Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

I liked Calvin and was disappointed he and his mom are gone after one episode. But the mom really deserves better than Abe. Despite the feud Homer created with Calvin, I'm glad he emphasized with Homer when he realized how awful Abe was to his own son.

• Love 2

For once, I’m glad the status quo resumed at the end of the episode. Since Abe never really owned up to his crappy parenting at the end, let alone apologized, Homer isn’t obligated to suddenly start taking his calls.

You could argue Homer’s parenting isn’t much better than Abe’s, but at least he tries. Abe’s taken out his bitterness about Mona on Homer since forever.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

For once, I’m glad the status quo resumed at the end of the episode. Since Abe never really owned up to his crappy parenting at the end, let alone apologized, Homer isn’t obligated to suddenly start taking his calls.

You could argue Homer’s parenting isn’t much better than Abe’s, but at least he tries. Abe’s taken out his bitterness about Mona on Homer since forever.

Agreed.  Homer is a bad parent, but he does try, and he has a good heart.  He just sucks at it.  Abe is just miserable and resentful.  This episode showed that he can be kind hearted, when he thought that Homer was Calvin he was so nice to him, and when he thought that Calvin was Homer he was so nasty.  He basically hates Homer and always has.  

On 11/20/2022 at 7:35 PM, Galileo908 said:

As someone who spent time in retirement homes, I’m surprised Bart & Lisa’s parties weren’t shut down like immediately.

Yeah, there's no way those parties would have happened.  Never mind the music, how would you sneak a pooping pony inside?  I'd like to suspend disbelief, but this was too much.

I did like Lisa's realisation that she doesn't get invited to parties because she's a narc and a debbie downer and an all around goody two shoes complainer and whistleblower.  Because... she is.  I was worried this was going to turn into another Very Special Lisa episode since she is by far my least favourite character, but I liked that Bart was with her and trying to help her "be cool".  The ending was acceptable where the kids all thought she was great... wondering if this is going to stick.  Probably not.  IRL she would try to remove the stick from her butt after this realisation, but I don't think Lisa is ever going to change.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

There's a bit of a weird disconnect for me over Homer's relationship with Abe being played for sympathy rather than comedy considering that Homer has been shown repeatedly strangling his own 10 year old son for the entire series but it's played for laughs rather than traumatic.

I don't want Homer to face a reckoning over it or anything, it's a cartoon and it's comedy, but it's always an odd line in the tonal sand where they decide when to have the characters treat over the top awful behavior as actually awful rather than just treating it like a mild annoyance for comedic fodder.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

There's a bit of a weird disconnect for me over Homer's relationship with Abe being played for sympathy rather than comedy considering that Homer has been shown repeatedly strangling his own 10 year old son for the entire series but it's played for laughs rather than traumatic.

I don't want Homer to face a reckoning over it or anything, it's a cartoon and it's comedy, but it's always an odd line in the tonal sand where they decide when to have the characters treat over the top awful behavior as actually awful rather than just treating it like a mild annoyance for comedic fodder.

Maybe people are willing to shrug it off because Bart is a horrible brat who borders on complete sociopathy. Not saying it’s right but it is a cartoon.

Opening: Santa pulled by drones!

Ooh. this time it's a sequel to Lisa's Date with Density, in the Lisa's Wedding timeline. Kind of. She's better off pretending Hugh didn't exist.

Lisa would fall for a guy like Hubert. He's as if Milhouse grew up to be Elon Musk.

Didn't expect Jimbo and Sophie ending up together. And Jackie Mason showing up one last time via hologram.

Honestly liked the tag with the clones of Lincoln and Reagan falling in love. And running against the clones of Jimmy Carter and Grover Cleveland.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, Galileo908 said:

Season 34, ep 2: One Angry Lisa

Airs 10/2/22

Just saw this. The episode is oddly titled because Lisa’s jury duty felt more like a B-plot to the Pedalon story. I wonder if there was much more to her storyline that was later edited out, it somehow felt very unfinished. 

Watching this it amazes me how Marge has evolved into a terrible spouse to Homer over the last several years when he tries to do right by her with her willingness to cheat on him with the Pedalon instructor (granted over bike video conferencing, but still)!

Edited by Not4Me
  • Love 1

Wow, so many bleeps and not even a minute in.

The show finally takes on Roblox! I have no idea what Roblox is, but the graphics were cool. And I assume it uses Super Mario sound fx. Let me keep my denial. I caught a Roblox version of Samantha Stanky, among other characters.

