-first-nations/5720e9735ee98e4a2cbc0e0d

• Love 1

Just watched and a couple things:

1- the ex hubby...he didn't appear to b rich but that's me judging on the clothes he was wearing and his neighborhood they were staked out at (not poor but certainly no DJ Trump). And he mentioned spending $15K on his lawyer before he added the 2nd and 3rd ones. Would you do that just to avoid letting your 2nd wife discover that you fooled around with the ex 20 years ago? Now wife #2 knows anyway. Money wasted. And him saying he had no idea she was dead. BS! They did say the Eugenie came from money. I wonder if ex hubs inherited any money from her.

2- Why wasn't ex hubby brought in and his alibi checked back 20 years ago? Seems like Rodie dropped the ball there.

3- They think she disappeared from the lakes area where they found her ID, CC and keys but what if they were tossed there? I suspect she went out with Robert and fooled around and maybe a certain someone didn't like that so he was waiting at her place when she returned and said 'lets take a drive'. Maybe after he dumped her body he then tossed her stuff that she left in his car.

• Love 1

I was really hoping they would stop that weird slow motion stuff. It's way too dramatic.

So I guess now we'll be following Eugenie's case as well as the guy they found in the barrel. It sucks that the guy basically confessed and they couldn't put him away because they didn't have the body.

Also, is it realistic that they would find the ex-husband's silver Nissan? It'd be at least 20 years old, right? Possible I guess.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

So I guess now we'll be following Eugenie's case as well as the guy they found in the barrel. It sucks that the guy basically confessed and they couldn't put him away because they didn't have the body.

You know, that actually surprised me.

So if someone kills a person, goes 100 miles out in the middle of the ocean, dumps the body and then confesses, they can't prosecute them? That really doesn't make much sense...am I missing something here?

• Love 4
On 07/01/2017 at 9:26 PM, Jenkins said:

So if someone kills a person, goes 100 miles out in the middle of the ocean, dumps the body and then confesses, they can't prosecute them? That really doesn't make much o sense...am I missing something here?

I was asking myself the same thing, I wikipedied and found that it's indeed difficult, even with a confession and there isn't a lot of case convicted with a missing body.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_conviction_without_a_body

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murder_convictions_without_a_body#United_States

Turns out, even with a confession, there could still be mistakes.
In spite of advances in forensic technology, the possibility of the supposed victim turning up alive remains. In 2003, Leonard Fraser, having allegedly confessed to the murder of teenager Natasha Ryan, was on trial for this, and other murders, when she reappeared after having been missing for four years.[18]
The possibility of a coerced confession or just a plein crazy suspect is a turn off for the court without a body?

• Love 2

Wow, learn something new every day.

The guy admitted the crime on tape and on wire tap, so it seems this guy was/is just taunting Rodie, knowing he can't actually do anything about it.

I have NOT looked up any details on this case because I don't want to spoil anything, but I think they will convict him (though the show is sort of in real time). Why else would they show that witness (the older blonde woman) saying what she said? If the guy is as dangerous as they say, she wouldn't be that safe otherwise?

• Love 3
On 1/7/2017 at 3:26 PM, Jenkins said:

So if someone kills a person, goes 100 miles out in the middle of the ocean, dumps the body and then confesses, they can't prosecute them? That really doesn't make much sense...am I missing something here?

Yeah, law enforcement has to have something concrete in addition to a confession.  Corpus delecti or some body of evidence.  It might not be the actual body of the person, but, some physical evidence.  (I didn't realize that the states vary on there requirements.) Here's a link about it.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/is-confession-alone-enough-convict-defendant.html

I watched portions of this series, but, the drama starting playing with my head. I began to wonder if it was actually scripted or not.  Just the facts would appeal to me more.  All that embellishment isn't needed, imo.

• Love 4

Is anyone watching this show?!

It's moving so slow! Although discouraging, I imagine this is very close to real life where there's a lot of anticipation (and inevitable disappointment) that the next "thing" could be "the one."

I hope they find something in the house (after 25 years!). It was so creepy the way Tommy was following Arlene around that grocery store.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 1

I watch this show.  I dvr it because my husband likes this show and he gets up at 2 am.  

I tried to google Eugenia ex-husband's name and came up with not much of anything.  Two different names.  

• Love 2

Well, I am watching it and loving it, I love Robie and Aubrey's comedy act, they are both so hunky in their own little way, oh and the show is fantastic as well. Believe me, the husband killed that gal, they have to GET HIM.  It's driving me nuts. 

• Love 3

Yeah, that was glaring. As officers they should know better! It was funny seeing them get snoballs - they are all the rage around here now and I spent last summer obsessed with them.

So, one of the key witnesses ended up murdered a year later? Yikes. And I can't believe they didn't mention that until now.

• Love 2

A couple new episodes...I have to admit I was on pins and needles during that stakeout even though I spoiled myself and knew that they got Francise already. He has a lot of nerve asking for a low bond.

Aubrey was wearing his seatbelt this week but Rodie wasn't!

• Love 1

*ALL* he cared about was low bond...low...bond...low bond. I'm surprised now he didn't say it while he was laying face down on the asphalt. LOL. That said, I hope he's convicted and never gets out.

• Love 1

Yup, last episode of the season I am afraid.

I was REALLY hoping we would get to see them search for that damn barrel! I mean, how far could the barrel be off shore if all he did was roll it in?

The guy was a pure scumbag with zero remorse. Only concerned with a damn bond and not the fact he destroyed multiple peoples lives. I don't see how with all the testimony they have from multiple witnesses, he isn't locked up for the rest of his life.

• Love 1

When interviewing the jailbird witness, I was surprised he'd ask a leading question like (paraphrasing), "Did he tell you anything about how he got rid of the body, like, did he use a barrel?"  He shouldn't have mentioned the barrel in the question.

I've warmed up to Rodie, he and Aubrey make a cute team.  My dad watches the show too and we both agree the best part of the episode is when they bicker with each other in the car.  I want a banana smoothie, even with joint repair.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

There's another episode on next Tuesday (2/28).  I'm not sure what it's about since last night's episode seemed to wrap up the season (and the case, since Francise's now sitting in jail awaiting his trial), but just FYI in case anyone's interested.

• Love 2

Yeah @GreyBunny, that was weird about the barrel question. So they brought us up to basically present day? I guess they'll search the levee now. My DVR cut off during the last minute showing the text - did they leave us hanging about the color of the Nissan? Next week's description seems to be about a different case, but maybe they'll follow up on that?

• Love 1
On 2/22/2017 at 9:51 PM, LotusFlower said:

There's another episode on next Tuesday (2/28).  I'm not sure what it's about since last night's episode seemed to wrap up the season (and the case, since Francise's now sitting in jail awaiting his trial), but just FYI in case anyone's interested.

Just FYI, this seemingly stand alone (not part of the Francise case or the Boisfontaine case) episode is now scheduled for 3/7.  I'm guessing it might have been moved due to the televised POTUS address. 

As for search for the barrel, I haven't seen anything released in the local media regarding discovery of any body.  If I do, I'll post it in the media thread in the off season.  Between this, Murder Chose Me, and The New Orleans Detectives' Club, you'd think I'd wise up and move out of this death trap state or apply for a job with the ID channel. LOL!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Just FYI, this seemingly stand alone (not part of the Francise case or the Boisfontaine case) episode is now scheduled for 3/7.  I'm guessing it might have been moved due to the televised POTUS address. 

Thanks for the heads up.

• Love 1