I liked that the rival scammers were kids in the fancy Montessori school. And I enjoyed Bart and Skinner's 

Marge and Homer talking to Maggie in Roblox was cute. And loved Flanders finding the family gross and glued to their screens.

"Josh Gad was not real. He never was."

• Love 3

Maggie talking in emojis is brilliant.

Wow Skinner put the screws on Martin. I have no idea why the Montessori girl was carrying a chicken, but I laughed.

Also brilliant Wire send up. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

There must've been some quick scrambling in Simpsons HQ. Skinner had a line referring to someone's "Rolls Royce Fidget Spinner" or some high-end brand like that but the closed-captioning said "Balenciaga Fannypack". 

• Useful 1

The voices sound odd, not like how they usually sound but not like it's because the actors are aging.

I liked Maggie's story. Using emojis as her voice was cute and clever. Also I always enjoy when Skinner does had things.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

The voices sound odd, not like how they usually sound but not like it's because the actors are aging.

I've thought the same thing, but for the past several seasons, and I can't put my finger on what exactly it is. It's like everyone's recording their lines inside a vacuum or something.

• Love 1

Moe episode! And it's a (kind of) retread of Lisa on Ice, where it's Moe's team vs King Toot's. But instead of a touching brother/sister story, it's more befitting of Moe, recruiting Nelson to be the team goon. Honestly, it was a good relationship dynamic I'm surprised the show never tried before. Same with Nelson working as a henchman for Fat Tony.

It took me a few seconds to realize what "Estee Dionne Malip" meant, but man, that was a good way to bring back the crank call gag. And Moe STILL didn't know who sent it.

I feel Homer about sports. I, too, don't like driving people to things.

This was a fun episode that I wasn't expecting to like so much.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

And Moe STILL didn't know who sent it.

I'm going to send it straight to my junk.

We've had a couple of weeks of Nelson building. I still think he would be a good bounty hunter. 

One of the goons wiped his tears with a salami slice when Moe was talking Nelson down. 

Fat Tony had a calendar with Goomar of the Month. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

They reran “She of Little Faith” enough times this holiday season to make me angry all over again how Marge acts like an intolerant bitch over Lisa converting to Buddhism and tries to extort/bribe/guilt her back into Christianity, yet is never called out on it and doesn’t learn a damn thing. Helen Lovejoy isn’t the only Karen in Springfield.

Edited by Spartan Girl

Season 34, ep 12: My Life as a Vlog

Through a series of Youtube recommended videos, the story of the rise and fall of the Simpson family vlog is revealed.

Airs 1/1/23

Happy New Year, everyone! Yes, there's a new episode tonight.

The show went experimental again! This time a series of vlogs explaining how the family became famous influencers. It's kinda like Behind The Laughter but for the Youtube age. Also, it's so weird to see actual brands in this show, especially Youtube.

I'm pretty sure that the Leave Britney Alone and David After Dentist videos can legally vote now.

It's of course, all lies. Exposed by Milhouse. Lisa's eco videos are all staged, and Bart's prank buddies are all paid kids.

Not surprised that Maggie is scared of the Minions, while Milhouse loves them. Especially the girl one.

I liked Marge starting a Hot Ones-like talk show where celebs eat fatty food. Of course Krusty is the guest. And of course Moe was the Joe Rogan type.

Patty and Selma ASMR gave me the biggest laugh of the episode, followed by Skinner obsessing over a smear frame. And how long was this show sitting on "Frinkileaks"?

I wish the drag queens weren't just a bit at the end of the episode. I liked how it was all George R.R. Martin distracting himself.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2

I liked how they opened the segments with something like 'I don't know where you've been for the last four months, but this is what happened.'

'10 easter eggs about World War II' - Batman was on one of the boats.

Wrestling the seal was a great sight gag. I hope Lenny and Carl keep the podcast going though. That seems in-character for them. 

49 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Patty and Selma ASMR gave me the biggest laugh of the episode, followed by Skinner obsessing over a smear frame. And how long was this show sitting on "Frinkileaks"?

The iguana was frowning. 

55 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I liked how it was all George R.R. Martin distracting himself.

'Game of some kind of other chair?'
Jon Snow can singdance!

• Like 2

Here's the Youtube clips and links seen throughout the episode:

-- Hero Cat Foils Package Thief -- Mittens' Daddy
-- World War II -- Top 10 Easter Eggs -- WWII Stan
-- Our Brand-new House !! -- TheSimpsonsFamilyChannel
-- Game of D'ohs - Recapping the Simpson Family Vlog -- ComicBookGuy 
-- Love those Crazy Simpsons -- All the News That's Fit to Prince
-- Woo-Hoo Are the Simpsons ? -- Know Homers Club
-- O.J. Simpson's Funniest Moments -- Juice Lover
-- Ten-Year-Old Drugged-Out After Oral Surgery During Family Car Sing-A-Long -- Simpson Family Channel
-- Grampa Simpson's Night Time Skin Care -- Abe Me-Time
-- 'Gurts Gone Wild -- TheSimpsonsFamilyChannel
-- The Dark Side of the Simpson Family -- Truth Wizard
-- Wheelchair Karaoke with Grampa -- Abe Me-Time
-- Deep Fried Thoughts
-- The Simpson Family's Most Problematic Moments! -- Twin Talk
-- Helen Lovejoy Spills the Tea on the Simpsons Family -- Live, Laugh, Lovejoy
-- Homer Sucks (Feat. Moe) -- The Lenny and Carl Situation
-- Simpsons Public Meltdowns - Ranked -- Chumnet
-- The Simpson Family Huge Announcement (Brought to you by Cluck-Stop) -- TheSimpsonsFamilyChannel
-- 10 Things We Hate About Santa's Little Helper -- Team Snowball II
-- Frinkileaks -- Professor Frink
-- All the Best Simpsons Conspiracy Videos in One Compilation -- Mr. Montage
-- Seymour Sees More
-- Wegman's World
-- Where A.S.M.R. the Simpsons -- Patty and Selma's Tingle Palace
-- Bart Simpson Illumati Proof -- The All-Seeing Kevin
-- Did the Simpsons Predict the Winner of the Masked Singer ? -- CNN
-- We Located the Simpson Mansion !! -- The Property Damage Brothers
-- Proof Lisa is 33 Years Old -- We Love/Hate Lisa
-- The Secrets of the Simpson Couch -- Sofa Snoops
-- Stepping Up 2 Simpsons -- 'Whatever Bitch' with Shauna !
-- Opal Interviews the Simpson Family -- Opal
-- Bart Simpson Spotted with Tupac at Sbarro -- Cinnabon Blog
-- Lisa Being a Simpson for Eight Straight Minutes -- Judge Jody and Executioner
-- Sims Characters Disappear from Game ! Game Still Boring -- Virtual Personality
-- Dragons: Chinese vs. European -- Dr. Agon
-- 12 Fan Ideas for George R.R. Martin's Next Book -- James of Thrones
-- Fiercest Drag Queen Fights at Waffle House -- The Griddle Girls

Foods spotted in the Panic Room
-- Flaming Cold Cheetos
-- Grimlets Chewless Meal Tabs
-- Forever Tuna
-- Oatmeal Power Energy Bar
-- Espresso Energy drink

George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones Book 6 ideas
-- Ice Werewolves
-- A Girl is No One But Also Some People ?
-- Dragons Breathe Water ?
-- Game of Other Kind of Chair ?
-- Hodor reincarnated as Hodelevator ?
-- Jon Snow can Sing! Dance!
-- Daenerys Freak-Out was Dream
-- Winter Never Comes ?
-- Evil Genie?

Comic Book Guy: "in case you have been living in a Taun-Taun these past 4 months, here's the video that started it all - Cute Baby gets Stage Fright - let's take a look"

Krusty: "The batter is in my lungs.  Owwww, why is this a show ?"

Lots of callbacks to previous episodes -- Milhouse wearing a Puppy Goo-goo sweatshirt, a PowerSauce-sponsored tranquility area inside the Simpsons mansion, Bart's tiles spelling KWYJIBO while playing 
scrabble in the panic room, Jub Jub the lizard.

Plus the sponsors all over the Simpsons house -- a rock-climbing wall sponsored by PolyGrip (Hang Tight with Polygrip), a pool table sponsored by TurboTax, Panic Room sponsored by Mountain Dew Cherry Psychotic Thunder, Coinstar bought them the mansion, Blue Bronco energy Drink, Buzz Cola, Duff Beer.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I love that even the Simpsons producers are joining in on the digs at George RR Martin about the "will never be completed" Book 6.

I loved all the sight gags in the video links, especially "Did the Simpsons predict the winner of The Masked Singer" and a side by side of the Donut.  There's sure to be a Donut on a future U.S. season now.  (I know there was already one on the UK version.)  I love that the pink frosted sprinkles donut is so iconically connected with Homer Simpson that it's possible to go into any donut shop and ask for a "Homer Simpson" and there's no question what you mean. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

At some point, you're going to have to think about the voice actors.

Yeah, I think the show will last as long as the main cast stays on the show. Which hopefully will be a long time still (if they want it).  

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 8:39 AM, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, I think the show will last as long as the main cast stays on the show. Which hopefully will be a long time still (if they want it).  

I did some research:

https://www.famousbirthdays.com/shows/the-simpsons.html

Barring unforeseen health issues or boredom, they'll likely be around for a while.  I heard an interview with Yeardley in which she said that the workload (for her, anyway) is only a couple days a week and of course the money's just stupid.  Why not keep going...

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 3

Really?

Why exactly do you guys want this show to keep going? I’m asking honestly. It’s far past proven its point of longevity. It’s better days are long behind them; yes, there have been some episodes where the writers made more of effort, but sooner or later, they go back to the same crap plot lines they keep recycling over and over. 

Nothing lasts forever. Nothing SHOULD last forever. At some point, it’s better to just bow out gracefully, only I’m pretty sure this show has past the point of a graceful exit.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

At some point, you're going to have to think about the voice actors. 

Seriously. Marge’s voice is just a year or two away from turning into the Cryptkeeper.

• LOL 1
On 1/31/2023 at 5:56 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Really?

Why exactly do you guys want this show to keep going? I’m asking honestly. It’s far past proven its point of longevity. It’s better days are long behind them; yes, there have been some episodes where the writers made more of effort, but sooner or later, they go back to the same crap plot lines they keep recycling over and over. 

Nothing lasts forever. Nothing SHOULD last forever. At some point, it’s better to just bow out gracefully, only I’m pretty sure this show has past the point of a graceful exit.

Seriously. Marge’s voice is just a year or two away from turning into the Cryptkeeper.

Meh, maybe my standards are too low or I give it a pass because it's been a part of my life since Season 1 and I have a great deal of nostalgic affection for it, but I still find it enjoyable.

I agree, they don't hit it out of the park with every episode but (for me at least), the good outweighs the bad. And when there's a clunker, as the theme song to MST3K goes, I repeat to myself "It's just a show, I should really just relax." 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Meh, maybe my standards are too low or I give it a pass because it's been a part of my life since Season 1 and I have a great deal of nostalgic affection for it, but I still find it enjoyable.

I no longer watch every new episode, but I will check them out if I remember. I hung in there for a good 25-30 years, and can probably recite 80% of the lines from the first nine seasons.

If the show were retired at any point now, I'd be fine with it, but by no means do I wish it WOULD retire.

It's social satire. The characters have their specific traits, and in any given week be worked into whatever the show wants to satirize. There's no reason it can't go on for as long as everyone involved can go on.

In other words, there's no expected character development (from me) that would put it on a timeline where I would think "It's about time for Bart to have learned from the previous 63 times this happened to him" in this show. That's not the way this show works or what works for this show.

• Like 3

Couch Gag: Yeah, the Yarn Homer couch gag (provided by the Robot Chicken people) was great. Even the ALF cameo was pretty fun.

Yes, the family has every right to laugh at Homer for it being so in character for him to get involved with Fat Tony. But every single member of the family had gotten involved with him. More than once. Hell, Fat Tony was Maggie's babysitter a few months back.

But this time, it was Flanders, being way too naive to think that he was dealing with mobsters. It was oddly satisfying to see Don Vittorio again, and the Flowers By Irene truck and the crawlspace apartment. But overall, this entire plot had been done so much better before. Hell, the "A Serious Flanders" two parter did this plot much, much better.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 4
34 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Even the ALF cameo was pretty fun.

Canceled at exactly the right time. 
Nice burn.

I'm all for Flanders darker episodes. This was a little naive even for him. 

Nice shot of the pork store from the Sopranos. 

The dart board in Fat Tony's office was of Wiggum. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: Yeah, the Yarn Homer couch gag (provided by the Robot Chicken people) was great. Even the ALF cameo was pretty fun.

That was the actual voice of ALF, Paul Fusco. Al Jean and Mike Reiss were writers for "ALF" early in their TV writing career. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3